Home

Davey Scatino story arc

Posted By: Moe_Tilden

Davey Scatino story arc - 04/11/19 09:13 PM

Anyone else think Robert Patrick's acting in The Sopranos was incredible? He played that part to absolute perfection in every possible facet. 7:55-9:13 is probably the best part of the recap. He goes from seriously contemplating suicide: "I'm fixing a fucking lightbulb!" to getting spoken to like a dog by Tony when he whines about Tony and the crew absorbing his business: "Get the fuck back in your fucking hole". The scene with Davey opening up to his brother-in-law is absolutely heart-rending.

The arcs of guys like Vin Makazian, Davey Scatino, Gene Pontecorvo and Johnny Sack are so well-acted. It makes Steven Van Zandt and his wife's atrocious acting stick out like a sore thumb.

The sign of great acting is when one not only delivers lines with authority, but can convey the essence of a character with their physical acting; the eye movements and hand movements etc. That's what made James Gandolfini's portrayal so legendary.

You can FEEL the desperation, sadness and overwhelming despair of Davey Scatino in the character's eyes. Same thing with Gene Pontecorvo when his wife shows him that their son is using again. The agony in his eyes was so genuine.

Fuck, what a great show. The way the writers and directors brought out incredible performances from the actors, some of whom were very much journeymen actors, gives me faith that Newark will deliver in the same way.

Posted By: OakAsFan

Re: Davey Scatino story arc - 04/12/19 01:36 AM

THEY'RE ANIMALS VIC!
Posted By: Goldy

Re: Davey Scatino story arc - 04/12/19 04:14 PM

Robert Patrick was on Carolla's podcast a while back and he was talking about his short stint on the show. He said that he and Gandolfini were taking a break from shooting and having a cigarette chatting. They were going to be shooting the scene where Tony confronts Davey in his office at the sports store the next day. Robert jokingly tells Gandolfini "You better bring your A game tomorrow" and Gandofini just glares at him and walks away. They go to shoot the scene the next day and Gandofini just says to him "How's your balls?" Gandolfini smacked him for real and was really throwing him around the room. Robert said he didn't think he appreciated the suggestion about bringing his A game. Maybe Robert did that on purpose to piss him off to use for that scene or whatever, but he said he was an intense guy when it came to acting. Maybe too intense.

Unfortunately they didn't really get much into the show other than that. But I thought that was a cool little insight/behind the scenes moment.

The casting for this show was spot on.
Posted By: DuesPaid

Re: Davey Scatino story arc - 04/15/19 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by Goldy
Robert Patrick was on Carolla's podcast a while back and he was talking about his short stint on the show. He said that he and Gandolfini were taking a break from shooting and having a cigarette chatting. They were going to be shooting the scene where Tony confronts Davey in his office at the sports store the next day. Robert jokingly tells Gandolfini "You better bring your A game tomorrow" and Gandofini just glares at him and walks away. They go to shoot the scene the next day and Gandofini just says to him "How's your balls?" Gandolfini smacked him for real and was really throwing him around the room. Robert said he didn't think he appreciated the suggestion about bringing his A game. Maybe Robert did that on purpose to piss him off to use for that scene or whatever, but he said he was an intense guy when it came to acting. Maybe too intense.

Unfortunately they didn't really get much into the show other than that. But I thought that was a cool little insight/behind the scenes moment.

The casting for this show was spot on.

Very cool, I love when a scene being filmed gets carried away and one of the actors is actually scared or confused due to ad-libbing or undirected / scripted violence.
Posted By: MeyerLansky

Re: Davey Scatino story arc - 04/15/19 01:52 PM

tbh i felt sorry for him that he couldn't stop his gambling addiction
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET