Home

The Golf Thread

Posted By: pizzaboy

The Golf Thread - 06/22/09 05:09 PM

Why don't we have a golf thread?

Well, we do now.

Re: The Golf Thread - 06/22/09 05:20 PM

Does Mickelson ever get tired of coming in second at the US Open?

Well, congrats to Lucas Glover, a qualifier, a la "Tin Cup," for winning the US Open.
Posted By: Fame

Re: The Golf Thread - 06/24/09 01:28 AM

Golf thread? GOLF thread? WTF? Who the hell cares about golf?

I do.

Well it's too bad for Lefty. Tho I'm sure he'll win it eventually. Looks like everyone wanted to see him winning this year because of the wife story. I hope she'll get better soon, but I doubt she's too upset about him not keeping his promise...more like she just wanted to give him a lil more motivation to win it. And dont foregt about the crowd. The crowd needs a story. There's just so much you can hear about John Daly's drinking habits.

As for Tiger...I'm not so worried about him. I still think he's the best, and I'm sure he'll win a few more majors in the future. Maybe even more than a few.
Posted By: MaryCas

Re: The Golf Thread - 06/30/09 04:52 PM

Nice win for Kenny Perry in Connecticut. It shows you don't have to be pumped or young to excel on the PGA.

Re: The Golf Thread - 07/06/09 10:43 PM

Was someone worried about Tiger? lol

Well, that was win number 68 for him on the PGA Tour. He needs 5 to tie Jack and 14 to tie Sam Snead. And he's still only 33 years old.

Oh yeah. He's already the greatest.
Posted By: Don Sicilia

Re: The Golf Thread - 07/06/09 11:07 PM

Great performance by Tiger yesterday... One of the commentators yesterday mentioned that Tiger has a 95% closing rate (ultimately winning after holding the 3-round lead) and the next highest was Phil Mickelson who was around 75%? If they kept the stat, I wonder what Jack's and Arnold's closing rates were as their careers progressed.

Re: The Golf Thread - 07/09/09 04:35 PM

If that was Phil on Sunday, he would have bogied the 16th to make it interesting. Tiger has a power of concentration that is unmatched on the course. I think Jack had it in his day. Arnie was a little more like Phil. I was hoping that Phil would make the trip to England. Bummer about his wife and then last week they announced that his mom has the same thing.

I'd like to see Poulter make a run at the British. He is due.
Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas

Re: The Golf Thread - 07/09/09 04:43 PM

Poulter is a good player.

We are currently getting the Womens US open from somewhere in Pennsylvania on TV.

Not watching much of it cos i am watching the cricket on the other channel.

Re: The Golf Thread - 07/16/09 01:41 AM

Go Duval! You have no personality, but it would be a great comeback story.

Re: The Golf Thread - 07/16/09 04:45 PM

Incredible, Tom Watson shoots a 65. He said the course was tame; no wind. He had 5 birdies, hit 12/14 fairways and his driving distance was 299 to the fields 281. Wow! Can he keep that up.

Re: The Golf Thread - 07/16/09 04:55 PM

Unreal. He'll be 60 in September.

It would be the golf story of the century.

Re: The Golf Thread - 07/17/09 01:20 AM

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Unreal. He'll be 60 in September.

It would be the golf story of the century.

I'll be 60 in November and I would shoot a 65 at Turnberry on the front 9 lol

How about John Daly. Love his clothes. I'd love to see him win. The guy's life has been one fuckup after another. He recently had lap (?) surgery to lose weight. He is trying.

Re: The Golf Thread - 07/17/09 01:33 PM

Looks like Harrington may miss the cut?

And Poulter is having a nightmare!

Re: The Golf Thread - 07/17/09 05:43 PM

Oh. My. God.

Almost 60 year old Tom Watson is tied for the lead at 5 under going into "moving day" (Round 3). If he's still there after tomorrow's round (and I really believe he will be), the wheels are going to come off this thing. See, older guys can still be very competetive on a links golf course. Remember Greg Norman last year? Until he turned into, well, Greg Norman, on Sunday?

And how about Tiger missing the cut?!

Watson's playing with house money. He was my favorite golfer when I was growing up. God, I hope he wins.

Re: The Golf Thread - 07/18/09 06:54 PM

Tom Watson has the 54 hole lead at the British Open. This is history making. I mean, he's 60 years old! Does anyone realize what it means for a 60 year old man to have a chance at winning a major sporting event? Especially a Major Championship in golf?

It means that maybe "Rocky Balboa" wasn't so far fetched.

God, I hope he wins!

Re: The Golf Thread - 07/20/09 01:23 PM

I was rooting for Watson and he almost did it. Great showing, though.
Posted By: dontomasso

Re: The Golf Thread - 07/20/09 01:23 PM

Tom Watson has the 54 hole lead at the British Open. This is history making. I mean, he's 60 years old! Does anyone realize what it means for a 60 year old man to have a chance at winning a major sporting event? Especially a Major Championship in golf?

It means that maybe "Rocky Balboa" wasn't so far fetched.

God, I hope he wins!

Nope. He choked, just like he did when he was younger.

Re: The Golf Thread - 07/20/09 03:29 PM

I was rooting for Watson also.

Shame!

Re: The Golf Thread - 07/20/09 04:27 PM

From a bio on Watson:
"Watson stood up to Nicklaus on numerous occasions, one of the few golfers who consistently went toe-to-toe with Nicklaus and came out on top.

Their duel at the 1977 British Open - where Nicklaus shot 66-66 over the final two rounds, while Watson shot 66-65 to win by one - is one of the greatest head-to-head battles the sport has ever seen. Watson robbed Nicklaus of another major at the 1982 U.S. Open with his famous chip-in on the 17th hole at Pebble Beach. In fact, in four of Watson's eight major championship wins, Nicklaus was runner-up.

His final PGA Tour victory came in 1998. In 1999, he began playing on the Champions Tour. Watson was Player of the Year in 2003, but the year also was marked by sadness: his longtime caddie, Bruce Edwards, was diagnosed with Lou Gehrig's Disease. Watson co-founded an organization, Driving 4 Life, to fight ALS. He donated $1 million to the foundation, and during 2003 alone Watson helped raise nearly $3 million for ALS-related causes and other charities. "

Choked? Not even close.
Posted By: olivant

Re: The Golf Thread - 07/20/09 04:31 PM

How are handicaps determined?

Re: The Golf Thread - 07/21/09 02:00 AM

Originally Posted By: olivant
How are handicaps determined?

Handicaps for the average golfer are determined by the course rating and slope and your scores over a set number of rounds. Each course is different and course ratings are determined by the USGA (United States Golf Assoc) You establish a handicap by playing a set number of rounds of golf, reporting your score and entering the rating of the course you played. This data goes into a computer data base. After a set number of rounds played you establish a handicap. Your handicap continually changes. Then, if you enter a USGA sanctioned tournament, your current handicap is applied to your score.

Let's say you have a 14 handicap and you enter a tournament. Each hole on the course is rated; 1 is the toughest hole on the course, 18 is the easiest. As a 14 handicap, you would be allowed one stroke for the holes that are handicapped 1-14. So if you are playing someone with a 10 handicap, in effect you are receiving 4 strokes.

That is a simplified explanation. Handicaps are an attempt to "level the playing field".

Re: The Golf Thread - 07/21/09 03:28 PM

My golfing handicap in golf involves picking up the club whistle

Re: The Golf Thread - 07/21/09 04:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas

Mine is a mental handicap. confused
Posted By: olivant

Re: The Golf Thread - 07/21/09 09:30 PM

So,if handicaps are an attempt to level the playing field, what is the purpose of competition then based on one's ability?

Re: The Golf Thread - 07/22/09 01:11 AM

Originally Posted By: olivant
So,if handicaps are an attempt to level the playing field, what is the purpose of competition then based on one's ability?

Handicaps are used for the amateur golf "competitors"; not the pros. The pros do not have handicaps. They just have to win based on the number of strokes. But for the amateur to have some competitive fun the handicap system permits players of various ability to play against each other with the less skilled player having a "fighting chance" against a better player. Lets say you are a 9 handicap and I am an 18. You are on average 9 strokes better than me. We want to have a competitive match, but of course you would likely beat me. To make it more interesting and competitive, you will give me a stroke on the 9 hardest holes. So lets say in the #1 handicap hole you score a 5 and I score a 6. In the handicap system I get one stroke so I get a 5 also and we tie.

Re: The Golf Thread - 07/23/09 01:12 PM

Originally Posted By: MaryCas
Originally Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas

Mine is a mental handicap. confused

That is just a general life problem for me lol

Re: The Golf Thread - 07/25/09 09:36 PM

I just played 9 holes at my local course. I've developed a dead pull and when I try to correct it....slice. Somewhere in between is the shot and I can't find it. I had one par (3), but the last hole is a 180 yd par 3 over a pond that is snug up against the green. I finally put a tee shot on the green and then 3 putted.

Re: The Golf Thread - 07/31/09 12:59 AM

Tried again today. A little better. Managed two pars, but the pull is still there. Tried weakening the grip......maybe. Should have had a third par at the last hole but I non-chalanted a 18" putt and it did a 360 lip-out. Saw a nice long black snake too. Oh, yeah had the dreaded snowman, but was 12 over for 9. I will survive!
Posted By: SC

Re: The Golf Thread - 07/31/09 01:10 AM

Tried again today. A little better. Managed two pars, but the pull is still there.

Try rotating you right hand clockwise a bit on the grip and try getting your hips through the ball faster at impact.

Re: The Golf Thread - 08/05/09 01:39 AM

Originally Posted By: SC
Tried again today. A little better. Managed two pars, but the pull is still there.

Try rotating you right hand clockwise a bit on the grip and try getting your hips through the ball faster at impact.

Who needs David Ledbetter, I've got SC!....but I think clockwise makes the grip "stronger" which is a pull-grip. Hips are a problem; I can feel that things are out of synch. I think my balls need to be washed too. tongue

Re: The Golf Thread - 08/15/09 11:42 AM

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere's Tiger. The man is in the groove. Can someone please challenge him today to make it interesting. This is old Tiger, 4 stroke lead after Friday, could be an 8 stroke lead after today and he could win by 12 strokes.

Re: The Golf Thread - 08/15/09 01:12 PM

This is old Tiger, 4 stroke lead after Friday, could be an 8 stroke lead after today and he could win by 12 strokes.

Most golfers yell, "FORE". Tiger yells, "FOUR". rolleyes

Re: The Golf Thread - 08/16/09 11:05 PM

Tiger got caged today.
Posted By: dontommasino

Re: The Golf Thread - 08/17/09 12:29 AM

Tiger choked :0

Seriously, Y.E Wang played some great golf today.

Re: The Golf Thread - 09/23/09 11:17 AM

Senior golfer Jim Thorpe was found guilty of not paying $2mil in taxes. He can get 2 years in jail and fines up to $4.5 mil. Can you say double bogey?

Re: The Golf Thread - 03/31/10 07:56 PM

Ernie Els is looking VERY good this year. He just bacame the first player in history to win at Doral and Bay Hill in the same year. I'm giving him the edge over Tiger and making him the favorite at Augusta due to Tiger's inactivity. Jim Furyk is playing very well, so he has a shot. Phil is putting for shit, and his family problems (wife and mother BOTH battling cancer) seem to be weighing down his game. But you never know.

Re: The Golf Thread - 04/01/10 09:47 PM

I heard that Ernie has an autistic 7 year old son. They recently moved to Florida from London. Apparently their son is making much better progress in his therapy. Sportcasters hypothesize that Ernie's state of mind may be contributing to his success. I love to watch him swing the club; him and Fred Couples.

Re: The Golf Thread - 04/01/10 09:54 PM

I love to watch him swing the club; him and Fred Couples.
The two easiest swings I've ever seen, MC. Ernie recently moved to Jupiter, where they have one of the top autism clinics in the world.

Re: The Golf Thread - 04/02/10 10:54 AM

One year I tried imitating an Ernie Els swing tempo. I would set up, then in my backswing I would say to myself - I am Er-nie, then on the downswing - Elllllllssssssss. It actually worked.

Re: The Golf Thread - 04/02/10 02:54 PM

One year I tried imitating an Ernie Els swing tempo. I would set up, then in my backswing I would say to myself - I am Er-nie, then on the downswing - Elllllllssssssss. It actually worked.

What makes me in awe of Ernie's easy swing is how BIG the guy is. For such a big guy to have such an easy, almost ballet like movement, is unheard of. It reminds me of watching Darryl Strawberry swing a baseball bat as a young man.

Re: The Golf Thread - 04/02/10 09:57 PM

The Driving Range. There is a pro/teacher who insists it should be referred to as "The Practice Tee or Range" because we should be practicing more shots than just the drive. If you take out the par 3s, we only drive on 14 holes. So that's 14 out of.....100 shots whistle. If you realize that par on a course consists of 36 putts, which should we practice more? I know for me chips are my downfall and I don't practice those enough. When I'm at the Practice Tee I usually hit 5,7,P irons and the driver.

Re: The Golf Thread - 04/12/10 12:08 AM

Great Masters as usual. It is one of my favorite TV sporting events. Phil is a great champion. Westwood will have his day, maybe at this year's Open. I was pulling for Freddie. I've always enjoyed watching him; but they say the first thing to go is the putting. He had his chances.

Re: The Golf Thread - 04/12/10 04:37 PM

You're right MC - it was a great Masters. Phil's shot from the woods on the par 5 yesterday to get it on in 2 was an amazing shot. Too bad he missed the eagle put. Golf-wise, I'm glad Tiger's back because I think it puts a little spring in at least some of these golfers' steps.

Re: The Golf Thread - 04/13/10 01:27 AM

DS, I was never a Tiger fan, but I am an admirer. He has incredible talent, but I'm not sure if he has a soul. He may be a droid of some type. My golfers have to have a heart, not just a libido. I've always loved Freddie C., Phil is OK. I like Anthony Kim and Ian Poulter. They show some fire and personality. Even Camilo Villegas is fun to watch and cheer for. And Natalie Gulbis!...oops, sorry, I digress.

Re: The Golf Thread - 04/13/10 02:34 PM

Gulbis is adorable, MC. She can play a little golf, too whistle. But I'm an Annika man.

I love Freddy. I was rooting for him big time; he just ran out of gas.

I agree that Phil is "OK." This was a great story, so I'm glad he won this week. I empathize with him and I know EXACTLY what he's going through with his wife and Mom. But I'm not a big fan of his. He always struck me as kind of phony with that goofy grin and plodding Herman Munster-like walk.

Don't forget, he's 5 years older than Tiger and hit the PGA full time in '92, so he was out there awhile pre-Tiger. In those days he wasn't the media friendly guy with the shit-eating goofy grin on his face that you see today. In other words, he could afford to be rude back then.

Once Tiger came along and stole the spotlight, with his greater talent and Iceman type of golf ethic, only then did Phil adopt this cuddly personality. He did it to win fans back from Tiger, and it worked. He knew he'd never get the fans adulation on talent alone, so I give him credit for that realization.

I just have no idea when he's being sincere (although I'm sure he was VERY sincere this weekend), and no idea when that goofy smile is just for the cameras.

Plus, he should get a haircut lol.

Re: The Golf Thread - 04/18/10 02:02 AM

what about golf announcers.....I like Nantz (CBS), Hicks (NBC) and Tirico.? ESPN/ABC for "play-by-play" They are all balanced with their reporting. Its the "color" guys and girls that can be a bit off. Recently Nick Faldo has been great. He is blends a nice personal touch with insight. Gary McCord and David Fehrety are a bit too theatrical. I can take Fehrety, but not too much McCord. Overall, not too many are offensive or off the wall. I do miss Ken Venturi.

Re: The Golf Thread - 04/18/10 05:35 PM

MC,

Nantz has a great "booming" voice, doesn't he? Kinda like Chris Berman's.

But I used to like him a lot more. Now I've been as hard on Tiger as anyone but I hate hearing Nantz play the morality card. He likes to pass himself off as an uber conservative Christian, and he's played the morals police while covering Tiger more than once. Yet the fact is, he just left his wife of over 20 years for a woman half his age. In my book that makes him a hypocrite.

Fun fact: the judge gave his wife a HUGE settlement of almost a million per year as long as she never remarries. Hey, who needs a piece of paper, right? lol

I can't stand Johnny Miller, either. He was a tremendous talent as a young golfer but was a terrible underachiever. He only won 2 majors, yet he rags on Phil time and again for "only" winning 4 (including last week's Masters).

Love Feherty and McCord, and I'd pay big money to play a round of golf and shake Nick Faldo's hand. A great announcer. A superior golfer. 6 majors to his credit and you never hear his name mentioned with the greats of his era (post-Nicklaus, pre-Tiger). Ridiculous. I say he was better than Greg Norman any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Hate Dottie Pepper. She shouldn't be covering men. Yeah, I said it tongue lol.

Re: The Golf Thread - 04/20/10 02:20 AM

I read Nantz book (can't remember the title), great antecdotes, especially about his roommate Freddie Couples. Good read overall. Don't know the story of his marriage break up. I think all announcer have to have the ego going. They need to create a larger than life image; know all, see all. Interesting profession.

Re: The Golf Thread - 06/17/10 07:29 PM

Watching Mickelson miss two foot puts at the U.S. Open is getting kind of old. It's painful to watch.
Posted By: Frosty

Re: The Golf Thread - 02/24/12 05:42 PM

Out on my strole this morning on the board here. I came across this topic, it drew me in ! wink While getting ready for the babeball season to get going. I also love golf. My game sucks, but it is fun to watch and play. Got sick of it when Tiger Woods did his horndog act. But whats done is done. So how many of you folks play and what kind of clubs you use ? I picked up a Nicklaus Brass Ring putter. He head on this is the sise of a spaceship, but it has a super feel and just playing with it I like it. Alot of my buds really like theres , not much for distance. Average cost $200.00 bills , but I gotta deal I couldn't refuse cool

Re: The Golf Thread - 02/24/12 05:54 PM

I just upgraded two weeks ago for the first time in almost three years. I went with Cleveland straight across the board. CG Black driver and fairway woods. CG16 irons (3-pw + aw/sw). And a Cleveland VP milled blade putter. Total cost was $1,500, but they threw in a new Cleveland stand bag. I've been to the range about five times already (the weather has been unseasonably warm all winter here in New York), but I can't wait to try them out in Florida next month smile.

Re: The Golf Thread - 02/24/12 06:15 PM

This has been such a great year to get out and play some golf, when the we usually are doing other things, not going to bring them up lol. Clevelands are great clubs, I am sure that you will enjoy them. I just have some old Jack Nicklaus , Golden Bear clubs that I have had for some years now. I did have a really nice set of King Cobra's, that my X put in the lake eek That hurt.

But the game is alot of fun. If you take it for a game. Florida , that, would be sweet I am sure you will enjoy. Now is a good time to do shopping on golf items , good time of the year ! And a good time to buy on sale items .

Re: The Golf Thread - 02/25/12 04:12 PM

The past two years my golf playing has really dwindle. Financials and caring for the twins were the likely excuse. Didn't mind taking care of the twins, but this year I hope to get back in the swing.

My clubs are a hodge podge collection. Driver-Nike 460 Sumo; 3 Wood-Nike SQ; Taylor Made Rescue 3 (it was a gift, I would have preferred a 5); 7 Wood, Callaway knockoff called a Calcutta (my favorite club); MacGregor irons 5,6,7,8,9,PW (old); then 3 clubs I made from kits (Maltby) putter that looks like a Ping, Slippery Frog for around the green or low shots under trees (where I usually find my ball) and a Sand Putter, suppose to use out of the bunker, but for me its good inside 50 yards. OH, and another gift club - Cleveland SW 56 degree. May player partners always try to challenge my clubs as illegal, but they aren't and there are 14.

So let's start bragging about our efforts this year!

Re: The Golf Thread - 02/25/12 04:19 PM

Funny you mention the Nike SQ's, MC. Dy Dad is 82 years old (and still WALKS the golf course). We got him the SQ's with the senior graphite shafts last year and he LOVES them.

Now here's a guy who has been playing blades for 50 years, and he's still around a 12 handicap. So he scoffed at the idea of playing a cavity back club for years. Now he can't believe he waited so long.

Re: The Golf Thread - 02/25/12 05:31 PM

I have friends that have golfed for years and some, it seems every new set of clubs that come out they have to have . I think they are show off's as they sure what you would call good golfers. Then I see these old guys getting out of there old trunks a old set of clubs well taken care of maybe a newer putter, or Driver. But like pizziaboy said still around a 12 handicap.

I wonder why the putters are getting as big as flying saucers, and also the drivers , the drivers I can understand somewhat but putters . This new Nicklus Brass ring sure does stay flat to the ground and is the right amount of weight. I have been out of it a few years also. But drug them out and cleaned them up, gonna have to put some new grips on them.

Re: The Golf Thread - 02/29/12 10:25 PM

It's looking like Tiger will have a hard time breaking Jack's record. There are so many young guys who are looking good; Luke Donald, Rory McIlroy, Dustin Johnson, Keegan Bradley, Bubba Watson, Hunter Mahan and now throw in Kyle Stanley. And some of the older guys won't go away either; Sergio seems to have found something, Stricker is always tough, and of course Mickelson.

They say putting is the first thing to go and Tiger might be having early puttzheimers.

Re: The Golf Thread - 02/29/12 10:56 PM

It's looking like Tiger will have a hard time breaking Jack's record. There are so many young guys who are looking good; Luke Donald, Rory McIlroy, Dustin Johnson, Keegan Bradley, Bubba Watson, Hunter Mahan and now throw in Kyle Stanley. And some of the older guys won't go away either; Sergio seems to have found something, Stricker is always tough, and of course Mickelson.

They say putting is the first thing to go and Tiger might be having early puttzheimers.
lol MC, couldn't happen to a better guy ! Jack is the man ! The Golden Bear ! But we all have to stand down at times . But it has to be some fun and pressure out there ! I sure wish I would have gotten in the game younger (pasture pool) wink cool could tell ya some story's about that ! grin Get together on the 19th hole , maybe some gin and tonic's !

I like that puttzheimers. Never heard that before , who knows maybe so I will regonize you know my friend ! wink Maybe this weekend I can go out and hit a few balls !

Re: The Golf Thread - 03/08/12 05:53 PM

Interesting tournament this weekend WGC Cadillac Championship. McIlroy, Westwood and Donald all have a shot at being number one in the world. I'm running a distant fourth.

Re: The Golf Thread - 03/08/12 05:57 PM

Interesting tournament this weekend WGC Cadillac Championship. McIlroy, Westwood and Donald all have a shot at being number one in the world. I'm running a distant fourth.

McIlroy IS number one in the world. But I know what you mean, MC. If Donald or Westwood wins, either of them will become number one.

Interesting because Tiger has always been so successful in WGC events, and he's no stranger to winning at Doral. Like him or not, if he still has an occasional 62 in him (like this past Sunday), you'd be absoultely nuts to count him out wink.

Re: The Golf Thread - 07/23/12 05:42 PM

Who watched my boy Els win the British yesterday at 42 years old?!

Yes, Adam Scott choked like a stuck pig, but let's credit Ernie for shooting a freaking 32 on the back nine. Els has been one of the most consistently classy guys in ALL of sports for twenty years. I'm thrilled for him.

Sidenote on Els: Yesterday was his 65th win worldwide. I think this fourth major (2 US Opens and 2 British Opens) cements his legacy as the second best golfer of his generation (after Tiger). Sorry, Phil.

Now Mickelson's a nice guy, too. But he never could win on a links course. Els is a more complete golfer.

Re Scott: He's a nice kid, but I hope he never wins a major while that asshole Stevie Williams is on his bag.
Posted By: DickNose_Moltasanti

Re: The Golf Thread - 07/23/12 06:04 PM

Any of you guys know if you live nearby a course when their going to have a big PGA Event you can rent you house out for up to several thousand dollars a week.

Re: The Golf Thread - 07/30/12 06:03 PM

Who watched my boy Els win the British yesterday at 42 years old?!

Yes, Adam Scott choked like a stuck pig, but let's credit Ernie for shooting a freaking 32 on the back nine. Els has been one of the most consistently classy guys in ALL of sports for twenty years. I'm thrilled for him.

Sidenote on Els: Yesterday was his 65th win worldwide. I think this fourth major (2 US Opens and 2 British Opens) cements his legacy as the second best golfer of his generation (after Tiger). Sorry, Phil.

Now Mickelson's a nice guy, too. But he never could win on a links course. Els is a more complete golfer.

Re Scott: He's a nice kid, but I hope he never wins a major while that asshole Stevie Williams is on his bag.

I couldn't have said it better....on all points. My swing mantra is ...I am Ernie (backswing) ELS (downswing). Works every time. Gives me the right tempo.

Re: The Golf Thread - 08/05/12 09:46 PM

I played Saturday at a neat little course in NE PA. I've played there probably a hundred times. The weather was looking a little ominous after the fourth hole. We were watching the clouds and hearing distant thunder. The wind picked up, but not bad. Then we heard a crack/thud kind of noise. I thought it was the group behind us; I thought their cart hit something. I looked back and a 30 ft tree fell across the cart path. It was about a foot or 18" in diameter. The cart path we just drove on! Scary.

Re: The Golf Thread - 03/25/13 06:02 PM

And with today's rain delayed victory at Bay Hill, Tiger Woods won for the third time this year and reclaimed the number one ranking for the first time in 29 months. This was the eighth time---eighth!---that Tiger has won at Bay Hill.

Go Tiger. The funny thing is, I never rooted for the guy until all the moralists came out of the woodwork after his whoring around became public. Now I hope he wins every week, especially if it means keeping that pasty faced quitter Rory out of the number one spot.

Like Muhammad Ali, or Wilt Chamberlain, or Hollywood types like Sinatra or Warren Beatty were any different. Every one of those guys played around just as much as Woods did. The only difference is that there wasn't a 24 hour media to catch them back then.
Posted By: DE NIRO

Re: The Golf Thread - 03/25/13 06:31 PM

I'm glad to see Tiger back at the top of the rankings, it's well earned..
Posted By: DuesPaid

Re: The Golf Thread - 03/26/13 02:00 AM

He is back!

Tiger will be tuff this year, I going to check his odds for the Masters, he must be short.

DP

Re: The Golf Thread - 03/26/13 02:12 AM

Yup, lowest on the board

2-1 odds Tiger to win Masters

Re: The Golf Thread - 03/29/13 02:36 AM

Originally Posted By: DickNose_Moltasanti
Any of you guys know if you live nearby a course when their going to have a big PGA Event you can rent you house out for up to several thousand dollars a week.

Ha, ho Shit, That sheet is Funnie, Your A Funnie Guy,

Really?

Wow, as you would say.... " dUH" "Homie" "Did not know that"

Maybe your Parents can sport you a new single bed next to yours in the basement and get few bucks for that.

And then one of these lame add ons.

DP
Posted By: EastHarlemItal

Re: The Golf Thread - 03/29/13 02:44 AM

Dicknose can't handle that! DuesPaid just collected from Dicknose

Re: The Golf Thread - 03/29/13 03:38 AM

Originally Posted By: EastHarlemItal
Dicknose can't handle that! DuesPaid just collected from Dicknose

He can Handle it, he dishes pleanty. I gota skim through all the crap he spews around here. All good.

DP

Re: The Golf Thread - 04/25/13 03:56 PM

Played 9 holes yesterday. First time since last June. I par'd the 4th hole, No 1 Handicap of course. Mostly double bogeys. The only hole I was on in 2 was a 3 putt. Had some nice tee shots. Consistently inconsistent.

Re: The Golf Thread - 04/27/13 12:14 AM

Sounds like my game. I hate three putting but often do.

I will be going out on Monday, wish I was playing Nine, playing 18, with a cart though. I like playing Nine and walking it.

Enjoy.

DP

Re: The Golf Thread - 05/10/15 07:56 PM

Unbelievable run by Ricky Fowler to win at Sawgrass today. I'm liking this kid more and more every week.

Re: The Golf Thread - 05/10/15 10:33 PM

Unbelievable run by Ricky Fowler to win at Sawgrass today. I'm liking this kid more and more every week.

It really was, good kid, my favorite event. I always enjoy The Players, now even more than the Masters.

cool

Re: The Golf Thread - 05/14/15 09:34 PM

Shot a 106 today.

Good off the tee, hit fairway often, approach was right on , never better.

Putting was horrible, need to fix.

Re: The Golf Thread - 05/17/15 08:07 PM

Watched Rory run away at Well Fargo/Quail Hollow. He and Spieth should create a great rivalry. Phil and Furyk can still be pesky. Tiger? Go find another pig.

Re: The Golf Thread - 05/18/15 10:09 PM

That kid is something else, just turned 26 last week, we will see plenty more of him.

Re: The Golf Thread - 05/18/15 10:14 PM

I was out golfing again today, shot same score as last time out at a different course.

This course was much tuffer but kept it together to at least keep up with my foursome and not go over 110.

Scoring over 110 is discouraging, for me anyway.

Re: The Golf Thread - 05/20/15 05:32 PM

Dues, keep at it. I started playing when I was in my early 30s. I was always a coordinate athlete, so golf shouldn't be a problem. WRONG. I was shooting 60 for 9 holes. It takes practice, play, practice, play, etc. to improve. Take lessons. I started with lessons through my town. $50, 10 lessons. About 50 people showed up, but I learned the basics. Then you have to play. Also read or watch videos. Recommended, Harvey Penick's "Little Red Book". By the time I was in my mid, late 40s I was playing bogey golf and then getting some rounds in mid 80s. Best round - 78. Love the game. I don't play much now, but still love it.

Re: The Golf Thread - 05/20/15 08:12 PM

I will stay at it, really enjoying the game again.

I played often years ago but at same level.
Never broke 100

I count every stroke and follow all the rules.
I am now playing with a regular Foursome and beginning to see and feel some progress.

Went out again today just for 9 holes, did not play well but had a great time and a few good drives of the tee, putting better also.

Thanks for the advice and you reminded me that I have The Little Red book in my bookshelf and never finished it. I will read it, my wife just loaded it on my Kindle.

If anyone needs or wants this book I will send it out to you, its a shame for it to not be shared and just collect dust on a bookshelf.

Thanks again MC,
get out there and play.

Re: The Golf Thread - 05/25/15 09:28 PM

Heading out for 18 tomorrow.

Maybe I'll break 100
Posted By: Beanshooter

Re: The Golf Thread - 05/25/15 09:30 PM

Good Luck Dues!

Re: The Golf Thread - 05/25/15 09:37 PM

Thanks Beans...

I'm gunna try

Re: The Golf Thread - 05/26/15 08:15 PM

A word on putting. By the book (par), each hole allows 2 putts. Don't get hung up on the line; speed is much more critical and that is something you can work on in your living room. Your 1st putt should be within the lid of a garbage can.

Re: The Golf Thread - 05/26/15 10:22 PM

I three putted twice today after getting on the green in two or three making for a poor score.

Three putts kill me.

I hit Four fairways and 5 others just off, good off the tee today.

Approach shots really good within 100 yards.

Second shots awful today.

I get in trouble but get out of it pretty good.

Shot a 111

This was a harder track but the course was in good shape, greens we very fast.

Re: The Golf Thread - 05/31/15 07:28 PM

Originally Posted By: DuesPaid

Three putts kill me.

Oh the dreaded 3 putt. Best part of my game because I worked on speed. I only 3 putt when I'm on the green in regulation lol. If you 3 putt every green that would be 18 extra strokes! Your 111 would be a 93! Imagine that. Here is another staggering statistic. If you played Augusta (the Masters) and shot 18 over par everyday (bogey golf), you would shoot 72 over par for 4 rounds of golf. Imagine the pros doing that! We would be doing back flips.

Re: The Golf Thread - 05/31/15 11:00 PM

Three putts kill me.

Oh the dreaded 3 putt. Best part of my game because I worked on speed. I only 3 putt when I'm on the green in regulation lol. If you 3 putt every green that would be 18 extra strokes! Your 111 would be a 93! Imagine that. Here is another staggering statistic. If you played Augusta (the Masters) and shot 18 over par everyday (bogey golf), you would shoot 72 over par for 4 rounds of golf. Imagine the pros doing that! We would be doing back flips.

I would love to see a Masters, I would sit at 17.

Shot another 105 on a good course last week, getting out again Wed, can't wait, tuff course

Re: The Golf Thread - 09/12/15 09:17 AM

No Golf today.

Fishing, leaving now.

I will post a pic if we catch, targeting Striper / Blues and Fluke outside the Moriches Inlet.

Re: The Golf Thread - 09/12/15 11:49 PM

A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of golf...or a good day of fishing beats golf, work, sex, ....maybe not sex, well it depends on who....nevermind. Go get 'em Dues. Hey where are you playing golf?

Re: The Golf Thread - 09/15/15 01:06 PM

A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of golf...or a good day of fishing beats golf, work, sex, ....maybe not sex, well it depends on who....nevermind. Go get 'em Dues. Hey where are you playing golf?

I am playing out in Suffolk County, L.I. N.Y.

The course I played yesterday is Spring Lake, really nice. Great conditions for a Public track.

I played my best round yesterday shooting a 101.

I had three Par
Hit four fairways with many others just pushing or pulling a bit just off.
Hit three greens in regulation
Had four one putts ( hate three putts, they are a killer) hit a 30 footer.
And got in for a total of 37 putts

I almost reached my goal of breaking 100.
Maybe soon or without a doubt, next season.

Good luck if you get out, the weather is perfect.

Re: The Golf Thread - 09/18/15 06:38 PM

Shot 9 today.

Good off the tee but short game needed help.

Re: The Golf Thread - 09/21/15 12:19 AM

Playin 18 on Tuesday.

Tuff course, not my regular track.

Maybe the change will be good.

Re: The Golf Thread - 09/22/15 07:40 PM

Shot a 104.

Good off the Tee, not bad overall.

Need to fix that approach shot.

Putts were good other than a few three putts, hate three putts.

Did really well on par 3's today.
Boggie, Par on front.
Double boggie, Par, boggie back.

Best drive was 258 down the Middle.
4 other drives in the fairway but not that deep.

Great weather 73 degrees, light wind.

Re: The Golf Thread - 10/02/15 01:29 AM

Skipped this week due to schedules.

Hope to get out for some Fall golf and will post.

Re: The Golf Thread - 10/03/15 12:05 AM

I love Fall golf....except when you tee shot lands in the middle of the fairway somewhere under a pile of leaves.

Re: The Golf Thread - 10/03/15 12:15 AM

Yes, we typically play lift ,clean ,replace in the fall.
Posted By: fergie

Re: The Golf Thread - 10/03/15 01:50 AM

Just played today in Scotland... Indian summer! I ended up with an 88... With 2 ob on the 3rd..still off 17 for now....!

Guys, I was talking afterwards and apparently in you shoot higher than your handicap you only get a max plus 0.1, but if you hit say 5 shots below you can get cut by nearly that much!

I thought that was totally wrong...BUT then I thought and it does prob make sense

Re: The Golf Thread - 10/03/15 03:55 PM

Ferg; That is part of the game I leave to others.

I hand in my scorecard and they tell me my Handicap.

It started at 36+ and is now 28.

I do know they do not let me take more than three strokes over par but I score my own card as well and write down every swing and penelty.

I think next season will be my best ever.

May get an opportunity to play a few more rounds this season including a possible chance at a Trump Course in The Bronx, Ferry Point.

Hope it comes together.

The outing and my game.
LoL

Re: The Golf Thread - 10/04/15 01:50 AM

Originally Posted By: fergie
Just played today in Scotland...

Fergie, where did you play? How does Scotland courses compare to US from an amateur perspective?
Posted By: fergie

Re: The Golf Thread - 10/15/15 11:07 PM

I play at braehead in Scotland, it's a decent course, not spectacular though. Surprisingly we have a lot of parkland courses, its not all links like st Andrews...in fact I haven't played many links, just always think the bounce is a bit too unpredictable and the ruff /Heather is impossible!

Mixed foursome comp on Saturday..I'll post an update smile

Re: The Golf Thread - 10/16/15 03:36 AM

Looking forward to hearing about the comp.

Lunch with my regular Foursome tomorrow, three of the four on the bench, two mending minor injuries one a surgery.

Should get out with one of them a few more times before its done for the season here.

Re: The Golf Thread - 10/19/15 02:57 PM

Was planning 9 - holes today in the mid-day sun but had to cancel.

Hi Ho Hi Ho,,,,

Re: The Golf Thread - 10/27/15 12:19 AM

Walking 9 - holes tomorrow. Good stretch of the Legs.

Should be nice and sunny, not too bad at 10am, we will have the warmest part of the day.

Re: The Golf Thread - 10/28/15 03:20 PM

Got out for 9 holes yesterday.

Played well. Not many out there.
It was a nice day and I played pretty well.
For me.

Shot 53
17 - Putts
4 out of 7 fairways hit.
No GIR

We walked with Push carts for exercise.

Fun, hope to get out again soon.

Re: The Golf Thread - 12/17/15 10:56 PM

Other than the Rain today, if my wife was not sick I would have been out twice a week this month and last month, at least once a week.

Great weather here in NY.

I typically wind up my golf in October, this year many are still at it around here.

Sad face here _

DP

Re: The Golf Thread - 12/23/15 10:27 PM

[quote=DuesPaid]Got out for 9 holes yesterday.

For me.

Shot 53
17 - Putts
4 out of 7 fairways hit.
No GIR

Fun, hope to get out again soon. [/quote

Dues, you are on the cusp. 4 of 7 Fairways is decent. Could I surmise your second/third shots are not so good? Following your adventures, I'd say you are making steady progress.

Incredible weather for the North East. Too bad my work schedule and family stuff has me sidelined.

Re: The Golf Thread - 12/24/15 02:20 AM

[quote=DuesPaid]Got out for 9 holes yesterday.

For me.

Shot 53
17 - Putts
4 out of 7 fairways hit.
No GIR

Fun, hope to get out again soon. [/quote

Dues, you are on the cusp. 4 of 7 Fairways is decent. Could I surmise your second/third shots are not so good? Following your adventures, I'd say you are making steady progress.

Incredible weather for the North East. Too bad my work schedule and family stuff has me sidelined.

Thanks MC, I have the same prob, bizzie,bizzie, bizzie.

Next year will be my year, yours too.

Merry Christmas.

Re: The Golf Thread - 01/02/16 02:44 AM

Going out to hit my new Cobra Driver tomorrow.

Not a round, just the range.
Posted By: njcapo35

Re: The Golf Thread - 01/02/16 03:44 AM

Going out to hit my new Cobra Driver tomorrow

Which one did you get?

Re: The Golf Thread - 01/13/16 02:08 AM

Originally Posted By: njcapo35
Going out to hit my new Cobra Driver tomorrow

Which one did you get?

Orange Fly Z.

It will go back and I will get something else.

Maybe another cobra but a different shaft.
I'll post when I get it, what driver do you like JC?

Re: The Golf Thread - 01/13/16 04:36 AM

Orange Fly Z.

It will go back and I will get something else.

Maybe another cobra but a different shaft.
I'll post when I get it, what driver do you like JC?

Beautiful club, Dues...Sorry you weren't happy with it... Hopefully you'll find a club that fits your needs.

The driver i'm using at the moment is a Callaway BB Alpha 816....(9) degree... Very pleased with it.

Can't wait for the season... Although I might be flying out to Florida next month, so maybe i'll catch a couple rounds early.

Good Luck with your game this year!

Re: The Golf Thread - 01/13/16 09:54 PM

Hope you get out to FLA.

Yes, the club is nice but I need more flex in the shaft than this one.

Nice Callaway, 9 degrees, you must be poundin that ball out there.

Have fun.

Re: The Golf Thread - 01/25/16 02:07 AM

Are you Golfin in FLA Boss?

Re: The Golf Thread - 02/01/16 02:19 AM

Leaving Friday, Dues...can't wait. Stogies and Beer!

Re: The Golf Thread - 02/01/16 02:42 AM

Originally Posted By: njcapo35

Leaving Friday, Dues...can't wait. Stogies and Beer!

Very Nice, have a great time.

Keep us updated and the courses reviews.

udaman

Re: The Golf Thread - 03/23/16 12:32 AM

Soon, very soon.

Can't wait

Re: The Golf Thread - 04/06/16 01:01 AM

Masters Week. Love this tournament. I think its the course. It is nice to see the same holes every year. You get very familiar to the point of knowing the breaks on some holes. Will it be a little known golfer or the top 5? Would love to see an old guy win like Davis Love III.

Re: The Golf Thread - 04/08/16 12:47 AM

Masters Week. Love this tournament. I think its the course. It is nice to see the same holes every year. You get very familiar to the point of knowing the breaks on some holes. Will it be a little known golfer or the top 5? Would love to see an old guy win like Davis Love III.

Agree, schedule clear for this. I followed today but will be watching all next three days.

Garcia

Enjoy

Re: The Golf Thread - 04/08/16 10:12 PM

Just watched Tom Watson walk off the 18th hole at the Masters for the last time and felt it was very heavy for me but not celebrated as much as past champs.

Very Sad, it just shows the level of respect for elders has dropped the bottom out to its lowest levels unless it can result in big buck turnover.

I hate the so called Mellenial generation, I find them to be the most disrespectful, grabbiest , spoiled , what's in it for me generation.

Re: The Golf Thread - 04/09/16 12:21 AM

Dues, I caught most of the Watson walk-up on 18. The reception appeared to be a step down from Nicklaus, but maybe that was appropriate. Tom had a great career and is more appreciated in England where he won 3 times. Regarding the "level of respect", that might be a reflection of our society in general. Regardless, the Masters is the historic benchmark of golf and the bar is set very high there. Just soak it in at your level.
Side note: I reluctantly agreed to tee off at 12:12 on Sunday. My first golf swing since August 2015. Master's Sunday should be spent in front of the TV. I'll catch the last 9 maybe. Here comes Brunson!

Re: The Golf Thread - 04/09/16 03:15 AM

Dues, I caught most of the Watson walk-up on 18. The reception appeared to be a step down from Nicklaus, but maybe that was appropriate. Tom had a great career and is more appreciated in England where he won 3 times. Regarding the "level of respect", that might be a reflection of our society in general. Regardless, the Masters is the historic benchmark of golf and the bar is set very high there. Just soak it in at your level.
Side note: I reluctantly agreed to tee off at 12:12 on Sunday. My first golf swing since August 2015. Master's Sunday should be spent in front of the TV. I'll catch the last 9 maybe. Here comes Brunson!

Go get em M. Hope you play a solid round and have few shots as good as any Pro.

Re: The Golf Thread - 04/11/16 10:10 PM

Un Fn Real. Got Snowed out on Sunday. The rain we were supposed to get on Saturday turned into 4 inches of wet snow. The course was closed Sunday. Soooooooo I watched more of the Masters. Love to watch that major. We know all the holes, which makes it unique. Amen corner bit Jordan in the butt. He will come out more determined than ever. In the Butler Cabin you could see he was disturbed. Glad to see Westwood and D Johnson finishing high. Would be nice to see Westwood win a major. Johnson too, but he can't putt under pressure.

Re: The Golf Thread - 04/13/16 02:19 AM

Oh yeah, he was steamed. He alsmost fell down when he got up to put the jacket on Danny.

Westwood will get one, he is solid.

Sergio is setting records, 67 consecutive majors.
Not sure about him getting one but will certainly root for him if he's in route to a win.

Re: The Golf Thread - 04/27/16 12:36 AM

10:00am Tee time tomorrow for 18.

Weather is supposed to be nice.

Re: The Golf Thread - 04/28/16 01:26 AM

It was a little chilli but a great day out.

Golf was not that good, did much better last week.

Shot a 112. Got in with hitting 7 fairways, 37 putts, no greens in regulation.

Did poorly on the par 3's.

Hope to get out next week, may hit the range a few times before that.

Re: The Golf Thread - 05/30/16 11:46 PM

Played in a Scramble last week. First time swinging the club since last August. Actually struck the ball better than I thought. Putting was wicked. Fast greens. Once I got used to them I was alright. Gotta get out more.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET