Home

Favorite sports broadcaster

Posted By: SicilianDownSouth

Favorite sports broadcaster - 08/10/16 02:08 AM

Just wondering who your favorite sports broadcaster is or was. It can be from any sport, tv or radio. Needless to say living in Alabama I'm a huge college football fan, in particular an Alabama fan. To me there wasn't anyone who could call a better college football game like Keith Jackson. For me growing up his voice was college football on tv. So who was yours?
Posted By: getthesenets

Re: Favorite sports broadcaster - 08/10/16 03:29 AM

Bill Walton.
Posted By: Alfanosgirl

Re: Favorite sports broadcaster - 08/10/16 03:40 AM

Al Michaels
Posted By: OakAsFan

Re: Favorite sports broadcaster - 08/10/16 05:36 AM

Dating back to when I first started watching sports, early '80s.

1. Howard Cosell

2. Vin Scully

3. Harry Caray

4. John Madden

5. George Foreman

6. Greg Papa (bay area, Raiders radio)

I'm sure I could think of more if I wasn't tired. These are the sportscasters that I've genuinely looked forward to hearing.
Posted By: Footreads

Re: Favorite sports broadcaster - 08/10/16 12:36 PM

Shamus Malin for soccer. He was taken off the WC because network people thought he had to dumb down the commentary for new fans. Also how he phrased the things in the game. In 1994 he called the great Brazilian Romerio great half volley goal sheer eligance and he was right. I must have saw that goal 20 times. It's on YouTube.

Re: Favorite sports broadcaster - 08/10/16 12:43 PM

Howard Cosell if you notice you never saw both his hands. One shook due to Parkinson's.

Re: Favorite sports broadcaster - 08/10/16 12:45 PM

When I liked baseball my favorite guy was Phil Rosutto.

Re: Favorite sports broadcaster - 08/10/16 03:26 PM

Just read this

R.I.P. to espn's John Saunders
Posted By: Mr. Blonde

Re: Favorite sports broadcaster - 08/10/16 05:56 PM

Originally Posted By: getthesenets
Just read this

R.I.P. to espn's John Saunders

I heard this earlier this morning. Surprising and sad. RIP. Seemed like a nice guy; liked him moderating the SPorts Reporters.
Posted By: Mr. Blonde

Re: Favorite sports broadcaster - 08/10/16 05:57 PM

In other reporting news this morning, FOX is releasing Tony Siragusa from his sideline analyst position during NFL games. Too bad - I liked The Goose.

Re: Favorite sports broadcaster - 08/10/16 06:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Mr. Blonde
In other reporting news this morning, FOX is releasing Tony Siragusa from his sideline analyst position during NFL games. Too bad - I liked The Goose.

"Funny you should say that"

That's a movie line from The Goose... can you think of the film?
Posted By: Beanshooter

Re: Favorite sports broadcaster - 08/10/16 07:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Alfanosgirl
Al Michaels

ditto!

Re: Favorite sports broadcaster - 08/10/16 07:04 PM

Originally Posted By: getthesenets
Originally Posted By: Mr. Blonde

"Funny you should say that"

That's a movie line from The Goose... can you think of the film?

25th hour?

Re: Favorite sports broadcaster - 08/10/16 08:13 PM

I also like Pat Summerall, Brent Musburger, Jack Buck and his son. There's probably not a lot of NASCAR fans here but back in the day nobody could call a race like Ned Jarrett.
Posted By: goombah

Re: Favorite sports broadcaster - 08/10/16 08:37 PM

Joe Tait was the Cavs radio broadcaster from 1970 to 2010. He was awesome. He had a wry sense of humor and some memorable sayings. When they would not break away during a timeout, Tait would say "We've paid the rent and we'll keep it right here." Or when there was a whistle on a debatable call he would say "now what?"

Re: Favorite sports broadcaster - 08/10/16 09:03 PM

I also liked Marty Glickman. He used to broadcast the NY Giants, Jets and knicks,

Re: Favorite sports broadcaster - 08/10/16 11:06 PM

I forgot about Marty Glickman he was good. There was a bar near Madison square garden. When I worked in the garment district I used to see him in there.

Re: Favorite sports broadcaster - 08/10/16 11:06 PM

Loved it when Marv Albert called NBA games in the 90's.
Also hey Dixiemafia who was you favorite Bama radio announcers/crew? My are probably Eli, the Snake and Tom Roberts. I've only heard John Forney on replays. I was to young to remember. Also liked Doug Layton and Paul Kennedy.

Re: Favorite sports broadcaster - 08/11/16 12:44 AM

Originally Posted By: Footreads
I forgot about Marty Glickman he was good. There was a bar near Madison square garden. When I worked in the garment district I used to see him in there.

Foots, wasn't there some controversy with Glickman when he was not allowed to participate in the Berlin Olympics during Hitler's reign because he was Jewish?

Re: Favorite sports broadcaster - 08/11/16 01:41 AM

Originally Posted By: Beanshooter
25th hour?

Right. The Eastern European accent was good because I thought it was some guy who just looked like Goose.

Re: Favorite sports broadcaster - 08/11/16 03:43 AM

Originally Posted By: goombah
Joe Tait was the Cavs radio broadcaster from 1970 to 2010. He was awesome. He had a wry sense of humor and some memorable sayings. When they would not break away during a timeout, Tait would say "We've paid the rent and we'll keep it right here." Or when there was a whistle on a debatable call he would say "now what?"

Regarding the midwest region, Bob Uecker still does Brewers home games on radio.
Posted By: Binnie_Coll

Re: Favorite sports broadcaster - 08/11/16 06:05 AM

Originally Posted By: Beanshooter
Originally Posted By: Footreads

Foots, wasn't there some controversy with Glickman when he was not allowed to participate in the Berlin Olympics during Hitler's reign because he was Jewish?

marty was a great sprinter, tremendous athlete. loved his voice, great announcer. yes, foots probably knows the answer.

Re: Favorite sports broadcaster - 08/11/16 06:08 AM

marty Glickman. pat summerall, going back a while 50s L,A, rams, bob Kelly. joe buck is great of the younger group.

Re: Favorite sports broadcaster - 08/11/16 07:00 AM

Glickman use to do local high school American football on local tv. I think it was either channel 13 or channel 31 here back then.
Posted By: goombah

Re: Favorite sports broadcaster - 08/11/16 01:10 PM

Originally Posted By: OakAsFan
Originally Posted By: goombah

Regarding the midwest region, Bob Uecker still does Brewers home games on radio.

When I was growing up, Johnny Bench hosted a weekly tv show for kids called "Baseball Bunch." Uecker was either a co-host or a regular. He was great.

During the '95 playoffs, Uecker was the color man on NBC with Bob Costas. At Costas' request, Uecker delievered his classic Major League line "juuuuuuuust a bit outside."

Re: Favorite sports broadcaster - 08/13/16 01:20 AM

Do you like any of the females? I personally cannot get used to them and would rather have only men broadcasting.

Re: Favorite sports broadcaster - 08/19/16 01:16 AM

Do you like any of the females? I personally cannot get used to them and would rather have only men broadcasting.

well, she wasn't a broadcaster, but phyliss George used to be on with brett musburger. she brighted my day.

Re: Favorite sports broadcaster - 08/24/16 03:59 AM

So Binnie C were you listening to what she was saying or just drooling the whole time watching? lol

These women as sports commentators think that men are actually listening to them and respecting them as equals. They don't realize that they are just eye candy. lol

Re: Favorite sports broadcaster - 08/24/16 04:03 AM

My "Old Man Crush", grin Al Michaels will be hosting BOTH Sunday AND Thursday Night Football. Meow.

Re: Favorite sports broadcaster - 08/24/16 04:13 AM

My "Old Man Crush", grin Al Michaels will be hosting BOTH Sunday AND Thursday Night Football. Meow.

It's the "do you believe in miracles" line, isn't it?
Posted By: olivant

Re: Favorite sports broadcaster - 08/26/16 12:58 AM

Noone can beat Cosell; Madden is best in NFL football.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET