Home

How About Those Mets!!!!!!!

Posted By: Don Cardi

How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 04/18/06 04:08 PM

I know it's early in the season, but if your a true blue Mets fan, you have to be excited. The best start in the history of the franchise!

Code:

10 WINS  2 LOSSES   5 games in front!

Pedro      3 - 0   3.66 ERA
Bannister  2 - 0   2.50 ERA
Glavine    2 - 0   1.50 ERA
Wagner     4 Saves 1.29 ERA

Delgado  5 HR  14 RBIs   .375 AVG   .472 Slugging Pct.
Wright   3 HR  13 RBIs   .391 AVG   .739 Slugging Pct.
Nady     4 HR   8 RBIs   .400 AVG   .756 Slugging Pct.

It's a beautiful thing! :D 

To me, Bannister could be the key to their rotation.

Don Cardi
Posted By: Beth E

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 04/18/06 04:59 PM

They're definately off to a flying start. Barrring injuries they should at least be a contender at the end of the year. The Braves are really struggling now, so it should be a tight race. I prefer it when other teams start doing well so that it's not always the same teams in it every year.

Good luck!
Posted By: plawrence

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 04/18/06 06:34 PM

I fall a bit short of being able to call myself a true "fan", but compared to the way I feel about the Yankees and my preference for NL baseball over the AL-style game, I guess I sort of am.

The key to the rotation, I think, is Pedro, because he's their best starter and the one who with a "Pedro-like" performance can lift the Mets rotation beyond the level of mediocrity.

Glavine, if he continues to perform at his present level - way beyond expectations - is a key pitcher as well.

I don't consider Bannister, Trachsel, or Zambrano to be nearly as important as Pedro or Glavine, simply because the Mets have a rotation-ready replacement available in Aaron Heilman, who might very well be better than any of the other three.

True, Heilamn's elevation to a starting role will leave the bullpen short an arm, but I think a hole like that would be a lot easier to fill than one created by the loss of a #1 or #2 starter.

The offense, though, looks strong. Although

- Nady is almost certainly hitting quite a bit over his head right now.

- With all of the games that Delgado has to play in pitcher-friendly Shea as well as Washington and Florida I don't expect him to keep up anything close to this home run pace and hit 45 or 50 homers or anything like that, and

- Floyd always worries me, with the fact that he's terribly injury prone and 35 years old

I think the ofense will be fine, because I expect

- A big year from Wright (.300+, 30-35+ homers, 110+ RBIs).

- A big improvement for Beltran, in which he has a season with numbers that are much closer to his previous seasons averages (.280 or so, 25-30 homers, 100 or mor RBIs, depending on where in the batting order he winds up hitting).

- A big improvement by Reyes, if not in his on-base percentage via walks, at least an improvement via a higher batting average. With his speed there's no reason that he shouldn't hit at least .300

Since Atlanta doesn't seem to have a starting rotation beyond Smoltz & Hudson, or a closer (or the rest of a bullpen besides), and since the rest of the division looks pretty weak, I think the Mets could actually coast to a division title - like win the thing by maybe 15 games.

Wouldn't that be amazing?
Posted By: Don Jasani

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 04/18/06 06:38 PM

I'm not a Met fan (I don't have any thing against them, they're just not my team) but this is a great thread! As I said in the Yankee thread, I believe that The Mets will finish the regular season with a better record than The Yankees. Let's see how it all plays out.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 04/18/06 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by plawrence:
The key to the rotation, I think, is Pedro, because he's their best starter and the one who with a "Pedro-like" performance can lift the Mets rotation beyond the level of mediocrity.

Glavine, if he continues to perform at his present level - way beyond expectations - is a key pitcher as well.

I don't consider Bannister, Trachsel, or Zambrano to be nearly as important as Pedro or Glavine, simply because the Mets have a rotation-ready replacement available in Aaron Heilman, who might very well be better than any of the other three.

True, Heilamn's elevation to a starting role will leave the bullpen short an arm, but I think a hole like that would be a lot easier to fill than one created by the loss of a #1 or #2 starter.

I see what you are saying Plaw, and you are correct. However the reason that I say a kid like Bannister is key is because I am looking at it from a different point of view;

We all expect Pedro to be Pedro. And of course we know Glavine has the potential and history behind him to be a quality starter. Tracshel and Zambrano? Well in truth Tracshcel has never really gotten a fair shot under Willie Randolph, and Zambrano is too unpredictable.

But now a kid like Bannister comes along and puts three solid outings together, and one can easily make an arguement that this kid should be 3 - o instead of 2 - 0. No one expected this kid to pitch the way that he has so far. And that is why I say that if he continues to pitch like he has, then that could be key for this Mets rotation. Because it allows us to keep Heilman as a reliever ( although I always liked him when he started, potential wise )and it gives us 3 real solid pitchers in the 1-2-3 of the rotation. And having guys like Traschel and Zambrano in the mix makes this staff a respectable staff. That is why I feel that Bannister is very key to bringing this pitching staff and this rotation to another level.

His potentially being a quality starter allows a manger to utilize the rest of the staff in a more beneficial way. His potentially being a quality starter gives a manager many more options.

Let's Go Mets!!!!!!!!

Don Cardi

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 04/19/06 03:59 AM

Either way, and I hate to put a jix on them but I don't believe in jinxes, the Mets somehow look like a lock to win the division.

That's amazing.
Posted By: Don Jasani

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 04/19/06 04:36 AM

Just to not see The Braves win it for the gabillionth time (it gets boring) I mean they won what one W.S.! I'm rooting for The New York Mets as well. Go Mets!

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 05/06/06 07:34 PM

AMAZING! SIMPLY AMAZING!!!!!!

Let's Go Mets!

Don Cardi

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 05/08/06 11:45 AM

Unbelievable about Zambrano, huh?

That deal for him - trading away Kazmir - can't wind up being the worse deal in Mets history (Jim Fregosi for Nolan Ryan will always have that honor, I think), but it might alreay be regarded as the second worst.

Now I'm listening to Mike & Mike on ESPN Radio discussing the Mets possibly trading Lastings Milledge for Barry Zito.

I say "NO WAY"

First of all, the NL in general and the East in particular look so weak that I don't think the Mets even need an all-star caliber starter like Zito to make it to the World Series.

I think a mid-level starter - a guy like Kris Benson (lol), Jeff Weaver, Joel Pineiro, Glendon Rusch, etc., etc. - is more than good enough.

Pedro, Glavine, Trachsel, Bannister (when he comes back), and whoever they can pick up in a deal for a mid-level or "decent" prospect (not a Milledge-caliber guy) are fine with me, except they're still very short on depth.

(How dumb were the Mets to trade away Benson for Jorge Julio, Anna Benson notwithstanding. Who cares about her?)

Second of all, you gotta wonder if coming off his last two years (11-11, with a 4.48 in 2004, and 14-13 with a 3.86 last year) and his somewhat shaky start this year (2-2, 4.07, Zito even is an all-star caliber pitcher anymore.

And finally, he becomes a free agent after this season, so I wouldn't be willing to give up much for him unless I could sign him first.

On the other hand, you think of all of those "can't-miss" prospects....all of those "Five-Tool" guys that not only didn't become big stars, but didn't even have a career. Alex Escobar, the guy the Mets let go in the Roberto Alomar trade comes immediately to mind. Jay Payton is another one, altho he had a career at least.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 05/08/06 01:06 PM

Quote:
Unbelievable about Zambrano, huh?

Now I'm listening to Mike & Mike on ESPN Radio discussing the Mets possibly trading Lastings Milledge for Barry Zito.

I say [b]"NO WAY"

First of all, the NL in general and the East in particular look so weak that I don't think the Mets even need an all-star caliber starter like Zito to make it to the World Series.

I think a mid-level starter - a guy like Kris Benson (lol), Jeff Weaver, Joel Pineiro, Glendon Rusch, etc., etc. - is more than good enough.

[/b]
I second that. You are absolutely correct.

They sure could use a Kris Benson right now. Trading a pitcher of that caliber away because of his wife. :rolleyes: Give me a break.

Now Zambrano is saying that he's had this elbow problem since he was brought over in that trade. Unbelievable.

Don Cardi

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 05/08/06 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Cardi:

They sure could use a Kris Benson right now. Trading a pitcher of that caliber away because of his wife. :rolleyes: Give me a break.

You guys can have Kris and his looney wife back. I'll make the necessary phone calls.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 05/08/06 11:43 PM

I would do Milledge for Dontrelle Willis, though.
Posted By: Just Lou

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 05/09/06 12:21 AM

Quote:
You're insane.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 05/09/06 06:30 AM

You wouldn't trade an unproven minor league hitter for a proven left-handed major league pitcher who is only 24 years old?

Think Alex Escobar. Think Alex Ochoa

(I'm putting contract issues aside here; I have no idea what Willis' status is.}

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 05/09/06 08:36 AM

Quote:

That deal for him - trading away Kazmir - can't wind up being the worse deal in Mets history (Jim Fregosi for Nolan Ryan will always have that honor, I think), but it might alreay be regarded as the second worst.

I think you're forgetting Tom Seaver for Pat Zachry.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 05/09/06 09:14 AM

Quote:
I would have to make that trade. I think that Dontrell is going to be one of the top super pitchers of baseball in a few more years.

To add to Plaw's list : Billy Beane. Remember what a superstar he was supposed to be? :rolleyes:

Milledge for Zito, no way.
For Willis, I take that shot.

What the Mets need to do right now is NOT panic. Let's face it, Zambrano was 1 and 4 anyway. It's not like you've lost a 4 and 1 pitcher. Yes, they have to address this problem, but at the same time there is no reason to make any panic trades that will cost them dearly down the road.

Don Cardi

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 05/09/06 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Beth E:
[quote]Originally posted by Don Cardi:
[b]

You guys can have Kris and his looney wife back. I'll make the necessary phone calls. [/b][/quote]Ok, send Kris back to Shea Stadium and tell Anna to make a stop over at my house .

Don Cardi

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 05/09/06 10:41 AM

Quote:
....the worse deal in Mets history (Jim Fregosi for Nolan Ryan.....), but it might already be regarded as the second worst.
Quote:
Originally posted by Just Lou:
I think you're forgetting Tom Seaver for Pat Zachry.
I wasn't forgetting it.

That one was horrible too, but the Mets got four semi-decent years out of outfielder Steve Henderson (497 games, .287, 35, 217) four almost-decent years out Doug Flynn, a good-field, no-hit second baseman/shortstop (546 games, .237, 4, 141, but only 44 errors in 2788 chances, a .988 FA).

Zachry, barely 25 at the time of the deal (Seaver was 33) started off nicely with the Mets career, going 7-6 (.538) in 19 starts with a 3.76 E.R.A for a 64-98 (.395) team during the remainder of 1977.

But his career with the Mets we destined to be beset by injuries.

He went 10-6 (.625) with a 3.33 in only 21 starts in '78 for a team that won only 66 games (.407), and then spent most of '79 on the Disabled List, still managing to go 5-1 (.833) with a 3.56 in 7 starts for a team that finished 63-99 (.389).

After that, 1980-82, he was pretty much shot for the Mets, altho he never pitched really badly. He finally moved to the Dodger in 1983-84 where he had some success as a reliever.

Code:
                                                       Team
Year     Team  Games  Starts  W-L   Win%  IPs  E.R.A.  Win % 
-
1977     Mets    19     19    7-6   .538  120   3.76   .395
1978     Mets    21     21   10-6   .625  138   3.33   .407
1979     Mets     7      7    5-1   .833   43   3.56   .389
1980-82  Mets    88     66   19-33  .365  442   3.69   .405
1983-84  LAD     98      1   11-7   .611  144   3.25   .525
So what's the net result here?

1043 more-or-less major league quality games at second base and in left field from Flynn and Henderson, and 69 more-or-less decent major league quality starts from Zachry.

Compare that to what the Mets got for Nolan Ryan, who arguably was a better pitcher than Seaver to begin with and who won 295 games, struck out more than 5000 batters, and pitched 7 no-hitters after the Mets traded him away for Jim Fregosi, from whom they got:

146 games in a season and change, and a .233 batting average in 464 ABs with all of 5 home runs and 43 RBIs.

Not even close....The Ryan-Fregosi trade was ten times worse than the Seaver deal.

Now, when you say "Aren't you forgetting it?", are you referring to Kazmir-Zambrano being worse than the Seaver deal or the Ryan deal?

I figure it this way:

The Ryan deal was by far the worst.

If they both had their careers end tomorrow, then yeah, the Seaver trade would be worse than the Kazmir trade because at this point in his career Kazmir basically hasn't done anything yet either.

But a short three years from now, when Zambrano and his lifetime Mets record of 10-14 with an E.R.A. of 4.42 is long gone, and Kazmir, even if he's still pitching for the terrible Devil Rays, has piled up 65 wins or so and is striking out a batter an inning or, better still, if Kazmir is still around 13 years from now and has maybe 200+ wins to his credit, there's no way that this trade won't be regarded as the second worst in Mets history.

StatMan

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 05/09/06 05:40 PM

I agree the Ryan trade is the worst. I also think Kazmir is overrated. The trade was truly horrible, but the media is making Kazmir out to be Sandy Koufax. Let's slow down.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 05/10/06 12:24 PM

Yeah, I'd say that the NY media has been a little lavish in their praise, but compared to Zambrano.....

Fact is, if Kazmir manages to win another 40-50 games - pitched maybe another 3-4 years - and then hurt his arm and retired, this would still be one of the wrost trades in history.

Especially considering that right now, if you put Kazmir back on the Mets and got rid of Zambrano, the Mets would be a powerhouse.

Brutal loss last night, huh?

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 05/10/06 06:42 PM

It would have been worse if they managed to get the go ahead run home from third in the 9th, and it was Wagner that threw the ball away to lose the game.

BTW, the Mets issued a statement that they will not trade David Wright or Lastings Miledge, to pick up a pitcher.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 05/10/06 09:13 PM

Quote:
It would have been worse if they managed to get the go ahead run home from third in the 9th, and it was Wagner that threw the ball away to lose the game.

What a bummer. LoDuca had the perfect postition to make that play. What the hell was Heilman thinking there?

Delgado has just been unbelievable with his bat, especially in big game situations. Teams are going to have to start realizing that this is the guy that they NEED to get out.

I'm telling you, the way that this team makes comebacks when trailing, the way they celebrate in the dugout, and the whole overall attitude of the team really reminds me of 1986.

From my mouth to God's ears!

Don Cardi

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 05/11/06 03:33 AM

Figures Kazmir pitched a gem tonight.
At least the Mets took care of business.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 05/14/06 11:07 AM

I hate to be the pessimist (OK, no I don't ), but I think the Mets could be in trouble if they don't make a deal for a decent #3 starter who can make 25 starts the rest of the season and pitch well enough for the Mets to go, say 14-11 in those 25 games.

Here's how I figure it:

Right now, the Mets are 23-13.

I figure tht Pedro and Glavine have 50 starts left between them, and I'm gonna give the Mets are generous 33-17 record in those 50 games, bringing them up to 56-30.

That leaves 76 games to divide up among the likes of Bannister, Gonzalez, Lima, and who knows who else.

If we give the Mets a generous 38-38 record in those 76 games - and I do think that's being generous - they will finish at 94-68 (.580).

So now the question is "Will that be good enough to make the playoffs?"

Well, I figure that including the Mets there are six teams in contention for the four spots.

Here's a chart which shows their current record and winning percentage, along with the record and winning percentage that they would need the rest of the way to finish at 95-67, which would beat the Mets projection of 94-68.

Code:
           Current  Win     Rest of  Win    Final    Win
           Record   Pct.    Season   Pct.   Record   Pct.
-
Mets        23-13   .638     71-55   .563    94-68   .580
St Louis    24-13   .649     71-54   .568    95-67   .586
Cincinnati  23-14   .622     72-53   .576    95-67   .586
Houston     21-16   .568     74-51   .592    95-67   .586
San Diego   21-16   .568     74-51   .592    95-67   .568
Phillies    21-15   .583     74-52   .587    95-67   .568
So in the above scenario, San Diego wins the West, St Louis the Central, and the Phils the East, leaving the Mets to battle Cincy and Houston for the wild card.

So only Houston and San Diego would have to improve on their present pace to finish with a better record than the Mets. The Phillies would have to keep winning at roughly the same rate that they have been.

If all of the teams involved keep winning at their present rates, it's the same story: The Mets lose the wild card to Cincy.

Now, if you want to say that you think Cincinnati is playing way over their heads, and they'll be lucky to finish at around .500, you could be right, BUT

The scenarios above don't allow for any other teams to unexpectedly get or stay hot and get into or remain in the race - teams like Colorado, Arizona, or Atlanta.

And the Mets could easily not go 38-38 in the games started by the group that presently comprises the bottom three in their rotation, and they could easily do worse than go 33-17 in the 50 games that I'm projecting Martinez & Glavine to start.

Big trouble in Flushing?

Could be. Right now the team I'd be watching (besides the Phillies) is Cincinnati.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 05/14/06 12:06 PM

I agree with you here Plaw. Of course a lot of things can happen, but barring any major injuries to any of those teams in the mix, there is a strong possibility that things can work out very closely to the scenrios that you've provided.

And I agree, the Mets really do need to go out and get another quality pitcher if they are serious about winning their division this season.

I believe that a healthy Bannister can be a real plus for that rotation, but not enough.

I think that they should try to make a deal for Barry Zito.

They just may have to give up one of these young prospects, but so be it if they are looking to win this thing this year, which is what they should be thinking about.

And come August/September, you and I both know that Atlanta will be right up in the mix for a playoff spot. They always find a way.

Don Cardi

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 05/14/06 01:01 PM

I'm sticking with my opinion of before on a trade.

I would not trade Milledge for Zito.

I might have traded Milledge for Willis, but the way he's pitched lately, I don't know if I would anymore.

I still say the Mets don't need someone as good as a Zito or Willis.

Just someone good enough for the Mets to win 14 or 15 of the 25 games he would figure to start.

I took a quick look at everyone's roster and came up with a list of starters that I think could help the Mets.

Not to suggest that any or all of these guys are even available - but this type of pitcher is what they need, and shouldn't cost them a Milledge or Pelfrey.

Livian Hernandez
Orlando Hernandez
Joe Blanton
Dan Haren
Cory Lidle
Matt Morris
Joel Pineiro
Gil Meche
Sidney Ponson
Jason Marquis
Jeff Suppan
Kris Benson
Matt Clement
Glendon Rusch
Paul Byrd
Jake Westbrook
Ted Lilly
Gustavo Chacin
Chien-Ming Wang
Carl Pavano
Brian Moehler
Jae Seo
Kelvim Escobar
Odalis Perez

If he's healthy, Carl Pavano would be perfect.

He's had success in the NL, and if the Yankees could solidify their rotation without him, I bet they'd love to unload his contract.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 05/14/06 02:28 PM

Well I still won't trade Milledge for Zito either.

However I think that the Mets have enough to put some kind of an offer together for Zito without parting with Milledge.

Perhaps Chavez, and minor league Pitcher Jose Sanchez, who is 3 - 1 (+ 3 no decisions) this season with a 2.18 ERA and 22 K's in 41 innings pitched can be offered in some kind of a deal for Zito.

Don Cardi
Posted By: Double-J

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 05/15/06 01:01 AM

Quote:

Carl Pavano

If he's healthy, Carl Pavano would be perfect.

He's had success in the NL, and if the Yankees could solidify their rotation without him, I bet they'd love to unload his contract.
That would be fantabulous for the Yanks.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 05/16/06 04:44 PM

Quote:
I think that the Mets have enough to put some kind of an offer together for Zito without parting with Milledge.

Perhaps Chavez, and minor league Pitcher Jose Sanchez, who is 3 - 1 (+ 3 no decisions) this season with a 2.18 ERA and 22 K's in 41 innings pitched can be offered in some kind of a deal for Zito.
Endy Chavez?

The 28-year old lifetime .259 hitter with almost no power?

Why would Oakland want him, a fourth outfielder at best and a non-major league player at worst?

I never heard of Jose Sanchez, which probably means that he's not a top prospect in the class of a Pelfrey, let's say, so when the trading deadline rolls around if oakland is not in contention and Zito is on the block, I think that oakland will get much better offers than those two guys.

I bet the Yankees - and I pick them only because I'm familiar with some of their prospects, but I'm sure there are other teams who could make better offers as well - would be willing to give up their top hitting prospect, AAA third baseman Eric Duncan, along with one of their top pitching prospects, Phillip Hughes (altho in all fairness, Duncan is having a disappointing season, and Hughes may still be nursing an injury from last year; I'm not sure).

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 05/17/06 06:01 AM

Cliff Floyd for Chien-Ming Wang.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 05/17/06 01:04 PM

Quote:
I think that oakland will get much better offers than those two guys.

That's not what I said. What I did say was :

Quote:
However I think that the Mets have enough to put some kind of an offer together for Zito without parting with Milledge. Perhaps Chavez, and minor league Pitcher Jose Sanchez, who is 3 - 1 (+ 3 no decisions) this season with a 2.18 ERA and 22 K's in 41 innings pitched can be offered in some kind of a deal for Zito.
I never said those two players straight up for Zito. I just meant that the Mets could possibly include them in some kind of a deal.

Don Cardi

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 05/17/06 01:15 PM

Wang for Floyd seems like a fair trade, except you gotta think the Yanks will be reluctant to give up any starting pitching unless Pavano comes back and is healthy, in which case they may prefer to trade him, which would also be a good deal from the Mets POV, I think.

I'd love to see the Mets dump Floyd and bring up Milledge.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 05/20/06 09:30 PM

Be-yoot-i-ful game today, huh? :rolleyes:

Now, you guys know that I've said on many occasions that I'm not that big a fan of any team except for the Nets, and if I'm in the mood to place a little wager I'll even bet against them if that's what I feel that the situation calls for.....

So this afternoon I happened to be "in the mood", and had the Mets ten times at even-6.

Ordnarily I wouldn't whine; I mean obviously, over the years of my membership here, I've made loads of bets that I haven't mentioned, and there have been other brutal losses and my share of "miracle wins" along the way, as well as simple "regular" wins and losses also (Don't you prefer losing a game 6-0 or something than losing a game like this when you have money on the line?).

I mention all of this in this thread, because JL’s -17 in Yahoo for Wagner’s brilliant piece of work and DC’s potential plus 30-something turning into a sad +14 for the Mets PS in the Salary Cap Game notwithstanding, I want you two guys to know that I was rooting for you today.

So yes…..fantasy scores take preference over my “rooting” interest as a fan in a particular team, but when it come to having money on the line, fantasy scores absolutely take a back seat to that.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 05/20/06 10:09 PM

This is a good spot to rant some more about other things that leave me dazed and confused about the way baseball is played today.

Players are stronger and in better physical shape. Training methods are supposedly better and nutrition is better.

So why is it in the 50's and 60's and into the early 70's SPs started 38-42 times a year in a four man rotation and routinely pitched 280-300 innings a year with 18-20 or more complete games, and today can only start every five days, pitch only 220 innings or so, and almost never complete a game....?

And yet there seem to be even more arm injuries than ever? :rolleyes:

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 05/21/06 05:41 AM

Willie Randolph lost the game for them today. His managing was very questionable.

I have to agree with Plaw here. What is it about today's starting pitchers that they can only go 6 or 7 innings, only throw 100 - 110 pitches which is considered high, and have to sometimes get as much as 5 days rest in between starts?

Pedro was pitching a gem today and gets pulled. OK, I'll give in to the managers decision to take him out. Don't agree with this strategy all the time, but I'll concede here and give it to Randolph.

So now he puts Sanchez in the game, who pitches a beautiful inning. Then, for reasons that I cannot understand, he takes him out in the ninth and goes to Billy Wagner. Granted that Wagner is being paid all this money and he's the Mets go to guy in the clutch, but due to the current situation that the Mets pitching staff is in, it is not a dire need to get Wagner some more work. The guy came in on Friday night and did a good job and closed out the Yankees.

But now you have Sanchez who's well rested and pitches a really good inning. So why take him out?

Ok, so Randolph does take him out. Now Wagner is looking like shit after a few batters, and then walks in a run. But does Randolph go out to the mound and take him out? No, he lets him attempt to pitch to Bernie Williams, but Wagner hits him with the first pitch and bases loaded! Now Willie Randolph decides enough is enough? A little to late there Willie, the damage has already been done. A 4 - 0 lead has just been blown, due to several poor managing decisions that you have made with your pitchers over the last 2 and maybe even 3 innings!

I always have said that when it comes to baseball, a manager can win or lose about 10 to 15 games a year for the team by the late inning decisions that he makes.

Willie just lost one for the Mets.

Don Cardi

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 05/24/06 01:38 PM

Never say die! Anyone stay up to watch the whole game last night?

They're not called the Amazing Mets for nothing!

Don Cardi

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 05/24/06 01:54 PM

They cost me a night's sleep. I went to bed at 8-5 because I had to get up at 4AM this morning. My friend wakes me up and tells me they tied it at 8. I stayed up for the entire 16 innings, and got about 3 hours sleep.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 05/30/06 01:19 PM

And another late inning comback won with a walkoff hit in the bottom of the ninth!

Never turn them off if they are losing.

This team is just so exciting.

Don Cardi

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 05/30/06 06:26 PM

I just heard on M & TMD that Nady had an emergency appendectomy this morning, and the Mets called up Milledge.

Nady is supposed to miss 3-4 weeks, and Milledge is expected to play every day in right.

It was just about this time (a little earlier, actually) that the Mets called up Strawberry in 1983, and that era began.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 05/31/06 09:50 AM

Milledge made his debut last night in RF, batted 8th, and went 1-4 with a double. Left three runners on base, though.

Another newbie, El Duque, made his Mets' debut on Sunday.

He got the win, pitching 5 innings and allowing 3 runs on 5 hits while striking out 7 and walking 3.

He'll need to do better; if that's gonna be his average performance, I don't think that will cut it.

Five innings means probably using three relievers. With seemingly only Pedro good for 7 innings per start, their bullpen is gonna be burned out by July.

The third newest Met, Cuban import Alay Soler, made his second start last night.

His two starts so far look like this:

Code:
Date  Dec  IP  ER  H  SO  BB  E.R.A.
5/25   -    6   2  5   5   4
5/30   L    5   7  8   1   3   7.36
Not good.....

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 06/10/06 10:48 AM

I like the Matsui trade.

The Mets got rid of a guy who can't play, and in Eli Marrero picked up someone who can definitely help off the bench.

He can catch, play first, and all three outfield positions, plus hit with a little power.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/playerStats?categoryId=85798

On another note, El Duque's record looks a lot better after his last start:
Code:

Date  Dec  IP  ER  H  SO  BB  E.R.A.
5/25   -    6   2  5   5   4
5/30   L    5   7  8   1   3   7.36
6/6    W    9   1  3   3   2   4.50

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 06/12/06 02:11 AM

What a road trip so far. El Duque, Soler, and today they spanked the shit out of Arizona.

My thinking is this. Going into this road trip and basically up until All Star Break, they will have played 19 of their next 26 games on the road. So far they are 6 - 1 with 19 more games to play out of those 26. If they can play around .500 ball over the next 19 games, they should be in really great shape for the second half of the season.

Don Cardi

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 06/12/06 03:14 AM

Right now the team is scary. No more one run wins in the last at bat. Now it's blow them out of the water early, and cruise the rest of the game.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 06/14/06 02:42 PM

I'm was just listening to Joe Benigno on WFAN, and a caller suggested the following trade:

Milledge & Pelfrey to the Marlins for Willis & Cabrera.

I'd make this deal in about a half a second if I could, yet Benigno and whoever is sidekick is right now that does the updates actually were hemming and hawing about it, and unsure about whether they would do it or not.

Am I nuts, or are they?

What is there to think about? Two proven major leaguers and two of the best young players in the game for two unproven rookies?

Hell, if necessary I'd even throw in Cliff Floyd to make a spot for Cabrera in the outfield, and a couple of more prospects besides.

If the Mets could make that deal and then pick up a decent everyday second baseman, they'd be the best team in baseball.

They might even be the best team in baseball without a decent everyday second baseman if they could make that deal.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 06/14/06 04:51 PM

I have been saying that the Mets need to keep Lastings Milledge, he is young, can be the future with this team, and I don't like giving away the future for the now. Especiall when I see a team that IMO, is good enough to make a run this year.

However when looking at a trade like this one, I would have to be honest and tell you that I make that deal. These two proven players for two unproven rookies? Done deal. But what makes me even more willing to make this trade is that while you are giving up a young 'prospect' in Milledge, you are getting back a young, pretty much proven ballplayer in Cabrera. He's only 23 years old and has put up and maintained some nice numbers. What has he averaged, 30 HR's a year in his three year career? And has a lifetime avg. of around .300!

And as far as Dontrell and Pelfry go, well that part of the deal shouldn't even be given a second thought. We really know absolutely nothing about Pelfry. We do know that Willis can help us right now, and yet is still young enough to help us in the future.

By swapping these players, the Mets are not giving up their future because they are getting two YOUNG & PROVEN players that will make them that much better right now, and also in the future.

If I'm Omar Manaya, I make the deal.

Don Cardi

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 06/14/06 05:08 PM

In Cabrera'a rookie year - 2003 - he hit .268 with 12 homers and 62 RBIs in 87 games. He was 23 years old, BTW, this past April.

The last two years he's hit .294 and .323, with 66 homers and 226 driven in, along with 207 runs scored.

If Milledge is even anywhere near those kind of numbers, Met fans should be thrilled.

Willis, who turned 24 this past January, has played almost three full seasons heading into this one, averaging 15-9, and 198 IPs with an E.R.A. of 3.27.

If Pelfrey is anywhere near that good, Mets fans should be thrilled.

A no brainer.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 06/14/06 07:00 PM

Quote:
I'm was just listening to Joe Benigno on WFAN, and a caller suggested the following trade:

Milledge & Pelfrey to the Marlins for Willis & Cabrera.

I'd make this deal in about a half a second if I could, yet Benigno and whoever is sidekick is right now that does the updates actually were hemming and hawing about it, and unsure about whether they would do it or not.

Am I nuts, or are they?

What is there to think about? Two proven major leaguers and two of the best young players in the game for two unproven rookies?

I agree. That's a trade the Mets have to make. I can't see the Marlins doing that though. From what I heard on WFAN, the Marlins have been offered multiple prospects from other teams just for Willis. I think he'll end up in L.A. with the Dodgers if he's traded.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 06/14/06 10:01 PM

My authentic Beltran road jersey.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 06/16/06 12:33 AM

I'll be at Shea tomorrow night to welcome home the Mets.
Posted By: ginaitaliangirl

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 06/16/06 12:43 AM

Glad you're enjoying him, Lou.

No, I'm just teasing you - I can't actually root for him, but it's good to see he's done y'all well. I won't be a bad sport about it.

I just had to respond after seeing you post a pic of a new jersey and then talk about going to a game...you've got great spirit.

If you take pics there, I'd love for you to post them - I always enjoy ballpark photos of any kind, and we don't get to see many fan pics here at the BB, so that'd be cool. Hope you have fun!

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 06/16/06 01:12 AM

I may bring the camera since Shea is on its last years. I want to have have some good pictures before it's gone.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 06/16/06 02:57 AM

Great idea - wish I was old enough to know to take some pics at the Astrodome back when they still played there.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 06/17/06 02:42 PM

What's up with Heilmann, do you think?

If he's gonna be ineffective, the bullpen has a problem.

Code:

G    IP     SO  BB  ER  H  SV  BS  HLD  W-L  E.R.A.
-
4/3 - 5/21   19    25.1  23   8   4  19  0   1   8   0-1   1.42
5/22 - 6/16  11    11.2   7   7  16  18  0   2   4   0-1  12.71
Total        30    37    30  15  20  37  0   3  12   0-2   4.86

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 06/17/06 04:19 PM

Quote:
What's up with Heilmann, do you think?
I think his biggest problem is he doesn't want to be bullpen, and now he knows the Mets have no intention of ever moving him back into the rotation no matter what.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 06/17/06 04:38 PM

So you're saying it's mental then?

In that case, where do the Mets go with him from here? Trade him to a team that will use him as a starter?

Everyone needs starting pitching; Here are three deals I just thought of with teams that can replace their second baseman:

To the Dodgers for Kent
To Pittsburgh for Castillo
To Texas for Kinsler or DeRosa

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 06/17/06 04:45 PM

It's at least partially mental. The guy does not want to be a relief pitcher, and he sees the Mets bringing guys up and trading for Hernandez, without giving him a chance. The Mets needed a starter coming out of spring training, and he pitched almost perfect baseball the entire spring. Then they gave the job to Bannister. I've heard that his agent has asked, not demanded, that the Mets look into trading him to a team looking for a starter.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 06/17/06 04:47 PM

See addition to my post above

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 06/17/06 04:52 PM

To Atlanta for Giles
To Washington for Vidro

To Florida with Milledge or Pelfrey for Willis or Cabrera

With someone else to the Yankees - not sure who - for Cano.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 06/17/06 04:59 PM

I have no idea what his trade value would even be right now. He probably had more value coming out of spring training.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 06/17/06 05:09 PM

Unfortunately from the Mets POV, you're probably right about that.

I guess it's really a two-part problem now, unless you just want to stick with him and figure he'll straighten himself out:

1) Who can they get for him that would help the team, and
2) What role do you use him in if you don't trade him?

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 06/18/06 05:05 AM

Here are those pictures of Shea I promised. In the last one, you can see the very early beginning of the Mets' new ballpark beyond centerfield.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 06/18/06 05:17 AM

Beautiful stadium - thanks for posting these, Lou.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 06/18/06 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ginaitaliangirl:
Beautiful stadium
In reality, not really. It may the worst in MLB. It just looks pretty in those pictures.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 06/18/06 05:24 AM

Well, I never would've known, judging by those pics.

I think it's just the look of any baseball field that impresses me.

So what's the deal on the new stadium? I don't think I'd even heard about one being built. When is it due to be ready? And I suppose it'll be like the Cardinals', being set up right next door?

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 06/18/06 05:27 AM

I really don't see what's so terrible about Shea.

Sure, with all of the brand new stadiums built in the last few years it's not state-of-the-art like it was in 1964, and because it's no longer new may now be "one of the worst", but I don't see what's wrong with it.

I'd much rather go to Shea than to Yankee Stadium. I think it's easier getting in and out and to and from your seat, and it's considerably more comfortable and roomy inside.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 06/18/06 05:29 AM

It will open at the start of the 2009 season. It will be located in the current parking lot, behind Shea's centerfield. The lot is now closed. In the last picture, you can see the heavy equipment they've started to move into the area. Official groundbreaking is next month, I believe.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 06/18/06 05:35 AM

Wow, that'd be interesting to watch it all unfold.

Thanks for that info - another baseball tidbit for me to know...which I can always use.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 06/18/06 05:38 AM

Quote:
I really don't see what's so terrible about Shea.

It's terrible. The bathrooms are a disgrace. Getting to your seat is a chore. There is no place to eat except for over-priced fastfood. Many of the Loge and Mezzanine reserved seats have a terrible view, where you can't see fly balls because of the overhang. When the game is over, if there's a large crowd, you get stuck in a large mass of humanity due to the very narrow walkways. As for getting there, I much rather travel to Shea than Yankee Stadium.

On another note, I wish they'd leave Giants' Stadium alone. I have season tickets, and have been almost every Giant game ever played there. I really don't want a new stadium. I have excellent seats, and have no complaints about the stadium.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 06/18/06 06:02 AM

You're right about the overhang in the loge and mezzanine.

The bathrooms can be fixed up, though. That's no reason to build a new stadium, although since they're not using taxpayer's money, I really don't care.

The walkways at Yankee Stadium are even narrower, I think, and getting in and out of there is worse, IMO.

The way you feel about Giants Stadium is the way I feel about the Nets moving to Brooklyn.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 06/18/06 06:14 AM

Shea will always have a place im my heart, but I'll be glad to see it go.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 06/21/06 12:09 AM

Quote:
I have season tickets, I have excellent seats.
Hey Lou, did anyone ever tell you what a great pal you are?

Don Cardi

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 06/21/06 12:15 AM

Yeah. It's amazing how many pals I have from September to January.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 06/22/06 02:30 AM

Tough loss tonight.

That's four blown saves for Wagner this year.

Five, really, except the game against the Yankees when he came in with a 4-0 lead and gave up four runs and allowed them to tie the score (and eventually win the game) doesn't count because since the Mets were up by four runs it's not considered a "Save Opportunity". :rolleyes:
Posted By: SC

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 06/22/06 02:36 AM

Lori and I are going to the game tomorrow. I won two tix in a raffle at work (good seats.... between home and first). Hmmmm, the last time I sat there was in Chicago and I got to visit an Emergency Room. I think I'll bring my glove this time.

Pedro's pitching!

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 06/22/06 08:52 PM

Good game, good seats, lousy weather.

It felt like it was over 100°.... the humidity was stifling. Lori asked why so many people were wearing shirts with the name "Wright" on them. Two home runs and 4 rbi's later she knew. (I told her that all the women who wore that shirt were doing so because they were looking for Mr. Right).
Posted By: MafiaJ

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 06/23/06 12:26 AM

I'm proud that the Mets are doing so much better this year and the Yankees are really sucking, what an odd change of events The Mets rock and win or lose I'm behind them 110%. I'm a Mets fan for life.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 06/23/06 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SC:
I played golf today, and we couldn't finish 18 holes. We walked the course, and by the 12th hole we were shot.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 06/23/06 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MafiaJ:
I'm proud that the Mets are doing so much better this year and the Yankees are really sucking, what an odd change of events
Yeah, because being 2nd in the AL East = "really sucking." :rolleyes:

Hey, I like the Mets too, but I still love the Yanks. :p

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 06/25/06 08:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by SC:

It felt like it was over 100°.... the humidity was stifling. Lori asked why so many people were wearing shirts with the name "Wright" on them. Two home runs and 4 rbi's later she knew. (I told her that all the women who wore that shirt were doing so because they were looking for Mr. Right).

BTW, catch any foul balls at Shea? :p

Don Cardi

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 06/25/06 09:35 AM

Quote:
BTW, catch any foul balls at Shea?
No, but when I returned to work Friday night five different people asked to see my hand (looking for stitches).

Looks like I missed a good double-header today in the Fantasy League.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 06/25/06 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SC:

Looks like I missed a good double-header today in the Fantasy League.
According to the forecasts it doesn't look too promising that they'll get two in today anyway.

Don Cardi
Posted By: TonyWillLive

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 06/30/06 03:05 AM

Yea how about those Mets? You guys F^@&ing sucked.

Go Sox 12 in a row, 15 games w/o an error

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 06/30/06 03:19 AM

Subway series, I can't wait.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 06/30/06 03:13 PM

There's along way to go before we get a subway series.

The Mets look like they may be the best team in the NL, but St. Louis still scares me.

And the Yankees, of course, have to worry about even making the the playoffs before they start thinking about the World Series.

Not to say that it can't happen, but to put it in a little bit of perspective......

If you want to bet on the Mets winning the NL championship, my sportsbook will give you 1.75 to 1 odds, which means that they give the Mets about a 36% chance.

If you want to bet on the Yankees winning the AL championship, they will give you 7 to 2 odds, which means that they give the Yanks about a 22% chance.

So they consider the chances of both teams making it to the World Series to be about 1 out of 12, or about 8%.

While I understand that these odds do not reflect the teams actual chances of making it, but rather are determined on a pari-mutual basis, the way that racetracks figure odds (when you figure in whatever percentage the sportsbook is taking out from the pool as their profit, the odds are actually a bit lower; maybe around 12-15% or so, let's say) it's interesting that this is the opinion of the general public - or at least that portion of the general public that wagers on baseball.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 06/30/06 05:54 PM

I just meant the upcoming series...?

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 06/30/06 07:34 PM

Ooooohhhhhhh........

Well, in the immortal words of Emily Litella:

"Never mind"

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 07/12/06 03:53 AM

For all you Mets fans, I heard during the All-Star Game broadcast that David Wright is supposed to appear on Letterman tomorrow night.

Any baseball player is fun to see on a talk show, so I'm looking forward to it.

Also, I'd like to give Wright a thank-you for the homer tonight...if only it was enough. Beltran played great, as well, and it sure was nice to cheer for him again.

I really wanted to see the NL get the win - would've been the first time in ten years! But I love the spirit of the game, regardless. True to its name, it's chock full of all-stars, and that just makes for darn good baseball.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 07/26/06 11:51 PM

It's been a while since we had any Mets talk.....

I while back we (DC, JL, and I) we wer talking about the Mets trading Milledge for Zito, and we all pretty much agreed that since Zito was in his walk year, it wan't a good deal.

Well, I still wouldn't do it, unless I felt that I was forced to.

Like if the Mets lose Pedro or Glavine for the postseason, and Pelfrey and Maine both turn out to be shit.

But if Pedro and Glavine are both OK, and Pelfrey or Maine turn out to be the goods, I wouldn't think I needed Zito.

But I was on this other Sports Forum/BB I belong to, and someone made a point that I think we overlooked:

If the Mets trade for Zito and then lose him as a free agent, they would get back two #1 draft picks as compensation.

That would make a big difference to me in deciding if I would do the deal or not.

If I felt I needed Zito to advance in the postseason, I'd make the trade.

The Mets may not get this close again for a while.

Who knows? Next year Pedro and Glavine and Delgado could prove to be all washed up - at their age, it goes fast sometimes - and the Mets could slip back into mediocrity.

They should go for it when they're sure they have the chance - this year.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 07/31/06 07:25 PM

Sanchez out for the year. Mets trade Nady to Pirates for R.Hernandez and O.Perez. Hmmm.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 07/31/06 08:11 PM

This injury to Sanchez is a huge blow to the Mets. Basically I felt that the Mets were 1 trade away from the world series. Rumor had it that they were very close to aquiring Oswalt. Then the Sanchez news came out and what that did was force Omar to make a trade for that 8th inning reliever. So because of the Sanchez injury the Mets are forced to trade Nady for a reliever to replace Sanchez and now by trading Nady they really cannot package Milledge for a top pitcher in a trade. It looks as though Randolph is going to have to go with Milledge and Chavez in right field now.

It's not so much in losing Sanchez in itself that really hurts the Mets, (of course he was pitching good for them and was a huge addition to this staff) but the domino
effect that it has caused really hurt this teams chance at a truely legitimate shot at aquiring a quality starter to be their number 3 man come playoff time.

Don Cardi

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 07/31/06 08:16 PM

There is a rumor the Mets just traded for Scott Linebrink, but it's unconfirmed.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 07/31/06 08:27 PM

Mets swap O.Perez for Linebrink.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 07/31/06 08:35 PM

Quote:
Mets swap O.Perez for Linebrink.
Good move getting rid of Perez.

Man, I'm really bumbed out over this shit. What the hell are they going to do now rotation wise come playoff time? Glavine scares me as the next best thing next to Pedro.

If the rotation stays like this, the Mets have some very serious issues for the playoffs.

Don Cardi

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 07/31/06 08:37 PM

WFAN is reporting it isn't true. ESPN News says it's done.
Posted By: ronnierocketAGO

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 07/31/06 09:07 PM

I agree, the Mets are in trouble when the playoffs come around.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 07/31/06 09:21 PM

Omar Minaya reports Linebrink is not a Met right now.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 07/31/06 11:56 PM

I can't believe that it takes someone as good as Nady to pick up a guy to pitch the 8th inning.

They have a huge lead and 8 weeks left to develop someone from within for the role, or make a waiver pickup or something in the next four weeks.

The Nady trade seems like a panic move to me in which they gave up too much to fill a need.

I'm not even sure that hernandez can even do the job.

I agree with DC, too.

They desperately need another reliable starter.

Glavine has been terrible his last 8-10 starts.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 08/01/06 12:03 AM

I liked Nady, but he really wasn't that good. He's a below average fielder, and doesn't hit in the clutch. He started out
strong, but that has been the story of his entire career. If the can ever get Perez back to where he was when he first came up, it will be a great trade for Mets. My only question now is, what do they do next year? Floyd is a free agent and it was assumed he wouldn't be re-signed. Do they sign him now, and play Mileage in RF permantly?

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 08/01/06 02:35 AM

I say let's worry about this year first.

To make a decision about Floyd let's see what he does for the rest of this year and into the playoffs, then take it from there.

If the Mets are realy serious about going to the big show, then they MUST somehow bolster up their pitching staff. They may be able to get through the NL playoffs with the staff that they have now because in truth the NL is not that great. But once you get into the WS and possibly have to face teams like Boston, Yankees, Detroit, etc. this current Mets pitching staff, as it is right now, in my opinion is not strong enough to beat one of those AL teams.
Offensively I will put the Mets up against ANY team in baseball. But we all know that it's good pitching that wins in a playoff series.

One month ago the big ? on this staff was a number 3 starter for the playoffs. Well in truth, now it looks as though their big problem is both a number 2 and a number 3 starter for the playoffs.

Again, I just don't have enough confidence in Glavine to be the man in a game 2.

Don Cardi
Posted By: Tony Mosrite

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 08/01/06 03:04 AM

if the Mets really pull off the Linebrink trade, then it's a great deal. he had a couple of terrible outings last week but he'll be a remarkable addition to the bullpen anyway. and bullpen is the most important thing for a baseball team, regular season wise. Linebrink is still better than Sanchez, and when Sanchez comeback, the Mets will have one of the best bullpens in the MLB.

now, Hernandez is as much of a doubt as all the other relievers they already had. Oliver Perez was a smart addition because the Mets need any help they can get at SP.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 08/02/06 08:54 PM

Quote:
One month ago the big ? on this staff was a number 3 starter for the playoffs. Well in truth, now it looks as though their big problem is both a number 2 and a number 3
Coming off Pedro's stint on the DL, I wouldn't be 100% confident that I'll have a #1 starter also.
Quote:
If they can ever get Perez back to where he was when he first came up, it will be a great trade for Mets.
Yeah, but that's not why they made the trade. If Perez can regain his form, that'll strictly be a bonus (Maybe Rick Peterson is gonna do one of his "10-minute jobs" on perez.)

If they don't win this year because Hernanadez doesn't do the job, this will be horrible deal no matter what Perez and Nady do for the rest of their careers.

And if Hernandez does do the job and the Mets win and he is an integral part of the team, this deal will be considered successful even if Nady becomes a star.

I just don't think the role should be that difficult to fill with some of the relatively free talent out there.

Or, Heilman can't pitch the 8th and some combo of Feliciano, Bell, and Bradford the 7th?
Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Mosrite:
Hernandez is as much of a doubt as all the other relievers they already had.
That's exactly what I mean.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 08/04/06 01:39 PM

Hernandez pitched the 7th yesterday, and heilman got racked up in the 8th.

So they gave up Nady for a guy to pitch the 7th inning?

Sorry, but I can't see it.

Like TM and I both said....Is Hernandez any better than what they had already or what was available for a lot less that they had to trade Nady?

Remember, Hernandez was here last year, and the Mets presumably opted not to re-sign him, figuring that what they had - Bell, Feliciano, Bradford, etc. - was better.

Don't misunderstand me, here...I'm not suggesting that Nady is the second coming of Babe Ruth or anything, but he seems a lot more valuable to me than a guy like Hernandez, considering the role that they seem to plan to use him in.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 08/04/06 02:30 PM

The Mets kinda tried to re-sign him. They only offered him a one year deal, and the Pirates offered him more money and 2 years. When the Pirates are offering you more money, then I guess you're right. They didn't really want him.

Unless Hernandez pitches like shit the next couple of weeks, he will be the setup man come September. Heilman just plain sucks.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 08/05/06 05:41 PM

Meanwhile, I think that starting pitching is the bigger issue right now.

There's Pedro, and then there's um, then there's, uh, er....

Who's after Pedro? (Assuming he's healthy in the first place.)

Glavine looks like he's shot and Trachsel's a "never was", AFAIC.

So that leaves who? Hernandez? Maine? Pelfrey?

I don't see how the Mets can win a playoff series unless they score about 7 runs a game.

Not that they can't, but if that's the game plan I don't like it.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 08/05/06 05:59 PM

Its probably going to be a quick hook on whomever starts, and then rely on the bullpen to keep the game close.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 08/05/06 06:09 PM

There's a plan..... :rolleyes:

Darren Oliver to the rescue!

Based on Glavine's recent performance, has there ever been a team with starting pitching as weak as this who did anything in the playoffs, much less even made the playoffs?

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 08/05/06 06:10 PM

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 08/05/06 07:41 PM

Quote:

Glavine looks like he's shot

It's funny that we can even discuss this when he's now 12-4, and tied for league lead in wins.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 08/05/06 07:49 PM

His run support has been great, but his personal stats have been shit.

I'll look up some numbers....

Glavine's high point was on May 4th, when the Mets were 5-2 in games that he started, and he had a 1.94 E.R.A. in 46 IPs.

Glavine was pitching great, and the Mets weren't scoring all that many runs behind him - only 2.86 per game.

But since May 4th, Glavine has started 17 times, with an E.R.A. of 4.89, and if you graphed his performance this season, he's basically been getting worse as the season has prgressed - it's not like he had one bad stretch which caused his numbers to baloon.

In any case, in those 17 starts the Mets are 14-3 behind him, mostly because they've scored 109 runs, or 6.4 per game.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 08/05/06 11:28 PM

Quote:
(...) he's basically been getting worse as the season has prgressed - it's not like he had one bad stretch which caused his numbers to baloon. (...)
exactly. in fact, he had one great stretch which caused his numbers to inflate.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 08/07/06 05:30 AM

Holy Shit. This guy Maine is turning into the ace of the staff.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 08/10/06 05:42 PM

Where the hell did Michael Tucker and Ricky Ledee come from?

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 08/11/06 01:58 PM

Quote:
Where the hell did Michael Tucker and Ricky Ledee come from?
The Mets purchased the contract of Michael Tucker from the international league. I believe that Ledee came from the Dodgers through waivers.

Don Cardi

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 08/11/06 02:28 PM

I thought I was looking at the wrong box score yesterday.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 08/15/06 09:01 AM

From the Salary Cap Game thread, but this really belongs here as well....

Quote:
Fuck Zito. He's nothing more than a "good" pitcher. The Mets better not open their vault for this guy. Thank God they didn't give up their top prospects to get him for the strecth run. I have more faith in Maine than him. They can offer him a modest contract in the off-season, but it better not be huge $$$.
Personally, I don't care how much money they offer Zito or spend on him as a free agent; after all, the Mets are not my father's business, and I'm not all that concerned with their profitability.

In terms of giving up prospects, it gets a little bit trickier.

The Mets are headed for the playoffs -- do they have even one reliable starter at this point?

All the talk about Lastings Milledge -- Have any of us really seen enough of the guy or are any of us really astute enough to judge whether or not he's a "can't miss" player?

When we start talking about guys like him, I'm always reminded of Alex Ochoa and, more recently, Alex Escobar - two more guys who "couldn't miss" being stars. :rolleyes:

The Mets have a chance to win it all this season.

Next year, Pedro, Glavine and Delgado will all be a year older, so who knows?

Zito isn't Roger Clemens or Johann Santana or Roy Halladay or Chris Carpenter or any of the "elite" starting pitchers in baseball, but the Mets have some big question marks with their pitching, Zito is certainly in the Top 20 or 25, and he could be what the Mets need to win a World Series (or at least an NL Pennant) this year.

On that basis, if I were a Mets fan, I'd trade for a guy like him if I could, and if I had to give up a top prospect I would, even if Zito were only a "rent-a-player" for the rest of this year.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 10/04/06 11:40 PM

Yeeeeeeeeeeesssssss!!!!!!!!!!!

John Maine!

Carlos Delgado!

Let's go Mets!

Don Cardi

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 10/05/06 04:54 AM

The Dodgers really ran themselves into a loss in the 2nd inning.
Posted By: klydon1

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 10/05/06 03:45 PM

JD Drew can't fail enough for me.

I remember how he sat out and whined for a year instead of signing with the Phillies for what would have been a record breaking amount of money paid to a rookie.

Since then, he's bounced among 3 teams and hasn't exactly lit the league on fire. Watching that pompous ass run himself into an out seconds after the previous runner was tagged out by a mile made my day.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 10/05/06 04:22 PM

yeah that double play at home was nice to watch. Lo Duca will be remembered for a long time, but it was basically a nut-head decision from J.D. Drew (or from the 3rd base coach)

what I can not understand is why Brad Penny was called to pitch in the 7th inning. it's funny to see that, year in and year out, managers try to do a surprising move in the post season, but it just keeps NOT working out. at all.

anyway, the Mets don't have the pitching to go anywhere in this postseason.
Posted By: goombah

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 10/05/06 04:32 PM

Quote:
The Dodgers really ran themselves into a loss in the 2nd inning.
What were the Dodgers doing? JD Drew ran right through the 3rd base coach's stop sign and Kent totally misjudged the hit thinking he would have to tag up at 2nd. Both were such fundamental errors that it make one scratch his/her head.

I have never seen such a bizarre play and dumb mistake.
Posted By: Letizia B.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 10/08/06 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by goombah:
I have never seen such a bizarre play and dumb mistake.
The Dodgers have been on crack or something this postseason, I'm telling you. One bizarre play and dumb mistake after another. Coaching included. :rolleyes:

Congrats, JL and other Mets fans. I'm being a good sport because I know they deserved this series. This is a rare occasion for me.
Posted By: Don Smitty

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 10/08/06 05:58 PM

Does anyone here really think that the Mets would even be in the Playoffs if they were in the American Leauge?

DS

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 10/08/06 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Smitty:
Does anyone here really think that the Mets would even be in the Playoffs if they were in the American Leauge?

DS
get over it.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 10/08/06 10:20 PM

Quote:

DS
You mean the fake baseball league? The league where pitchers don't hit and where managers don't have to manage because all they have to do is insert 9 HITTERS in the lineup and never have to worry about deciding if they should keep a pitcher in, who is pitching a good game, or pinch hit for him with runners in scoring position? You talking about the league with that kind of baseball?

We'll never know now will we, because the Mets play in the league that requires managerial skills and run production using small ball at times. You know, the kind of small ball that the team in the American league who ( now let me quote someone named DS who said to me in work last week) "Won't lose a game throughout the playoffs and world series." The kind of run producing strategy that the team manager from the American league, the one who manages "Murderer's Row with Cano" didn't use but instead continually relied on the long ball.

Hey Smitty, you want to know another reason why the Yankees could not win? Who batted in every game after Arod was up?

THE DETROIT TIGERS, that's who!
:p

Seriously though Smitty, do you remember my prediction last week when we spoke about the Yankees? About how if they lost the series how Torre would either be fired or forced to resign? And how I said that if that happened he would be replaced with Sweet Lou Pinella because Pinella was the only manager that Arod produced his best years of baseball playing for? Did I call this one or what?

American League Baseball. DH rule where a player who plays in the field does not ahve to come up to bat. Similar to little league rules. :p

Come root for a team in a league, you know the same league that the New York Mets, who are advancing to the next round, play in and see how real baseball is played and managed where all nine players who play the field get up at bat too.

Daaaaa Yankees Looooooose!!!!

Don Cardi

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 10/11/06 02:13 AM

Does anyone know or has anyone heard what two players the Mets called up and put on their roster for this round of the playoffs?

I'm figuring that they'll bring up Milledge or Ledee, and Pelfry.

Don Cardi

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 10/11/06 03:03 PM

Quote:
Does anyone know or has anyone heard what two players the Mets called up and put on their roster for this round of the playoffs?

I'm figuring that they'll bring up Milledge or Ledee, and Pelfry.

Don Cardi
None of those players appear on their 25 man roster. Cliff Floyd was added, and the only name, with which I wasn't familiar, was Anderson Hernandez, who, I guess, is a utility infielder. They're carrying 11 pitchers.

I got my info from mlb.com. I would have provided the entire roster, but my limited computer skills prevent me.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 10/12/06 10:05 AM

Thank you Klydon.

Anderson Hernandez was up with them in the begining of the season. He played 2nd base. Randolph probably brought him up for late inning defensive purposes as he had a stellar glove in the field when he was up with the Mets early in the season. Here is the Roster :

Active Roster

Pitchers
53 Chad Bradford R/R
25 Pedro Feliciano L/L
47 Tom Glavine L/L
48 Aaron Heilman R/R
39 Roberto Hernandez R/R
33 John Maine R/R
59 Guillermo Mota R/R
27 Darren Oliver R/L
46 Oliver Perez L/L
29 Steve Trachsel R/R
13 Billy Wagner L/L

Catchers
11 Ramon Castro R/R
16 Paul Lo Duca R/R

Infielders
21 Carlos Delgado L/R
23 Julio Franco R/R
1 Anderson Hernandez S/R
7 Jose Reyes S/R
18 Jose Valentin S/R
4 Chris Woodward R/R
5 David Wright R/R

Outfielders
15 Carlos Beltran S/R
10 Endy Chavez L/L
30 Cliff Floyd L/R
20 Shawn Green L/L
22 Michael Tucker L/R

Don Cardi

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 10/13/06 03:17 PM

Congrats to the Mets on there game 1 victory over the Cards last night.

DS

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 10/13/06 03:35 PM

Quote:
Congrats to the Mets on there game 1 victory over the Cards last night.

DS
All of a sudden you're congratulating the Mets?

Well I must say, that's pretty decent of you.

And I would like to congratulate The Boss, Arod and Mussina on their playing a fantastic round of golf in Tampa yesterday.

Don Cardi
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 10/13/06 09:09 PM

Thanks, DC. But was ARod actually able to HIT the ball with his club??

Hey, the Mets had a great year, and I'm glad for them. I hope they keep it going.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 10/19/06 12:41 AM

OK, Mets fans, your team is currently playing Game 6 of the NLCS, and none of you have posted in a week!! Are you that used to losing??? :p Seriously, nice to see them on the board, and the first inning isn't even over yet.
Posted By: AppleOnYa

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 10/19/06 12:49 AM

Actually, now that the Yankees are out of the way for the season, I've been rooting for the Mets.

It isn't quite the same but we've still got a NY team in the running, and mostly I think Willie Randolph's done a fabulous job taking them this far into 2006.

Apple

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 10/19/06 12:56 AM

Absolutely agree, Apple. I definitely want to see them go all the way.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 10/19/06 05:16 AM

I'll be there for Game 7.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 10/19/06 01:45 PM

What was with all the sliders from Billy Wagner? He's either lost his confidence or his fastball.
Posted By: Don Sicilia

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 10/19/06 01:54 PM

Quote:
Awesome, JL.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 10/19/06 01:59 PM

Quote:
I'm so jealous. Have a great time.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 10/19/06 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by klydon1:
What was with all the sliders from Billy Wagner? He's either lost his confidence or his fastball.
He's been doing that a lot this year. Especially early in season. Why? I don't know.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 10/19/06 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Beth E:
[quote]Originally posted by Just Lou:
[b] I'll be there for Game 7.
I'm so jealous. Have a great time. [/b][/quote]Thanks. I got lucky. My friend got picked in the ticket lottery to purchase 4 tickets to any one game. He gave it to me because he couldn't make any of the games. I took a chance and picked Game 7.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 10/19/06 02:31 PM

Good for you Lou. I am glad to know that a real Met's fan will be there rooting for our team tonight.

Have an extra ticket for me?

Don Cardi

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 10/19/06 02:42 PM

No, sorry. I had to give up two tickets to another friend of mine. We had a deal that if either of us got tickets, we'd split them.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 10/19/06 03:32 PM

Quote:
No, sorry. I had to give up two tickets to another friend of mine. We had a deal that if either of us got tickets, we'd split them.
JUST LOU : (seated in front of the Don Cardi's desk) I believe in Baseball. Baseball has made me happy. And I rooted for the Mets in the New York fashion. I gave them my heart, but -- I hoped that they would never dishonor their fans. They found a manager; not an Italian. They went to the spring training with him; they practiced till late. I
didn't protest. Two months ago, the Mets decided to start a drive, running a lottery for playoff tickets. They made
me enter my name. Two friends entered their names. They offered a deal. At first I resisted. But then I kept my honor and agreed to their deal for game 7. And then those two friends took advantage of me. My friends took all of the tickets. It hurt me. They treated my like an animal. I couldn't even weep because of the pain inside. I stood in the stadium parking lot like a fool. like a fool. And those two bastard, they smiled at me. Then I said to my wife, "The next time we have tickets, we must offer them to Don Cardi."

DON CARDI :Just Lou... Just Lou... What have I ever done to make you treat me so disrespectfully? Had you come to me in friendship, offered me this kind of a deal, then this scum that ruined game 7 for you would be in their living rooms watching the game this very day. And that by chance if an honest man such as yourself should get 4 tickets, then two of them would become my tickets. And then the Cardinals would fear us. But that aside, let me say, from the bottom of my heart ....

LET'S GO METS!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Enjoy the game Lou!

Don Cardi

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 10/19/06 03:48 PM

Damn, that is funny.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 10/20/06 02:05 AM

ENDY!!!!!!!!!

Unbelievable.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 10/20/06 03:48 AM

Well....Cards win.

Cards/Tigers...thoughts?
Posted By: Luca Brasi

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 10/20/06 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ronnierocketAGO:

Cards/Tigers...thoughts?
Yes indeed....GO TIGERS!!!!
Posted By: Don Andrew

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 10/20/06 03:52 AM

Tigers in 6.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 10/20/06 03:58 AM

My apologies to the Mets fans here - you've got a great set of guys, and I was really pulling for them. They had a wonderful season, and they fought to the very end...they've got my respect for that.

I guess this will make the WS easier for me - I'm definitely rooting for Detroit, now.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 10/20/06 06:49 AM

Posted By: J Geoff

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 10/20/06 07:33 AM

Gotta give it up for Willie & The Mutts! They lasted longer than the Yanks, they fought hard... they had a chance in the bottom of the 9th in Game 7...! Ya gotta be proud (if you're a Mutts fan)... and this coming from a Yankees fan.

I'd've rooted for them in the WS, but I gotta go AL (Tigers) now... :p

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 10/20/06 07:39 AM

I still can't believe Beltran went down on 3 pitches with the bat on his shoulders.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 10/20/06 07:56 AM

Quote:
I still can't believe Beltran went down on 3 pitches with the bat on his shoulders.
Bases loaded, 2 runs behind..... you GOTTA go up to the plate swinging.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 10/20/06 08:02 AM

No one wants to swing thru Strike 3 -- cuz then it's "your" fault, not the ump's... (Read: Egos)

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 10/20/06 08:07 AM

...but FWIW, Wainright (who was on my fantasy team for a while) showed the most incredible curve ball I've seen in a long while! He picked a good time to look good.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 10/20/06 10:38 AM

Beltran, you broke my heart, you broke my heart.

You just can't keep leaving that many runners on base without scoring, and expect to win the game.

Who would have thought that the starting pitching, the supposed achilles heal of the Mets, would have come through like they did, and the part of the Mets that's been the backbone of this pitching staff, the bullpen, would be the ones to blow the game?

But as I said, you also cannot leave that many runners stranded throughout a game and expect to win.

Don Cardi

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 10/20/06 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by J Geoff:
[b]No one wants to swing thru Strike 3 -- cuz then it's "your" fault, not the ump's... (Read: Egos) [/b]
Bull doody!! I'd rather see someone take three good swings than just stand there with a bat glued to his shoulder.

Sure, Wainwright had good stuff last night.... you just shorten up your swing and make contact with the ball. Put the ball in play. PUT THE BALL IN PLAY. PUT THE BALL IN PLAY.

(The Mets would've not made it as far as they did without Beltran but he failed when it most counted. Its not his fault they lost, though).
Posted By: fathersson

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 10/20/06 12:40 PM

What about Floyd? Stiff as a board.

But Beltran,..... looked like a rookie standing there.

If that would have been A-rod in the same place in game seven, bottom of the ninth with the bases loaded, two outs, New Yorkers would have rode him out on a rail.

Still a great baseball game, and a great year for the Mets!

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 10/20/06 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fathersson:
Still a great baseball game, and a great year for the Mets!
No argument there. The Mets have nothing of which to be ashamed.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 10/20/06 01:19 PM

Beltran failing to make the play in the playoffs?

I guess the Mets now have their own A-Rod!

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 10/20/06 01:49 PM

Funny that there have been a few posts re: ARod here. I just read an article that compared Wright's dismal playoff record to ARod's, and yet not one bad word about him in print. The article said that if David Wright was wearing pinstripes, he would've been persona non grata in NY.

I was hoping to see the Mets in the World Series. The two NY teams finish with the best records in their leagues, and don't make it to the series. What were the chances??

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 10/20/06 01:56 PM

Give it a few shifts. They only finished late last night. It may take a few days for the writers to start.

Then again the attention is turn directly to the World Series Now.

Could things have been better if Pedro was healthy and was in the rotation?

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 10/20/06 01:58 PM

Oh, and New Yorkers Expect more from the Yankee players then they do the Mets.

GOT RINGS?

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 10/20/06 02:05 PM

I think the emphasis on ARod's post-season inadequacies stem from the facts that (1) they have occurred over the past 3 seasons, and (2) he is the $25 million man and is supposed to be the best player in baseball.

Beltran's post-season performance over his two appearances is without equal. (And I don't particularly care for the guy). While his last at bat was a dud when he was really needed, he's earned a pass. hey, give credit to Wainwright, who came up big in that situation.

Wright experienced his first post season. If the Mets make the post season next year and he lays a big egg, then a little criticism may be appropriate.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 10/20/06 02:06 PM

If Pedro was in the rotation, with championship experience on his side, yes the Mets would have fared better.

win NLCS though? Ehh....

Anyway, I say Tigers in 6 games as well.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 10/20/06 02:06 PM

It truly is a Subway series now.

Now the Yankees and Mets players can see each other in the offseason when they're riding the rails watching other teams compete in the World Series. :p

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 10/20/06 02:27 PM

You know, I watched as the game when to the bottom on the ninth. Got pumped up when the Mets got men on the bases. LOADED! and even more excited when I saw that Beltran would get a chance to bat. Thinking this could be it. A great ending to a great baseball game.

But to watch him stand there and do nothing was the worst let down of the year.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 10/20/06 03:07 PM

To me the Mets lost that game in the bottom of the 6th inning.

After Chavez robs the Cards of a two run homer and then doubles Edmunds off for the double play, the momentum shifted big time in the Mets favor. Now you MUST come up to bat after a huge play like that and score some runs. The Mets get loaded bases, and in doing so the Cards have a horrible throwing error. You MUST get a run or two across the plate at that point. My feeling is that if you do get a run or two across the plate after robbing the Cards of a two run homer, and their comitting a throwing error, you bury the Cards mentally. You have them talking to themselves. But unfortunately the Mets could NOT get a run across the plate and in my opinion they gave the momentum right back to the Cards after failing to score.

Congrats to all the Cardinal fans out there.

Don Cardi

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 10/20/06 09:47 PM

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 10/21/06 01:37 AM

Talk about "Nose bleed" seats. No wonder they had to hold a lottery.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 10/21/06 02:49 AM

Quote:
You just can't keep leaving that many runners on base without scoring, and expect to win the game.
DC, I don't know how many times Astros fans have had this happen...I think one of our biggest problems is the runners LOB, so I feel your pain.

That's a beautiful photo, Lou - seems like Minute Maid Park here in Houston, where nearly every seat provides a fantastic view. Regardless of the outcome, it must've been magical being there.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 10/21/06 03:29 AM

What went on after the Cards won the game? I shut my TV when the game was over. Earlier this evening I was driving and listening to WFAN and they said something about the Card players tormenting the Mets fans at Shea? I caught the very ending of the WFAN report but from what I did hear, the Cardinal players celebrated on the field by tormenting the Mets fans chanting "Jo-se, Jose Jose Jo-se Jose, Jo-se, Jo-se." WFAN played a tape of this incident. Does anyone here have the whole scoop?

Don Cardi

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 10/21/06 03:34 AM

I don't know. I was out of the there right after the last pitch.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 10/22/06 08:11 PM

Good Luck Next year
Posted By: Mr.MojoRisin

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 10/22/06 09:15 PM

Ok, now that it's down to the Cards and the Tigers whose placing their bets?

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 10/23/06 12:59 AM

Originally Posted By: fathersson
Talk about "Nose bleed" seats. No wonder they had to hold a lottery.

If you've ever been to Shea, those seats are better than the 'reserved seats' in the Loge and Mezzanine. Unless you're in the 'box seats' or the first couple of rows of reserved, you can't see fly balls due to the over-hang.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 10/23/06 01:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Don Smitty
Good Luck Next year

Good luck wishes from the guy who roots for....what were you calling them again?.....Oh yes....

Muderer's Row and Cano!

This from a guy who when Damon hit the 3 run homer stated "The Yankees will NOT lose another game for the rest of the post season!" And then came to work after the Yankees were knocked OUT looking like this :

Don Cardi

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 02/27/07 06:15 PM

It's almost that time of year again. Let's go Mets!

I was wondering what other Mets fans here think about this upcoming season. Strengths? Weaknesses?

Don Cardi
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 02/27/07 06:19 PM

Well DC, the obvious strengths are the only American League caliber lineup in the National League, and a very deep bullpen.

The obvious weakness is the starting pitching. They're closer to AARP than to their prime.

However, I'm sure that their bats will keep them in the hunt until it's time for "Trader Omar" to work his magic around the trade deadline in July.

LET'S GO METS !!!!

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 02/27/07 06:41 PM

I agree all around PB.

I would feel more comfortable though having a solid hitter batting behind Wright. Alou just don't cut it for me.
They really need him to stay healthy.

Don Cardi

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 02/27/07 06:49 PM

While I'm not a Met fan, they field one of the best every day lineups in baseball. They will score more than their share of runs.

I agree that their big question mark is Pedro and the age of the staff. Glavine should be effective, but Hernandez raises some doubts with me. Wagner is reliable when healthy.

I'd still label them and the Dodgers as the teams to beat in the NL.

Re: How About Those Mets!!!!!!! - 02/27/07 06:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Don Cardi
It's almost that time of year again. Let's go Mets!

I was wondering what other Mets fans here think about this upcoming season. Strengths? Weaknesses?

Strengths: Very potent line-up. Solid defensively. Deep bullpen. Quantity of starting pitchers coming to camp.

Weaknesses: No #1 starter or set pitching rotation. Valentin at 2B fulltime. Aging corner outfielders.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET