Home

Any Boxing Fans on here?

Posted By: NickyScarfo

Any Boxing Fans on here? - 07/20/11 11:26 AM

Realize this is a real stretch in this day and age but are there any boxing fans on here?
Posted By: Palomita20

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 07/24/11 04:38 PM

Yep. Greene just got ko'd by Tarver. There is still Katsidis.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 07/24/11 05:06 PM

Greetings mate! Good to see a fan on here! yep Tarver boxed pretty well I reckon. I'm actually from UK so was happy about the Amir Khan fight today against Judah. R u an Aussie mate?
Posted By: Immobiliare

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 07/24/11 06:08 PM

Amir Khan is gonna be a big star! His hands are as fast as lightning!

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 07/25/11 04:43 AM

Yes I believe so too, I think fighting Floyd Mayweather may be a little too soon tho!

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 07/28/11 04:52 AM

Nope, not an Aussie. I'm technically an americant. I have enjoyed some previous Aussie stalwars, Mundine with his rock hard chin and Kostya Tsyzu, though he is more Russian than Aussie I think. Green lost to Mundine, if I'm not mistaken, so Tarver's success was based on how limited Green was, skillwise.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 07/29/11 12:52 PM

You have some good knowledge my friend! For us boxing fans what we really need to happen is the Pacquiao Mayweather fight, just so we can know who is number 1. No one is touching the Klitsckho brothers in the heavyweight division for a while. Personally I am really looking forward to Victor Ortiz v Mayweather-hopefully a great fight!
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 07/29/11 06:11 PM

There's a boxing thread on this site, but it's ok that this one was started.
I don't believe we'll ever see a PacMan/Floyd fight. Too much at stake for both.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 07/29/11 10:28 PM

Thank you on the knowledge front. To me there is no better sport than boxing. It's a dirty, brutal sport that chews guys up and spits them up but it's a compelling sport to follow. A couple mma guys are worth watching too, not the sport though.

I'd like to see Khan, Ortiz, Mayweather round robin. Martinez is a bad man at 154-160. Pac is the man but he fights guys coming off losses or Ko's in their significant fights. Clottey was the toughest guy he fought recently and now he's fighting Marques, who he "beat" twice.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 07/30/11 01:22 AM

Any Floyd would never want to risk his pretty little perfect record lol

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 07/30/11 04:55 AM

PAC is a great offensive fighter and was the beneficiary of HBO hyping him but to be a world-class pfp#1 you need defensive skills, which Floyd has.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 07/30/11 08:39 AM

yup i agree. In my opinion floyd would win the fight on points with his defensive skills, I saw enough from the mosley fight that floyd can beat pac. However its disappointing that floyd ducks some fights. Thats why my favourite fighter is Cotto as he is a warrior who would fight anyone! But your right about Martinez he is a beast! That KO of Williams was scary!!!

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 08/09/11 10:52 AM

Boxing Fans and casual sports fans... Floyd Mayweather Victor Ortiz 24/7 starts on HBO on the 27th August. If your outside the states it will probs be on youtube the day after
Posted By: kjk

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 08/09/11 04:07 PM

Been around fighters in my day; hanging at Gleason's Gym in Manhattan across from MSG near Eighth Ave, writing stories and covered a few big fights at the time though it was not my fulltime beat.
Have been with Ali, Frazier, Floyd Patterson, Tyson, Mathew Saad Muhammad, Dwight Braxton, Gerry Cooney naming a few.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 08/09/11 04:55 PM

Wow! What a time to be around boxing! The glory days! How did you find those fighters? I have heard that Floyd Patterson was incredibly sensitive and gentle. How did you find being ringside for big fights?
Posted By: kjk

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 08/09/11 07:43 PM

As beat writer for a daily pretty much the schedule is arranged depending what your teams - Yankees, Mets, Rangers, Islanders, Deils, Knicks, Giants, Jets - are up too. Fans expect stories everyday on them so usually I'd be at their facility most day hanging with players, owners coaches ect. Just make sure not to get scooped on a big story.
Typically, editors sent me out for something else during the day ie boxing press conference ; a luncheon at 21 Club, Four Seasons, Gallaghers Steak House, World Trade Center, Plaza Hotel... announcing a big signing or scheduled event. Actually I didn't cover Patterson as a fighter but met him several times, including lunching at MSG Hall of Fame Club while he was NYS Boxing Commissioner.
He displayed kindness, warmth above and beyond around me and others. Always a soft spoken gentleman.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 08/10/11 09:24 AM

Yeah Patterson always struck me as a gentle, loving human, it was very cruel how Ali toyed with him when they fought, a result of Patterson calling Ali Clay.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 08/28/11 07:50 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c98cLd9-eUg

Link to full first episode of the good HBO show 24/7, a build-up show to next months huge fight between Victor Ortiz and Floyd Mayweather!
Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 09/02/11 04:12 PM

Massive boxing fan here. Like to see Floyd v Pacman but can't see it happening! Looking forward to seeing Carl Froch fight Andre Ward in October. That will be a great fight.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 09/02/11 04:29 PM

Yeah I can't wait for the Froch fight, if he wins he will be in the top 10 pound for pound! British boxing is on a real high atm. (I'm from UK)
Posted By: Lilo

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 09/07/11 11:36 PM

Arturo Gatti Murdered
NORTH BERGEN, N.J. -- Former junior welterweight champion Arturo Gatti was murdered two years ago in Brazil, a panel of forensic evidence experts said Wednesday as it presented the results of a 10-month investigation initiated to challenge the official version that Gatti committed suicide.

"This case must be reopened if authorities in Brazil have an iota of moral, ethical and legal concern for their reputation," said noted forensic pathologist Cyril Wecht, who termed the version produced by the initial criminal investigation "pure, unadulterated fiction."

Brazilian authorities initially considered Gatti's wife a prime suspect and arrested her, but released her soon after and concluded Gatti had hung himself with a handbag strap.

Eduardo Trindade, a lawyer assisting Gatti's family, said Wednesday he would have the panel's report translated and presented to prosecutors in Brazil within the next month or two and would push for an indictment of Amanda Rodrigues Gatti.

While no one at Wednesday's news conference explicitly accused her of being involved in murder, several speakers stopped barely short of that.

"If she was there alone, who committed the homicide?" said Paul Ciolino, a Chicago-based investigator hired by Pat Lynch, Gatti's former manager. "He was murdered because he had some dough. It's the oldest motive in the world."

Amanda Gatti is involved in a legal battle with Gatti's family over her late husband's fortune, estimated at $6 million by Ciolino. A civil trial is under way in Canada...

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 09/08/11 03:56 AM

I was a huge Gatt fan, I don't think it was suicide!

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 09/12/11 01:34 PM

I too loved Gatti, a real star!

I see Vitali whupped Tomas Adamek on Saturday, no surprises there, the fella is just to damn big.....
Posted By: Mick2010

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 09/13/11 06:33 PM

I knew from the day that it happened that Gatti was murdered. They need to lock up that evil [BadWord] for life. But instead, she'll probably get most of his money. fuckin joke.\

Really hoping V Ortiz can at least give Floyd a decent fight, but with Floyds speed, defense and counter punching, I expect a one-sided bout. Really hope Im wrong though.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 09/16/11 05:53 PM

Yeah, Floyd to win although i also hope Ortiz gives it to him.....

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 09/17/11 02:09 AM

This is similar to what Led Zeppelin and The Rolling Stones did to the concert business in the seventies-reduce the influence of the promoter and ensure that the talent gets the money.

Not every boxer can do this but I'm happy to see Mayweather being smart enough and strong enough to take control of matters. The only people upset are the leeches..

Mayweather's Financial Model

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 09/18/11 04:21 AM

Man I hate Mayweather he is a unlikeable prick, I wish Merchant would of clocked him!!
Posted By: ronnierocketAGO

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 09/19/11 05:53 AM

Originally Posted By: Lilo
This is similar to what Led Zeppelin and The Rolling Stones did to the concert business in the seventies-reduce the influence of the promoter and ensure that the talent gets the money.

Not every boxer can do this but I'm happy to see Mayweather being smart enough and strong enough to take control of matters. The only people upset are the leeches..

Mayweather's Financial Model

Unfortunately, he's also devalueing his title and sport (and himself) with his petty bullshit. Pussying out against Manny, now this.

Posted By: J Geoff

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 09/19/11 06:37 AM

Those hits were legit -- HBO could at least find someone less than 120 years old to interview him, too -- maybe he'd speak faster than 2 words per minute... wtf??

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 09/19/11 09:44 AM

Yes technically Mayweather did nothing wrong, protect yourself at all times is the rule. I don't know what Ortiz was doing with the headbutt and hugging. It was clear that Ortiz had no chance to win, completely outclassed. However the whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 09/19/11 10:53 AM

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 09/19/11 10:56 AM

Larry Merchant has had problems with everyone. The boxer's primary job is to protect himself at all times. The entertainment aspect is important but it's secondary. To me Merchant often comes across as that irritating boss or teacher who has to find something negative to say even when faced with a job well done.

It's his schtick and works for him but I don't care for it. frown
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 09/19/11 03:01 PM

Originally Posted By: NickyScarfo
I wish Merchant would of clocked him!!

Why, did you want to see an 80 year old man beaten to death?

Merchant is a bombastic douchebag. He was a bombastic douchebag at 50, and he's still a jerk at 80. HBO should have fired his ass a long time ago.

Ortiz should have kept his hands up. End of story.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 09/19/11 03:27 PM

I just don't like Mayweather PB, not that I particularly like Merchant. I hate the way Mayweather ducks and dives certain opponents! Kosta Tszu, Pacquiao, Cotto etc

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 09/19/11 03:44 PM

I just don't like Mayweather PB, not that I particularly like Merchant. I hate the way Mayweather ducks and dives certain opponents! Kosta Tszu, Pacquiao, Cotto etc

That's cool, Nicky. I'm not particluarly a fan of Mayweather's, but I never could take Larry Merchant and his condescending demeanor.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 09/19/11 03:49 PM

Yeah i know what you mean...luckily in Australia we don't have to hear much of his commentary!

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 09/20/11 08:16 PM

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
I wish Merchant would of clocked him!!

Why, did you want to see an 80 year old man beaten to death?

Merchant is a bombastic douchebag. He was a bombastic douchebag at 50, and he's still a jerk at 80. HBO should have fired his ass a long time ago.

Ortiz should have kept his hands up. End of story.

Well said PB, saves me saying the same thing!

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 10/02/11 01:42 PM

Sergio Martinez ko'd Darren Barker in the 11th round last night. Barker was tough (as I knew he would be) and made Martinez look average at times, but Sergio pulled out the win.
There's talk of a potential Mayweather-Martinez fight which would do huge huge business, Before last night most thought Mayweather would avoid Sergio like the plague, but after last night...
Could it happen??

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 10/04/11 09:06 AM

Barker put up a good show,he is a good fighter who can come again!!

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 10/13/11 12:54 PM

Kell Brook. A name to watch out for and follow folks. An exciting, unbeaten young welter from the UK with big things in store. Already being lined up to fight Andre Berto with bigger things to follow....you heard it from me, watch this space cool

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 10/13/11 01:41 PM

Yeah I know about Brook, a Sheffield guy, it looks like he has all the skills. He's already called Khan out but I think that's too soon and makes no business sense as Brook needs to build his name a little more.
He's in a pretty exciting division so hopefully we will see him in big fights soon.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 10/15/11 05:51 PM

They talking Brook v Khan for next year possibly????

Settling down to watch a good scrap in the light heavy div. Nathan Cleverly v scouse banger Tony Bellew. Should be a belter i reckon!!

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 10/15/11 06:02 PM

Yeah there has been whispers of that happening next year as it would do well in the UK. Yes I too am looking forward to Cleverly v Bellew, Clev is class but you know what? He gets hit a little too much IMO.
Also we have Hopkins V Dawson tonight aswell, It will probably be a snooze fest as are all Hopkins fights but I give the man respect he is 47!

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 10/15/11 06:16 PM

I forgot about B Hop rolleyes

I know what you are saying about him but the man just keeps doing it. Incredible!!

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 10/18/11 06:20 PM

Cleverly v Bellew was a great fight, a real humdinger!

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 10/18/11 11:34 PM

Yeah much closer than I thought! Respect to Bellew for that display! As for the Hopkins fight, I'm not even going to go into that...

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 10/21/11 03:21 PM

Yes it was all a bit strange. Funnily enough they are still lining up Hopkins to be Cleverlys next opponent!
Posted By: LeroyJones

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 10/21/11 04:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas
Yes it was all a bit strange. Funnily enough they are still lining up Hopkins to be Cleverlys next opponent!

I read today that the WBC gave Hopkins his title back. Boxing is self destructing right in front of us. What a shame, it seems everybody is into the MMA fights these days.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 10/21/11 04:30 PM

Yeah the biggest problem in boxing is all the stupid governing bodies, especially the WBC, bunch of crooks, good fights still happen but us fans have to put up with a lot of bullshit.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 10/24/11 01:50 PM

Not sure about the rest of the world but Britain has got a great domestic scene going just now. Lots of good young fighters coming through, all wanting to fight each other and more importantly many of them getting good TV exposure!

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 10/26/11 05:00 PM

Yeah British boxing sure is booming, America is in some trouble, Mexico, Puerto Rico is still big into boxing.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 11/02/11 03:01 PM

Phillipines doing well also...they heve some guy fighting, Manny something or other....he seems quite popular tongue

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 11/02/11 03:26 PM

Phillipines doing well also...they heve some guy fighting, Manny something or other....he seems quite popular tongue

lol
Posted By: flamingokid123

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 11/02/11 11:15 PM

Yeah British boxing sure is booming, America is in some trouble, Mexico, Puerto Rico is still big into boxing.

Mexicans boxers are tough ass nails.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 11/04/11 09:53 AM

Lets not get too excited yet but the word on the street is the MGM Grand has tentatively pencilled in the 5th May next year for a meeting between a certain unbeaten fighter and a Filipino icon... Yeah I know we have been through this before but I'm hopeful!
Posted By: SC

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 11/05/11 09:58 AM

Sad news today. The New York Post is reporting that former heavyweight champ Joe Frazier has a short time left in which to live. Smokin' Joe has deadly liver cancer and is now in his final fight of his life.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 11/05/11 10:12 AM

Oh jeez this is a tragedy what a fighter, so brave and tough with a great hook, so many boxing memories, in a word, Legend.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 11/06/11 02:20 PM

Sad news. Smokin Joe one of my all time favourite fighters. A true warrior frown

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 11/07/11 01:11 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22Lur8x32sg

Well we had a great great fight at the weekend...Finally! A real slug fest between James Kirkland and Alfredo Angulo, here is the fight in full.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 11/08/11 04:37 AM

Farewell, Smokin' Joe.

Joe Frazier, the first pro to beat Muhammad Ali, and the former heavyweight champion, died today at age 67. He had cancer and it quickly beat him.

He was a good clean fighter and a decent man.

R.I.P. Joe

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 11/08/11 01:22 PM

Amen to that SC. He was my favourite heavy of all time.

He was also my Dad's favourite, which possibly influenced me early on. My old man was of the older generation who never warmed to Ali so as i was coming up all i heard about was Smokin Joe. Although he was retired by the time i was in my teens i have dug up and watched all his fights over the years.

What a fighter, the modern day boys could not last a round with him.

RIP Joe. A true legend frown
Posted By: Just Lou

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 11/09/11 09:24 PM

I'm not really a boxing fan, but R.I.P. Joe. ...About the most interest I have in boxing is that "Cinderella Man" James Braddock lived on the same street as me until his death in the 70's.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 11/12/11 01:10 PM

Manny fights tonight so that means Ibarra will be posting several hundred photos of him over the next few days... lol

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 11/12/11 01:47 PM

Opinions on the fight tonight, Pac v Marquez?? I got Pac winning a clearer decision than previous meetings, possibly by late stoppage. Marquez is 37, and showing signs of slowing down IMO.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 11/12/11 03:12 PM

I agree Nicky. Marquez is a tough old hombre who drinks his own piss for strength but age is against him. Manny should do a number on him, but hey you never know eh?

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 11/12/11 03:20 PM

Yeah certainly looking forward to watching should be a decent scrap!

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 11/12/11 03:28 PM

Manny always good value. The only time i never rooted for him was when he fought Hatton!

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 11/12/11 03:38 PM

Yeah that was a horrible experience... Since Hatton retired I haven't been able to get as excited for a Brit fighter, I don't know there was something special about Hatton, I will never forget the build-up for the Mayweather fight!

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 11/13/11 08:20 AM

Yes that was great wasn't it? All the Brits in Vegas drinking all the bars dry. Briliant tongue

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 11/26/11 12:56 PM

Just read Barry McGuigans auto-biography. Great read of a great man and a cracking fighter. I remember watching him beat Pedroza in '85 and the lose to Stevie Cruz the year after in the sweltering heat of Vegas. He had such tremendous support. Now of course a brilliant commentator on Sky. Read this book if you can!!

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 11/27/11 04:00 AM

Iv'e been meaning to get hold of that. You know a lot of American fight fans and writers don't think he should be in the hall of fame.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 11/27/11 09:21 AM

I think it is because he was only world champ for 18 months....but if they can have Sly Stallone in there why not little Baz smile

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 11/27/11 09:46 AM

Question I'm asking myself is will Ricky Hatton get into the hall of fame??

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 11/27/11 09:51 AM

For the level of his support and what he gave to boxing yes, but in the ring i don't know. Apart from beating Tzuyu??? I know he defended a few times but the biggest 2 fights of his career he lost!!

I would have him in though, big Hatton fan, my kinda fighter!

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 12/03/11 11:39 AM

Come on Cotto!!! Never have I wanted someone to get hurt in the ring before, but with this scumbag Margarito it's a different matter!

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 12/04/11 08:26 AM

Never seen any of the fights but glad Cotto did a number on Margarito. Cotto one of my faves and Margarito obviously tainted for ever!

Another good fight last night was the exciting Brandon Rios against England's warrior John Murray at lightweight. My mate just texted me to say it was an absolute belter, a war, my kind of fight. Rios won but Murray shwed enormous courage and balls!

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 12/04/11 08:42 AM

Yeah I saw the while show, Murray was spirited but he took a vicious, vicious beating, blood everywhere, the sort of fight which ruins a fighter.
Cotto was masterful, he boxed beautifully, never getting trapped on the ropes. For me he won practically every round.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 12/04/11 09:15 AM

I like bleeders with heart, my kinda fighters smile

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 12/10/11 01:32 AM

Is Amir Khan the next big thing? Future Pound for pound champ?

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 12/11/11 08:56 AM

Is Amir Khan the next big thing? Future Pound for pound champ?

Not now he's not lol

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 12/11/11 11:00 AM

lol yeah who saw that coming?!

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 12/11/11 11:25 AM

Just watched it and here is what i reckon!

1. It was a great fight!

2. I not a big Khan fan, he has never struck a chord with me, but i thought he won by a point. Obviously the points off affected him but it was that sort of fight. His classless whinging afterwards made me sick....

3. Well done to Peterson, a rags to riches story. I have said it before, come forward gutsy scrappers are my kinda fighters smile

4. Re-matsch for sure!!

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 12/11/11 11:46 AM

Agree on all points, any where else in the world and Khan wins that fight by a couple of points! Hard not to like Petersen, well done to him!

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 12/11/11 11:49 AM

Froch v Ward next week. Obviously rooting for Froch big style but he has hands full, Ward a class act.

Should be a belter of a fight!!

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 12/11/11 12:09 PM

Yeah I think this is the fight I'm looking forward to most this year, A very tough fight and if Froch wins Iv'e heard rumblings he's a lock for the hall of fame. Will be extremely tough to get inside Wards jab and also avoid his head!
Posted By: Frosty

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 12/11/11 05:49 PM

I don't have cable , if that makes a difference. I like boxing and can remember when the big fights were on. We have some of that kick boxing stuff around hare. Kung fuuy , guys are good but damm it is not the same. I don't know what happened in this part of the country, I guess they see to many cowboys belting each other ohwell

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 12/13/11 09:27 PM

Just watched a TV show called FIGHT OF THEIR LIVES,all about the brutal fight between Nigel Benn and Gerald McClellan back in 1995. I remember watching this fight and screaming at the TV. Benn was one of my favourite fighters and this scrap had it all in spades.

Of course the aftermath was shocking and seeing it all again was very moving, Benn genuinely torn up about it(despite his flippant attitude at the time), McClellans sisters anger and poor McClellan himself, asking every day if he won the fight!!!!

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 12/14/11 02:15 PM

Yeah Iv'e seen that too very good feature, very sad.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 12/17/11 12:07 PM

Good luck to Carl Froch later. He has a very tough fight ahead but i supporting him the whole way cool

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 12/18/11 09:25 AM

Well that was that then......

Ward a class act indeed and it was a hard, frustrating night for Froch.

At 34, Froch should walk away, he has nothing more to prove to anybody in the ring!

On the undercard, talented Brit welter Kell Brook showed his wares pretty impressively!

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 12/31/11 07:58 PM

Watched a video of Mayweather v. Ortiz the other night. Ortiz more than held his own for the first three rounds. Then Floyd started battering him. Ortiz deliberately head-butted him. Ref took a point away from Ortiz, then called time in. Ortiz tried to shake gloves with Floyd, but while the ref was looking the other way, Floyd clocked Ortiz with a terrific combo--and lights out. Perfectly legal: defend yourself at all times.

After the fight, Larry Merchant of HBO was hounding Floyd to explain himself. After a while, Floyd told Merchant he never gave him a fair shake, and that he was "s**t." Merchant replied, "If I were fifty years younger, I'd kick your ass!" lol
Posted By: Nova24

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 01/22/12 07:53 PM

Looks like Pacquiao/Cotto II is going to be announced on Monday.

I'm a big fan of both guys but I don't see how this fight plays out differently than the first.

Bob Arum is ruining the sport.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 02/19/12 05:02 PM

So the weekend's boxing...David Haye, Chisora brawl WTF!!!! crazy weekend, both have been arrested by German police, Chisora has said he will shoot Haye dead..oh and burn him too.
Anyone else see all of this!
Posted By: DE NIRO

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 02/19/12 08:34 PM

I watched this and was embarrassed for them both,was pathetic and Chisora comments were out of order.. I would like to see Haye beat Chisora in the ring though..

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 02/20/12 01:08 AM

Haye just needs to shut his mouth and realize he's a joke.
After the performance (or lack of performance) he had against Wladimir I hope he never gets a big fight again.
He doesn't deserve it.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 02/20/12 05:13 AM

Nova24, good to see another boxing fan on here! We will talk more about the Cotto fight coming up, I saw you are a Cotto fan.
Posted By: veneratio

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 02/20/12 06:18 AM

Originally Posted By: Nova24

Bob Arum is ruining the sport.

Absolutely. Well said.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 02/20/12 06:21 AM

The Chisora/Haye fiasco was incredible. Even worse than Tyson and Lewis in their pre-fight brawl.

Chisora though looked to be the trouble causer, he slapped Vitali at the weigh in, spat water in his brothers Wladimir's face.. I don't like Haye but I don't think went to have a fight there and then. Chisora is a loose cannon.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 02/20/12 08:31 PM

Originally Posted By: veneratio
The Chisora/Haye fiasco was incredible. Even worse than Tyson and Lewis in their pre-fight brawl.

Chisora though looked to be the trouble causer, he slapped Vitali at the weigh in, spat water in his brothers Wladimir's face.. I don't like Haye but I don't think went to have a fight there and then. Chisora is a loose cannon.

As if slapping Vitali and spitting in Wladmir's face wasn't enough for one night...

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 02/20/12 08:33 PM

And there are a lot of rumors going around that Pacquiao may retire after the Bradley fight.
I was hopeful the Mayweather/Pac fight would eventually happen, but at this point, I could care less.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 02/20/12 09:49 PM

[/quote]

As if slapping Vitali and spitting in Wladmir's face wasn't enough for one night... [/quote]

Exactly, it's quite funny too because in the press conferences leading up to the fight he was so nice and well behaved, it was almost as if he idolised Klitschko until the weigh in and he just transformed into a scum-bag.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 02/20/12 09:53 PM

And there are a lot of rumors going around that Pacquiao may retire after the Bradley fight.
I was hopeful the Mayweather/Pac fight would eventually happen, but at this point, I could care less.

Isn't it so frustrating? What could be one of the biggest fights of all time, certainly the biggest revenue wise, will probably not happen because of greed and management etc. Ridiculous. I've kind of accepted it will never happen now, boxing while I love it has been run into the ground on the high level because of these antics.

This is one thing I must say that MMA has got sorted. The UFC has basically bought out all large rival companies and owns all the fighters so it makes the fights that the fans want to see happen which is fantastic and that is why it's one of the fastest growing sports in the world, because it actually gives the fans what they want.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 02/21/12 09:20 AM

Chisora and Haye are a pair of jokers for sure...but don't be surprised to see them fight each other in a mega bucks domestic spat in the coming months!!

That is provided they don't lose their licenses over this fiasco???

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 02/21/12 11:07 AM

Good point Yogi, hype sells fights... I think I would rather that then Haye vs Vitali maybe. Imagine it would be a repeat of his Wladimir fight. Chisora may be in more trouble for the threats to kill!!! Haha, jeepers.

It's a shame, the heavyweight division just seems to have nothing going for it. All the good fights are around Welterweight these days and there aren't too many good ones left there either.

Where are todays Tyson's, Holyfield's, Lewis's, Tua's etc at heavyweight?

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 02/21/12 11:30 AM

With all the hoopla surrounding the fight, people seem to forget that Chisora actually did quite well against Vitali, who although he definitely won, looked all of his 40 years and more at the final bell. I don't think big Klitsch has much gas left in his tank to be honest.....

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 02/21/12 11:49 AM

Oh well, not sure what will happen at heavyweight when the Klitschko's are gone, it will be open season!
But in saying that, I just looked at the worlds top ranked 50 heavyweight boxers and I must say.. Basically a lot of has beens and no-one who offers too much excitement. I don't want the sport of boxing to die but it's on shaky legs!
http://boxing.about.com/cs/rankingschampions/a/bl_heavy.htm

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 02/21/12 11:56 AM

Some real bums on that list.........

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 02/21/12 12:06 PM

Indeed, at least Khan is looking good for you guys in the U.K. Hope he does well in his rematch, I missed the controversial fight with Peterson.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 02/21/12 12:16 PM

Khan is probably our best bet for super stardom still. Carl Froch is a great warrior but he is getting old. Nathan Cleverly is a top prospect at light heavy!

A few more to watch are David Price at heavy, Kell Brook at welter amd Scott Quigg at light welter. Also great rivals at super middle, James DeGale and George Groves.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 02/21/12 12:34 PM

I really think Kell Brook is ready for bigger challenges, throw him in with the likes of Devon Alexander for instance. Boxing fans have known for a long time not to look at the HW division, it sucks that it is not good but there are tons of fighters who are incredible who mainstream fans don't know about, Featherweights, bantomweights etc. Check out Nonito Donaire he is at least the 4th best fighter in the world.
As for the Klitschko bros, I hate them, I don't care that their gentlemen and respectful, they are boring and cautious in the ring! Wlad made no effort to KO Haye even though he probs could of, And Vitali made Dereck Chisora look good! HAHAHAH!!!

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 02/21/12 12:40 PM

The klitschkos wound Chisora up before the fight as well. Told him he couldn't use his own ring-walk music, couldn't use his own security lads, put him in a hotel next to a building site, room service sending up the wrong food and strange phone calls all through the night!!

They never fight outside Germany where they will never losa a fight on points. They are a pair of boring, egotistical con men!!! Chisora was wrong to get mixed up in what he did, but he was obviously wound up!
Posted By: ht2

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 02/21/12 09:28 PM

Originally Posted By: veneratio

Isn't it so frustrating? What could be one of the biggest fights of all time, certainly the biggest revenue wise, will probably not happen because of greed and management etc. Ridiculous. I've kind of accepted it will never happen now, boxing while I love it has been run into the ground on the high level because of these antics.

This is one thing I must say that MMA has got sorted. The UFC has basically bought out all large rival companies and owns all the fighters so it makes the fights that the fans want to see happen which is fantastic and that is why it's one of the fastest growing sports in the world, because it actually gives the fans what they want.

You would expect that matches which generate biggest revenues would provide the incentive to satisfy fans. Is it a case of each side worried a loss might damage future earning potential? The hype of a rematch could generate even more money. Whatever the reason, boxing is in need of an overhaul, as you say along the lines of UFC. Too many decisions are left in the hands of individual parties.

The Mayweather camp's refusal to split the purse 50/50 with Pac seems like an avoidance tactic. Though I can see Mayweather asking larger share of Pay Per View, since he and De La Hoya hold the record for single boxing event ratings. They're both big draws for ratings but Mayweather probably has the edge.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 02/21/12 09:30 PM

Oh wow, I didn't know that, that's shocking treatment. It's funny because the Klitschko's still get a lot of boos from the crowd in Germany even though they've basically made it their home town.

I won't miss their fighting style, very boring fighters indeed. I am looking forward to Cotto and Mayweather but I like Mayweather and I like Cotto. Not the fight I want to see but... Still better than anything else coming up.
Posted By: Frank_Nitti

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 02/22/12 12:10 AM

Any truth to the rumor that Floyd Mayweather openly admits to slapping his wife in front of their children? confused
Posted By: Frosty

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 02/22/12 02:30 AM

So what you read in the paper, see on TMZ ? To me it is what they do in the ring, unless they wanna play OJ ! I like boxing and wish I could see more fights, but that is my fault. But looking at fighters of all times and damm good ones , personal life should be left out of the ring unless there are charges ! Hear Say Sucks !

Just Sayen ! wink cool

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 02/27/12 08:05 AM

Yeah I don't know Frank. He's pleaded guilty, that much I know but as to what really happened who knows. I like to think that it's been blown out of proportion and that what-ever happened was minimal. I know assault can include some flimsy stuff like grabbing an arm or a push etc and while I'm not saying that those things are acceptable, I certainly wouldn't think they are worthy of the attention this is getting. But it apparently does say he struck her in some form, possibly a slap? I don't know. I like Mayweather, don't approve of this though but because I wasn't there I'm going to think twice about calling him guity just because he pleaded that way. He's a famous black athlete, how many times have you seen falsified or blown out of proportion claims against top black athletes... Too many to count.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 02/28/12 12:55 PM

I see Devon Alexander beat Marcos Maidana easily at the week-end?? Was a good fight!

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 03/02/12 11:07 PM

Classic fight from the 90's, boy these two hated each other..

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 03/03/12 01:28 PM

Yogi, are you a fan of Louis Theroux? I love his documentaries. Anyway have you seen his documentary on Chris Eubank?
What about you DE NIRO?

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 03/04/12 07:56 AM

Hi V, i have watched the Eubank programme and very much enjoyed it, he's an interesting character.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 03/04/12 08:22 AM

Yes i have seen that Eubank show as well. He is an interesting character....mad as a hatter lol

Funnily enough his son is boxing now as well.....and he is called Chris Eubank as well!!

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 03/05/12 03:43 PM

My dear boxing fans mark your diaries 14 April. Rios V Gamboa!!! For the true boxing fans I don't have to explain why to watch this, all I will say is we would all probably agree we will see more excitement than Mayweather v Pacquiao or almost any other fight we can name.
Its a fight like this that makes following this messed up sport worth it!

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 03/06/12 01:04 PM

That Nicky, will be a proper belter smile

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 03/07/12 04:20 AM

Chris Eubank was a great fighter, you would just never pick it from watching his documentary. He is a very complicated character haha. My favourite British boxer of all time would be The Prince, Naseem Hamed I think, legend.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 03/07/12 05:25 PM

Yeah the legend who Paralyzed someone in a car accident and went to jail for a couple of years, after he finished fighting. Wasted talent. He was a good fighter though..

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 03/08/12 03:56 AM

Oh wow, I didn't know about that. He was an amazing talent. I know he lost one fight, fought once more then retired. Far too early in my opinion. A good like-able showman is hard to find but I loved Naseem. Some people can just pull cocky off, but it's usually those who can back it up with real talent I guess. He had a real gift.

Where do you lads think Joe Calzaghe goes on the list of best pound for pound fighters ever?

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 03/08/12 12:36 PM

Yes Naseem was a great fighter to watch but he was a prick outside the ring. I still see him ringside at some fights and lets just say he could come back as a heavyweight now smile

Calzaghe was a great fighter who was unbeaten. some of his detractors may say some of his early opponents were not quite up to scratch...but the fact remains he won all his biggest fights and retired unbeaten!

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 03/08/12 04:58 PM

Calzaghe was a great fighter but couldn't dance as we saw on Strictly come dancing smile

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 03/10/12 02:37 PM

Originally Posted By: DE NIRO
Calzaghe was a great fighter but couldn't dance as we saw on Strictly come dancing smile

tongue

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 03/11/12 07:12 AM

WOW the Salido-Juan Mauel Lopez fight was unreal!!! Round 9 one off the best rounds I have ever seen!

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 03/11/12 08:52 AM

Havn't seen it yet but read about it on the net! Sounds awesome!

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 03/26/12 03:01 AM

Bert Sugar, boxing writer, died this past Saturday. He was 75.
Posted By: klydon1

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 03/26/12 03:22 AM

Originally Posted By: SC
Bert Sugar, boxing writer, died this past Saturday. He was 75.

Wow. I missed that.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 03/27/12 09:18 AM

He was a colourful character for sure, but for some reason i thought he was older??

RIP

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 04/29/12 12:02 PM

Dawson V Hopkins was another snore fest i see?? rolleyes

B Hop needs to call it quits now.....

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 04/29/12 12:05 PM

Yeah thank god he got beaten, I would of rather watched paint dry than that fight. Oh well next week should be good!

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 04/29/12 12:39 PM

Oh yes, next week a completely different kettle of fish cool

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 05/06/12 07:22 AM

What a great fight! Congrats to Mayweather, he was made to work for his victory, never have I seen his face so busted up before, Cotto is a great fighter. I really think Mayweather is far better than Pacquiao.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 05/06/12 07:30 AM

Much as i dislike Mayweather, he is a true pound for pound great.

Now he needs to get his ass off to jail, at least he should be ok in the showers whistle

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 05/06/12 06:26 PM

Amazing the way Mayweather turned it up a notch just when he needed to. I never liked him due to his personality, but there's no denying his place in history as one of the "pound-for-pound" all-time greats.

If the fight ever happens, he will beat Pacquiao like a rented mule. Mark that down and hold me accountable if I'm wrong. And trust me, I hope I am wrong, because I still don't like Mayweather.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 05/08/12 12:48 PM

Hearing a couple of things today...

1. Lamont Peterson has failed a drugs test!!!

2. David Haye and Derek Chisora are to fight each other at Upton Park in the summer, a real grudge match this one smile

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 05/21/12 01:07 PM

Good British heavy coming through is Liverpool's David Price. he is demolishing guys and won again at the week-end. Tyson Fury, who is over-hyped if not entertaining, is dodging him!!

Certainly one to watch, i think he could be a real power in the division over the next few years!

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 05/21/12 01:23 PM

Yogi did you hear about Mikkel Kessler's KO of Allen Green? Chilling. The best 1 punch ko of the year so far. It's on youtube.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 05/21/12 01:30 PM

Heard but had not seen. Will check it out, cheers mate!
Posted By: danielperrygin

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 05/21/12 01:55 PM

Nice left hook, never seen him fight before. Ima put my fav knockout on here it mma though.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 05/21/12 01:57 PM

Ya Mikkel Kessler is a very good fighter.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 05/22/12 11:56 AM

Would like to see him and Froch have another go at each other!!

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 05/27/12 08:35 AM

What a performance from Carl Froch! Destroyed Lucian Bute. Great night for British boxing!

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 05/27/12 08:52 AM

Brilliant Nicky. Missed it last night but avoided the result and just watched it this morning. Absolutely awesome mate. I a big Carl fan, my kinda fighter cool

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 05/28/12 08:08 AM

I see Johnny Tapia passed away.

A troubled character but a great fighter!

RIP frown

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 05/29/12 05:50 AM

Another sad Boxing news story today, Paul Williams former middleweight, Light Middleweight champ was in a motorbike accident and is paralysed from the waist down. There is no chance he will walk again. He was scheduled to fight Saul Alvarez which would have been one of the biggest fight of his career. Very sad.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 05/29/12 08:44 AM

Jeez.....missed that one. Sad, sad stuff! frown

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 06/09/12 07:29 AM

Pacquiao to win, then lets get this Mayweather fight signed!
Posted By: olivant

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 06/10/12 06:47 PM

As a kid I used to follow boxing quite a bit. Of course, like most people, I followed the heavyweight fights. However, with the denouement of that boxing class, I've lost interest. I try to get interested in the other weight classes, but I haven't been successful. I wish the heavyweight class would spawn a single fighter that I could get interested in. Well, everything changes.
Posted By: IvyLeague

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 06/10/12 10:11 PM

I've only seen highlights of the fight but if...

Pacquiao landed 253 of 751 punches, a connect rate of 34 percent. Bradley landed 159 of 839, a connect rate of just 19 percent. On top of that, Pacquiao seemed to land the more powerful shots.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/boxing--tim...y-pacquiao.html

...what the heck? confused
Posted By: IvyLeague

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 06/10/12 10:12 PM

Pacquiao to win, then lets get this Mayweather fight signed!

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think Mayweather wants to fight Pacquiao. He doesn't want to lose his 0.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 06/11/12 07:55 AM

I never watched it but apparently its a stinker of a result?? Oh well.....
Posted By: Fat_Ralph

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 08/20/12 04:12 AM

I cant stand Mayweather, he truly is one of the best Boxers Ive seen from a tacticianl stand point tho'... He might fight Manny know after he is longer with his former promotional team(GoldenBoy/Ellerbe/Team Money-May), he linked up with 50Cent and his promotional team(TMT(The Money Team)), who have Mayweather, Broner and a few other good prospects, we should start seeing the real power house fights back in boxing, 50 is a cold calculating business man I'll give him that, so we should get these star studded cards soon(throwbacks to the 80's-early 90's)... I mean HBO/ShowTime havent released any upcoming fights after the Alvarez.vs.Chavez JR fight in October, Manny and Floyd always fight in November, and I think as a result of the new 50cent promotional team and Floyds release from prison has everything to do with it, I'll have more info on this soon as Im a regular on every boxing Forum and Site, non stop..
Posted By: Fat_Ralph

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 08/20/12 04:15 AM

Originally Posted By: IvyLeague
I've only seen highlights of the fight but if...

Pacquiao landed 253 of 751 punches, a connect rate of 34 percent. Bradley landed 159 of 839, a connect rate of just 19 percent. On top of that, Pacquiao seemed to land the more powerful shots.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/boxing--tim...y-pacquiao.html

...what the heck? confused

Just another black eye on the sport(no pun intended)of boxing, just insane how Pac can land at a rate of 34% and Bradley at 19%(as you said) and he(Bradley) gets the win, not sure what the judges were looking at, 2 of those judges have been suspended by the top boxing committees, just insane...

Posted By: ThePolakVet

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 11/08/12 10:15 PM

10th November Klitschko vs. Wach, going to be a nice one.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 11/09/12 04:27 PM

Originally Posted By: ThePolakVet

I'm afraid the Klitschkos leave me cold now....not denying they are the best out there, just boring fights against border line bums!!

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 11/10/12 12:28 AM

Yeah, no action. But I think Wach will definetely win this one, he has his own style.

Anyway, wanted to know if there's anyone here who's a boxer themselves?
Posted By: Camarel

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 11/10/12 04:15 AM

I'm afraid the Klitschkos leave me cold now....not denying they are the best out there, just boring fights against border line bums!!

Couldn't agree more it's the whole HW division .

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 11/10/12 04:21 AM

Yeah, no action. But I think Wach will definetely win this one, he has his own style.

Anyway, wanted to know if there's anyone here who's a boxer themselves?

I'm supporting Wach i know Wlad is supposed to be very dedicated to his fans and the sport as a whole which i fully respect him for but his fights are too boring imo. My 10 YO nephew started boxing 6 month ago i never did though .

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 11/10/12 10:20 AM

I'm a boxer my-self currently, I talked about Wlad Klitschko with my trainer, he stated that he has a good body for fights and as well thinks very much in the ring what he does. For Klitschko in the ring it is very good as he gets his victory most of the times, but for us as the viewers the fight looks boring.

If you want a good boxing match, I suggest watching Haye vs. Chisora. Because it was too damn mad there.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 11/10/12 10:32 AM

I'm a boxer my-self currently, I talked about Wlad Klitschko with my trainer, he stated that he has a good body for fights and as well thinks very much in the ring what he does. For Klitschko in the ring it is very good as he gets his victory most of the times, but for us as the viewers the fight looks boring.

If you want a good boxing match, I suggest watching Haye vs. Chisora. Because it was too damn mad there.

Yeah unfortunately the Klitschko's are tedious to watch, I don't even watch HW division now, its sucked since Lennox Lewis retired. My favorite boxer now is Cotto, love his style and he's always entertaining!

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 11/11/12 10:19 AM

Klitschko won Wach last night with UD.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 11/12/12 03:56 PM

Welsh light heavy Nathan Cleverly got a good win on Saturday!!

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 11/16/12 12:48 AM

Welsh light heavy Nathan Cleverly got a good win on Saturday!!

Tbh i've completely ignored this guy even though he's a LH champ i've never seen him fight. Sadly i think i've fallen victim to the promoters recently thank you for reminding me of him Yogi smile i'll look out for him next time.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 11/16/12 02:35 AM

Jesus Christ Hatton comes back next week, if ever there was a comeback destined to fail! The guy is about 100 in ring years!
Posted By: Five_Felonies

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 11/16/12 02:43 AM

Jesus Christ Hatton comes back next week, if ever there was a comeback destined to fail! The guy is about 100 in ring years!
you got that right! all joking aside, i'm not really looking forward to seeing him splattered on the canvas again! frown that K.O. against manny was brutal, and if i remember right, it took him a few minutes to even be able to be lifted onto his stool! not sure if this comeback is even the traditional boxing sob story(needs money ect!), as even with his huge coke habit, can you really spend millions on it? seems more like an addiction to just compete, which can be even more dangerous! if he's serious, at the very least i hope they move him along slowly and don't put him in with a killer too soon as the guy has a family for fucks sake

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 11/16/12 03:25 AM

I don't know if you watch cricket Nicky? I don't but i watch a league of their own where Freddie Flintoff is a captain. He's now a heavyweight boxer his first fight is coming up at the age of 35.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/other-sp...et-8316384.html

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 11/16/12 03:26 AM

Haha Camarel yeh actually I love cricket and have seen the Flintoff story, well good on him for getting into shape etc but we shouldn't give it too much attention!

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 11/16/12 03:29 AM

Haha Camarel yeh actually I love cricket and have seen the Flintoff story, well good on him for getting into shape etc but we shouldn't give it too much attention!

Obviously it's not gonna amount to anything he seems like a nice guy though and i wish him all the best.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 11/16/12 03:42 AM

And considering he once weighed 20 stone!

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 11/16/12 10:36 PM

Good fight tomorrow night.

I'm expecting Broner to stop DeMarco, I think he's the next big thing.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 11/16/12 10:39 PM

also, not boxing but georges st piere vs carlos condit for the ufc welterweight title tomorrow as well.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 11/17/12 10:10 PM

I was a massive Hatton fan but the glory days are gone for sure and i was a massive Freddie Flintoff fan as a cricketer. The boxing thing with him is a massive gimmick!!

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 11/17/12 10:27 PM

I was a massive Hatton fan but the glory days are gone for sure and i was a massive Freddie Flintoff fan as a cricketer. The boxing thing with him is a massive gimmick!!

I remember he said on a league of their own the WWE wanted to sign him as a wrestler .

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 11/17/12 10:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Camarel

I remember he said on a league of their own the WWE wanted to sign him as a wrestler .

That will probably be his next project. These people just cannot stay away from the limelight can they?? Very sad!!

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 11/21/12 03:22 AM

Just coming in now, news that Macho Camacho was shot and is in critical condition. He was in his car when he was shot. His driver was killed in the attack in Puerto Rico.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 11/21/12 11:45 AM

Wow frown

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 11/21/12 02:43 PM

It is reported now that Camacho's condition has worsened and he MAY be taken off life-support systems.
Posted By: Giancarlo

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 11/21/12 03:20 PM

Originally Posted By: SC
It is reported now that Camacho's condition has worsened and he MAY be taken off life-support systems.

Not looking good for Camacho.

"Doctors say 'Macho' Camacho in critical condition after Puerto Rico shooting"

Published November 21, 2012
Associated Press

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico – Former world boxing champion Hector "Macho" Camacho was in critical condition Wednesday after being shot in his native Puerto Rico, with doctors and his family expected to wrestle with whether to take him off life support after his condition worsened.

Full story @

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/11/21/...-rico-shooting/
Posted By: olivant

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 11/22/12 03:13 PM

MSN reports that he's brain dead.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 11/24/12 02:03 PM

Camacho is dead. frown

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 11/24/12 08:51 PM

Very sad.

I remember Hector from the early '80s. He lived in Harlem at the time but he hung out in the Bronx quite a bit. He was usually around the clubs on Westchester Avenue in Parkchester. There was on place in particular called PC's. He was there all the time. A lot of local boxers hung out there at the time. I remember Mark Breland and Iran Barkley well from that time period also. I can't say I knew any of them well, but I did meet them on several occasions.

Anyway, a lot of people didn't like Hector because he was so brash. But I say, Fuck that, the guy could back it up. He was also a pretty good martial artist. He looked like a pretty boy in the ring at times, but he was also a pretty good streetfighter. Even after he turned pro guys were always looking to test him. And they were usually sorry for it wink.

Anyway, none of that matters now. All that matters is that he's gone way too soon. Such a shame frown.
Posted By: Dapper_Don

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 11/24/12 09:20 PM

RIP Macho Camacho

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 11/25/12 01:13 AM

looks like ricky hatton is retired again. he started out pretty strong, but a left hook to the body put him out near the end of rd 9.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 11/25/12 05:50 PM

pretty good scrap last night between robert guerrero and andre berto, pretty impressive how guerrero is able to move up in weight and take his power and chin with him. he started out at fetherweight(126), and is now fighting and winning at welterweight(147). check the replay out here guys...
http://www.streamerica.com/2012/11/robert-guerrero-vs-andre-berto-free.html

next up, this one!

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 11/26/12 10:22 AM

Hatton should have been nowhere near a boxing ring on Saturday night!!

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 12/01/12 10:11 PM

Freddie Flintoff actually won his first fight last night. uhwhat lol I didn't get to see it but he was knocked down in the 2nd in the end the judges gave him it by a point.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/spo...onal-fight.html

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 12/02/12 10:00 AM

NOOOOOOO Cotto lost at the Garden!!!!! aghhh

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 12/02/12 10:39 AM

Nicky, much as i like Cotto, i feel he is coming to the end now. Always a shame because he has been such a great warrior over they years. Future Hall of Famer for sure!!

I watched Tyson Fury win again last night. He is useful, but over hyped and it was an awful fight to watch. Booooring!!!!

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 12/02/12 04:15 PM

NOOOOOOO Cotto lost at the Garden!!!!! aghhh
cotto fought ok, but the reach and physical size of trout were too much at this point in his career. his jab was almost non-existent, and he didn't go to the body with any regularity. on the upside, trout could turn into a big star, so there isn't much shame in losing to a young lion like that. cotto has had a great career with wins over mosley, judah, margarito, mayorga, and mallanaggi, and had respectable efforts againt maywether and manny, the two best fighters of his generation. while he's still young(32), he has had many tough fights so i think maybe a farewell fight in nyc or PR, but if not its time to call it a career imo.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 12/09/12 09:33 AM

Pacman KO'd cold!!!! Damn what a punch!!

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 12/09/12 12:34 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSet6htnVcQ lol
Posted By: Mark

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 12/09/12 01:39 PM

I love how their boxing trunks now resemble a NASCAR auto. How many more sponsors can they fit on those shorts?!?

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 12/09/12 08:12 PM

Helluva shot.

On a sad note, this fight series will probably go on until 2052 whistle.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 12/09/12 08:56 PM

amazing fight between them, that shot was so brutal that manny might wanna think about hanging it up, he has seemingly degraded alot in the last 2-3 years. boxing has shot itself in the foot again though, as pacquio/maywether is now dead in the water. way to go, because of greed on both sides as well as the promoters, we missed out on the biggest fight of the last 30+ years because someone wasn't willing to take the short end of the money and only walk away with 40+ million instead of 50. shit like this is why i've turned my back on the sport for the most part, although i still catch the big fights. you don't have thee same bullshit problems in mma, and with the added benefit of one championship per weight class.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 12/09/12 09:02 PM

This is broadcast in Spanish and it will probably get taken down in a few hours.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 12/10/12 02:04 PM

Anybody still bothered about a Manny v Floyd "super" fight?? rolleyes

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 12/13/12 01:42 PM

Amir Khan back in action on Saturday. I think he is a busted flush, to easy to hit but he always brings value for money!!

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 12/18/12 09:54 AM

Amir Khan looked good on Saturday, even though Molina was a bit limited. However Molina won my heart, just my type of fighter, tough and strong,full of guts. Khan will go on to a re-match with Garcia, a 50-50 fight for sure!!
Posted By: marine

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 12/22/12 03:23 AM

Yes Sir Anyone who loses someone..I grew up watchin this guy when i was i kid..felt sad his mom should of left him on support he was a fighter he might of came out of it.??He wasnt in an american hospital that was ashame..But my Favorite was PazzManian devil..But Macho helped make everyone his jab is so quick and he keept movin.He slid in his uppercuts and straght lefts alwayn when needed to..He is or was on Demand here in phlly on comcast..I watched the macho pazz fight like 30 times..You probally never forget that erea also..Macho Pazz Huagen Chavez MTaylor..

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 12/22/12 03:36 AM

Yea in away i still wanna see it..But how about Marquez and Floyd..Cant remember if they fought but that old man Marquez is a little monster and has a weight lifting program. where if he hit floyd with that 6'' choppy right, or hook its seeyalatter..I like floy he does things defenve that you
supposed to do THE basics..And he is the best at it now not ever..Just youtube SweetpeaWitaker..He was amazeing and other fighters say it.but i wanna see the new guys get a chance Andre Berto n floyd Adrian Broner, Macos Maddona even our own phlly guy Hammerin Hank Lundy..Lundy Berto n Broner have the fastest hands around...N have the best chance also at Floyd

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 12/22/12 03:52 AM

You called it so perfectly ..Ted Atlas said it him self Manny is a Singer Congressman doin Tv commercials and Lots of green money And oh meeting with romney before the fight???..All that stuff Takes away from motovation and hunger you need to fight on a real sharp level..Yea i love to see Floys Manny also..But there are alot of New guys commin up HankLundy Broner who is real fast. and Macos Maddona is a little wild man..Hope i spelled thier names right you can you tube thier fights..If fights are old enough to view

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 12/22/12 04:13 AM

One more thing before i go out tonight NBC sports chanel keeps replayin the Bryant Jennings fight against Bowie Tupou..Bryant is a Holyfield Built heavyweight from philly He works at the Franklin Mint..Guy runs 10km kinda unheard of 10 miles for a heavyweight!!Zero fat on him...He might of been nervous at first but he was workin the basics&rely Jabbin.. and movin around a little more than a heavyweight..Buut when time to open up he does he ended it with a huge 1punch ko uppercut..Tupou is no super slipper/blocker wasnt bobbin or weavin but he was no slouch either..He threw with velocidy also to and was i fine shape..Belive he was from New zealind cant remember..But All they do in these forgin countries is Fight..Believe me..Well any way no Bull Bryant Jennings is a heavyweight to WATCH He will b Payperview soon..He is on NBCsports Network NOW...!! Not the regular NBC.. it is NBCSPORTS CHANNEL next to espn...

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 12/22/12 10:04 AM

Originally Posted By: marine
Yea in away i still wanna see it..But how about Marquez and Floyd..Cant remember if they fought but that old man Marquez is a little monster and has a weight lifting program. where if he hit floyd with that 6'' choppy right, or hook its seeyalatter..I like floy he does things defenve that you
supposed to do THE basics..And he is the best at it now not ever..Just youtube SweetpeaWitaker..He was amazeing and other fighters say it.but i wanna see the new guys get a chance Andre Berto n floyd Adrian Broner, Macos Maddona even our own phlly guy Hammerin Hank Lundy..Lundy Berto n Broner have the fastest hands around...N have the best chance also at Floyd

Floyd and Marquez already fought, Floyd won every second of every round, total mismatch in terms of weight classes also.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 12/22/12 09:38 PM

Ok thanks i hear you i gotta youtube that one..I was about to chime in on Steve USS Cunningham (real nice guy) one of my favorites along with Tomasz Adamek..About to Rematch on LOCAL TV..Awesome..Chanel WCAU is the chanel... The Chanel sunday nite football plays on..Gonna b a good fight..ITS ON NOW..

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 12/22/12 10:01 PM

USS Cunningham and Tamasz Adamek are walkin out now it is gonna be a good one..Nbc sports the chanel..The the same chan sunday nite football plays on..

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 12/22/12 11:11 PM

Nice fight USS Cunningham started out sticken his jab fast.. but in rd 7 Adamek started 2 win a few.. WOOOOW THEY JUST Changed thier minds..JUst gave it to Adamek AFTER calling it a draw..?Hey he won a few late rds but Cunningham out jabbed him and a few nice straight rights..USS Cunningham won that..Now if Adamek got on the inside more n worked i would of gave it to him..But he fought at Cunninghams distance.. And Adamek looked bigger n slower than ever an i like him..Didnt look like him out there..but money an he is ageing a little..USS looked in magnificent shape.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 12/23/12 07:33 PM

Bad Judging....AGAIN!!! God I love this sport

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 12/23/12 08:25 PM

Yes almost 30-40% of the time bad judgeing..Seems like half the time sometimes..Sometimes they are Pre Influnced judges and also judges that are gooing with thier heart or who they rootin for..But yea i love boxing also and have a likeing for mma.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 12/24/12 12:38 AM

what was adamek doing at over 220 pounds? he started his career at light heavy, and seemingly moved up to heavyweight to get some bigger paydays. i'm no fighter, but combat sports are one of my passions, so take this for what its worth. as a smaller heavyweight, his advantages are speed and mobility. weight has a negative effect on this, and trying to bulk up or just being too lazy to cut doesn't end well. he looked slow and sluggish, far from ideal.

as for the judging,i didn't score it but i thought cunningham clearly won. sad to say, but there have been far worse robberies as of late. my solution would be in the case of these controversial decisions, the judges should be made to explain why they scored certain rounds for certain fighters, and further education should be required. if the same judges (dalby shirley comes to mind) make the same bad calls, they should be suspended at the very least.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 12/24/12 01:05 AM

I caught the replay of Manny vs. Marquez last night. Geez, what a brawl! I wondered how Manny left the ring alive.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 12/24/12 01:52 AM

Yea i cant wait to catch that reply..Heard Manny flored in 3rd also? Also heard Manny almost had him the rd before..Until he caught a short choppy right the next rd..i seen two Philly guys fight about the same time in N Philly at Temple Univ..Hunter and a heavyweight Bryant Jennings.. my man Adamek better watch out for Jennings a real heavyweight he aint got that slow back bulk/fat like Adamek now..Excuse me for saying..And he looked 50x better 20lbs lighter just like my man said earlier

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 12/24/12 02:15 AM

Yes you said it perfectly..I was wondering what he was thinking..He ougt of known how he was built..And it took from hand speed and even worse slow foot movement..Now it takes too long to get into position an throw..And if built like that get on the INside..And put your head on your opponets chest and chop away..But Hats off to Uss Cunninghan built like freakin Holyfield..He will get his just due oneday

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 12/24/12 02:27 AM

boxing was the first sport i fell in love with, but all the bullshit it has really worn thin with me. i was always a big fan of the ufc, since around 1995 when i was first introduced to royce gracie. in the last decade i have become a much bigger fan of mma for the simple reason of having to deal with a ton less crap. there are still judging problems, but there is also the added benefit of having 1 champion per weight class, a real noble concept wink

its also nice to see the best fight the best in their primes, another ball that boxing has dropped. its great when you shell out $50+ for a ppv to have more than 1 meaningful fight on the card, although boxing has caught up a little bit in recent years. it does help mma tremendously having one dominant brand, the ufc, as opposed to the fragmented boxing landscape though.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 12/24/12 02:59 AM

I hear yea there seems like Dana White knows how to run it without people leaving the arena scratching thier head..And not a WBO IBf WBC WWF belt..Dana makes #1 fight #2 not #7-8or9..And more chance of something more deveststing like a german suplex,crazy arm bar out of kno where.. And almost all of the guys now have a high velocity in thier kicks..Cool gotta love that..And now i just go to local bar like fox and hound and now no more 10 $ cover charge..OK...Beats 50$

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 12/24/12 03:10 AM

Originally Posted By: marine
I hear yea there seems like Dana White knows how to run it without people leaving the arena scratching thier head..And not a WBO IBf WBC WWF belt..Dana makes #1 fight #2 not #7-8or9..And more chance of something more deveststing like a german suplex,crazy arm bar out of kno where.. And almost all of the guys now have a high velocity in thier kicks..Cool gotta love that..And now i just go to local bar like fox and hound and now no more 10 $ cover charge..OK...Beats 50$
dana really is a great promoter. i've been to ufc 66, 67,and 84, and a very telling sign that they are doing something right is the fact that the arena is at least half full, usually more, by the time the first fight has started. at a major boxing event it usually close to empty. with all that said, i've also had the pleasure of being at ward/gatti #1 and 2, and #1 was the best fight ever imo! i have also seen james toney vs hasim rahman #1 live, as well as 1/2 dozen friday night fights in AC.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 12/24/12 06:04 AM

Originally Posted By: Five_Felonies
boxing was the first sport i fell in love with, but all the bullshit it has really worn thin with me. i was always a big fan of the ufc, since around 1995 when i was first introduced to royce gracie. in the last decade i have become a much bigger fan of mma for the simple reason of having to deal with a ton less crap. there are still judging problems, but there is also the added benefit of having 1 champion per weight class, a real noble concept wink

its also nice to see the best fight the best in their primes, another ball that boxing has dropped. its great when you shell out $50+ for a ppv to have more than 1 meaningful fight on the card, although boxing has caught up a little bit in recent years. it does help mma tremendously having one dominant brand, the ufc, as opposed to the fragmented boxing landscape though.

The only way I think to save Boxing would be for some ridiculously rich person who cares about the sport to buy up every boxer so no more Top Rank or Golden Boy. That way we could start again and do what the UFC does where it's one organization and one belt per class etc. Fuck these stupid WBC, IBF etc organizations there a joke! I only ever look at Ring Magazine's ratings anyhow.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 12/26/12 05:41 PM

A few years ago, I read an insightful article on why Russians dominate heavyweight boxing. Obvious answer is that they're hungrier than American boxers. But, why?

Seems that every American teenager who's physically big and reasonably athletic is being steered into baseball, hockey and other sports that previously didn't require you to be big. Reason: people want records to be broken, and big guys = new records. Explains why steroid use is rampant. Also explains why they don't go into boxing. Only the champs and a few top contenders make any money; and even the top guys get the piss beaten out of them. But, you don't have to be an absolute top guy to play on a team; you can have a long career and make plenty of money, and you can retire with your brains intact.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 12/26/12 06:22 PM

That's it Turnbull, lets be real, African-Americans often dominate at whatever sport they chose too, like NBA NFL etc, it used to be that many chose Boxing, and we had some of the greatest champs of all time, now however most chose NBA, NFL etc. I don't blame them at all, I love boxing but generally its a sport that fucks you over, most die broke and obviously the physical problems a career entails.
I hate that America is becoming less and less a serious player in boxing, we need America for the industry. Especially Heavy Weights. Russians and other Europeans are often taught to fight in a style that is not crowd-pleasing at all!

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 12/26/12 08:16 PM

one of the reasons the russian/eastern block countries have so much talent is they still have alot of the old soviet style state-run training facilities, lots of youth train boxing there. kinda similar to how the amatuer wrestling system is in america, with any decent sized high school having a wrestling program. the same can be said for cuba, as for a small country they are very dominant in amatuer competition, although less so in the pro ranks, although they still have a number of solid prospects/contenders. again, they have a very structured, state run boxing program.

we don't have that in the us, and like has been mentioned, many top athletes are drawn to other top sports. today, a huge % of people interested in combat sports choose mma, as it has without a doubt become the #1 combat sport in north america, and for good reason. its a much more exciting and dynamic sport imo, and the level of boxing/striking has greatly improved over the years thanks to the influx of young people. if boxing doesn't get its act together soon, its doomed to be nothing more than a sideshow, at least here in north america!

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 12/26/12 09:55 PM

National culture is another factor. All the lighter weight classes, through welter, are dominated by Hispanics, especially Mexicans. Hispanics are far more likely to be boxing fans than others in North America. And they like fighters with heart--the Mexicans, in particular, never give up.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 12/27/12 09:59 AM

Mostly Right..Yes they ere still military 101 and serious Fu%&n people..The Russians came to Camp Lejeune to train with us in 1999..They were in top notch physical condition..and they spoke english surpriseingly well for young kids..And it is
Yes easier to play basktball baseball n even football..Boxing will have an impact on lungs and make you 20X more tired than football..Now some impacts with those helmits are real tough..Now for steroids i dont think it is that rampit bepends which sport also..Alot of football players are 6'3 -6'6'' people
who LIFT weights..they do it from 15-21 5-6 days a week ..If you did that like that people would start questioning you also...Then at 22-30n the nfl you gget lobster and steak probally college too..

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 12/31/12 11:43 AM

Few British boys to keep an eye on this year....David Price and Tyson Fury in the heavies, hopefully they will fight each other. Big, brawling light heavy Tony Bellew to get a shot (Cleverly is already a champ). George Groves to continue making progress at super-middle. Kell Brook fights Devon Alexander in Detroit and has a good chance i reckon and top Scottish light-weight Ricky Burns could get a go at Adrien Broner, which would be a classic!!

Honourable mentions to David Haye, Carl Froch and Amir Khan who will all have big fights as well. Not forgetting Murray, Macklin and Barker in the middles(plus the up and coming Billy Joe Saunders) and down the weights peel an eye for Scott Quigg, Joe Murray and Jamie McDonnell.

And last but not least, several of the Olympians could go pro...and a big punching London kid called Frank Buglioni who is already causing a stir. He goes at either light heavy or super-middle!!

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 01/01/13 04:03 AM

Yogi do you have this problem as well, I just do not like any British boxers atm!!! David Haye: Have not forgiven him for his pathetic effort against Klitschko. Amir Khan: Got too cocky, irritates me at times. Tyson Fury: Basically an average fighter, slow and out of shape, would get destroyed if there were any good HWs.
Only guy I like is Froch. God I miss the Hatton days!

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 01/01/13 04:10 AM

i miss "lightning" lee murray, not a traditional boxer, but hey, he beat the shit out of tito ortiz in the pub!!! as far as british boxers go, can't get much better than froch or haye atm!
Posted By: Beanshooter

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 01/01/13 04:20 AM

Interesting story regarding Lightning Lee Murray,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Murray

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 01/01/13 01:30 PM

Nicky, i like the Scousers Price and Bellew, ggod lads and fairly decent fighters.

Ricky Burns also seems a decent, humble type.

I know what you mean though...however maybe we havn't seen the end of Ricky Hatton, i would not be surprised to see him in the ring again!

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 01/02/13 03:32 AM

Hey Yogi thanks for tellin us who to keep an eye on when comes to british/Euro boxers..They always have a real nice guy in a weight class or two,always through out the years..And some pretty tough Journeymen also that you aint gonna hear about over here unless they are top class..Especially here in philly or the Nj Ny area we got too many guys fighting.. I believe you remember these guys Joe Calzaghe,LennoX,Lloyd Honeyghm and yea i remember that Frank Bruno he was built like Holyfield...Too bad Tyson Existed for him..But i like that name Frank Buglioni and he is 175ish.. i got to keep an eye on him..

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 01/02/13 04:13 PM

You a Philly boy Marine?? Some legendary tough fighters from there for sure.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 01/06/13 09:56 PM

Yes from the roxbrough area.. About 5-7 miles west of North part of philadelphia.. Alot of gyms in the area even west and south phlly..Philly is known for Fighting N Basktball..Even all the suburbs have a take kwon do in every other shopping center..Yes alot of amazeing fighters from the area {phillyboxinghistory DOT com} is a great site to check out all the fighters..And they dont even have the 30-40 pros from philly that are still now fighting,even listed yet..

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 01/15/13 10:54 AM

Froch and Kessler close to a re-match, should be another awesome scrap!

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 01/22/13 10:43 AM

Steve Collins coming out of retirement at 48 years old in order to fight Roy Jones Jr??????

Do me a favour!!!!!!
Posted By: RichieAnimal

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 01/29/13 11:11 PM

April 19 & 20 at the Barckley center in Brooklyn golden gloves tickets to be announced. I would not mind seeing those elimations.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 02/14/13 05:11 PM

6’5, 258lb former Minnesota Vikings defensive end Ray Edwards moved to 3-0 with 2 KOs after a 29 second KO of late sub Nick Capes (0-4) on Saturday night at the Red River Valley Fairgrounds in West Fargo, North Dakota. However Capes, who has been KO’d in the first round of all his pro bouts, has now been suspended by the North Dakota Combative Sports Commission for taking a dive.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 02/14/13 10:52 PM

this, along with the recent controversy with regards to the frans botha fight, are sadly just "another black eye for boxing!" you don't see this kind of shit in any other big professional sport, and it really is a shame! like teddy atlas always says, "we need a national commission, dammit!"

in the botha fight, it was originally supposed to be a 12 rounder, but botha was coming on strong the last few rounds, and had local favorite sonny bill williams out on his feet at the end of round 10, so the fight was declared over. the fight was for some bogus belt, but that means it had to have been a 12 rounder seeing as how there are no 10 round title fights, regardless of how worthless the belt in question is. after the fight, botha has allegedly tested positive for numerous banned substances, and its now being reported that he was offered $150,000 to throw the fight, which he declined, what a mess rolleyes

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 02/15/13 08:36 AM

How old must Botha be now??

I remember Lennox Lewis busting him up at least ten years ago!!

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 02/18/13 01:49 PM

He may be flash and cocky, but Adrien Broner looked the part on Saturday when he demolished stumpy but durable Welshman Gavin Rees. He wants to fight Scotsman Ricky Burns next, a much tougher fight for him cos Burns is red hot himself lately.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 02/23/13 12:49 AM

I think most guys know adrien has the fastest offensive moves and hands arournd..he isnt that tall at 5'7'' either broner.. I missed it but cant wait to see it, broner will champ soon and in time will meet big names and maybe beat floyd ..

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 02/23/13 12:58 AM

i kinda agree with the national commission but i like the fact every state has its own rules.. 3 knock down on ond rd in some states its over... standing 8's and few other things..But the judgeing is half paid off and homegrown biased.....Now judges should be all former pros or amatures lookin for some side job at nite..Former fighers know what to look for.. and probally dont care who wins or loses in the fight..i would hope if they wanna keep job and move to biger fights and pay..

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 02/25/13 09:58 AM

British heavy hopeful David Price got knocked out by Tony Thompson on Saturday night. Big setback for him!

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 02/25/13 02:32 PM

Average HW both him and Fury are nothing, Fury is a tub of lard!

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 02/25/13 02:37 PM

tyson fury is nothing more than a modern joke heavyweight fighter. this can actually had the balls to call out ufc heavyweight champion cain valasquez recently. even if it was fought in a boxing ring, fury would get beat down. if it was in the cage, it would be nothing short of a bloodbath.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 02/26/13 02:21 PM

Fury off to the US next to fight former Cruiserweight Steve Cunningham.
Posted By: fathersson

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 02/26/13 04:04 PM

tyson fury is nothing more than a modern joke heavyweight fighter. this can actually had the balls to call out ufc heavyweight champion cain valasquez recently. even if it was fought in a boxing ring, fury would get beat down. if it was in the cage, it would be nothing short of a bloodbath.

Knocked down by that mystery punch! lol
Posted By: vinnietoothpicks26

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 04/20/13 07:57 PM

Trout v. Canelo. This fight was anywhere but texas I would take trout, but that corrupt state makes me nervous.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 04/21/13 05:02 PM

Excellent fight! Trout was the better ring strategist, but Alvarez outpunched him. Alvarez got the decision, but I thought it was closer than the judges had it.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 04/22/13 04:22 PM

Any US chaps happen to see Tyson Fury make his US bow on Saturday. He won against ancient Cruiserweight Steve Cunningham. After the fight he sang an Irish sea shanty in the ring to the crowd. Slightly deranged i think, but always entertaining smile

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 04/23/13 09:25 PM

Any US chaps happen to see Tyson Fury make his US bow on Saturday. He won against ancient Cruiserweight Steve Cunningham. After the fight he sang an Irish sea shanty in the ring to the crowd. Slightly deranged i think, but always entertaining smile

it was a good fight, and fury is entertaining, but lets not kid ourselves, the weight had almost everything to do with him winning that fight. it was painfully obvious that from about the 5th round onward, that tyson was just too big and too heavy. i'm not trying to just totally shit on the guy, because he does have a certain amount of skill, but my mind asks me this question: how long would he have lasted against lennox lewis? i think it all depends on how motivated lewis would be, but i could see him dispatching fury anytime he felt like it. its been beaten to death, but the heavyweight division is shitte(thats how you wankers say shit, right? lol ) , and all of the decent combat sports athletes have begun making their way over to MMA!

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 04/24/13 01:51 PM

Good points FF, Fury does have limits, he wide open to the right hand, but i do enjoy him, he lets his mouth go and he can punch a bit. He would not have lasted 2 rounds with Lewis though smile

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 04/27/13 07:59 PM

some good boxing and mma on tonight! zab judah is taking on danny garcia in a jr welterweight title fight, should be a very even match. i'm giving the edge to judah early due to his speed, power and explosiveness, but the heart and toughness of garcia should serve him well late. if i had to pick, i would go with garcia by decision or possibly late tko, but i wouldn't be surprised at all to see judah win by either ko or decision. this is the kind of relevant, evenly matched fight that boxing needs. hopefully it lives up to that!

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 04/27/13 08:08 PM

I would put my money on Garcia.

Over here we have Amir Khan fighting Julio Diaz, but on the undercard be good to see vaunted KO mercahnt from the US, Deontay Wilder fight the awful Audley Harrison!!!

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 05/14/13 09:22 AM

Anybody see Ricky Burns dodge a bullet on Saturday night? The Scottish lightweight champ was in against Puerto Rican puncher Jose Gonzales and for me lost all the first 6 rounds, in the 7th Gonzales really went for it but Burns hung tough and fired back. Gonzales then looked spent and 2 rounds later quit, blaming a broken hand!!!

Burns is one of my favourites but this was a bit of a let off for him, although he may well have stopped the kid late on. As for Gonzales??? He quit!!!! Even if he did break his paw, he was so far ahead he could have fought one handed and still won. Burns out toughed him pure and simple!!

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 05/14/13 04:34 PM

Mayweather looked very sharp against Guerrero, who was game and hung tough to the very end.

Arriola looked fat, out of shape and atrocious in his last outing.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 05/15/13 09:16 AM

TB, i think Arreola has made a career staple out of being fat and atrocious, has he not??
Posted By: MaryCas

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 05/16/13 11:33 AM

Originally Posted By: Turnbull
Mayweather looked very sharp against Guerrero, who was game and hung tough to the very end.

I just heard that Mayweather is no. 1 athlete for income...$90 mil and none from endorsements! uhwhat

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 05/17/13 01:19 PM

Originally Posted By: MaryCas

I just heard that Mayweather is no. 1 athlete for income...$90 mil and none from endorsements! uhwhat

They don't call him "Money" for nothing.....

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 05/27/13 09:54 PM

Crunching re-match between Kessler and Froch. Froch banging on about going against Ward but i would like to see him go against Kessler a third time.
Posted By: dontomasso

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 05/28/13 06:08 PM

Used to be a huge fan, but don't really follow it anymore. I think I stopped when there were several "world champions" in the various weight classes. It became too much like wrestling. Also I hate that "Lets get ready to rumble" guy.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 05/29/13 08:54 AM

Originally Posted By: dontomasso
Used to be a huge fan, but don't really follow it anymore. I think I stopped when there were several "world champions" in the various weight classes. It became too much like wrestling. Also I hate that "Lets get ready to rumble" guy.

I know what you mean, it isn't the same sport it was ten, or even twenty years ago, but there are still some great fighters about. Always loved boxing!!

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 05/30/13 01:38 AM

Originally Posted By: dontomasso

Everything you said is true, dt. But, there are some terrific fighters in the below-middleweight classes, especially the Mexicans, who are just tough as nails and fishooks.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 05/30/13 11:34 AM

I read today that there's a planned fight between Vladimir Klitschko and Aleksandr Povetkin on 5th Octoboer. I really hope it does happen.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 06/10/13 09:35 AM

I see Bad Chad Dawson got wiped out in the first round on Saturday. Methinks his bubble has burst and he is on the slippery slope to Palookaville!!!!

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 08/13/13 05:51 PM

HSA, i'm posting in this thread now.

In his pre-1968 prime Ali to me was the man. He pretty much had it all. A in his prime Joe Louis vs a in his prime Ali would of been a GREAT fight. Could of gone either way.

Back in the 70's there was a computer simulation match between Marciano and Ali and it said Marciano would of won. I think that was a total joke and in his prime Ali would of done a real number on Marciano. He would of been dancing around the rock nailing him with combinations and i think would of KO'd Marciano in around the 10th or so round.

Opinions?
Posted By: LittleMan

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 08/13/13 07:14 PM

Giancarlo,

In terms of mythical matchups, Rocky would struggle against other top heavyweights, mostly because he wasn't a heavyweight himself. I believe he fought at 188 lbs- a cruiserweight in today's world.

He gave up a lot in height and weight....Rocky even had a shorter reach than Floyd Mayweather. He would have given up 60 lbs and 6 inches in weight/height to Lennox and the Klitchko brothers in their primes.

Looking at his own won/loss record, I believe a prime Marciano would have lost to a prime Archie Moore, Joe Walcott, and Joe Louis. I believe Ali would have beaten Marciano and my speculation is that Vegas would have Ali as a huge betting favorite.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 08/13/13 07:37 PM

Absolutely LittleMan, i agree about Marciano. Lets be honest about it, he gets overhyped because he was a white italian. If he was a black fighter he wouldn't be ranked among the top guys like he is.

He was real small for a heavyweight. Sluggers like Ernie Shavers or Foreman and even Sonny Liston would of ko'd the rock IMO. Ali would of danced around him peppering the rock with shots before going for the kill late in the fight.

And Joe Louis in his prime i think would of dismantled Marciano. Same with Larry Holmes who doesn't get the respect i think he deserves.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 08/13/13 07:43 PM

Originally Posted By: LittleMan

He gave up a lot in height and weight....Rocky even had a shorter reach than Floyd Mayweather. He would have given up 60 lbs and 6 inches in weight/height to Lennox and the Klitchko brothers in their primes.

Archie Moore, Walcott, Joe louis, & Ezzard Charles all had greater reach than Mayweather, yet Rocky beat 'em all.

Quote:

Looking at his own won/loss record,

??.. He was undefeated.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 08/13/13 07:45 PM

Ali in a show of humility says Rocky was better than Frazier, but believes he would of won...

http://youtu.be/GDaw2QFC1Qg

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 08/13/13 07:52 PM

I know Marciano was undefeated, but to me that only means so much considering who he fought and all the top name guys he fought were far from their prime and pretty much washed up by the time the rock fought them. Marciano would never of become the champion in the 70's. Multiple guys would of beaten him in my opinion.

Marciano and Frazier would of been a real good fight to see. Two smaller heavyweights and both were sluggers.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 08/13/13 07:56 PM

I don't mean to sound like i'm degrading Marciano. He fought who was around at the time. No fault of his that the shape of the heavyweight division when he was the champ wasn't that impressive.

It just drives me crazy when some guys say he was the best fighter ever or even among the top few. I just don't think he really was.

But once again it's just my opinion.....and you know what they say about opinions. lol

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 08/13/13 08:08 PM

the people who claim marciano was the greatest are likely the same dopes who will stand by the claim that babe ruth was one of the best. the bottom line is that athletes, regardless of what sport, get better every generation. there are a few exceptions, but it almost always holds true, so it gets real tricky when comparing guys from different eras! its hard to pick the best heavyweight, but i really believe that had cus d'amato not died so early in his career, that he would have been able to keep tysons head in the game and would allow him to utilize the most amazing skillset of any heavyweight fighter in history to its full potential. fuck the heavyweights though, this was the 1st fight that i ever saw live, a real fucking treat! cool

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 08/13/13 09:20 PM

Loved watching Gatti fight on HBO. A few real brutal fights.

Very true Five Felonies about trying to compare fighters from different eras.

You know who was a real wildman but WAY before our time was Jack Johnson. I watched a really good show on him and pretty much all white people hated him because i think he was the first black champion and he went out with white women but he just didn't care. Real good show.....that guy was something else. He was a real good fighter too. The fights were much longer back then and sometimes they fought until one guy couldn't go on any longer. In his prime he used to beat just about everyone.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 08/13/13 09:46 PM

The Jack Johnson special was called, "Unforgiveable Blackness", and was a great program. Here's part 1 on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-y7bdeRDLI

Jack Johnson was a fascinating boxer who had more pressure than anyone else, imo. He's my favorite fighter from before my generation.

He was the ultimate villain or underdog, depending on one's point of view. When he won a title match against a white man, dozens of black people were lynched. How many athletes can deal with the pressure of their success causing deaths and race riots? In addition, the racist press was openly seeking a great white hope to defeat him.

Plus, he had to contend with his own government unfairly coming after him for bigoted reasons. Nailing him with the Mann Act was a farce....all because he dated white women and KO'ed white men. Even Ali didn't have to deal with this much.

I'm hoping that he receives his well deserved pardon...

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 08/13/13 09:49 PM

Thanks LittleMan i was actually going to see if i could find that after i mentioned it in my post. cool

Johnson definitely liked the white girls and back then that really created much anger and hatred towards him. Then add to that hatred the fact that he was KOing all the top white fighters like you said and the result was pretty brutal for him. But he just didn't care.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 08/13/13 10:02 PM

Giancarlo i don't think being the 9th or 10th greatest HW is an insult earlier, i was responding to sgwaue saying he was top 5 no doubt.

I've also always said Marciano was highly overrated too, i've actually said so on this site before. Rocky's biggest wins were against a washed up Louis,Walcott,Moore and Charles. He also should've lost the decision against Ronald La Starza, and was champ in probably the weakest ever HW division.

Fighters i think were definitely better than the both of them:

1.Ali
2.Louis
3.Holmes
4.Foreman
5.Holyfield
6.Liston
7.Lewis
8.Tyson
9.Jack Johnson

I also think arguments could me mad for Ezzard Charles and Floyd Patterson. The fighter i find really hard to rank is Jack Dempsey, because it's well know he avoided the top black fighters especially Sam Langford.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 08/13/13 10:20 PM

It's a real shame what has become of boxing. These days it seems people rather watch the MMA stuff which i enjoy too. But i miss the old rivalries and great fights and fighters i grew up watching. Theres still a good fight every once in awhile but to me it's nothing like it used to be.

As a kid there was no cable tv so i used to listed on the radio and they would have a reporter watching the fight at one of the closed circuit locations and the guy would come out in between rounds and update what was happening. The Foreman-Ali fight he's coming out round after round saying how Foreman was just beating on Ali and then i think it was the 8th round the guy couldn't even talk and he just started blurting out Ali knocked him out! Ali knocked him out! Thats all he kept saying. It was really late at night but i was a huge Ali fan as a kid and i'm jumping up and down on my bed just yelling Ali ! Ali! lol! My mother came in screaming at me and then my dad came in and asked what the hell was going on and when i told him Ali just KO'd Big George he couldn't believe it and told my mom to shut up so we could listen to what the guy on the radio was saying. One of my favorite sports moments of all time is when Ali took Big George out that day.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 08/13/13 10:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Giancarlo
It's a real shame what has become of boxing. These days it seems people rather watch the MMA stuff which i enjoy too. But i miss the old rivalries and great fights and fighters i grew up watching. Theres still a good fight every once in awhile but to me it's nothing like it used to be.

As a kid there was no cable tv so i used to listed on the radio and they would have a reporter watching the fight at one of the closed circuit locations and the guy would come out in between rounds and update what was happening. The Foreman-Ali fight he's coming out round after round saying how Foreman was just beating on Ali and then i think it was the 8th round the guy couldn't even talk and he just started blurting out Ali knocked him out! Ali knocked him out! Thats all he kept saying. It was really late at night but i was a huge Ali fan as a kid and i'm jumping up and down on my bed just yelling Ali ! Ali! lol! My mother came in screaming at me and then my dad came in and asked what the hell was going on and when i told him Ali just KO'd Big George he couldn't believe it and told my mom to shut up so we could listen to what the guy on the radio was saying. One of my favorite sports moments of all time is when Ali took Big George out that day.

Agreed, there's too many different world titles now, and most fighters are looking to hang in for 12 rounds for the decision for barely punching the other guy.

That Ali-Foreman fight was amazing you could tell he was no longer in his prime but he still found a way to beat one of the hardest ever punchers. There's a sad part to that fight though because it must have been one of the main factors in his health prolems nowadays.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 08/13/13 11:28 PM

There is no contest. Boxing is way better than MMA. If you like MMA more than boxing than you werent a boxing fan to begin with. The fights that are on Showtime these days are very entertaining. Forget the belts, I just watch the fights.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 08/14/13 12:11 AM

Vinnie that MMA shit has become huge whether we like it or not. Never said it was better then boxing just that i'll watch it when fighters i like are on. I like stand up more then i like the ground game stuff but that shit really has caught on with the younger guys.

Im a boxing guy all my life. Grew up in a great era (at least i think so)when i think boxing was at it's peak. Duran, Leonard, Hearns, Hagler,Chavez etc etc. Just some great fighters that put on great fights. And for me the 70's with the heavyweights were my favorite time as a fan. Just my take on it, everyone is free to think what they want.
Posted By: jasonSP

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 08/14/13 12:16 AM

the style of the old fighters was so awsome!

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 08/14/13 12:18 AM

That Ali-Foreman fight was amazing you could tell he was no longer in his prime but he still found a way to beat one of the hardest ever punchers. There's a sad part to that fight though because it must have been one of the main factors in his health prolems nowadays.

Always thought Ali should of retired right after that fight. He took a real beating those last few years.

As an Ali fan i thought that was a great fight because everyone back then thought Foreman was going to bust Ali into pieces. Around a week after the fight i finally saw the video of it. If you remember back then they would play the fight around a week later on the Wide World of Sports with Howard Cosell. So if you weren't able to get to one of the closed circuit places showing a fight they usually had all the big fights on Wide World of Sports about a week or 2 after the fight. Back then there really wasn't cable tv like we have today so our options were limited.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 08/14/13 12:38 AM

The interesting part of Rocky Marciano's legacy is simply this.....what if he indeed had one loss? Then his record would be 49-1. Imo, that one loss would have dropped him way down the all time ranks. Contrastly, when Ali, Foreman, Holmes, Frazier, Tyson, and Louis lost a fight at the end of their careers, it didn't damage their legacies very much.

Camarel, I like your top ten list. I especially like that you gave both Holmes and Foreman their proper credit as I believe they both are underrated when discussing the all time greats.

However, I'd have Lennox Lewis higher on the list as he was the top heavyweight of his generation. Tyson would be left off as his greatest win was against a small Michael Spinks. Both Klitchko brothers make my list. I think that large, tall, athletic heavyweights have a big advantage over shorter opponents 40-60 pounds lighter.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 08/14/13 01:01 AM

The interesting part of Rocky Marciano's legacy is simply this.....what if he indeed had one loss? Then his record would be 49-1. Imo, that one loss would have dropped him way down the all time ranks. Contrastly, when Ali, Foreman, Holmes, Frazier, Tyson, and Louis lost a fight at the end of their careers, it didn't damage their legacies very much.

Camarel, I like your top ten list. I especially like that you gave both Holmes and Foreman their proper credit as I believe they both are underrated when discussing the all time greats.

However, I'd have Lennox Lewis higher on the list as he was the top heavyweight of his generation. Tyson would be left off as his greatest win was against a small Michael Spinks. Both Klitchko brothers make my list. I think that large, tall, athletic heavyweights have a big advantage over shorter opponents 40-60 pounds lighter.

We'll have to agree to disagree about Mike, i believe the 80's Tyson could have bet just about anyone. As well as his well documented power he had amazing speed and reflexes after the Douglas fight he was never really the same though. Also i'd say Berbick, "bonecrusher" Smith, Tucker, Tubbs and Bruno were all tough competition. And even though he was a shadow of his former self Holmes was still a good HW, i totally agree that a prime Holmes would;ve annihilated Tyson though.

I admit i have a bias against the Klitschko brothers and just about any HW of this generation. Just because their brand of boxing is so boring. I'll give it to them though Wlad is by far the best HW of this generation and Vitali has one of the best chins i've ever seen.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 08/14/13 01:05 AM

Also the fight Marciano should've lost imo was against La Starza, when he was 27 and arguably in his prime.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 08/14/13 01:13 AM

Always thought Ali should of retired right after that fight. He took a real beating those last few years.

As an Ali fan i thought that was a great fight because everyone back then thought Foreman was going to bust Ali into pieces. Around a week after the fight i finally saw the video of it. If you remember back then they would play the fight around a week later on the Wide World of Sports with Howard Cosell. So if you weren't able to get to one of the closed circuit places showing a fight they usually had all the big fights on Wide World of Sports about a week or 2 after the fight. Back then there really wasn't cable tv like we have today so our options were limited.

The amazing thing about Ali is after his win against Foreman he still went onto beat soe of the best HW'S Frazier, Norton, Spinks and another one of the hardest ever punchers Earnie Shavers. It's crazy to think what would've happened if he hadn't missed those 4 years during his prime.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 08/14/13 01:20 AM

Tyson really went off the rails after he became champ. A real shame, going to prison and all the bullshit that went on around him. Just total insanity. Then with Don King taking him over and robbing him blind. The insanity with his marriage to Robin Givens and that mother of hers. Just one thing after another, i'm kind of surprised he lasted as long as he did to tell you the truth. He was a devastating puncher though. Guys were scared to death of him and some were actually shaking when they entered the ring to fight him. I think a real big slugger like Foreman might of been able to handle Mike but i'm just speculating on that. A young Larry Holmes - Tyson fight would of been great. It probably would of been like the Ali-Frazier fights back in the 70's.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 08/14/13 01:27 AM

Tyson really went off the rails after he became champ. A real shame, going to prison and all the bullshit that went on around him. Just total insanity. Then with Don King taking him over and robbing him blind. The insanity with his marriage to Robin Givens and that mother of hers. Just one thing after another, i'm kind of surprised he lasted as long as he did to tell you the truth. He was a devastating puncher though. Guys were scared to death of him and some were actually shaking when they entered the ring to fight him. I think a real big slugger like Foreman might of been able to handle Mike but i'm just speculating on that. A young Larry Holmes - Tyson fight would of been great. It probably would of been like the Ali-Frazier fights back in the 70's.

I personally don't think a Holmes-Tyson fight would last too long. Holmes had a similar reach to Lewis he also had more power and speed imo, and an even more devastating left jab. It's certainly an interesting hypothetical though.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 08/14/13 01:30 AM

The amazing thing about Ali is after his win against Foreman he still went onto beat soe of the best HW'S Frazier, Norton, Spinks and another one of the hardest ever punchers Earnie Shavers. It's crazy to think what would've happened if he hadn't missed those 4 years during his prime.

Thats the point i always try to make when i talk about Ali. To me the pre 68 Ali was at his ultimate prime and just a truly skilled boxer. When he came back a few years later his legs were gone. He couldn't move like he used to. The best years of his career would of been during those years he was suspended. You watch those last few fight s of his before they stripped him of the title and i think he was just amazing.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 08/14/13 01:37 AM

It's certainly an interesting hypothetical though.

Those hypothetical fights are the best lol! The matchups that never happened. But i love thinking and talking about them.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 08/14/13 01:42 AM

Boxing is the best sport. Did you see Soto Karass Berto? Did you see Bradley Provodnikov? Every month there is a great fight on Tv.
Anyways, i don't really agree with the heavyweight hypos because earlier eras would have trouble agaisnt hte current era. Come on. Marciano 5-10 Paisan against 6-7 Klitchko? You really think Rock had a shot?
The hypos that make sense to me are the lower weights. Welter, middle. Pryor Pac man?
ARguello Mayweather at 140?
Think about that.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 08/14/13 02:02 AM

Vinnie is that for me? I pretty much said what i thought about Marciano. Highly over rated. I think multiple guys i've seen over the years would of have beaten him.

A great fight is a great fight no matter when it was fought. Now or years ago.

It's all good Vinnie....i appreciate your point of views. Always good to shoot the shit with another boxing fan.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 08/14/13 03:40 AM

Na i was just speaking generally. I was saying comparing heavyweights from other eras doesnt work, because of size. If a 6-1 195 Joe Louis fought a 6-7 260 Klitchko he'd have no shot.
I think its more interesting at the lower weights.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 08/14/13 03:46 AM

Originally Posted By: vinnietoothpicks26

Anyways, i don't really agree with the heavyweight hypos because earlier eras would have trouble agaisnt hte current era. Come on. Marciano 5-10 Paisan against 6-7 Klitchko? You really think Rock had a shot?

Maybe not, but that size is not exactly new. Primo Carnera was just under 6-6 with a longer reach than Klitchko, but still lost to Joe Louis. What gets me is some people will say you can't compare boxing eras and pooh-pooh someone like Marciano, but afterward will say Joe Louis was one of the greatest of all time, undermining their own logic. Floyd Mayweather is currently 36, close to the same age as Louis (age 37) lost to Marciano, but still considered at the top of his game.

Marciano beat Charles, Walcott and La Starza two times each, but I guess that isn't good enough... lol. I don't think he was the best, but better than what some people give him credit for.

I still think Tyson in his prime (with Kevin Rooney as trainer) would beat just about anyone.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 08/14/13 04:12 AM

Originally Posted By: ht2

Maybe not, but that size is not exactly new. Primo Carnera was just under 6-6 with a longer reach than Klitchko, but still lost to Joe Louis. What gets me is some people will say you can't compare boxing eras and pooh-pooh someone like Marciano, but afterward will say Joe Louis was one of the greatest of all time, undermining their own logic. Floyd Mayweather is currently 36, close to the same Louis (age 37) lost to Marciano, but still considered at the top of his game.

Marciano beat Charles, Walcott and La Starza two times each, but I guess that isn't good enough... lol. I don't think he was the best, but better than what some people give him credit for.

I still think Tyson in his prime (with Kevin Rooney as trainer) would beat just about anyone.

Marciano was a great HW, i'd probably have him no.10 all time. Noone can say that Louis wasn't completely past it while Marciano was at his peak though. Jersey Joe had lost 7 of his 17 previous fights before fighting Marciano, not exactly prime opposition if you ask me. Moore was a great fighter but was a natural light heavyweight imo and was also a lot older than Marciano, but i give Rocky those 2 fights.

As i have already stated i believe La Starza should've won the first ffight when both were undefeated. Charles was also a natural LH, who had started his career at middleweight. His 2 victories against Ezzard were imo the best of his career. The only thing aout Charles was that he had gotten alot less aggresive after he killed that guy.

I also don't think Floyd is as good as he ever was imo his peak was from the late 90s until the mid 2000's. No argument from me about the 80's Tyson.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 08/14/13 04:28 AM

Are you serious? Jersey Joe was 38 and 39 when he fought The Rock. It was the last fight of Joe Louis career or close to it. He was broke and owed a fortune so he took the fight.

Seriously i don't want to bad mouth Marciano but c'mon now. Who took a punch better then Ali? Ali would of been dancing circles around Marciano. Liston would of ko'd him same with Foreman, Shavers and all those HUGE sluggers. I think Holmes would of beaten him and Lennox Lewis probably too. You know those big guys with the great jabs. Tyson i think would of KO'd Rocky too.

I'm italian and i'm glad Marciano went undefeated but i just don't think he was as good as his record would seem to make him.

But if you think he was.. then great. It's just our opinions. Thats why we're all fans.

I definitely don't mean to insult Marciano, he fought everyone that was around at the time.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 08/14/13 04:33 AM

You guys like the Klitchko's? I just get bored to death watching their fights. I don't know.

What do you guys think?

If you've never seen that documentary on Jack Jones "Unforgiveable Blackness", that LittleMan posted the link to you guys should check it out. I haven't seen it in awhile but i thought it was really good.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 08/14/13 05:34 AM

You guys like the Klitchko's? I just get bored to death watching their fights. I don't know.

What do you guys think?

If you've never seen that documentary on Jack Jones "Unforgiveable Blackness", that LittleMan posted the link to you guys should check it out. I haven't seen it in awhile but i thought it was really good.

I'm not really a fan of anyone in the HW for the same reason as you the fights are just 12 rounds of boredom most of the time. I enjoyed David Haye at CW i though his fights were entertaining, but he also got boring when he joined that division. Haye is fighting Tyson Fury next then wants to fight Vitali. Also Wlad is fighting Alaxander Povetkin in a unification fight, i've never seen Povetkin fight. Anyone who has?

The best divisions right now and for quite some time have been the Lightweight to Middleweight divisions imo.

I haven't seen that doc yet i'll watch it at some point though.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 08/14/13 05:57 PM

My issues with Tyson's legacy are that he never beat a top heavyweight, outside of Michael Spinks- who doesn't rank high on the all time rankings at heavyweight. Beating Larry Holmes out of retirement was similar to Holmes beating Ali. And he never came back to defeat any of the 5 guys that KO'ed him.

The young Tyson was my favorite boxer as he was destroying the division. Nobody was as exciting or intimidating when he fought against non elite opposition. He just wasn't as impressive against better fighters. A skilled, tall, strong fighter had a big advantage against Tyson. Buster Douglas was not in Tyson's league, but he had the big reach and height advantage. That's partially why Tyson had so much trouble with Lewis and Holyfield, and why the Klitchkos would have defeated him, imo.

I wish we saw the Klitchkos fight the elite heavyweights, they seemed to have barely missed the Lewis/Holyfield/Tyson/Bowe era. And the Vitali/Lennox fight was a good one.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 08/14/13 08:30 PM

Are you seriously comparing primo carnera to the klitchkos? Carnera would have gotten decapitated by the Klitchko's.
Like I said, I prefer to compare the lower weights. Did anyone ever see that fuckin maniac pryor fight in his prime? Before he blew it all on coke? I think in his prime the best 140 pounder of all time.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 08/14/13 10:33 PM

There is no contest. Boxing is way better than MMA. If you like MMA more than boxing than you werent a boxing fan to begin with. The fights that are on Showtime these days are very entertaining. Forget the belts, I just watch the fights.

there's no reason that you can't enjoy both, and boxing has a shitload to learn from mma. for starters, the whole "1 champion per weightclass" gimmick that the UFC has been using has been pretty successful. so has the "more than 1 meaningful fight per PPV" angle that they have exploited. i have been a fan of both sports for a while now, but the constant bullshit buffet that boxing serves up on a daily basis makes me sick! how the fuck is it even possible that the mayweather/pacquiao fight was unable to be put together? i guess 50 million+ just wasn't enough to satisfy the scumbag promoters and ecomaniac fighters.

for a while now mma fighters have been looked down upon for having mediocre boxing skills. those days are long gone and its getting better every year. fighters like junior dos santos, cain velasquez, fabio maldonano, anderson silva, geoges st peiere, nick diaz, gilbert melendez, frankie edgar, and jose aldo just to name a few all have very good technique, and would no doubt be able to make waves if they had chosen to solely pusue boxing on its own. lets also not forget that boxing, along with wrestling, muy thai, and jiu jitsu, make up the 4 core martial arts that comprise mma as we know it. boxing is the sport of punching, while mma is the sport of fighting, although they are both very exciting!

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 08/14/13 11:38 PM

Did anyone ever see that fuckin maniac pryor fight in his prime? Before he blew it all on coke? I think in his prime the best 140 pounder of all time.

The Hawk! Great fighter. I never saw him fight live in person but have seen a few of his fights on tv when he was fighting. The first one with Alexis Arguello was a classic. Too bad he had that scumbag Panama Lewis in his corner though. All that talk about mixing something into the water bottle took away from his great performance that day. Never was proven what Panama Lewis did that fight but he's a proven cheater and thankfully banned from boxing.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 08/15/13 12:37 AM

Speaking of mythical matchups, imagine a fight between Aaron Pryor and Julio Cesar Chavez....

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 08/15/13 04:32 AM

Nathan Cleverly is defending his title this weekend. Looking forward to it because i actually haven't seen him fight yet. The guy he's fighting Sergey Kovalev is also undefeated with only 1 draw, and also put someone in a coma a few years ago who later died.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 08/15/13 10:40 PM

Just saw this on yt, apparently it's footage of the 1897 fight between Bob Fitzimmons and Jim corbett.

Is this real? lol

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 08/15/13 11:41 PM

Hey hey whats that sound, everybody look whats going down. lol. From an old Buffalo Springfield song.

Thanks Camarel, i think that is real footage from the fight. Alot of real good old fights on YouTube, but with some of them the video quality isn't that great. But still i like to go back and watch some of the old time boxers fight.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 08/16/13 12:11 AM

Hey hey whats that sound, everybody look whats going down. lol. From an old Buffalo Springfield song.

Thanks Camarel, i think that is real footage from the fight. Alot of real good old fights on YouTube, but with some of them the video quality isn't that great. But still i like to go back and watch some of the old time boxers fight.

Come on what do you expect it's 115 years ago lol wink . I spotted it while watching this fight -

After watching that fight i lose alot of respect for Dempsey and Jack Johnson, for constantly avoiding Sam Langford. If people weren't terrified of him and actually fought him, i think we'd be saying he was the best HW pre Joe Louis.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 08/16/13 12:17 AM

Come on what do you expect it's 115 years ago lol wink

lol Yes, i see your point. lol

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 08/16/13 01:07 AM

Come on what do you expect it's 115 years ago lol wink

lol Yes, i see your point. lol

No idea what my recent acient grainy footage fetish is about. I just watched this Benny Leonard fight, you should watch it Giancarlo, put a song on the background and chill wink

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 08/16/13 01:09 AM

Looking at my comment it looks like i said "granny foot fetish" . That's what i meant cool

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 08/16/13 10:25 AM

Nathan Cleverly is defending his title this weekend. Looking forward to it because i actually haven't seen him fight yet. The guy he's fighting Sergey Kovalev is also undefeated with only 1 draw, and also put someone in a coma a few years ago who later died.

This will be a good fight mate. Cleverly is good and so is this other fella!!

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 08/16/13 07:29 PM

Looks like Vitali Klitschko wants to become the President of the Ukraine and plans on running in 2015.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnew...of-Ukraine.html

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 08/16/13 07:38 PM

Looking forward to Cleverly, ever since HBO got out of the golden boy business they have been making better fights, while Showtime has made GBP their sole promoter. To be fair, Showtime has still been making good scraps like the Berto Soto Karass fight last month.
Who does everyone have for Marquez Bradley?

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 08/16/13 07:40 PM

Looks like Vitali Klitschko wants to become the President of the Ukraine and plans on running in 2015.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnew...of-Ukraine.html

Hopefully he gets stripped of his title soon, it's nearly been a year since he last defended it. I think the winner of Fury-Haye should fight either Kubrat Pulev or Tomasz Adamek for it.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 08/16/13 07:48 PM

Looking forward to Cleverly, ever since HBO got out of the golden boy business they have been making better fights, while Showtime has made GBP their sole promoter. To be fair, Showtime has still been making good scraps like the Berto Soto Karass fight last month.
Who does everyone have for Marquez Bradley?

I've not seen Cleverly fight yet, just a few clips on yt. What do you think of him. I give Bradley a decision win. It'll be close though because it's not that long ago that Marquez knocked Pac out, while Bradley won on a disputed decision.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 08/16/13 08:06 PM

Cleverly is a solid technical boxer. Hes got good size for that weight class and has good hand speed. His power is not special, and hes got a solid jab. To win hes going to need to stay on the outside and work the jab then occasionally dig that right hand the body. Id say Kovalev ko's him though, Kovalev is a beast.
Are you referring to Bradley Pac or Bradley Provodnikov? Bradley fought Provodnikob several months ago in what was probably top 3 fights of the year; an absolutely war. He slid out with a close, but deserving decision. If you have any time to spare I'd suggest checking it out on youtube.
I think Marquez is going to take Bradley. He'll use his skills which are the best in the game.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 08/16/13 08:26 PM

Cleverly is a solid technical boxer. Hes got good size for that weight class and has good hand speed. His power is not special, and hes got a solid jab. To win hes going to need to stay on the outside and work the jab then occasionally dig that right hand the body. Id say Kovalev ko's him though, Kovalev is a beast.
Are you referring to Bradley Pac or Bradley Provodnikov? Bradley fought Provodnikob several months ago in what was probably top 3 fights of the year; an absolutely war. He slid out with a close, but deserving decision. If you have any time to spare I'd suggest checking it out on youtube.
I think Marquez is going to take Bradley. He'll use his skills which are the best in the game.

I was referring to Bradley - Pac. I agree i've always loved Marquez, he's one of the most entertaining fighters i've ever seen. It's a very tough one to call, but i'll stick with my prediction that Bradley will get a decision even though i'm not really a fan of his. There's a good few big fights coming up, Cleverly-Kovalev, Haye - Fury, Mayweather - Alvares, Bradley - Marquez, Povetkin - Klitchsko to name a few. It looks like it's going to be a good next few months grin

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 08/16/13 08:41 PM

surprised to see nobody mention danny garcia vs lucas matthysse, the co-main event to mayweather/alvarez. this is one of those fights that can't possibly be boring, and its almost a sure thing that it doesn't go the distance. matthysse by ko in a war!

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 08/16/13 08:45 PM

Agreed Five but I gotta go with Danny. I think Danny is the cream of the crop and should be on the p4p lists. Hes an excellent counter puncher who continously gets called lucky but his skill is his timing in throwing with his opponent which combined with his power makes for an excellent fighter. Id like to see Broner's big fat mouth knocked off by Danny, but Broner is too busy taking easy fights for pay days.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 08/16/13 08:53 PM

Agreed Five but I gotta go with Danny. I think Danny is the cream of the crop and should be on the p4p lists. Hes an excellent counter puncher who continously gets called lucky but his skill is his timing in throwing with his opponent which combined with his power makes for an excellent fighter. Id like to see Broner's big fat mouth knocked off by Danny, but Broner is too busy taking easy fights for pay days.

I've never taken the p4p list seriously. Bradley and Broner are on it, both good fighters but i don't accept that their top 10. Forgot all about Garcia-Matthysse should be amazing. Another tough one to call but i give it to Garcia as well with a ko in the last 3 rounds.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 08/16/13 09:12 PM

Another tough one to call but i give it to Garcia as well with a ko in the last 3 rounds.

it sure is, and garcia definitely has a shot, and it would be to weather the early storm, and catch him late. however, lucas has come a long way in the last 2 years, and he really learned alot in his close split decision losses to alexander and judah, 2 fighters who i feel he would handle in rematches. he has seemingly found that niche with punchers where he's able to pace himself and setup his shots methodically, while still being very aggressive and putting on tons of pressure.

i agreed with bernard hopkins breakdown of the fight, where he stated that to win, garcia has to fight an almost perfect fight, and his style leads to alot of exchanges, and with such a big puncher that can and will spell trouble. its going to be real interesting to see how garcia reacts after being tagged, and his reaction will be a good indication of which direction the fight goes.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 08/16/13 09:52 PM

A perfect fight for Danny is landing a crispy right hand counter on Matthyse' temple. I agree though that Matthyse has looked alot better as of late, mainly because he is knocking guys out instead letting the judges screw him; see alexander and judah.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 08/16/13 10:37 PM

I agree i've always loved Marquez, he's one of the most entertaining fighters i've ever seen. It's a very tough one to call, but i'll stick with my prediction that Bradley will get a decision even though i'm not really a fan of his.

Although I'm a big Marquez fan, I'm convinced the 39 year old has been aggressively using steroids and PED's- thanks to trainer Angel Heredia. That makes this fight very difficult to handicap.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 08/16/13 11:45 PM

Bradley has the hardest head in the 147 pound division. He can't be ko'd, hes got a marshan head. Marquez is not going to be going into this fight looking for the ko, like with pac 4. Hes going to be looking to use that skill set which made him top 5 p4p for a decade. He's on another level boxing wise from Bradley. Marquez UD 12.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 08/17/13 04:40 PM

Just found this channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/2112wildcat/videos . That has a ton of old boxing fight, it's got alot of Ray Robinson fights including 2 against Lamotta.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 08/17/13 11:20 PM

You called it Vinny, Cleverly got destroyed.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 08/18/13 12:33 AM

Was the fight on tv live? Here it's on tonight on HBO but it's obviously the tape of the fight card.

Good call Vinnie.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 08/18/13 02:03 AM

Yeah. I am a handicapper of sorts. If you ever want picks in the future hit me up.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 08/19/13 01:56 PM

Cleverly beat, but Darren Barker beat tough Aussie Daniel Geale to win a world title so a mixed week for the Brits smile

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 08/24/13 09:03 PM

Mike Tyson: 'I did a lot of bad things, and I want to be forgiven'

By Austin Knoblauch
August 24, 2013

Anyone who thinks Mike Tyson has moved beyond the problems that plagued him during his tumultuous boxing career should listen to what the former heavyweight champion had to say during a promotional news conference for ESPN's "Friday Night Fights."

Tyson, 47, opened up about his ongoing struggles with drugs and alcohol, saying he's constantly at war with himself as he attempts to make amends for the mistakes he's made.

"I haven't drink or took drugs for six days, and for me, that's a miracle," a teary-eyed Tyson said during the news conference. "I've been lying to everybody else that think I was sober, but I'm not. This is my sixth day. I'm never gonna use again."

Tyson's comments came in response to him talking about trying to make amends with Teddy Atlas, his former trainer whom he had a falling out with in the early 1980s. Tyson knew Atlas was going to be at the "Fight Night Fights" event, and said he struggled at first with how he would handle a possible meeting with him.

"I didn't have a good thought in mind about that at first, because I'm negative and I'm dark," Tyson said. "And I wanna do bad stuff. I wanna hang out in this neighborhood alone [pointing to his head], that's dangerous to hang out in this neighborhood alone up here, right? It wants to kill everything. It wants to kill me, too.

"Maybe it was overwhelming to Teddy and he didn't get it yet. But he has to know this is sincere. I don't wanna fight you no more. I was wrong. I'm sorry."

Tyson went on to describe how he wants to change his life before it's too late.

"I did a lot of bad things, and I want to be forgiven," he said. "I wanna live my sober life. I don't wanna die. I'm on the verge of dying, because I'm a vicious alcoholic."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-mike-tyson-makes-amends-20130824,0,3532068.story#axzz2cvEvDByY

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 08/24/13 09:17 PM

abner mares vs johny gonzalez tonight on showtime. should be a good fight for as long as it lasts, and i expect gonzalez to have his moments. however, i think that mares will just be too much, and will either take a somewhat lopsided decision or a ko/tko depending on how aggressive he is.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 08/24/13 09:33 PM

abner mares vs johny gonzalez tonight on showtime. should be a good fight for as long as it lasts, and i expect gonzalez to have his moments. however, i think that mares will just be too much, and will either take a somewhat lopsided decision or a ko/tko depending on how aggressive he is.

Looking forward to this fight, Mares is one of my favourite boxers atm. Jhonny has had some great fights. I can't see him beating Mares though, i say UD for Mares.

Also undefeated HW Kubrat Pulev won by UD against Tony Thompson today. I didn't see it so can't comment on it. Apparently he'll fight the winner of Klitschko-Povetkin. I don't think he's done enough to warrant a title shot yet, he should fight the winner of Haye-Fury or Deontay Wilder first imo.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 08/25/13 03:31 AM

about as flush of a left hook as you're ever going to see!

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 08/25/13 03:33 AM

Check left hook. Touching that jab too set him up like Paulie said.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 08/25/13 01:50 PM

Didn't see that coming lol. 1st round as well, got to give Gonzales his due, it was a great left. Mares has constantly fought top guys since Darchinyan, so it's not actually that surprising. I'm hoping that Donaire goes up to Featherweight to fight Abner soon, that should be a good fight.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 09/23/13 02:59 AM

Mayweather decisioned Alvarez last night--decisively--although one blind judge had it a draw mad Canelo tried to box Floyd in the early rounds. Big mistake: nobody outboxes Floyd. He should have rushed Floyd in the early rounds and possibly overpowered him. Instead, Floyd boxed his ears off. Telling moment: in the last 30 seconds of the 7th, Floyd had him on the ropes. Canelo didn't seem physically hurt, but the look in his eyes told me the fight had gone out of him. Ir was downhill after that.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 09/24/13 12:19 AM

Mayweather decisioned Alvarez last night--decisively--although one blind judge had it a draw mad Canelo tried to box Floyd in the early rounds. Big mistake: nobody outboxes Floyd. He should have rushed Floyd in the early rounds and possibly overpowered him. Instead, Floyd boxed his ears off. Telling moment: in the last 30 seconds of the 7th, Floyd had him on the ropes. Canelo didn't seem physically hurt, but the look in his eyes told me the fight had gone out of him. Ir was downhill after that.

Last night? It was over a week ago. It was certainly shocking for any of the judges to give a draw. It was actually quite boring imo just another routine win for Floyd. He's quickly running out of competition, apparently he's going to fight Amir 'glass chin' Khan next rolleyes .

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 09/24/13 01:21 AM

The blind Judge, CJ Ross, has stepped down. I believe Governor Sandoval forced the action, as Vegas boxing events are a cash cow for the state.

CJ Ross also awarded Tim Bradley the decision over Manny Pacquiao. Rough two fight stretch for her....

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 09/25/13 03:20 PM

Shame the David Haye v Tyson Fury fight is off. Was looking forward to it uhwhat

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 10/05/13 08:25 PM

Watching currently Povetkin vs Klitschko

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 10/06/13 10:19 AM

Wlad won by a mile I see. So much for Povetkin being the man to shake the Heavies up!!

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 10/06/13 07:15 PM

It was an ugly fight. But like many of Wlad's other opponents, Povetkin was afraid to throw punches.

Povetkin threw an average of 23 punches a round and landed 5. That's wasting your chance at the title in my book.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 10/06/13 07:37 PM

I didn't watch the fight and wasn't planning to. The HW division is a joke nowadays, there can be an argument made that it was the best from the 60's to the 90's, but recently all of these overweight Eastern Europeans are just so boring.

Congrats to Wlad he's clearly the best HW of his generation, and even though i still think he's boring, i've got to say his fights are alot easier to sit through than most of that division.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 10/06/13 07:40 PM

Wlad won by a mile I see. So much for Povetkin being the man to shake the Heavies up!!

You're right someone new always comes along who's going to shake the Heavies up lol . Recently i've been hearing it's going to be Deontay Wilder lol the guy who's most impressive win is againt a 41 year old Audley Harrison rolleyes

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 10/06/13 07:41 PM

Yeah. I am a handicapper of sorts. If you ever want picks in the future hit me up.

Why was Vinnie banned?

Edit: nevermind i saw the thread.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 10/06/13 07:58 PM

Congrats to Wlad he's clearly the best HW of his generation, and even though i still think he's boring, i've got to say his fights are alot easier to sit through than most of that division.

Vitali was better, imo, although most pundits prefer Wlad.

Vitali had two disputed losses- he was injured while way ahead of Chris Byrd, and his war against Lennox Lewis was stopped due a gruesome cut near his eye. He was never legitimately KO'ed- in fact, he was never knocked down in a boxing match.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 10/06/13 08:10 PM

Vitali was better, imo, although most pundits prefer Wlad.

Vitali had two disputed losses- he was injured while way ahead of Chris Byrd, and his war against Lennox Lewis was stopped due a gruesome cut near his eye. He was never legitimately KO'ed- in fact, he was never knocked down in a boxing match.

I'm one of the few that agrees with you. I do think his fights are usually boring too, but he definitely has one of the best chins i've ever seen in boxing. I'd of course rather avoid a confrontation with either brother lol but i'd personally rather fight Wlad. Even though he's smaller and slimmer than Wlad he just look alot more brutal.

He better either drop the belt or fight again soon though, it's been over a year now and now he apparently wants to become the president of Ukraine. If he doesn't fight in the next few months he should be stripped imo.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 10/07/13 08:39 AM

Isn't Wilder in bother for domestic violence?? Could curtail his career, although it never bother Mike Tyson much....

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 10/07/13 11:32 AM

Isn't Wilder in bother for domestic violence?? Could curtail his career, although it never bother Mike Tyson much....

I hadn't heard about this, but after just googling it apparently the victim has accepted his apology rolleyes lol yeah sure it was just an apology. The guys fought 29 times and his biggest upon was a 41 yo Audley Harrison, he does have some talent but he needs to fight some half decent fighters.

http://www.boxingscene.com/wilders-attorney-victim-accepted-deontays-apology--65364

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 10/07/13 01:36 PM

It was an ugly fight. But like many of Wlad's other opponents, Povetkin was afraid to throw punches.

Povetkin threw an average of 23 punches a round and landed 5. That's wasting your chance at the title in my book.

He's not afraid to throw punches, he goes only with the tehnique of throwing straight brawl punches, like you do outside a pub when your shitfuck drunk you throw what you got into the other guys face. And that's the thing you don't do as a boxer, because the other boxer literally reads you.

Klitschko is smarter and uses tricky, calculated punches, these are the punches that you throw as a boxer. From the first day as a boxer myself I've been taught - boxing is not about hitting each other in the head, but it's about tricking your opponent so you can hit him, and not get hit yourself.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 10/11/13 02:47 AM

Timothy Bradley vs.Ruslan Provodnikov was the Fight of the Years, so far. Geez, what a brawl! Both guys, all heart. Bradley got hurt more, but he outboxed Provodnikov. Well deserved win for Tim.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 02/25/14 10:54 AM

I see Mayweather has signed up to fight limited but tough slugger Macros Madaina. Yawn, yawn, yawn. Another fight Floyd could win blindfold in his sleep and will be paid about $50 million for!!

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 03/04/14 02:37 PM

The re-match between British super middles Carl Froch and George Groves is to be held outdoors at Wembley stadium. Wow!! Talk about a license to make money!!!

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 03/04/14 05:45 PM

I see Mayweather has signed up to fight limited but tough slugger Macros Madaina. Yawn, yawn, yawn. Another fight Floyd could win blindfold in his sleep and will be paid about $50 million for!!

There's noone else for him to fight since the Manny fight is never going to happen. I'd rather him fight Madina much more than that joke Amir Khan.

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 03/04/14 05:52 PM

There's noone else for him to fight since the Manny fight is never going to happen. I'd rather him fight Madina much more than that joke Amir Khan.

I would like to see him fight the explosive Kazak dynamo Gennady Golovkin. I know there is weight differences but I am sure they could meet at a catch weight!!
Posted By: TheArm

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 04/05/14 06:37 PM

Realize this is a real stretch in this day and age but are there any boxing fans on here?

HUGE boxing fan here.
Lived 30 minuets from the International hall of fame for many years.
Posted By: TheArm

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 04/05/14 06:44 PM

He's not afraid to throw punches, he goes only with the tehnique of throwing straight brawl punches, like you do outside a pub when your shitfuck drunk you throw what you got into the other guys face. And that's the thing you don't do as a boxer, because the other boxer literally reads you.

Klitschko is smarter and uses tricky, calculated punches, these are the punches that you throw as a boxer. From the first day as a boxer myself I've been taught - boxing is not about hitting each other in the head, but it's about tricking your opponent so you can hit him, and not get hit yourself.

I'm no boxer but I do come from a family steeped in the sport.
As a boxer let me ask your opinion about Klitschko (Vlad);
The rules of boxing clearly state that when you throw a job, you have to pull it back, you can not leave your arm extended less than a 60 degree angle.
Klitschko has violated this rule from the first day of his career in virtually every fight he has been in, and I have seen him called on it twice, and in one fight he lost, and in the other TOS Willimason knocked him on his ass, before Vlad being awarded a gift of a decision because of a cut that should not have been a fight stopper, and claimed he was ahead after 3 rounds (Which if you do the math in the 10 point must system, is virtually impossible when you have been knocked down and taken a 10-8 round)
Comments?

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 04/18/14 07:42 AM

Originally Posted By: TheArm

I'm no boxer but I do come from a family steeped in the sport.
As a boxer let me ask your opinion about Klitschko (Vlad);
The rules of boxing clearly state that when you throw a job, you have to pull it back, you can not leave your arm extended less than a 60 degree angle.
Klitschko has violated this rule from the first day of his career in virtually every fight he has been in, and I have seen him called on it twice, and in one fight he lost, and in the other TOS Willimason knocked him on his ass, before Vlad being awarded a gift of a decision because of a cut that should not have been a fight stopper, and claimed he was ahead after 3 rounds (Which if you do the math in the 10 point must system, is virtually impossible when you have been knocked down and taken a 10-8 round)
Comments?

There's no rule you can't hold out your jab, in my gym I've got actually told to hold it out and move it in circles to confuse the opponent, as if he has a boxing glove in his face, covering his vision, he can't see you.
I've also witnessed fights where my friend knocked a guy down on the floor 5 times, but in the end the guy got given victory. Judges are different, they're people. And every man has his price.

On another NOTE: Latvia and Europe boxing champion Andrejs Barabanovs connected to organized crime has been killed. http://www.gangsterbb.net/threads/ubbthr...3454#Post773454
Posted By: whisper

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 07/09/14 11:15 AM

Geale has it in him to upset GGG if he keeps moving and doesn't get lured into a slug fest

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 07/09/14 11:29 AM

Golovkin is a beast but I like Geale a lot. Good fight!!
Posted By: ItalianForever

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 04/19/15 12:10 PM

Anybody see that Chavez JR fight last night? Is this kid not an absolute disgrace to his father and his heritage? He complained to the ref all night. Everytime he got hit, he said Fonfara did something wrong. He gets Fonfara a point unfairly taken from him, then he gets his ass dropped. He then quits on his stool and if that wasn't enough he tells Jim Grey he was winning the fight?

The kid has no class. He never once congratulated Fonfara for the win or even acknowledged him after the fight. The kid has no class. His dad didn't have much class either.
Posted By: Mr. Blonde

Re: Any Boxing Fans on here? - 05/06/15 01:27 PM

So now that the Fight of the Century is over, what will be the next Fight of the Century? My guess would be Canelo vs GGG.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET