Home

How bout them Yankees!? (2009)

Posted By: J Geoff

How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 03/31/09 11:13 PM

A continuation of the 2008 Thread as we approach the 2009 regular season...
Posted By: Just Lou

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 03/31/09 11:50 PM

<troll mode on> Let's Go Mets! <troll mode off>
Posted By: BAM_233

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/01/09 12:07 AM

lets go cubs!
Posted By: Irishman12

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/01/09 02:32 AM

Yankees will be the 2009 World Series champions!

Seriously, I don't think one can argue that the Yankees have the best 5 man rotation in baseball with Sabathia, Burnett, Wang, Pettitte, and Chamberlain.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/01/09 02:42 AM

idk about that irish i mean yea they have gotten stronger...but really though i can see sabathia and burnett doing great just not the others. at best the yankees will be fighting it out with boston and tampa bay till september.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/01/09 03:15 AM

Originally Posted By: Irishman12

Seriously, I don't think one can argue that the Yankees have the best 5 man rotation in baseball with Sabathia, Burnett, Wang, Pettitte, and Chamberlain.

Sabathia has to prove he can pitch in NY, but is probably a given.

Burnett was an injruy waiting to happen, .500 pitcher until last year. Won more than 12 games once in his career.

Wang is Wang. Good #3 starter. Couldn't strike me out though.

Petitte is way past his prime. ERA over 4.50 last year.

Chamberlain will be in the bullpen by the All-Star break.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/01/09 11:45 AM

Originally Posted By: BAM_233
idk about that irish i mean yea they have gotten stronger...but really though i can see sabathia and burnett doing great just not the others. at best the yankees will be fighting it out with boston and tampa bay till september.

Not the others? Wang twice won 19 games, and Pettitte is one of the best postseason pitchers ever. I'll give you Chamberlain though, he's a question mark. But honestly, who has a better rotation top to bottom?

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/01/09 09:06 PM

pettitte is past his prime which was said before...i never heard of wang to tell the truth. now if things go right yea they can be one of the best pitching rotation...not the best though.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/02/09 12:17 AM

now if things go right yea they can be one of the best pitching rotation...not the best though.

Who's better then?
Posted By: Don Sicilia

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/02/09 12:25 AM

now if things go right yea they can be one of the best pitching rotation...not the best though.

Who's better then?

Considering who you're asking, 50/50 he says the Cubs. wink
Posted By: klydon1

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/02/09 12:31 AM

Though they may not be household names, the Reds' rotation is going to impress this season. The Reds may hang with the Cubs and Cardinals in the central this summer if they can score some runs.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/02/09 01:16 AM

actually no...if the injury bug doesnt hit zambrino or harding then they might be...i might go with boston...but the yankees/cubs/even the reds could take that spot.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/02/09 10:25 AM

actually no...if the injury bug doesnt hit zambrino or harding then they might be...i might go with boston...but the yankees/cubs/even the reds could take that spot.

Boston? Sure, Boston has a great 1-2 punch with Beckett and Dice-K, but who do they have after that? Brad Penny? Question mark (same as AJ Burnett). Tim Wakefield? Talk about past his prime. I'll take Andy Pettitte over him ANY day of the week. And Jon Lester? Wang and him about even out.
Posted By: Blibbleblabble

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/02/09 03:19 PM

Lester is better than Wang.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/03/09 05:50 AM

Not the others? Wang twice won 19 games, and Pettitte is one of the best postseason pitchers ever. I'll give you Chamberlain though, he's a question mark. But honestly, who has a better rotation top to bottom?

Without doing research on other teams I quickly compared the Yankees rotation to the Giants rotation and here's what I think:

Sabathia = Lincecum

Burnett = Randy Johnson - both injury prone but still dominant when healthy.

Cain >> Wang - if Cain were on the Yankees he would have a couple of 20 win seasons already because of run support.

Zito = Pettite

Sanchez = Chamberlain - Both young live arms with a ton of upside, but both inexperienced and unproven. Both started in bullpen as well and moved to a starting pitcher role last year.

So I would say the Giants rotation is equal if not slightly better with a brighter future. I'm sure there are other teams with better pitching.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/03/09 10:23 AM

You gonna say Andy Pettitte is as bad as Barry Zito!? NO WAY!

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/03/09 12:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Blibbleblabble

Without doing research on other teams I quickly compared the Yankees rotation to the Giants rotation and here's what I think:

Sabathia = Lincecum

Burnett = Randy Johnson - both injury prone but still dominant when healthy.

Cain >> Wang - if Cain were on the Yankees he would have a couple of 20 win seasons already because of run support.

Zito = Pettite

Sanchez = Chamberlain - Both young live arms with a ton of upside, but both inexperienced and unproven. Both started in bullpen as well and moved to a starting pitcher role last year.

So I would say the Giants rotation is equal if not slightly better with a brighter future. I'm sure there are other teams with better pitching.

I think Lincecum is the best pitcher in baseball today. Burnett and Johnson will probably see some time on the DL. I would agree that Cain is better than Wang. Zito seemed to put it together a bit in the second half of the season. He could be another Mike Mussina story of appearing to be finished, and then busting out. But I'd give an edge to Pettite even though he's fading. I'd give the edge also to Chamberlain though Sanchez is intriguing. It seems that Chamberlain has been treated with a short leash since the day he was brought up.

But the Giants' rotation stands pretty much with any in baseball. They're one of the many victims of East Coast Sports Media bias.

I'm happy with the Phillies' 2009 rotation of Cole Hamels, Bret Myers (who is in the best shape of his life), Jamie Moyer (the ageless one), Joe Blanton and either rookie JA Happ or Chan Ho Park, both of whom had outstanding springs.
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/03/09 03:57 PM

You gonna say Andy Pettitte is as bad as Barry Zito!? NO WAY!

And who would've fathomed that two or three years ago?

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/03/09 04:10 PM

Yeah, Ziti is awful. One of the worst signings in history. You have to take Pettite over him. I think Cain is much better than Wang despite Wang's inflated win total. I think Lincecum is better than CC, but let's not crown him "the best pitcher in baseball" after only 1 full season. He hasn't even won 20 games yet. That title still belongs to Santana, who would have won the Cy Young last year again if the bullpen hadn't blown 9 games on him.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/03/09 06:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Just Lou
Yeah, Ziti is awful.
Maybe you should try angel hair. wink

Good comparison on the Giant's staff, BL. I had no idea they had such good young pitchers (beyond Lincecum and Cain). My gut tells me that the Red Sox will have the best pitching staff. Lester is on the verge of being an elite pitcher, I think.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/03/09 06:31 PM

lol

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/03/09 09:16 PM

I think Lincecum is better than CC, but let's not crown him "the best pitcher in baseball" after only 1 full season. He hasn't even won 20 games yet. That title still belongs to Santana, who would have won the Cy Young last year again if the bullpen hadn't blown 9 games on him.

I can understand the argument that Santana is the best pitcher in baseball. He has been so over the past few years. But I don't understand why you rip Lincecum for not winning 20 even though he's played on a losing team that offered little run support, but blame Santana's failure to win 9 additional games on the bullpen even though he played for a team with a winning record?

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/03/09 09:23 PM

I'm not ripping him. He's played 1 full season in the majors, and now he's the best pitcher in baseball? Please. Santana's failure to win 9 games had nothing to do with him. He came out of the game after the 7th inning with a lead 9 times, and the Mets' garbage bullpen blew the save.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/03/09 09:31 PM

I'm not ripping him. He's played 1 full season in the majors, and now he's the best pitcher in baseball? Please. Santana's failure to win 9 games had nothing to do with him. He came out of the game after the 7th inning with a lead 9 times, and the Mets' garbage bullpen blew the save.

Yeah I saw some of those games. Maybe they should have had him pitch the eighth in some. There seems to be an aversion to allowing starters to finish games today.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/03/09 10:21 PM

I think Cain is much better than Wang despite Wang's inflated win total.

How is his win total inflated? What, because he doesn't have overpowering stuff he's not a legit pitcher?

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/03/09 10:52 PM

I didn't say he wasn't a "legit pitcher". He's no where nearly as good as his record.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/04/09 01:21 AM

And why is that? Winning 19 games two years in a row is no accident
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/04/09 03:07 AM

C'mon, Lou, Wang's a really good pitcher. If anything, I think he doesn't get enough recognition.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/04/09 06:22 AM

You can add 9 wins to Lincecum's win total as well for the same reason. The Giants relief staff was terrible last year, aside from Brian Wilson.

Irish and SB, as far as Wang goes, if you put him on most other teams he wouldn't have nearly as many wins because the Yankees lineup is stacked. He gets a lot of run support. He's not a bad pitcher of course, but he would have average win totals on normal teams.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/04/09 10:21 AM

And why is that? Winning 19 games two years in a row is no accident

Here's some numbers about Wang, and they don't lie: For his career, he's given up more hits than innings pitched. (635-628) His strikeout to walk ration is less than 2-1, and he's only struck out 281 in 628 innings. In 2007 when he won 19 games, his run support was 7+ runs per game.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/04/09 10:24 AM

Irish and SB, as far as Wang goes, if you put him on most other teams he wouldn't have nearly as many wins because the Yankees lineup is stacked. He gets a lot of run support. He's not a bad pitcher of course, but he would have average win totals on normal teams.

Honestly, I think you can say the same thing about Dice-K. I can't tell you how many times over the past 2 years Manny Ramirez bailed him out and got him a win with a homerun or RBI. Dice-K's a good pitcher and had a great year last year, but he wouldn't have won 18 games without Boston's stacked lineup either. He's not a very economical pitcher as he doesn't make it past the 6th inning usually.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/08/09 02:05 PM

Hey Joba, you don't like New York?

Then get the fuck out, you stupid redneck. Plus, it's always smart to make fun of Yogi (the greatest living Yankee). Ugh! Dumb ass hillbilly!

NEW VIDEO OF YANKEE JOBA CHAMBERLAIN'S SHOWS HIM BASHING NEW YORK

NY Daily News

He had the right to remain silent, and should have used it.

Yankees righthander Joba Chamberlain instead ripped New Yorkers as rude and city drivers as cutthroat after his drunken-driving arrest - before taking a boozy shot at pinstriped icon Yogi Berra.

"No bull----, he might not be as tall as the front of your car," Chamberlain told the Nebraska state trooper who found an open bottle of Crown Royal sitting inside the hurler's BMW.

Chamberlain's cracks were captured in an arrest video uncovered by thesmokinggun.com. It showed the 23-year-old going through a variety of sobriety tests and chatting amiably with Trooper Michael Grummert.

"The biggest thing that I've noticed driving here and there is if you let somebody in, they open the window and say 'thank you,' " Chamberlain said about getting behind the wheel in Nebraska.

"In New York, they might hit you. Yeah, it's a joke."

The video caught Chamberlain after he was pulled over last Oct. 18 for doing 70 mph in a 55 mph zone. Chamberlain was heading home from a local strip club when stopped.

"That bottle of Crown Royal over there - is it open?" the trooper asked. "Why don't you just hand that over?"

The hard-throwing hurler tried to play the Pinstripe Card once stopped. "Obviously," he said, "I play for the Yankees."

He was polite and cooperative throughout, putting both hands on the hood of the police cruiser as the trooper frisked the Yankees star.

After weaving to the left when trying to walk a straight line, Chamberlain sat in the trooper's car for some casual conversation - with Grummert asking about life in New York.

It wasn't like Nebraska, Chamberlain said, where "you can go and open a door and say please and thank you."
Chamberlain pleaded guilty to drunken driving last week, receiving nine months' probation and losing his license for 60 days. As part of a plea deal, the charge of driving with an open alcohol container was dropped.

The Yankees' No. 5 starter is expected to make his season debut Sunday against the Royals in Kansas City.

The former high school catcher-turned-pitcher said the best thing about being a Yankee was the proximity to Hall of Famer Berra.

"Yogi comes in every couple of days," Chamberlain said. "And I go, 'Yogi, what the f--- are you doin' here?' "
Posted By: Tony Mosrite

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/08/09 02:46 PM

well that's not as bad as it's made out to be. the dropping velocity of his fastball is much more a concern than the rising velocity of his BMW.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/08/09 03:12 PM

OMG!! Monday's game was a nightmare! It wouldn't end!! WTF???

Here's hoping that Wang brings a little magic to the mound today.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/08/09 03:53 PM

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

Then get the fuck out, you stupid redneck. Plus, it's always smart to make fun of Yogi (the greatest living Yankee). Ugh! Dumb ass hillbilly!

Why is it so offensive, what he said? I hear all the time that New York drivers are extremely rude, and it seems like they are proud of it. And... Yogi Berra is short. So what?
Posted By: MaryCas

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/08/09 04:32 PM

Why is it so offensive, what he said? I hear all the time that New York drivers are extremely rude, and it seems like they are proud of it. And... Yogi Berra is short. So what?

.....and Pizza, Joba never said he didn't like NY wink
It always amazes me that people expect atheletes to be smart, articulate, and congenial. Not so. Think back to your high school days and some of the "star" atheletes.
The media and the fans will have a field day with this stuff.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/08/09 05:25 PM

yogi can kick joba's ass

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/09/09 10:27 PM

Joba, shut your mouth and throw the ball. That's what you get paid to do.

Looks like Burnett did a nice job today. Glad someone on the pitching staff understands what they're paid to do. And the bats woke up, too. What perfect timing!

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/10/09 01:30 AM

Compared to CC and Wang, Burnett did AWESOME today (6 strikeouts and the W). That's why they got him. He's a stopper. When your team loses a few in a row, he's the one to change the tide.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/10/09 12:59 PM

Compared to CC and Wang, Burnett did AWESOME today (6 strikeouts and the W). That's why they got him. He's a stopper. When your team loses a few in a row, he's the one to change the tide.

Did I hear right, CC and Wang did not have a strike out? eek

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/10/09 01:33 PM

Yup. That's how bad they both were. No command whatsoever

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/10/09 02:11 PM

not a good start for the yankees...hopefully this is just rust, and not a foreshadowing of the season.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/10/09 03:48 PM

Sabathia has always been terrible in April. He's also unfortunately been terrible in October.

I don't pay attention to standings until the middle of May. I believe in the adage that you can't win a division in April (apologies to the '84 Tigers), but you can lose it.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/10/09 05:47 PM

that is true bout sabathia, but he is also injured too which wont help matters.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/14/09 12:25 AM

oh my god what happened to the poor jap fella?

that's the number in the ERA column and it's not a typo.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/14/09 12:39 AM

He's Chinese.

And tell me about it! rolleyes

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/14/09 02:19 AM

shit! i pick him up to replace sheets, and this is what i get! well i am going pitcher shopping now.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/14/09 12:47 PM

I watched a few innings of last night's game, and while Yankee fans have to be upset about Wang's two outings, I thought there was a more glaring concern. The Rays ran all over Posada, who's really showing his age behind the plate. A lot of stolen bases are the pitcher's fault, but Posada seems to have lost quickness on the release and pop on the throws. The Rays' style of play make the Yankees look older than they are.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/14/09 01:04 PM

the Yankees are that team that even if you analyze the AL East and conclude that there are 2 teams way better than them they still can always win that division if everything goes their way. but there are a LOT of concerns. for one, I usually follow a rule in fantasy baseball: never start a pitcher against the Yankees. but yesterday I didn't even have to check twice. when I saw their lineup with Swisher and Posada in the 3 and 4 holes I knew Kazmir would do a great job.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/14/09 03:09 PM

Originally Posted By: klydon1
I watched a few innings of last night's game, and while Yankee fans have to be upset about Wang's two outings, I thought there was a more glaring concern. The Rays ran all over Posada, who's really showing his age behind the plate. A lot of stolen bases are the pitcher's fault, but Posada seems to have lost quickness on the release and pop on the throws. The Rays' style of play make the Yankees look older than they are.

I noticed the same thing, Klyd. Posada is really starting to lumber around the plate. He still has a good arm, but he looks a LOT less mobile than he has in the past.

As far as Wang: If he doesn't get that sinker working, he's going to continue to get pounded. His fastball is, well, you saw last night's game, right?

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/14/09 03:22 PM

It's sad to see a great player like Georgie showing his age, but what can you do?? It's inevitable, I suppose.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/14/09 05:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Tony Mosrite
the Yankees are that team that even if you analyze the AL East and conclude that there are 2 teams way better than them they still can always win that division if everything goes their way.

I think they can win the division even with flaws. Even though they're aging, they still have a wealth of talent. The Rays would be my pick to win the division over NY and Bos. in a close race. I think that some of their players from last year will improve, Burrell gives them a solid presence in the middle of the lineup that should benefit the hitters above him, Upton is on the brink of becoming Griffey of the mid-90s, and most of all, that pitching staff looks better, having learned how to win from April to October.

The Rays have a distinct swagger about them.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/14/09 06:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
It's sad to see a great player like Georgie showing his age, but what can you do?? It's inevitable, I suppose.

You're right. It's bittersweet to watch a beloved athlete past his prime, the lion in winter. I like Posada. With Jeter, Pettite, and Rivera he remains the link to their glory years. I give him credit for still hustling, having come off a substantial injury at his age. but catchers tend to be the toughest guys on the team (they also make the best managers).

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/15/09 10:28 AM

Burnett the stopper is 2-for-2. Look at these stats:

8 innings, 3 hits, 2 runs, 1 BB, 9 SO, 103 pitches (67 strikes), 2-0 with a 2.70 ERA

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/15/09 06:17 PM

How can that be only 8 innings in two starts?

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/15/09 06:21 PM

Here Irish, updated numbers for Burnett. Still impressive but you got some of them wrong:

13.1 innings, 10 hits, 4 runs, 2 BB, 15 SO, and ERA of 2.70

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/15/09 08:43 PM

How can that be only 8 innings in two starts?

No, those were just his stats last night against the Rays. I'm saying he was 2-for-2 in games that we needed a win

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/15/09 09:43 PM

lol lol

you didn't need a win when C.C. and Wang lost ???

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/15/09 09:50 PM

You don't need wins with the best pitching staff in baseball, TM.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/16/09 12:23 AM

A big win for the guys tonight. Taking 2 out of 3 from Tampa cool

And, big news outta Boston, Dice-K's on DL

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/16/09 01:03 AM

So is Nady. I'll take Nick Swisher in right field, though. He's just astounding.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/16/09 01:36 AM

you might as well let him pitch...i mean he is the yankees second ace. lol

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/16/09 02:36 AM

Wasn't Swisher the only one to pitch a scoreless inning during that game?

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/16/09 03:17 AM

yea, and he also recorded a strikeout as well.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/16/09 10:31 AM

So is Nady. I'll take Nick Swisher in right field, though. He's just astounding.

At this point in the season, I agree. Swisher's been on fire but let's see him over the long haul. He had a bad year last year and I'm hoping he's not just having a hot start and then is going to fizzle out. But he seems like a guy they need in the clubhouse who can bring some humor and a light atmosphere when needed.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/16/09 03:20 PM

I love his energy. Just as Cano and Cabrera energized the Yankees a few years back, I think that Swisher may have the same effect. I sure hope so.

And I think that he not only had a strikeout, but didn't he hit a homerun in that game, too??

I can't wait to see the opening ceremonies. We're DVRing it.
Posted By: SC

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/16/09 08:02 PM

OK... the Yankees are getting pounded now, but you gotta love the fact that two of the Cleveland home runs against them were immediately thrown back onto the field by fans.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/16/09 09:09 PM

They're really missing their righty bats.
Posted By: Mignon

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/16/09 10:25 PM

I didn't know the Tribe was playing the Yanks today. The Indians beat the Yanks huh?

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/17/09 01:41 AM

Freaking bullpen. Unbelievable. After that great win last night, with my boy Jeter hitting the winning HR.

We're watching the opening ceremonies right now. What a beautiful day for it.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/17/09 03:51 AM

I watched some of the festivities. It's always nice to assemble the old faces of the franchise. It seemed to me that the vet, who received the biggest ovation, wasn't Reggie, ogi or Whitey, but Paul O'Neill, a quiet bulldog of a player. Probably almost half of the fans there don't remember Reggie playing. It makes me feel old.

But what is up with Joe Pepitone? Was that a joke? I thought people only looked like that at Halloween. He looked like that cheesy night club character that Andy Kauffman used to do...Vic Something-or-other.

Also, while introducing the Yankee batting lineup, I would have selected music other than the Star Wars theme.

I missed Bernie Williams playig the guitar in centerfield (He's really promoting that CD). And I missed the laying of Babe Ruth's bat at home plate. When many of Babe's artifacts were on tour from his museum in Baltimore, I made a point to see it when it came to town.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/18/09 05:08 PM

Bernie played well, Klyd. They have his autographed guitar on display at the Hard Rock that's in the stadium, too, which is kind of cool.

Btw, where are all the "Jeter's over-rated", "he's started his inevitable decline", "He can't hit in the clutch," nay-sayers now? Isn't it Derek Jeter who has now won TWO games with a home-run? tongue

It was great to see Mo on the mound last night. He may be almost 40, but the man can still throw.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/18/09 06:50 PM

Btw, where are all the "Jeter's over-rated", "he's started his inevitable decline", "He can't hit in the clutch," nay-sayers now? Isn't it Derek Jeter who has now won TWO games with a home-run? tongue

Jeter's the worst shortstop in the game tongue

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/18/09 08:37 PM

oh my god what happened to the poor jap fella?

that's the number in the ERA column and it's not a typo.

update every five days: what happened to the poor chinese fella? ERA reads 34.50, is that a typo?

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/18/09 08:44 PM

forget about it, the next guy up is named "Claggert" and his ERA is 162.00!!! is a hacker messing up mlb.com gameday or are the Yankees enjoying the worst inning of their life?

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/18/09 08:50 PM

13 hits, 14 runs in 1 inning.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/19/09 12:08 AM

Maybe the Brian Cashman era will soon come to an end. My daughter was at the game today. She said after the 3rd inning her row was empty. They enjoyed the fights and the police escorting people out of the stadium. The $7 french fries were also good. Chien Ming Schwing! Where is Phil Hughes or Ian Kennedy? Bring back Kevin Brown and Fat Ass Clemens.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/19/09 01:55 AM

Damn, I forgot to watch the game today.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/19/09 02:11 AM

by the looks like it u didnt missed much lol.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/19/09 02:34 AM

When the wheels come off the Yankee wagon, they come off with a vengeance!

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/19/09 12:52 PM

Wang's ERA is matching his waist size. Another start or two and it will be matching Joba's waist size.

Tim Kurkjian said that was the first time in MLB history that a tem scored 14 runs in the second inning, and it was the most runs given up ever by the Yankees in an inning. The five games that had the largest number of runs scored against the Yankees were all against Cleveland.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/20/09 01:34 AM

Today's game was better, thank goodness.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/20/09 02:04 AM

how much did they lose by then? lol

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/20/09 10:46 AM

how much did they lose by then? lol

Hey, wiseass!! They WON! lol

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/20/09 03:28 PM

Are any of you Yankee fans worried about your new stadium? It seems I could hit a homerun to right field, and the weather hasn't even gotten warm yet. So far, the stadium looks like a pitcher's nightmare.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/20/09 06:06 PM

Are any of you Yankee fans worried about your new stadium? It seems I could hit a homerun to right field, and the weather hasn't even gotten warm yet. So far, the stadium looks like a pitcher's nightmare.

There did seem to be some "cheapie" homeruns over the weekend, especially to right field. Hafner hit one out to left that looked as though it was a routine flyball, but I'd wait to see how many game homeruns are hit at home, compared to away after the season's over. April is usually not a good month for long balls.

By the way, the Posada homerun looked like it was a case of fan interference. While the ball appeared to be on its way over the fence, I thought the fan reached over the fence and into the field of play before the fielder had an opportunity to catch it. As such, the batter should have been declared out. The call didn't affect the outcome in all likelihood.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/20/09 06:57 PM

They were talking about this afternoon on WFAN. 20 homeruns in 4 games. Many of which that were hit off the end of the bat and looked like routine fly balls at first. They don't know what's causing it. It may be a wind tunnel effect. Whatever it is, the have to find a way to correct it.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/20/09 07:08 PM

They were talking about this afternoon on WFAN. 20 homeruns in 4 games.

Wow. I didn't realize it was that many. Maybe the Yankees should start investing in some sinkerballers. Even the bad ones can help.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/20/09 08:43 PM

man i wonder how much wang gave up just on his own.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/21/09 12:41 AM

Yes, 20 were hit in the last 4 games and I believe 15 of them were hit to right field. So, to say it's a small porch would be an understatement. Am I worried? No, because it's the same distance for Yankee hitters as it is for opposing players.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/21/09 01:00 AM

But you don't want your stadium to be a joke like Colorado was all those years before they started using that humidor.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/21/09 03:30 PM

The headline sports story in today's NY Daily News is about what might wrong with Yankee Stadium.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/21/09 04:07 PM

it's not a question of being unfair, because of course "it's the same distance for Yankee hitters as it is for opposing players" but several people believe and I agree that a pitcher friendly park is much more valuable to the home team because they can develop their pitchers better, teaching them how to use the ballpark in their favor.

as for hitting, either you can hit or you can't.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/21/09 04:23 PM

The headline sports story in today's NY Daily News is about what might wrong with Yankee Stadium.

What did they suggest?
Posted By: goombah

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/21/09 04:31 PM

...I agree that a pitcher friendly park is much more valuable to the home team because they can develop their pitchers better, teaching them how to use the ballpark in their favor.

Somebody better get that concept understood by Wang. He looks like he's throwing batting practice so far this year.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/21/09 04:57 PM

What did they suggest?

There weren't any solutions. The theory is that the new stadium faces southeast, and the old stadium faced east. Northwest winds facing less resistance in the new stadium due to its new shape, are blowing down the slope of the upper deck, across the field, and up over the right field wall. They also say that perhaps when the winds changes direction in the summer it might not be as bad.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/22/09 04:40 PM

Originally Posted By: goombah
...I agree that a pitcher friendly park is much more valuable to the home team because they can develop their pitchers better, teaching them how to use the ballpark in their favor.

Somebody better get that concept understood by Wang. He looks like he's throwing batting practice so far this year.

Opposing batters are hitting .622. That's better than batting practice. panic

Goomb, that was pretty rude of your Injuns....22-4. My daughter was at the game....groan. sick

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/22/09 06:38 PM

4 innings so far today, 4 more homeruns. rolleyes lol

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/23/09 01:42 AM

so did they lose today then?

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/23/09 03:11 AM

No, they won in extra innings. Melky hit a homer to win it

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/23/09 03:19 AM

surprised by that then lol...so is that 5 homeruns in that game?

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/23/09 03:36 AM

I get the feeling BAM hates the Yankees.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/23/09 10:46 AM

After the disaster that was last season, I was very happy for Melky. Good for him! And good for the Yankees. A very disappointing outing for Sabathia, though.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/23/09 01:25 PM

The Yankees are finding unscripted ways to win, which is what good teams do. They did a good job of realizing that the 22-4 loss was just one game in the L column and was no different than a one run loss in the big scheme of things. It will be interesting to see if Wang bounces back.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/23/09 07:21 PM

The Yankees are finding unscripted ways to win, which is what good teams do. They did a good job of realizing that the 22-4 loss was just one game in the L column and was no different than a one run loss in the big scheme of things. It will be interesting to see if Wang bounces back.

He will likely be going to the minors/rehab/DL, whatever. He is very much needed in the rotation - the Wang of 2 years ago.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/23/09 07:27 PM

i hate the team, but the history i respect (even though i hate the '32 team...fucking call shot).

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/23/09 07:43 PM

A very disappointing outing for Sabathia, though.

Remember last year he was one of the worst pitchers in baseball the first month or so of the season. So hopefully this year will be the same.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/24/09 02:18 AM

A positive sign at least:

Wang K's 11 in extended spring training game

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/24/09 02:43 AM

Yes, 20 were hit in the last 4 games and I believe 15 of them were hit to right field. So, to say it's a small porch would be an understatement. Am I worried? No, because it's the same distance for Yankee hitters as it is for opposing players.

I was thinking about this some more and the problem with it is that when you have good pitchers, like Sabathia, pitching in a park that can destroy them, it messes with their heads. Most pitchers need to feel routine, and if they pitch a couple of bad games at home, they will probably pitch a bad game on the road as well.

Colorado was a perfect example of that. Before the humidor they tried to get the best pitchers they could, but when that high altitude screwed up their game and rhythm they would go on the road and pitch bad as well because their confidence was shot.

I hope the Yankees can do something to fix this homerun problem because the better quality stadiums there are across the country the better it is for the sport.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/25/09 01:20 AM

...yeah, but how about the 9 hits. It seems there is something still physically wrong, or he's lost it upstairs.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/25/09 01:31 AM

i thought 9 hits was normal

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/25/09 11:55 AM

Originally Posted By: MaryCas

...yeah, but how about the 9 hits. It seems there is something still physically wrong, or he's lost it upstairs.

I watched part of last night's game on our MLB Ticket, which gave us the Red Sox telecast from NESN. Their take on Wang's outing is that he got rocked by low level minor leaguers. It's funny to see the spin each side puts on Wang..

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/25/09 01:02 PM

Yankees put Chien-Ming Wang on DL because of hip problem

BY Mark Feinsand
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Saturday, April 25th 2009, 4:00 AM

BOSTON - Chien-Ming Wang won't be back on a mound for the Yankees for at least the next few weeks, as the Bombers believe they have located the root of the righthander's problems.

Wang was placed on the disabled list following Friday night's 5-4, 11th-inning loss to the Red Sox, with a condition general manager Brian Cashman called "weak abductor muscles in his hips," a problem diagnosed by Dr. Mark Lindsay, the rehab specialist currently working with Alex Rodriguez in Tampa.

Wang was examined by Lindsay on Thursday, as the Yankees searched for answers after the former ace opened the season 0-3 with a 34.50 ERA.

"That's what's preventing the power. It all has to do with the Lisfranc issue," Cashman said, referring to the ligament tear in Wang's right foot that cost him the final 3-1/2 months of the 2008 season. Wang will work with Lindsay to rehab the hips for the next 10-14 days, though he will continue a throwing program during that time. Cashman had no timetable for Wang's return.

Dave Robertson will join the Yankees today to take Wang's spot on the roster. Wang's next turn in the rotation would have come Tuesday in Detroit. Phil Hughes is the obvious candidate to replace him, as he would be on normal rest after improving to 3-0 with a 1.86 ERA in three starts for Triple-A Scranton on Thursday.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/27/09 03:19 AM

Can you spell "sweep"??

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/27/09 12:47 PM

That was an impressive series for the red hot Red Sox. I thought last night's game was particularly interesting with the straight steal of home and the 3+ innings of scoreless relief from the rookies. That was a tacit statement of "Our farm system is pretty good. How's yours?"

It's certainly not panic time yet, but the Yankee front office has been known to speak apocolyptically in April. They probably realize that after committing $400 million to the roster's payroll in the off-season, they still have to reel in additional talent if they're going to win the division.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/28/09 02:40 AM

They probably realize that after committing $400 million to the roster's payroll in the off-season, they still have to reel in additional talent if they're going to win the division.

That statement is true and so sad.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/28/09 03:11 AM

money cant buy championships...what they need is good scouting. i mean really was it money that brought in the iron horse, mantle, dimagio, berria, or any other yankee legend. ever since steinbreiner came in it was all money with the biggest names.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/28/09 12:21 PM

i mean really was it money that brought in the iron horse, mantle, dimagio, berria, or any other yankee legend.

Free agency wasn't around during the days of the Iron Horse, Mangle, DiMagio, and Berrias. And yes, money did buy Yankee legends Catfish Hunter and Reggie Jackson

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/28/09 09:04 PM

look what i was trying to get too is better scouting...and its stupid to think that high paid players always get to the world series.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/28/09 09:10 PM

DETROIT -- The Yankees have cut ticket prices, according to a release sent by the team, which also includes a statement from managing general partner Hal Steinbrenner:

A few weeks ago I indicated that in light of the economy we would review the pricing of a small number of our premium locations at Yankee Stadium; specifically, our Suite Seats. I mentioned a small number of locations because in excess of 3.4 million seats, including 37,000 full season equivalents as well as approximately 85% of all our premium locations have already been sold. Yet, there are a few hundred Suite Seats in our premium locations that have not been sold on a full season basis. As a result, and for many of our fans who have already purchased full season Suite Seats in such premium locations, the Yankees are announcing today a program that adjusts certain prices and benefits affecting such Suite Seats.

The release also gives a rundown of ticket prices:

For the 2009 regular season only, the following price adjustments and benefits are being adopted effective immediately for a few hundred Legends Suite and Delta Sky 360 Suite Licensees.

A. The full season Legends Suite and Ticket Licenses in the first row in Sections 15A, 15B, 24B and 25 will be reduced from $2,500 to $1,250 per regular season game. All fans who have purchased such full season Suite and Ticket Licenses will receive, at their choice, a refund or a credit.

B. The full season Legends Suite and Ticket Licenses in the first row in Sections 11, 12, 13, 27B, 28 and 29 will be reduced from $1,000 to $650 per regular season game. All fans who have purchased such full season Suite and Ticket Licenses will receive, at their choice, a refund or a credit.

C. All fans who purchased full season $2,500 Legends Suite and Ticket Licenses in the first row, in Sections 16 - 24A, will receive an equal number of complimentary Legends Suite Seats in the first row in Sections 16 -- 24A for each of the remaining regular season games during the 2009 regular season.

D. All fans who purchased full season $1,250 Legends Suite and Ticket Licenses will receive an equal number of complimentary Legends Suite Seats in the $1,250 Legends Suite price category for 24 games during the 2009 regular season, as selected by the Yankees.

E. All fans who purchased full season $850 Legends Suite and Ticket Licenses will receive an equal number of complimentary Legends Suite Seats in the $850 Legends Suite price category for 8 games and in the $500 Legends Suite price category for 4 games during the 2009 regular season, as selected by the Yankees.

F. All fans who purchased full season $600 Legends Suite and Ticket Licenses will receive an equal number of complimentary Legends Suite Seats in the $500 Legends Suite price category for 10 games during the 2009 regular season, as selected by the Yankees.

G. All fans who purchased full season $500 Legends Suite and Ticket Licenses will receive an equal number of complimentary Legends Suite Seats in the $500 Legends Suite price category for 8 games during the 2009 regular season, as selected by the Yankees.

H. Future 2009 regular season sales of full season $1,250, $850, $600 and $500 Legends Suite and Ticket Licenses, will receive comparable (dependent upon the price of the Legends Suite and Ticket License) benefits during the 2009 regular season, subject to availability.

I. The Delta SKY 360 Suite and Ticket Licenses in the first row in Sections 218A - 222 will be reduced from $750 to $550 for each regular season game. All fans who have purchased such full season Suite and Ticket Licenses will receive, at their choice, a refund or a credit.

In addition, for 2009, so as to encourage fans to purchase full season ticket plans in the Field Level Sections 115 - 125, the Yankees are also adopting a program affecting a few hundred seats. And, for our fans who have already purchased, on a full season basis such Field Level seating priced at $325 Sections 115 - 125, the following program is being adopted effective immediately:

A. Going forward all fans when purchasing, on a full season basis, three (3) full regular season ticket plans priced at $325 per regular season game in Sections 115 - 125 will receive a fourth full regular season ticket at no additional cost.

B. All fans who have purchased full season plans priced at $325 per regular season game will receive complimentary regular season tickets within Sections 115 - 125 for remaining regular season games during the 2009 regular season as follows:

1. If you purchased two (2) or three (3) full season tickets you will receive two (2) tickets for every other regular season game, commencing with either the Thursday evening game on April 30, 2009 or the Friday evening game on May 1, 2009 and alternating for the remainder of the season.

2. If you purchased four (4) or five (5) full season tickets you will receive two (2) tickets for every regular season game during the balance of the 2009 regular season, commencing with the Thursday evening game on April 30, 2009.

3. If you purchased six (6) or seven (7) full season tickets you will receive three (3) tickets for every regular season game during the balance of the 2009 regular season, commencing with the Thursday evening game on April 30, 2009.

4. If you purchased eight (8) full season tickets you will receive four (4) tickets for every regular season game during the balance of the 2009 regular season, commencing with the Thursday evening game on April 30, 2009.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/29/09 10:22 AM

All I can say is wow. An impressive start for young Mr. Hughes. Look at this line:

6 innings, 2 hits, 0 runs, 2 BB, 6 SO, 1-0 with a 0.00 ERA

A GREAT win to snap a 4 game losing streak and Boston's winning streak is over too grin

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/29/09 03:22 PM

It was a great outing for him. I hope he can keep it up. Hughes has great potential. Now, if they can get Wang back on track...

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/29/09 04:29 PM

I heard on ESPN Joba may go back to the bullpen. I'm assuming they'll keep Hughes in the rotation and Wang will take Joba's spot, bumping him back to the pen. So it looks like everyone's wish about Joba in the pen may FINALLY come true.

But, first I wanna see how long Hughes keeps this up and if Wang can rebound. Both of those questions first need to be answered before I even consider endorsing that move.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/29/09 04:57 PM

I was always an advocate for doing exactly that - bringing Hughes up and returning Joba to the bullpen. However, with Wang out of the rotation, I don't know if that's possible. If Wang gets back on track, then I think it would be perfect!

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/29/09 06:50 PM

I heard on ESPN Joba may go back to the bullpen. I'm assuming they'll keep Hughes in the rotation and Wang will take Joba's spot, bumping him back to the pen. So it looks like everyone's wish about Joba in the pen may FINALLY come true.

But, first I wanna see how long Hughes keeps this up and if Wang can rebound. Both of those questions first need to be answered before I even consider endorsing that move.

It always seemed to me that there was an excessive amount of attention paid to Chamberlain's innings as a starter. It was almost as if they didn't have a lot of faith in him as a starter. I heard that his velocity is considerably less than what it was. Anyway, Peter Gammons was calling for his move to the pen for a week now.. They need a reliable set up man.

I agree with you that I'd want to see how Hughes does with 6 or 7 consecutive starts. He has potential, but has been plagued by injury and inconsistency

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/29/09 10:19 PM

I was always an advocate for doing exactly that - bringing Hughes up and returning Joba to the bullpen. However, with Wang out of the rotation, I don't know if that's possible. If Wang gets back on track, then I think it would be perfect!

But again, if you do this, who's the 5th starter next year?

-Sabathia
-Burnett
-Wang
-Hughes
-? (Pettitte's gone after this season).

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/29/09 11:55 PM

hey sign me up...i mean i cant do much bad compare to who ever the yankees have.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/30/09 12:21 AM

-Sabathia
-Burnett
-Wang
-Hughes

Don't worry about next year. This is the year that counts. grin

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/30/09 02:44 AM

yea this year relly counts! i can see it the new york yankees with 58 wins! lol

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/30/09 10:32 AM

Another impressive outing by Joba:

7 innings, 3 hits, 1 run, 3 BB, 6 SO, 1-0 with a 3.13 ERA

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/30/09 11:56 AM

-Sabathia
-Burnett
-Wang
-Hughes

They'll get Halladay from Toronto! grin Isn't his contract up with the Jays after this season??

Man, I was sort of kidding about that, but I would LOVE it.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 04/30/09 11:16 PM

I'd love it too but not a chance in hell unfortunately.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 05/01/09 12:45 PM

Halladay may be the most valuable commodity in baseball. There are pitchers, who may display a little more talent, but Halladay is the only guy, who takes the mound planning to finish the game every time. He's a very gutsty player.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 05/05/09 05:14 AM

The Red Sox win .... The Reddddd Soxxxxx winnnnnn!

clap

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 05/05/09 05:56 AM

Originally Posted By: SC

clap

I really don't recall anyone asking about the score. tongue

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 05/05/09 07:26 AM

Originally Posted By: J Geoff

I really don't recall anyone asking about the score.

That's why I didn't give it.
Posted By: goombah

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 05/05/09 02:15 PM

Since I'm not in New York, how have the media treated Sabathia after his terrible start?

I'm guessing that he is going to hate the constant attention for the next 7 years. I would bet that if things do not improve soon, he will be kicking himself for not signing in his homestate of California and playing for a National League team.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 05/05/09 02:18 PM

Since I'm not in New York, how have the media treated Sabathia after his terrible start?

The media's been okay to him, Goombah. But I think the fans are just on the edge of booing him, if they haven't already. If his next outing is another bad one, I suspect they will.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 05/06/09 12:09 AM

I'm guessing that he is going to hate the constant attention for the next 7 years. I would bet that if things do not improve soon, he will be kicking himself for not signing in his homestate of California and playing for a National League team.

He has an opt-out clause after 3 years. He'll do his 3 and opt-out regardless if they win the Series or not.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 05/06/09 03:05 AM

clap

Didn't feel like typing the whole message again. whistle

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 05/06/09 02:18 PM

......yeah, but they still SUCK

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 05/07/09 02:24 PM

Every so often, elderly people with Alzheimer's, and even dementia, have been known to have a lucid moment or two. Joe Girardi better hope that Big George doesn't have one any time soon. If the man had his faculties, and this was ten, fifteen years ago, Girardi's sorry ass would be toast. Mattingly and Torre are both way too classy to publicly gloat, but I'll bet they're both privately laughing their asses off.

I was in the car late last night listening to John Sterling grumble how the Yankees just couldn't catch a break. He actually used those words---couldn't catch a break. Uhm, sorry John, when your team can afford the highest payroll in the history of organized sports---that's any sport---that's a pretty big break in and of itself. You guys know I'm a Met fan, but a Bronx guy too, so I really try to give the Yankees my support, unless they're playing the Mets. But listening to John Sterling and that groupie, Suzyn Waldman, makes it really difficult. Yankee fans deserve better than those two boneheads.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 05/07/09 02:48 PM

I couldn't agree with you more about Waldman and Sterling. IMO, they are truly awful. Most of my friends are Yankee fans. All agree that Waldman is the worst, and I'd say they're split about 50/50 on Sterling.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 05/07/09 03:55 PM

Sterling has been there a long time. I never cared for him, but I thought Michael Kay was pretty good. Kay made a comment a year or two ago that Ian Kennedy, after giving up 5 or 6 runs in an abbreviated start, told reporters that he thought he pitched well. Kay said that comment, more than his poor pitching, will lose the respect of his teammates. That's commentary that a lot of announcers don't make.

Also, Ken Singleton got himself in a little bit of hot water by commenting on all the lower level empty seats during the shortened series with Boston.

Bill White was a good announcer in the 70s. I usually got sick of Phil Rizzuto, and Frank Messer was like a dish of vanilla yogurt.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 05/07/09 05:14 PM

Mariano threw an 18 pitch ninth inning last night, in which he was stellar. He was coming off a full week off. Now why, on God's earth, didn't Girardi bring him right back in the tenth inning?

Bad move by Girardi.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 05/07/09 08:10 PM

Mariano threw an 18 pitch ninth inning last night, in which he was stellar. He was coming off a full week off. Now why, on God's earth, didn't Girardi bring him right back in the tenth inning?

Bad move by Girardi.

Goose Gossage, Bruce Sutter and Tug McGraw would give you three innings and beg to stay in for the fourth.

I agree with you that Rivera should have stayed in, especially when the next guy in is Coke.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 05/07/09 10:14 PM

I was in the car late last night listening to John Sterling grumble how the Yankees just couldn't catch a break. He actually used those words---couldn't catch a break. Uhm, sorry John, when your team can afford the highest payroll in the history of organized sports---that's any sport---that's a pretty big break in and of itself.

Yes, but let us not forget there's been too many injuries too early in the season and slow starts by CC Sabathia and Mark Teixeira. Also Alex Rodriguez hasn't played a game yet, Chien-Ming Wang went down early and Jorge Posada & Brian Bruney & Xavier Nady are all on the DL as well.

As for John Sterling, I enjoy him. A lot of people I know hate Michael Kay. I don't hate him but I'd take Sterling, John Miller or Joe Morgan over him any day of the week!

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 05/07/09 10:27 PM

Yeah, but when you put an old team on the field that's the chance you take. They're gonna have injuries.

As for slow starts by CC and Teixeira, well boo-fuckin-hoo-hoo. They make more in a year than some small countries.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 05/08/09 02:28 AM

That was just terrible. Mo taken out in the 9th?? Oh, my. How many times has that ever happened?? Has it ever happened??

Now they have to 3 runs to score for a win.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 05/08/09 04:14 AM

That was just terrible. Mo taken out in the 9th?? Oh, my. How many times has that ever happened?? Has it ever happened??

I have a theory about closers in today's game, which is that they are not as effective in non-save situations or in "sudden save" situations. Both situations combined on Rivera, still an outstanding closer, to make his outing especially difficult. I'll explain my theory.

Saving ball games as a pitcher is one of the most stressful positions in sports, similar to a hockey goalie in overtime or a kicker in football lining up for a game winning kick. The present role of the closer is that he only pitch in the final inning when his team holds a slim lead. Therefore, unlike any other role in baseball, the closer participates almost exclusively in high intensity situations. We don't see many successful rookie or really young closers because they haven't developed or conditioned the steely psyche necessary to handle the potential pressure on a daily basis. The final inning is when the trailing team pulls out all stops, like pinch hitters, to plate the run(s).

Now pitching- effective pitching- is mostly mental. The closer is best suited to save the game when his team has a lead throughout the game. When his team is losing by a few runs late in the game (or winning by a large margin), the focus of the closer isn't the same as nobody is anticipating his service.

Here the Yankees were trailing in the bottom of the 8th by 2 with two out when they got a hit and homer that suddenly tied it going to the 9th where Rivera was logically but hurriedly summoned. Not only did his services become abruptly required, but the circumstances of his appearance were different, namely, keeping the team in it, rather than close it out. It wasn't so much that rivera didn't get enough time to get physically loose, but the circumstances of the game did not afford the time or type of game that allows the deep mental preparation to achieve the level of tenacity. I don't mean to imply that exceptional closers, like Rivera, can't function in non-save situations, or that they are unfocused in what appears to be a non-save game, but the natural momentum of a game heightens the conditioned sense or feel for the moment that closers develop to deal with the constant pressure of their jobs.

I have found also that closers have a harder time saving games when a large lead evaporated to a 1 run lead in the 8th than when his team held a 1 run lead since the third inning. Obviously, this theory isn't absolute.

I have always compared closers with kickers in football. Several years ago there was a game where the Saints were trailing by 7 and they were about 70 yards from the end zone with 5 seconds, and they inexplicably scored on a wild play with four or five laterals. The kicker promptly came on the field and missed the extra point. Up until the touchdown the circumstances and momentum of the game did not allow the focus that he would be kicking a game tying extra point. I believe if they were 3 minutes on the clock and they drove down the fied and scored on a 5 yard pass, the kicker would have been in a more comfortable focused mindset.

Notice that when a save situation is pending in the 7th or 8th, or in the final moments of a football game where a team is poised for getting into field goal range for a game winning kick, nobody talks to the closer or the kicker, who have to get to that happy place where the excitement of the moment doesn't interfere with focus.

Let's not feel too bad for our buddy, Mariano Rivera tonight. He still had a better day than Manny Ramirez. smile Sorry for the length of this post.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 05/08/09 10:40 AM

8 more homeruns at the stadium last night. ohwell

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 05/08/09 11:59 AM

Klyd, I love reading your posts. I can see your point, but I still think it was a bad moment for Mo. There was a shot of him in the dugout afterwards, and he looked as if he were on the verge of tears.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 05/08/09 12:42 PM

There was a shot of him in the dugout afterwards, and he looked as if he were on the verge of tears.

Baseball has a way of ripping your heart into pieces.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 05/08/09 02:52 PM

There was a shot of him in the dugout afterwards, and he looked as if he were on the verge of tears.

Baseball has a way of ripping your heart into pieces.

But then you're comforted by the millions of dollars you've been paid to play a game, not to mention the endorsements. grin

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 05/08/09 06:29 PM

That'll take the sting out of it. wink

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 05/08/09 08:59 PM

is the old (better) yankee stadium still up or is it totally gone now?

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 05/09/09 12:47 AM

Pretty sure it's still up.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 05/09/09 12:52 AM

It's still up, but they've started some minor demolition in the outfield.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 05/09/09 12:56 AM

they should just keep that up, and play their...might help them win some games.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 05/09/09 01:50 AM

A GREAT performance by CC tonight. This is EXACTLY what they needed tonight:

9 innings, 4 hits, 0 runs, 1 BB, 8 SO

And oh yeah, A-Rod homered in his first at-bat (first pitch no less)

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 05/09/09 02:25 AM

My closer theory strikes again. Brad Lidge was brought into the 9th inning with a 7 run lead in a game his Phillies were winning comfortably for much of the game. In the nonsave situation he gave up 3 runs.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 05/09/09 05:21 AM

Kly, it's that closer mentality you've talked about. The best closers are all a little crazy or strange in some way, including coming in with a huge lead. A big lead is too normal for them so it seems like they can't focus. It's like they NEED the pressure of a close game.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 05/09/09 05:53 AM

Kly, it's that closer mentality you've talked about. The best closers are all a little crazy or strange in some way, including coming in with a huge lead. A big lead is too normal for them so it seems like they can't focus. It's like they NEED the pressure of a close game.

Yes. And it's not that they can't function, but it's the sense of the moment, the close game, that allows them or fuels them to achieve that heightened level of performance that insulates them from the excitement or pressure building about them and separates them from their teammates.

You made a good point about relievers and closers, in particular,being a bit strange and bizarre, which is like a built in mechanism that helps them cope with the daily pressures of their job, and is reflected in their appearance, often a hair or beard style that sets them apart from others. Of course, the rule isn't absolute, but the prototypical closer is very introspective and usually, despite his quirkiness, has limited interaction with his teammates. Closers also have relatively little to say to the press.

Because of this specialized and conditioned focus and tunnel vision, there aren't many closers in the coaching ranks after the careers are over. You'll always see former catchers rise fastest in the managerial ranks and in tv commentary. They are the natural extroverts, the link between the pitching staff and position players, the interpreter between management and players, the field leader.

The closer's trsits, I'd argue, are shared by kickers in football. They exist in their own world until called upon to perform, often in high pressure.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 05/09/09 11:22 AM

It was a great game. Great pitching, great fielding, great bats.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 05/10/09 01:47 AM

It was a great game. Great pitching, great fielding, great bats.

And in the bottom of the eighth inning of tonight's game, I can see the opposite of that. Baltimore?? Really?? What a freaking disaster. An even dozen runs. How absurd.
Posted By: Don Smitty

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 05/10/09 02:27 PM

Its not looking good for the Yankees is it? What a shame.

ds

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 05/11/09 02:42 PM

Thank God for Johnny Damon right now. I hope Joba knows enough to take him out to dinner or something.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 05/11/09 03:39 PM

I was quite appreciative of Mr. Damon's Mother's Day gift.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 05/12/09 11:07 PM

Ex-player: Red Sox taught steroids use

Former Red Sox infielder Lou Merloni has caused a bit of a storm lately with comments that the Red Sox taught players how to use steroids. This is a hot topic in Boston because former Red Sox outfielder Manny Ramirez failed a performance-enhancing drug test while with the Dodgers. Merloni, an analyst on Comcast's "The Baseball Show," had this to say Saturday: "I'm in spring training, and I got an 8:30-9:00 meeting in the morning," said Merloni, who was in the Red Sox minor-league system from 1996-97 and played in the big leagues with them from 1998-2002. "And I walk into that office, and this happened while I was with the Boston Red Sox before this last regime, I'm sitting in the meeting. There's a doctor up there and he's talking about steroids, and everyone was like 'Here we go, we're gonna sit here and get the whole thing -- they're bad for you.' No. He spins it and says 'You know what, if you take steroids and sit on the couch all winter long, you can actually get stronger than someone who works out clean, if you're going to take steroids, one cycle won't hurt you, abusing steroids it will.' He sat there for one hour and told us how to properly use steroids while I'm with the Boston Red Sox, sitting there with the rest of the organization, and after this I said 'What the heck was that?' And everybody on the team was like 'What was that?' And the response we got was 'Well, we know guys are taking it, so we want to make sure they're taking it the right way'... Where did that come from? That didn't come from the Players Association." Merloni said he couldn't remember the name of the doctor or what year the meeting took place. Boston's general manager at the time, Dan Duquette, adamantly denied the accusations to Boston.com.

Source: Fan Nation

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 05/12/09 11:18 PM

Quite frankly, who gives a shit? He can't remember who or when, blah, blah, blah. There were quite a number of players doing it, whether they were with Boston, NY, LA, whatever. What does it matter?

This point of this is to talk about THE YANKEES, and how they play. Let's try to get back on topic.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 05/13/09 02:08 AM

the yankees suck...see i got back onto the conversation. lol

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 05/13/09 10:55 AM

I guess I'm glad that I missed last night's game. Toronto is a good team.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 05/13/09 12:41 PM

I guess I'm glad that I missed last night's game. Toronto is a good team.

There is no pitcher more dependable than Roy Hallady. He has no problem finishing what he starts. His value to the team is just not limited to excellent pitching, but he gives the bullpen a rest by pitching complete games or very deep into games.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 05/13/09 01:52 PM

You're right, and considering that they had both Halladay and Burnett last season, I was surprised that they didn't have a better year.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 05/13/09 02:13 PM

It looks like the Jays are for real, making the AL east just about the toughest division in baseball. .500 ball ain't gonna cut it.

Babe is right, Irish. Worry about your team, not whether or not other teams are cheating. That's almost like complaining about the umps, or arguing balls and strikes. It's futile, and it doesn't do anything to right the ship. Right now, the Yanks have to focus on getting back to .500, at the very least.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 05/13/09 03:43 PM

Babe is right

And it gets rather exhausting... tongue

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 05/14/09 10:56 AM

And the Yankees win!! But without Jeter!!! WTH? How do you get a sore oblique?

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 05/14/09 01:31 PM

And the Yankees win!! But without Jeter!!! WTH? How do you get a sore oblique?

From all the comedy he's been playing with those young girls... wink

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 05/16/09 12:34 PM

Notice how I'm ignoring DS's claim that Mr. Jeter has any interest in other women??

The Yankees pulled a nice one out of the hat last night. And good for Melky! Last season he was sent back to the minors in disgrace; this season he's won two games for them in the bottom of the 9th!

The team ran onto the field to hug Melky. All the players were in their little cluster, jumping up and down and hugging one another. And the camera moved for a moment, and ARod was all by himself, kind of dancing around all alone. I think that pretty much sums up his relationship as part of the team, no???

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 05/16/09 08:50 PM

A-Rod comes through with a walkoff homerun and I'm really happy for him. After everything he's gone through for the past couple of months: the steroid scandal, his hip surgery, glad he could come back and contribute in a positive way. He hasn't had too many of these moments as a Yankee so you savor them when you get them.

Joba pitched well also: 6 innings, 3 hits, 2 runs, 4 BB, 6 SO and a 3.76 ERA

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 05/16/09 11:03 PM

a-roid will never be accepted in new york unless he can play in october.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 05/19/09 02:09 PM

The Yankees were impressive this weekend. They looked like a team more than a collection of superstars. I hope this silliness ends when the Phillies come to town this weekend.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 05/19/09 02:16 PM

Finally, the Yankees are winning games that the would have lost a few weeks ago. Last night's game could easily have been lost by the bullpen, but the bats kept them winning.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 05/21/09 06:10 PM

Yankee Stadium is now on pace to break Coors Field 1999 HR record.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 05/22/09 02:32 AM

What's that? 9 in a row?

I think it's impossible for the Phillies to win a game this weekend.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 05/23/09 04:14 PM

I think it's impossible for the Phillies to win a game this weekend.

You can thank us later, Klyd.
Posted By: Don Smitty

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 05/24/09 09:00 PM

The Yankees are going to win.

ds

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 05/24/09 11:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Don Smitty
The Yankees are going to win.

ds

I thought only I could deliver a jinx.

Lidge tried to give another one away. Obviously I was glad that the Phils were able to pick him up in the 11th. But I have to say that yesterday's and today's games were well played by both teams, who worked every at bat hard, offensively and defensively. The Yankee hitters are running deep counts at the plate and getting a lot of 3-2 hits. They are aggressive on the base paths.

They did the right thing by not sacrificing Texiera in the ninth. While I'm a fan of the home team ninth inning sacrifice, especially with first and second and nobody out, a sacrifice would have effectively removed the bat from the hands of their two best hitters, and left winning the game to less skilled and experienced hitters.

I thought the Phillies' shift in that situation was an invitation to bunt, but the Yankees didn't accept. Even though Tex grounded into the DP, I think it was the wise move.

And SB, the real reason the Phillies won on Fri. and Sunday:
pork chops on Fri. and today I was at a pig roast. No pork on Sat. and they lose.

Finally, I missed most of the extra innings as I was picking up my son at work. He works game days for our AA baseball team, an affiliate of the Nationals. While their game was over and I was waiting for him to finish up, I found a big tv in a concession area tuned into the Phl/NY game in the bottom of the 11th. The AA team had been lined up for and finished a promotional autograph session, and former Met, John Stearns, who manages the team, came over and watched part of the final inning with me.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 05/28/09 10:37 AM

Yankees are tied for first! grin Good start by Burnett. He needed that and way to cool off hot hitting Rangers by taking 2 out of 3 on the road.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 05/28/09 07:11 PM

While every team has questions, the Yankees have the fewest questions right now within their division. I expect Boston to make a barrage of deals to get some help. There's talk of Nick Johnson, but Washington wants a ton in return. I'm thinking that they acquire Matt Holliday from the A's even though he's righthanded to take the place of Ortiz. There's also talk of the Sox getting Jhonny Peralta from Cleveland to play SS for prospects acquired from a trade of Brad Penny.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 05/30/09 01:54 PM

With the win, the Yankees moved into sole possession of first place in the AL East for the first time since they won the division in 2006 cool

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 05/31/09 02:24 AM

And the Yankees wiiiiinnnnn! Nice job against the Tribe tonight.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 06/02/09 01:37 PM

I love the title of this article lol Also, congrats to the Yanks for setting a new major league record for consecutive games with an error (18 and counting) clap

KICKIN' SOME MASS.

The Yankees have not won a game in 2009 vs. the Red Sox, and yet may have one of the most important victories in years over their main rival.

That is because the Yankees got Mark Teixeira. And the Red Sox didn't.

Teixeira has upgraded the Yankees' offense and -- don't ignore this -- been the key in transforming the defense from wretched to respected.

Meanwhile, the Red Sox did not add a player whose presence would have made David Ortiz's plummet more tolerable.

Boston appeared the frontrunner for Teixeira last December, but the Yankees entered the bidding late to win the switch-hitter. Had the Red Sox prevailed, they wanted to move Kevin Youkilis to third and use Mike Lowell as a trading chip.

Lowell has been fantastic this year. Still, the Red Sox probably need to add lefty production. They will likely have to use assets -- notably from a deep reserve of pitching prospects -- to find it. And without Teixeira, the Red Sox could feel greater pressure to retain free-agent-to-be Jason Bay, who has performed like an MVP this season.

Clearly, the Red Sox were imagining a five-year-plus phase in which Teixeira, Dustin Pedroia and Youkilis would form their daily backbone. So it has been a loss for the Red Sox. Obviously that makes it a gain for the Yankees.

And it is about time.

Because when it has come to Yankees-Red Sox personnel decisions, Boston has enjoyed an upper hand that has led to championships, even when it has lost out on a player that both rivals value.

The Red Sox went after Alex Rodriguez, did not get him and won the World Series at the end of that season, anyway. They lost out on Jose Contreras, who never blossomed into a front-of-the-rotation stalwart for the Yankees. They lost out on Carl Pavano, and that was an exhale of relief you just heard from New England.

And when it has come to plucking from the same venues, the Red Sox obtained Curt Schilling from the Diamondbacks, the Yanks Randy Johnson; the Red Sox bought Daisuke Matsuzaka from Japan, the Yanks Kei Igawa; the Red Sox landed Josh Beckett from Florida, the Yanks Pavano; the Red Sox acquired Bay from Pittsburgh, the Yanks Xavier Nady.

The Yanks needed to stem that trend. That is why Brian Cashman became such a pest to the Steinbrenner family during the offseason. He knew the offseason philosophy was starting pitching, starting pitching and more starting pitching. Yet Cashman constantly let ownership know he wanted Teixeira despite a budget that precluded such a move if the Yanks -- as they hoped -- got CC Sabathia and another big starter such as A.J. Burnett, which was the plan.

Cashman told Teixeira in a Washington, D.C., meeting that he wanted the first baseman, but that he was a backburner issue to pitching. Teixeira, however, was represented by Scott Boras, and Boras is a master of employing patience with his best free-agent clients to gain a true rendering of who the suitors are and what they are willing to do.

Once the Yanks landed Sabathia and Burnett, Cashman returned to ownership one last time. He pledged to trim elsewhere, beginning with the removal of a $12 million bid for Andy Pettitte. After that he made essentially this pitch: Teixeira is exactly what the Yanks need, his kind of prime-age positional difference maker will not be available again soon in free agency and -- vitally -- if the Yanks don't sign him, Boston almost certainly will.

"Thankfully, I kept saying it and thankfully they (ownership) let me keep mentioning (Teixeira's) name without throwing me out of the office," Cashman said. "I knocked on that door enough and Hal finally authorized an offer."

The Yanks got their man for eight years at $180 million. After a slow start, Teixeira was second in the AL in homers, fourth in RBIs and turned hits into outs at first in a way not seen by the Yanks since Don Mattingly (sorry, Tino, this guy is better).

And if he wasn't doing all of this for the Yanks, Teixeira almost certainly would be haunting them in Boston. That is one big victory in the Rivalry.

Source: NY Post

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 06/02/09 02:32 PM

seriously, what-a-WEAK article.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 06/02/09 08:47 PM

Yeah, I thought so too. Probably because it praises the Yankees instead of ripping them, huh?

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 06/03/09 02:52 AM

well, not just that!

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 06/03/09 03:15 AM

yankees suck lol hahah yeankees suck hahahahahah lol. (A lot of that in this thread lately, no?)

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 06/03/09 03:17 AM

i can totally agree with blib on this lol

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 06/03/09 10:50 AM

Then go post somewhere else! tongue

Personally, I was pretty happy to see them play so well last night. They were a pleasure to watch.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 06/03/09 02:11 PM

My younger son will be at the 1 pm game tomorrow. Some tickets fell into the lap of his buddy's dad, who called me. I can't go because I have an important appointment in Gettysburg.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 06/03/09 02:50 PM

I'm so jealous, Klyd. I haven't been able to make it to a game yet this year, and it's not looking like I will, either.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 06/03/09 10:15 PM

I'm so jealous, Klyd. I haven't been able to make it to a game yet this year

Me either but I'm telling my brother we're making it down there when I get back from vacation!

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 06/03/09 10:18 PM

I can't go because I have an important appointment in Gettysburg.

Don't forget where the appointment is.... it'd be an infamnia to forget the Gettysburg address.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 06/04/09 11:53 AM

On Jay Leno's last show, he showed clips from "Jay Walking", a segment where he would question people about seemingly simple questions (Who was the first president of the US), but they would get the answers wrong. Sure enough, he asked one girl what the Gettysburg Address was, and she said, "I don't know the EXACT address!"

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 06/04/09 04:29 PM

I can't go because I have an important appointment in Gettysburg.

Don't forget where the appointment is.... it'd be an infamnia to forget the Gettysburg address.

I passed the spot where Lincoln delivered the Address. I had been there years before with some of the boys from my son's cub scout pack. And one boy had to make sure he planted his feet squarely on the spot where Abe stood, and he faced the pack and very seriously and dramatically began, "To be or not to be..."

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 06/07/09 09:17 PM

Question for Yankee fans... who is the broadcaster who says "The Yankees win, TheUHuhUHuhUH Yankees win!"? And does it get on your nerves? I figure it doesn't because you're already happy at the time he says it, but man... how obnoxious. The only other guy who's even more annoying, again don't know his name, is the broadcaster who says after a homerun, "YOU can PUT IT on the BOAAAAAAAAARD, YES!".

Sorry to be negative, but it makes me laugh when I hear those guys because it's so silly!

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 06/07/09 09:43 PM

John Sterling is the Yankee broadcaster. Most Yankee fans I know hate him too. He made an epic gaff the other day when Hideki Matsui hit a HR and he went into his stupid A-Rod "A-Bomb" HR call. lol

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 06/07/09 09:53 PM

that guy is the broadcastor of the dumb ass white sox...dont know his name, but yea

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 06/08/09 12:40 AM

Question for Yankee fans... who is the broadcaster who says "The Yankees win, TheUHuhUHuhUH Yankees win!"?

Michael Kay, he does commentary for the YES network. I don't mind him but I know a lot of people don't like him.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 06/08/09 01:14 AM

Question for Yankee fans... who is the broadcaster who says "The Yankees win, TheUHuhUHuhUH Yankees win!"?

Michael Kay, he does commentary for the YES network. I don't mind him but I know a lot of people don't like him.

That isn't Kay. It's Sterling.
Posted By: Double-J

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 06/08/09 01:27 AM

Question for Yankee fans... who is the broadcaster who says "The Yankees win, TheUHuhUHuhUH Yankees win!"? And does it get on your nerves? I figure it doesn't because you're already happy at the time he says it, but man... how obnoxious. The only other guy who's even more annoying, again don't know his name, is the broadcaster who says after a homerun, "YOU can PUT IT on the BOAAAAAAAAARD, YES!".

Sorry to be negative, but it makes me laugh when I hear those guys because it's so silly!

The only quality broadcasters who cover the Yankees are Ken Singleton, Al Leiter, and Paul O'Neill; they bring depth and knowledge to the game without obscuring it with commentary, notes, and other contrived Kay-isms (the Yankees HAVE to WIN THIS GAMEZ0RZZZ!!!). The rest are pretty bad. John Flaherty is annoying, for some reason. David Cone is a nice guy, I don't mind his voice, but he tries too hard (plus, in an epic gaff last year, he said Ian Kennedy got "jerked off" in the bullpen). Michael Kay is terrible, I mute the game whenever he goes into some sort of tangential conversation (with himself) about the Yankees while shit is happening on the field. John Sterling is the quintessential homer, but he fails...so hard.

Suzan Waldman just makes me want to put a bullet through my left temple.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 06/08/09 01:42 AM

I don't mind John Sterling, but Susan Waldman just grates on my nerves. I like most of the YES announcers, but the one announcer that I can't stand is Joe Buck. When the Yankee games are broadcast on FOX, my husband mutes the TV and puts on the radio.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 06/08/09 02:04 AM

I don't mind John Sterling, but Susan Waldman just grates on my nerves. I like most of the YES announcers, but the one announcer that I can't stand is Joe Buck. When the Yankee games are broadcast on FOX, my husband mutes the TV and puts on the radio.

I tried doing that years ago when Tim McCarver, who I can't stand, was a fill in broadcaster for the Giants, and it was almost worse because of the TV delay. You heard what was happening 4 or 5 seconds before you actually saw it.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 06/08/09 02:19 AM

That is true, Blib, but that's sort of fun! You find out if a strike or a ball is next! Just kidding!

I agree, the delay thing is annoying, but anything is better than listening to Joe Buck!

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 06/08/09 04:56 AM

I don't think Joe Buck is that bad, it's Tim McCarver that he's paired up with that's horrible. I can't believe how often he uses the wrong players names, or mispronounces them. He was run out of town awfully quick in 2002 when he was the fill-in Giants broadcaster when the Giants went up against the Cardinals in the playoffs. He went on and on about how great the Cardinals organization is and that was the year for them to win it all, etc... When he talked about Giants players it was always in a negative tone, even though he was being paid by them. I don't know why he's always there for the World Series.

I'm rambling about broadcasters now. I guess it's because there are so many great ones and I don't understand how the bad ones get some of the best jobs. They must be sucking somebody in charge hard.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 06/08/09 05:08 AM

McCarver did Met game for 15 years, so I feel your pain. He wasn't too bad in the beginning, but he got more full of himself each year.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 06/08/09 07:35 AM

15 years... I feel your pain.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 06/08/09 07:45 AM

To be honest, I thought he was pretty good the first few years. Then he just changed.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 06/08/09 08:28 AM

I thought you were a Yankees fan?? tongue

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 06/08/09 08:36 AM

AMEN! All the FOX announcers suck, Buck especially.

I don't mind Sterling either - he is what he is. Kay & Sterling were great. But Susan is horrendous. OMG, Rogers Clemens is a Yankee!!! lol

How about ol' Al Trautwig from the MSG days? Now he had a face for radio, but he was on TV. lol But he wasn't all that bad I guess, for slow-talking non-action-packed sports. Wasn't he covering gymnastics for a while? lol

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 06/08/09 12:05 PM

I thought you were a Yankees fan?? tongue

Sorry. Out in the sun for 11 hours yesterday. My brain's probably fried. My favorite pair personally is Jon Miller and Joe Morgan for ESPN's Sunday Night Baseball. I also miss Harold Reynolds who's now on the MLB Network.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 06/08/09 01:53 PM

The only other guy who's even more annoying, again don't know his name, is the broadcaster who says after a homerun, "YOU can PUT IT on the BOAAAAAAAAARD, YES!".

BAM was right. He's Ken "Hawk" Harrelson - announcer for the White Sox. I can't stand him, much like I do all announcers who are so blatantly homer.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 06/08/09 01:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Don Sicilia
He's Ken "Hawk" Harrelson - announcer for the White Sox.

He used to play for Boston and was a real fan favorite.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 06/08/09 05:59 PM

I don't really dislike any baseball announcers, but there are some who don't measure up to the others.

I have to agree with those, who were critical of Sterling. His "Yankees Win" call is obnoxious. I don't mind John Kay. I heard him interviewed a number of times on various sports topics, and he's pretty insightful. He can also be more critical than team announcers are used to.

I may have posted this before, but soon after Ian Kennedy made comments that he thought he pitched well in a start where he gave up about 5 runs in 4 or 5 innings, Kay said that it's remarks like that that will make his teammates livid and get you benched or traded. Not many team announcers would bring this up.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 06/08/09 07:09 PM

I'll bet the sight of Rudy Giuliani and Sarah Palin together at yesterday's Yankee game gave DJ a woody. lol

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 06/09/09 02:27 AM

I'll bet the sight of Rudy Giuliani and Sarah Palin together at yesterday's Yankee game gave DJ a woody. lol

Maybe. But if he were listening to Susan Waldman at the time, it wouldn't have lasted.

Big win for the Yankees tonight as they get ready to play Boston.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 06/09/09 02:35 AM

At least my dick would last longer than Jose Reyes' calf.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 06/09/09 10:41 AM

Nice win for the Yankees last night. Are we over 100 HRs in the new stadium yet???

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 06/12/09 08:50 AM

Hey.... look what fell out of this thread when I opened it:

It says "Used by Boston" on it. smile

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 06/12/09 01:57 PM

Unbelievable, SC.

The Red Sox are just in the Yankees heads right now (actually, for about a decade now). I still think both teams are very close "on paper." But head-to-head, the Sox just effing own them, and I can't imagine that changing anytime soon. I doubt that even Sterling-Waldman-Kay would argue that fact.

To throw three of your best and still get swept is very disheartening. When your Ace (Sabatthia) gives you a solid effort in game 3, and you still find a way to lose, well, that just about sums it up.

And Big Papi! The guy's been hibernating all year, like a big, harmless, cuddly bear. And when does he decide to wake up? Against the Yankees of course.

Girardi looked like poop on a plate in the post game.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 06/12/09 07:15 PM

I was watching the Phillie/Met game, but flipping to the Yankee/Sox game too.

At a coaching/umpire clinic given a few years ago, a former MLB coach showed us how to watch a baseball game backwards, and literally made us watch a game from the 27th out to the first. The point was that while we focus on the developments late in a game, games are just as much decided in the early innings as they are in the late innings.

Early in the Yankee game with the score 0-0, NY had runners on first and second, nobody out and Cabrera failed to sacrifice successfully, which would have put runners in scoring position with one out and the Yankee ace on the mound. After the failed bunt a fly ball was hit to left and Swisher was inexplicably doubled off second. I thought the failure to advance the runners was as key to the outcome of the game as any other play in the game.

Also, Swisher is starting to live up to his reputation as a great guy with respectable power, but a bit of a bonehead between the foul lines. And Johnny Damon just wanted to hide after dropping a routine fly in Fenway.

But don't despair Yankee fans. Take care of the Mets this weekend and the Phillies will try to stifle the Sox.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 06/12/09 07:22 PM

I always wondered how a guy who hits 30 home runs a year gets traded as much as Swisher. Now I know lol.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 06/13/09 12:48 AM

I told people that Nady was still the guy who should be manning right field for the Yanks. He isn't a revelation, but compared to Swisher, is maybe a chapter from the book thereof.

Can't wait until he comes back from his injury. Incidentally, they used the same blood injection technique on Nady to avoid surgery that Takashi Saito used on his arm.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 06/13/09 01:07 AM

it is always great when the yanks get sweeped lol

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 06/13/09 01:42 AM

Don't worry Yankee fans. Jerry Manuel is managing the Mets. He just brought in a minor league free agent to pitch to the tying run.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 06/13/09 02:59 AM

I told you not to worry, Yankee fans. rolleyes

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 06/13/09 03:10 AM

I guess the broom can be put away huh?

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 06/13/09 03:52 AM

Are the Yankees really going to count tonight's game as a win?

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 06/14/09 10:20 PM

Well Kly it does go in the books as a win, but it was more like a Met loss.

Sunday: 15-0 Yankees. I'd call that one a win.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 07/05/09 01:35 AM

Looks like Wang's going back on the DL, this time with should problems. This will give Hughes more time to develop in the starting rotation. Now we just need someone to take over for Hughes in the bullpen (and please, no Joba remarks about moving him back to the pen). I'm thinking more along the lines of the minor leagues.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 07/05/09 01:37 AM

hey irishman is the pitching problems getting better?

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 07/05/09 02:01 AM

Burnett's been tearing it up as of late and Sabathia hasn't been too bad either. As for Wang, he's been better and his ERA's been lowering his last few starts but he's still not the same pitcher he was before his injury last year.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 07/11/09 01:16 AM

I'm surprised more people aren't screaming for Phil Hughes to be the new 8th inning, set up reliever for Mariano Rivera. In 17 relief outings, he has a 1.06 ERA eek In 17 innings of relief work he's allowed 7 hits, while striking out 18 and walking 3.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 07/30/09 12:13 PM

This is EXACTLY why Joba needs to be a starter and not a reliever. 8 innings of 3-hit ball, and not giving up a run to the Rays with 2 BB and 5 SO clap

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 08/07/09 02:42 AM

Man the Yankees stomped the Red Sox tonight grin

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 08/07/09 02:53 AM

it's not over until it's over, I12. Let's not get cocky.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 08/07/09 03:04 PM

Posada did a good job at the plate, but with the game scoreless his run to home was embarrassing. He looked like he skipped home and patted Victor Martinez on the back.

Remember 30 years ago when Piniella would try to run over Fisk, and then they'd slug it out on the field. Today's players in this rivalry are much wealthier, but much softer than their counterparts of yesterday.

I was sorry to see Smoltz (The Lion in Winter) unable to have command. It's got to be frustrating, given his efforts in trying to rebound from surgery at 42.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 08/08/09 12:33 AM

Remember 30 years ago when Piniella would try to run over Fisk, and then they'd slug it out on the field. Today's players in this rivalry are much wealthier, but much softer than their counterparts of yesterday.

I've even heard players say the rivalry is more for the fans, not so much the players anymore. What happened?

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 08/08/09 10:52 AM

The Yankees win! TTTTTTTTtthhhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeee Yankees win! grin

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 08/09/09 02:21 AM

3 in a row cool

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 08/10/09 04:01 AM

make it four. the Yankees seem invincible right now.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 08/10/09 02:32 PM

Can you spell "sweep"??

Yes I can grin

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 08/10/09 02:32 PM

Hey.... look what fell out of this thread when I opened it:

It says "Used by Boston" on it. smile

I guess the broom is in the Yankees' hands this time, SC. wink

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 08/10/09 02:38 PM

The (fair-weather) cockroaches are coming out.... it's time for:

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 08/10/09 06:47 PM

Fair-weather fans? No, I was just sick of hearing about how Boston was 8-0 this year before the Yankees just swept them. You'd be happy too if the Yankees were 8-0 vs. Boston then got swept at Fenway.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 08/10/09 07:54 PM

No doubt.... the Sox suck moosecock now. Their hitting has all but disappeared. They usually swoon in September... it came early this year. frown

I was just commenting on how you Yankee fans didn't have much to say while the Yanks weren't playing too well earlier. Right now it looks like they're a lock for the Division.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 08/11/09 12:59 AM

I was just commenting on how you Yankee fans didn't have much to say while the Yanks weren't playing too well earlier.

I think I was quietly chanting, "boston sucks", now I'm chanting, BOSTON SUCKS!

....but we love ya, SC blush

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 08/11/09 01:29 AM

One thing I never am is a fair weather fan. Like Mr. Babe says, although he'd rather watch the Yankees play than any other team. They are always an exciting team to watch.

Although I wish Mitre didn't suck as much as he does. Starting pitching has been a problem for how many years now??

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 08/11/09 12:30 PM

I was just commenting on how you Yankee fans didn't have much to say while the Yanks weren't playing too well earlier.

Well what would you have us say? I could say the same thing about you and Boston now, so what's the point?

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 08/11/09 12:46 PM

Well what would you have us say? I could say the same thing about you and Boston now, so what's the point?

The point is you're a fair weather fan. You used to post a message whenever one of the players farted... you've been in hiding all season until recently when the team started playing well.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 08/11/09 02:08 PM

[quote=Irishman12] You used to post a message whenever one of the players farted...

In all fairness since Giambi's gone, that behavior has been cut back.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 08/12/09 02:40 AM

Tonight's game just demonstrated how inconsistent Joba's pitching is. I think he has astounding potential, but he's got a way to go.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 08/12/09 03:00 PM

My son and brother in law were at last night's game. They had great seats: front row LF foul line about 20 feet from the pole. He texted me that he got a hand on a foul ball hit by Lind. I told him to bring a glove, like the old guy in right.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 08/12/09 03:34 PM

How did they like the new stadium?? I haven't been there yet, but I've heard very good feedback.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 08/12/09 11:13 PM

How did they like the new stadium?? I haven't been there yet, but I've heard very good feedback.

He liked the stadium a lot, SB. It reminded him of the old stadium, but even though a lot has been made of the homeruns flying out of there, he was still shocked by how short the fences were.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 08/13/09 12:18 AM

I can't wait to go to a game there. Sounds like your son enjoyed himself.

Btw, Yankees won again today, despite Burnett throwing not one but TWO wild pitches in the same inning.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 08/13/09 12:41 AM

Btw, Yankees won again today, despite Burnett throwing ... yadda, yadda, yadda ....

BTW my ass... fair weather fan!!

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 08/13/09 01:00 AM

Btw, Yankees won again today, despite Burnett throwing ... yadda, yadda, yadda ....

BTW my ass... fair weather fan!!

I always thought that you were a rather consistent fan of my ass.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 08/13/09 01:04 AM

OK... I can't argue that. ohwell

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 08/13/09 01:39 AM

And there's so much more of it to love since I quit smoking!! lol

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 08/14/09 04:49 PM

Although I wish Mitre didn't suck as much as he does. Starting pitching has been a problem for how many years now??

We have starters from 1-3 who can dominate on any given day, and a cagey vet in Pettitte who can still spin a gem, and you're still pissed about the 5th starter on a team with the best record in the league?

Brian Cashman is my homeboy.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 08/14/09 05:37 PM

I'm THRILLED that our boys are doing so well. I'm not thrilled with Mitre, and Joba needs some seasoning.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 08/14/09 05:43 PM

I'm THRILLED that our boys are doing so well. I'm not thrilled with Mitre, and Joba needs some seasoning.

I don't think anyone is thrilled with Mitre, that's why he's a 5th starter and was picked up for virtually nothing in the offseason. It's why the Yanks traded for Chad Gaudin last week.

It's hard to be upset when you have 4 solid starters and a decent bullpen. Considering teams like the Red Sox who BBTN and ESPN vaunted on how deep their system was now can barely patch together three starters, I think it says something when our biggest gripe is a 5th starter.

Joba is/will be fine.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 08/14/09 06:03 PM

The biggest surprise this season has been Phil Hughes. He's been a pleasure to watch!

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 08/14/09 09:35 PM

The biggest surprise this season has been Phil Hughes. He's been a pleasure to watch!

Well, that's what happens when you put someone who has great starter qualities into the bullpen: domination. See Joba Chamberlain, 2007.

Given the innings limits both Joba and Hughes have to contend with this year, I would be interested to see how they pitch Hughes the rest of the season, and if he doesn't get to start sometime in September.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 08/15/09 12:37 AM

Originally Posted By: Double-J
[quote=Sicilian Babe]Considering teams like the Red Sox who BBTN and ESPN vaunted on how deep their system was now can barely patch together three starters, I think it says something when our biggest gripe is a 5th starter.

Ah, I LOVE the return of DJ! EXACTLY! Remember during the offseason how everyone ridiculed the Yankees for getting CC and AJ (with AJ's injury history I can understand), yet Boston gets Brad Penny and 42-year-old John Smoltz to try and pitch in the AL East and they come away as geniuses? I wonder if any of those "experts" care to change their mind at this point seeing as how Smoltz lasted all of 8 starts (and he was suppose to be their "second-half savior").

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 08/15/09 12:47 AM

i hate the fact that the yankees are doing better at pitching than the cubs...after last years difficulty and the year before i thought they would have trouble once again with there pitching, but they improved.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 08/15/09 02:42 AM

i hate the fact that the yankees are doing better at pitching than the cubs...

Than the Cubs?

Why the Cubs, if I might ask?

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 08/15/09 02:47 AM

im a cub fan...lol

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 08/15/09 02:48 AM

im a cub fan...lol

Oh, well I assumed that, I just thought maybe there was some statistical/philosophical reason you were comparing the two teams. lol

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 08/15/09 02:51 AM

nope lol

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 08/15/09 05:32 AM

that rivalry is really cool and for me being an outsider is even better. the Red Sox seemed to have great pitching depth going into this season but saying that doesn't mean that the Yankees are short on pitching. you can't name a reasonable person who ridiculed the Yankees for signing CC and AJ, simply because that is not in question. they might ridicule the ammount of money spent on those signings and they could make a point about how the CC contract might not look very well in a few years but everybody knows that he is a top 5 pitcher in the game right now and everybody knows that AJ Burnett is unhittable when he's on.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 08/15/09 06:18 PM

You can't name a reasonable person who ridiculed the Yankees for signing CC and AJ, simply because that is not in question.

Reasonable is the key word.

Those who questioned either the money, the talent ("Won't translate to the AL East," "Is always injured," etc.), and the fairness, include just about every retard on the Baseball Tonight crew, Mike Francesca, and a smattering of the talking heads on the MLB network.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 08/16/09 01:58 PM

As usual DJ, you're right. And let's not forget the people at SI.com.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 08/17/09 03:17 PM

Ahhh, the hollow ring of Yankee chest pounding rolls sonorously in the August skies...soon to be replaced by the baleful October moans for more free agents next year. tongue

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 08/27/09 12:34 PM

So remember during the offseason when the Red Sox signed Brad Penny and John Smoltz and were declared "geniuses" for not overspending and how deep their rotation was. While the Yankees got CC Sabathia and AJ Burnett and were ridiculed for overspending. Yeah, well Smoltz lasted just 8 starts in a Red Sox uniform and Penny asked for and was granted his release. Here are the 4 men's stats to this point of the season and you tell me who made the better moves:

John Smoltz (Boston only stats)
8 starts, 40 innings, 59 hits, 37 ER, 9 BB, 33 SO, 2-5 record with a 8.33 ERA

Brad Penny
24 starts, 131.2 innings, 160 hits, 82 ER, 42 BB, 89 SO, 7-8 with a 5.61 ERA

CC Sabathia
27 starts, 185.1 innings, 161 hits, 74 ER, 48 BB, 148 SO, 15-7 with a 3.59 ERA

AJ Burnett
25 starts, 158.2 innings, 145 hits, 72 ER, 77 BB, 141 SO, 10-7 with a 4.08 ERA

HOORAY BOSTON!

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 08/27/09 04:59 PM

Ahhh, the hollow ring of Yankee chest pounding rolls sonorously in the August skies...soon to be replaced by the baleful October moans for more free agents next year. tongue

I think that is..... the clinking of championship rings as the Yankee faithful pound the drum into the cool October night while free agent bats crack and homegrown heroes circle the bases toward yet another WORLD SERIES victory. tongue tongue

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 08/27/09 10:52 PM

I think that is..... the clinking of championship rings as the Yankee faithful pound the drum into the cool October night while free agent bats crack and homegrown heroes circle the bases toward yet another WORLD SERIES victory. tongue tongue

lol

Blow the dust off those rings. They clink better.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 08/28/09 03:53 PM

Thanks for cursing Burnett with you Boston-hate, Irish.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 08/28/09 10:21 PM

Hey, Burnett pitched fine yesterday. He just made 1 mistake and it was a 3-run homer. But 12 stikeouts is nothing to shake your head about.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 08/28/09 10:40 PM

His last two outings, his ERA is over 6.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 08/28/09 11:50 PM

For whatever reason, he's struggled in Boston this year. He was fine yesterday, again, other than that homerun.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 09/03/09 05:00 PM

This morning I looked at the MLB standings. Wow the Yankees are far ahead of everyone in wins. Could they break a record at the pace they are going?

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 09/03/09 10:15 PM

I don't think so since there's so few games left. They'd pretty much have to win 'em all and I still think they'd fall short. But I don't care what their regular season record is, only their October record grin

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 09/04/09 12:53 AM

Just remember the Mets last year. 7 games up with was it 17 games to go?? Let's not take anything for granted. That's a sure jinx.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 09/04/09 12:21 PM

Trust me, I haven't started to celebrate yet. They still have one more series with Boston and 7 1/2 games is NOT a sure thing with a month to go.
Posted By: dontommasino

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 09/05/09 04:31 PM

This morning I looked at the MLB standings. Wow the Yankees are far ahead of everyone in wins. Could they break a record at the pace they are going?

The Yankees have 86 wins in 135 games. The record for wins in a season is 116 by Seattle so it is not possible for the Yankees to get there in the amount of games they have remaining.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 09/07/09 01:27 AM

Thanks dt. But I would guess that 100 is reachable. Sometimes money can buy you love. grin

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 09/08/09 04:44 PM

After a disappointing road trip to Toronto, yesterday's games were a pleasure to watch. It's really exciting to see Jeter chasing Gehrig's record!

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 09/08/09 05:24 PM

I couldn't believe he went hitless when everyone else was hitting like the Gas-House Gorillas uhwhat

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 09/08/09 05:32 PM

They showed his mom and dad at the game. They looked SO disappointed!

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 09/09/09 03:18 PM

They showed his mom and dad at the game. They looked SO disappointed!

Every parent should be so disappointed. smile

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 09/09/09 04:45 PM

Good point, Klyd! lol

From what I understand, his dad was quite the taskmaster, and Jeter is very happy to attribute his successes to his father's discipline.

I think it's wonderful that his father refused to let Derek play baseball if he didn't maintain a very high grade point average. Obviously, his son was an extremely gifted athlete, and that might have blinded some parents. His father, though, made his son's education the priority.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 09/10/09 11:59 AM

Congratulations, Derek Jeter! After he tied the record, he was as humble and gracious as always. He said that he was very torn by being excited about the record, and upset that they were losing.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 09/12/09 01:31 AM

Way to go, Jeter! 2722 hits to take the all-time Yankee record! cool

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 09/12/09 01:39 AM

Why do they keep saying that he broke a 72 year old record? Gehrig's last hit (that Jeter just surpassed) was made in 1939... that's 70 years - not 72.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 09/12/09 01:48 AM

I don't know who said 72 years, but you're right, 70+ years.
Posted By: DiMaggio68

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 09/12/09 02:59 AM

I agree 100% that they could go all the way. I have two baseball team favs, one is the yankees and the other is the A's. But i was really mad that oakland traded Giambi. Now he's kicking butt for the Rockies.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 09/12/09 06:07 AM

Why do they keep saying that he broke a 72 year old record? Gehrig's last hit (that Jeter just surpassed) was made in 1939... that's 70 years - not 72.

On the Yes Network, they said it was 1937 confused You got me. All I know is, Go Jeter!!! smile

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 09/15/09 10:24 PM

Big win for the Yankees last night against the Angels. They'll be tough come playoff time if they both happen to meet in the ALCS.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 09/16/09 10:21 AM

I REALLY don't understand this. Why does Joe Girardi continue to put Sergio Mitre in every 5th day while he continues to overlook Chad Gaudin?

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 09/16/09 10:45 AM

I don't know. What's going to happen in the playoffs if they can only count on two starters? Joba, Burnett and Mitre have all been unreliable. Well, Mitre always will, and Joba and Burnett are struggling. But I hate to see them struggling in September.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 09/16/09 02:14 PM

Way to go, Jeter! 2722 hits to take the all-time Yankee record! cool

It was especially nice that he did it on 9-11. I was always surprised that of all the great Yankee hitters, they've never had a member of the 3,000 hit club. Jeter will be the first.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 09/16/09 02:18 PM

I haven't been following the Yankees daily, but about two weeks ago there was talk of keeping Chamberlain in the rotation, but limiting his starts to three innings. They're not really doing this, are they?

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 09/16/09 02:24 PM

Yes, they are. Isn't it ridiculous?? Now that they have Hughes doing well as Mo's set-up man, there's no pressure to have Joba in the bullpen EXCEPT that who knows how much longer Mo can last? They're going to need a closer eventually, and I think that Joba and Hughes would be a lethal combination.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 09/16/09 11:59 PM

I don't know. What's going to happen in the playoffs if they can only count on two starters? Joba, Burnett and Mitre have all been unreliable. Well, Mitre always will, and Joba and Burnett are struggling. But I hate to see them struggling in September.

Don't worry, Mitre won't smell the playoffs (they'll go with a 3 man rotation in the Division Series and a 4 man rotation for the Championship Series and World Series). But I still don't understand why during the regular season (yes, they're still trying to wrap up their division and home field advantage) they don't give Gaudin more starts?

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 09/17/09 12:15 AM

Well, he started tonight.

Irish, just curious to know what you think about last night's brawl??

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 09/17/09 03:26 AM

there was talk of keeping Chamberlain in the rotation, but limiting his starts to three innings.

uhwhat confused confused confused

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 09/17/09 10:24 AM

Irish, just curious to know what you think about last night's brawl??

I definitely feel Jorge was in the wrong. He shouldn't have done that, that's not Yankee baseball. I'm just glad no one's hurt or going to miss important games (he's missing the Toronto and Seattle series I believe).

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 09/17/09 11:53 AM

Yes and no. The Toronto pitcher didn't hit Posada, but he definitely was looking for a confrontation. There was no reason for him to be near home plate on the FIRST base side. If he was trying to stop a run from scoring, then he would have been on the third base side. I think he was looking for Posada.

I agree that Posada should have kept his cool. The last thing they need is an injury or suspension that could screw up their chance at the playoffs! The Toronto pitcher came out looking worse, though! grin

The good news is that Cervelli is back! I really like him as a backup catcher.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 09/17/09 02:14 PM

there was talk of keeping Chamberlain in the rotation, but limiting his starts to three innings.

I find it very odd because limiting a starter to three innings every 5 days is like not having him in the rotation at all. The expanded September rosters lightens the added burden to the bullpen, but it's curious the way the Yankees have always seemed to keep a prohibitive leash on Chamberlain.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 09/17/09 02:21 PM

Yes and no. The Toronto pitcher didn't hit Posada, but he definitely was looking for a confrontation. There was no reason for him to be near home plate on the FIRST base side. If he was trying to stop a run from scoring, then he would have been on the third base side. I think he was looking for Posada.

I agree that Posada should have kept his cool. The last thing they need is an injury or suspension that could screw up their chance at the playoffs! The Toronto pitcher came out looking worse, though! grin

The good news is that Cervelli is back! I really like him as a backup catcher.

My take on it is that Posada was completely out of line and I agree with umpire Jim Joyce that it was a very cheap shot. Two Blue Jay batters were hit by pitches that would lead one to suspect that they were being buzzed. A purpose pitch had to be anticipated, and sure enough, one sailed by Posada. At that moment the issue was over. That's usually the game's way of resolving things like this.

Posada's elbow while scoring and running to his dugout merely served to inflame a situation that was seemingly put to rest.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 09/17/09 04:49 PM

This is the same pitcher that accidentally hit Pedroia on his last outing. He either has the best or the worst aim in the world. I haven't made up my mind yet.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 09/18/09 01:39 PM

Are they limiting his innings or his pitch count? He's been up to 100+ pitches in his latest starts by the third inning which just menas he's struggling anyway.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 09/19/09 01:17 AM

I read a few days ago that the Joba rules are done now. There's no more restrictions for the rest of the year/playoffs.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 09/23/09 11:01 AM

CLINCH!!!!!!!!!!

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 09/23/09 11:43 AM

BIG win for them last night. Congrats on being the first to clinch (so sick of hearing about how they missed the playoffs last year) but the job's not done. They've gotta continue to hold off Boston and Los Angeles for the division and home field advantage throughout the playoffs.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 09/24/09 10:22 AM

Another big win for the guys last night. Their first series win in Anaheim since 2004 eek

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 09/26/09 05:53 PM

Nice game last night. And so far, today ain't too shabby!!

Edit: Just realized that Joba was on the mound and I'm watching Yankee Encore on YES!!! crazy

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 09/26/09 11:30 PM

A great win last night and today. Let's keep it up for the sweep tomorrow! cool

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 09/27/09 12:52 PM

I can't believe I just read this. Pretty disgusting.

NY student, teacher in Yankees-Red Sox feud

BALDWINSVILLE, N.Y. (AP) — An upstate New York school district is investigating a fourth-grader's claim that his Red Sox-fan teacher made him hide his Yankees T-shirt from view.

Nathan Johns, a student at Van Buren Elementary School in Baldwinsville, said he wasn't sure what to think at first when his teacher told him to go to the bathroom and turn his Yankees shirt inside out. He said he complied and was later told to wear it that way until dismissal.

"I thought to myself, 'Is he serious or is he kidding?' " the boy said. "But he had this look like he wasn't kidding at all."

He said his teacher, Peter Addabbo, keeps Red Sox paraphernalia on display all over the classroom.

Baldwinsville Schools Superintendent Jeanne Dangle said Friday that the district is conducting an investigation, which will include interviewing other children who were present in the class, and has told the boy's parents she will get back to them on the issue in a few days.

"From a district perspective, we would never support something like that," Dangle said. "But we don't have all the facts yet."

A call to a number listed for a Peter Addabbo in the nearby town of Memphis was not returned Friday.

Source: North Jersey

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 09/27/09 10:19 PM

Can you spell "sweep"??

Oh yes I can. And after going 8-0 against the Yankees, the Red Sox finished the rest of the year against the Bombers at 1-9 grin

Congrats to the 2009 AL East Champion New York Yankees! cool

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 09/27/09 10:28 PM

Time to get the Raid out... the cockroaches are crawling out of the woodwork.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 09/28/09 12:40 AM

Just because I don't visit this website and don't post as much as I used to, doesn't mean I'm "coming out of the woodwork." I could say the same for you when earlier in the season Boston was 8-0 against the Yankees and all I heard about was how poorly the Yankees matched up against Boston; about how Boston was going to win the division; about how smart Boston was for getting Penny and Smoltz while the Yankees were stupid for getting CC & AJ. I haven't heard much from you either lately.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 09/28/09 01:01 AM

Just because I don't visit this website and don't post as much as I used to, doesn't mean I'm "coming out of the woodwork." I could say the same for you when earlier in the season Boston was 8-0 against the Yankees and all I heard about was how poorly the Yankees matched up against Boston; about how Boston was going to win the division; about how smart Boston was for getting Penny and Smoltz while the Yankees were stupid for getting CC & AJ. I haven't heard much from you either lately.

We've been through all this before in August.

I've lost a LOT of interest in baseball ... my Boston sweeps posts in this thread were solely to get a rise out of you (and it looks as though I was quite successful).

Show me where I said any of that other stuff (that is in the quote above).

Quick, run for cover I12, the Fair-Weather Fan Detector is coming around.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 09/28/09 01:08 AM

I'm not saying you exactly said it, but that's all I heard from the media and other people in general. So yes, I shall enjoy this victory for the next 10 days when postseason play begins.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 09/28/09 03:03 AM

Both teams played very well today. The game was a pleasure to watch, especially since I did get the outcome that I hoped for!

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 09/29/09 12:58 AM

Luckily I was flippin' channels and the Yanks were on ESPN. I got see the last two innings. Can't wait to enjoy some playoff baseball, but not looking forward to the commentary on FOX or ESPN or whoever. And all those meaningless statistics and the anti-Yankee announcers; Buck and McCarver or Miller and Morgan. Give me Sterling and Waldman;...."an A-Bomb from A-Rod and tthe Yankees win, thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Yankees....WIN!"

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 09/29/09 02:23 PM

Luckily Give me Sterling and Waldman;...."an A-Bomb from A-Rod and tthe Yankees win, thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Yankees....WIN!"

panic Those are the two most obnoxious calls in baseball.

By the way, I haven't heard David Justice announcing. I guess he's still broadcasting and out of the doghouse.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 09/29/09 10:24 PM

Luckily I was flippin' channels and the Yanks were on ESPN. I got see the last two innings. Can't wait to enjoy some playoff baseball, but not looking forward to the commentary on FOX or ESPN or whoever. And all those meaningless statistics and the anti-Yankee announcers; Buck and McCarver or Miller and Morgan. Give me Sterling and Waldman;...."an A-Bomb from A-Rod and tthe Yankees win, thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Yankees....WIN!"

I hate Buck and McCarver too (especially McCarver) but I don't understand all the hate for Miller and Morgan. I hear that quite often. Honestly, they're my favorite duo calling baseball games today. They seem to be as unbiased as anyone who doesn't work for the YES Network.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 09/30/09 12:36 AM

I hate Buck and McCarver too (especially McCarver) but I don't understand all the hate for Miller and Morgan. I hear that quite often. Honestly, they're my favorite duo calling baseball games today. They seem to be as unbiased as anyone who doesn't work for the YES Network.

I like them too. The criticism that I hear most often about Morgan is that he is pedantic and snobby. I disagree.

McCarver can grate on you, but as far as knowledge of the mechanics, nuances and application of the rules of the game, I think he is unsurpassed. When he was a player, it was widely assumed that he was going to be a manager, but he worked a couple years with Harry Kalas and Whitey Ashburn and embarked on a broadcasting career.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 10/18/09 05:39 AM

Just win, baby.
Posted By: ronnierocketAGO

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 10/18/09 07:44 AM

So I take it A-Rod has finally been accepted by the fans?

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 10/18/09 01:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Double-J
Just win, baby.

And they did just that. GREAT to see you back DJ!

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 10/18/09 03:46 PM

Originally Posted By: ronnierocketAGO
So I take it A-Rod has finally been accepted by the fans?

I take it that people who use words like "grit" to describe players and who think a reliever is more valuable than a starter finally realized that A-Rod is actually a great player?

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 11/23/09 10:49 PM

Been hearing a lot this offseason so far about Damon, Matsui and Pettitte. Personally, I think the Yankees #1 offseason goal should be to trade for Roy Halladay. The Yankees have bats, and yes they'll resign either Damon or Matsui or both. Pettitte will take some time with his decision to pitch again next year. Now is the time to strike for Halladay and ESPECIALLY to keep him away from Boston. I believe Boston's #1 goal this offseason is to get a big bat (namely resign Jason Bay). But their priority isn't pitching, it's hitting. The Yankees top priority should be pitching, not hitting.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 11/24/09 03:09 PM

Been hearing a lot this offseason so far about Damon, Matsui and Pettitte. Personally, I think the Yankees #1 offseason goal should be to trade for Roy Halladay. The Yankees have bats, and yes they'll resign either Damon or Matsui or both. Pettitte will take some time with his decision to pitch again next year. Now is the time to strike for Halladay and ESPECIALLY to keep him away from Boston. I believe Boston's #1 goal this offseason is to get a big bat (namely resign Jason Bay). But their priority isn't pitching, it's hitting. The Yankees top priority should be pitching, not hitting.

The price for Halladay is pretty steep, and veterans won't be in the conversation. When the Phillies were negotiating for him, the Jays never moved from their demand of Kyle Drabeck, Dominic Brown, J Happ and Michael Taylor. I don't think the Yankees can put together a prospect package like that.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 11/24/09 04:11 PM

But now that J.P. Riccardi is no longer the GM, the Jays have "come down" from their asking price of Joba AND Phil Hughes. Now, it'd take one or the other with some other top prospects. Now, the Yankees aren't paying a "premium" because he's being traded within the AL East.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 11/25/09 03:17 PM

But now that J.P. Riccardi is no longer the GM, the Jays have "come down" from their asking price of Joba AND Phil Hughes. Now, it'd take one or the other with some other top prospects. Now, the Yankees aren't paying a "premium" because he's being traded within the AL East.

But don't you think the stock on Joba has dropped after his disappointing finish and exile to situational relief in the postseason? And Hughes, while performing well in relief during the season, wilted under the pressure of October. But, who knows? I guess the Jays will make their best deal, but all things being equal, they're probably reluctant to let him land in the same division if there is considerable interest from outside the division.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 11/25/09 03:37 PM

I guess the Jays will make their best deal, but all things being equal, they're probably reluctant to let him land in the same division if there is considerable interest from outside the division.

True, but how many teams other than the Red Sox and Yankees have the prospects AND money to sign Halladay to at least a $100 million contract extension?

Very true what you said about Joba and Hughes but I'd like to see Joba go for a full season in the rotation without any strings attached and I'd like to see Hughes go a full season in the rotation as well. Who knows, they'd have more time to develop in Toronto than under the microscope of New York. They could develop nicely into anchors of a pitching staff in a less "chaotic" area than New York.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 11/27/09 03:57 AM

honestly, I would let Damon go. The fans won't be as forgiving if New York lets Matusi go. Even if he's 39, he's still the World Series MVP.

As for Pettite, well he's old too. But shit hopefully the Steinbrenners learned a painful lesson from letting him go the last time. Can I get a Amen here?

As for Halladay, wouldn't be shocked if the Dodgers are who gets him. Boston at this rate is more interested in dicking around the New York paranoia than willing to pay king's ransom for him.

Or are they?

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 11/28/09 05:51 PM

Report: Longtime Yankees voice Sheppard retiring

I didn't think he'd be back, at age 99, but he'll still be missed frown

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 11/28/09 06:12 PM

Report: Longtime Yankees voice Sheppard retiring

I didn't think he'd be back, at age 99, but he'll still be missed frown

man 99 years...started in 51' with mantles first year, and dimaggio's last.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 11/28/09 11:09 PM

New York Yankees 2009 World Series Championship gear!

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 12/01/09 12:18 AM

SI names Derek Jeter 2009 Sportsman of the Year

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 12/01/09 12:25 AM

What happened to my post after Irishman's picture? His response is gone too. Why was it removed?

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 12/01/09 11:23 AM

???
Posted By: Fame

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 12/04/09 01:01 PM

What happened to my post after Irishman's picture? His response is gone too. Why was it removed?

That's a different thread blib. Check the World Series thread. You got confused cuz Irish made the same post here and there.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 12/04/09 01:24 PM

lol lol

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 12/04/09 01:30 PM

I bought my husband a Yankees T Shirt yesterday. It's the headline and photo from the NY Daily News ("27th Heaven") the day after the win. They were actually selling it in the supermarket for $2.49. I figured I could always use it as a stocking stuffer.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 12/04/09 01:33 PM

I figured I could always use it as a stocking stuffer.

I thought Santa stuffed our stockings??

Wow, that doesn't sound good. lol

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 12/04/09 02:59 PM

Santa only stuffs the childrens' stockings. We have to stuff our own (and that doesn't sound good, either).

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 12/04/09 09:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Fame

That's a different thread blib. Check the World Series thread. You got confused cuz Irish made the same post here and there.

Got it, thanks Fame!

Irish, you're confusing me posting the same thing in different threads!

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 12/04/09 09:40 PM

Irish, you're confusing me posting the same thing in different threads!

Uh oh.... the secret of the high post count is out.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 12/06/09 12:25 AM

That and post whoring goes a whole long way.

I should know. wink

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 12/09/09 02:36 AM

So, today the Yankees traded Austin Jackson, Phil Coke and Ian Kennedy in a 3-team deal with Detroit and Arizona to land Curtis Granderson. As much as I like Granderson, I think they should have held onto Jackson. If to not only include him in a potential Halladay trade, I would have liked to see the kid play in 2010 or 2011 because I've heard nothing but positive things about him. I just don't understand it. Again, Granderson's a very good player but do we really need him? Our outfield wasn't horrible but if I'm the Yankees, I'm looking for rotation help, not centerfielders.

Plus, add in the fact that now the Yankees are short 2 less guys in the bullpen (Phil Coke and Brian Bruney who was traded to Washington on Monday). I think it may be safe to assume that Joba or Hughes will begin 2010 in the bullpen unless they have other guys lined up for the job.
Posted By: Lilo

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 12/09/09 09:40 AM

Why the Tigers traded Granderson.
Granderson too nice, not productive

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 12/09/09 09:53 PM

screw the yankees...the cubs should had pulled the trigger

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 12/10/09 12:15 AM

Please, they should worry about trying to trade Milton Bradley before adding another outfielder.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 12/10/09 02:05 AM

rumor is the yankees are now interested matt holliday...i thought they would have a quiet off season...at least they said that.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 12/10/09 01:10 PM

Yeah, I've heard they're interested in Jason Bay and John Lackey too. It's the Yankees. Their name is going to be thrown into the mix whether it's true or not.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 12/10/09 01:50 PM

FINALLY, a Red Sox article that I agree with grin

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 12/15/09 01:21 AM

SI.com

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 12/15/09 11:48 AM

Bye, Godzilla! It was fun while it lasted. I hope you enjoy the West Coast. You'll be missed.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 12/15/09 09:46 PM

I figured he'd be gone (little sad to see him go). I wonder what they'll do with Damon? Personally, I'd like for them to sign him but not for more than 2 years. If not, see if they can't grab Bay although they don't need him.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 12/15/09 10:15 PM

I figured he'd be gone (little sad to see him go). I wonder what they'll do with Damon? Personally, I'd like for them to sign him but not for more than 2 years. If not, see if they can't grab Bay although they don't need him.

whats with the yankees grabbing for ex red sox player's?

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 12/16/09 02:04 AM

If they can still play and contribute, why pass on them? I think the better question is why is Boston passing on these guys who've helped them be successful?

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 12/16/09 02:45 AM

If they can still play and contribute, why pass on them? I think the better question is why is Boston passing on these guys who've helped them be successful?

its not like it hurts them bad...its not like the red sox sold the god of baseball or anything

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 12/16/09 12:41 PM

Doesn't hurt them that bad? Boston has almost no pop in their lineup. Sure, they've got pitching and a bullpen but their lineup is not half of what it was 2 years ago.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 12/16/09 03:11 PM

I think Boston has been pretty good at assessing talent objectively. They were able to separate themselves from Pedra and Nomar at the right time, and did well to jettison Manny when they did.

They may acquire Adrian Gonzalez, which will allow Youkilis to go to third. If this happens, they can be a very scary team. Of course, where Bay and Matt Holliday end up are the next big moves of the offseason. The Mets desperately need one (I'd guess Bay), and I'll predict that Holliday ends up in San Francisco.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 12/16/09 04:59 PM

Holliday would have to take way less than he is asking to come to San Francisco. The Giants have said they aren't interested in Bay or Holliday and are only looking at the second tier guys and trades. ohwell

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 12/19/09 07:36 PM

Doesn't hurt them that bad? Boston has almost no pop in their lineup. Sure, they've got pitching and a bullpen but their lineup is not half of what it was 2 years ago.

Yet they'll probably still make the playoffs. Again.

Still surprised that Matsui walked. I mean you would think the fans would pressure New York to keep the reigning World Series MVP. Nevermind that Godzilla has been the reliable Paul O'Neil-type outfielder.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 12/19/09 10:07 PM

Holliday would have to take way less than he is asking to come to San Francisco. The Giants have said they aren't interested in Bay or Holliday and are only looking at the second tier guys and trades. ohwell

idk who the cubs are interested in anymore since they said the would like to get holliday, rick ankiel, byrd, and i won't be surprised if they try to get damon since he must likely walk.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 12/19/09 10:51 PM

I didn't even know Marlon Byrd was still in baseball.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 12/20/09 07:28 AM

How about landing Curtis Granderson? one SI.com guy loved it so much he came up with that:

"Any criticism of him - Granderson - is nonsense; the decline in his topline statistics over the last few years is wholly the result of his being asked to face a lot more left-handers, whom he seems to be unable to hit. Since 2006 his OPS against right-handers has gone from .805 to 1.014 to .900 to .897, perfectly normal variation around a stable talent level. With his gifts on the bases and in the field, he's basically a healthier version of Carlos Beltran. That's a hell of a player to have locked up for four years for just a few million more in total than Beltran will be making this year alone."

How can a guy say something like that and just get away with it? I even drafted Granderson with my 2nd pick in the draft after his 20-20-20-20 season so I do like him, but he's nowhere near Beltran's league.

Beltran is an established elite CF and has been one for almost a whole decade. he topped at 150 OPS+, .982 OPS, 41 HR and 42 SB and dipped at 96/.774/16/17, all the lows in his first season as a Met. the rest of the time, in a 10 year span, he's been way above average for a CF while toying with 40/40 skills; now, Granderson has played 4 full seasons, is absolutely helpless against LHP and topped at 135/.913/30/26, having had one amazing career season and declining ever since. I don't care it's because he's facing more LHP. his best HR total was also in 2009, so you can have it both ways -- the bad comes with the good. he hasn't cut down his strikeouts or significantly improved his walk rate and his impressive skill to hit triples seems to be lost as he went from 23 to 8 even playing more.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 12/21/09 05:00 PM

I agree, Tony. I like Granderson, but he's a few rungs down the ladder from Beltran.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 12/23/09 04:19 AM

I'm so confused. The Yankees traded Javier Vazquez a few years ago, and now we traded Melky Cabrera to get Vazquez BACK???? And we originally traded Nick Johnson a few years ago as part of the original trade to get Vazquez, and now they're BOTH coming back?????

And the Melk-man is GONE??? WTF?

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 12/23/09 05:16 AM

I may be wrong but isn't Melky a center fielder as well as Granderson? Even with the critics of Granderson, I would take him over Cabrera any day. Not too many guys can hit 20-30 homeruns from the leadoff spot. And as far as Nick Johnson, I kind of agree. I don't know why they didn't just resign Matsui at DH.

But seriously, with the lineup you have for the Yankees how can you complain about anything they do at this point?

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 12/23/09 12:58 PM

I'm so confused. The Yankees traded Javier Vazquez a few years ago, and now we traded Melky Cabrera to get Vazquez BACK???? And we originally traded Nick Johnson a few years ago as part of the original trade to get Vazquez, and now they're BOTH coming back?????

And the Melk-man is GONE??? WTF?

They needed more pitching and unfortunately, Melky was expendable when they traded for Granderson because they had 4 outfielders. I scratched my head at first when I heard they traded for Vazquez but they could have done worse with a #4 starter. Joba will probably be #5 which means Hughes may stay in the bullpen as the setup man again this season.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 12/23/09 03:55 PM

Since Matsui's gone, I thought that Granderson would take Damon's spot, Damon would become the DH, and the outfield would consist of Swisher, Granderson and Cabrera. Is Nady coming back??

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 12/23/09 06:11 PM

wow the rich just keep getting richer. Vazquez was dominant last season and since he's expected to be a #4 starter, this is another absurd.

Damon will go where the money is and it doesn't seem to be the suddenly budget-conscious Yankees. they can do a lot good with Jeter, Johnson, Teixeira, A-Rod or push Granderson to the top of the order if he's having a great year.

and Melky will be a star with the Braves, as any homegrown Yankee player leaving to play in the NL is expected to be.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 12/24/09 03:17 AM

Since Matsui's gone, I thought that Granderson would take Damon's spot, Damon would become the DH, and the outfield would consist of Swisher, Granderson and Cabrera. Is Nady coming back??

Probably not. The outfield as of now is Gardener, Granderson, and Swisher. But they could always add to that (moving Gardener as a bench player). Rumor has it they could make a run at Mark DeRossa who can play left field.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 12/24/09 03:19 AM

Vazquez was dominant last season

But that was the NL. Let's see how he fairs against AL teams and lineups.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 12/24/09 02:12 PM

Okay, add a full run to his ERA and subtract 100 K's and he still is a #2 starter for most teams.

the thing with Vazquez is that you really don't know if he'll show up Doctor or Monster, and he has a tendency to pitch below his peripherals and so be a frustrating pitcher, but if he just keep last season's form and his numbers naturally get a bit worse, he's still a steal! especially since the Yanks can just replace the good Melky with the great Granderson and look like they're saving money.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 12/27/09 02:29 AM

I used to watch Vasquez a lot in AA when he pitched for Harrisburg back in '97, and I always liked him. He had a good year last year, especially early on, but I wouldn't call him dominant. His last stint in NY was bad, but I think the Yankees grabbed him as an innings eater, whose value is designed more for July and August than October.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 12/27/09 02:34 PM

I used to watch Vasquez a lot in AA when he pitched for Harrisburg back in '97, and I always liked him. He had a good year last year, especially early on, but I wouldn't call him dominant. His last stint in NY was bad, but I think the Yankees grabbed him as an innings eater, whose value is designed more for July and August than October.

NY sports radio was reporting on his stats in the majors. For durability, double-digit victorys, inning pitched, etc. he is ranked very high, or higher than you might suspect. His year with the Yanks started out good and he had a bad second half. His year ended with a trade to Arizona for THE UNIT. They should have kept Vasquez. rolleyes

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 12/28/09 01:32 PM

NY sports radio was reporting on his stats in the majors. For durability, double-digit victorys, inning pitched, etc. he is ranked very high, or higher than you might suspect. His year with the Yanks started out good and he had a bad second half. His year ended with a trade to Arizona for THE UNIT. They should have kept Vasquez. rolleyes

He's a good guy to have on your roster, and it was agood trade.

Re: How bout them Yankees!? (2009) - 01/07/10 03:40 AM

How bout them Yankees!? (2010)
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET