Home

THE GODFATHER: THE LOST YEARS coming in November, 2004

Posted By: ACK_NO. 1

THE GODFATHER: THE LOST YEARS coming in November, 2004 - 01/18/04 06:48 PM

From Entertainment Weekly #747, January 23/30, 2004:

THE GODFATHER: THE LOST YEARS

When Random House Invited Mark Winegardner to apply for his current gig - writing a sequel to "The Godfather" - he was flattered but bewildered; it was an offer he could maybe refuse. The author of two literary novels, he hadn't read Mario Puzo's Mafia hit since he was a kid, and then, like so many of us, he was looking for the dirty parts. ("It's true," he says. "I told that to Lorrie Moore, and the second I did, she said, 'Page 27!'")

Opening it again, he discovered an enticing hybrid of pulp and literature with an endgame that doesn't add up. Thus, "The Godfather: The Lost Years - The Saga Of The Family Corleone" will square the conclusion of the original with the facts of its film sequel. "There's this agreement to make Las Vegas an open city, and yet, with no explanation at all, they set up shop out there. Now, how does that happen?" (November, 2004)
Posted By: Don Sonny Corleone

Re: THE GODFATHER: THE LOST YEARS coming in November, 2004 - 01/19/04 01:03 AM

I'm really nervous about this coming out, because they have the chance to fuck up the Corleones real bad. I hope its good.I'm crossing my fingers for it.
Posted By: M.M. Floors

Re: THE GODFATHER: THE LOST YEARS coming in November, 2004 - 01/19/04 10:31 AM

Yeah, hope this isn't screwing up everything. But I like a new Godfather thingie.
Posted By: DonTeflon

Re: THE GODFATHER: THE LOST YEARS coming in November, 2004 - 01/22/04 11:33 PM

In my opinion, not that anyone cares, I personally don't think it will be all that great because Mario Puzo isn't writing it. R.I.P.
Posted By: Don Cardi

Re: THE GODFATHER: THE LOST YEARS coming in November, 2004 - 01/31/04 07:07 PM

The way to aproach this book is by NOT having high expectations for it. Take it for what it is, a novel written by another writer besides Puzo who will use his interpretations of the characters just like we do on these boards. Hopefully he will do his homework as he writes this book. It is very hard to live up to the reputation of a classic book written by a great author. When It comes out, I'll read it and enjoy it while I do. If it is a great read, the better, but if not, so be it. Let's face it, we a re all Godfather junkies on here, and we all look for anything of QUALITY regarding The Godfather. Don't pre-judge the book, wait until it comes out, read it, and then make your judgement.

Don Cardi
Posted By: King Tony Montana

Re: THE GODFATHER: THE LOST YEARS coming in November, 2004 - 02/01/04 02:35 AM

It will still be good, but nothing can compare to the original Godfather.
Posted By: Don Lights

Re: THE GODFATHER: THE LOST YEARS coming in November, 2004 - 02/01/04 06:26 AM

I agree with Don Cardi that before the book is even released we shouldn't form opinons already.
Posted By: superb

Re: THE GODFATHER: THE LOST YEARS coming in November, 2004 - 02/07/04 06:37 PM

Wait, will it be based on GodFatherII the movie? or sequel without any connection to the movies?
Posted By: vicenzox

Re: THE GODFATHER: THE LOST YEARS coming in November, 2004 - 02/12/04 02:03 AM

I agree with all you guys, but i still have to say that doesnt sounds bad at all...
Altough i rather stay with Mario's trilogy just beacause MARIO RULES!!!
Posted By: Mignon

Re: THE GODFATHER: THE LOST YEARS coming in November, 2004 - 02/12/04 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Lights:
I agree with Don Cardi that before the book is even released we shouldn't form opinons already.
Yea give the Author a break. It's gonna be hard to fill Mario's shoes. Let's give it a chance.
Posted By: plawrence

Re: THE GODFATHER: THE LOST YEARS coming in November, 2004 - 02/12/04 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ACK_NO. 1:
From Entertainment Weekly #747, January 23/30, 2004:

...."There's this agreement to make Las Vegas an open city, and yet, with no explanation at all, they set up shop out there. Now, how does that happen?" (November, 2004)
That's the idea of an "open city". That any family can go there and "set up shop".
Posted By: XDCX

Re: THE GODFATHER: THE LOST YEARS coming in November, 2004 - 03/02/04 04:51 AM

I will most definitely check it out when it is released, and if this guy has even a fraction of the flair Mario Puzo (R.I.P.) had in his writing, it should be an entertaining read.
Posted By: Krlea

Re: THE GODFATHER: THE LOST YEARS coming in November, 2004 - 04/08/04 07:00 PM

"it was an offer he could maybe refuse."

For some reason I thought this line was hysterical! Did anyone else? I'm always using the original "I'll make him an offer he can't refuse" to my friends jokingly. Now I'll have to try this new one. I can picture Young Vito saying it in that heavy accent and serious tone of his.
Posted By: Patches

Re: THE GODFATHER: THE LOST YEARS coming in November, 2004 - 04/09/04 05:58 AM

My mum told me to never judge a book by its cover (she was actually talking about Patches {RIP} when I first got her) but in this case I guess its right. I will get this book just to check it out. I probably won't get it at first if I'm still broke (I'll be a college freshman so you know how that is) so I'll probably buy one used off of Amazon.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET