Home

The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread

Posted By: Double-J

The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread - 03/26/06 06:34 PM

Since we've got about 5 threads, I wonder if Geoff would mind stickying this one, and possibly merging it with the others? We can post news and updates regarding Sony's new console here.

In awesome news, it has been confirmed that ALL PS3's will ship with the 60 GB hard drive, which Ken Kutaragi said would be vital and required to playing games.

Quote:
20-3-2006

Confirmed: HDD to ship with every PS3

Sony has confirmed to a number of gaming websites that the 60GB hard drive will ship with every PlayStation 3.

After Wednesday's conference, where Ken Kutaragi confirmed a worldwide PS3 launch in November, there was some ambiguity over whether the hard drive would be included as standard.

Kutaragi did say that the hard drive would be required, since Sony has told developers to assume the hard drive is present in every PS3.

But he also said that whether the hard drive would be included or not would depend on the market environment. Now, however, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe has ensured gamers that the hard drive will definitely be included.

This is of course relieving news. Not only would it be frustrating to purchase a required hard drive separately, it could also alienate a lot of consumers.

As reported last week, the PlayStation 3 has been delayed until November because of Blu-ray copyright protection issues. Sony's next generation console will now launch in Japan/Asia, USA/Canada and Europe simultaneously.

By Bhavin Shah
Quote:

15-3-2006

Sony: Worldwide launch, 6 million units, hard drive and more...

Ken Kutaragi has officially confirmed that the PlayStation 3 will have a worldwide launch in November.

Sony will unleash one million units per month with a total of six million units by the end of the fiscal year (March 2007).

They have also announced that the PS3's online service will feature community tools including lobby matching and voice chat. Software can be purchased as well, and booted via the hard drive.

All PS3 games will be on the Blu-ray format, in an attempt to reduce piracy.

Kutaragi confirmed that a 60GB hard drive, which will support Linux, will ship with the system out of the box.

The PS3 will be 100% backwards compatible with PS1 and PS2 games. Furthermore, it will upscale old games into high defintion.

The final PS3 dev kits will ship in June, with 15 different companies making tools and middleware for the SDK.

So finally we have been given a fantastic amount of information, hopefully silencing some concerns brought about by analysts. It is true that the PS3 has been delayed, but thankfully '2007' is not a part of Sony's plans.

By Bhavin Shah
Please feel free to keep this thread bumped by posting relevant news, questions, and updates!
Posted By: Pietro Morello

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread - 03/26/06 07:03 PM

Nice topic mate, Cant wait till its released, Jus thinking what colour to get judging by the pictures.

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread - 03/26/06 07:08 PM

From what I hear, it looks like they are only going to launch it in silver...I was hoping for the black one. But I'll take any color as long as it works, eh?

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread - 03/26/06 07:40 PM

Yeah, The silver should be good anyways

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread - 03/26/06 07:52 PM

I'm more concerned about the controller...especially since Sony is involved in a lawsuit which may prevent them from having vibration in their controllers anymore...what do you think of the "wing" design?

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread - 03/26/06 07:53 PM

My oppinion of that controller...Crap.

If you could use the ps2 controller that would be great. What you think bout the ps3 controller
Posted By: XDCX

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread - 03/27/06 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Double-J:
I'm more concerned about the controller...especially since Sony is involved in a lawsuit which may prevent them from having vibration in their controllers anymore...what do you think of the "wing" design?
The lawsuit won't prevent Sony from having the vibration in their controllers, per se. They're basically being sued because some company claims that Sony stole their technology. Basically, Sony will have to come up with their own vibration technology.

As for the new "bat-a-rang" controller, I don't like it so much. The Dual Shock 2 is hands down the greatest gaming controller, IMO. I think they shoulda stuck with that design, with maybe a few minor adjustments.

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread - 03/28/06 03:45 PM

Sony May Be Redesigning PlayStation 3 Controller

From GamePro.com

Top Sony executive Phil Harrison today suggested that Sony might be revising its PlayStation 3 controller design.

At an exclusive Q&A session at the Game Developers' Conference today, Phil Harrison was asked whether the recent lawsuit over Sony's DualShock controller -- which Sony lost -- would have any effect on the PS3 controller design.

Phil Harrison replied that it wouldn't, but explained in a follow-up question that "the [PlayStation 3] controller will be revealed at E3."

During the keynote earlier in the day, a slide briefly showed a timeline for various PS3 developer kit milestones; one of these dates was listed for April, and read "prototype PS3 controller."

The subject of the PS3 controller has been a touchy subject with Sony as of late. Aside from its first appearance at E3 2005 almost one year ago, that boomerang-shaped controller has not reappeared. Given wide outcry among gamers toward that design, speculation has ensued that Sony was preparing to redesign that controller to appease outraged fans. Sony has neither confirmed nor denied that speculation, but we'll keep you posted.

-------------------------------------

Well here's hoping!
Posted By: Don Andrew

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread - 03/28/06 04:05 PM

I dunno. I'm thinking that since I couldn't get my hands on the 360 I should just wait and preorder the PS3.

What do you guys think? I've always been an XBOX guy, but I'm hearing good things about the PS3.

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread - 03/28/06 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Andrew:
I dunno. I'm thinking that since I couldn't get my hands on the 360 I should just wait and preorder the PS3.

What do you guys think? I've always been an XBOX guy, but I'm hearing good things about the PS3.
Use the logic of X-Box fanboys in this case, DA.

1.) PS3 comes out later. It will have superior graphics.
2.) Its storage medium will be 5x greater than that of the X-Box 360.
3.) It is more powerful.
4.) Unlike the X-Box 360, the PS3 will be fully backwards compatible with the entire library of PS2 and PS1 games. The 360 only plays games that Microsoft has configured to be backwards compatible.
5.) Sony is coming out with its own version of online gaming ala X-Box live.
6.) Better exclusives (i.e. SOCOM, Gran Turismo) versus HALO. :p
Posted By: raggingbull2003

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread - 03/28/06 07:16 PM

Is there any word on the new GTA for PS3?

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread - 03/28/06 08:21 PM

There was a rumor floating about that it might be a launch game, but I'm not too sure.

Rockstar "Supports" PS3; No GTA Title Announced

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread - 04/27/06 01:35 PM

Quote:

Juicy Playstation 3 Rumors
Posted by sjohnson - Wednesday, April 26, 2006 2:51 PM

Until E3, you'll all have to content yourself with rumors when it comes to the PlayStation 3, but these are some gooood rumors. PSM, "The Unofficial Playstation Magazine," is reporting that the PS3 will be released in November, come with a standard 60-gig harddrive, and be all Blu-rayed out. Oh, and the price? Only $399.00, cheap.

The titles on launch are said to be:

* John Woo's Strangehold
* Tekken
* Sonic the Hedgehog
* Resistance: Fall of Man
* Rainbow Six: Vegas
* Lair
* Motorstorm
* Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom

It almost sounds like wishful thinking... Hopefully, all will be revealed officially at the E3 and I'll let you know as soon as I hear. I promise.

PSM Magazine
Amazing if they could get that price...I sure do hope so.

Plus, I'm hoping that the list is somewhat incorrect (though I'll buy the Sonic game at launch) because I'm hoping the SCEA's Formula One game will also be a launch title. Either way, without the region restrictions anymore, even if its a PAL release, you could always import.

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread - 05/09/06 03:55 AM

From IGN.com

Quote:
E3 2006: PS3 Date and Price Announced
System to come in two configurations, will cost up to $599.
by Jeff Haynes

May 8, 2006 - In a last minute bombshell, Kaz Hirai announced the specific date and details of the PS3 launch. The PS3 will be arranged in two separate system configurations: a 20 and a 60 gigabyte hard drive system. What's more, Japan will see the PS3 first on November 11th, at a price for 59,800 yen for the 20 gigabyte system setup. The 60 gigabyte system will be open ended and set by retailers. North America, Europe and Australasia will see the system six days later on November 17th. The price? $499 dollars or 499 Euros for the 20 gig version, and $599 dollars or 599 Euros for the 60 gig version. In Canadian dollars, that will come to approximately $549 dollars for the 20 gig and $659 dollars for the 60 gig version.

Hirai also announced that Sony will try to get a grand total of six million units shipped by March 31, 2007, which is Sony's fiscal date: 2 million PS3s will be available during the initial launch window, another 2 million will be shipped before the end of 2006, and finally another 2 before March 31st.

We'll have more details shortly.
Great...just fucking great! I was banking on Sony releasing a core system package like Microsoft did with the 360. Instead...they do one better by offering a 20GB HD bundle or a 60 GB HD bundle...with the problem being that the cheapest bundle is $500!!!

I was only willing to pay $399 for the PS3. Looks like I'll be waiting for the first price drop...

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread - 05/09/06 04:03 AM

From IGN.com

Quote:
E3 2006: Sony reveals the PS3 controller
Say goodbye to the Batarang! Say hello to six degrees of freedom!
by Andrew Alfonso

May 8, 2006 - Today at SCEA's E3 press conference, Ken Kutaragi came on stage near the end of the conference to deliver the final piece of the PS3 puzzle: the controller. Last E3, Sony showed off a completely different controller from the usual Dual Shock 2 rev, and was reminiscent of a Batarang.

However, it seems that Sony has listened to the criticisms of fans and its clients and have reverted back to the traditional Dual Shock design for the PS3, which will make gamers happier. In addition, the new controller will be wireless, with a USB connection in case you want to be wired. When connected, the controller can be charged automatically. The controller can be connected and disconnected at any time.

The biggest surprise was when Phil Harrison joined Ken Kutaragi on stage to show off the secret feature of the Dual Shock 3: six degrees of freedom. Using technology similar to what we've seen in past games, players can now move the controller freely in order to manipulate the action on the screen.

This was shown by Dylan Jobe, who is the producer/director of Warhawk, which will make an appearance on the system. In the short two minute demo, Jobe was shown flying his craft by handling the controller in a similar fashion to that of an aircraft stick. Before that, Harrison also showed two demos using this feature, with a helicoptor and the traditional rubber duck.

While the new Dual Shock will gain motion detection, it will be losing its shock. Sony confirmed that the rumble feature will be disabled, as the vibration apparently interferes with information detected by the motion sensor.

Sony has also made a few fine adjustments to the controller. The L2/R2 shoulder buttons have been enlarged, allowing for increased stroke depth. The analogue sticks allow for greater tilting angle, a change that will apparently give more delicate controls to games. Both the sticks and the L2/R2 shoulder buttons benefit from an increase in precision from 8 to 10 bits.

We'll have more information on the new controller as soon as we get our hands on it!
That's GREAT news! I wasn't too keen on the whole "bat-a-rang" design of the PS3 controller.

I was unable to find any pictures of the controller.

Bad news for Nintendo...I'm afraid. The whole "motion sensitive" controller thing seemed to be Nintendo's big selling point for the Wii. Now Sony has pretty much taken ALL the wind out of their sales. You can bet that Sony's decision to make the DualShock 3 motion sensitive is gonna but a MAJOR dent in Nintendo's sales. Could this be the final year for Nintendo as a hardware developer?

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread - 05/09/06 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by xXx_DoN_CoRLeOnE_xXx:

I was only willing to pay $399 for the PS3. Looks like I'll be waiting for the first price drop...
So will quite a few people...I don't know what they are smoking, but I have to say that even with some great games, they are going to lose market share to Microsoft with those prices...

I mean, if they were trying to appeal to the "casual" gamer (who makes up most of Sony's market), who do they think is going to be willing to shell out $599 AND buy games at $50-$60 a piece?

Better get a shovel ready. They seem to be digging themselves a hole. I wouldn't by this at launch, especially with this price - because they are inevitably going to have to drop the price.

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread - 05/09/06 01:26 PM

Quote:

I was unable to find any pictures of the controller.

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread - 05/09/06 01:43 PM

Sony is fucking up.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/705/705887p1.html

Quote:
E3 2006: PS3 20 Gig Missing Features?
Images of system with smaller hard drive missing HDMI input, other features.
by Jeff Haynes

May 8, 2006 - The announcement earlier tonight that the PS3 would come in two separate configurations easily caught the ear of PS3 fans eager for any news of Sony's system. However, upon closer analysis of the images for the systems itself, a rather curious system feature seemed to be missing from the 20 gig configuration.

Looking at the official press site of SCEA, we noticed that the PS3 with the 20 gigabyte hard drive seemed to lack HDMI support. This seems to be confirmed by an offical press release from SCEA, which indicates via comparison between the two systems. However, it also indicates that the 20 gigabyte system won't have Memory Stick, SD or Compact Flash reading capability or WiFi support. Even worse, it appears that rumble doesn't appear to be included with the new six axis sensing controller.

Could the 20 gig become a gamer shunned system? When Microsoft launched the Xbox 360, consumers hated the Core system that didn't come with a hard drive and other features, quickly dubbing it the "tard pack." Will the 20 gig suffer the same fate? We'll have more details as we get them from the show.

Update: It also appears that Sony has ditched dual-HDMI support altogether, even from its high-end 60GB system. Whether or not the system is still capable of running dual-displays by using both HDMI and the AV multi-out is unknown.

Also, Sony announced that the Blu-ray disc drive in the PS3 will run at 2X, or roughly 72Mbps.

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread - 05/16/06 12:23 PM

From what I'm reading, all is not lost for those of us who can't purchase the $600 60 GB version. Read below:

Quote:
Posted 15 May 2006
Print this pageEmail this page
GamesRadar rumor debunked
by Justin Pinter

There has been a rumor spreading across the internet that the 20GB version of the PS3 console will not have wireless bluetooth technology for the controllers.

GamesRadar.com reported, "Sony has today cleared up the confusion over the differences in specification between the two models of PlayStation 3 - and the cheaper version won't support wireless controllers...instead, gamers will have to make do with retro-style wired-up versions of the increasingly controversial PS3 pad."

It also claimed that the hard drive is not replacable.

However, if you read the Sony Press Release, it states that both versions of the console will ship with a "Wireless Controller (Bluetooth)". Also, in a number of interviews, Phil Harrison has confirmed that hard drive can be changed at any time.

GamesRadar's report is totally false. Have a look at our PlayStation 3 specification for a breakdown of what's included in each package.
That's from PS3Land, but I've been digging around and it looks to be true. At least the hard drive will be upgradeble, but I'm still disappointed that its missing the memory slots.
Posted By: Blake

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread - 05/16/06 05:58 PM

If I sell my 360 with the games I should have enough to get PS3 at launch. Also GTA4 is launching about a month before the PS3 is.
Posted By: Enzo Scifo

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread - 05/18/06 06:20 PM

Sony is the biggest copy cat in history. Now they have stolen, after all the other things they stole, the concept of the Wii controller.

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread - 05/19/06 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Enzo Scifo:
Sony is the biggest copy cat in history. Now they have stolen, after all the other things they stole, the concept of the Wii controller.
Not really.

Even as a huge Nintendo (and admittedly, Sony) supporter, I disagree. Though clearly they are trying to make up for the loss of the Dualshock rumble technology with a *gimmicky* tilt sensor, the tilt isn't anything new, the early '90's saw the NeoGeo and even the Game Boy Color had this feature. To say they are "copying" Nintendo is a rather weak argument, especially since Sony is keeping the basic design of their megasuccessful DualShock (sans rumble) and adding new features.

The Wii controller will completely change the way people game. The PS3 controller is still bound by the traditional conventions of the gamepad. Saying that Sony "stole" the Wii concept is egregious since a.) the PS3 controller looks nothing like the Wiimote b.) the PS3 controller doesn't have the functionality of the Wiimote and c.) the PS3 controller uses technology that has been used by other companies since the early 90's, while the Wiimote uses pioneering game technology.

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread - 05/19/06 08:12 PM

Myeah, I'd expected this reponse.
Maybe I should have made myself more clear: what I don't like is that Sony suddenly moves to a controller that has these kind of functions (altough limited). To me it's too obvious that they have got the idea of using a move sensor from Nintendo.

But Sony can do what they want, I'm not gonna buy their console, so what they do doesn't really interest me.

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread - 05/19/06 08:38 PM

Quote:
Myeah, I'd expected this reponse.
Maybe I should have made myself more clear: what I don't like is that Sony suddenly moves to a controller that has these kind of functions (altough limited). To me it's too obvious that they have got the idea of using a move sensor from Nintendo.
Your exposition is irrelevant - as I've said before, tilt has been around even before Nintendo (who copied it from NeoGeo?) and a comparison between the Wiimote and the PS3 pad (or the 360's pad) is extraneous since they are so fundamentally different.

Certainly Sony had to come up with something to counter the fact that they lost the rights to DualShock, so is it really surprising they've unvailed this tilt? They probably weren't even planning on it until after they lost the lawsuit.

Again, as I said before, the allegations of Sony copying Nintendo (in this particular case) are pretty weak, since the tilt function has been done before (and not exclusively by Nintendo) and the Wiimote is designed for a full range of motion, while the PS3 controller only recieves 6 tilt inputs.

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread - 05/19/06 11:17 PM

I'm just having this idea that it's too coincidental that they wanted to have this a few months after the Wii was presented. I know motion sensoring was there before the Wii, and the new PS3 isn't so well developed in it as the Wii is. But still, if the Wii didn't have this function, I think the PS3 wouldn't have it too.
So I'm not saying they copied the Wii, but it does feel like this. Why do they have to follow? Now it looks like they can't come up with something new themselves.

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread - 05/20/06 11:41 AM

Quote:
But still, if the Wii didn't have this function, I think the PS3 wouldn't have it too.
Oh, no doubt they gleaned the idea from the Big N in the sense that Nintendo is using the mo-sen, and PS3 had to do something to replace the lost DualShock (which, as I think most gamers would agree, I'd rather have the rumble under a different name than a lame tilt feature).

Quote:

So I'm not saying they copied the Wii
You're not?

Quote:
:p

Quote:
Why do they have to follow? Now it looks like they can't come up with something new themselves.
Not necessarily. The motion sensing still unilaterally is Nintendo's thing, at least for this generation. Sony, yes, has shot themselves in the foot with arrogance and stupidity (making fun of Microsoft for releasing two versions of the 360 when they will do the exact same thing with the PS3, actually worse since the lame PS3 won't be fully upgradeble) but that's not to say the Cell architecture and all the other innards of the PS3 aren't hella cool and unique.

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread - 05/20/06 11:58 AM

Quote:

[quote]Originally posted by Enzo Scifo:
[b]
So I'm not saying they copied the Wii
You're not?

Quote:
:p
[/b][/quote]:D

Let me explain.

At first, I thought they stole it. Then I read what you said, so I changed my opinion. That opinion is that they didn't steal it, but that they were stupid and kinda rip-offed Nintendo's controller.

Which doesn't take away that they did copy many things in the past.

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread - 05/20/06 12:40 PM

Quote:

Which doesn't take away that they did copy many things in the past.
How diplomatic.

The video game industry is like that though. I wouldn't necessarily label Sony as unique in this "crime," however.

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread - 05/20/06 03:34 PM

Quote:
How diplomatic.
As always...

No, Sony is not the only one doing it, but since they and Nintendo are the only ones left that had a major role in the market for the last 12 years, it's quite normal that Sony copied the most of all, or at least, who's copying gets the most attention.

IGN made a top-10 recently, from the 10 most original things in the videogame market. Most of them were from Nintendo, and most of them were used by Sony afterwards.

But anyways, I don't like and I don't hate the Playstation (1 till 3), nor the Xbox (1 till 360).

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread - 06/02/06 04:36 PM

From 1UP.com

Quote:
Sony: If We Make It, They Will Buy
SCEE CEO brimming with confidence regarding PS3.
by Luke Smith, 05/19/2006

When Sony Computer Entertainment Europe CEO David Reeves admits that "key launch titles" will slip into 2007 he also admits that to Sony, it doesn't really matter what ships at launch.

"We have built up a certain brand equity over time since the launch of PlayStation in 1995 and PS2 in 2000 that the first five million are going to buy it, whatever it is, even it didn't have games," Reeves told Computer and Video Games in an interview. During the same interview, Reeves admits that Heavenly Sword, Motorstorm and Formula One will all see release in early 2007 within the PS3 "launch window." Insomniac's gritty World War II shooter (with aliens) Resistance: Fall of Man will be there at launch according to Reeves.

It's not games like Heavenly Sword slipping into the "launch window" instead of the "launch day" category that is concerning -- it's Sony admitting that even if there were no games to purchase, consumers would still be lining up en masse to grab the PS3.

We get it, Sony, you were the market leader for two solid generations of console making, but you might be placing a little too much faith in the perceived strength of your brand to ask people to fork over $600 for your console regardless of the available software.
Quite a bold statement from Sony, I must say. The sad thing is, though...they're probably right.
Posted By: Don Vercetti

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread - 06/08/06 02:24 AM

Golden Axe is being brought back for PS3.

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread - 06/08/06 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Vercetti:
Golden Axe is being brought back for PS3.
Holy shit, would you pay $80 for it though?
Posted By: Don Vercetti

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread - 06/08/06 02:58 AM

Uh, not the original Segaesque graphic version. With emulators, who in the right mind would buy older video games for new systems?

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread - 06/08/06 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Vercetti:
Uh, not the original Segaesque graphic version. With emulators, who in the right mind would buy older video games for new systems?
Oh, I'm just saying, since the PS3 is rumoured to carry $80 price tags on games because of the blu-ray discs.

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread - 06/17/06 08:54 PM

From GameSpot.com

Quote:
PS3 bundle-palooza opens with $1,000-plus pack
European retailer Play.com lists 60GB PlayStation 3 with three games for 549 pounds ($1,016).

By Tim Surette, GameSpot

In the completely unsurprising department, the first PlayStation 3 bundle from an online retailer has hit the Net, and it's expensive. Gamers who thought the initial Xbox 360 bundles were pricey at a minimum of $600 should sit down before reading the next sentence. Play.com is selling the PlayStation 3 with the 60GB hard drive and three games for 549 pounds, roughly $1,016. The three games included are Warhawk, Formula One 06, and SingStar--perfect for gamers who like air combat, driving, and karaoke games.

Of course the PlayStation 3, like most gaming products, will be more expensive across the pond relative to the US market. The 60GB PS3 was announced to launch in Europe for 599 euros or 425 pounds, which is the American equivalent of $758 and $799, respectively.

Assuming the previously reported 425-pound price point is to remain true in the UK, it would mean that Play.com would be selling the three games for 124 pounds ($230), or just over 41 pounds per game (just over $76). The early bird also won't necessarily get the worm--Play.com does not guarantee delivery of the bundles before Christmas.

Sticker shock isn't likely to be done yet. Gamers may remember the ridiculous $4,499 Xbox 360 bundles that were released, which included a 42-inch plasma screen television. Bundles are the perfect way for retailers to make some extra cash with high-demand items, and it's likely that online retailers will have similar ideas for both the PS3 and Nintendo's Wii.

And remember, this is all before tax and shipping charges.
Why? Before you know it...gaming will only be for the wealthy...or kids with trust funds. This is absolutely ridiculous... :rolleyes:

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread - 06/18/06 04:02 AM

Quote:
Why? Before you know it...gaming will only be for the wealthy...or kids with trust funds. This is absolutely ridiculous... :rolleyes:
Actually, before you know, Sony is going to be out of business. They are going to take a huge loss on the PS3, even if it sells well.

Look at it this way - for the price of the PS3, you could get an X-Box 360 AND the Nintendo Wii. That's nuts.

Sony are the ones that are trying to drive the prices up in this market, and I think (at least in my gamer-minded opinion since the old Atari/Nintendo wars) that Sony is going to alienate many casual gamers with those prices. I mean, c'mon - $600 for the system, another $50 for an extra controller, and $80 for each game? The market won't allow it.

Sony is in trouble...financially, and prospect-wise. They've taken a huge hit with the loss of the rumble lawsuit, and now are acting so arrogant they don't even realize the gaming public is uniting against them. Even most parents, I think, would balk at buying their kids a $600+ video game system for Christmas.

Go Nintendo! There system is going to be under $250, and games will sell for under $50. And, they have the new, innovative controller.

I still want a PS3, in the worst way...but I won't buy it until the prices go down. The problem is that the franchises I want (SOCOM, F1, Gran Turismo, etc.) are PS3 exclusive. Darn.

Anyone else think that Sony could go the way of the Dreamcast?

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread - 06/18/06 11:12 AM

Strange.

Two years ago everybody was screaming Nintendo would end up like Sega.

Now the first voices appear that Sony might not be omni-potent and fail.

How things can change with a fresh mind...

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread - 06/19/06 01:52 PM

Well, that's because Nintendo a.) didn't have strong 3rd party support and b.) sold the least amount of consoles despite repeat price drops.

Sony is already in financial trouble. If they take a huge loss on the PS3 (which they are expected to) and don't sell enough units to recoup, they could be in some serious hot water.

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread - 06/20/06 03:52 AM

From IGN.com

Quote:
Immersion Offers to Rumble PS3
It seems Sony's excuse for leaving the tech out of its new controller is a little shaky.

by Daemon Hatfield

June 19, 2006 - Many were surprised to hear that the PlayStation 3 controller would not support a rumble feature, as it has become an expected part of the modern gaming experience. Both the Xbox 360 and the Nintendo Wii support the technology, meaning Sony's console will be the only next-gen system without a rumble-enabled controller.

Sony's explanation for the feature's absence is that the vibration interferes with new motion-sensing technology being implemented into the controller. But this claim conflicts with news from developer Immersion, who has just finished work on a new vibration effect that can function alongside motion-sensing features.

Says Immersion: "The new TouchSense technology is compatible with motion control and tilt-sensing to allow players to control certain game actions by moving or tilting a handheld controller. Because the speed at which a user moves the controller is much slower than the frequencies generated by TouchSense technology, the two signals can be differentiated using filtering and other techniques. Immersion also offers engineering services to implement the technology within a particular console system."

Don't expect Sony to give Immersion a call anytime soon, however, as the two companies have been entangled in a lawsuit in which Sony was found guilty of patent infringement over the use of rumble in its DualShock controller and was ordered to pay Immersion $90.7 million.

That this litigation is the true cause of Sony's decision to withhold a rumble feature from its new controller has been a popular theory among industry insiders, but it's a claim that has never been substantiated. As of this writing the company could not be reached for comment. What we do know is the PS3 controller could, apparently, include vibration if Sony wanted it to.
Well...despite the fact that the PS3 is gonna cost an arm, a leg, and a few other body parts...this is still GREAT news...that is...if Sony and Immersion can come to terms with each other...

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread - 06/20/06 09:46 PM

Sony won't come to terms because they screwed Immersion in the first place, and had to pay them when they lost the lawsuit.

Holy shit, I love how they say that vibration would interfere with the motion sensing capabilities of the controller, yet the Wiimote has vibration AND motion sensing far greater than the tilt sensors in the PS3 controller. :rolleyes:

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread - 10/01/06 05:52 PM

Price Drop for Japanese PS3

From IGN.com

Quote:
September 22, 2006 - You might have already seen this burried in our live report from the Ken Kutaragi keynote address earlier today, but Sony kicked off TGS with a major bang, announcing a price drop and a major spec change for the PlayStation 3.

Ken Kutaragi's first bombshell was that the 20 gigabyte PS3 model will now included an HDMI port. Until now, only the 60 Gig model was set to include the next generation port, which is currently available on only a small fraction of televisions.

"HDMI compatible televisions are spreading faster than we expected," cited Kutaragi as reason for the change.

But this upgrade in specifications is nothing compared to what Kutaragi had in store next. The 20 gigabyte PS3 model is going to break new ground by seeing a price drop before it's even been released! Kutaragi announced that the 20 Gig model, HDMI port and all, will now cost 49,980 yen. This is a drastic drop from the previous 62,790 yen.

The 60 gigabyte model is still set at open pricing, meaning retailers are free to price it as they please. However, given that the price drop for the 20 Gig model, the actual retail pricing of the 60 gig model will likely change accordingly.

Today's announcements concern Japan only. Sony has yet to issue a statement on the HDMI port and pricing in other territories. For what it's worth, the Japanese system now costs over fifty dollars less than the US system, which is a bit strange for a Sony platform. We wouldn't be too surprised if the US were to see similar pricing changes.
I'm gonna be pissed if Sony decided not to apply the price drop to the American PS3 as well.

I also read that PS3 games will most likely be in the $50-60 price range. Here's a link to that story.

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread - 10/01/06 11:17 PM

Quote:
I'm gonna be pissed if Sony decided not to apply the price drop to the American PS3 as well.

I also read that PS3 games will most likely be in the $50-60 price range. Here's a [b]link
to that story. [/b]
Sony has already announced that this is a Japanese exclusive, and that the North American price points ("magic points," which basically means the most they can squeeze out of buyers before they refuse to buy it) are remaining the same, there will be no price drop in North America.

Sony desperately needs support in Japan, where it is likely going to fall behind the Wii and even the 360 because of its high price point.
Posted By: NYC Goodfella

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread - 11/12/06 07:16 PM

I have always played on the playstation platforms. It is terrible how sony is trying to create a false demand for their PS3. I am seeing people pay as much as $2000 for a PS3 on ebay. These people need to get a life. No one should need one that badly. By February everyone will be able to get as many as they want at the retail price.

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread - 11/12/06 08:30 PM

Sony is in deep (considerably deep) financial shit already (which is why their stock is shaky). If the PS3 doesn't sell like hotcakes - and with its current retail price, it won't be flying off the shelves (after the launch, of course) like the Wii and the X-Box 360 in 2007 - Sony is going to either have to cut its losses (erm...add to its losses?) and drop the PS3 down to a more affordable range or...risk complete ruin. They'll make a shitload on software. Why not offer the PS3 without the blu-ray and people will hop on that shit. I don't care if it comes with a free Talledega Nights DVD...who gives fuck? Make it cheaper so the average person doesn't have to sell an organ to get this thing. They're only making 400,000 units which means demand will be artificially inflated, but hell, that number is coming by the skin of their teeth, because they can't make them this cheap with the blu-ray and have had numerous delays already (Spring 2006 release, anyone else remember that old chestnut?).

For my holiday purchase, its going to be Wii - the nice price, and Twilight Princess sealed the deal. Sony will have to wait until their console loses its ridiculous pricetag before I even consider dropping my cold hard cash on that black and chrome behemoth.

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread - 11/17/06 04:38 PM

Sony has taken a big financial hit developing the PS3, and they will continue taking a hit for the next year or so.

But Sony can still claim one thing that the other companies can't. They've got the largest market share in the videogame industry. Their market share is so substantial...they could end up coming in 3rd during this console war...and still be number 1.

That being said...Sony REALLY needs to pull out all the stops over the next 5-6 years if they even wanna stay in business. If PS3 fails (which it won't, but if), they're looking to go the way of Sega.

Speaking of PS3...I went to my local Wal-Mart at about 6 p.m last night...just to check out the insanity. There was a line stretched completely around the building. Wal-Mart wouldn't actually let them start lining up INSIDE the store until 9:30.

Hundreds of people...and my Wal-Mart only received 6 PS3s.

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread - 11/17/06 04:45 PM

Check out these prices on ebaY !
Posted By: Don Cardi

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread - 11/18/06 02:32 PM

After seeing how SONY has manipulated and handled the distribution of PS3, I hope that they do lose millions of dollars on this whole deal. They deserve to.

And to see the way that some have acted in trying to get a PS3, waiting on line for as much as five days, fighting and injuring others, etc., tells me that there are a lot of people who are really out of touch with reality .

The BEST quote that I heard was from a mother, who'd been on line for several days, saying : "Hurricane Katrina could come through here and I would NOT move from this line. My son NEEDS a PS3, HE CANNOT LIVE WITHOUT ONE and it would crush him if has to be without one, so I'm staying right here!"

Give me a f**king break.

Don Cardi

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread - 11/18/06 05:27 PM

Seriously, people are retarded. Think about it - in 6 months, they won't be able to move the PS3's off the shelf, just like the X-Box 360, and its previous incarnations before that. If you don't get it at launch and aren't out to make a huge profit on Ebay, then just wait, or find a local shop that will hold one for you.

For example, I'm going to try and get the Wii this weekend, I've been calling my stores (ranging from Toys 'R Us to Best Buy to Wal-Mart) to find out who is doing what, how many they'll have, etc. I really didn't want to have to "camp" with other people at midnight tonight to get this, and luckily, none of these stores are having a Midnight opening, which means I can be a normal human being tomorrow morning - get up around 7:00 AM, have a cup of coffee, drive over to the stores around 8:00 AM when they open, and pick up a Wii. It's that simple. And if they run out? Boohoo. I'll wait for the next shipment, when they'll have 3 million units instead of tomorrows 1 million.

A bigger problem with the PS3 is I'm hearing a ton of glitches and problems, which is EXACTLY why I didn't go for the launch version. Sony has a history with the Playstation of having substandard reliability, but launch gear is always prone to such problems. Now, even more so, because Sony rushed these 400,000 units out of the factory so that they didn't lose any ground to Nintendo after losing so much to Microsoft already.

I'll still buy a PS3, but I'll be damned if I'll wait days in the rain in a tent, unable to leave the line, so I can play a video game. Get real.

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread - 11/18/06 07:51 PM

My sentiments exactly, JJ.

I saw on the news earlier that a guy got shot over a PS3. Some kind of argument broke out between two "campers"...and one of them ended up getting shot over it. It's f*cking ridiculous!

Like you, JJ...I'm seriously considering picking up the Wii tomorrow, if not in a few weeks. A much lower price, the best 1st party games of any console, and the ability to play classics with the Virtual Console. It's almost a sin not to get one!
Posted By: Just Lou

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread - 11/21/06 06:23 AM

Considering how a much stand alone Blu-Ray player sells for, the PS3 is a real bargain at its retail price.

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread - 11/21/06 02:55 PM

Originally Posted By: XDCX

Like you, JJ...I'm seriously considering picking up the Wii tomorrow, if not in a few weeks. A much lower price, the best 1st party games of any console, and the ability to play classics with the Virtual Console. It's almost a sin not to get one!

I got my Wii...I waited five hours for it, and was #6 in line...

AND IT IS AMAZING!!!

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread - 11/21/06 05:03 PM

Come on, give us your fucking impressions man!

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread - 11/21/06 06:10 PM

I'll put them in the Wii thread - but you'll have to wait a bit. I have 3 papers due on Monday, one of which is a 20 pager on post-45 foreign policy historiography (quite exciting, no doubt) which means I've only had a few hours to try out the Wii. I'll be sure to have a full review up soon.
Posted By: DonPacino

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread - 03/28/07 10:10 PM

I finally got my PS3.....but not alowwed to play it until Aprl 15th, my brothers birthday. Vey overpriced but my mum picked it up from here work so we got a discount :D. It came with Motorstorm and we will be getting Marvel Ulitiamte Alliance, Def Jam: Icon and The Godfather: The Don's edition. It's for both my brother and I but he's getting it for his birthday. Looks pretty cool and it's taunting me!

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread - 06/09/07 09:33 PM

So I finally caved and bought a PS3 (my legal dispute with Wal-Mart was finally settled, and I got my settlement.) I bought a 32" LCD HDTV for about $600 (720p), and I got the PS3 (along with Resistance: Fall of Man). Since I work at Target, I get an employee discount, so I saved quite a bit.

I gotta say, it's a VERRRRRRY nice piece of technology. You can turn the system on and off with the PS3 Sixaxis controller, the Blu-Ray technology is icing, and the games look great.

It is still seriously overpriced, but you do get a lot of bang for your buck.

Resistance is a pretty fucking sweet game. I've never been huge on FPS's (I was never really good at them), but its great fun. I'll probably pick up a couple more games tomorrow (or download some demos from the PlayStation Store.)

I still plan on getting the Wii, as well.
Posted By: whisper

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread - 06/10/07 03:18 AM

I would love to see a Max Payne 3 come out.Max Payne 1 is a classic but 2 was a let down.But MP3 on PS3 would be really cool IMO.

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread - 06/10/07 01:35 PM

The only two things that disappointed me about Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne (PS2 version) were:

A) The graphics sucked. Now usually this doesn't bother me as long as the game is good. But when the graphics actually affect the gameplay (i.e. glitches and slow down when there's too much going on), then it bothers me.

B) It was too short.

Other than that, I enjoyed both games immensely. But the PS2 versions were the worst of the bunch (and those were the versions I played.)

Max Payne 3 on the PS3 would indeed be awesome. But I think the days of 3rd party exclusives are coming to an end. If it's 3rd party, odds are it'll be on as many systems as possible. Which is better for the consumer, I think.

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread - 06/10/07 02:53 PM

Originally Posted By: XDCX
So I finally caved and bought a PS3 (my legal dispute with Wal-Mart was finally settled, and I got my settlement.) I bought a 32" LCD HDTV for about $600 (720p), and I got the PS3 (along with Resistance: Fall of Man). Since I work at Target, I get an employee discount, so I saved quite a bit.

I gotta say, it's a VERRRRRRY nice piece of technology. You can turn the system on and off with the PS3 Sixaxis controller, the Blu-Ray technology is icing, and the games look great.

It is still seriously overpriced, but you do get a lot of bang for your buck.

Resistance is a pretty fucking sweet game. I've never been huge on FPS's (I was never really good at them), but its great fun. I'll probably pick up a couple more games tomorrow (or download some demos from the PlayStation Store.)

I still plan on getting the Wii, as well.

I want a PS3 quite a bit, but until Sony decided to stop committing harakiri and drops the price down to something reasonable (say, $299 or $399), I refuse to plunk down cash when I'm having fun with my Wii. The PS3 desperately needs a price drop and some "must-have" games, and soon.
Posted By: Just Lou

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread - 06/27/07 12:40 AM

Originally Posted By: Double-J

I want a PS3 quite a bit, but until Sony decided to stop committing harakiri and drops the price down to something reasonable (say, $299 or $399), I refuse to plunk down cash when I'm having fun with my Wii. The PS3 desperately needs a price drop and some "must-have" games, and soon.

If Blu-ray wins the format war, which it's looking more and more like it will, then the PS3 would be a bargain at it's current price. Right now, the basic Blu-ray player still costs about $500.

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread - 06/27/07 08:04 AM

If you only want the PS3 for gaming...then sure, it's most definitely overpriced for the average consumer. But as Just Lou stated, for the ones that purchased it for ALL it's bells and whistles, $600 is a bargain.

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread - 06/28/07 12:59 PM

But considering that the vast majority of Americans use DVD's, and not HD-TV or HD-DVD/Blu-Ray this early in the format war, it will not matter because that price is geared towards early adopters. By the time one of the formats "wins," the price of the players will have dropped considerably. See the transition from VHS to DVD's in the late 90's.

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread - 08/10/07 05:44 PM

Apparently this was announced last week, but I just read it today. And now my heart is aching. \:\(

GTA IV Delayed Until Spring 2008

From 1up.com

Rockstar says it needs more time to finish the game.
By Sam Kennedy, 08/02/2007

This just in... Take-Two has announced that Grand Theft Auto IV is being delayed until Spring of 2008 due to "additional development time required to complete the title." Read on for further explanations that came with today's announcement as well as links to stories related to this news.

"With Grand Theft Auto IV, Rockstar is setting a new standard for next generation video games," stated Strauss Zelnick, Chairman of Take-Two. "Certain elements of development proved to be more time-intensive than expected, especially given the commitment for a simultaneous release on two very different platforms. We all recognize that perfecting the game is vital and I can assure everyone it will be worth the wait. We owe it to the game's millions of fans, to our dedicated development team, and to our shareholders to make sure that Grand Theft Auto IV is a groundbreaking gaming experience that takes maximum advantage of next generation technology."

"The new consoles are allowing us to create the Grand Theft Auto game we always dreamed about," added Sam Houser, Founder and Executive Producer of Rockstar Games. "Every aspect of the game and its design has been completely transformed. The game is huge and is pushing the hardware platforms to their absolute limits. The top engineers from Sony and Microsoft are working closely with the team in Edinburgh right now, helping us to fully leverage the power of both platforms. As always, our goal is to surpass even the wildest expectations of the game's fans, and to create the ultimate high definition video game experience."
-------------------------------------------------------

I guess it's a good thing that Rockstar wants to take more time to make sure the game is as great as possible...but it's still disappointing. I was looking forward to picking it up this October.

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread - 08/10/07 08:34 PM

Rumors have been flying that it is because of the PS3 that the delay occurred. But on the plus side, there is also a HUGE rumor from a reliable source that Sony is making a move to acquire majority control of Rockstar, which means that GTA would be an exclusive Sony franchise once again...

I would definitely think that instead of pissing off Microsoft by having the versions of the game released when they are ready, R* is showing a bit of favoritism towards Sony by keeping GTA under lock and key until the PS3 version is ready.

The good news I've heard? Starting next year, EA is building all of their next-gen titles based off the PS3, rather than porting from the X-Box 360 and having delays for PS3 versions, which will be a nice change.
Posted By: Zaf-the-don

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread - 08/11/07 07:17 PM

I think that is unlikely. Knowing Microsoft they would go all out price war if that happend. But if does happen, its good news as i like PS over Xbox

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread - 08/12/07 02:36 PM

Actually, from what I've heard, its actually more reliable than what many are speculating.

Don't laugh - do you realize what a console seller GTA would be if it goes back to being a Sony exclusive? Seriously...

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread - 08/12/07 06:16 PM

Its still hard to believe. But if GTA comes to sony exclusivly bye bye X Box.

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread - 10/04/07 01:37 PM

Thank GOD Sony and Immersion finally came to an agreement on rumble support for the PS3.

My only concern is how long a full charge will last on the controller. A full charge WITHOUT rumble is usually good for 3 to 4 days (if you play regularly.) I can't imagine the toll that the rumble will take on the charge.

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread - 10/15/07 09:41 AM

I brought MY PS3 (60GB), Its all good. I got a good deal IMO. 3 games (RFOM, Fifa 08 and F1) and an extra controller for £394.

Cant wait for MGS4, GT4, gta4, Resident evil 5, mafia 2 and Godfather part 2.

I think the PS3 was worth it, definitly with the up comming games.

PS - the controller is crap and feels realy cheap - the dualshock 3 controller is a must buy, which should come out in march.

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread - 10/15/07 12:35 PM

BTW - I'm definitely looking into the "Buy 2 get 1 free" sale at Toys 'R Us this week, I'm thinking about picking up some new PS3 games.

Most likely, Folklore, Heavenly Sword, and either Splinter Cell: Double Agent or Ghost Recon 2. ;\)

Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** PS3 Thread - 10/15/07 09:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Double-J
BTW - I'm definitely looking into the "Buy 2 get 1 free" sale at Toys 'R Us this week, I'm thinking about picking up some new PS3 games.

Most likely, Folklore, Heavenly Sword, and either Splinter Cell: Double Agent or Ghost Recon 2. ;\)

That's not a bad deal at all. I might have to look into it.

I played a demo of Folklore...and it's pretty sweet. It's a drastically different take on the adventure/RPG formula. I can't vouch for the final game, but it may be worth a look.

Heavenly Sword is an AWESOME game...but you can beat it in a day. \:\/

I've already vouched for GRAW 2. DEFINITELY pick that one up.

I had considered SC: Double Agent for PS3...but I didn't get it because I have it for my PS2. I know the PS3 version is different (different missions), but its the same basic story, so it's hard for me to justify a $60 purchase.

I pre-ordered Assassin's Creed a week or so ago. I traded in a bunch of old PS2 games, and it paid for itself.

The game looks absolutely awesome. I can't wait for it to come out.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET