Home

Chris Mullin Comes Home

Posted By: pizzaboy

Chris Mullin Comes Home - 04/01/15 05:56 PM

Watching Louie Carnesecca introduce Chris Mullin as the new coach of Saint John's literally made me cry today. I can't believe it's been thirty years since he graduated.
Posted By: getthesenets

Re: Chris Mullin Comes Home - 04/01/15 08:07 PM

good story

they say one thing that hurts their recruiting is that they have dorms now

I read Jayson Williams' book and he very candidly said that unlike schools that were using shady incentives....SJU had a perfectly legal hook back when they had no dormitories.

Athletes got a certain amount of money for housing...a NICE amount..based on new york city rental rates....and they'd all just live together in a house owned by an alum and pay him peanuts...and pocket the rest.

this area still produces top D1 talent but hard to keep them in the area

Glad to see that Louie is still around..

the old Big East was legendary...
Posted By: Footreads

Re: Chris Mullin Comes Home - 04/01/15 08:16 PM

I knew him when he was in grammer school. He went to St. Thomas on flatlands ave. My first two kids went to that grammer school. Then he went Zaverian HS on shore road. My oldest son played basketball and soccer there.
Posted By: dixiemafia

Re: Chris Mullin Comes Home - 04/03/15 02:17 AM

I heard Mullin could tear it up on the blacktops of NYC which I imagine was a rare sight for a white boy back in those days.

I think Mullin will do well there.

We thought we had Marshall from Wichita State locked up then something happened with the timeline and it gave time for Wichita to offer within a million and that kept him in Kansas.

Now we are looking at Richard Pitino. Blah
Posted By: Footreads

Re: Chris Mullin Comes Home - 04/03/15 03:18 AM

Mullin has at least one older brother who could play.

They were friends with the guy who took care of the gym at st.thomas. He will let them in and they would play all night.

I remember him as an outside shooter.
Posted By: MaryCas

Re: Chris Mullin Comes Home - 04/03/15 05:34 PM

The St John's Redmen....ooops 'scuse me. Storm. What year did they change? Don't get me wrong. I think the Redskins should be the Redskin Potatoes. Historically derogatory mascots should be banned.

I never heard why Lavin was fired or quit? St John's basketball should be a contender, like Gets says...NYC should be a national basketball power. Lots of talented kids in the NY/NJ area.
Posted By: dixiemafia

Re: Chris Mullin Comes Home - 04/04/15 06:02 PM

What kills St. John's and other schools up there is the fact that there are so many good schools nearby and/or within a few hours away. That way Momma can still go see them in person or on t.v. the whole year.

What makes it different here is there is only 2 major schools in Alabama and generally the kid is a fan of one or the other.
Posted By: MaryCas

Re: Chris Mullin Comes Home - 04/14/15 06:10 PM

Dix, The Tri-State area as it is called; NY, NJ, Ct. Is really focused in on the professional sports. Besides Rutgers, there is no college football and Rutgers is not a marquis attraction. Baseball is all Yankees and Mets. Basketball is all Knicks (who suck) and Brooklyn; college...St.Johns/ and a little Rutgers. there are the lower tier; Manhattan, Iona, Fairfield, Fordham..once in awile LIU or Stony Brook. U Conn is more associated with Boston. Hockey is the Rangers, Islanders and Devils. College sports take a very far back seat in the NYC sports area, but St. John's can pull some attention if they start winning and MUllins could be the man to do it.
Posted By: njcapo35

Re: Chris Mullin Comes Home - 04/14/15 07:15 PM

St.John's is also getting Kentucky coach Barry "Slice" Rohrssen.

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/spo...johns/25734607/
Posted By: Shamm11375

Re: Chris Mullin Comes Home - 04/30/15 12:59 PM

I go to about 5 games a year...

I'm thrilled they parted ways with Lavin.. truth be told.. he's a horrible coach. Good guy, big personality , but his recruiting classes were overrated, and he's a horrible in game coach. Mike Dunlap ran the team when he was here.

Mullin brought in two TOP recruiters with NY ties. Hopefully he can get us back to where we are always at the top of this revised BIg East. Similar to Villanova. It will take a few years, but it's possible.
Posted By: Beanshooter

Re: Chris Mullin Comes Home - 04/30/15 01:16 PM

Originally Posted By: njcapo35
St.John's is also getting Kentucky coach Barry "Slice" Rohrssen.

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/spo...johns/25734607/

Nj, Barry used to be a bouncer at the Limelight with Chazz Plamenteri in the early '80's. A real nice guy.
Posted By: Revis_Knicks

Re: Chris Mullin Comes Home - 06/02/15 08:58 PM

We'll see if he can recruit in the Bermuda Triangle though. I'm a Net fan not a knick fan so I've never had any connection to Mullin but it's always great to see people come back to their hometown area. College sports has never been big in the New York City area but who knows maybe that could change. The consensus favorite team in New York is Rutgers even though they're not exactly competing for the chip every year in baseball, football or basketball.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET