Home

2006 College Football Thread

Posted By: Irishman12

2006 College Football Thread - 09/03/06 02:42 AM

So UT beat the lowly North Texas Mean Green. Ohhhhhhhhhhhh. What a cupcake schedule they have this year (as they have EVERY year)

-September 2 North Texas
-September 9 No. 1 Ohio State
-September 16 at Rice
-September 23 Iowa State
-September 30 Sam Houston State
-October 7 at No. 10 Oklahoma
-October 14 Baylor
-October 21 at No. 20 Nebraska
-October 28 at No. 25 Texas Tech
-November 4 Oklahoma State
-November 11 at Kansas State
-November 24 Texas A&M

They have 3 tough games against Ohio State, Oklahoma and Nebraska. Look at the schedule Notre Dame has:

-September 2 at Georgia Tech
-September 9 No. 19 Penn State
-September 16 No. 14 Michigan
-September 23 at Michigan State
-September 30 Purdue
-October 7 Stanford
-October 21 UCLA
-October 28 at Navy
-November 4 North Carolina
-November 11 at Air Force
-November 18 Army
-November 25 at No. 6 USC

Right now Notre Dame is beating Georgia Tech 14-10 with 2:30 left in the 3rd quarter

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 09/03/06 03:32 AM

Notre Dame beat Georgia Tech 14-10
Posted By: Don Corpuzzi

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 09/03/06 07:22 PM

UCLA beat Utah 31-10.
Posted By: Don Andrew

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 09/04/06 02:07 AM

...and of course the College Football season truly kicks off tomorrow night at 8.
Posted By: Jimmy Buffer

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 09/04/06 05:13 AM

Let me guess, you're a Florida St. fan?
Posted By: MaryCas

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 09/04/06 11:54 AM

Whoa Irish. Is there a bigger cupcake than Army on the ND schedule?

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 09/04/06 04:56 PM

I know what you mean MaryCas. North Texas, Rice, Sam Houston State and Baylor are just national championship contenders for UT too
Posted By: Ice

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 09/04/06 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MaryCas:
Whoa Irish. Is there a bigger cupcake than Army on the ND schedule?
ND has played one of the two service academies every yr. since the inception of college football.

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 09/05/06 04:23 AM

Texas CB hit with drug, weapons charges

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) - Texas cornerback Tarell Brown was arrested on misdemeanor drug and weapon charges early Monday, leaving his status in question for the No. 3 Longhorns' game with top-ranked Ohio State.

Brown, a senior starter, was arrested with Tyrell Gatewood, a backup junior linebacker and special teams player, and former Texas linebacker Aaron Harris.
Brown was charged with unlawfully carrying a weapon, a loaded 9 mm handgun, and possession of less than 2 ounces of marijuana. Gatewood and Harris were charged with the same drug misdemeanor.

The gun charge carries a maximum penalty of one year in jail and a $4,000 fine. The drug charge carries a maximum of 180 days in a jail and a $2,000 fine.

Brown and Gatewood were released on personal recognizance bond and Harris remained in the Travis County jail Monday afternoon.

Coach Mack Brown said he met with both players and was "holding them out of all team functions as we gather as much information as possible before making a team decision."

Texas (1-0) and Ohio State (1-0) play in Austin on Saturday night.

Source: FoxSports
Posted By: Don Alessandrio

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 09/05/06 03:00 PM

If this guy plays this week against Ohio State, it will prove how much of a joke the program is at Texas.

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 09/05/06 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Alessandrio:
If this guy plays this week against Ohio State, it will prove how much of a joke the program is at Texas.
You don't happen to be an Ohio State fan, do you?

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 09/06/06 02:18 AM

A fan and an Alum

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 09/06/06 02:19 AM

Oh and the Texas player is not playing

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 09/06/06 02:52 AM

Quote:
Ya, since we know that never happens at Ohio State. :rolleyes:

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 09/06/06 03:21 AM

Quote:
they(we) are defending champs. a joke?

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 09/06/06 03:38 AM

i think we got rid of romance taylor quick enough to prove that this program is not afraid to cut the weeds. (he is the guy that scored 2 td against usc.)

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 09/06/06 06:01 AM

So Notre Dame beats Georgia Tech and moves down to #4 while Texas beats North Texas and gets bumped up to #2!? WTF!?
Posted By: J Geoff

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 09/06/06 06:15 AM

I12 apparently knows everything... but is he even in the NCAA fantasy game?? I don't know, cuz people used obscure names... :rolleyes:

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 09/06/06 06:22 AM

No I'm not playing the fantasy game and I never said I know everything. Hmm, I never figured you were one for putting words into people's mouths Geoff

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 09/06/06 06:34 AM

Ehh, I don't know... I don't know much about college football, but I have the balls enough to compete. And do rather well, actually. But not you? You don't like competition? Or college football? Or, what... you're scared? :p

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 09/06/06 08:16 AM

No, I just don't have "the time" to play. Plus, I'm not HUGE into college football (or any football for that matter). I just know that I love Notre Dame and hate UT

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 09/06/06 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy Buffer:
[quote]Originally posted by Don Alessandrio:
[b] If this guy plays this week against Ohio State, it will prove how much of a joke the program is at Texas.
Ya, since we know that never happens at Ohio State. :rolleyes:

[/b][/quote]He was not a part of the team when he ruined his life. I just made my statement to poke at other schools because people say stuff like that about OSU all the time. In reality any college who recruits the top high school athletes are going to run into problems like this because these kids don't give a shit about learning but just hope to one day play profeesionally.
Posted By: Freddie C.

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 09/07/06 04:38 PM

This is a shirt GT fans made for the game last Saturday.

Posted By: goombah

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 09/07/06 04:54 PM

Last time I checked, Clarret has not been with OSU since 2003. How are his ridiculous antics of the past 3 years the fault of Ohio State? Should the Univeristy of Miami be lambasted for the actions of Sean Taylor even though he's in the NFL now?

Marcus Vick is another arrest of being every bit the f-up that Clarret has been. And the two morons from the U Texas team just got in trouble. Criticizing one college team for their players misconduct is ridiculous considering it happens all over the NCAA.

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 09/07/06 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by goombah:
Last time I checked, Clarret has not been with OSU since 2003. How are his ridiculous antics of the past 3 years the fault of Ohio State?
Right on. Like Ricky Williams is a model football player, eh?

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 09/07/06 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Freddie C.:
This is a shirt GT fans made for the game last Saturday.

Classic. I want one.

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 09/08/06 05:45 PM

Quote:
Last time I checked, Clarret has not been with OSU since 2003. How are his ridiculous antics of the past 3 years the fault of Ohio State? Should the Univeristy of Miami be lambasted for the actions of Sean Taylor even though he's in the NFL now?

Marcus Vick is another arrest of being every bit the f-up that Clarret has been. And the two morons from the U Texas team just got in trouble. Criticizing one college team for their players misconduct is ridiculous considering it happens all over the NCAA.
he only played one season at ohio st. why do u think that is?????????????

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 09/08/06 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Irishman12:
[quote]Originally posted by goombah:
[b] Last time I checked, Clarret has not been with OSU since 2003. How are his ridiculous antics of the past 3 years the fault of Ohio State?
Right on. Like Ricky Williams is a model football player, eh? [/b][/quote]Ricky stayed 4 yrs at texas and never got in trouble.

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 09/08/06 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ice:
[quote]Originally posted by Irishman12:
[b] [quote]Originally posted by goombah:
[b] Last time I checked, Clarret has not been with OSU since 2003. How are his ridiculous antics of the past 3 years the fault of Ohio State?
Right on. Like Ricky Williams is a model football player, eh? [/b][/quote]Ricky stayed 4 yrs at texas and never got in trouble. [/b][/quote]And Clarret was only at OSU for 1 year (AND helped them win a national title)

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 09/08/06 06:20 PM

Quote:
he only played one season at ohio st. why do u think that is?????????????
I am not defending Clarret at all. I'm quite happy that they didn't have him back on the team after his freshman year, despite what he accomplished on the field. I just don't think it's right for him to always be linked as the "ex-Buckeye" when he is 3 years removed from the school. He was drafted in NFL last year - why isn't he referred to as "ex-Denver Bronco Maurice Clarret?" In a few more months, he'll just be known by his prison number.

And I don't see the correlation with Ricky Williams & Clarett. Ricky kept his nose clean in college (no pun intended). He's had his run-ins with the law and drugs during his time in the NFL.

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 09/08/06 08:01 PM

Both OSU and Texas have always been known for running clean programs....think about all those great ohio state players....dan wilkinson, korey stringer, joey galloway, terry glenn, andy katzenmoyer and the list goes on and on and on. since 1990 ohio st. has easily recruited the most blue chippers. despite all of this amazing talent that has been through columbus the program is still a model.

and UT, despite sitting on the largest hotbead of football talent in the world has never once been convicted of violation in 100 plus yrs. of football.

HOOK EM HORNS!!!

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 09/09/06 11:17 PM

Notre Dame beats #19 Penn State 41-17

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 09/10/06 03:25 AM

Nice a$$ kicking handed out today by Ohio State to Texas, 24-7

HOOK EM BUCKEYES!

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 09/10/06 12:19 PM

A great win for Ohio State last night, although it was a rather boring game IMO. Texas gained the momentum with their tying of the game at 7-7 near halftime, but promptly gave the momentum right back by letting OSU march for a TD in the last 2:00 of the half. And quite frankly, the fact that Texas scored a TD was controversial with that utter b.s. "helmet-to-helmet" call that was made on a 3rd down play. If the correct call was made, Texas would have been lining up for a FG. Whatever, it didn't have bearing in the larger text of the game.

I thought Texas' mistake was not continuing to run the ball. They seemed to have 4-5 yards on average every time they rushed. Their passing game and their QB were pathetic.

I read in the paper that OSU will now play USC for the next two years beginning in 2007 just as they played Texas the past two years.

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 09/10/06 02:27 PM

My alma mater never really had a chance last night. I could have told you that before hand though.

WE NEED A PLAYOFF! LSU, ND, OhioST, will all remain undefeated this season. LSU will prolly get screwed again even though they have one of the best defensive units ever.

hook em hos

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 09/10/06 04:53 PM

Quote:
LSU, ND, OhioST, will all remain undefeated this season.
I disagree in that I don't think any team will finish undefeated this year. I think the NCAA is up for grabs more than the past few seasons. But if OSU does go undefeated, I won't be doing any complaining.

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 09/10/06 05:59 PM

Yeah, as much as I love Notre Dame, I think there schedule is too tough for them to go undefeated. I'm not saying it can't happen, but I think it's FAR to early in the season to be thinking about that.

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 09/11/06 06:05 AM

Notre Dame moves back up to #2 (where they belong) and Texas slides down to #8

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 09/12/06 01:35 AM

How do they belong at #2?

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 09/12/06 02:59 AM

i would go...

nd 1
osu 2
sec school 3
?4
?5

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 09/12/06 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Andrew:
How do they belong at #2?
Because they beat Georgia Tech in week 1 and get slid down to #4 while Texas beats North Texas and moves up to #2. WTF is that!?

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 09/12/06 08:21 PM

Quote:
i would go...

nd 1
osu 2
sec school 3
?4
?5
Not understanding your logic here at all. Ohio State is #1 going into a game against the defending national champions. Ohio State kicks the snot out of Texas in a game that was essentially over early in the 3rd quarter. Ohio State also throttles Notre Dame in the Fiesta Bowl last year and, somehow, this should warrant a slippage in their ranking???

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 09/12/06 08:55 PM

My top 5 woudl look like this:

OSU
Auburn
ND
USC
LSU

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 09/13/06 01:24 AM

Quote:
[/qb]
Not understanding your logic here at all.

I just think ND and Charlie Weis are unstoppable this yr.

Look, OSU had their chance last yr but tressel out thought himself in the texas game by not playing troy smith the whole way. They could and should have been champs last season w/ that amazing D and all those linebackers.

FORGET THE STUPID POLLS, WATCH THE GAMES AND PICK THE BEST SQUAD.

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 09/13/06 01:27 AM

Why are you talking about last year? Did you not see Ohio St. schlack Texas 24-7?

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 09/13/06 01:30 AM

GOOMBAH mentioned last yrs fiesta bowl, apparently he thinks it still has bearing.

BOTTOM LINE: We need a playoff!!!!!!!

thats it

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 09/13/06 12:54 PM

the whole season is a playoff in college football. Look at the games that have already been played. OSU-Texas, FSU- Miami, and look at this week, USC-Nebraska, LSU-Auburn, Miami- Louisville, ND-Michigan. These games have bearing on who will play for the national championship. If you want playoffs watch NFL where you can lose 6 games and still make the playoffs. In college footabll every week matters not 65% of the games like the NFL.

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 09/13/06 01:28 PM

Quote:

I just think ND and Charlie Weis are unstoppable this yr.

FORGET THE STUPID POLLS, WATCH THE GAMES AND PICK THE BEST SQUAD.
Using your argument is exactly why ND's 4 point win over Georgia Tech hardly qualifies them for the #1 position. Your vote is with your heart, not your head. We'll see whether your contention that ND is "unstoppable" with games against Michigan and USC.

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 09/13/06 09:02 PM

OK.....

i feel like ol' good Will Hunting trying to explain shit in here:

the regular season is not a playoff. yes, this yrs games have been UNBELIEVABLE. most seasons however, we do not see this many good games the entire season. YES WE NEED A PLAYOFF. 4 teams, 6 teams, something. otherwise, how do we know who's the best team? an undefeated ND, OSU, LSU, and West Virginia for example, would create quite the controversy.

I recommend you guys study the history of the game a bit more. In the past a team with 2 losses would edge out an undefeated team for the title b/c thats what the voters said(ask joe paterno circa 1972) PLAYOFF!!

Goombah--do you really think it would be fair for ND to be shut out of a national title shot b/c they lose to michigan? Is it fair that a team who plays a big east schedule(west virginia) would edge out ND b/c they play a bunch of nobodys? of course not, dont be ridiculous.

PLAYOFF!!!

i gotta go

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 09/14/06 12:31 AM

I agree that west virgina and louisville are not legitament contenders. I believe a team with 1 loss would make it over them if they were undefeated. Forget about 1972, it was differnt back then. There were less voters and rankings were more political. Much like how MLB still is. If I had one grip about college football it is that no rankings (that matter, coaches and AP) should come out before the 5 week. There are 5 teams at the begining of every year that could be #1.

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 09/14/06 12:32 AM

And how many years have there been more than 2 undefeated teams, from major conferences?

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 09/14/06 01:09 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Don Alessandrio:
[QB] I agree that West Virginia and Louisville are not legitament contenders.

I think west virg. is a legitament contender. they beat the crap outta georgia last yr. and rick rodriguez is the godfather of the spread offense that almost everyone runs now a days. But w/o a playoff how can they prove it?

I hope this is the yr that the bcs breaks down and a couple of undefeateds are sitting at home championship night. Only then can we steam roll this playoff thing through.

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 09/14/06 01:35 AM

as you stated before last year has no bearing, right? and besides they did beat georgia last year but they did not kick there ass by any means. Yes west virginia can't truely prove if they are deserving of a chance to play in the national championship game, but they need to do what big time schools are doing and schedule hard out of conference games. a la Ohio State having home and home series coming up in the next 10 years with USC, Miami (Florida), Virginia Tech. This is a trend that I like to see in college football. I don't want to see a playoff becuase then college football would be just like every other sport. College football is about more than just who is the champ.

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 09/14/06 02:31 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by goombah:
Using your argument is exactly why ND's 4 point win over Georgia Tech hardly qualifies them for the #1 position. Your vote is with your heart, not your head.

GOOMBAH

football is a very arbitrary game of course. stomach virus here, pulled nut sack here, your team is fucked. anyone can suffer a career ending injury at any time. not even the almighty knows whos gonna win every game.... i just think nd would beat a hawkless buckeyes.

im not a domer at all but i think u are having homer simpson syndrome right now with your team (osu), being they are this yr's favorite.

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 09/14/06 02:40 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Don Alessandrio:
[QB] as you stated before last year has no bearing, right? and besides they did beat georgia last year but they did not kick there ass by any means.

your right, they didn't really kick their ass. that was such a fun game to watch though.

but they do have 19 returning starters, so....in this case last yr certainly has bearing

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 09/14/06 04:03 AM

I agree with Ice, I'd like to see a playoff format in college football. It's too controversal and bogus right now having the Bull Crap System in place

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 09/14/06 04:21 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Irishman12:
[QB] It's too controversal and bogus right now

well at the least we have a title game, and thats a start. teams used to win titles despite losing their bowl games!!

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 09/14/06 12:50 PM

Quote:
[b]Using your argument is exactly why ND's 4 point win over Georgia Tech hardly qualifies them for the #1 position. Your vote is with your heart, not your head.

GOOMBAH

football is a very arbitrary game of course. stomach virus here, pulled nut sack here, your team is fucked. anyone can suffer a career ending injury at any time. not even the almighty knows whos gonna win every game.... i just think nd would beat a hawkless buckeyes.

im not a domer at all but i think u are having homer simpson syndrome right now with your team (osu), being they are this yr's favorite. [/b]
I have no idea what the hell you mean by Homer Simpson syndrome. I never felt that that Buckeyes should have been #1 going into the season. I'm of the opinion that the #1 team to lead off the season should be the defending champ. Going one step further, what is the point of having rankings/polls if the bowl participants are based on the BCS rankings? Why not have all teams unranked until the BCS starts its numbers in October?

That said, since Ohio State was ranked first at the season's beginning, they have done nothing in the first two weeks to warrant dropping from there. I'll be the first to admit that I don't think they will go undefeated as I already stated in this thread earlier.

As far as ND beating OSU just because, as you stated, AJ Hawk is gone...well, you're entitled to that opinion. Hawk was an animal last year, but OSU kicked the hell out ND on both sides of the ball. No question that the defense centered around him. But IMO Quinn does not bring the same athleticism and intanglibles that Troy Smith possesses.

No, I don't think it would be fair if ND was out of the championship game if their only loss was to Michigan. What IS unfair is that if 2 teams have one loss, the factor having the most bearing on their bowl bid seems to be WHEN the game was lost. I think it's a load of crap when a team loses in September and is ok for the BCS title game but another team goes undefeated until its LAST game and is knocked out.

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 09/14/06 02:18 PM

Quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ice:
[qb] [QUOTE]Originally posted by goombah:
[b]Using your argument is exactly why ND's 4 point win over Georgia Tech hardly qualifies them for the #1 position. Your vote is with your heart, not your head.

GOOMBAH

im not a domer at all but i think u are having homer simpson syndrome right now with your team (osu), being they are this yr's favorite. [/b]
I have no idea what the hell you mean by Homer Simpson syndrome. I never felt that that Buckeyes shold have been #1 going into the season. I'm of the opinion that the #1 team to lead off the season should be the defending champ.

well, you're a homer, we have lots of them in austin.

no the #1 team to lead off the season should not invariably be the defending champs. what if they lose every single starter, its a different team.

WHY DONT U GIVE US YOUR TOP FIVE GOOMBAH?

1osu
2miami oh
3akron ohio
4bowling green ohio
5ohio bobcats

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 09/14/06 02:50 PM

Quote:
[quote]Originally posted by Ice:
[b] i would go...

nd 1
osu 2
sec school 3
?4
?5
Not understanding your logic here at all. Ohio State is #1 going into a game against the defending national champions. Ohio State kicks the snot out of Texas in a game that was essentially over early in the 3rd quarter. Ohio State also throttles Notre Dame in the Fiesta Bowl last year and, somehow, this should warrant a slippage in their ranking??? [/b][/quote]the rankings really mean nothing. if u take a lot of stock in the Texas win then your team is looking quite well right now. HOWEVER....

if ND goes undefeated, and the SEC champ is undefeated, UR FUCKED. if ND is not undefeated then guess who probably is? UHM...USC? they finished pretty well too last yr buckeye fans.

(we will have to discuss your definition of logic at a later time)

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 09/14/06 04:38 PM

Quote:

WHY DONT U GIVE US YOUR TOP FIVE GOOMBAH?

1osu
2miami oh
3akron ohio
4bowling green ohio
5ohio bobcats
Why debate anything with you? I gave reasons for how I felt. You repeated exactly what I just said: the rankings do not mean anything until the BCS standing come out. This may come as a shock to you, but this is an opinion board. Obviously, you have no grasp of how to carry on an intelligent conversation.

As far as your scenario that a defending champ could lose every player the following year, what planet has that ever occurred?

I've already wasted too much time on you since you don't grasp what was actually written.l

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 09/14/06 05:32 PM

Quote:
well, you're a homer, we have lots of them in austin.
Ain't that the truth. But don't just limit it to Austin, I'd say the entire state of Texas

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 09/14/06 05:38 PM

somehow, this should warrant a slippage in their ranking???

now where would i get the idea that you were putting too much thought in the current rankings???

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 09/14/06 05:41 PM

Quote:
[b] well, you're a homer, we have lots of them in austin.
Ain't that the truth. But don't just limit it to Austin, I'd say the entire state of Texas [/b][/quote]DOH!

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 09/15/06 12:12 AM

Quote:
Ain't that the truth. But don't just limit it to Austin, I'd say the entire state of Texas [/b][/quote]Pretty much anywhere.

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 09/15/06 10:25 PM

Quote:
Ain't that the truth. But don't just limit it to Austin, I'd say the entire state of Texas [/b][/quote]i really did not think it was possible for a new york sports fan to accuse ANYONE of being a homer. u guys did write the bible on homerism, no??

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 09/15/06 11:39 PM

Quote:
[quote]Originally posted by Irishman12:
[b] [quote]Originally posted by Ice:
Ain't that the truth. But don't just limit it to Austin, I'd say the entire state of Texas [/b][/quote]i really did not think it was possible for a new york sports fan to accuse ANYONE of being a homer. u guys did write the bible on homerism, no?? [/b][/quote]No we didn't
Posted By: ap_capone48101

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 09/17/06 12:10 AM

Hail To The Victors!!!! Boy did Michigan just kill ND today. Wasnt even close. Feels good to beat the over-rated ND and an over-rated Quinn.

Also, the Oregon v Oklahoma end to the game was crazy.

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 09/17/06 12:13 AM

Yeah Notre Dame got their a$$es handed to them today. Overrated, I still don't think so. Now Ice do you know why I said it was premature to say Notre Dame would have an undefeated season?

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 09/17/06 12:28 AM

Depressing day for the 'Canes today. Completley schlacked by Louisville and are going to fall out of the top 25.

Go Dolphins?

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 09/17/06 04:24 PM

Anyone see any similarities?

[img]http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:dn...e/25/255427.jpg[/img]

[img]http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:v6...ngham_getty.jpg[/img]

In all seriousness, I do think Weis is still a good coach, but how in the hell did everyone proclaim him the Messiah after one good season in which he beat a bunch of average teams and lost to the good teams they played? Isn't that exactly what Willingham did in his first season? Time will tell I guess.

BTW-I am a Michigan fan who absolutely hates Ohio State. Anyone who thinks goombah is being a homer needs to look in the mirror. When it comes to college football, he the the most unbiased poster on the board by far.

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 09/17/06 07:10 PM

I used to work for a huge lawfirm, headquartered in Cleveland but with offices worldwide, in which the managing partner was on the ND Board of Directors. The attorney put tremendous pressure on the Athletic Dept (he is a huge alumni donator) to fire Willingham. I'm not insinuating that it's b/c Ty Willingham is black. But he was forced out b/c this attorney convinced the rest of the board of directors that Willingham was not "projecting the image" that ND wanted.

And I agree about the premature way in which Weis was elevated to folk hero after 1 season. Yes, he did a very good job last year. But Willingham was doing well enough too. It's not like Weis took the team from 1 win to an 11-1 season. I'll never understand why they gave Weis that huge contract extension, esp. for all those years.

J Buffer - thank you. If you're a huge Michigan fan, then you have to be feeling pretty good today. I have to say that I cannot root for either team in the ND-UM game each year because I do not like ND and, as an OSU fan, the prospect of rooting for Michigan sickens me.
Posted By: klydon1

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 09/18/06 04:35 PM

[QB]

I'll never understand why they gave Weis that huge contract extension, esp. for all those years.

Weis got the extension simply because during last season his stock rose enormously and several pro teams placed him at the top of their lists as a potential head coach. Sure, he can still walk, but the extension makes it harder for him to leave.

While ND wasn't 1-11 prior to his arrival, Willingham was floundering as coach, the offense was uninspired, and despite some early success in his first year, there wasn't any improvement.

It will be interesting to see Weis' teams when the players that he recruited are operating in his system.

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 09/18/06 08:54 PM

Klydon

I should have been more clear. I don't disagree with giving Weis an extension, but for 10 years? That's absurd in today's what-have-you-done-for-me-lately world.

Playing devil's advocate - what if Weis loses 3 times this year? Would that be "floundering" ala Willingham? I just think Ty got a bum deal - again, I'm a non-ND fan so I don't have a rooting interest in Willingham one way or the other.

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 09/20/06 08:31 PM

10 years is a pretty big extension. I don't even know if Weis will be coaching then. Also, the expectations at ND have forced some very good coaches to retire early, like Parseghian and Holtz.

9-3 would be a disappointment to Weis. However, I think the team is moving in the right direction and a 9-3 record wouldn't necessarily reflect floundering. I think secondary speed was sorely lacking when he arrived, and he brought a winning attitude. Plus, he has recruited well and ND should always attract a top QB as Weis turned a scrap heap QB in the NFL to a 3 time Super bowl champion.

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 09/29/06 01:11 PM

as i was saying yesterday before all hell broke loose....

Notre Dame HATERS: the irish have the toughest schedule EVERY YR b/c they are the only team who plays a VARIETY. an sec school or a big 12 school for example gets to play the same teams every yr. they swap tapes w/ fellow conference coaches during the summer, they go to conference coaches conventions and clinics and discuss the upcoming seasons opponents,they recruit from the same pool of kids, parts of their staff were coaches elsewhere in the conference,etc. however.... notre dame who 'chose' to be an independent about 120 yrs ago will play california teams, then a few from the big 11, then sneak in a georgia tech, or tennessee like last season, or miami in the late 80s or florida st in the early 90's. notre dame was the first team to travel the country looking for someone's ass to kick. this is why south bend is called the cradle of college football. and as i said earlier, they still travel the country MORE than ANYONE else looking for someone's ass to kick.

I12--the big 12 is NOT lacking talent i assure you. if we had a tourney between the big 12 big 10 SEC and pac-10 i can assure you many a' gambler would pick the big 12. 0-4 colorado lost to georgia by a pt last week..... and texas was put in the top 5 this season b/c they returned more than a majority of starters from last yrs national championship team. yes texas gets a break by playing rice and sam houston, but texas/texasatm/oklahoma will always be one of the perennial favorites b/c of TEXAS HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL. it is the fountainhead of college football and a texas school is always dangerous. (remember texas atm almost beating texas in last yrs final reg season game with a qb who had never taken a college snap?)

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 10/01/06 12:11 AM

A good win for Notre Dame today to give Purdue their first lost of the season. Hopefully this will get them back in the top 10

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 10/01/06 03:24 AM

I must admit that I was nervous heading into the OSU-Iowa game. Ohio State made the plays when they needed to the most on both sides of the ball. Antonio Pittman would be a legitimate Heisman candidate if he was not on the same team as Smith & Ginn. In my mind, they have passed 3 big tests so far this season: beating Texas and Iowa on the road and avenging the loss last year to Penn State. Texas has kicked the crap out of each opponent (and scored at will) they have played since the OSU game, which makes the Buckeyes ability to hold the Longhorns to 7 points all the more amazing.
Posted By: Freddie C.

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 10/05/06 06:37 PM

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 10/05/06 06:40 PM

that is hilarious.

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 10/06/06 07:19 PM

Quote:
[quote]Originally posted by MaryCas:
[b] Whoa Irish. Is there a bigger cupcake than Army on the ND schedule?
ND has played one of the three service academies every yr. since the inception of college football. [/b][/quote]this year they are playing all 3!!

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 10/29/06 12:35 PM

The USC loss certainly shook the national championship up a bit. This was a somewhat surprising loss, but they have played poorly the past 3 weeks. It certainly opens the door for a one loss team to be playing for the national title against the winner of the Michigan-OSU game.

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 11/09/06 11:10 PM

Lets all root for 'our Don's' alma mater tonight!

Go Scarlet!!!!

(it ain't gonna happen though )

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 11/09/06 11:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Ice
Lets all root for 'our Don's' alma mater tonight!

Go Scarlet!!!!

(it ain't gonna happen though )

We'll see 'bout that! (Gonna be REALLY TOUGH, tho!)

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 11/10/06 12:20 AM

Go Scarlett Knights, hopefully we can get Coach Schiano down here next year...

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 11/10/06 01:49 AM

Louisville, damn... good team.

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 11/10/06 04:04 AM

YEAH!!!!! OMG can't believe Louisville was OFFSIDES!!!!!

LET THE BCS SHAKEUP BEGIN!!!!!

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 11/10/06 04:11 AM

No chance in hell Schiano leaves.

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 11/10/06 06:18 AM

!!!!! RUTGERS !!!!!
Posted By: Just Lou

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 11/10/06 06:30 AM

I went to the Primus concert in the city, but I'm glad I DVR'ed the game.
Posted By: DonMichaelCorleone

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 11/10/06 06:32 AM

I was SO on the field once that game was over.....and the women on the field :homersimpsondrooling:
Posted By: Just Lou

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 11/10/06 06:37 AM

My nephew and brother-in-law went to the game. They were debating whether to sell the tickets, but decided to go.

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 11/10/06 06:53 AM

tickets were going for like 300/400 a piece....but in my opinion the game was more than worth it

Re: 2006 College Football ThreadA - 11/10/06 07:30 AM

All you bragards can see - my last post!! (that's what's important, right?)

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 11/10/06 07:35 AM

Originally Posted By: DonMichaelCorleone
I was SO on the field once that game was over.....and the women on the field :homersimpsondrooling:

Wow storming the field DMC that is tough stuff, something to remember forever. And at a Rutgers game of all places!!

There is soooo much parody in college football now. I say that if Rutgers beats West Virginia and goes undefeated, they should be in the f*in title game. THEY ARE A GOOD TEAM!!

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 11/10/06 11:19 AM

Rutgers *is* a good team. But until they find a QB who can throw the ball, they won't be a *great* team. But that said, their QB -- well, defense actually -- got'm this far, so I guess they can't be that bad, right?

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 11/10/06 01:56 PM

Well you just beat the #3 team in the country bud

Enjoy it, and again, so much parody in CF today I'm telling ya, Rutgers could probably hang around w/ ANYONE. One more big game left and we shall see what happens with the polls I guess.
Posted By: Don Sicilia

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 11/10/06 03:01 PM

I never follow college football (I went to a D3 school ), but I just came here to congratulate JG on his school's big win last night.

DMC - I hope you weren't one of the bozos who stormed the field when there was time remaining.

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 11/10/06 03:06 PM

No, I've made that perfectly clear to everyone I talked to, I stormed the field after the time EXPIRED (how's that for a concept) The best part was that the college girls didn't like their shirts too much after Rutgers won and most of them took them off, not sure if they showed that on tv though lol

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 11/10/06 03:07 PM

Christmas in November, huh DMC?

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 11/10/06 03:16 PM

Christmas/Hanukkah/Kwanzaa/Birthday/Easter/All Saints Day in November

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 11/10/06 05:00 PM

I bleed Scarlet and Gray so I rooted for the Scarlet Knights to beat those Birds from Kentucky. Congrates on your team winning last night. I would like to play Rutgers after OSU dismantles M*ch*g*n.

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 11/10/06 07:34 PM

So now what happens - does Rutgers have a conference title game if they beat W. Va? That was quite a comeback by Rutgers last night - congrats to their fans.

8 more days until the college football game of the year.

I echo your sentiments Don Alessandrio.

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 11/10/06 07:43 PM

No title game for the Big East. Yet another reason Rutgers will probably get shut out of the BCS title game.

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 11/12/06 04:56 AM

WOO HOO! K-State beat Texas

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 11/12/06 05:27 AM

No title game for the Big East. Yet another reason Rutgers will probably get shut out of the BCS title game.

If Rutgers loses to West Virginia, and there is a three-way tie for first in the Big East, it is my understanding that the BCS will determine the Big East Champion.

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 11/12/06 05:30 AM

Originally Posted By: Irishman12
WOO HOO! K-State beat Texas

Put a fork in the Longhorns...they're done.

The ND USC game has just become even more significant.

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 11/12/06 05:34 AM

Wow, with 3,4, and 5 losing, we might see a UM OSU re match after all, with UM winning both of course.

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 11/13/06 01:11 PM

Looks as if the winner of USC/Notre Dame (assuming USC wins out) could be in the driver's seat. Thank God everyone is finally off of Florida's di*k, and if Arkansas wins the SEC they suffered that season opening blowout to USC which would probably allow the ND/USC winner to get in.

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 11/13/06 02:01 PM

what if USC goes down to Cal and then beats ND, and Arkansas wins the sec title game against Florida? And Rutgers loses to WV. How about an OSU\team from up north winner vs Arkansas?
These next 3 weeks are great. 4 (maybe 5) games in which teams ranked in the top 11 of the BCS play each other.

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 11/13/06 03:08 PM

I think Arkansas is f*d b/c they got blown out by USC. Root for Arkansas if you DO NOT want an SEC team in the title game.

I had West Virginia going all yr, so if Rutgers takes care of them and remains undefeated I think they should play for a title. That said, I think Rutgers loses that game.

If not....they should play for the title. USC has a bullshit loss to Osu, and ND's schedule has been below par(below par for ND) b/c teams like Stanford, Purdue, UCLA, UNC have all been down.

Who else? Michigan/Ohio St loser could still go with a loss IF Rutgers loses, Florida loses to FSU but beats Arkansas in title game, USC loses to Cal but beats ND. What else?

LOT OF FOOTBALL LEFT

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 11/17/06 02:39 PM

MICHIGAN vs. OHIO ST.

Should be a great one!

I can't help but think back to OSU's game last season vs my beloved Texas. IF Tressel plays Troy Smith the ENTIRE game instead of Justin Zwick the Buckeyes win and Vince Young is still in college and we are talking about Texas this yr.

THAT SAID....

Michigan supposedly has the best defense in the country this yr and you know they have the offensive weapons. OSU's defense has NOT been challenged this season, and as good as the current unit might be I don't think they have 3 first rounders like last seasons amazing squad had. I like Michigan's chances to match the Buckeye's point total.

MICHIGAN 31 OHIO ST 28 (What a game this should be)

EDIT-RIP Bo, dead at 77. Supposedly he gave a talk to the team last night and skipped out of his doctor's appt. Damn, this game just got a lot better if thats even possible.

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 11/19/06 02:41 AM

Ahhh what the fu*k do I know!?!

Congrats OSU fans(Goombah, Don Alessandrio,etc) looks like its just a one horse race this year. OSU gave Michigan several chances and they still couldn't win.

(Watch out for Weis and the Irish though if they can somehow sneak in to the title game I say)

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 11/19/06 03:11 AM

Thanks Ice. It's a great feeling in Ohio tonight. There are not many moments in Ohio sports that I have been able to relish, so this is particulary sweet for me.

As much as I would love to gloat, I simply cannot. I have to tip my hat to Michigan. They played a hell of a game. Neither side played defense particularly well, but it was an entertaining game. They ran at will against Ohio State and won the turnover battle. The key, IMO, was when OSU held Michigan to a field goal after getting the ball within the OSU 30 yard line on a turnover.

I think Michigan deserves a rematch in the title game, but I don't think it will happen. Cal is leading USC right now, so we'll see. If USC and/or Florida win out, then Michigan will probably be left out of the title game.

RIP Bo.

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 11/19/06 06:42 AM

I guess I couldn't expect RU to win *every* game... but c'mon... that %$@^ "quarterback" can't throw to save his life!! WTF??

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 11/19/06 08:01 AM

Damn u were right JG, that guy sucks with a capital S. College football is crazy though, football is crazy though. Anything can happen week to week in most games.

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 11/20/06 01:33 PM

So it appears as if USC wins out, they'll move up past Michigan and play OSU for the title. If USC loses, what is the most likely scenario: OSU - Florida (assuming they win out) or OSU-Michigan.

I don't think ND gets in the title game even if they beat USC because of the thumping Michigan put on ND back in September.

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 11/20/06 09:39 PM

I think an OSU-Mich rematch would be another great game. But I don't think Mich is any more deserving than a 1 loss USC or Florida team. Personally I was rooting for an OSU- Rutgers game but those pesky Bearcats ruined that for me.

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 11/21/06 10:14 PM

A few posts ago I said I thought Michigan deserves a rematch. Now I'm changing my mind. Why would a Michigan win catapult them to the #1 ranking in a rematch? Using this half-assed BCS formula, what if Michigan beat OSU in the title game by 1 point? Who would be #1 then - would there have to be a 3rd game to "break the tie?" I think Michigan had their shot, they lost, and now it's time for another team to step up.

The only way I can justify a rematch is if USC, Florida, and Arkansas all get a 2nd loss.

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 11/22/06 05:23 AM

As good as Michigan is, and they may very well be the legitimate Number Two team in the country, I don't think they should be considered to face OSU in a national championship game. They had a chance already to beat the Buckeyes and didn't.

OSU's opponent should be a one-loss team that hasn't played them yet. There are too many schools to give one team a second bite of the apple. I understand the Mich-OSU game was at Ohio, but that's life.

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 11/22/06 01:07 PM

Klydon

You make a good point. After everybody has played their final game by early December, Michigan still may be the #2 team in the country. Regardless, they had their shot and didn't come through. A neutral field for OSU-Michigan defeats the purpose IMO.

I think a great Big 10 BCS bowl matchup of 1 loss teams would be Michigan-Wisconsin.

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 11/26/06 05:34 AM

Notre Dame sucks.

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 11/26/06 07:10 AM

Brady Quinn sucks.

Next yr Weis has a QB he actually recruited.

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 11/26/06 07:39 AM

Originally Posted By: Don Andrew
Notre Dame sucks.

So does Miami At least Notre Dame was an above .500 team

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 11/26/06 08:35 AM

ND's last 3 losses
-USC
-Michigan
-Ohio St.
----------

Hey Irish how come you didn't post a picture of the Texas loss this week?

Hope you Ohio St fans know why I was not as high on the Buckeyes as some. That win against Texas meant little.

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 11/26/06 01:57 PM

As always, the pollsters look to the 1940's to overrate Notre Dame. How come whenever Notre Dame plays someone halfway decent, they either struggle or lose? NO, Air Force does not count.

As for Miami, that's an abbiration dude. You can thank Larry Coker. He's gone now. Why don't you tell Notre Dame to stop being such pussies and schedule us?

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 11/26/06 06:33 PM

Originally Posted By: goombah
Klydon

You make a good point. After everybody has played their final game by early December, Michigan still may be the #2 team in the country. Regardless, they had their shot and didn't come through. A neutral field for OSU-Michigan defeats the purpose IMO.

I think a great Big 10 BCS bowl matchup of 1 loss teams would be Michigan-Wisconsin.
Can't happen, each conference is only allowed 2 BCS berth's.

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 11/26/06 07:35 PM

Originally Posted By: ap_capone48101
Klydon

Can't happen, each conference is only allowed 2 BCS berth's.

Thanks for the clarification. I didn't know that.
Posted By: The Iceman

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 11/27/06 12:43 AM

I'm just waiting until next saturday the big 12 championship game between Nebraska Cornhuskers & Oklahoma Sooners. Both teams are pretty evenly matched.

I may live in Nebraska but I'll be rooting for the Oklahoma Sooners. Which will pit me against everyone I work with.

What I find ironic about this machtup is that this will be the first meeting in the big 12 title game between the 2 most dominate teams from the old big 8.

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 11/27/06 11:45 PM

Look at how far ND fell in all the polls as an indicator how overrated they were this year. Their last 3 losses, dating back to the Fiesta Bowl, have been by at least 14 points per game. They have not beaten a top echelon opponent in 2006 and if they play Michigan in the Rose Bowl, will probably have their asses handed to them again.

The thing I don't get is how Brady Quinn gets so much attention. If he can't win a meaningful NCAA game, who in the hell is that supposed to translate in the pros? Let Al Davis take him so that we can all but guarantee he will be a complete flop.

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 11/28/06 01:47 AM

The thing I don't get is how Brady Quinn gets so much attention.

He got so much attention AFTER Charlie Weis got ahold of him and completely turned his career around. Quinn is a Willingham recruit, not a Weis recruit. W/O Weis he would never have attained such status, the only reason he is slated as a first round pick is b/c he has spent 2 yrs under Charlie Weis. Some scouts give an awful lot of creedence to who coached the qb, and sometimes overlook the qb's lack of skills, mental or physical.

Next yr Weis will have a qb that he recruited, and I expect the ND era of college football will begin again. ND loses almost all it's starters though, so, it may take a cpl of yrs.

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 11/28/06 04:36 AM

By all accounts pro scouts rate Quinn very highly. His skills, head and toughness will serve himwell at the next level.

Saturday night, I thought he played very well considering that his receivers weren't getting much separation, he was under pressure, and quite a few balls were dropped. He runs well and has excellent pocket presence. He's led the team in some impressive come from behind wins.

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 11/28/06 08:27 AM

Ya you are right Kly, but again, before Weis came to ND Bradie was a nobody. Pro scouts rate him high NOW, mostly b/c of his association with Weis. If Ty Willingham was still coaching at ND then Bradie Quinn would not be in our discussion, nor would he be a high draft pick..... But I agree, he has good presence and has had some nice comebacks.

I heard Bob Davie during Saturday night's game talk about him as a top 3 pick. Back in June that was a popular notion, not so much anymore. That makes about as much sense as Colt McCoy being a Heisman candidate. But Bradie has been hyped as the number 1 player since last February. However, I will be very interested to see where he actually goes on draft day.

Remember, college sports is a lot like politics. Certain players and certain universities get to have their names plugged into everyone's consiousness. Schools like ND and Texas are two of the bigger spenders. As a Texas fan it was soooo very funny to see my university pop up on espn commercials, or Colt McCoy for Heisman, or analysts picking them to win it all when they knew it could never happen. Some of that was to hype the OSU-Texas game, but bottom line is that $$$ talks in this sport/business. As for Bradie, I figure next season ND will have YET ANOTHER 'Quinn' that they can hype as the next Joe Montana.

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 11/28/06 01:54 PM

Actually Quinn was a highley recruited player out of High School. I believe his top schools were OSU, Mich, ND, USC, and Florida. He had a pick of any school he wanted. He was talked about as the next(perhaps only) greatest QB to come out of the state of Ohio. And there were talks of him playing on sundays way back in his high school days.

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 11/28/06 02:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Don Alessandrio
Actually Quinn was a highley recruited player out of High School. I believe his top schools were OSU, Mich, ND, USC, and Florida. He had a pick of any school he wanted. He was talked about as the next(perhaps only) greatest QB to come out of the state of Ohio. And there were talks of him playing on sundays way back in his high school days.

As a Notre Dame fan, I remember a buzz about Quinn coming out of Dublin, OH (I believe). He certainly flourished under Weiss.

It makes me think...what if Ron Powlus had Weiss as a coach for three years. Lou Holtz was a great coach, but he emphasized a strong ground game and Bob Davie was a defensive whiz, but not much else. While Powlus was a good QB and holds many of the school passing records, he is looked at as a failure because he couldn't live up to the enormous hype.

I don't think there was ever as much hype around a high school football player as there was around Powlus.

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 11/28/06 05:59 PM

You mean Ron(he's gonna win 3 Heismans) Powlus! There might be a player w/ as much hype if Beno Cook gets a say.

There are lots and lots and lots of big time recruits who never even see the field. Ya, Bradie was a big recruit, he went to ND he must have been. But he was nearly run out of town w/ Ty Willingham. Then Charlie Weis comes along with his slip screen passes and super bowl charm. Again, we'll wait for draft day and see who actually picks him and where.

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 12/03/06 07:23 AM

Triple OT with WV... I'm fucking PROUD of Rutgers for hanging in there! Even tho that butter-fingers couldn't hold on to that TD pass from a QB who just normally can't throw to begin with -- regardless of that -- I'm proud of them for hanging on that long when others said it'd be a romp!

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 12/03/06 01:12 PM

What does everyone think will happen tonight when they announce the BCS games? I am still stunned that USC blew such a winnable game. Florida looked awful at times but then looked good at others against Arkansas. Urban Meyer made some ridiculously bad decisions at times yesterday, not the least of which was spending his last timeout with over three minutes to go in the 3rd quarter. He's so lucky Arkansas fumbled that punt.

I think the BCS has a tough decision to make because both Michigan & Florida have compelling arguments. I think it will go to Michigan based on the points formula of the BCS since Florida was #4 going into this weekend. However, I think it should be Florida because 1) they won their conference and Michigan did not, 2) Florida won more games against better quality opponents than Michigan (wins against #13 Tennessee, #9 LSU, #8 Arkansas and a loss against #11 Auburn).

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 12/03/06 02:37 PM

A mediocre yr of football. Ohio St is obviously the best team so far and this yrs squad could not hold a candle to last yrs team which had 5 first round draft picks along w/ Ginn and Smith.

The only good thing that will come about this year is that we are one step closer to a playoff thanks to the newest BCS bs.

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 12/03/06 09:47 PM

I'm not understanding your logic. This year's OSU team is not as good as last year's based on first round draft picks? Bobby Carpenter was a reach for a 1st rounder. The defense lost 9 of its 11 starters yet won 2 more games to go undefeated in the regular season. If that's not improvement, I don't know what is.

John Cooper had far more talent in 1993 & 1998 and didn't even win the Big 10 in those years. That's why he was hated by many OSU fans and alumni. Lloyd Carr is getting the same reputatoin as Cooper. Tressel has done an amazing job.

If the coaches polls are an indicator, then it's looking like Florida will be going to Glendale.

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 12/04/06 12:36 AM

OSU 38, UF 10, it'll hardly be close.

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 12/04/06 12:44 AM

Goombah I don't how you can say this yr's team who lost their entire defense is par with last yr's.

Unless you think Smith and Ginn have improved a great deal then it's illogical. But even then it's illogical b/c last yrs O had Santonio Holmes and Nick Mangold(also first rounders)to go with Smith, Ginn, and Pittman. If this yr's team had to play Vince Young they would lose too(last yrs squad would have beaten him if Tressel had not benched Smith).

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 12/04/06 12:50 AM

OSU 38, UF 10, it'll hardly be close.

Sounds good to me. Like I said, a mediocre yr of football.
Posted By: The Iceman

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 12/04/06 01:34 AM

The only good thing that will come about this year is that we are one step closer to a playoff thanks to the newest BCS bs.

Keep dreaming that'll never happen. For one thing university presidents don't want a playoff system. So we're stuck with the current bs, And the endless years of treaking the current system.

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 12/04/06 02:30 PM

Goombah I don't how you can say this yr's team who lost their entire defense is par with last yr's.

Unless you think Smith and Ginn have improved a great deal then it's illogical. But even then it's illogical b/c last yrs O had Santonio Holmes and Nick Mangold(also first rounders)to go with Smith, Ginn, and Pittman. If this yr's team had to play Vince Young they would lose too(last yrs squad would have beaten him if Tressel had not benched Smith).

You're talking about one side of the ball, I'm talking about the entire team. This year's team at OSU is better overall. The defense last year was very good and better than this year's unit. That said, if they were so great last year, they should have beaten Texas & Penn State. And if Smith hadn't gotten into trouble and was not serving a suspension, he would have played the entire game vs. Texas. The outcome could have easily been different.

This year's offense, with Ginn, Smith, Gonzalez, and Pittman is much better than last year. Last year, they struggled at various points to put up points. This year, they have scored at will many times.

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 12/04/06 08:38 PM

I don't why you have such a hard time admitting this. This team is great but WOULD NOT beat Vince Young, and MIGHT lose to last yr's Penn State team if it were in Happy Valley. I know you want to think that since this team is a national champion that it compares to the teams of a yr ago, but it's just not true. They don't compare to last yr's Texas team, they don't compare to last yr's Ohio St team, and they don't compare to last yr's USC team.

Have you talked to any other Buckeye fans about this? Do they agree with you? Last yr's team (WITH JUSTIN ZWICK AT QB!!) almost beat Vince Young and national champion Texas!!

Tressel is probably about to get his second ring and he deserves it b/c last yr's team should have won it all(if last yr's team won it all you can bet Troy Smith would be in the pros this yr).

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 12/05/06 02:26 PM

Originally Posted By: The Iceman

Keep dreaming that'll never happen. For one thing university presidents don't want a playoff system. So we're stuck with the current bs, And the endless years of treaking the current system.

I don't think it will ever work.

However, how f*in sweet would this be!!

1.OSU
8.Boise St.

2.Florida
7.Wisconsin

3.Michigan
6.Louisville

4.LSU
5.USC

OMFG!! WE NEED A PLAFOFF

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 12/05/06 03:25 PM

I don't why you have such a hard time admitting this. This team is great but WOULD NOT beat Vince Young, and MIGHT lose to last yr's Penn State team if it were in Happy Valley. I know you want to think that since this team is a national champion that it compares to the teams of a yr ago, but it's just not true. They don't compare to last yr's Texas team, they don't compare to last yr's Ohio St team, and they don't compare to last yr's USC team.

Have you talked to any other Buckeye fans about this? Do they agree with you? Last yr's team (WITH JUSTIN ZWICK AT QB!!) almost beat Vince Young and national champion Texas!!

Tressel is probably about to get his second ring and he deserves it b/c last yr's team should have won it all(if last yr's team won it all you can bet Troy Smith would be in the pros this yr).

Never did I say that this year's OSU team is better than Texas, USC, prior national champions, or other teams from last year. Never did I say that the 2006 Ohio State team could or could not beat Vince Young. I compared the 2006 Ohio State team to the 2005 Ohio State team. What I actually said was that if Troy Smith had played the entire 2005 game vs. Texas, the result might have very well been different.

You are either making shit up or can't comprehend what was written.

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 12/05/06 04:02 PM

Ok bud, whatever, take it easy. Its just illogical to say that this yr's OSU team is better than last yrs who had the EXACT offense(in addition to Holmes and Mangold) and one of the best D's the last 10-15 yrs.

So you think the offense(despite losing Mangold and Holmes) is actually so much improved this season that they can make up for the loss of that defense? I'm not saying you can't argue that of course, (maybe this years D will turn out to be an incredible unit) but I have not heard this possibility argued by anyone. And wouldn't the 06' D have to be almost as good as 05's D in order compare to 05's team?

You know that this yr's team could not beat Vince, yet your boys last yr almost did just that. I'm lost w/ you there Goomby. If that 05 OSU team is almost as good or better than Vince then they are really, really f*in good(they should have won but Tressel has to be a typical old fu*ck who is going soft in the brain and benches Smith for visiting a booster). That 05 Texas team is a pretty good measure of 'goodness' to measure with I would say.

You are implying that this OSU offense has matured or galvinized some way, or really came to togethor more as a team, or playing w/ more heart, whatever it is.....but they did NOT play a schedule comparible to last yrs.
Posted By: dontomasso

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 12/05/06 05:46 PM

OSU will be spanked by the Gators. SPANKED!!!!

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 12/05/06 05:47 PM

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 12/05/06 05:54 PM

Here's a neat little page from the USA Today that shows how each coach voted in the Coaches' poll.

Coaches' Poll

You can scroll over coaches' names to see how each coach voted or scroll over team names to see each team's spectrum of votes.

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 12/05/06 06:02 PM

I'm not understanding your logic. This year's OSU team is not as good as last year's based on first round draft picks?

What don't you understand about my "logic"?

Later you reminded that the D lost 9 of 11 starters, thus furthur proving my "logic" that this team could not be as good as last yrs.

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 12/05/06 06:08 PM

Originally Posted By: dontomasso

I was rooting for OSU but now I don't know Goombah!

If OSU loses that game you can officially throw your theory to the curb.

edit-Don T would you care to place a small wager on pay pal?

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 12/05/06 06:33 PM

This years OSU team is better than last years. The offense and the defense are statistically better than last years. What people don't realize is that OSU did not really lose 9 of 11 starters on defense last year. They lost 9 of 16 starters. Yes the 3 linebackers were well known but Tressel plays a lot of guys on defense, he rotates DB's and D-lineman like it is a soul train dance line. Lauranites played the whole game in 2 of OSU biggest games of the year and made plays. Just listing guys names that OSU has lost does not mean anything. Hell in 2002 OSU had 15 draft picks then the next year almost went to the national championship game again being ranked #2 in the BCS before losing to Michigan. And how many of the 2002 National Champs are stars in the NFL? Micheal Jenkins, no, Mike Doss, no, Drew Carter, no, Ben Hartsock sp?, no, Craig Krenzel MVP, no.

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 12/05/06 06:51 PM

Do you care to say why this yr's team is better? (Neither you or Goombah have bothered to explain)

Again don't use the stats b/c this schedule is nothing to last yr's.

Last yr's had the same offense(plus Holmes and Mangold) plus a better defense!!

You are having homer syndrome DA

(and all of those guys you mentioned from 02 played in the pros)

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 12/05/06 07:03 PM

almost went to the national championship game again being ranked #2 in the BCS before losing to Michigan.

Are you really telling me that the yr LSU and USC split the national title that OSU would have been in the game had they not lost to Michigan? That is the definition of homer syndrome. Like you said, THEY LOST ALL OF THEIR STARS!!! You guys who live in the area were brainwashed into thinking they had a chance but that team was a joke. No one thought OSU would get into the title game over OU USC and LSU.

Oklahoma was SHOCKED by K State in the Big 12 title game and still got in, and then LSU and USC ended up splitting the title. Ohio St was not going to the national title game. Fact is they barely got in against Miami.

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 12/05/06 08:15 PM

ICE I must ask how many OSU games did you watch last year and this year or the last 5 years? And I mean watch, pay attention to the team. I mean I can say I watched 5 USC games this year but I will not say I am qualified to compare this years USC team to last years or the years before them. Being that since 2000 I have attended every home game and a few away games, I feel very qualified to state that this years team is better than last years. And being that I can't use stats this will safice.

Again saying that OSU offense this year plus Mangold and Holmes means nothing. There is a saying that teams like OSU, MICH, USC, FLorida, LSU, Auburn, Tennesse use. They don't rebuild they reload. For every postion on these teams a graduatong senior is replaced by another high school stud.

And as for me to explain why this team is better. why is last years team better? and if your reason is that you feel this year is a mediocre year in college football than no need to answer.

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 12/05/06 08:23 PM

almost went to the national championship game again being ranked #2 in the BCS before losing to Michigan.

Are you really telling me that the yr LSU and USC split the national title that OSU would have been in the game had they not lost to Michigan? That is the definition of homer syndrome. Like you said, THEY LOST ALL OF THEIR STARS!!! You guys who live in the area were brainwashed into thinking they had a chance but that team was a joke. No one thought OSU would get into the title game over OU USC and LSU.

Oklahoma was SHOCKED by K State in the Big 12 title game and still got in, and then LSU and USC ended up splitting the title. Ohio St was not going to the national title game. Fact is they barely got in against Miami.

Just for your information OSU did not barely get in, the 3rd place BCS team (georgia) was a whole 5 points behind OSU.

http://www.bcsfootball.org/bcsfb/archiveStandings

Adn you are right OSU might not have gotten in the next year even if they beat Mich but nothing is guaranteed when you are talking about the BCS

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 12/05/06 08:42 PM

And as for me to explain why this team is better. why is last years team better? and if your reason is that you feel this year is a mediocre year in college football than no need to answer.

I understand you are a fan and go to the games. But it just does not make any sense to say this yr's team is better or even close.
If you are going to say 06 is better than 05 then say the D is better. Or atleast say the O is MUCH better. Neither of you guys have said that though.

05 had a better defense(without question right??) and the 05 offense was better(except for possibly Ginn) and had more stars than the 06.You can argue that Teddy Ginn has played more consistent this yr, and that would be a good place to start your argument. In fact that would be about the only place for you to argue b/c Smith's play was suberb last season as well as this one.

And this yr in football is not so much mediocre as last yr was incredible, you know that though(USC was going for friggin' 3 in a row!! )

I am done talking about OSU football until Xmas!

I have my own program(who is without a qb for the alamo bowl) to keep up with!!

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 12/05/06 09:04 PM

Ok, Smith is better this year than last, he has a better TD to INT ratio. The offense is way better than last years. This years O has 2 play making WR last year only really had Holmes. Ginn was really just a special team star last year this year he is all around better. Gonzo and Robiskie are better tha last year. The O-line returned 3 starters. This years defense has given up less points than last years. As a team, OSU has a better turnover ratio. And no O5 defense is not better than 06, the offense was not better in 05, and as for the amount of stars the sophmores and juniors on 06 will be house hold names more than in 05. Besides the cramming of A.J. Hawk down people's throats and the recent story on Mangold which was really about his sister (a beast mind you)I don't really see any attention being made of players on 05. I mean for how much people talked about Hawk last year, has anyone even included his name as defensive rookie of teh year?

And I am a little confused as to why you are even debating this considering you just stated what things one should say to make a case against you. It seems to me you jusy pulled this idea that OSU was a better team last year than this year out of your butt just to play devil's advocate.

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 12/05/06 09:54 PM

why is last years team better? and if your reason is that you feel this year is a mediocre year in college football than no need to answer.

See this is why I have a headache arguing this w/ you guys. I could paste several other comments but this will do. I NEVER said this, in fact I stated the OPPOSITE. This is a mediocre yr in football b/c the #1 team(osu) would not have finished in the top 3 of last yr(texas,usc,osu).

Its really not possible to explain this to a biased fan, its just not b/c you want to think this team is something special, when it is text book obvious that they are (QUITE LITERALLY) a shell of last yr's team.

You are implying that this yr's team would beat Vince Young. Do you realize that? I told this to Goombah and he told me I put words into his mouth . But the fact is that if you guys say this yr's team is better than 05' then you must naturally think this yr's team would beat 05 Texas (who most know would have lost if not for the fu*k up of general Jim).

I just don't know why you guys are so hurt that this team is not that special. I understand you are biased, but you are gonna win it all, who cares if last yr's team was better??? You should have won it all last yr and then Troy Smith would have gone pro, instead you didn't and he's back to win it this yr. So whats the problem w/ that, OSU still gets a ring, come on.

(This yr's stats mean even less than stats usually mean b/c you played NO ONE(remember, Texas sucks this yr?) You played Michigan who shredded your amazing 'NO NAME DEFENSE' that is destined to go down in the annals of OSU lore. Go 'debate' this biased OPINION of yours on a fooball website plzzzzzzzzzz if you don't believe me, but first shed the scarlett and grey shades you have on )

-----------------------
NO MORE OSU FOOTBALL TALK FOR ME!! 2006 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS(thats all I have to say about the damn program!)

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 12/05/06 11:27 PM

To each his own. But I do fail to see how this years team is a shell of last years team. And if I remember correctly last years team lost to texas, so by saying this years team is better than last years does not mean '06 OSU could beat '05 Texas. it maybe your assumption but I don't agree with that either. In fact I thought the OSU Texas game of '05 would be a good game but that OSU's inexperienced and inconsistant offense would be their downfall. Honestly last years team surprised the crap out of me. I didn't expect anything except maybe a Big Ten championship.

Unfortuantly I can't make you believe this without maybe sitting you down and having a cup of tea with the person I told it to. But my girlfriends brother is a Junior at OSU. His freshman year (2004) he asked me when he would have a chance to see an OSU team compete for a national title. I told him 2 years. Now I based this on Smith being a 3 year starter at QB (which I still get to gloat to my friends who swore Zwick was going to be the next Joe Montana) , still having the juniors that left last year, and the fact that Tressel's first true recruits would now be the leaders on the team.

And last years Texas team I didn't think was the best talent they have ever had. Young was just an amazing player who is displaying his talent in the NFL right now. His greatness was even able to overcome Mack Brown's yearly choking.

Don't award OSU the trophy so soon. we have over a month until the game is played a lot could happen. I mean grades come out in 2 weeks and you never know what some stupid booster is going to try and get away with perhaps screwing the team.

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 12/06/06 03:32 AM

You guys could be right DA, this yr's D might be better. But its illogical given the fact that they lost 9 starters, three of which were first rounders(very rare as you know). While being a first rounder does not guarantee a great pro player, it does guarantee a great college player. And we know those guys last yr were great college players. These new guys this yr will be judged by time. But to say they are better AT THIS TIME in their careers than last years D unit would make this unit one of the most unheralded and unpublicized of all time.

But you COULD be right. The logic of football is against you though to think Tressel has automatically reloaded from a yr ago. A lot of fans of traditional programs(OSU and Texas) have a tendancy to think their program will reload w/ blue chippers every year. They may indeed reload, but of course the vast majority of blue chippers do not see the field. Its the 'career college players' like transfer Anthony Schlegel who turn out to be the hardest ones to replace. These are the type guys who are willing to die on the field, and these are the type guys who are soooo very hard to come by. You would have to be a top notch talent scount DA to say with certainty that these type guys are still there. Fact is the coaches usually dont know who those type guys will be. So....again, while I respect your opinion b/c you watch the program w/ great interest, assuming this unit is better than last yr's is simply not provable. Until time passes and we CAN officially confirm/deny this, my proposal is the only logical one. Last yr's team is better.

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 12/06/06 03:33 AM

Originally Posted By: Don Sicilia
Here's a neat little page from the USA Today that shows how each coach voted in the Coaches' poll.

Coaches' Poll

You can scroll over coaches' names to see how each coach voted or scroll over team names to see each team's spectrum of votes.

Damn, nice find DS.

A great thanks indeed!

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 12/06/06 01:48 PM

You are implying that this yr's team would beat Vince Young. Do you realize that? I told this to Goombah and he told me I put words into his mouth . But the fact is that if you guys say this yr's team is better than 05' then you must naturally think this yr's team would beat 05 Texas (who most know would have lost if not for the fu*k up of general Jim).

NO MORE OSU FOOTBALL TALK FOR ME!! 2006 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS(thats all I have to say about the damn program!)

See, this is where you ARE completely off base . I do not naturally think, as you allege, that this year's OSU team would beat 05 Texas just because the 06 OSU team is better than the 05 team. One has nothing to do with another, except in your mind. It's not an apples to apples comparison.

And for the record, Michigan was just supposed to have an even more "vaunted" defense than Ohio State. True, OSU's defense gave up 39 points, but 17 of those points were off turnovers where Michigan had the ball inside Ohio State's 40 yd line on each possession. OSU's defense, especially against the run, is definitely flawed - there is no disputing that point. But the Ohio State offense ripped off 2 huge TD runs against what was supposedly the best run defense in the NCAA.

Stay true to your word about not posting anything else.

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 12/06/06 04:17 PM

I do not naturally think, as you allege, that this year's OSU team would beat 05 Texas just because the 06 OSU team is better than the 05 team. One has nothing to do with another, except in your mind. It's not an apples to apples comparison.

YOU OFFER NO RATIONAL EXPLANATION FOR YOUR OPINION!!! Or for your other opinions. You just say it, and ok, thats it, thats what it is. NO, you have to explain yourself Goombah, football is no different than life's other discussable topics.

DEDUCTIVE LOGIC is on my side Goombah, thats what college football is all about. Predicting the outcome of games that will never be played by evaluating the outcome of games that were played. WHAT DO YOU GUYS NOT UNDERSTAND ABOUT THIS? No game is a given but if you use 'COLLEGE FOOTBALL LOGIC' then 05 Texas could not beat a 06 OSU team that would beat 05' OSU.

(You take a matter of fact approach w/ your opinions and it's childish. College football is obviously not one of your life's specialities but you conduct yourself like it is. There are topics in life that you have spent a great deal of time and effort researching but this is not one of them, stop acting like it is. Come lately football fans are a dime a dozen, I deal w/ them all the time. Ppl who see the game as very black and white and think b/c they watch all the games and really really like the sport that they are experts. I am not an expert but you guys clearly do not have a lot of experience. Plzzz go to a football chat site and pose these questions.)

[If you want I could take about 5 hrs out of my day to go back and point out all of the illogical, biased, and uneducated opinions that you have given in here. A lot of the posts got deleted but there are still plenty examples for me to prove that you are WAAAAY out of line with your 'matter of fact-ness' that you take in here. Again, there are subjects you might be an expert in, football is not one of them)

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 12/06/06 04:28 PM

No one but an Ohio St fan with a vested interest in this yr's team would say they are better than 05's squad. I can't believe we are even discussing this, if you guys were not OSU fans we wouldn't be. Go ask an unbiased fan of the game and closely observe the weird look they give you when you state your side of this.

THE END

edit--cya next yr

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 12/06/06 06:01 PM

Again, living in your fantasy world, you think that other people have to agree with your reasoning just because you say it's so.

I'm not writing a dissertation just because you are not satisfied. You're entitled to your opinion, but have no respect for others when they offer theirs. And having to repeat myself simply because you don't get it isn't worth the time.

I never once said I was an expert in football, or any other subject for that matter. You happen to think that you're an expert just because you have a friend who works a sports journalist. Big flipping deal. I'm sure Lee Corso, Kirk Herbstreit, and Mark May will be calling you any day for your 'expert' analysis.

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 12/06/06 06:49 PM

Well I'll drink to that Goomby!! One fantasy world liver to another. Cheers to that!!!

But Lee Corso is senile!!! I don't want anywhere near that guy.

I never posted I had a friend who was a sports journalist though.

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 12/07/06 02:55 AM

SPOILER!........SPOILER!

ENTERING THE 2005 SEASON TROY SMITH WAS THOUGHT BY MANY TO THE BEST COLLEGE QUARTERBACK IN THE COUNTRY!!!

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 01/04/07 05:19 AM

Yup Notre Dame...you're good...

Now after getting waxed by LSU, people will hopefully start shutting TFU about the Golden Dingleberries.
Posted By: ronnierocketAGO

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 01/04/07 05:25 AM

Also, Fuck you Nick Saban.

"No No, I don't want to coach at Alabama.....what, did you say $32 million?"

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 01/04/07 02:47 PM

Yeah, but worse is Wayne "Mr. King of Fucking Florida" Huizenga bending over backwards for that coward..."oh, I love Nick Saban, I want him to stay muah muah." Then to let Saban call in his resignation by telephone, to "save him a trip" is abso-fuckin'-lutley embarrassing.

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 01/04/07 06:04 PM

Yup Notre Dame...you're good...

Now after getting waxed by LSU, people will hopefully start shutting TFU about the Golden Dingleberries.

We can't all squeeze out 1 point victories over Nevada at the MPC Computers Bowl No, we got the privledge of playing the #4 team in the country

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 01/04/07 09:44 PM

Yup, and getting slaughtered by them and every other competitive team this year. But, I'm sure your proud of losing an NCAA record 9th straight bowl, getting rated as high as #2, and sticking around enough to get invited to a BCS game you had no business in. Can you say, "OVER-RATED "

-Winning the Commander in Chief trophy again by beating up on the service academies to pad your win total.

- Finally, getting blown out (not just beat) in all your losses.

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 01/09/07 03:34 AM

As a team, OSU has a better turnover ratio. And no O5 defense is not better than 06, the offense was not better in 05, and as for the amount of stars the sophmores and juniors on 06 will be house hold names more than in 05.

Maybe 05 was just a wee bit better?

Way to go Bucks!!!

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 01/09/07 06:44 AM

Wow. What a whupping the Gators put on the Buckeyes. Ohio St. was nowhere near as good as they or we thought they were. As it turns out, it's funny to think now how many thought Michigan and Ohio State were the best teams in the country and they were both pounded all over the field in their games.

I'd have to say without a doubt that Florida is the best team in the country, and this was the biggest butt whipping of the 32 game bowl season.

I was particulerly disappointed in the play of Troy Smith. It was possibly the worst performance of a Heisman Trophy winner in a bowl game. He was slow, confused, tentative and intimidated. The reaction of many of the Buckeye players amazed me as they pretty much quit and buried their heads in the second half.

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 01/09/07 01:38 PM

Hats off to the Florida Gators. They destroyed my beloved Buckeyes. I'm still stunned at how horrible Troy Smith looked. Too much time off, too much hype, and not enough game planning - particularly by the OSU defense. 50 days off and they let Florida run all over them - disgraceful. No excuses - Ohio State sucked last night for all but the first 16 seconds it took Ginn to score the opening TD. The loss completely nullified what had been a special season and rendered it meaningless.

I remember thinking when Florida lost to Alabama that I was relieved OSU would not have to face them in a title game. It turns out my worries ended up being more than justified.

This was also the 1st game in 6 years at Ohio State that Tressel and his assistants were outcoached. Hopefully this game will quell the talk of Tressel leaving OSU to coach the Cleveland Browns. That move would be the biggest mistake he could ever make.

It will not be next year, but OSU will be back as title contenders in the next couple of years. I hope this loss gnaws at Tressel and that it makes him eager to atone for the complete embarrassment.

Re: 2006 College Football Thread - 01/09/07 05:22 PM

GO GATORS!!!!!

I am so sick and tired of hearing about how wonderful the Big 10 is.....they are a joke, and Ohio State was exposed big time.
This shows the proper order of conferences:

1. SEC
2. ACC
3. Big 10
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET