Home

My thoughts on the novel *POSSIBLE MAJOR SPOILERS*

Posted By: waynethegame

My thoughts on the novel *POSSIBLE MAJOR SPOILERS* - 11/20/04 04:29 PM

CAUTION: In my review I do mention some plots and happenings in the book.. so here's another SPOILER WARNING. Proceed at your own risk

Well my book arrived the other day and I just finished reading it yesterday (yeah, I read fast!). I have to say.. I didn't enjoy it at all.

Winegardner tried WAY too hard to mimic the style of the original novel, and failed miserably at it. His writing is just stupid in certain parts, and he throws in a lot of unnecessary description (I know that Puzo did the same, but his descriptions added to the mood. Winegardner's didn't). Some things from GFII weren't mentioned at all or changed completely. The new storylines were ridiculously stupid (Fredo being bi and Sonny's daughter running over her husband) and half the characters didn't act a thing like they did in the movies (for example, Tom shooting that one guy on the gondola).

The writing was decent, but I have to admit the novel came off more like someone's attempt at fanfiction (and not a good one, at that) than an actual sequel. I also didn't like the fact that, while certain characters (Roth, Johnny Ola) were mentioned, important characters like Pentangeli weren't even acknowledged.

So my final verdict is a big thumbs down on The Godfather Returns. It doesn't do the novel or the films any justice at all and half of the plots are too cliche and/or stupid to make the novel enjoyable. I could probably find much better writing online, and not have to pay any money for it.
Posted By: Don Sonny Corleone

Re: My thoughts on the novel *POSSIBLE MAJOR SPOILERS* - 11/21/04 12:17 AM

I must say i have to agree with you. Winegardener tried way to hard to squeeze into a writng style which didnt suit him. Did anyone notice there are exactally the same amount of "books" in each book, and if I'm not mistaken, roughly the same amount of chapters in each book, not to mention the flashback in the middle.
Posted By: waynethegame

Re: My thoughts on the novel *POSSIBLE MAJOR SPOILERS* - 11/21/04 02:20 AM

Exactly. Being a Floridian, I publicly apologize for this garbage
Posted By: J Geoff

Re: My thoughts on the novel *POSSIBLE MAJOR SPOILERS* - 11/21/04 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Sonny Corleone:
Did anyone notice there are exactally the same amount of "books" in each book, and if I'm not mistaken, roughly the same amount of chapters in each book,
He told me that it started unintentionally, but after a while he noticed it. So then he didn't try too hard NOT to follow the same trend, just for fun...

I thought I mentioned that in my "questions?" thread :p
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET