Home

UEFA Champions League Final

Posted By: AD

UEFA Champions League Final - 05/21/09 10:15 PM

I'll keep it simple. Who are you with?
Posted By: veneratio

Re: UEFA Champions League Final - 05/21/09 10:53 PM

Barcelona. I'm am sick of Man U... Over acheivers;-)
Haha.
Posted By: DE NIRO

Re: UEFA Champions League Final - 05/21/09 11:04 PM

United all the way my friends,, bring it on..

Re: UEFA Champions League Final - 05/21/09 11:06 PM

I am a Man U fan but I don't think Man Utd will win(its barca's time). Nonetheless, I remain loyal to the Red Devils.
Let me say this Veneratio... Someday and this day wil SURELY come you'll call Barca over-achievers ;-)

Hehe

Re: UEFA Champions League Final - 05/21/09 11:09 PM

Haha yeah no I don't really mind, I'm just a little bitter with them winning the premiership this year (again). I'm a Liverpool fan, really thought they might have been able to have it this year, disappointing. If they hadn't of had all those draws... It would have been a different story.

Oh well, as all the losers say "There's always next year.."
Haha.

Re: UEFA Champions League Final - 05/21/09 11:12 PM

Are my eyes playing tricks on me.... the GREAT DENIRO HIMSELF, heading towards 40,000 posts, has honored me with a post on my topic. And on top of that we're supporting the same side!! grin!!!

Re: UEFA Champions League Final - 05/21/09 11:20 PM

Veneratio, my friend. I was amazed with Liverpool's performance this season. They played their hearts out, if it weren't for them United would've bagged the trophy ages ago. I'm sure you'll find glory next season

Re: UEFA Champions League Final - 05/21/09 11:33 PM

Yeah they did have a cracker season, they were abit unlucky.
Last time they won the league was 1989-1990 so I hope I don't have to wait too much longer! 20 years already!
Posted By: Tony Mosrite

Re: UEFA Champions League Final - 05/22/09 01:58 AM

even if they didn't win anything, Liverpool has got to be happy with they way they played. the Real Madrid games and a handful of their games in the Premier League are among the best games of the season. not everyone has got to be like Internacional who always wins tongue

Gerrard is my favorite player in Europe, Torres is one of the 3 best strikers in the world and the other role guys all stepped up this season, specially Kuit who played very well. I hope Liverpool wins the Premier League next year, it would be great.
Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas

Re: UEFA Champions League Final - 05/22/09 03:42 PM

Could go either way and it should be a cracker of a game. I like Barca but will have to support the English team.

Plus it's been a while since United won anything so i feel a bit sorry for their fans whistle lol

Re: UEFA Champions League Final - 05/22/09 04:00 PM

Originally Posted By: AD
I am a Man U fan but I don't think Man Utd will win(its barca's time). Nonetheless, I remain loyal to the Red Devils.
Let me say this Veneratio... Someday and this day wil SURELY come you'll call Barca over-achievers ;-)

Hehe

Believe... We will win, im sure of that..

Re: UEFA Champions League Final - 05/22/09 04:39 PM

YES WE CAN!!!! That's the spirit eh DE NIRO? I now have full belief that Man Utd will retain the CL trophy..... Thank you for building up my morale DE NIRO
Posted By: Blibbleblabble

Re: UEFA Champions League Final - 05/23/09 05:14 AM

At my job, the Mexican dock workers have been keeping me updated on the Champions League, so I'm going to try my best to watch the match coming up. On the 27th right?

Re: UEFA Champions League Final - 05/23/09 11:25 AM

Yes Blibbleblabble it's this wednesday but do u know what time its gonna be on? And am I right in geussing you're siding with barca?

Re: UEFA Champions League Final - 05/23/09 02:19 PM

YES WE CAN!!!! That's the spirit eh DE NIRO? I now have full belief that Man Utd will retain the CL trophy..... Thank you for building up my morale DE NIRO

Thats better smile

Re: UEFA Champions League Final - 05/23/09 05:55 PM

Yes Blibbleblabble it's this wednesday but do u know what time its gonna be on? And am I right in geussing you're siding with barca?

I don't care much either way, although I will probably root for Barcelona as soon as I see Ronaldo's face.

Re: UEFA Champions League Final - 05/23/09 06:41 PM

Ahhh .....like the great Michael Corleone said Never hate your enemies. It affects your judgement tongue

Re: UEFA Champions League Final - 05/23/09 06:50 PM

I don't hate Ronaldo, I just hate looking at him lol

Re: UEFA Champions League Final - 05/25/09 06:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Blibbleblabble
I don't hate Ronaldo, I just hate looking at him lol

He's a greasy, horrible twat...but he is some footballer smile

Re: UEFA Champions League Final - 05/25/09 06:52 PM

I couldn't have said it any better!

Re: UEFA Champions League Final - 05/25/09 06:59 PM

tongue

By the way Blib,thanks for the message on Facebook. Appreciate it mate.
Posted By: Alive4Kill

Re: UEFA Champions League Final - 05/26/09 05:36 AM

Man U FTW ! tongue

Re: UEFA Champions League Final - 05/26/09 12:11 PM

Now that the match is tomorrow night, lets have some score predictions.But First let me give some facts. Henry and Ineista are rumored to be fit but haven't trained fully with the squad. I don't see Henry playing well after the selfishness he showed against Chelsea which nearly cost them the place in the Final. Ineista's another story, he's a silent killer. He is capable of anything. It would've been interesting to pit him against Darren Fletcher(poor guy misses out on his dream game frown ). But Barcelona will be without Dani Alves and Eric Abidal who are suspended. Rafael Marquez is injured so this shortage of first choice defenders tips the scales in United's favor. I hope Rio Ferdinand is on top form to partner with Vidic and diffuse the Trinity (Eto'o, MEssi, Henry) who've proven to be virtually unstoppable.In short, this game is UNMISSABLE. My prediction is a 2-1 win for United. The scorers are Ronaldo and Berbatov for United and Barcelona's only goal will come from Xavi.

Re: UEFA Champions League Final - 05/26/09 08:03 PM

I dont care what the score is and who scores as long as United win.. smile oh and please no penalties..

I think the team will be the same as it was against Arsenal in the 2nd leg minus Fletcher with Scholes/Giggs replacing him..
Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra

Re: UEFA Champions League Final - 05/26/09 11:15 PM

1-0 to Man Utd. Ronaldo pen.

I'd like to see Scholes play.

If Barca can't score against Chelsea (a brilliant, fuckallyoucandoaboutit special not included), they're going to struggle against Man Utd. I hope Rio's fit to start.
Posted By: Tony Mosrite

Re: UEFA Champions League Final - 05/27/09 12:33 AM

Barça will win 2-1.

They'll score a surprising goal early in the game and then Man Utd will dominate until they tie it with a goal from Park. Then, the final 15 minutes will be a showdown that will finish with Messi scoring the winning goal at the 87th minute.
Posted By: Fame

Re: UEFA Champions League Final - 05/27/09 01:36 AM

Originally Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra

If Barca can't score against Chelsea (a brilliant, fuckallyoucandoaboutit special not included), they're going to struggle against Man Utd. I hope Rio's fit to start.

It's hard for ANY team to score against Chelsea, so I was not at all surprised that Barca barely made it. Chelsea is playing the "ugliest" soccer: bunker-type of defence + stealing a goal or 2 to win the game. It's no fun to watch, but it's very efficient, which is why Chelsea is a very dangerous team, and you never know how it's going to end with them.

But most soccer fans prefer some "happy" soccer - the way teams like Barca and Liverpool are playing. It's a crowd-pleaser. They make the game very passionate, very open, it's fun to watch those teams.

And then there's Man Utd - and that's what I call "professional" soccer. They're in a league of their own, if you ask me. It's not so much about Ronaldo as it is about guys like Ryan Giggs and Rio Ferdinand. They make this team so great. In the end it's Rooney or Ronaldo who usually score, but everyone else is just as awesome.

So this current Barca team is the new talented baby of the soccer world, and I'm sure most people in the world would like to see them win, but I'll go with the "professionals".

3-0 for Man Utd. Hopefully Giggs will get one. He truly is footballer of the year.

Re: UEFA Champions League Final - 05/27/09 03:43 AM

I now have money on the game, so I am officially rooting for Manchester Utd. I'm the only non-Mexican at my job looking forward to this, so they were all trying to take my money.
Posted By: klydon1

Re: UEFA Champions League Final - 05/27/09 12:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Blibbleblabble
I now have money on the game, so I am officially rooting for Manchester Utd. I'm the only non-Mexican at my job looking forward to this, so they were all trying to take my money.

I'll watch some of the game this PM. I don't have a dog in the fight, so I won't be rooting for one over the other. ManU won last year, so maybe I'll side with Barcelona - who knows. The pundits are all thinking that ManU will win this game easily, so I'll pick them to win, 2-0. Is Barcelona really a huge underdog?
Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra

Re: UEFA Champions League Final - 05/27/09 12:31 PM

No. Barcelona are a brilliant team, with flair and power going forward. Man Utd are stronger defensively, and have a better all-round game and squad I think. It'll probably be a tense, nervy final; they often are.

I want Man Utd to win. Nobody's ever successfully defended it.

Re: UEFA Champions League Final - 05/27/09 12:42 PM

Barcelona can never be underestimated. They've scored over 150 goals this season. Pundits are thinking they'll win easily because Sir Alex Ferguson , the United manager, knows how to neutralize the attacking flair of barca.

Re: UEFA Champions League Final - 05/27/09 01:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra

Nobody's ever successfully defended it.

I had heard this too, and was a bit surprised. I'm looking forward to catching the match.

Re: UEFA Champions League Final - 05/27/09 04:19 PM

I was so nervous at work today i was sick,,man my nerves are on edge..

Re: UEFA Champions League Final - 05/27/09 08:52 PM

2-0 Barcelona are the champs congrats to them

Re: UEFA Champions League Final - 05/27/09 08:53 PM

blib sorry you lost money ..... btw how much did you bet??

Re: UEFA Champions League Final - 05/27/09 09:26 PM

Fair play to Barca they was the better team by a long way... Still gutted though..

Barcelona 2-0 Man Utd

Manchester United's attempt to make history and become the first club to defend the Champions League ended in failure against Barcelona in Rome's Stadio Olimpico.

Sir Alex Ferguson's hopes of repeating last year's triumph against Chelsea barely got off the ground as they ended well beaten by a Barcelona side inspired by the genius of Argentine superstar Lionel Messi.

United started the final, played in stifling heat, as if retaining their crown would be little more than a formality, creating a host of early chances against the nervous-looking Catalans, with Cristiano Ronaldo a constant threat.

But once Samuel Eto'o scored at Edwin van der Sar's near post in the 10th minute after escaping Nemanja Vidic, the credits were rolling on their bid to add the Champions League to the Premier League for the second successive season.

Barcelona's peerless midfield pair of Andres Iniesta and Xavi ruled midfield with a display of passing perfection, starving United of further opportunites to strike at a defence weakened by injuries and suspension.
Xavi hit the post with a free-kick and Thierry Henry was denied by Van der Sar before Messi crowned a glorious personal performance with a stunning header to clinch victory with 20 minutes remaining.

He made a mockery of his tiny stature to rise and head home Xavi's cross - and in that magical moment any hopes United harboured of a recovery were snuffed out.

If the showdown between Messi and Ronaldo was billed as the spectacular sub-plot within this showpiece, there was only one winner as Barcelona's diminutive star terrorised United throughout.

Ronaldo, for all his obvious frustrations that ended almost inevitably in a yellow card for a late barge on Carles Puyol, never stopped running but this was not to be his night or United's.
Ferguson warned in the build-up that Iniesta - arguably the game's most influential performer - and Xavi could put opponents "on a carousel" with their passing, and his prediction proved ominously correct as United were on a rough ride after the optimism of those opening 10 minutes.
Once Barcelona had settled after the early goal, there was no way back for United as several changes in formation failed to produce a spark and Wayne Rooney unable to exert any influence on events, first from the left flank and then from the centre.
And as Barcelona's name was carved on the giant trophy at the final whistle, with the celebrations of the Catalan fans a sharp contrast to the subdued Manchester United supporters, there was no doubting their right to claim Europe's elite trophy for the third time.

Ryan Giggs took the place of suspended Darren Fletcher in the United line-up - and for the first 10 minutes they penned a nervous Barcelona back in their own territory.

The game was only two minutes old when Barcelona keeper Victor Valdes fumbled Ronaldo's free-kick, and only the crucial intervention of former United defender Gerard Pique prevented Ji-Sung Park turning in the rebound.

Ronaldo was then twice narrowly off target before Barcelona made their first serious insertion into United territory. And it was to devastating effect as they turned the opening exchanges upside down to take the lead.

Barcelona will credit the brilliance of Eto'o, but it was a cheap shot from United's viewpoint as the Cameroon striker was allowed to escape by Vidic and keeper Van der Sar's effort to block the effort at his near post was flimsy, to put it kindly.

It was against the run of play, but gave Barcelona a visible injection of confidence and adrenalin, allowing Messi to pull the strings up front and Xavi and Iniesta to take control of midfield.

Iniesta may have been an injury doubt prior to this final, but there was little evidence of fitness problems as he produced a virtuoso demonstration of the modern midfield arts, leaving United to chase in vain in an attempt to regain possession for the latter stages of the opening half.

n one magical moment, all three of Vidic, Michael Carrick and Rooney were foiled in an attempt to take the ball away from Messi, with the Argentine eventually forcing a foul.

Rooney was a peripheral figure, pushed to the margins of the game on the left flank. He was too important a figure to be starved of possession and influence in this system, and it was no surprise when Ferguson pushed him inside as half-time approached.

Ferguson made another switch during the interval, sending on Carlos Tevez for the ineffective Anderson, a positive move that reflected United's failure to build on their early domination.
It was not a quick fix as Barcelona simply continued in their imperious stride after the break, Thierry Henry tricking his way inside Rio Ferdinand only to be denied by the legs of Van der Sar.

Xavi then almost doubled Barcelona's lead with a 20-yard free-kick following Vidic's foul on Messi. He beat Van der Sar with his curling effort, but it rebounded off an upright to safety.

United were struggling to get a clear sight of Barcelona's goal, and in a bid to remedy this problem Ferguson sent on Dimitar Berbatov for Park with 25 minutes remaining.

The change had no chance to take effect before Barcelona deservedly went two up five minutes later. Xavi was the cretor with a cross that looked too high for Messi, but he defied his lack of inches to soar and send a header over Van der Sar.

United looked to mount an instant response, with Valdes blocking crucially from Ronaldo, but there was no way back and it was Barcelona who looked more likely to add to their lead.

Van der Sar saved well from Puyol as Barcelona dominated until the final whistle - and not even the most partisan Manchester United follower can doubt that Pep Guardiola deserved to round off a dream first season in charge by adding the Champions League to the La Liga title and the Spanish Cup.

BBC.CO.UK/FOOTBALL
Posted By: Fame

Re: UEFA Champions League Final - 05/27/09 11:47 PM

Looks like the white uniform gave away the result.
Seriously, Man Utd only showed up for the first 10 minutes of the game. I didnt expect such a poor performance, so I'm very disappointed. It's not like them to give up on the game so early. The first goal was not part of the plan, but they had to pick themselves up afterwards, which they never did, and it just didnt look like they wanted to win as much as Barca.....oh well, there's always next year.

I think if it was a best-of-5-games finals, or best-of-7 like they do in the NBA, the result was the other way around. Anything can happen in one single match.....but congratz to Barca for a wonderful season.

UNICEF Vs. AIG

UNICEF won.

See you next year.

Re: UEFA Champions League Final - 05/28/09 02:12 AM

Congratulations to the Barcelona team on a very good team. Manchester can hold their heads up high for a great run. I didn't get to see the end, but I watched a good portion of it with my 14 year old son, who shocked me with how much he knew about this league and some of the players. I enjoyed it very much.

How and when is the location of the championship determined? I was a little surprised it was in Italy where they have had a lot of problems with violent and uncivilized fan behavior. It wasn't long ago that Italian teams played in empty arenas because assembling the fans was an invitation to riots and mayhem.

Re: UEFA Champions League Final - 05/28/09 04:49 AM

Wow, what happened to Man Utd. in this? I figured it would be closer than it was. Great header by Messi though!

AD, I only lost $20. But since I'm broke it hurts. I should have known not to bet but it made it a little more fun smile

Re: UEFA Champions League Final - 05/28/09 11:06 AM

Kl, Good to hear your kid is interested in football and that you enjoyed it. The location of the final is decided by the UEFA Executive Committee. As for when they decide, I don't know- but it always makes it on the sport news. Anyway there won't be any need for them to do so anytime soon because the next three finals' locations have been chosen.

Here they are:
-2010: Santiago Bernabeu,Madrid
-2011: (home sweet home)Wembly Stadium,London
-2012: Allianz Arena, Munich

Re: UEFA Champions League Final - 05/28/09 01:26 PM

Shame for Man Utd but Barca were awesome and fully deserved to win. It was a great game to watch,Barca are always easy on the eye!

Klyd,your question about the location has been answered but apparently there was a lot of fighting outside the ground last night. The Italian fans wanting to have a go at the English fans. 150+ arrests by all accounts eek

Re: UEFA Champions League Final - 05/28/09 03:30 PM

Im booking my flight for Madrid just in case in the next few weeks as it will be much cheaper now..

Re: UEFA Champions League Final - 05/28/09 04:14 PM

Nice thinkin DE NIRO .... can you tell me the price when
you book your flight ... maybe we can go together who knows grin

Re: UEFA Champions League Final - 05/28/09 10:25 PM

I'll let you know..

Re: UEFA Champions League Final - 05/29/09 01:31 AM

Originally Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas

Klyd,your question about the location has been answered but apparently there was a lot of fighting outside the ground last night. The Italian fans wanting to have a go at the English fans. 150+ arrests by all accounts eek

I heard that too. They reported that dozens of Italian fans dressed in police outfits to beat Manchester fans.

Re: UEFA Champions League Final - 05/30/09 10:34 AM

Indeed Klyd,the crafty beggars!!

My best pal follows Newcastle home and away in every game which a few glorious years ago involved European games ohwell

Anyways he and some friends went to Turin to see Newcastle play the mighty Juventus.They were drinking in a bar peacefully and there were plenty of police around so they felt safe. The Juventus fans raced in on mopeds and attacked them and the police just watched. When some of the English lads fought back the police waded in with riot batons and arrested over half of them. My mate didn't get arrested but he did get his head laid open from a baton.

He vowed never to go to Italy again for football. Football hooliganism used to be called the "English disease" but the Italians are right up there now.
Posted By: ibarramedia

Re: UEFA Champions League Final - 06/15/09 02:08 PM

I was rooting for Barcelona.

Re: UEFA Champions League Final - 06/15/09 04:53 PM

Shame on you...
Posted By: ibarramedia

Re: UEFA Champions League Final - 06/16/09 12:42 AM

Originally Posted By: DE NIRO
Shame on you...

Sorry buddy. I like all the spanish teams.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET