Home

Final days of Giants Stadium

Posted By: Just Lou

Final days of Giants Stadium - 04/19/10 06:52 PM

Drove by the stadium today, and stopped to take a few pics.

Posted By: J Geoff

Re: Final days of Giants Stadium - 04/19/10 07:17 PM

Sad. Had some good times there! ohwell

Re: Final days of Giants Stadium - 04/19/10 07:25 PM

Me too. I was at the 1st Giant Game ever played there, and about 90% of every Giants Game ever played there.

Re: Final days of Giants Stadium - 04/19/10 07:29 PM

I've only been to 1 Giants game, but saw many concerts there. wink

Re: Final days of Giants Stadium - 04/19/10 07:32 PM

I saw a few concerts too, and even briefly worked there in the early 80's.
Posted By: MaryCas

Re: Final days of Giants Stadium - 04/20/10 02:14 AM

Was it that decrepit? ....or were they caught up in the corporate box thing?

I saw a scab game there lol

Re: Final days of Giants Stadium - 04/20/10 02:36 AM

It wasn't decrepit at all. It was a great place to watch a game. It's corridors were a little narrow, and it could have used a few more mens rooms, but that was it as far as fans are concerned. The new stadium is just a money maker for ownership. Lots of luxury boxes, 'Club Seats', and of course, Personal Seat Licenses. It's sickening that John Mara can do an interview and say with a straight face in regards to the new stadium: "The fans wanted this, and deserve this". I don't know one fan that wanted a new stadium. It's a totally different situation compared to let's say Shea Stadium, where the Mets needed a new ballpark.

Re: Final days of Giants Stadium - 04/20/10 05:49 AM

And did the Mets (and Yankees for that matter) REALLY need a new ballpark?? I still don't get the total destruction of basically historic landmarks at this point. I think just about every NY/NJ team in every sport has changed venues the past/present/future couple years -- and that's just ridiculous.

Re: Final days of Giants Stadium - 04/20/10 05:58 AM

I agree with Yankee Stadium. It was a landmark. But had you gone to Shea in the last 15 years? It hurts me to say it because I had a lot of memories there, and it made me sad seeing it getting demolished, but it was an antiquated DUMP.
Posted By: Blibbleblabble

Re: Final days of Giants Stadium - 04/20/10 08:14 AM

Watching games at Shea Stadium on television was painful. The Mets really did need a new place. I can say the same for Candlestick Park. It hasn't been demolished because the 49ers still play there. But I had some of the greatest sports memories of my life in that place. But a new stadium was needed for the SF Giants. If you enjoy watching a game in the middle of a small freezing cold hurricane with one road in and out that takes 45 minutes to drive one mile then Candlestick is great.

The Yankees didn't need a new park. It almost seems like they heard the Mets were getting a new stadium and didn't want to be outdone. Now it looks like the Yankees new field is a joke. Great idea Steinbrenner's.

As far as Football... Who really cares? Old stadiums seem to fit the football lifestyle. Bad weather/conditions and the game is so much more action packed that you don't need to be entertained by the building itself. Who's sober enough to enjoy it anyway after tailgating and all that?

Re: Final days of Giants Stadium - 04/20/10 08:22 AM

It's all about $. Build a new stadium. Raise ticket prices in some sections as much as 7x. Charge PSL's to 80,000 people. The owners get richer.

Re: Final days of Giants Stadium - 04/24/10 11:36 PM

Got to visit the new stadium today, and took this picture from the top of it. Since I was there 5 days ago, about 1/3rd of the old stadium has disappeared. ohwell

The 2nd pic is the view from my news seats at the new stadium:

Re: Final days of Giants Stadium - 04/25/10 07:53 PM

Great pics as always! How'd you get in there??

Incidently, I was on the bus driving past the Meadowlands at exactly 3pm when you said you'd be there -- but I was on the E-bound side toward the Lincoln tunnel wink

iPhone, from a moving bus, at a distance, so...

And guess who I ran into at Madame Tussauds??

wink

Re: Final days of Giants Stadium - 04/25/10 07:59 PM

Get into the new stadium, or take the pic of the old stadium? They had an open house for season ticket holders at the new stadium. The pic of the old stadium was taken from the last row of the upper deck of the new stadium. You can look over the top of the stadium.

Re: Final days of Giants Stadium - 04/25/10 08:00 PM

BTW, that doesn't even look like Eli. lol

Re: Final days of Giants Stadium - 06/16/10 02:30 AM

All that's left. frown

© 2024 GangsterBB.NET