Home

Soprano's Spinoff

Posted By: DomColarusso

Soprano's Spinoff - 08/06/14 04:59 PM

Who wants to see a spinoff featuring Tony's pop and Junior in their prime, running North Jersey?
Posted By: Its_da_Jackeeettttttt

Re: Soprano's Spinoff - 08/06/14 06:46 PM

It would be interesting to see; I know period series tend to more expensive to produce, so it would be interesting if it made sense financially.
Posted By: BostonGuy17

Re: Soprano's Spinoff - 08/06/14 08:38 PM

It's definitely interesting to think about. We'd get to see Livia and Junior in their prime, and maybe even a young Paulie! The only problem is that the old time gangster thing (50s-70s) has been portrayed in so many movies and TV shows I don't know how they would make it unique. Although I do like the idea of the Sopranos in the 50s.
Posted By: mldetroit

Re: Soprano's Spinoff - 08/06/14 11:07 PM

I do think that Tony's father played a good gangster.
Posted By: Alfanosgirl

Re: Soprano's Spinoff - 08/06/14 11:47 PM

This would be great. Since the Luciano/Genovese crew were running things in northern Jersey at that time they could introduce some wiseguys from that crew much like they did with the NY family in the Soprano's series.

Re: Soprano's Spinoff - 08/07/14 01:05 AM

And you could have a young Junior running away from the Apalachin Meeting like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i43ePv9vFMc
Posted By: Malandrino

Re: Soprano's Spinoff - 08/08/14 08:08 PM

I honestly doubt there will be anything like it. The actors are getting older not younger. The guy who played Johnny Boy Soprano probably could never hold a main role, even in a TV show, let alone a movie. So, naturally the whole cast would have to be new... most people wouldn't really be interested because it would never feel anything like the original, unless David Chase is involved, and even then still.

Sadly, our favorite TV show is over and done. James Gandolfini's death was the nail in the coffin as the hopes of a movie died with him. As much as it pains me to say this, we'll never see anything Soprano ever again... and when you think about it, I hope we DON'T because most remakes or sequels turn out to be bullshit and they only serve to ruin the franchise and its name.

Re: Soprano's Spinoff - 08/08/14 08:22 PM

God forbid we come up with the gangster version of AfterMASH. The universe would fold over on itself or something.

The more I think of this, a prequel set in the mid-1980s to just before The Sopranos began (circa 1997-98) will not work. Either you have older actors trying to play younger versions of themselves, or different actors in the same role (notably a younger Tony). It's just asking to be mocked, and would be a parody of a great show.

The only way a prequel has a shot is going about 30-40 years before The Sopranos original run (probably 1961 to 1979). And like the flashback sequences, it's going to require an entirely new cast, because the characters are going to be starkly different. You'd have the rise of Johnny Boy and Junior, obviously younger versions of Paulie and Hesh, but I doubt you'd have a younger version of Big Pussy (on account that he didn't rise up until the Unrest of '82). You'd probably have an adolescent Tony and his crew of Jackie, Silvio and Ralphie, and maybe Tony Blundetto. You might even work in the Feech robbery.

But unless you have a writing staff dedicated to crafting workable, captivating story lines without drifting into self-parody, even this prequel has a high probability of failing. Couple that with higher production costs of a period series, you'd be hard pressed to find HBO willing to green light it.
Posted By: Alfanosgirl

Re: Soprano's Spinoff - 08/08/14 08:35 PM

You guys are no fun. You're raining on my parade. I do agree that a lot of times prequels and sequels are duds but there is definitely a good possibility this can be DONE RIGHT!!!

It would have to be set in the 1940's or 50's.
Posted By: DE NIRO

Re: Soprano's Spinoff - 08/09/14 04:52 PM

It would have been good five years ago but i think the time has passed.
Posted By: PetroPirelli

Re: Soprano's Spinoff - 08/09/14 11:10 PM

The series would be nothing without James Gandolfini - he made the show.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET