Home

NFL 2016

Posted By: olivant

NFL 2016 - 04/10/16 05:09 PM

With the 2016 NFL draft just 18 days away, it can't be long before training camps open, the pre-season begins, and then the glory of the regular season engulfs us.

Re: NFL 2016 - 04/10/16 05:09 PM

Go Steelers!
Posted By: getthesenets

Re: NFL 2016 - 04/10/16 07:32 PM

Oli,

located in Texas, but fan of Steelers?

Please explain.

Re: NFL 2016 - 04/10/16 09:50 PM

Originally Posted By: getthesenets
Oli,

located in Texas, but fan of Steelers?

Please explain.

I'm from Pittsburgh!

Re: NFL 2016 - 04/11/16 12:40 AM

Thanks Oli,

just sensitive because this area has LOTS of Cowboys fans though it's Giants territory.People from here rooting for a division rival....damn traitors.

pet peeve of mine...

Steelers are a first class organization. What areas do you think team needs to address in the draft?
Posted By: goombah

Re: NFL 2016 - 04/18/16 07:25 PM

Looking forward to the NFL Draft in 10 days. The LA-Tennessee trade certainly shook up the top of the draft. I presume that LA is trying not to tip its hand and I would hope that they had targeted a specific player. Otherwise, why make the deal and give up so much?

It's hard to believe we are a month away from mini-camp and only a few months away from the real training camp.

Re: NFL 2016 - 04/29/16 04:15 AM

Well, my Steeleres got themselves a cornerback. Once they solidify the backfield, their offense will make them unstoppable.

Re: NFL 2016 - 04/30/16 02:38 PM

Well, my Steelers have had a good draft so far. They bolstered the backfield and fortified the defensive line. The remaining picks should follow that pattern.
Posted By: MaryCas

Re: NFL 2016 - 05/03/16 11:43 PM

Does any team admit they had a crappy draft?

Re: NFL 2016 - 05/04/16 08:36 PM

Originally Posted By: MaryCas
Does any team admit they had a crappy draft?

Maybe not explicitly, but yeah the Browns do. Every 2 years when they can the coach, GM, waterboy, janitor,...
Posted By: Binnie_Coll

Re: NFL 2016 - 05/04/16 11:23 PM

seattle seahawks, didn't really help themselves, they will go into this year counting to much on Russell Wilson. besides I think this is carrolls last year.....

he was done when he blew the super bowl, now, he will get the axe.
Posted By: TheRedZone

Re: NFL 2016 - 05/28/16 12:07 AM

Stoked about seeing the healthy, reinforced grind-the-D Cowboys offense this year.. they're going old school smashmouth and I just love it !
Posted By: Alfanosgirl

Re: NFL 2016 - 08/03/16 11:35 PM

Can't wait to watch football smile You know what I noticed but do not understand-- On October 23rd, the Giants will be playing LA Rams in LONDON! Huh ??? Did I read that right or am I missing something? Anybody know?

Re: NFL 2016 - 08/04/16 01:35 AM

AG,

you read correctly..overseas it will be billed as NY versus L.A.(even though we both know the Giants have been playing in Jersey since forever). I don't like those London games but if the league rotates it and every team has to do it eventually , I guess it's fair. Hope we have a bye the following week.

Healthy Victor Cruz and finally a healthy Odell Beckham..WATCH out NFL!!!

Re: NFL 2016 - 08/04/16 01:43 AM

R.I.P. to Dennis Green

I bet the other NFL guys are teasing him up in the clouds..."Denny, you made it here.....because you are who we thought you were. St. Peter, if you're gonna give him wings...then do it, he is who we thought he was"

Re: NFL 2016 - 08/06/16 03:11 AM

AG,

you read correctly..overseas it will be billed as NY versus L.A.(even though we both know the Giants have been playing in Jersey since forever). I don't like those London games but if the league rotates it and every team has to do it eventually , I guess it's fair. Hope we have a bye the following week.

Healthy Victor Cruz and finally a healthy Odell Beckham..WATCH out NFL!!!

Hi Gets. Thank for clearing that up for me! It figures that the ONLY game I would have been able to see here in LA gets moved to LONDON lmao. grin

Go Giants!

Re: NFL 2016 - 08/06/16 07:08 PM

I was wrong about pete carroll, the hawks gave him a new contract, but, I still think its all downhill for them starting this season

I'm not the only guy that still blames the moron for blowing the super bowl.
Posted By: dinocrocetti

Re: NFL 2016 - 08/06/16 07:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Binnie_Coll
I was wrong about pete carroll, the hawks gave him a new contract, but, I still think its all downhill for them starting this season

I'm not the only guy that still blames the moron for blowing the super bowl.

Pete Carroll is anything but a moron. TERRIBLE CALL in the SB, but he built that team from scratch and through the draft. He's a proven winner. But he is approaching his mid 60's. NFC west will be either Seattle or Arizona.

Re: NFL 2016 - 08/06/16 11:15 PM

Binnie,
PC would be a great pro gambler because he has a pair of STEEL ones. He calls unorthodox plays a bit..in fact....to win the NFC title to play in that superbowl..he called a fake field goal and other crazy plays that worked out for him.They were supposed to lose to the Packers.

I recall a USC game that they were supposed to lose to Notre Dame. and this is the call

go to 1:45 mark

PC just doesn't give a F, no fear...usually pays off for him

Against ANY other coach, that superbowl play works.

Re: NFL 2016 - 08/07/16 01:25 AM

well guys, the dumbo picked the wrong time to screw up that's all. and tell me this, what will pete carroll be remembered for ?

dino- I agree Arizona looks great,

Re: NFL 2016 - 08/08/16 02:33 AM

Binnie,

you are correct. PC will remembered for the Bozo the Clown call at the end of the SuperBowl...if he doesn't win another one.

Re: NFL 2016 - 08/08/16 02:50 AM

I'm going to miss Tom Jackson when I watch Sunday NFL Countdown. He was class.
Posted By: OakAsFan

Re: NFL 2016 - 08/08/16 06:18 AM

Boomer, Tom Jackson, and NFL Primetime were game changers. Before that all we had were the quick highlights on the 11 o clock news.

Re: NFL 2016 - 08/08/16 06:20 AM

Hall of Fame game cancelled today. Everyone in Reno was pizzzed.
Posted By: Mignon

Re: NFL 2016 - 08/08/16 07:55 PM

I drove by yesterday and wondered what was going on.

Re: NFL 2016 - 08/09/16 01:54 AM

The paint on the field or something, the decoration. Some of it was slippery and they couldn't remove it. What a fail.

Re: NFL 2016 - 09/11/16 09:57 PM

Raiii-ders

Raiii-ders.

Re: NFL 2016 - 09/11/16 10:12 PM

Here we go Steelers, here we go.
Posted By: LaLouisiane

Re: NFL 2016 - 09/12/16 04:43 AM

New Year, Same Dolphins.

Re: NFL 2016 - 09/12/16 04:27 PM

Giants tried to GIVE a game away last night.

Dallas receiver made a bone headed play not trying to get out of bounds BUT......fool ass Giant db stood over his back trying to delay the game and could have gotten the flag.....10 yard penalty and clock stops...and Giants lose.

Dallas blew the game and fool ass Giants almost give the game away

Giants are usually on the wrong end of these kinds of games, so I'm glad they won but ...it's gonna be a long season.

Cruz is back....

Re: NFL 2016 - 09/12/16 05:48 PM

The league is young, now. Because of that, the athleticism is better than ever, but the football IQ is lacking. The younger players just don't understand those fine points of getting out of bounds when you have to. How about when players get game winning interceptions, or recover game winning fumbles, and try to run with it instead of just falling on the ball?

Re: NFL 2016 - 09/19/16 06:46 PM

Oak,

good point about the interceptions. SD Chargers had the NE Patriots BEATEN one year in the playoffs when they caught a late Brady interception. The DB tried to run for more yards and got ball stripped and NE won.

The Cowboys player BLEW the game though...at the huddle, everybody was told multiple times to GET out of bounds after a catch. He made no attempt to get out of bounds and fought for extra yards. He's a dumbass. Lucky for the Giants.

Re: NFL 2016 - 09/20/16 07:34 PM

Oak, I would add that some of the young players don't know some of the rules. I remember a player last year saying that he didn't know a regular season game could end in a tie. Or they didn't know running out of the endzone was a safety.

Look at all the times over the past 5-7 years where a young player breaks away and is about to score. Then they want to celebrate, but toss the ball just about the time they're crossing the goal line. Pure stupidity IMO.

You're dead on Getthesenets - the Cowboys had that game vs. the Giants. Even Dez was in the screen pointing to his teammate to get out of bounds. Complete lack of situational awareness.

Re: NFL 2016 - 09/26/16 02:26 AM

I can't believe my Steelers lost so badly. Madonne!

Re: NFL 2016 - 09/26/16 04:24 AM

saw dallas run over Chicago, still, dallas won't get very far, seahawks looked good creaming S.F. but, wont win division.

Re: NFL 2016 - 09/26/16 04:30 AM

How are the Patriots 3-0 with Brady suspended? The league should be embarrassed. And, it's not like Brady's backups are that good. I have to believe there was a time where if a quarterback of Brady's caliber was suspended, their opponents would just refuse to lose to them, on general principle. Make sure that 4 game suspension hurts. Patriots come out of this unscathed, even if they lose their next game. Belichick probably bottom lined it at 2-2. 3-1 is a gift. Even Belichick has to be thinking the league is soft. Shaking his head. "Brady's out and we're still just walking all over everyone". The NFL is gutless today.
Posted By: thedudeabides87

Re: NFL 2016 - 09/26/16 10:17 AM

My dad calls the NFL the National P**sies League.

Sometimes you wonder what goes on in Eli's head before he throws

I wish the Pittsburgh showed up yesterday that was an embarrassment.

Fitzpatrick threw what 5 picks 2 or 3 in the end zone 1 pick 6 ugly

Re: NFL 2016 - 10/01/16 01:02 AM

This is class:

"Antonio Brown has decided to stop breaking the rules when it comes to wearing different-colored shoes. That doesn't mean he won't keep modifying his gameday footwear, however.

Brown said he will have an image of Arnold Palmer on his cleats during the Steelers' Sunday night game against the Kansas City Chiefs at Heinz Field.

“A guy like Arnold, with his legacy and what he meant to the world and to Latrobe and Pennsylvania, his legacy will live on,” Brown said. “He's an inspiring guy, and I'm glad I got the moments I got to share with him. The time I spent with him was an honor.”

Re: NFL 2016 - 10/10/16 09:53 PM

Giants F'ing up.

Coughlin is somewhere laughing.

Re: NFL 2016 - 10/17/16 09:04 PM

I'm sick of Odell Beckham. He's Jeremy Shockey 2.0

Gets silly penalties and people cheer anyway.

Re: NFL 2016 - 10/17/16 09:08 PM

and fool ass Giants almost give the game away

Giants are usually on the wrong end of these kinds of games, so I'm glad they won but ...it's gonna be a long season.

deja vu

ravens fail on 4th down......but fool ass Giant gets called for roughing the passer....automatic first down and clocks stops

Giants lucky to win

Re: NFL 2016 - 10/17/16 11:00 PM

and fool ass Giants almost give the game away

deja vu

ravens fail on 4th down......but fool ass Giant gets called for roughing the passer....automatic first down and clocks stops

Giants lucky to win

lol Ain't that the truth. I wanted to strangle that #58 What the hell was he thinking!!!

Re: NFL 2016 - 10/17/16 11:57 PM

For the life of me I can't figure out what the heck happened to my Steelers against the Dolphins. Madonne! The Dolphins. The Steelers continually play down to their competition and have done so for the past decade. Without Ben, they will get murdered by the Patriots.

Re: NFL 2016 - 10/22/16 11:46 PM

Me neither Oli. What the hell happened!

Tomorrow I have to get up at 6:30 to watch the Giants game! They're cutting into my beauty sleep so they better beat the LA Lambs. grin
Posted By: dixiemafia

Re: NFL 2016 - 10/23/16 07:06 PM

Y'all won't guess who I chatted with yesterday in Tuscaloosa before the Bama game. I was standing around with my Niece so she could see the team walk into the stadium when Charlie Weiss comes up next to me (ex-Patriots offensive coordinator) and we chatted about Federal Hill. I told him it was one of my favorite places and he was surprised a country boy from Alabama knew about the Hill. He told me about how him and his wife would go to Providence instead of Boston to eat when he was up there. Crazy enough he cut a lot of weight from the last time I seen him as the OC at Florida or maybe when he coached at Kansas after that and Notre Dame. He was a pretty cool dude lol

Re: NFL 2016 - 10/23/16 11:45 PM

Well, my Steelers didn't do as bad as I thought they would against the Patriots. But, why in the world did they not just run and run L'eveon Bell? In fact, Jones threw 47 times. That doesn't make any sense. God, I hope Ben heals up soon!

Re: NFL 2016 - 10/23/16 11:51 PM

AG,

the game was ugly..Giants lucky to win, but I'll take it

Dixie,

I liked Weiss ever since he threw Pete Caroll under the bus when they were both college head coaches. SC had beaten Notre Dame (again) and Weiss knowing that he was gonna get fired anyway, let this one fly..

Weis was quoted as responding:

"Let me ask you this question: You guys know about things that go on in different places. Was I living with a grad student in Malibu, or was I living with my wife in my house? You could bet that if I were living with a grad student here in South Bend, it would be national news. He's doing it in Malibu and it's not national news. What's the difference? I don't understand. Why is it [OK] for one guy to do things like that, but for me, I'm scrutinized when I swear. I'm sorry for swearing; absolve my sins."

All of the guys in Belichick's coaching tree have failed once they left the Patriots.

Re: NFL 2016 - 10/24/16 02:46 PM

Yea he was pretty laid back and didn't act snotty like some have in the past. It wasn't the first time he was spotted in Tuscaloosa either. Not sure why he's been around so much though.

Re: NFL 2016 - 10/26/16 05:44 PM

The NFL’s TV ratings dive continues to show no signs of letting up. Regional ratings for Fox’s NFC package have shown the smallest drop at just 1 percent through seven weeks compared to 2015, while regional ratings for CBS’ AFC package are down 9 percent, FOX Sports executive vice president of research Michael Mulvihill tweeted Tuesday. Although the ratings for “Monday Night Football” have fallen off a cliff compared to last season, ratings for “Thursday Night Football” on CBS and the NFL Network and for NBC’s “Sunday Night Football” aren’t much better. ...

Re: NFL 2016 - 10/27/16 11:45 PM

oli..... games are too long. too many penalties, too many field goals, too many games on t.v. its just getting old, nfl fans are turning away, go to a game and see what it cost you, see how much you have to pay to park.

Re: NFL 2016 - 10/29/16 01:00 AM

oli..... games are too long. too many penalties, too many field goals, too many games on t.v. its just getting old, nfl fans are turning away, go to a game and see what it cost you, see how much you have to pay to park.

I agree, and we are saturated with games. One other thing is this: Remember back in the 70s when Chuck Knoll stated that there is a criminal element in football. Well, there is, and since then, the element has only gotten larger.

Re: NFL 2016 - 10/29/16 06:49 PM

Oli,

Sports fans are hypocrites when it comes to your point about criminal element in sports and football.
I'm on a Giants forum and I've heard that exact sentiment expressed numerous times. A few weeks ago, our kicker,Josh Brown, was released after it became public that he repeatedly abused his wife.
If abusing your wife multiple times isn't thug behavior, I don't know what is.

Nary a word about it on that Giants forum and he was a marginal player,really. If he were a star player he'd still be playing. The next time somebody on that forum writes about criminal element in the league, it will hard to take them seriously.

Re: NFL 2016 - 10/29/16 08:14 PM

College is just as bad. When I went to Tuscaloosa last week it cost me $20 to park at the DCH Hospital, and that is WAYYYYY down Paul W. Bryant Drive from the stadium!! Just a few years ago it was $10 and you could drive down to Coleman Coliseum or to Sewell-Thomas Stadium and park for less than $20. Now you're pretty much walking a mile or so in and you still have to get there 3-4 hours before the game or you won't be able to park. Then don't get me started on the food, Dreamland BBQ is the main food vendor and you'll pay $10 for some BBQ nachos and $6 for a drink. Then that doesn't count the $75 face value tickets to the "premium games" which are the top SEC games. And that's if you order season tickets and have to pay about $150 and up for a seat premium (per seat) plus the price of tickets if you have season tickets.

Re: NFL 2016 - 10/29/16 11:45 PM

yes Dixie, it's not as fun as it used to be, greed has taken over in the pros, and college.

Re: NFL 2016 - 11/02/16 01:42 AM

Posted By: Giacomo_Vacari

Re: NFL 2016 - 11/02/16 04:33 AM

Even though I am a SJSU fan, Carr, a former Fresno State player, is a contender for MVP this year. Go Carr!

Re: NFL 2016 - 11/02/16 06:38 AM

Can't believe how good of a season we're having.

"There's nothing real in the world anymore! The Raiders have won the football game!" - Bill King

Re: NFL 2016 - 11/12/16 04:52 PM

Real class:

PITTSBURGH -- Antonio Brown is hitting the right tone with his customized footwear over Veterans Day weekend.

Brown will honor former NFL player Pat Tillman with red, white and blue cleats, which he'll wear during pregame workouts before the Pittsburgh Steelers' matchup with the Dallas Cowboys at Heinz Field on Sunday.

Photos of the cleats -- provided by Brown's artist, Corey Pane -- show images of Tillman as an Arizona Cardinals safety and a United States Army Ranger. "TILL" and "MAN" are displayed on the heels, along with the No. 40.

Re: NFL 2016 - 11/22/16 02:43 AM

I can't believe the dallas cowboys, and as usual I'm wrong about the seahawks, but dallas...... what an improvement in one year, I was never a tony romo fan, never thought he was as good as he was made out to be, and I hate jerry jones, somebody is doing something right in dallas and I appauld them, but, I don't think jerry jones has anything to do with it. he's to stupid.

Re: NFL 2016 - 11/23/16 04:58 AM

Best record in AFC!

Re: NFL 2016 - 11/23/16 07:12 AM

good going oak, it's about time!!

Re: NFL 2016 - 11/23/16 07:26 AM

Yeah, I knew Derek Carr was for real from the get go, but we're doing way better than I thought we'd do this year. A lot of season left to go. I think we'll win our division. We win Sunday, it's our first winning season since 2002.

Re: NFL 2016 - 11/24/16 11:34 PM

Hope the Cowgirls lose. I'm excited for tonight's Steelers game. I hope I get to watch it. Cooking a feast and watching football really doesn't mix too well tongue

Happy game watching today!

Re: NFL 2016 - 12/09/16 01:10 AM

Tonight's game should be good. KC against Oakland. I'll go with Oakland. It's amazing how good a team they are now. At least Cali has one good team out of 4 lol

Re: NFL 2016 - 12/09/16 07:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Alfanosgirl
Tonight's game should be good. KC against Oakland. I'll go with Oakland. It's amazing how good a team they are now. At least Cali has one good team out of 4 lol

Uh ... if that's good, what's bad?

Re: NFL 2016 - 12/10/16 12:45 AM

Oakland's QB could not throw, should have got him out of there real early, they can't win with him avg 3,0 a completion,

Re: NFL 2016 - 12/10/16 06:38 AM

The cold definitely affected Carr's finger. I've never seen him that bad. The worst part is our defense shuts down the Chiefs in the second half, and our offense still can't capitalize. Glad we have the 10 day break before our next game. Carr gets healthy we have a good chance of winning the rest of our games.

Re: NFL 2016 - 12/12/16 07:43 PM

12/12/16

Jeff Fisher fired by the Rams
Posted By: F_white

Re: NFL 2016 - 12/12/16 10:00 PM

Should have been fired two seasons ago

Re: NFL 2016 - 12/26/16 06:24 PM

Did ya'll see Antonio Brown's Immaculate Extension in the 4th quarter of the Steelers game with the Ravens? He was stopped on the one yard line, but extended the football over the goal line for the winning touchdown. So cool.

Re: NFL 2016 - 12/27/16 10:36 PM

Oli,

That's a great line , the "immaculate extension".

Is there a personal beef between Terry Bradshaw and Coach Tomlin?

Oh...Rex Ryan fired today 12/27/16

Re: NFL 2016 - 12/28/16 03:28 AM

Oli,

No. Bradshaw just mouthing off.

Re: NFL 2016 - 12/28/16 04:52 AM

seahawks, won't make it- Wilson getting sacked too much, wish carroll would get the ax, 'll never forgive the moron for that superbowl give away. and how bout them cowboys, get romo out of there and they start winning.

Re: NFL 2016 - 12/28/16 03:32 PM

seahawks, won't make it- Wilson getting sacked too much, wish carroll would get the ax, 'll never forgive the moron for that superbowl give away. and how bout them cowboys, get romo out of there and they start winning.

love Pete Carroll, but if you're a Seahawks fan, i could understand your pain. maybe the dumbest call in the history of major sports championships.

Re: NFL 2016 - 12/28/16 03:35 PM

seattle seahawks, didn't really help themselves, they will go into this year counting to much on Russell Wilson. besides I think this is carrolls last year.....

he was done when he blew the super bowl, now, he will get the axe.

no way he gets the axe, he and schneider are very close and besides, who is seattle going to get who even comes close to drafting and building a winner with late round picks? there is nobody even close.

Re: NFL 2016 - 12/28/16 03:40 PM

Oli,

im not a rex ryan fan, but he's a great defensive coordinator. but from a head coach perspective, one needs at least 4 years at the helm with his own players and draft picks. these owners, especially the pegula's who are new to the nfl have a skewed vision on how to build a winner. shit, even belichick failed in a few places without the proper resources. when he took over for parcells, parcells had many of the pieces in place and all of them fit belichick's philosophy. and then they got lucky with TB. it makes me sick that TB12 is playing this well at 39/40. he's got to be on something

Re: NFL 2016 - 01/02/17 12:38 AM

Originally Posted By: dinocrocetti

love Pete Carroll, but if you're a Seahawks fan, i could understand your pain. maybe the dumbest call in the history of major sports championships.

yes, dino, glad you understand, that's what he will be remembered for, and their is no-excuse for that call to hawk fans. thank you for understanding.

Re: NFL 2016 - 01/02/17 01:31 AM

No, not the dumbest call. That accolade goes to the 1978 Giants. Leading the Eagles 17-12 with under 30 seconds left on 3rd down, the Giants ran a hand-off, fumbled it, the Eagles recovered and ran in for a touchdown and won the game.

Re: NFL 2016 - 01/09/17 05:25 AM

Go Steelers!

Re: NFL 2016 - 01/15/17 12:49 AM

BEST part of the Seattle Atlanta game is # 105 Dino Paganelli grin Meow

Bye bye Seattle

Re: NFL 2016 - 01/16/17 02:27 PM

Packers/Cowboys was one of the best playoff games I've ever watched. They showed Tony Dorsett briefly and that guy NEVER ages.

Conference Championship weekend is gonna be great.

Re: NFL 2016 - 01/17/17 06:17 PM

Packers/Cowboys was one of the best playoff games I've ever watched. They showed Tony Dorsett briefly and that guy NEVER ages.

Wasn't TD sitting next to Emmitt? If Zeke Elliott can stay out of trouble, Dallas could have 3 of the greatest NFL RBs in history.

I have never seen a QB throw on the run with such precision as Aaron Rodgers. His throws are a thing of beauty.

During the game, I was texting a friend who is a huge Cowboys fan. When Dallas tied up the game with :35 left, I wrote to him that two timeouts and that much time was not going to be good for the Cowboys.

I know ATL has had the better season, but until they actually advance I will be pessimistic about them. Too many times in the Matt Ryan era they have folded in the postseason. They remind me a lot of the 1998 Vikings.

I think that a GB - NE Super Bowl would be epic. Two franchises seeking their five Super Bowl win and pitting two of the game's premier QBs against one another.

Re: NFL 2016 - 01/17/17 07:43 PM

Goombah,

Glad to see you back on the forum. Interesting comparison to the 98 Vikings(who lost to the Dirty Bird Falcons). I liked Matty Ice, and I think this is the year the team puts it all together and goes back to the SB. But until they do, they deserve doubters.
I also think that Matt should get MVP if Aaron doesn't get it.

Every 2 years or so, Rodgers does to the Giants what he did to the Cowboys on Sunday.....get ball back with less than minute and down...and drive team down for winning score...I saw it coming...

They showed a brief clip of TD and Emitt together and Smith looks older than TD, by a lot.....he might want to start using the "Just for Men" hair coloring product that he endorses

Re: NFL 2016 - 01/18/17 01:22 AM

Yeah Emmitt looks more like Earl Campbell. He should shave and it would take off 15 years.

Ok so let's say you're right about Atlanta. Do you see them beating either AFC team? I guess I could see Atlanta beating Pitt but not NE. These are the best conf championship games in awhile.

Re: NFL 2016 - 01/18/17 05:42 PM

Originally Posted By: goombah

I have never seen a QB throw on the run with such precision as Aaron Rodgers. His throws are a thing of beauty.

I beg to differ.

Fran Tarketon during his Vikings days may have originated the art of scrambling/passing. During the 70s, Roger Staubach was known as Rodger the Dodger who was excellent at throwing on the run. However, since his 2004 rookie year, Big Ben is the premier NFL quarterback for extending the play. No conversation about him is complete without referencing his ability to escape defensive lineman, extend the play and throw successfully downfield. Just about every conversation about Ben on ESPN or NFL Network is about his extending the play and it's been such for over a decade. Of course, the epitome of it was his throw to Santonio Holmes that won the game in SB43.

Re: NFL 2016 - 01/19/17 05:57 PM

Oli,

My only reference to Tarkenton was that I remember him as one of the hosts of "That's Incredible" smile

No, I've seen his footage.....they coined the terms "scrambling" and mobile qb for him. He was decades ahead of his time. I've seen less of Capt. America(RS) and his scrambles but I've read the same thing about him.

Aaron Rodgers is the final evolution of the position though in much the same way that Lebron is in basketball.NOTHING that AR can't do well as a QB.

Big Ben is a clutch performer and amazingly mobile/agile for his size. His toughness overshadows his actual throwing abilities though. He already has a spot in the HOF and he might get as many rings as Bradshaw before it's over.

Re: NFL 2016 - 01/19/17 06:46 PM

For we football fans, this pic is so cool:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C2ipGN6WQAAlCPD.jpg

Re: NFL 2016 - 01/19/17 07:50 PM

Oli,

that is a cool picture.....I expect some fans to put that image on hoodies and wear them to the game.

Re: NFL 2016 - 01/19/17 11:21 PM

Wasn't TD sitting next to Emmitt? If Zeke Elliott can stay out of trouble, Dallas could have 3 of the greatest NFL RBs in history.

During the game, I was texting a friend who is a huge Cowboys fan. When Dallas tied up the game with :35 left, I wrote to him that two timeouts and that much time was not going to be good for the Cowboys.

I know ATL has had the better season, but until they actually advance I will be pessimistic about them. Too many times in the Matt Ryan era they have folded in the postseason. They remind me a lot of the 1998 Vikings.

I think that a GB - NE Super Bowl would be epic. Two franchises seeking their five Super Bowl win and pitting two of the game's premier QBs against one another.

boy ,are you right about aaron Rodgers, greatest QB ever throwing on the run, and I have seen many. although big ben evades tackles more than any QB in the NFL, i'll still take Rodgers.

Re: NFL 2016 - 01/19/17 11:34 PM

Originally Posted By: olivant

I beg to differ.

Fran Tarketon during his Vikings days may have originated the art of scrambling/passing. During the 70s, Roger Staubach was known as Rodger the Dodger who was excellent at throwing on the run. However, since his 2004 rookie year, Big Ben is the premier NFL quarterback for extending the play. No conversation about him is complete without referencing his ability to escape defensive lineman, extend the play and throw successfully downfield. Just about every conversation about Ben on ESPN or NFL Network is about his extending the play and it's been such for over a decade. Of course, the epitome of it was his throw to Santonio Holmes that won the game in SB43.

My comment was not about who is more elusive. Sure the Steelers QB gets away and is hard to bring down because of his size. But he isn't even in the conversation with Rodgers when it comes to pinpoint accuracy while throwing on a dead run. If Rodgers had only broken loose to get the final throw off, some QBs can do that. But AR put the ball in the perfect spot to set up the GW field goal. Nobody else in the league does that.

Re: NFL 2016 - 01/20/17 12:41 AM

yes, you are absolutely right. if the game is tied, and green bay has the ball with 55 secs left, look out, cause it ain't over.

Re: NFL 2016 - 01/20/17 02:12 AM

I beg to differ.

But AR put the ball in the perfect spot to set up the GW field goal. Nobody else in the league does that.

From my post above:

"Of course, the epitome of it was his throw to Santonio Holmes that won the game in SB43." In addition, Ben threw it while on the run with just 34 seconds left over the heads of three Cardinals defenders who were arrayed closely around Holmes, all of them gathered in the corner of the end zone with no where else to go. Not too pinpoint, huh?

Re: NFL 2016 - 01/21/17 05:28 PM

My picks: Steelers and Falcons.

Re: NFL 2016 - 01/22/17 12:14 AM

Got the Steelers and the Packers

Re: NFL 2016 - 01/23/17 03:35 AM

I am so disappointed in my Steelers. Even without Bell, they should have done much better.

Re: NFL 2016 - 01/23/17 07:05 PM

Julio went off!

Re: NFL 2016 - 01/23/17 08:28 PM

I thought these would be much better games than what we saw. That's 8 duds out of 10 playoff games so far for the NFL. If they copy the '16 NBA Finals (every win was by double digits other than Game 7), then the Super Bowl will be great.

Re: NFL 2016 - 01/24/17 02:54 AM

Ryan vs Brady in the Superbowl

Irish eyes are smiling. St. Patrick's Day is two weeks early this year.

smile

Re: NFL 2016 - 01/25/17 09:28 PM

Barring injuries, I select the Falcons over the Patriots.

Re: NFL 2016 - 01/26/17 06:42 AM

very disappointing NFC, AFC championship games, hope the super bowl is better, like falcons over patriots

Re: NFL 2016 - 02/03/17 07:51 PM

Superbowl babies ... so cool!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...ith-a-vengeance

(May take a while to load).

Re: NFL 2016 - 02/05/17 01:43 AM

if you are a N.Y. Giants fan, check out this podcast about the 86 Giants

http://podbay.fm/show/1197579852/e/1485417900?autostart=1

Re: NFL 2016 - 02/05/17 01:45 AM

Superbowl babies ... so cool!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...ith-a-vengeance

(May take a while to load).

Great post,Oli.

Re: NFL 2016 - 02/06/17 04:04 AM

game was F*ck*n B*llsh*t

Re: NFL 2016 - 02/06/17 04:31 AM

Well, the Falcons dropped deep and, as I would have expected, Brady threw underneath. Madonne!
Posted By: Footreads

Re: NFL 2016 - 02/06/17 04:43 AM

I stopped watch it them I thought the game was over. Get this my wife never liked football and told me when the score was 28-20. Then I started to watch it again. Then New England scored again and got the 2 point coversion to draw level after regulation.

This was the first extra time super bowl. New England gets the toss heads and drives for another touch down and wins. That game made history. Falcons choked to death.

Re: NFL 2016 - 02/06/17 01:36 PM

Holy shit what a game! The Bama boys did well, Hightower and Julio Jones both made some big time plays last night. I knew once NE won the toss in OT that it was over. The Falcons D was so tired I knew there was no way they stop Brady. Reminded me of Bama/Clemson this year in how our offense cost the defense in the same way.

Julio and Edelman both make two of the best catches of all time in the Super Bowl in back to back drives I think it was, was truly unbelievable! There is no doubt Brady is one of the best ever.

NE had 85 plays at the end of regulation and ATL had 46. 46!!! No way you win any game like that.

Re: NFL 2016 - 02/06/17 04:52 PM

Why oh why do teams insist on throwing on 3 and 1?

Re: NFL 2016 - 02/06/17 05:05 PM

I wasn't rooting for either team, though it sickened me to see the bad play calling, RB standing right there and NOT picking up the blitz, and just the unraveling of the Falcons.

Giants lost a playoff game to the 49ers in similar fashion, years ago and I was in a funk for two months.

Coughlin and Eli are the only guys who seem to not cower and turn b*tch again The Patriots.

Re: NFL 2016 - 02/06/17 07:16 PM

I wasn't rooting for either team, though it sickened me to see the bad play calling, RB standing right there and NOT picking up the blitz, and just the unraveling of the Falcons.

Giants lost a playoff game to the 49ers in similar fashion, years ago and I was in a funk for two months.

Coughlin and Eli are the only guys who seem to not cower and turn b*tch again The Patriots.

I was glad to see OT in a Super Bowl, but it was apparent from the 4th quarter on that NE had all the momentum.

For the first half, Atlanta was constantly pressuring Brady. The Giants gave the rest of the league the blueprint - harass Brady and hit him hard. Atlanta moved away from that in the 2nd half, partly because they were tired from being on the field twice as long as NE's defense. The other part was Atlanta stopped being as aggressive on defense. NE was bolstered when its receivers stopped dropping passes and finally found rhythm in the 4th quarter.

The other key, in my opinion, was Kyle Shanahan abandoning the running game. All ATL had to do was run some clock and get a few first downs. Their running backs were bursting through holes for big gains until midway through the 3rd quarter. Ryan was not bleeding the playclock either.

I actually thought NE was foolish for not playing with a sense of urgency down 28-3. They didn't play hurry up and ran some very conservative plays. But they hung around and that's all Brady needed.

I thought it was nearly impossible for 1) NE to get that 2nd two point conversion and 2) for Atlanta not to score 3 to bring the lead to 10 with 3:00 remaining. I still can't believe the plays run by Atlanta during their last drive. As bad as Pete Carroll's decision to throw from the 1 yard line in SB49.

Re: NFL 2016 - 02/06/17 08:17 PM

Goombah,

agree. terrible play calling. Patriots almost won the game at the end of regulation with the fake kneeldown. Just superior coaching in NE.

atL Coaches blew the game. This modern pass friendly NFL has gotten people to forget fundamentals of the game. Defense...ball control..clock control...running the ball.

Re: NFL 2016 - 02/06/17 08:19 PM

Why oh why do teams insist on throwing on 3 and 1?

Modern nfl..Oli....the rules favor passing, so teams throw common sense out of the window.
Not even play action passes,Oli...Designed pass plays on 3rd and 1....disgusting.

Re: NFL 2016 - 02/06/17 09:06 PM

Goombah,

agree. terrible play calling. Patriots almost won the game at the end of regulation with the fake kneeldown. Just superior coaching in NE.

atL Coaches blew the game. This modern pass friendly NFL has gotten people to forget fundamentals of the game. Defense...ball control..clock control...running the ball.

I would add these terrible decisions by ATL coaching staff: blowing 2 timeouts, one in early 3rd quarter for a meaningless play. Then challenging the Edelman catch was insane. Even though it seemed unlikely of a catch, the 1st replay CLEARLY showed it never hit the ground. I'm not sure if that was the assistant buzzing down or Quinn's decision, but it was a complete waste of a challenge and that TO would have helped in the last ATL possession.

Re: NFL 2016 - 02/07/17 02:27 AM

I just watched the SB haltime show replay; I love Gaga's Bad Romance.

If you're not a Steelers fan, you're probably not aware of the acapela Accords out of Pittsburgh who did their version of Bad Romance as a Steelers fight song back in 2010-11, the last time the Steelers were in the SB. It's pretty cool. Give it a listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ugfqEsw1gs

Re: NFL 2016 - 04/14/17 03:03 AM

say it ain't so,eli

Posted By: Mr. Blonde

Re: NFL 2016 - 04/19/17 02:31 PM

And Aaron Hernandez has committed suicide.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/19191...ing-prison-cell

Out of respect for his 4 year old daughter and other family, I'll refrain from further comment for now.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET