Home

"Old man Profaci knew how to split his enemies"

Posted By: OakAsFan

"Old man Profaci knew how to split his enemies" - 01/21/18 04:18 PM

Obviously, Junior is referring to Joe Profaci, boss of what would eventually be the Colombo family.

He makes this comment to Bobby after Richie fails to get the Bareses on board with killing Tony.

Anyone know which incident(s) he's referring to regarding Profaci?

Here's the scene:

Posted By: WhackWhack

Re: "Old man Profaci knew how to split his enemies" - 01/29/18 08:36 PM

I always wondered what he meant by that also. And I liked how he referred to Profaci as old man when he died in his early 60s, not necessarily old at all. When I think of old I think of Sonny Franzese or Don Carlo in the early to mid 1970s.

Re: "Old man Profaci knew how to split his enemies" - 01/30/18 08:06 PM

I'm thinking maybe Gallo and Anastasia? Although whatever spoils Profaci got out of that were short lived.
Posted By: MeyerLansky

Re: "Old man Profaci knew how to split his enemies" - 01/31/18 01:14 AM

i think gallo also
they probably refer to the beef they had
Posted By: Fleming_Ave

Re: "Old man Profaci knew how to split his enemies" - 02/01/18 01:19 AM

Probably it was the Gallos. IIRC, one of the guys on the Gallo side switched loyalty to Profaci, and lured Larry Gallo to the meeting where he was almost killed.

Re: "Old man Profaci knew how to split his enemies" - 02/01/18 03:49 AM

I was drawing the Anastasia connection based on Junior and Tony's argument earlier in the season about how the old guys weren't always so "amicable".

"There were exceptions", says Junior. No kidding...

Another great line delivered by Junior, whatever the case. Nice obscure reference. Profaci. lol. Who talks about him? They could of played it safe with a Gotti reference. The excessive Gotti references in season 1 were cringe worthy. By season 2 the writers added some depth to the characters' shop talk.
Posted By: NickyfromTampa

Re: "Old man Profaci knew how to split his enemies" - 02/04/18 09:29 PM

Fleming_Ave that man in question was Carmine Persico who was a top player among the Gallo Bros. and the faction, a group of young upstarts who were incensed by Profaci's extensive tributes demanded to him. Profaci cut a deal with Persico who lured one of the Gallos (can't remember who) to a meeting in a bar he owned and tried to strangle him with a garrote. Unfortunately a cop walked in at just the wrong time and the Gallo escaped, earning Persico the nickname 'the Snake.' That is almost certainly what Profaci was referring to since it was such a famous moment for the future boss of the Colombo crime family (who is the boss to this day, having held the title since 1973).
Posted By: Giacomo_Vacari

Re: "Old man Profaci knew how to split his enemies" - 02/12/18 06:22 AM

The Gallo brothers, Joseph Spatoliatore, the Newark crime family and the Scaduto brothers come to mind.

Re: "Old man Profaci knew how to split his enemies" - 06/03/18 05:51 PM

What the hell, Giacomo? You answer the question in another thread. lol.

Newark did have it own family. It was disbanded by the commission through Joe Profaci, and the family was split between the 5 NYC families, Philadelphia family, and the Decavalcante family. It was powerful, but there were frictions from the old Maranzano and Masseria fued, even though Monaco was killed at the same time as Maranzano to avoid anymore fighting, there were still hostilities within the crews.

http://www.gangsterbb.net/threads/u...;Main=37580&Number=937281#Post937281
Posted By: JackieAprile

Re: "Old man Profaci knew how to split his enemies" - 06/03/18 10:35 PM

Junior is consistently shown to be old school. Even in the 60s, as a young man, he dressed like an old school 40s-50s gangster, whereas Johnny was a modern day hustler who was like a criminal Dean Martin. I think Junior grew up idolizing all the old guys and felt they were what a gangster should be. Johnny was more of a "modern" (for the 60s) guy like Phil Leotardo and honestly, probably less intelligent than Junior. I look at as Johnny was the brawn, Junior was the brains; they made an almost undefeatable duo as such. There's a reason Johnny took Junior along on his collections. Junior was old school even in his prime and I think Johnny respected his mind, even if he was beneath Johnny in the pecking order.
Posted By: MeyerLansky

Re: "Old man Profaci knew how to split his enemies" - 06/07/18 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by JackieAprile
Junior is consistently shown to be old school. Even in the 60s, as a young man, he dressed like an old school 40s-50s gangster, whereas Johnny was a modern day hustler who was like a criminal Dean Martin. I think Junior grew up idolizing all the old guys and felt they were what a gangster should be. Johnny was more of a "modern" (for the 60s) guy like Phil Leotardo and honestly, probably less intelligent than Junior. I look at as Johnny was the brawn, Junior was the brains; they made an almost undefeatable duo as such. There's a reason Johnny took Junior along on his collections. Junior was old school even in his prime and I think Johnny respected his mind, even if he was beneath Johnny in the pecking order.

great comment !!!
and if you guys pay notice bobby is like junior (sweet, gentleman, and think before he act)
they liked each other and got along good because they have a similarity.
Posted By: Japseye1

Re: "Old man Profaci knew how to split his enemies" - 07/09/18 06:34 AM

yeah I guess shooting your nephew in the stomach is old school . The Tony Blundetto situation was completely different and as Tony Soprano shows, he doesn't give a shit about the old school. Tony cares about realism and survival
Posted By: Quiet_Doms

Re: "Old man Profaci knew how to split his enemies" - 08/18/18 09:19 PM

Gallo’s
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET