Home

The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread

Posted By: edimeo25

The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 01/15/19 10:40 PM

I'm surprised no one else has made a thread about this or posts news. Figured I'd make one for all official news.

Several casting announcements today:

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/jon-bernthal-vera-farmiga-sopranos-preque-new-line-1203102889/

Actors Jon Bernthal and Vera Farmiga were announced this morning. And:

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/sopranos-movie-corey-stoll-billy-magnussen-1203108158/

Corey Stoll and Billy Magnussen this afternoon.

No word yet on who they are playing but there is speculation in the internet that Farmiga and Bernthal may be playing Tony's parents.

Just throwing this out there: Corey Stoll as Uncle Junior? Only because he's bald. I could see Billy Magnussen, based on his looks, as a young Paulie. But who knows at this point.

The only confirmed character cast is Alessandro Nivola as Dickie Moltisante, presumably the title character. Moltisante is Many Saints in Italian.
Posted By: Jimmy_Two_Times

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 01/17/19 05:35 PM

Is it me or does John Bernthal a dead ringer for a Sonny Franzese?
Posted By: mike68

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 01/23/19 03:57 PM

https://www.bostonherald.com/2019/0...ast-as-tony-soprano-in-sopranos-movie-6/

James Gandolfini's son, Michael, to play young Tony Soprano
Posted By: Moe_Tilden

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 01/23/19 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by mike68
https://www.bostonherald.com/2019/0...ast-as-tony-soprano-in-sopranos-movie-6/

James Gandolfini's son, Michael, to play young Tony Soprano

How is he in The Deuce?

I hope they know what they are doing and aren't casting him out of sentiment, or nepotism.
Posted By: Goldy

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 01/23/19 07:06 PM

So they are going to fit all of this into one movie? I thought the story was going to take place when Tony was just a little kid. Gandolfini's kid is 19 so we're getting into the territory of where he was probably starting to get involved.I know they said that Tony killed Willie Overall at 24 and he (with Sil, Jackie Sr) robbed Feech's cardgame prior to that......I'm all for seeing anything we can get in the Sopranos Universe and trust Chase, but I hope they aren't spreading this thing a little too thin.
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 01/23/19 09:55 PM

I just heard about this today and I'm really anxious to see it. Gandolfini's son in the role will be very touching. Do you guys know if this will be an HBO movie or a theater movie?

TIS
smile

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 01/24/19 02:23 AM

It's a theater release. Probably not till late 2019/20 at this point since they are still casting roles.
Posted By: DuesPaid

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 01/24/19 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by Goldy
It's a theater release. Probably not till late 2019/20 at this point since they are still casting roles.

Then we all still stand a chance of getting cast.

Come on PEOPLE!

One of us should get in on this.
Posted By: MrWilliams

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 01/24/19 05:41 AM

I guess they have come out with a trailer for it yet right?

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 01/24/19 10:27 PM

They haven't started filming yet.
Posted By: blueracing347

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 01/25/19 12:42 AM

Let me re phrase my comment. MG's role in the Deuce is similar to AJ's role in the Sopranos. It's only a role.

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 01/25/19 12:57 AM

His kid has grown into a very handsome man. Gandolfini would be proud.
Posted By: Revis_Knicks

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 01/30/19 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by Goldy

Definitely 2020 at the earliest. Would love to see it ASAP but I also would like them to take as much time as they need to ensure that it reaches its fullest potential
Posted By: Revis_Knicks

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 01/30/19 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by Moe_Tilden
His kid has grown into a very handsome man. Gandolfini would be proud.

I thought the same. I’ve seen pictures of him when he was a kid and he definitely grew up and lost some weight too. Good for him.

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 02/28/19 05:58 PM

https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/1044961-ray-liotta-joins-sopranos-prequel

Ray Liotta has joined the cast. Interesting for two reasons: he's yet another actor from "Goodfellas" to have also appeared in the Sopranos universe, and also he was the first choice to play Tony Soprano. Wonder who he will play. Someone prominent, like the boss Old man Dimeo? Maybe the boss before that considering his age. Liotta is 65 now, and Dimeo was said to be 74 in 1999 and this takes place in 1967.

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 02/28/19 06:59 PM

Nice, thanks e
Posted By: OakAsFan

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 03/01/19 05:00 AM

Liotta's playing someone based on Sam The Plumber. His age is just right.

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 03/01/19 07:14 PM

Olivia: Stewie, you're being mean.
Stewie: No, if I was being mean, when you opened the door, I would have said "Oh, Hey Ray Liotta, is Olivia home? Oh wait, you're Olivia". You see, I thought you were Ray Liotta, because your skin has the texture of a decorative autumn squash.

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 03/02/19 07:59 PM

I hope Liotta's playing a young Murf Lupo.

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 03/02/19 08:43 PM

Hopefully he'll keep Jr away from the loose change in his coat this time. Haha.

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 03/02/19 10:31 PM

I like when he was trying to sneak out and Junior caught him. It's too bad we didn't see more of old Murf.

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 03/15/19 08:29 PM

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/03/sopranos-prequel-movie-newark-release-date-1202051218/

Release date has been announced: September 25, 2020. And it has been re-titled to just "Newark."

Interestingly, if you look at the cast list on imdb, there are three new actors that I haven't seen announced in the news: Scotty Gelt, Chris LaPanta, and John Magaro. Magaro played Loco Lorna's "second" husband in "Orange is the New Black. He's in his mid 30s but could pass for mid to late 20s, which is about how old Paulie Walnuts would have been in 1967. We shall see.

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 03/16/19 02:18 AM

Moltisanti means Many Saints, doesn't it? Since they dropped that part of the title I wonder if they changed the script.
Posted By: MeyerLansky

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 03/16/19 05:22 PM

i hope we will get some great music from that timeline !
Posted By: dixiemafia

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 03/16/19 08:51 PM

Most of the stories I seen said it started out as "Newark" and then was changed to "Many Saints of Newark"

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 03/16/19 08:59 PM

I kind of prefer "Many Saints.." TBH. Surely they can think of something better than "Newark"?

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 03/17/19 07:03 AM

David Chase is obviously big on music. I'm guessing we'll see a lot of young Hesh, who's based on Morris Levy. This would be Hesh in the head cracking days.

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 03/17/19 12:51 PM

Hesh barely got a word in edgewise on that reunion thing they did.

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 03/17/19 04:49 PM

Jerry Adler (Hesh) just turned 90. It's tough to get words in edgewise at that age. Especially with shitfaced Lorraine Bracco on stage.
Posted By: JackieAprile

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 03/18/19 07:50 PM

Does anyone else think this film would act as a backdoor pilot for a TV series if it does well?

Also, I really hope they don't recast Johnny Boy. Joseph Siravo was perfect. A perfect 1960s hood who actually did look like Victor Mature (as his mistress Fran said).

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 03/19/19 02:47 AM

He was great as Tony's Dad, but he's probably too old to play that role again in the timeframe they're doing in this flick. Siravo is in his 60's now.....maybe around the same age as Johnny Boy was when he passed in the show. He should have been on the show more, he was good. Wonder who John Bernthal is going to play. He's got a good throwback tough guy look. Looks like Sonny Franzese.
Posted By: Hollander

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 03/19/19 11:33 AM

Bernthal is likely to play Johnny Boy. Livia Soprano will be played by Vera Farmiga.

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 03/20/19 05:50 PM

i wonder if we are we going to see young johnny sack ?
carmine lupertazzi ?
and more...
Posted By: DE NIRO

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 03/21/19 06:41 PM

I got a feeling this film will Bomb.

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 03/22/19 09:06 PM

I may need to watch it again but I didn't think much of Johnny Soprano in the Sopranos. The actor's portrayal seemed kind of cartoony and at odds with what was generally a very well-acted show.

It was like a performance you would see in a made-for-TV movie about the mob.

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 03/23/19 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Moe_Tilden
I may need to watch it again but I didn't think much of Johnny Soprano in the Sopranos. The actor's portrayal seemed kind of cartoony and at odds with what was generally a very well-acted show.

It was like a performance you would see in a made-for-TV movie about the mob.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLB2oXAxx88

He was good there above, and also, in a much more understated version of the character (portraying Johnny Boy as he was toward the end of his life, sickly and burnt out) starts at 4:05:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8lBSvru2D4&t

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 03/28/19 05:05 PM

the cars the clothes the music are all classic 60s
that's going to be so cool to watch ! ! !

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 03/28/19 05:21 PM

also tony once told chrissy that his father single handed killed the new england crew
i wonder if we are going to see that...

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 04/04/19 07:42 AM

Sopranos prequel gets underway as Alessandro Nivola and Michela De Rossi are spotted on day one of filming Newark

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowb...ichela-Rossi-spotted-day-one-Newark.html

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 04/05/19 01:54 AM

Nice shot of Dickie Moltisanti in a suit. You can see the extras are in their 60s wear.
Posted By: LuanKuci

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 04/10/19 07:27 PM

New images: Michael Gandolfini as teenager Tony, Jon Bernthal as (possibly) younger Paulie and David Chase on set.

https://m.imgur.com/a/58LJVEn

Jon Bernthal and Michael Gandolfini:

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/04/10/11/12091042-6906837-image-a-99_1554892448674.jpg

Also: web rumor has it that the movie will take place over a course of few years: starting in 1968 and ending in 1974 (the year of Dickie’s death). We’ll definitely find out who really killed Dickie...

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 04/10/19 11:34 PM

He looks the part of young Tony anyway. Hopefully he brings the same acting chops.

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 04/10/19 11:35 PM

You beat me to it!

Bernthal's a bit too old for Paulie, who'd be in his mid-20s in 1967, going by Tony Sirico's age. The consensus on the web is he's playing Johnny Boy.

I've got John Magaro pegged as Paulie:

http://www.zimbio.com/photos/John+Magaro/Carol+America+Express+Gala+BFI+London+Film/CuC2fMIyjc0

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 04/10/19 11:40 PM

Funny enough, here's Magaro and James Gandolfini together in David Chase's other film, "Not Fade Away." Imagine Paulie with that hair!

https://njmonthly.com/articles/jersey-living/from-hitmen-to-hitmakers/

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 04/11/19 01:40 AM

DERE HE IS!!!!!

[Linked Image]

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 05/25/19 05:01 AM

- Livia (Vera Fermiga) and Giovanni (Jon Bernthal):

[Linked Image]

- Peter “Beansie” Gaeta will appear, portrayed by Spenser Granese:

[Linked Image]

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 05/26/19 11:58 AM

i still can't believe we won't see the real sopranos ever again...
i wonder if this movie will be any good (will be hard to match the real sopranos...)

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 06/17/19 02:41 PM

That's a wrap! 15 long months to go. Hope they stick with that "Sopranos" inspired logo!

https://www.nj.com/entertainment/20...-behind-the-scenes-photos-and-video.html
Posted By: PetroPirelli

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 07/13/19 09:42 PM

Alessandro Nivola teases Sopranos prequel film...

https://ew.com/movies/2019/07/12/sopranos-movie-many-saints-of-newark-alessandro-nivola/

I'm excited about this film. I think it's going to be great.

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 07/21/19 07:35 PM

I was browsing the cast list on imdb for any updates on who's who, and one of the mystery characters will be played by Alexandra Intrator. Now if she's not playing a young Janice Soprano I will be flabbergasted. Uncanny resemblance to Aida Turturro.

Attached picture young janice.jpg

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 12/04/19 09:51 PM

am i the only one who excited more from the music we are going to get then the movie himself tongue lol

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 12/04/19 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by edimeo25
I was browsing the cast list on imdb for any updates on who's who, and one of the mystery characters will be played by Alexandra Intrator. Now if she's not playing a young Janice Soprano I will be flabbergasted. Uncanny resemblance to Aida Turturro.

A German Shepherd's shaved asshole won first prize.

There are men in the can better looking than her.
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 12/05/19 03:32 AM

I'm thinking this film's timeline almost has to carry into the mid '70s and that's where we'll see Tony in his late teens. It would be very unlike Chase to betray the original timeline of the show. We've already visited Newark in the late '60s at the time of the riots when Tony, as a little boy, hid in the trunk of his Dad's car and followed him and Janice to the carnival/gambling operation. Just my opinion, but I think it betrays the original series if Tony is suddenly 17 years old here. That puts him at about Silvio's age (or at least Stevie Van Zandt's), and less than a decade younger than Paulie (Tony Sirico). Tony's age was clearly stated on more than one occasion on the show. He was a young boss (The Boy King in Feech's words). He would have been born in 1959 or 1960 (Gandolfini was born in 1961). Maybe it shouldn't bother me but I know it will (if that's indeed the case).
Posted By: hoodlum

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 12/05/19 03:39 AM

Fu----g Smokin!

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 12/09/19 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by MeyerLansky
am i the only one who excited more from the music we are going to get then the movie himself tongue lol

I don't know about that, but the music of that time 60s and 70s and knowing the music taste of Chase it will def add something.
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 12/09/19 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by Hollander

I don't know about that, but the music of that time 60s and 70s and knowing the music taste of Chase it will def add something.

I think Chase is heavily influenced by Scorsese in the way he uses period pop music. Should be great.

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 12/09/19 02:49 AM

Yep

‘Sopranos’ Prequel: Michael Imperioli Reacts to ‘The Many Saints of Newark’ – Exclusive
https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertai...he-many-saints-of-newark-exclusive.html/

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 02/17/20 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by pizzaboy
I'm thinking this film's timeline almost has to carry into the mid '70s and that's where we'll see Tony in his late teens. It would be very unlike Chase to betray the original timeline of the show. We've already visited Newark in the late '60s at the time of the riots when Tony, as a little boy, hid in the trunk of his Dad's car and followed him and Janice to the carnival/gambling operation. Just my opinion, but I think it betrays the original series if Tony is suddenly 17 years old here. That puts him at about Silvio's age (or at least Stevie Van Zandt's), and less than a decade younger than Paulie (Tony Sirico). Tony's age was clearly stated on more than one occasion on the show. He was a young boss (The Boy King in Feech's words). He would have been born in 1959 or 1960 (Gandolfini was born in 1961). Maybe it shouldn't bother me but I know it will (if that's indeed the case).

They did fuck it up a little. Tony in the series was born in 1959. As such the segments with young Gandolfini playing Tony should take place in the middle to late 70s. They're set in 1971 instead, when Tony would've been 12.

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 03/13/20 02:42 PM

Michael Gandolfini films additional scene:

https://pagesix.com/2020/03/12/mich...n-the-many-saints-of-newark-fight-scene/

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 03/13/20 02:51 PM

This pretty much confirms Billy Magnussen as Paulie. The gray wings are just coming in.

Attached picture Paulie.jpg

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 03/13/20 10:21 PM

You could look at James Gandolfini, or 95% of the main players in The Sopranos, and imagine that they would've fought in their younger days, or knew how to fight, but I don't get that impression from his son - not his fault growing up the son of a millionaire.

I'm not enamored with much of the casting TBH - barely anyone in this is ethnically Italian whereas virtually all of The Sopranos main cast was Italian - but I trust David Chase knows what he's doing.

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 03/15/20 06:56 PM

Agreed, he looks a bit too soft. He needs toughening up! But he's probably playing Tony as a 14 year old or thereabouts, when Tony was transitioning from a "little fat kid" to an up and coming hoodlum.

Here's some more pics from the additional shooting. The blonde has gotta be young Carmela. Spittting image!

Attached picture newark 1.jpg
Attached picture newark 2.jpg
Attached picture newark 3.jpg

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 03/29/20 06:19 PM

The one thing this movie could suffer from is a lack of great older actors. I get this feeling Sirico and those guys were the last generation that knew how to play these old mob guys. We'll see what kind of wiseguy Joey Coco Diaz plays.

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 04/04/20 09:08 AM

That has got to be the infamous fight between Tony and Dominic Tedesco that made Carmela fall for T.

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 04/04/20 04:55 PM

Doesn't look like it's in front of Pizza World and she doesn't look blown away, more like "Get awfffa him TONEEEEY!!!!" Maybe that's Mustang Sally's Dad and he put too many onions on T's sandwich or some shit.
Posted By: Michael_Giovanni

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 04/20/20 07:43 PM

The new release date for ‘The Many Saints Of Newark’ has been announced as March 12, 2021

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/batman-sopranos-movie-release-dates-173055591.html

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 04/22/20 10:21 AM

I read somewhere else that they were doing re-shoots. That’s not always a good sign...

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 04/22/20 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by LuanKuci
I read somewhere else that they were doing re-shoots. That’s not always a good sign...

Why?

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 09/21/20 10:53 PM

https://pagesix.com/2020/09/21/core...ranos-prequel-the-many-saints-of-newark/

Attached picture junior.jpg

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 09/21/20 11:07 PM

And this image

Attached picture aIe30s_1lk4IWhDZnYIVT3AiHyO7X8g7JKdi9bsit7o.jpg

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 09/24/20 03:52 PM

Wonder why Uncle June has a cane. And what are those guys eating? I was leaning toward Liotta possibly playing "Old Man DiMeo", but he'd be at the head of the table there and not Johnny Boy.....probably not right in the timeline of the show anyways as he was still alive when the show began as a guest of the government.
Posted By: Stugotz

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 11/06/20 08:58 PM

Did I read that they were cancelling this due to the Liberal Hollywierd types not wanting to inflame racial tensions during these "trying" times? What a load of shit if it's true...

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 11/07/20 08:25 PM

F*ckin Koreans.

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 11/12/20 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by Stugotz
Did I read that they were cancelling this due to the Liberal Hollywierd types not wanting to inflame racial tensions during these "trying" times?

No, you didn't.

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 11/12/20 03:54 PM

4 months out. Wonder when we can expect a trailer. The Batman's not coming out till 2022 and its already had two. o_O

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 11/12/20 04:20 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdNYes6rutQ

Someone posted this in the youtube video above.

Jon Bernthal - Johnny boy Soprano
Corey Stoll - Junior Soprano
Vera Farmiga - Livia Soprano
Alessandro Nivola - Dickie Moltisanti
Ray Liotta - Aldo Moltisanti
John Magaro - Silvio Dante
Billy Magnussen - Paulie Gualtieri
Michela De Rossi - Giuseppina Bruno
Leslie Odom Jr. - Harold
Samson Moeakiola - Pussy Bonpensiero
Alexandra Intrator - Janice Soprano
Michael Gandolfini - Tony Soprano
Joey Diaz - Lino Bonpensiero

While it seems legit take it with a grain of salt.

This thread from 2018 has some info on Aldo Moltisante and Giuseppina Bruno:

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?p=14830711

"Quote:
We can also reveal that filming on the Sopranos prequel is set to begin in early March of 2019, so casting announcements will be forthcoming over the next couple of months!

Young Tony

Of course it wouldn’t be a Sopranos project if Tony weren’t involved. The Many Saints of Newark will seemingly take place over the course of several years and the studio will be looking to cast multiple actors in the role of Tony. When the film begins, Tony is a first generation 9-year old boy with a passion for the Yankees. The film will follow Tony to age 16 where he is described as a “budding linebacker” with long hair and bellbottoms. According to Sopranos’ canon, Tony was born on August 24, 1959, so we can look forward to seeing the film take place between 1968 and 1975.

This setting would find Tony’s father, Johnny Boy, and his Uncle Junior in their primes working under Dominic DiMeo, the original Boss of the DiMeo Familiy that Tony eventually led. It would also take place near the death of a character that was the inciting factor for a key relationship of the original series…

Dickie Moltisanti

A foot solider for the DiMeo family, Dickie was a minor character in the series, but it was his death and subsequent absence that lead Tony to take in and mentor Dickie’s young son, Christopher. Dickie will be a young man here and while he’s not among the characters we have found out about, it’s almost a certainty that a young Christopher will be present here.

Canonically, Dickie is the first cousin to Tony’s wife, Carmela, and his wife, Joanne, is a Blundetto, making their son Christopher a cousin to the Blundettos, just as Tony is. After Dickie’s death, Tony took care of Christopher, calling him his nephew, though Christopher’s longtime girlfriend Adriana indicated that Christopher and Tony did have a blood relation. In this film, Dickie is described as Tony’s uncle, and a new character may reveal the blood connection described above.

Aldo Moltisanti

By all accounts Aldo Moltisanti is an entirely new character and, presumably, the link to the blood relation of Christopher and Tony. Described as an “elegant wiseguy” in his mid-60s, Aldo is revealed as Tony’s grandfather! The implications here could be huge. We know (or at least we think we do) that Tony’s father, Johnny Boy Soprano, was one of 3 sons born to Corrado and Mariangela Soprano. However, little information is known about the familial connections of Tony’s mother, Livia. In the film, Aldo is newly married to 24 year old Giuseppina Bruno, leaving us guessing as to whom he was previously married and what it might reveal, if anything, about Tony’s lineage.
Source."

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 11/12/20 04:45 PM

Tony 1967, 1975, 1999.

And Tony and Artie.

Attached picture tony.jpg
Attached picture tony artie.jpg

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 12/18/20 05:05 PM

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...-the-emotional-many-saints-of-newark-set

Interview with John Magaro, confirmed to be playing Silvio Dante.

Attached picture silvio.jpg
Posted By: alicecooper

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 01/01/21 09:53 PM

Check it out, james gandolfinis first role

https://youtu.be/ZYYTCgOhRkU

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 01/14/21 07:55 AM

Motherfucker....

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/sopranos-many-saints-of-newark-release-date-delay-1234878777/

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 01/18/21 11:36 AM

You knew this was coming, if they aren't done filming this gives Gandolfini Jr plenty of time to pack on the pounds - he is too skinny, he needs to look like a zeppole with legs, a walking heart attack like his old man.
Posted By: Dob_Peppino

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 01/18/21 12:04 PM

Not on do they have to live up to a classic show, but now its postponed for a year. I smell disappointment coming.

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 01/26/21 05:07 PM

It was coming because of Covid. This is NOT the only movie pushed back. Even Top Gun got pushed back as well as some other big movies.

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 01/27/21 04:32 PM

Now the official date has been moved to 9/24/21

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 01/27/21 04:33 PM

They also are renaming it to. " NEWARK".

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 01/27/21 09:00 PM

Not much but a little piece of teaser footage is here. Hope its a sign of a trailer coming soon.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8XyfAPb3yQQ

Not thrilled with the modern blue orange color timing. What's wrong with natural like the rest of the series? Tho that came out before all the blue-orange nonsense started.
Posted By: MonsterUSMC

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 02/11/21 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Dob_Peppino

Not on do they have to live up to a classic show, but now its postponed for a year. I smell disappointment coming.

I really hope not, but I fear you are right. It is hard not to have sky-high expectations for this movie. I am really hoping it doesn't disappoint.

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 02/24/21 10:47 PM

If David Chase wasn't involved, my hopes would be minimal. I think it'll be fine, plus Chase has had an unprecedented opportunity to fine tune the hell out it should there have been anything wrong with the project.

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 03/25/21 02:24 PM

For the third time... Only six more months to go!

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 06/25/21 06:16 PM

https://www.ign.com/articles/dune-delayed-many-saints-of-newark

Delayed again! But this time only for a week. Now due October 1.

You know how long my brother's been on the waiting list for this movie? A motherfucking year.
Posted By: Giacomo_Vacari

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 06/26/21 05:36 AM

This is one on my list.

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 06/27/21 02:22 AM

If David Chase wasn't involved, my hopes would be minimal. I think it'll be fine, plus Chase has had an unprecedented opportunity to fine tune the hell out it should there have been anything wrong with the project.

Some of the plotlines later in the show tended to lag a little but Chase hit the finale out of the park, despite the criticism of the ending.

I still think Frank Renzulli was the best writer on the show. Season 2 felt like it has the best balance between mob stories and Tony's personal family, and it was mostly written by Renzulli. The Scatino storyline is probably my favorite.

My fear regarding Many Saints is that David Chase will do something like Not Fade Away and focus too much on what he's nostalgic for, but he's always treated the mob with a sense of cynicism on the show, which makes the story and dialogue more realistic and interesting, so I think he'll do it here, too.
Posted By: Giacalone

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 06/29/21 05:56 PM

Trailer looks good cool

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 06/29/21 05:59 PM

Minor spoiler
Sil wears a rug!

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 06/29/21 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Giacalone
Trailer looks good cool

thanks !
yeah it really looks good !

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 06/30/21 12:49 AM

Gandolfini's son is not a good actor.
Posted By: Malavita

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 06/30/21 08:22 AM

The trailer is better than I expected.

I am also not convinced on Gandolfini's son in this role although i liked him in "Deuce"

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 06/30/21 05:08 PM

i wonder if we are going to see richie aprile too in the movie

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 07/02/21 05:53 PM

Looks great!!! Seems like they go back to familiar places. I guess we learn a lot more about the past of the Moltisantis and Sopranos.
Posted By: SimonChen

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 07/12/21 03:44 PM

Is Ray Liotta playing Ercole Dimeo in this movie?

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 07/12/21 08:15 PM

Take it with a grain of salt, I read a while ago that Liotta was rumored to portray Alfano, one of the founders of the family along with Ercole DiMeo. Alfano was never mentioned in the series but he’s in the Sopranos History book by Chase.

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 07/12/21 10:49 PM

On the "Talking Sopranos" podcast, Imperioli revealed that Liotta is playing "Hollywood" Dick Moltisanti, a previously unmentioned character, Dickie's father and Chris' grandfather. I think they are doing a bit of a retcon here with him and Livia being brother and sister as well. They still haven't said who Joey Diaz is playing, but I'm going to have to assume that he's Big Pussy's father or uncle, some relation. Young Puss is sitting next to Paulie in the car in the trailer too, btw.

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 07/15/21 01:30 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdNYes6rutQ

Someone posted this in the youtube video above.

Jon Bernthal - Johnny boy Soprano
Corey Stoll - Junior Soprano
Vera Farmiga - Livia Soprano
Alessandro Nivola - Dickie Moltisanti
Ray Liotta - Aldo Moltisanti
John Magaro - Silvio Dante
Billy Magnussen - Paulie Gualtieri
Michela De Rossi - Giuseppina Bruno
Leslie Odom Jr. - Harold
Samson Moeakiola - Pussy Bonpensiero
Alexandra Intrator - Janice Soprano
Michael Gandolfini - Tony Soprano
Joey Diaz - Lino Bonpensiero

While it seems legit take it with a grain of salt.

This thread from 2018 has some info on Aldo Moltisante and Giuseppina Bruno:

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?p=14830711

"Quote:
We can also reveal that filming on the Sopranos prequel is set to begin in early March of 2019, so casting announcements will be forthcoming over the next couple of months!

Young Tony

Of course it wouldn’t be a Sopranos project if Tony weren’t involved. The Many Saints of Newark will seemingly take place over the course of several years and the studio will be looking to cast multiple actors in the role of Tony. When the film begins, Tony is a first generation 9-year old boy with a passion for the Yankees. The film will follow Tony to age 16 where he is described as a “budding linebacker” with long hair and bellbottoms. According to Sopranos’ canon, Tony was born on August 24, 1959, so we can look forward to seeing the film take place between 1968 and 1975.

This setting would find Tony’s father, Johnny Boy, and his Uncle Junior in their primes working under Dominic DiMeo, the original Boss of the DiMeo Familiy that Tony eventually led. It would also take place near the death of a character that was the inciting factor for a key relationship of the original series…

Dickie Moltisanti

A foot solider for the DiMeo family, Dickie was a minor character in the series, but it was his death and subsequent absence that lead Tony to take in and mentor Dickie’s young son, Christopher. Dickie will be a young man here and while he’s not among the characters we have found out about, it’s almost a certainty that a young Christopher will be present here.

Canonically, Dickie is the first cousin to Tony’s wife, Carmela, and his wife, Joanne, is a Blundetto, making their son Christopher a cousin to the Blundettos, just as Tony is. After Dickie’s death, Tony took care of Christopher, calling him his nephew, though Christopher’s longtime girlfriend Adriana indicated that Christopher and Tony did have a blood relation. In this film, Dickie is described as Tony’s uncle, and a new character may reveal the blood connection described above.

Aldo Moltisanti

By all accounts Aldo Moltisanti is an entirely new character and, presumably, the link to the blood relation of Christopher and Tony. Described as an “elegant wiseguy” in his mid-60s, Aldo is revealed as Tony’s grandfather! The implications here could be huge. We know (or at least we think we do) that Tony’s father, Johnny Boy Soprano, was one of 3 sons born to Corrado and Mariangela Soprano. However, little information is known about the familial connections of Tony’s mother, Livia. In the film, Aldo is newly married to 24 year old Giuseppina Bruno, leaving us guessing as to whom he was previously married and what it might reveal, if anything, about Tony’s lineage.
Source."

Seeing as this has been correct on all counts so far, I guess this all but confirms Joey Diaz is playing Lino Bonpensiero. Not surprising. It's a heck of a resemblance!

The only unknown now is who Tony Lip's son is playing. Carmine Lupertazzi or his father? Fat Jerry Anastasia?

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 07/15/21 08:04 PM

Well that’s interesting. I didn’t expect the series’ universe to be altered. Then I guess anything can happen. I just hope that we get to see some mob dynamics with new characters, and the racial clashes taking the back seat.

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 08/02/21 09:05 PM

David Chase Has Some Ideas About Our Continued Sopranos Obsessions
A generation ago, the landmark show and its creator blew up our idea of TV. With a new movie prequel, The Many Saints of Newark, on the way this fall, the showrunner returns to the scene of the crime.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2021/07/david-chase-on-our-continued-sopranos-obsessions

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 08/13/21 03:47 AM

A sequel could be in the works. Nothing official but Chase is considering it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.in...el-more-sopranos-content-1234657664/amp/

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 09/02/21 11:55 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7fwCbLUcj8

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 09/08/21 10:48 PM

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 09/11/21 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Hollander

looks great !
Posted By: Kese

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 09/11/21 07:16 PM

any idea whats with the black guy? hope his characters not just some forced Hollywood BS
Posted By: Louiebynochi

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 09/11/21 09:10 PM

After the movie chase is going to be making an HBO Show about the rise of Tony Soprano in the mob... basically a prequel series to The Sopranos....

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 09/12/21 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Louiebynochi
After the movie chase is going to be making an HBO Show about the rise of Tony Soprano in the mob... basically a prequel series to The Sopranos....

Wow really ?!?!
Where did you hear that ??

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 09/12/21 05:07 PM

All that's been discussed so far is a sequel movie following Many Saints of Newark. Chase has said he would be interested if another if the show's writer/director's expressed interest. Terence Winter has thrown his hat in and is onboard. If this movie does well, it could happen.

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 09/12/21 05:39 PM

All that's been discussed so far is a sequel movie following Many Saints of Newark. Chase has said he would be interested if another if the show's writer/director's expressed interest. Terence Winter has thrown his hat in and is onboard. If this movie does well, it could happen.

Cool
Thanks !

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 09/12/21 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Kese123
any idea whats with the black guy? hope his characters not just some forced Hollywood BS

Harold McBrayer, who worked as a numbers runner for Dickie Moltisanti, and has since ventured off to start his own criminal operation.
Posted By: CleanBandit

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 09/13/21 08:28 PM

Damn another show in the Sopranos universe would be so fucking great. I hope it won't be too PC though, given the current state of TV. Maybe they throw in young Vito discovering his "preferences" lol.

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 09/14/21 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by CleanBandit
Damn another show in the Sopranos universe would be so fucking great. I hope it won't be too PC though, given the current state of TV. Maybe they throw in young Vito discovering his "preferences" lol.

Chase hasn't made up his mind yet I think, but has plenty of ideas. A show covering the 80s woulde be nice IMO.
Posted By: Louiebynochi

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 09/17/21 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by Louiebynochi

Wow really ?!?!
Where did you hear that ??

Friend that works at Brillstein They are the agents for David Chase...as long as the movie does what it’s predicted to do in terms of numbers This is 100%. Tony Soprano rise in the mob. Prequel show....

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 09/22/21 11:38 PM

The Many Saints Of Newark whacks all the humor, dimension, and weirdness out of The Sopranos
David Chase's slick prequel to his hit HBO series is a massive letdown

https://www.avclub.com/the-many-saints-of-newark-whacks-all-the-humor-dimensi-1847715847

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 09/24/21 03:50 PM

According to the cast list on imdb Nick Vallelonga and Joey Diaz are finally confirmed to play Jerry "Fat Jerry" Anastasia and Lino "Buddha" Bonpensiero respectively.

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 09/30/21 01:56 PM

Thought I'd ask:

How will you be watching this? At home on HBO Max? Or at the theater? Me, I'll at first see it at home on my TV where I saw the rest of the Sopranos. If it's real good I'll see it again in theaters.

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 10/01/21 11:26 AM

Watching in the theaters. The movies are not packed like they use too. The big blockbusters are the ones that draws the crowd, half or a little bit more filled up at least once since the pandemic, normally it is a dozen to two dozen people in the theaters, so not so bad.

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 10/01/21 09:24 PM

I'm watching it tonight at home on HBO max. The wife is going to dinner and a show for her birthday with my mother in law and I got the house to myself most of the night.

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 10/01/21 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Michael_Giovanni
I'm watching it tonight at home on HBO max. The wife is going to dinner and a show for her birthday with my mother in law and I got the house to myself most of the night.

enjoy it my friend !
it's a great movie !
Posted By: CleanBandit

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 10/02/21 05:19 AM

It will be in our our theaters (Croatia) October 7th and I'll for sure go see it either that day or on Monday. Already made plans with a friend who's a huge Sopranos fan as well!
Posted By: Tru_Bizelli

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 10/02/21 12:21 PM

"The Many Saints of Newark" was a pretty good movie, but didn't live up to my expectations. Could have been better. With that said, parts were really good, but other parts could have been better. The cast and the way they depicted "The Sopranos" characters was the best I've ever seen this done in a movie; almost freakishly close to the Sopranos characters, including voices and maneurisms! I won't give anything a way. It's definitely worth a watch! Let me know what ya think! I really hope there is a sequel, which I hear may be in talks.

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 10/02/21 08:32 PM

I watched about an hour and 5 minutes before turning it off. I didn't like it at all. The younger versions of the cast was like a SNL skit. I rolled my eyes at the "varsity athlete comment".

Getting killed after getting your head slammed up against a steering wheel 5 or 6 times. Give me a break.

The last 2 great "mafia, gangster movies" The Irishman, and Many Saints of Newark I didnt even finish the first watch.

Dissapointed.
Posted By: Tru_Bizelli

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 10/03/21 04:12 AM

enjoy it my friend !
it's a great movie !

That was me at 4am yesterday haha
I never realized HBO Max had so many great movies!

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 10/03/21 07:38 PM

I watched about an hour and 5 minutes before turning it off. I didn't like it at all. The younger versions of the cast was like a SNL skit. I rolled my eyes at the "varsity athlete comment".

Getting killed after getting your head slammed up against a steering wheel 5 or 6 times. Give me a break.

The last 2 great "mafia, gangster movies" The Irishman, and Many Saints of Newark I didnt even finish the first watch.

Dissapointed.

I chalk that scene up to blood thinners in the car. Dickie is a lot younger and stronger, while Aldo is up there in years and is more fragile than he use to be.

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 10/03/21 08:25 PM

I liked it a lot better the second time i watched it. Everything made more sense and came together. What helped me was turning on the subtitles. The sound mix is terrible, as it is for a lot of movies and shows the last 5 plus years. Seems dialogue is the least important part of the mix for Hollywood these days. The music, the sound effects, bass levels, and background noise are at max volume at the front of the speakers while dialogue is mixed so low to the back. Anyway the movie came together for me once I knew what the hell everyone was saying.

The movie certainly could have used some breathing room with some smaller character moments with Paulie, Pussy, Johnny, and Janice. Don't know why Chase had such a stick up his ass about it being no more than 2 hours. A reaction to "The Irishman"? I wouldn't have wanted it to be that long mind you, but maybe an extra 10 to 30 minutes longer to flesh things out.

The acting was incredible from almost everyone, especially Michael as Tony. He absolutely nailed it! He captured the essence of Tony and dialed it back 30 years. So believable as a teenage Tony. Same with Billy Magnussen as Paulie. So believable as a younger, less neurotic Paulie. Vera Farmiga was awesome.

John Magaro...well he nailed it as Sil. Problem is it's the late middle aged Sil we knew from the series, specifically season 6 when he really became cartoonish, not 20 something Sil. He'll need to work on that for a sequel if there is one.

Overall I think this is a solid 4 stars out of 5.

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 10/04/21 06:23 AM

I'm not sure I understood the situation of everyone in the family when the movie takes place:
- Johnny Boy Soprano is a a capo or a soldier ?
- Junior is a soldier ?
- Dickie is a soldier or an associate ?
- Sil, Paulie and Pussy are associates

We don't really see the whole DiMeo family, just Johnny's crew basically.
Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 10/04/21 10:56 AM

A poor film. I wrote about it here: https://letterboxd.com/joblard/film/the-many-saints-of-newark/

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 10/04/21 04:08 PM

Yes all we see in the movie is Johnny's crew, with the exception of Eckley DiMeo at Buddha's funeral. At least I think that's supposed to be him. He is quite elderly for someone who's supposed to be 74 in 1999, so 46 in 1971. But everyone's ages are all over the place in this film. I watched it again last night, and I'm downgrading my review to 3 and a half stars out of 5. Where the hell does Johnny go during the shoot out?? Dickie goes back into the restaurant alone, followed by Harold. And Johnny just disappears after that.

From what I can tell with the hierarchy. Johnny is definitely Capo as he talks about kicking up his end to "Boot" DiMeo who's living up at his mansion with Joe DMaggio visiting. Junior seems to be his soldier as he becomes acting Capo while Johnny's away. He must get his own crew sometime in the 70s. Or maybe he is a Capo and just hangs out with his brother's crew a lot. I don't think we ever see him kick up to Johnny, and he does talk to DiMeo.

I think Dickie is also a soldier given Sil, Paulie, Pussy, and Harold work for him, and Dickie kicks up directly to Johnny. But it's strange that he would jump over his father, Aldo, an associate who given his age probably goes back to Prohibition, and is also the crew's biggest earner. Why is Aldo not made yet?

I figured Buddha was a soldier until Dickie punched him out with no reprisal from his capo Johnny who's standing right there. You do not hit a made guy. So Buddha is an associate?

Carmine Cotuso, Nick Vallelonga's character, may be a soldier. We're not given much info.

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 10/04/21 07:55 PM

It did not make any sense that Aldo was not made. One explanation could be that because his brother killed a made guy he wouldn't be given his button. That would explain why Aldo was not talking to his brother.

One thing that was weird is when Dickie gives an envelop to Johnny in front of everybody at Janice's party. Surely there's a more appropriate moment to kick up to your skipper than when he is around all his family members at a party for his kid.

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 10/05/21 04:56 AM

Kicking up envelopes during personal family gatherings was common back in the day, you just don't look in it until after the event is over or you leave early.

My conclusion is the same, that because Salvatore killed a made member in the family, the punishment would be Salvatore would serve his term in prison, while Aldo would never receive is button.

Dickie is made. Buddha is also made. That scene in front of the club where Dickie socked Buddha in front of Johnny Boy, is that Dickie could have asked for anything after Buddha insulted his goomah. A made man back in those days would not stand for it, and Johnny Boy would consider the matter settled as long as Buddha didn't make anymore insults, and Dickie would not put his hands on Buddha. Before that matter was settled, we know what happens during the moment.

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 10/05/21 07:53 PM

If you read all the reviews on imdb you would think it's the worst film of the year. I disagree I thought it was pretty cool, but a movie is different in a series you can take your time to build the characters now it felt more like a long pilot episode.

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 10/06/21 10:06 PM

Good points Malavita and Giacomo. Clears that up!

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 10/10/21 10:04 PM

The movie seems to directly set up a sequel, I really hope they are going for a series!
Posted By: Kese

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 10/10/21 11:35 PM

I felt like BLM wrote this movie. This review sums up my opinion on this garbage
Posted By: merlino

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 10/11/21 04:08 PM

Keese I totally agree that they tried to make this a woke version and rewriting history of how it actually was in the US and Newark in the 60's

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 10/11/21 05:11 PM

I was a bit disappointed in this movie. I was very excited and I think there were some good things in it, I thought it could have been WAY better. Some quick thoughts:

1. It seemed like two movies. The riot/black gangster angle and the actuallly Dickie. Literally almost an hour dedicated to each.
2. Where was the mentorship? I saw literally nothing where Tony might have gleaned anything from Dickie. Stealing an ice cream truck and a weak numbers operation in grade school is not mentorship.
3. Missed opportunity of making Dickie a larger than life character. We love mythic heroes and villains. Dickie seemed very regular to me. Just saying he was an associate that brought in more"scharol" than any made guy doesn't do it. We need to see it. Where is his empire making? Why did they not show him go up to New England and single handedly take out the crew up there? Missed opportunities to make hime the anti-hero that Tony Soprano came.
4. Where was his additction? That would have provided more character development for Dickie. Two scenes of him nipping a vodka pint ai'nt enough. He was supposed to be like Christopher with this addictions.
5. The guy who shot him - was he the cop that Tony said to Christopher in The Sopranos? If so, we needed to see him at least once. Not a fan of "why" he was shot either. If it was a jealousy thing, that needed to be fleshed out more.

Ultimately, to me the movie was missed opportunity. It would have been bettter to focus on Dickie Moltisanti and his relationship with Tony. We didn't need to see all the characters in their younger years. It ate up too much time for no payoff.

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 10/11/21 05:12 PM

I'm prettyh sure Christopher said in teh beginning voice over that DIckie was not made just an associate who made more money than any of the made guys.

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 10/11/21 05:15 PM

I will say I thought Alessandro did a great job; Livia was good; and Michael G was good (which there was more for him to sink his teeth into), Sil was good too...

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 10/11/21 09:05 PM

This guy is having a meltdown over this lol

Posted By: Longneck

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 10/12/21 06:44 AM

I was disappointed in this movie. I watched it again hoping it would be better the second time. It wasn't.

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 10/12/21 09:06 AM

after watching the movie for the second time
i change my opinion
it's bad
not so bad like people are saying
i mean if it overall as a movie it's pretty decent movie
but as a sopranos prequel then it's bad

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 10/12/21 10:01 AM

I just finished watching it for the second time as well. It's definitely not realistic, but I was entertained by it. Yeah you'd never have black guys doing business inside Satriale's lol

I just hope they leave the franchise alone, but it looks like they either wanna do a series or another movie

6/10
Posted By: TheKillingJoke

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 10/12/21 07:19 PM

Well this movie was quite a fail wasn't it

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 10/14/21 09:12 PM

I just finished watching it for the second time as well. It's definitely not realistic, but I was entertained by it. Yeah you'd never have black guys doing business inside Satriale's lol

I just hope they leave the franchise alone, but it looks like they either wanna do a series or another movie

6/10

The story wasn't that great and i missed the humor I liked the acting and the music was great, I want to see more from this cast a series would be best.
Posted By: eastsideofvan

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 10/15/21 12:11 AM

I was underwhelmed.

Much of the technical detail, period-era costumes and set, the principal photography, the direction was all very good. With notable exceptions, the performances were mostly pretty good too. The exceptions to me were the cartoonish-like depictions of young Paulie and Silvio. (By the way, would Silvio be that much older than Tony? I was surprised by that a bit.) The failing I think lies in the script. Like producer Robert Evans once said; "if it isn't on the page, it sure as hell isn't going to be on the screen."

It felt like it was primarily Chase and company trying to make good on some of the backstories covered in 6 seasons worth of television; i.e. Junior's quipping that Tony never had the makings of a varsity athlete or Johnny Boy shooting the bullet through Livia's beehive hairdo. Most of those types of lines and scenes seemed to me to have no other purpose than to reward a loyal audience with depicted accounts of backstories we had come to know from following the series. As soon as I saw the scene begin in the convertible I even had a sense that he was going to shoot through her hair. I don't think that scene did anything to advance the plot.

A film like this, I think, has to complete the difficult task of being faithful to the series canon but also be able to stand on its' own two feet as a singular work of art. I didn't think it was able to do that. Someone who had never seen the Sopranos would have found this story, I think, shallow and inconclusive.

It didn't seem to pick a direction, the way that Goodfellas follows Henry's journey from outsider to insider to outcast (setting aside how much it aggrandized Hill) - it was partly about Dickie Moltisanti, partly about a young Tony Soprano and partly about the racial divide in Newark of that time. Each an interesting subject on its own, but I don't think the scriptwriter effectively tied any of these elements together.

Altogether, I think it's biggest and most surprising failing is that it simply wasn't memorable. After an episode of the Sopranos, I would be replaying scenes from the last episode in my head for the whole next week. I feel like I've already forgotten most of Many Saints of Newark.

For me, it's a solid 2 out of 4 stars. I'll watch it again on Netflix on some future rainy day, but I won't be going out of my way to see it again.

Posted By: boomboomroom

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 10/17/21 06:03 PM

Posted By: merlino

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 10/18/21 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Two_Times
I was a bit disappointed in this movie. I was very excited and I think there were some good things in it, I thought it could have been WAY better. Some quick thoughts:

1. It seemed like two movies. The riot/black gangster angle and the actuallly Dickie. Literally almost an hour dedicated to each.
2. Where was the mentorship? I saw literally nothing where Tony might have gleaned anything from Dickie. Stealing an ice cream truck and a weak numbers operation in grade school is not mentorship.
Two scenes of him nipping a vodka pint ai'nt enough. He was supposed to be like Christopher with this addictions.
5. The guy who shot him - was he the cop that Tony said to Christopher in The Sopranos? If so, we needed to see him at least once. Not a fan of "why" he was shot either. If it was a jealousy thing, that needed to be fleshed out more.

Well stated.....why show him getting shot and still not knowing the entire truth. Spot on with the 2 movies, wonder if today in Hollywood it is a directive to make the movies with either females or minorities in the movies and mess up history. The movie based around a race riot was pretty stupid; seems like there could have been some hijacking or beef with NY rather than the crap they threw up...

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 10/24/21 08:48 PM

6/10

The Sopranos wasn't realistic, either. Tony, a boss, committing murders, making collections beating people, etc.

There's a difference between "realism" and "reality". Realism only needs plausibility. Could this person do something like this, etc. Not whether some of their stature would do it, but just whether it's something they would do, personally. They have Tony killing people to show the audience how bad he is. Because much of the show includes his wife and children. If they never had him commit a murder, the audience would be left to wonder whether he really is that bad. Garroting someone on his daughter's college trip leaves no doubt. Just like they show Junior present for the Palmice hit. Not realistic, but shows the realism as to what Junior is capable of morally. He's not just some grouchy old man who runs a couple of unions and sports books. He's a killer.

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 10/24/21 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by boomboomroom

Sopranos are mostly based on Jersey Genovese. Season 1 was based on Decavs.
Posted By: DonJon

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 11/05/21 06:03 PM

From my point of view, I enjoyed the throw backs and what not.

Livia's portrayal was excellent
Tony, Johnny, Dickie, Junior, and Janice were very good.

Sil was terrible. His voice was way off and he looked and sounded like a cartoon character.

As a standalone the movie was poor. If you were a Sopranos fan it was pretty good, maybe 7 out of 10.

I'd like to see them do another one with Mike G going through the steps of getting involved in the life.

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 11/07/21 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by OakAsFan

Sopranos are mostly based on Jersey Genovese. Season 1 was based on Decavs.

Yes Tony Soprano has his family roots in Avellino. Most Genovese in NJ also.

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 04/01/22 01:16 PM

Chase stated that based on the success of this movie they’d think of continuing the storylines in a period series. In all honesty the movie was a let down, none of what I watched made me crave for more and, on top of that, I don’t what yet another mob series/movie set in the 70s. That period of the mob has been covered and done several times already.

I’d be much more interested in a Lupertazzi spin-off set in the 1990s.

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 04/02/22 04:13 AM

Many Saints really got hurt due to Covid and not having Terrence Winter on board.
Posted By: ThisGuyOverHere

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 06/08/22 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by dixiemafia
Many Saints really got hurt due to Covid and not having Terrence Winter on board.

Another thing that it had going against it was that it was horrible and nothing more than fan service.

Re: The Official "The Many Saints of Newark" Thread - 07/19/22 03:34 PM

The movie pretty much sucked - that ugly broad from Italy started the mess - couldn't find a better looking woman? I've been to Italy and there are some great looking women there, poor job filling that roll. Plus no Italian woman in the '60's was going to fool around with a black man, no way in hell, no chance.

Injecting "wokeness" in this movie was a bad choice as well, could have done without any black actors in this film, they added zero to the plot.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET