Home

About the novel's sequel, 'The Godfather Returns'

Posted By: Vito's Legacy

About the novel's sequel, 'The Godfather Returns' - 05/18/03 12:34 PM

Now remember, the novel ended with Michael moving the Corleone family out west to Nevada at the new compound at Lake Tahoe. (Which is where GF2 picks up)

I was thinking, wouldn't it be great if the author penning the novel's sequel, 'The Godfather Returns', took the story up from here as well... but in a completely different way to GF2? I'm sure they are many ways you could take Michael attempting to completely legitimise the family, and I'm sure there would be room for material related to the Corleone's rise to power in the 1930s.

Thoughts?
Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra

Re: About the novel's sequel, 'The Godfather Returns' - 05/18/03 08:42 PM

If Part II hadn't been as successful as it was, I could concede that point VL. However, I could not help but compare with the film, thus would be highly disappointed.

Mick
Posted By: Luca's boy

Re: About the novel's sequel, 'The Godfather Returns' - 05/19/03 05:59 PM

I don't know that it is a good idea to have anyone but Puzo (God rest his soul). So I think it would be disappointing because it would be compared with Puzo's novel. However, it should be written differently from Part II
Posted By: John Patrick

Re: About the novel's sequel, 'The Godfather Returns' - 05/26/03 03:35 PM

What I read is that Puzo wanted to concentrate the next story on two fronts; Sonny seeing his father kill (which is in the novel), thus, deciding his fate and the second story, Vincent as the new don, the story would take place after Mary is killed, with Michael slowly deriorating.
Another possible setting for a story Coppola was said to be considering was the early 70's, which could involve Pacino because Michael wouldn't look as old. Pacino can still pass for a younger Michael than he was in 'Pt.III'.
Personally, I think the early 70's stuff would be more appropriate to the 'Godfather' legacy than anything modern with Vincent. While I did enjoy Andy Garcia's performance in 'III', I don't think they could come up with a suitable story to accomodate a 'Godfather' movie without Michael. Vincent is just too hot headed, which would make a fourth 'Godfather' an action-fest shootout with no main center, which is what Michael is. A 'Godfather' movie without Michael would be like a 'Dirty Harry' movie without Clint Eastwood.
And, I think the novel should be called 'The Godfather - The Continuing Story'.
Posted By: Luca's boy

Re: About the novel's sequel, 'The Godfather Returns' - 05/27/03 08:33 PM

Does anyone know if Winegardener has even started the novel?
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET