Home

Best Rivalry in Sports

Posted By: OleificioAndreassi

Best Rivalry in Sports - 02/05/04 04:59 AM

Theres so many great 1's but which is the best
Steelers-Browns is prolly the best nfl has to offer but its 1 sided since cleveland sucks & they always will. Of course theres teh yankee-bosox rivaly but that 1 makes me sick cause tehy both have all the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ in the league.

To me the greatest rivalry in sports is the 1 we'll have the honor to watch tommorrow: Duke vs. Nawt Cawlina. The players, the coaches, the students, the electricity, Dicky V, Cameron Indoor, all that makes this the best rivalry in sports

Ive been a duke fan ever since Grant hills senior year. Then the Wojo "era" came & I was a fanatic. With much more passion than my love for duke tho is my hatred for carolina. i hated dean smith and the players he recruited. To me Wallace, Stackhouse, McCinnis, jamison, Carter, all a bucha gutless punks. I loved how Wojo dominated Ed Cota every time out......

......any way thats what i think the best rivalry is. Any challengers?
Posted By: plawrence

Re: Best Rivalry in Sports - 02/05/04 09:08 AM

Yankees-Red Sox, easilly.

DB-PL (Fantasy Sports)
Posted By: The Scottish Don

Re: Best Rivalry in Sports - 02/05/04 10:08 AM

It's all relative!

Each local rivalry in each and every sport is more hotly contested in individual towns/cities all over the world.

Some of the South American football rivalries are scary, as are some in the UK and Europe.

Whenever rivalry oversteps the mark into violence/death, as it often does, then it has simply gone off the scale as far as sporting rivalry goes.
Posted By: Don Marco

Re: Best Rivalry in Sports - 02/05/04 01:39 PM

Ohio State - Michigan football I think it was better in the Woody Hayes/Bo Schembechler days, but still great.(I love that commercial that says this wouldn't be disgusting if it weren't for college football).

Bears - Packers They've been rivals as long as there has been an NFL.

Yankees - Red Sox Great rivalry, although calling it one sided would be an understatement.

Re: Best Rivalry in Sports - 02/05/04 02:02 PM

Some others that come to mind, although many of them don't have the importance that they once did:

Yankees-Mets
Celtics-Lakers
Army-Navy
Texas-Oklahoma
Giants-Eagles
Dodgers-Giants
Posted By: Irishman12

Re: Best Rivalry in Sports - 02/05/04 02:32 PM

Yanks vs Sox is the greatest rival in sports! A great case could also be made though for Duke vs North Carolina. Although it's not better than Yanks vs Sox
Posted By: Don Sicilia

Re: Best Rivalry in Sports - 02/05/04 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by plawrence:
DB-PL (Fantasy Sports)
I don't think we're making the annals of the sports world just yet, plaw!

My picks for greatest rivalries...
Yanks - Sox
Bears - Packers
Cubs - Cards
For a short time, Bulls - Knicks
Posted By: joltinjoe05

Re: Best Rivalry in Sports - 02/05/04 03:22 PM

Raiders vs Chiefs vs. Broncos vs. Raiders
Posted By: Don Corpuzzi

Re: Best Rivalry in Sports - 02/05/04 05:03 PM

Army-Navy football.

Re: Best Rivalry in Sports - 02/05/04 07:45 PM

How about USC-UCLA football, Don C.?

Re: Best Rivalry in Sports - 02/05/04 08:19 PM

USC-UCLA is a great college football rivalry, but I think it's not as big as Ohio State-Michigan. The unique thing about USC-UCLA is that it is a rivalry between two schools that are in the same city.

I put Army-Navy because I think that the game transcends sports. When you watch the players singing their respective alma maters after the game, many of them in tears, it's something special. Especially when you realize that all of the seniors have played their last game and the next thing they'll be doing is serving our country.
Posted By: SC

Re: Best Rivalry in Sports - 02/05/04 08:25 PM

Lets not forget some "individual" rivalries -

Willie, Mickey or The Duke.
Jack Nicklaus vs. Arnold Palmer (or now Tiger Woods)
Affirmed vs. Alydar
Wilt Chamberlain vs. Bill Russell

Re: Best Rivalry in Sports - 02/05/04 08:28 PM

Some more great individual rivalries -

Ali-Frazier
Magic-Bird
Evert-Navratilova

Re: Best Rivalry in Sports - 02/05/04 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Corpuzzi:
Some more great individual rivalries -

Ali-Frazier
Magic-Bird
Evert-Navratilova
How about Melo vs Bron? That's gonna be a great rivalry! Who's all watching the Duke/North Carolina game tonight? LET'S GO TARHEELS!
Posted By: Patrick

Re: Best Rivalry in Sports - 02/05/04 09:54 PM

Bears/Packers
Bucs/Packers
Lakers/Sixers
Duke/UNC
Posted By: raggingbull2003

Re: Best Rivalry in Sports - 02/05/04 10:34 PM

hands down army navy football.
Posted By: badguytony

Re: Best Rivalry in Sports - 02/06/04 01:32 AM

Vince Lombardi vs. George Halas
Posted By: MaryCas

Re: Best Rivalry in Sports - 02/06/04 01:24 PM

Great rivalies can be measured in different ways. Longevity is probably one of the top barometers of greatness, but can be tainted by disminished competetiveness.

For Longevity:
Yankees - Boston (also mystique)
Army - Navy (national pride and tradition)
Harvard - Yale (probably the oldest).

For Intensity:
Ali-Frazier
Connors-Borg

Re: Best Rivalry in Sports - 02/06/04 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Irishman12:
[quote]Originally posted by Don Corpuzzi:
[b] Some more great individual rivalries -

Ali-Frazier
Magic-Bird
Evert-Navratilova
How about Melo vs Bron? That's gonna be a great rivalry! Who's all watching the Duke/North Carolina game tonight? LET'S GO TARHEELS! [/b][/quote]Whoa there! I don't think Melo-Bron is even in the neighborhood yet.
Posted By: Anthony Lombardi

Re: Best Rivalry in Sports - 02/06/04 06:40 PM

I've always enjoyed to 49ers-Cowboys/49ers-Packers rivalries, but maybe just 'cause the Niners are my team and I hate the Cowboys/Packers. :p

Re: Best Rivalry in Sports - 02/06/04 08:19 PM

Amen Anthony! Screw the cowboys! As for Don Corpuzzi, Bron-Melo isn't in the same class as those guys....yet
Posted By: Double-J

Re: Best Rivalry in Sports - 02/07/04 11:44 PM

Yankees v. Red Sox is perhaps the best and most notorious because of the logevity of the rivalry.

Locally, its usually the Bills/Dolphins, and Bills/Patriots. Also, Sabres/Canadians, Sabres/Flyers, Sabres/Leafs, Sabres/Stars. Basically, its the Sabres against any team who kicks our ass.
Posted By: DonPalentino

Re: Best Rivalry in Sports - 02/11/04 05:06 PM

Michigan Vs Ohio State
Red Wings Vs Avalanche
Yankees Vs Red Sox
Posted By: Svizzero

Re: Best Rivalry in Sports - 02/17/04 10:57 AM

Most European cities can boast of a professional football club and a competitive rivalry with a neighboring team. However, Glasgow, Scotland is the home of one of the oldest and most heated rivalries in the world. Two of the most prestigious football clubs in Europe, Celtic and Rangers, both call Glasgow their home. The cross-town rivals first met on the pitch on February 28, 1888. At that point, "none of the 2,000 spectators at the game could have guessed that they were present at a historic occasion, for that evening marked the first of what was to become the most famous, long-lasting – and bitter – sporting rivalry in the history of football"

Read more about it
Posted By: SicilianMafia

Re: Best Rivalry in Sports - 02/24/04 11:49 PM

no hockey fans here or what?

Leafs vs Sens,
NY Rangers vs NY Islanders
Leafs vs Montreal

baseball:
Yankees - Red Sox
Posted By: FAC3FU11

Re: Best Rivalry in Sports - 02/25/04 02:26 AM

Team Dynasty Vs. Naughty Dogs
Posted By: Sermanni

Re: Best Rivalry in Sports - 03/18/04 05:11 PM

Yeah, Celtic and Rangers has got to be up there. The 1980 Scottish Cup final was unbelievable
Posted By: Raulito

Re: Best Rivalry in Sports - 03/20/04 02:13 AM

Duke and Maryland
GO TERAPINS!

Re: Best Rivalry in Sports - 03/22/04 10:48 AM

Just a shame that in 2004, the Celtic/Rangers rivalry is based around 17th century Irish history and sod all to do with the great game of football.

Still, each side continues to blame the other, so Scotland has it's own mini Israel on its hand. Very grown up.

Re: Best Rivalry in Sports - 03/22/04 12:30 PM

You are correct, Scottish Don, it is infantile and stupid, but it doesnt' take away from the fact that it is a great derby- and that you are tarring a lot of people with the same brush. The sectarian element still exists (obviously), but for the vast majority of people in life it is merely a ticket to wind up workmates etc

Its a shame people who don't even know what they are talking about to begin with dominate its discourse
Posted By: Don Jasani

Re: Best Rivalry in Sports - 03/22/04 06:42 PM

IMO:
Baseball: Yankees & Red Sox, Blue Jays & Expos
Hockey: Maple Leafs & Canadiens, Oilers & Flames
Basketball: Lakers & Celtics, Raptors & any team
Football: 49ers & Raiders, Packers & Bears
Soccer: Arsenal & Man U., A.C. Milan & Inter, Real Madrid & Barcelona, Galatasaray & Besiktas.

Re: Best Rivalry in Sports - 03/24/04 08:18 AM

Oh I know what I'm talking about.

Having the pleasure of both Celtic and Rangers fans coming into town two or three times a season each shows exactly how big a percentage are happy to keep the nonsense level high.

Not everyone, nobody ever said it was, but certainly not the minority that some like to claim.

Re: Best Rivalry in Sports - 03/24/04 01:32 PM

I wasn't saying YOU don't know what you are talking about- I was talking about the fans who shout about Ireland and stuff. Most of them have no clue about the history of it all- these fans dominate the games discourse, when they are basically talking shite. And fans that travel away from home are most certainly not representative of the majority of fans. They are more extreme, and that is why you will hear more of their sectarian bile
Posted By: kasanova

Re: Best Rivalry in Sports - 03/25/04 08:53 PM

India VS Pakistan

Cricket

Re: Best Rivalry in Sports - 03/30/04 03:07 AM

World Cup (soccer) Rivalries:
U.S.A. vs. Mex.
U.S.A. vs. Iran, Saudi Arabia, pretty much any country
England vs. Ireland, Germany, Argentina
Japan vs. South Korea
Holland vs. Belgium
Brazil vs. Argentina, France, Italy
Turkey vs. Greece
Serbia & Montenegro vs. Croatia
Saudi Arabia vs. Iran
Denmark vs. Sweden

Re: Best Rivalry in Sports - 03/31/04 04:18 PM

You missed out the oldest one of them all:

Scotland v England.

Does not happen often enough unfortunately, though there is always talk of a British championship being brought back.

Re: Best Rivalry in Sports - 04/03/04 11:14 PM

A British Championship is actually a very good idea! England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland in one tournament would be something to watch.
Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra

Re: Best Rivalry in Sports - 04/04/04 01:27 AM

My favourite sports rivalry? Stephen Hendry vs Ronnie O'Sullivan on the green baize of snooker.

Mick
Posted By: Bella Mafia UK

Re: Best Rivalry in Sports - 04/05/04 01:43 PM

Arsenal v Spurs - soccer. The whole of North London goes mental.

Navratalova v Evert; Navratalova v Graf - tennis.

Nigel Benn v Chris Eubank - boxing.

Re: Best Rivalry in Sports - 04/05/04 07:51 PM

Spurs and The Gooners is nothing compared to The Mackems and The Toon (Sunderland and Newcastle, saving the best team til second), BMUK!

Eubank was a fantastic boxer. Nobody liked him back in the day, but he's some sort of hero these days. I love watching his fights on Boxing Classics every Saturday night/Sunday morning on Five.

Mick

Re: Best Rivalry in Sports - 04/06/04 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Capo de La Cosa Nostra:
Spurs and The Gooners is nothing compared to The Mackems and The Toon (Sunderland and Newcastle, saving the best team til second), BMUK!

Eubank was a fantastic boxer. Nobody liked him back in the day, but he's some sort of hero these days. I love watching his fights on Boxing Classics every Saturday night/Sunday morning on Five.

Mick
Capo, did you ever see that programme on Five where they got Benn and Eubank to become Roman Gladiators and compete in a Roman arena. That was TV gold......amazing!!!!

Re: Best Rivalry in Sports - 04/10/04 10:49 PM

Bella, I missed it, and even missed the repeat not too long ago. It was good though, I assume?

Mick

Re: Best Rivalry in Sports - 04/13/04 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Capo de La Cosa Nostra:
Bella, I missed it, and even missed the repeat not too long ago. It was good though, I assume?

Mick
Brilliant
Posted By: goombah

Re: Best Rivalry in Sports - 04/14/04 09:23 PM

College: Ohio State-Michigan
Pro Football: Browns-Steelers
Pro Basketball: Lakers-Celtics
Pro Baseball: St. Louis-Chicago Cubs
Posted By: Vito The Godfather

Re: Best Rivalry in Sports - 04/19/04 09:22 AM

Argentina VS Brazil

Re: Best Rivalry in Sports - 04/20/04 09:21 PM

International hockey rivalries:
Canada vs. anybody especially U.S.A., Russia, Czech Rep.
U.S.A vs. Russia
Sweden vs. Norway, Finland
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET