Home

FIFA 2010 World Cup

Posted By: veneratio

FIFA 2010 World Cup - 05/28/10 08:49 AM

I can't see a thread on the World Cup starting next month!
Who are you guys supporting and who is your pick to win!
Posted By: Tony Mosrite

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 05/28/10 02:58 PM

good idea!

I'm from Brazil but we can't really say I am supporting my nation's team. I root for my team, Internacional, and that's it. the Seleção is usually a lazy team filled with primadonnas who don't represent the country at all and much more important, it is not the "national" team, it's the CBF team.

actually this World Cup's version is the opposite of that - due to 2006' fiasco - and Brazil has been steamrolling since Dunga took over. on the other hand his roster is a joke and the team lacks talent. anyway history tells us that if you pick Brazil, Italy and Germany as favorites you're likely to get it right.

Spain, Holland and Argentina are the ones who will feature the hot players though. I would say Argentina is the most talented team but they've become big-time chokers; Spain is the team that's been playing the best but that doesn't mean anything either - Brazil in 2002 and Italy in 2006 were considered finished before the World Cup and they both won. so overall I didn't answer your question and didn't say anything really new or objective tongue
Posted By: BAM_233

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 05/28/10 04:53 PM

im all for team usa...and no im not joking

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 05/28/10 11:52 PM

Yeah I need to have a look at Brazil's team, they left out Ronaldinho right? Apparently he is too old?
I thought Brazil must have an awesome team if they are leaving him out?
Is there problem that they are a team of individuals do you think?
They will be a force. They have a tough group though!
Everyone I know is picking Spain but Euro was a while ago now.
England have a good team and have a chance even though they alwasy choke.

Bam I think USA are going to have a good shot, maybe not at winning but to advance far further than people think, the MLS would have helped develop soccer/football in the U.S. so much. Your main competition is England and I don't know much about Algeria or Slovenia in your group but the U.S. should make it to at least the final 16!

I am from New Zealand and this is the first time since 1981 that we have qualified, we have never drawn or won a game so even to just do that at the world cup would be huge for us really, not asking too much! Haha.
I will support Italy and Australia once we are knocked out.
Posted By: DE NIRO

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 05/29/10 08:14 AM

Im not getting my hopes up with England chances this year has they always let the nation down. The media always seems puts to much pressure on them saying this is our year. We also have awful a penalty record so lets hope we can avoid them, we need to take every game as it comes, i'll would be happy with a semi final place and take it from there.

I think spain have the best squad of players and should win the WC but it never works out like that does it, never right off the Germans and Brazil will there as usual.

My tip- Spain
Watch out for Serbia and Ivory Coast

smile
Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 05/29/10 05:19 PM

Spain are favourites but there are any amount of teams who can challenge. England,Brazil,Germany,Holland,Portugal and Argentina spring to mind. A dark horse to follow for me would be Australia. I don't think they will win it but they could go far!
Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/02/10 12:27 AM

Brazil.

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/03/10 07:34 PM

I drew Holland in a sweepstake with friends. ohwell Coulda been worse, I suppose, though it could have been better.

I can't wait!
Posted By: Enzo Scifo

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/03/10 09:30 PM

Spain is gonna win this thing, they are by far the best team. Argentina does not have a great midfield, which will limit their chances, despite having a shitload of good strikers. Brazil doesn't have enough players with a good technique. France can't play together, England will have the Lampard-Gerrad problem, Germany doesn't have the experience, ..

I wanna play WC fantasy soccer with you guys!

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/03/10 10:13 PM

There are several ways around the 'Gerrard-Lampard' myth...
Posted By: Blibbleblabble

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/04/10 01:18 AM

Originally Posted By: Enzo Scifo

Play! There is a thread with a link and group/password information. It's easy to set up.

Capo, you too smile

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/04/10 02:50 PM

Yeah, I need to make a Yahoo account though. I can never be bothered with that kind of stuff. If it were a 10-step process, I'd be all up for it; a 2-step process and I kinda get exhausted just thinking about it. lol

I'll do it, though.

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/05/10 05:49 AM

Originally Posted By: veneratio
Yeah I need to have a look at Brazil's team, they left out Ronaldinho right? Apparently he is too old?
I thought Brazil must have an awesome team if they are leaving him out?
Is there problem that they are a team of individuals do you think?
They will be a force. They have a tough group though!
Everyone I know is picking Spain but Euro was a while ago now.
England have a good team and have a chance even though they alwasy choke.

is not that Ronaldinho is too old, but he just didn't follow every single Dunga rule and he hasn't been playing very well either. even so I believe it is a shame that the head coach gives such little importance to raw talent and so much to hard working defensive midfielders, off-field manners and "commitment", like he says.

the group difficulty has dropped a lot with Drogba hurt as well as England misses a lot with Rio Ferdinand out. anyway I never thought they had that great of a chance. it's unbelievable that there isn't one single reliable english goalkeeper, for instance. and Spain has a good chance this time in my opinion. their Euro win was 2 years ago but they have been playing well ever since.

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/05/10 06:34 AM

In the early rounds I will be watching my usual teams I root for. U.S., Mexico and England. I always enjoy cheering them on, even though I know they won't go very far. After that I just enjoy watching the best play, whoever that may be.

Lionel Messi will be playing for Spain right? I'm looking forward to seeing him play as well.

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/05/10 08:10 AM

Messi will be playing for Argentina..

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/05/10 08:30 AM

Thanks De Niro.

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/05/10 02:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra
There are several ways around the 'Gerrard-Lampard' myth...

?? Barry? tongue

I joined the league. Fuck me, I'm too excited about this tournament, so only total disappointment can be my part.

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/05/10 04:02 PM

If Barry is match-fit, I'd certainly play him, which would allow both Gerrard and Lampard to head further up the pitch, which they like doing. I'd even play Gerrard (and Joe Cole for that matter) as a second striker working off Rooney. Essentially, against more industrious teams, I'd play a 4-5-1, otherwise by the quarters, should we get there, our midfield will once again be fucked, and we'll be relying on individual great performances from the likes of Ashley Cole and Wayne Rooney, which win might impress everyone watching but don't help us avoid fatal penalty shoot-outs.

As for Brazil and Ronaldinho's absence... Dunga's built his team around a a careful but by no means conservative work ethic into which Ronaldinho doesn't fit. For all the 'raw talent' he may have, if he doesn't fit into Dunga's chosen formation very well, and hasn't had the best of 'off-field manners' or 'commitment' in the qualifying campaign (two things vital to any dressing room vibe going into a month-long tournament against the best teams in the world), I can't think of any reason to take him. It's a bold decision certainly, but only because it goes against media pressure - I only wish we'd had that kind of manager in previous tournaments.

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/05/10 04:29 PM

yes Capo I agree that 'off-field manners' and 'commitment' are vital to a team's success, but the thing is Brazil didn't find the right middle term between Germany 2006' total mess and this year's massive worrying with everything other than soccer.

I find it impressive that Dunga doesn't care to have one single talent waiting on the bench to try to turn a game upside down. if Brazil's losing 1-0 in the quarterfinals with 15 minutes to go, Julio Baptista and Grafite will be the guys with the task to step up and make a comeback. I'd rather have Ronaldinho or Pato or Neymar.

I just don't see what you mean with "by no means conservative work ethic"... Dunga is the most conservative guy in the world. he is ALWAYS bragging about discipline and "commitment", - that word is gaining joke status here - he likes military and even questioned media guys that they shouldn't give opinions on apartheid because they weren't there so they don't know if it was good or bad!

anyway, he loses himself when he goes on bragging about things he doesn't know. of course he knows everything about soccer and especially about the World Cup (it's his fourth), his team is steamrolling ever since he took over, winning Copa America, Confederations Cup and beating Portugal, Italy and Argentina - this one several times. on the other hand he lost the Olympics, played poorly until Copa America final when he found his magic 'counter-attack' approach and even the Confederations Cup win was a heartbeat. there were a few 0-0 home games against shitty teams like Bolivia and Colombia when you just couldn't keep awake during the game and many many times our goalkeeper Julio Cesar has left a game as the hero. in short, Brazil's the favorite, but that's not going to be a very good to watch team.

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/06/10 07:34 AM

Originally Posted By: Blibbleblabble
Originally Posted By: Enzo Scifo

Play! There is a thread with a link and group/password information. It's easy to set up.

Capo, you too smile

Great, I just opened a Yahoo account to do this.
Posted By: Don Pappo Napolitano

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/06/10 06:39 PM

Hello! I am back! Who I am Supporting? Of Course...ARGENTINA!!!

We are facing Nigeria, South Korea and Greece. We hardly got into World Cup, we were in danger because of the poor game style we had until Martín Palermo made the "argentinian miracle" allowing us to keep on trying to get into the World Cup as we finally did. Messi is playing for Argentina as De Niro says, so don´t try to get him out of my team! JAJAJAA!

Michael Owen, David Beckham and others are not playing for England for injuries or whatever... I don´t think England has many chances to win this World Cup. I think we could face England in quarters, Brazil in Semifinal and Germany in the final if my logical thinking comes true.

Fair Play. Good Luck and may the best win....

Brazil: Pelé might be the king, Maradona is GOD! (JAJA! I know Tony Mosrite you told me you like Maradona! Just Joking)

England: No llores por mí, Inglaterra. tongue

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/06/10 06:59 PM

You'll have no crying from me, not unless some talented dwarf knocks us out with a handball.

I don't think England would have much chance of winning if Michael Owen did play. This isn't 1998! tongue

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/06/10 11:06 PM

Rio Ferdinand is out, knee ligament in training.

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/07/10 01:35 PM

If Germany make the final i will eat my liederhosen. Same theory applies to Argentina and their lunatic coach tongue

North Korea v South Korea in the final for me.......
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/07/10 06:01 PM

Come on, guys. How about a little bit of respect for the defending champs?

From guardian.co.uk

Italy World Cup 2010 fan's preview: Final, here we come.

The Italian member of our World Cup fans' network says Italy will retain the World Cup and England will lose to USA

Italy's Fabio Cannavaro takes a breather during a friendly against Mexico in Brussels. Photograph: Francois Walschaerts/Associated Press

Italy tend to do badly when expected to win – 1990, on home soil, for instance – and astound everyone when they're written off as rubbish. This year it's looking good – media experts are talking about the players being over the hill, Serie A being way past its prime, the strangulating tactics and why Marcello Lippi should be a club manager. It's the sort of thing people were saying in 2006. Italy will certainly find a way to make almost every game a struggle – New Zealand's physicality and speed is a worry – but our strengths are scrappiness and flexibility. I think we'll make the final. Really.

Men to watch: Daniele De Rossi is the star: tough, slick and he's a leader. Watch out for Totò Di Natale, Giampaolo Pazzini and Angelo Palombo.

Weakest link: Fabio Cannavaro is making me nervous. I wonder about Rino Gattuso and Gianluca Zambrotta too.

The coach: What José Mourinho was loudly to Inter, Lippi is quietly to the Azzurri: he is the star. He gets players to play for each other, and tactically he is quite a chameleon, adjusting his formation to stiletto opponents' weakest areas. He's the man.

Best chant: The immortal lyrics from White Stripe's "Seven Nation Army": "Oooh, oh oh oh oh oooh, oooh".

Least-liked opponents: Brazil. Yes, they have great players, yes, their coach is excellent, but I swear I will barf next time I hear "jogo bonito".

TIPS
Winner
: Italy will have the edge over Spain.

Golden boot: Antonio Di Natale (Italy).

England: They will struggle to pass the group stage, losing to a highly underrated USA side. Their goalkeeping is terrible and their mentality is still suspect. Sorry.

Follow George Ferzoco at boubsterama.wordpress.com

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/07/10 09:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas
If Germany make the final i will eat my liederhosen. Same theory applies to Argentina and their lunatic coach tongue

North Korea v South Korea in the final for me.......

You mean God, don`t you? wink

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/07/10 09:44 PM

You'll have no crying from me, not unless some talented dwarf knocks us out with a handball.I don't think England would have much chance of winning if Michael Owen did play. This isn't 1998! tongue

Oh! You mean FOOTball...jajaja! grin You know the old saying, "whoever robs a thief, gets a 100 year pardon". wink

God is argentinian...But he is everyone`s God...So is british people`s... tongue

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/07/10 09:51 PM

Argentina must win this World Cup, we are making southafrican people to support Argentina...However they don`t have a single chance to win...Brazil has won many times, it`s time for us. We must do it, what if the 2012 theory comes true?(Maya calendar says the world is supposed to end on december 21st of 2012, this may be the last World Cup).

This is the team for Argentina

AGUERO, SERGIO (ATLETICO MADRID – ESPAÑA)
ANDUJAR, MARIANO (CATANIA – ITALIA)
BOLATTI, MARIO (FIORENTINA – ITALIA)
BURDISSO, NICOLAS (ROMA – ITALIA)
DEMICHELIS, MARTIN (BAYERN MUNICH – ALEMANIA)
DI MARIA, ANGEL (BENFICA – PORTUGAL)
GARCE, ARIEL (COLON DE SANTA FE –ARGENTINA)
GUTIERREZ, JONAS (NEWCASTLE UNITED – INGLATERRA)
HEINZE, GABRIEL (OLIMPIQUE MARSELLA – FRANCIA)
HIGUAIN, GONZALO (REAL MADRID – ESPAÑA)
MASCHERANO, JAVIER (LIVERPOOL – INGLATERRA)
MESSI, LIONEL (BARCELONA – ESPAÑA)
MILITO, DIEGO (INTERNAZIONALE – ITALIA)
OTAMENDI, NICOLAS (VELEZ SARSFIELD- ARGENTINA)
PALERMO, MARTIN (BOCA JUNIORS – ARGENTINA)
PASTORE, JAVIER (PALERMO – ITALIA)
POZO, DIEGO (COLON DE SANTA FE – ARGENTINA)
RODRIGUEZ, CLEMENTE (ESTUDIANTES DE LA PLATA – ARGENTINA)
RODRIGUEZ, MAXIMILIANO (LIVERPOOL – INGLATERRA)
ROMERO, SERGIO (AZ ALKMAAR – HOLANDA)
SAMUEL, WALTER (INTERNAZIONALE – ITALIA)
TEVEZ, CARLOS (MANCHESTER CITY – INGLATERRA)
VERON, JUAN SEBASTIAN (ESTUDIANTES DE LA PLATA – ARGENTINA)

COACH: GOD

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/07/10 10:39 PM

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

From guardian.co.uk

Italy World Cup 2010 fan's preview: Final, here we come.

The Italian member of our World Cup fans' network says Italy will retain the World Cup and England will lose to USA

Italy's Fabio Cannavaro takes a breather during a friendly against Mexico in Brussels. Photograph: Francois Walschaerts/Associated Press

Italy tend to do badly when expected to win – 1990, on home soil, for instance – and astound everyone when they're written off as rubbish. This year it's looking good – media experts are talking about the players being over the hill, Serie A being way past its prime, the strangulating tactics and why Marcello Lippi should be a club manager. It's the sort of thing people were saying in 2006. Italy will certainly find a way to make almost every game a struggle – New Zealand's physicality and speed is a worry – but our strengths are scrappiness and flexibility. I think we'll make the final. Really.

Men to watch: Daniele De Rossi is the star: tough, slick and he's a leader. Watch out for Totò Di Natale, Giampaolo Pazzini and Angelo Palombo.

Weakest link: Fabio Cannavaro is making me nervous. I wonder about Rino Gattuso and Gianluca Zambrotta too.

The coach: What José Mourinho was loudly to Inter, Lippi is quietly to the Azzurri: he is the star. He gets players to play for each other, and tactically he is quite a chameleon, adjusting his formation to stiletto opponents' weakest areas. He's the man.

Best chant: The immortal lyrics from White Stripe's "Seven Nation Army": "Oooh, oh oh oh oh oooh, oooh".

Least-liked opponents: Brazil. Yes, they have great players, yes, their coach is excellent, but I swear I will barf next time I hear "jogo bonito".

TIPS
Winner
: Italy will have the edge over Spain.

Golden boot: Antonio Di Natale (Italy).

England: They will struggle to pass the group stage, losing to a highly underrated USA side. Their goalkeeping is terrible and their mentality is still suspect. Sorry.

Follow George Ferzoco at boubsterama.wordpress.com

Our keeper is prone to errors but i wouldn't say he is terrible.. My guess is that we will get to the quarter finals as usual.

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/08/10 01:56 PM

I always like Italy. Always watch for their results. I just feel they are too old this time round. They have kept the same squad from 4 years ago and most of them wee in their '30s then. Having said that i would never write them off. They are always hard to beat.

This talk of Englands goalkeeper crisis is starting to grate now. it may not be our strongest position but we will be alright,nobody will get a shot at our keeper anyhows lol

An awful lot of hype world-wide about Argentina, who do have world class players. One word of warning though. Didn't they almost not qualify? Maradona may be God but God never won any World Cups as far as i am aware..... wink

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/08/10 03:06 PM

(...)

I like your analysis; that's exactly how it works with Italy. they'll make a struggle out of every game, be it against Brazil or Tanzania or New Zealand. after two rounds it will look like they may be out but they'll find a way to advance and then they can go anywhere from best to bust.

there's a likely matchup against Spain in the quarterfinals and if Italy gets past that they'll have built enough drama and strenght to become a real threat. anyway, I dare to say that I don't believe in this team at all and don't see them advancing past the quarterfinals, which is widely accepted as a reasonable outcome, which means that Italy might win it all tongue

in the meaning that Brazil plays beutifully? when?? we have great players but many many of them are on vacation right now; it's funny how we brazilians are spoiled brats and complain about our national team when the whole world dreams of having half of our players, and this time even our stubborn head coach is regarded as "excellent". the truth is Brazil has a solid, winning team but this time our game relies on speedy counter-attack, not "jogo bonito".

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/08/10 03:52 PM

An awful lot of hype world-wide about Argentina, who do have world class players. One word of warning though. Didn't they almost not qualify? Maradona may be God but God never won any World Cups as far as i am aware..... wink

1-We are in, it doesn`t matter how hard it was. We are in thanks to Martin Palermo`s miracle against Peru. Before Mexico 86, Argentina had the same situation because we were almost out of the World Cup, however we got in and we won the World Cup. As Freddy Mercury used to say "We are the champions, my friend". grin

2-Actually God won a World Cup, it`s Mexico 86. We won England with 2 historical goals, one skipping 5 english players and the another one with the "hand of God".And we beat Germany in the final match... tongue All the religions have discovered that they have the same God, and God is from Argentina... grin

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/11/10 08:40 AM

I love your enthusiasm Don Pappo smile

Remember here in England we don't look quite so favourably on your Mr. Maradona,understandably so........ eek

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/11/10 01:50 PM

so it's about to start. I say Mexico will win the opening game. let's see.

and you can't deny that Maradona is a great character. Pelé was the greatest player ever but other than his soccer skills there's not much to care about him; now, Maradona is one for the ages! a terrible coach I must say, but if somehow he manages to fix his defense a little bit and Messi goes on a hot streak, Argentina could win this any time.

Don Pappo - there's one thing I don't understand. why the hell "El Pibe" just ignores Cambiasso? he was playing very well until 2 weeks ago and you can use another experienced midfielder. remember that Veron can't play well for 90 minutes.

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/11/10 02:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Tony Mosrite
Pelé was the greatest player ever but other than his soccer skills there's not much to care about him; now, Maradona is one for the ages!

Yeah, I agree (if an American's opinion counts in such things lol). But don't forget Franz Beckenbauer or Johan Cruyff. They, too, were kind of "boring," like Pelé was, but they sure could play. As far as favorites, mine has always been Giorgio Chinaglia, especially since he's been on the lam lol. Anyone remember the New York Cosmos?

I guess I'm showing my age, huh? ohwell

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/11/10 10:47 PM

Uruguay 0 France 0

Quite possibly the boringness game i've ever watched, lets hope its gets better than this..
Posted By: Don Zadjali

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/12/10 01:58 AM

Originally Posted By: DE NIRO
Uruguay 0 France 0

Quite possibly the boringness game i've ever watched, lets hope its gets better than this..

I fell asleep while watching their game!

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/12/10 02:05 AM

let's set our hopes in tomorrow's early morning classic, South Korea vs. Greece! ohwell

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/12/10 05:36 PM

I love your enthusiasm Don Pappo smile

Remember here in England we don't look quite so favourably on your Mr. Maradona,understandably so........ eek
Yeah..I Understand! hehe! You are gonna play with USA today, Good Luck. I think you are gonna win because USA is not regarded as a great soccer team, although it is getting better every World Cup hahaha.

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/12/10 05:39 PM

so it's about to start. I say Mexico will win the opening game. let's see.

and you can't deny that Maradona is a great character. Pelé was the greatest player ever but other than his soccer skills there's not much to care about him; now, Maradona is one for the ages! a terrible coach I must say, but if somehow he manages to fix his defense a little bit and Messi goes on a hot streak, Argentina could win this any time.

Don Pappo - there's one thing I don't understand. why the hell "El Pibe" just ignores Cambiasso? he was playing very well until 2 weeks ago and you can use another experienced midfielder. remember that Veron can't play well for 90 minutes.
I am not quite sure, but I guess there are better players. However, remember Cambiasso failed the last kick penalty against Germany in 2006. Is it about Bad charm? Maybe...

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/12/10 05:41 PM

WE WON! Argentina 1- Nigeria 0... Heinze with his head made the goal at 6 minutes of the first time...
Posted By: J Geoff

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/12/10 05:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Don Pappo Napolitano
USA is not regarded as a great soccer team, although it is getting better every World Cup hahaha.

I guess we'll see... I've never really watched before, but have it on now. Even while my Yankees are playing! eek wink

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/12/10 06:36 PM

give it a try JG, it's just as boring as baseball lol I always heard that americans don't like soccer due to low scores and slow pace of the game but isn't it just like your national past time?

[as I type] England 1-0 with less than 5 minutes. Gerrard has always been a monster.

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/12/10 06:42 PM

and I don't think there's anyone better than Cambiasso in Argentina's midfield. along with Mascherano they would be two pitbulls guarding Maradona's shaky defensive system.

also I wouldn't care about failing the last penalty. great players like Zico and Roberto Baggio have missed key World Cup penalty kicks; it just happens. unless Maradona sees some sort of "bad karma" around him and Zanetti, which is what I believe. if that's the case, then he didn't watch Inter Milan win every championship it played this season.

in my opinion, the 2004 Red Sox proved there's no such thing as bad karma, for those who needed it; put the best players together and play hard and give your best and you're going to win.
Posted By: J Geoff

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/12/10 07:15 PM

I'll take that cheap USA goal whistle

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/12/10 08:24 PM

You are gonna play with USA today, Good Luck. I think you are gonna win because USA is not regarded as a great soccer team

So I guess for us Ugly Americans, a tie is as good as a win, right? tongue lol

First the Revolutionary War, now this! tongue lol

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/13/10 04:51 PM

Apparently, a tie is as as good as a win.

USA WINS 1-1

"World Cup Shocker"? Indeeeeeed.

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/13/10 04:55 PM

Quote:
Pelé was the greatest player ever but other than his soccer skills there's not much to care about him...
Not if the issue at stake is something other than soccer!

I genuinely can't say Pelé is or was the greatest player ever, because I've only seen his 'highlights'. I suspect that's the case for most of the people posting in this thread.

In terms of greatest players I've ever watched - as in watching a full game in which they've played, because then you get to see how they work off the ball as well as on it, in the full context of an actual match - is Zinedine Zidane.

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/13/10 07:38 PM

I agree Capo, best player of our generation.

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/13/10 09:55 PM

yes Zidane was a monster. I would say he shares the top 3 with Romario and Ronaldo - don't know who's 'the best' - but indeed Zidane was great more consistently and constantly than the other two.

now, if you're not sure Pelé was the best ever, it's because you didn't see enough of him.

I like guys like Cruyff, Maradona and Garrincha much more as 'icons' or 'characters' but Pelé was the best by a fair share. of course it was another era. he was the only one with the shape of a player of today, sometimes playing against semi-amateur opponents, but what did he do? he kicked their asses and won everything and scored over 1000 goals, no one else did it at ant other time.

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/13/10 11:39 PM

hey geoff you may get your wish http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/s...;cc=5901?ver=us
Posted By: dontomasso

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/14/10 04:23 PM

WE WON! Argentina 1- Nigeria 0... Heinze with his head made the goal at 6 minutes of the first time...

How on earth did you select Maradonna as a manager?

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/15/10 01:53 PM

A few World Cup points so far. Firstly what is with all the half empty stadiums? Not a good sign. Secondly its time for the horns(vevezulos) to fuck off. They say they blow them to create the atmosphere during the game,so why are they blowing them constantly? Thirdly the ball. It looks like a beach ball and seems to be spoiling the games. We havn't had a goal scored from outside the box yet apart from the US (and i don't want to talk about that LOL).

Lastly. As usual the first games are boring because every team is petrified of losing that first game. The real excitement won't start until the last group games and beyond.

THREE BEST TEAMS SO FAR;
Argentina,Germany and South Korea

THREE WORST TEAMS SO FAR;
Greece,France and Cameroon

THREE BIGGEST DISAPPOINTING TEAMS SO FAR'

England,Italy and Australia

THREE BIGGEST SURPRISE TEAMS SO FAR;

New Zealand,Japan and South Africa

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/15/10 02:45 PM

Lastly. As usual the first games are boring because every team is petrified of losing that first game.

yes that sums it up the World Cup so far.

I don't know enough about the ball to give a meaningful opinion, but if it could speak back, she wouldn't say nice things about the players either! lol
Posted By: Lilo

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/15/10 02:50 PM

I like the vuvuzeulas. whistle I thought they were bagpipes at first. I'm gonna get a vuvuzeula ring tone for my cell phone.

I don't know much about soccer but is there a way to provide more scoring opportunities?

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/15/10 05:50 PM

now, if you're not sure Pelé was the best ever, it's because you didn't see enough of him.
Yeah, I said that.

Quote:
Pelé was the only one with the shape of a player of today, sometimes playing against semi-amateur opponents, but what did he do? he kicked their asses and won everything and scored over 1000 goals, no one else did it at ant other time.
Yeah, there's no arguing with stats, but it's impossible to compare beyond that - and when considering stats themselves, you've got to account for the kinds of teams Pele was playing against. You can't imagine anyone to match his records in today's game - it's far more competitive and a lot faster. So all the 'best player ever' arguments can't really go beyond personal preference.

And mine's Zidane. As for Ronaldo - definitely the most naturally gifted striker I've ever watched. In terms of finishing and creating his own chances and making both of those look effortlessly easy, I can't think of anyone to match him.

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/15/10 05:52 PM

I don't know enough about the ball to give a meaningful opinion...
Apparently it's the 'roundest' ball ever used. Nobody seems to be getting to grips with it - as Yogi says, long range goals are few and far between. The Dutch and the Germans seem to always get to grips with this kind of stuff first - Holland in particular are never afraid of giving it a good old hoof. smile

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/15/10 05:58 PM

The vuvuzelas need to go simply on the basis that the players themselves often find communicating to one another difficult. Atmosphere's one thing, but in actual fact there's no change in volume from the run-up to a goal and its immediate aftermath. It's impossible to distinguish crowds, chants, etc. If anything, it's replaced atmosphere.

As for Maradona, he's not a good tactician. Argentina will be undone quite easily against a stronger, more balanced team, such as Germany.

Originally Posted By: Lilo
I don't know much about soccer but is there a way to provide more scoring opportunities?
I don't know; probably not. The problem - if you were suggesting there is one - hasn't anything to do with lack of goals, it's that the quality of football (because football is more than putting balls in a net) has so far been so utterly shite. Too many games are 'in need of a goal to liven things up'. The play itself has been pretty messy.

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/15/10 10:00 PM

Rob Green has trained today and in 3 hours he had 4,000 shots fired at him and did not concede a single goal. Tomorrow, him and Heskey will train with the rest of the squad.

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/16/10 02:35 AM

A few World Cup points so far. Firstly what is with all the half empty stadiums? Not a good sign. Secondly its time for the horns(vevezulos) to fuck off. They say they blow them to create the atmosphere during the game,so why are they blowing them constantly? Thirdly the ball. It looks like a beach ball and seems to be spoiling the games. We havn't had a goal scored from outside the box yet apart from the US (and i don't want to talk about that LOL).

Lastly. As usual the first games are boring because every team is petrified of losing that first game. The real excitement won't start until the last group games and beyond.

THREE BEST TEAMS SO FAR;
Argentina,Germany and South Korea

THREE WORST TEAMS SO FAR;
Greece,France and Cameroon

THREE BIGGEST DISAPPOINTING TEAMS SO FAR'

England,Italy and Australia

THREE BIGGEST SURPRISE TEAMS SO FAR;

New Zealand,Japan and South Africa

wheres the love for the U.S team? lol

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/16/10 09:30 PM

chinease stand ins rooting for north korea?! wtf

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/16/10 09:55 PM

Wednesday, 16 June 2010
FIFA World Cup

Honduras 0-1 Chile
South Africa 0-3 Uruguay
Spain 0-1 Switzerland

Tuesday, 15 June 2010
FIFA World Cup

Brazil 2-1 North Korea
Ivory Coast 0-0 Portugal
New Zealand 1-1 Slovakia

Monday, 14 June 2010
FIFA World Cup

Italy 1-1 Paraguay
Japan 1-0 Cameroon
Netherlands 2-0 Denmark

Sunday, 13 June 2010
FIFA World Cup

Algeria 0-1 Slovenia
Germany 4-0 Australia
Serbia 0-1 Ghana

Saturday, 12 June 2010

FIFA World Cup

Argentina 1-0 Nigeria
England 1-1 USA
South Korea 2-0 Greece

Friday, 11 June 2010
FIFA World Cup

South Africa 1-1 Mexico
Uruguay 0-0 France

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/17/10 10:46 PM

s for Ronaldo - definitely the most naturally gifted striker I've ever watched. In terms of finishing and creating his own chances and making both of those look effortlessly easy, I can't think of anyone to match him.

I miss him on this World Cup. Even as a substitute it would be great to see him there. Same goes for Ronaldinho..

Maradona may also be a crappy coach but at least his team plays more the joga bonita kind of game than Dunga's.

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/18/10 09:34 AM

BAM i was actually very impressed with the US against England and still think they will go through the group stage. England need to win later today, and should do. Argentina very impressive yesterday again, whilst the French were atrocious and look to be heading home sooner rather than later....

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/18/10 04:47 PM

Friday, 18 June 2010

FIFA World Cup

Germany 0-1 Serbia
Slovenia 2-2 USA

Thursday, 17 June 2010
FIFA World Cup

Argentina 4-1 South Korea
France 0-2 Mexico
Greece 2-1 Nigeria

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/18/10 04:48 PM

Friday, 18 June 2010
FIFA World Cup
England v Algeria, Gp C, 19:30(GMT)

Come on England..

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/18/10 06:18 PM

The U.S. wuz robbed today!

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/18/10 09:08 PM

I like guys like Cruyff, Maradona and Garrincha much more as 'icons' or 'characters' but Pelé was the best by a fair share. of course it was another era. he was the only one with the shape of a player of today, sometimes playing against semi-amateur opponents, but what did he do? he kicked their asses and won everything and scored over 1000 goals, no one else did it at ant other time.

The cuantity of goals doesn`t make you a better player, by the way Pelé had high qualified players with him. Pelé was the best player ever until Maradona had come to Argentina, Maradona was the best by far in his team, he was almost the only player playing in a 11 player team. He had to do everything on his own. And Maradona is regarded as the best player ever, second Pelé. And remember you told us although you are from Brazil you like Maradona more than Pelé. Maradona is too far from being an "icon" or "character", he skipped 5 english players and made a goal in Mexico 86 and it is regarded as the best goal ever. And don´t forget the "hand of God". wink

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/18/10 09:14 PM

Originally Posted By: dontomasso

How on earth did you select Maradonna as a manager?

Alfio Basile failed as a Coach. Maradona is the current coach, not the manager. The manager of Argentina is Bilardo, the former coach of Argentina in Mexico 1986(Argentina Champion) and Italy 1990(Argentina Subchampion).

Maradona found many difficulties playing before this World Cup, however Diego Maradona finds the right team and we are doing fine and we trust we can win this World Cup, if we lose in the Semifinal, it doesn´t matter because it would mean he made a great job. This year we can do it better.

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/18/10 09:23 PM

As for Maradona, he's not a good tactician. Argentina will be undone quite easily against a stronger, more balanced team, such as Germany.

Yes, we know he is not a good coach but somehow we found a great team for this World Cup. By the way, have you seen England? grin England has to change the goal keeper right now! He had the worst goal ever against USA... England couldn´t beat ARGELIA!!! eek England has 2 matches draw and now depends on the rest of the teams. England has showed a low level performance today and the Prince Harry(I think he was)was bored in the Stadium. And Germany lost against...SERBIA!!! I know he beat Australia 4-0, but it`s Germany, it was expected as England was expected to beat Argelia...But don´t worry there is a worst case, France...Former Champion in France 1998 and lost the 2 matches this World Cup.

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/18/10 09:26 PM

By the way...

ARGENTINA IS STRONG! South Korea lost 4-1, the first goal was an own goal of South Korea, the next 3 goals were made by Higuain...

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/18/10 09:49 PM

England was awful and its not looking good for us..

BTW- France have only lost one game this WC smile

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/19/10 04:34 PM

Argelia delivered a fine performance yesterday, some say they might even win this tournament.
That would be so great for the Argenials!

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/19/10 09:15 PM

Saturday, 19 June 2010
FIFA World Cup

Cameroon 1-2 Denmark
Ghana 1-1 Australia
Netherlands 1-0 Japan

Friday, 18 June 2010

FIFA World Cup

England 0-0 Algeria
Germany 0-1 Serbia
Slovenia 2-2 USA

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/20/10 11:10 AM

Sunday, 20 June 2010

FIFA World Cup

Brazil v Ivory Coast, Gp G, 19:30
Italy v New Zealand, Gp F, 15:00
Slovakia v Paraguay, Gp F, 12:30
Posted By: Longneck

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/20/10 05:19 PM

How can there be so many ties!?

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/20/10 06:32 PM

Because a goal isn't as easily scored as a touchdown might be in American football or a basket is in basketball, and because goals don't count for different points according to where it was shot from.

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/20/10 06:56 PM

Because a goal isn't as easily scored as a touchdown might be in American football or a basket is in basketball, and because goals don't count for different points according to where it was shot from.

What he is saying is that the NFL sucks, especially Colts fans. tongue

There are no ties in the elimination rounds right?

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/21/10 01:48 AM

lol

if there were ties they wouldn't be the elimination rounds lol lol

overtime and penalty kicks, man!

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/21/10 03:02 AM

lol

if there were ties they wouldn't be the elimination rounds lol lol

overtime and penalty kicks, man!

Well they could have a tiebreaker, something stupid like goalie saves or whatever. grin The fact that a match can end on penalty kicks is a bit of a joke as well.

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/21/10 02:49 PM

yeah it's a shame when a tournament is decided on penalty kicks. it feels like whoever won didn't fully deserve it and who lost could've won just as well.

we've seen 2 of the past 4 World Cups end on penalties and in that tournament I don't see a way to fix it. you just can't play another match again and again until someone win. in other tournaments there are good ways to avoid the penalties like away goals in elmination rounds when teams play back-to-back games.

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/21/10 04:14 PM

Sunday, 20 June 2010
FIFA World Cup

Brazil 3-1 Ivory Coast
Italy 1-1 New Zealand
Slovakia 0-2 Paraguay

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/21/10 04:15 PM

Monday, 21 June 2010

FIFA World Cup

Chile 1-0 Switzerland
Portugal 7-0 North Korea

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/21/10 04:15 PM

Monday, 21 June 2010

FIFA World Cup

Spain v Honduras, Gp H, 19:30(GMT)

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/21/10 04:37 PM

Not looking good for Italia ohwell.

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/21/10 05:03 PM

what are you talking about?

according to their standars, they're right on track to winning it all wink

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/21/10 05:15 PM

In 1982 when they won it they drew there first three games.. Don't think they will though.

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/21/10 05:45 PM

Originally Posted By: DE NIRO
In 1982 when they won it they drew there first three games.. Don't think they will though.

My old neighborhood was INSANE that day. You'd think you were in Rome in the middle of the East Bronx lol.

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/21/10 07:18 PM

I can imagine.. wink
Posted By: Don Sicilia

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/21/10 08:43 PM

Just saw the little icon... Happy Birthday, DE NIRO!

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/21/10 09:16 PM

Thank you DS,I haven't got my own thread for my birthday this year... smile

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/21/10 09:55 PM

Monday, 21 June 2010

FIFA World Cup

Spain 2 v 0 Honduras, Gp H

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/22/10 05:14 PM

South Africa eliminated France 2-1 but became first host country in history of World Cup not to advance. Evidently the speech by French sports minister Roselyne Bachelot which supposedly left some players in tears was not enough. Presumably there will a price to pay for this early elimination when they get back to France...

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/22/10 06:24 PM

it wasn't worse than 2002 when they were knocked out in the groups stage without scoring a goal. they may have shamed the country but overall France is among the most succesfull national team of past times.

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/22/10 09:05 PM

Tuesday, 22 June 2010
FIFA World Cup

France 1-2 South Africa
Greece 0-2 Argentina
Mexico 0-1 Uruguay
Nigeria 2-2 South Korea

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/22/10 09:26 PM

VAMOS VAMOS ARGENTINA!!! I saw the match at Law School where I study at! We shouted the 2 goals! Demichelis and Palermo, the one who made the "argentinian miracle".
We are facing Mexico on Sunday.
Against all the predictions which beat the argentinian team, we are doing fine... European teams are having hard times but Portugal...

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/22/10 09:31 PM

Remember you dont win the WC in the group stages so calm down smile Argentina always look strong in the groups but they struggle in knock out stages.. Brazil to win it wink

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/22/10 09:38 PM

Come on! Don´t wet our party! Brazil has won 5 WC, it is enough, not this year. By the way, this is the Last World Cup because the world is supposed to end in 2012...Haha!

They struggle? Ehhh, what about England now? Hahaha... They may face a lotery... I would be worried...Haha!

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/22/10 09:49 PM

We'll get through the group and lose on penalties.. smile

BTW-Im loving Maradona's sideline antics..
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/23/10 02:01 AM

My husband was in Germany on business last week, and he loved the World Cup fever. The bars were crazy with fans and he really had a great time.

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/23/10 04:40 PM

ANYONE WHO WATCHED TODAY'S USA-ALGERIA MATCH HAS WORLD CUP FEVER!

USA USA USA USA USA

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/23/10 05:49 PM

Absolutely! I was about to go into deep depression with another blown call on a goal by the U.S. Dramatic win!

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/23/10 07:30 PM

England have finally arrived at the world cup.. Final here we come.. wink

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/23/10 07:43 PM

ANYONE WHO WATCHED TODAY'S USA-ALGERIA MATCH HAS WORLD CUP FEVER!

and beware of future emotions. if Germany locks up 1st place in their group one team out of Uruguay, South Korea, Serbia and USA is going to the semifinals against Brazil (posibly :P).

it's a once in a lifetime chance to go that far but I believe Uruguay is most suited to reach the semis. actually I think I'm rooting for them!

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/23/10 08:50 PM

Well its England v Germany in the next round and we know how that game will end up..

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/23/10 09:47 PM

Wednesday, 23 June 2010
FIFA World Cup

Australia 2-1 Serbia
Ghana 0-1 Germany
Slovenia 0-1 England
USA 1-0 Algeria

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/23/10 09:48 PM

Thursday, 24 June 2010
FIFA World Cup

Paraguay v New Zealand, Gp F, 15:00
Slovakia v Italy, Gp F, 15:00
Cameroon v Netherlands, Gp E, 19:30
Denmark v Japan, Gp E, 19:30

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/24/10 01:38 PM

After a slow start England finally get going. Germany next but that's nothing to worry about. Franz Beckenbaur and his sarcastic comments about England all the time are all the motivation we will need to shove those words right back up his arse tongue

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/24/10 08:55 PM

Argentina haven't been tested yet. Mexico have every reason to be very confident going into a match against them.

I'd fancy the USA against Uruguay too - barring Japan I don't think I've seen a team work as hard and get a reward for it. And if the USA getting to the semi finals boosts the sport over there, I'm all for it.

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/24/10 09:03 PM

Thursday, 24 June 2010

FIFA World Cup
Cameroon 1-2 Netherlands
Denmark 1-3 Japan
Paraguay 0-0 New Zealand
Slovakia 3-2 Italy

Italy have been eliminated.

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/24/10 09:04 PM

Friday, 25 June 2010
FIFA World Cup

North Korea v Ivory Coast, Gp G, 15:00
Portugal v Brazil, Gp G, 15:00
Chile v Spain, Gp H, 19:30
Switzerland v Honduras, Gp H, 19:30

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/25/10 07:28 PM

Perhaps strangest was the incident in the mixed zone immediately after the U.S.-Algeria match. Algeria defender Rafik Saifi simply walked over and slapped Asma Halimi, an Algerian journalist. She, in turn, hit him back, scratching his nose.

The two have a history, as the blog Sports by Brooks details, reaching back to when Halimi reported that Saifi was set to marry a French woman — news that Saifi was trying to conceal in Algeria, where such a union might not play well among some anti-French elements of the populace.

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/25/10 09:10 PM

Argentina haven't been tested yet. Mexico have every reason to be very confident going into a match against them.

I'd fancy the USA against Uruguay too - barring Japan I don't think I've seen a team work as hard and get a reward for it. And if the USA getting to the semi finals boosts the sport over there, I'm all for it.

I trust Argentina faces England in quarters. By the way, Mexico can win. Strong teams like France and Italy are out, so nothing can take me by surprise...

We must win...However England has to defeat Germany...It is a dangerous match... lol

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/25/10 09:29 PM

Friday, 25 June 2010

FIFA World Cup
Chile 1-2 Spain
North Korea 0-3 Ivory Coast
Portugal 0-0 Brazil
Switzerland 0-0 Honduras

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/26/10 01:08 PM

Saturday, 26 June 2010

FIFA World Cup

Uruguay v South Korea, 16R, 15:00
USA v Ghana, 16R, 19:30

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/26/10 06:01 PM

Saturday, 26 June 2010
FIFA World Cup

Uruguay 2-1 South Korea

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/26/10 11:23 PM

Saturday, 26 June 2010
FIFA World Cup
Uruguay 2-1 South Korea
USA 1-2 Ghana (After Extra Time)

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/27/10 09:18 AM

Sunday, 27 June 2010
FIFA World Cup

Germany v England, 16R, 15:00
Argentina v Mexico, 16R, 19:30

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/27/10 03:05 PM

oh my god! as awful as your English Team is, you just got robbed!

everybody saw that ball deep into the goal, I guess the referee wants to make up for 1966!
Posted By: ronnierocketAGO

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/27/10 05:48 PM

Robbed? England lost by 3 goals. One blown call wouldn't have mattered. Sorry but the Germans marched over them like Poland.

Man if I was in a bad mood, I would so dick Capo over yet another denial of Cup glory. But for some reason this just doesn't feel worth it. I refuse to believe it, but perhaps it does pertain back to USA losing despite all the hype.

On the other hand, wouldn't it be cool if Ghana did somehow pull it off and win it all? God knows I can't give a shit if Argentina or Brazil or Germany win it. Again.

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/27/10 09:12 PM

Sorry Capo, Yogi, De Niro, etc...It seems we don´t face each other this year...USA, well, not this year, although I have to admit the american team is getting better...

ARGENTINA DEFEATED MEXICO!!! NOW WE FACE GERMANY AGAIN IN QUARTERS!!! We lost against Germany in quarters in 2006...We are looking for Revenge!

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/27/10 09:51 PM

I posted at halftime wink anyway that call was absurd as well as Argentina's first goal. them sorry referees started off well but we've seen at least 3 game changing mistakes in the last week (add Luis Fabiano's hand dribble to today's gaffes)

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/28/10 06:09 PM

Monday, 28 June 2010
FIFA World Cup
Netherlands 2-1 Slovakia

Sunday, 27 June 2010

FIFA World Cup
Argentina 3-1 Mexico
Germany 4-1 England

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/28/10 07:03 PM

Had Lampard's clearly, unarguably legitimate goal been allowed, maybe 2-2 at half-time would have really changed the game around and maybe we would have gone on and beaten Germany. But once the dust settles and the transparency of excuses have been exposed, what of the absolute shambles that allowed us to go 2-0 behind in the first place? I wrote this elsewhere:

Hahaha, so much can be said, and has been said and should have been said, about yesterday's performance. Though I wouldn't take anything away from the Germans, we did make them look very dangerous - more so than they are, I think. We were quite simply terrible. It was numbing at the time, but in retrospect it's quite surreal how badly we actually played.

Glen Johnson was absolutely atrocious yesterday; he's had a bad tournament overall. Terry was atrocious too; didn't work well with Upson at all. Ashley Cole was overall our best player in the tournament, for me. Very solid. Let down badly by the other three yesterday; he didn't play well. Gareth Barry's had a woeful tournament; quite simply failed in the one thing he was meant to do - cover the centre backs and hold the midfield to give others creative allowance...

...Gerrard seemed lost yesterday; he's not a left winger, and should never have been even considered to play there for this tournament. Shocking. Milner was our most dangerous attacking threat yesterday - he undone the Germans a few times, but nobody met his crosses; I still rate him - our second best player of the tournament maybe, along with James?

Defoe didn't really do much; Rooney was shite too.

Lampard's continued selection baffles me - he's our most overrated regular by far. Why is he our out-and-out first-choice free-kick taker? But for hitting the bar yesterday, he hasn't once threatened the goal from a free kick. The confidence with which he seems to place the ball down every time we have a decently-placed free-kick annoyed me all tournament - since when has he even been known to take good free-kicks? Beckham used to literally cross the ball into the net - I don't see why Milner couldn't attempt the same. Anything but Lampard's silly efforts to look like a serious danger. He offered nothing all tournament.

I didn't realise until today that Capello will be paid £12million if he's sacked - that was part of his renewed contract that he signed two weeks before the tournament. £12million. No wonder he's adamant on not quitting!

The only reason I can come up with for him to stay around is that any successor will inevitably and unavoidably go through the same cyclical process of media hysteria and ultimate career-death; the job's a suicide. Unless our next manager doesn't come with a 'reputation of success': go more modest, I say. And certainly English - for communication reasons, firstly and lastly.

Capello's substitutions were hilarious yesterday. Bringing Joe Cole on for Milner - a straight swap! - was incredible; bringing Heskey on for Defoe at 3-1 down is frankly embarrassing. Peter Crouch is the only one who has consistently performed at international level for England; his complete absence this tournament in favour of Heskey is very baffling. Barry had a honeymoon period when he first came into the squad of being our saviour, our final ingredient, etc. When his place became unquestioned, he seemed to lose his hunger. Lampard The Sequel. Proper jokes. The whole thing was topped off nicely by the appearance of Capello's magic, leg-pulling final straw: Shaun Wright-Phillips.

Tactically, Capello's England were abysmal throughout this tournament. I really do think we would have gone a lot further under a different manager.

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/28/10 07:06 PM

Brazil-Spain final maybe?

Nobody passes as well as Spain do, and Dunga seems to have set his team up for the precise purpose of defeating Spain, the most effortlessly attacking team in the world right now. Would be a good match.

Before then, though, we got Portugal-Spain to look forward to in this round, and then the quarter final match of an as-yet-untested Argentina versus a very promising and confident Germany.

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/28/10 07:09 PM

Oh, and the Uruguayan officials of yesterday's game should never officiate another competitive international match in their life. Domestic league games or friendlies only.

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/29/10 05:39 AM

Oh, and the Uruguayan officials of yesterday's game should never officiate another competitive international match in their life. Domestic league games or friendlies only.

Why is FIFA being such silly pricks about refusing instant replay for such questionable goalline incidents?

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/29/10 06:48 AM

the annoying thing is they wont even comment on the incidents, as they know they where shocking.

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/29/10 06:12 PM

Tuesday, 29 June 2010
FIFA World Cup
Paraguay 0-0 Japan (Paraguay win 5-3 on penalties)

Monday, 28 June 2010

FIFA World Cup
Brazil 3-0 Chile
Netherlands 2-1 Slovakia

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/29/10 07:11 PM

I have watched a few of the games involving Spanish speaking countries on Univision. If you know a little Spanish it is not that tough to follow, but even if you do not, the announcers are such maniacs that it sweeps you away. Plus there is nothing like the call

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/29/10 10:40 PM

Brazil-Spain final maybe?

Nobody passes as well as Spain do, and Dunga seems to have set his team up for the precise purpose of defeating Spain, the most effortlessly attacking team in the world right now. Would be a good match.

Before then, though, we got Portugal-Spain to look forward to in this round, and then the quarter final match of an as-yet-untested Argentina versus a very promising and confident Germany.

We are in quarters(England isn´t) and you still regard Argentina as "untested"? rolleyes

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/29/10 10:44 PM

I posted at halftime wink anyway that call was absurd as well as Argentina's first goal. them sorry referees started off well but we've seen at least 3 game changing mistakes in the last week (ass Luis Fabiano's hand dribble to today's gaffes)
Actually the first goal of Tevez was not that absurd as you say. It was not Offside and I can prove it. Here you have...

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/29/10 11:03 PM

We are in quarters(England isn´t) and you still regard Argentina as "untested"? rolleyes
I do, yeah. Whether or not England are in the tournament at this stage has no bearing on whether or not Argentina have been tested yet.

Germany will be their first real test; it's a very difficult one to call. I'll say the Germans are better organised than Argentina from what I've seen of both sides. Argentina's attacking force is formidable, though. Messi literally looks like he could run riot through a defence every time he's on the ball, whatever the situation. Higuaín's on fire and Tevez is finding form now too...

Should be a good game!

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/30/10 12:55 AM

I posted at halftime wink anyway that call was absurd as well as Argentina's first goal. them sorry referees started off well but we've seen at least 3 game changing mistakes in the last week (add Luis Fabiano's hand dribble to today's gaffes)
Actually the first goal of Tevez was not that absurd as you say. It was not Offside and I can prove it. Here you have...

oh yeah now I see... who woulda thought that with all the cameras they have nowadays they would miss that angle!

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/30/10 12:57 AM

I do, yeah. Whether or not England are in the tournament at this stage has no bearing on whether or not Argentina have been tested yet.

do you really wanna talk reason to an argentinian? lol

by the way which team do you root for Don Pappo? (don't tell me it's Estudiantes because I'll laugh so hard...)

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/30/10 03:01 AM

Tony - Don't mind Capo, he just never got over the Hand of God. tongue

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/30/10 06:05 PM

Germany will be their first real test; it's a very difficult one to call. I'll say the Germans are better organised than Argentina from what I've seen of both sides. Argentina's attacking force is formidable, though. Messi literally looks like he could run riot through a defence every time he's on the ball, whatever the situation. Higuaín's on fire and Tevez is finding form now too...

Should be a good game!
This time Messi is gonna face Germany, he was out against them in 2006... This is our revenge, we must win. We are pretty afraid about this, but however we are in quarters although we may lose...Remember we were almost out of the World Cup. smile

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/30/10 06:08 PM

do you really wanna talk reason to an argentinian? lol

by the way which team do you root for Don Pappo? (don't tell me it's Estudiantes because I'll laugh so hard...)
What about reason to an argentinian? Nothing to reason about Number one: Maradona Number two: P... Cannigia! grin

I run for Huracan, it is a small team wich won only one tournament in 1973 and we almost won the last year when Velez Sarsfield was the champion. Bolatti and Pastore played in Huracan the last year.

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 06/30/10 06:09 PM

I don´t remember...Who of this forum is from Germany?

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 07/01/10 09:32 AM

Since the US is out I guess I must root for Paraguay

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 07/01/10 12:05 PM

By the gods England were awful and deserved to go home.

The best teams are still in there. Anyone of them can win it. Get ready for penalty shoot outs and lots of grown men weeping tongue
Posted By: Mark

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 07/01/10 05:12 PM

Yogi,Bam is a Chicago Cubs fan...he is a grown man and he doesn't have to wait every 5 years to start weeping at a sporting event. Cub fans start weeping after every opening day and continue through the end of September...then its followed up with a; "Wait until next year!" proclomation.

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 07/02/10 09:27 AM

Ah but Mark, my club side is Newcastle so i know how BAM feels. I regularly weep at my teams misfortunes panic

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 07/02/10 10:15 PM

Friday, 2 July 2010

FIFA World Cup

Netherlands 2-1 Brazil
Uruguay 1-1 Ghana (Uruguay win 4-2 on penalties)

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 07/03/10 01:11 PM

Brazil is out! I am sorry Tony!!! Nah....

So is Ghana... With the Suarez`s "Hand of God"...

Today we are facing the fuherer!

It is our honor, our proud we are playing for...

It is our revenge we are looking for...

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 07/03/10 01:48 PM

I am rooting for Uruguay anyway tongue

nice games yesterday and Dunga's ways came back to bite him in the ass. it was a weird game and Brazil sunshine-funtime-happy ways under Dunga tenure had to end sometime. it was mostly luck and nerves than anything. I believe this is the weakest Holland team Brazil has ever faced in the World Cup. I like 94' and 98' teams much much better but this might be the one with the better results and posibly a World Cup trophy to show for.

as for the Uruguay-Ghana game, it was one of the most exciting finishes to a game I have ever seen. Uruguay delights me and if they somehow reach a final against Argentina rather than Spain or Germany they could pull the miracle off. and if Ghana's goalkeeper had watched the Campeonato Carioca's 2010 Final game he would know how to handle that last penalt kick by "El Loco" Abreu. that guy is crazy!

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 07/03/10 01:52 PM

I run for Huracan, it is a small team wich won only one tournament in 1973 and we almost won the last year when Velez Sarsfield was the champion. Bolatti and Pastore played in Huracan the last year.

yes I know Huracan. with the way Boca and River are playing in past years at least you should be excited about being at best odds to winnig a championship now.

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 07/03/10 04:07 PM

Deutschland 4-0!

Klose is close to becoming World Cup's all time greatest scorer. wow!

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 07/03/10 04:40 PM

Buh bye, Argentina tongue.

Just kidding, Tony & Don Pappo. I was actually kind of rooting for them. I had cousins that lived in Argentina for awhile, en route to making it to America from Italy. That wasn't at all uncommon after Ellis Island was shut down.

Anyway, better luck in 2014 smile.

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 07/03/10 06:16 PM

Looks like Capo was right about Argentina being untested up to this point.

You guys know better than I do, but it seems Germany would be the favorite to win out, right?

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 07/03/10 06:21 PM

I hope Spain wins it now.

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 07/03/10 06:53 PM

Just kidding, Tony & Don Pappo. I was actually kind of rooting for them. I had cousins that lived in Argentina for awhile, en route to making it to America from Italy. That wasn't at all uncommon after Ellis Island was shut down.

Pretty hard...The world is supposed to end in 2012...Thanks anyway...Haha!

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 07/03/10 06:54 PM

Well, it seems our proud is still hurt...
We are going home...

I think Spain, Uruguay or Holland could win...

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 07/03/10 07:06 PM

The Mayans have a fútbol team? lol

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 07/03/10 09:36 PM

germany 4 argentina 0, spain 1 paraquay 0

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 07/04/10 11:12 AM

Germany looking awesome, but any one of them could win it now!

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 07/04/10 06:35 PM

Germany were indeed awesome yesterday, and the way they've played all tournament, I wouldn't begrudge them another title. They've certainly played the best football out of anybody. Excellent stuff.

How much will the Germans miss Mueller against Spain?

Schweinsteiger, Sneijder and David Villa have been the players of the tournament for me.

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 07/06/10 09:15 PM

The Mayans have a fútbol team? lol

Yes, Mexico. We beat them in 2006 and this World Cup. The Mayas believe the only way to beat Argentina is destroying the world! grin

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 07/06/10 09:16 PM

Uruguay lost against Holland 3-2 Holland to final match.
Posted By: M.M. Floors

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 07/08/10 07:47 AM

At least we are still in the game!VIVA LA DUTCH!

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 07/08/10 09:30 AM

Good final in store, plus we will get a new name on the trophy. Nice to have a different side win it cool

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 07/08/10 06:17 PM

wow nobody to root against, which wouldn't be the case if Deutchland didn't blow it.

The Dutch versus the Spanish, two former global imperial/economical superpowers...

I dunno, the Dutch winning would be so random. So I with them. Plus that one Dutch pornstar is promising a free knob polish to all her twitter followers if the Dutch win.
Posted By: Danito

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 07/10/10 07:49 AM

Original geschrieben von: Don Pappo Napolitano
I don´t remember...Who of this forum is from Germany?

I am.

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 07/10/10 08:57 AM

Saturday's matches
Uruguay v Germany Kick-off 19:30 BST 3rd/4th place play off

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 07/11/10 01:03 AM

Saturday's matches
Uruguay 2 v 3 Germany Kick-off 19:30 BST 3rd/4th place play off

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 07/12/10 01:20 AM

Spain wins! Netherlands want to eat Paul the Octopus!

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 07/12/10 05:28 PM

Netherlands did all they could using their brute force to try to unnerve Spain. In the end they could not do it. In all sports speed and smarts will beat brute force most of the time.

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 07/12/10 09:29 PM

Well done to Spain, the best team won overall and is good for football that they won the World Cup, bring on Brazil in 2014..

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 07/12/10 09:38 PM

I think it would have been better if Germany's young'ns had won it.

Well done Spain, though; they deserved to win last night.

Re: FIFA 2010 World Cup - 07/12/10 09:58 PM

In all sports speed and smarts will beat brute force most of the time.

George Foreman said he wishes you had pointed that out to him BEFORE his 1974 fight with Ali... smile
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET