Home

Do people enjoy seeing James Gandolfini in movies?

Posted By: Wilson

Do people enjoy seeing James Gandolfini in movies? - 10/30/12 04:04 PM

I notice that there is not much interest when it comes to James Gandolfini as an actor in other roles besides Tony Soprano.

The average casual fan just does not care about this guy.

Why?
Posted By: johnnyboysala

Re: Do people enjoy seeing James Gandolfini in movies? - 10/31/12 09:37 PM

I'd imagine because its difficult to get over the idea of it being Tony Soprano. JG is a very distinctive looking guy. He cant do much with his face or hair and I cant really see him slimming down for a role. His only tool appearance wise is to grow a beard - which he has already done a few times. I just imagine most casting agents think he's gonna charge the earth to get onboard and once he is the audience are just going to be thinking of Tony anyway. Put it this way. Supposing you're a sales assistant and Al Pacino walks in your store. You're more likely to be 'wow thats Al Pacino' than thinking about Michael Corleone or Tony Montana or whatever. He's distinctive in his own right, and although he embodied those characters at the time, he put little of his own personality in them. Its almost difficult to relate the actor to the character. With JG, everyone will be thinking 'oh my god thats Tony Soprano' and theres nothing he can really do about it.

All that, plus the fact he's seems pretty serious about 'proper acting'. i imagine he's far more interested in small projects he believes in, than big Hollywood smashes. He's got all the dough he's gonna need after all!
Posted By: Camarel

Re: Do people enjoy seeing James Gandolfini in movies? - 11/01/12 02:37 AM

Originally Posted By: Wilson
I notice that there is not much interest when it comes to James Gandolfini as an actor in other roles besides Tony Soprano.

The average casual fan just does not care about this guy.

Why?

Is he your favourite Actor?

Re: Do people enjoy seeing James Gandolfini in movies? - 11/01/12 02:38 AM

I would have to say that after seeing Welcome to the Rileys, he is now.

Re: Do people enjoy seeing James Gandolfini in movies? - 11/01/12 02:48 AM

Originally Posted By: Wilson
I would have to say that after seeing Welcome to the Rileys, he is now.

I've not seen that thanks for suggesting a new fil to watch smile

Re: Do people enjoy seeing James Gandolfini in movies? - 11/01/12 01:04 PM

You're very welcome smile

I made a thread about it with a link to the preview. It is located in this forum.
Posted By: Dapper_Don

Re: Do people enjoy seeing James Gandolfini in movies? - 11/08/12 02:39 AM

Besides his appearance on the Sopranos I have enjoyed his other roles in movies, he is a great actor IMO.
Posted By: DonNordy

Re: Do people enjoy seeing James Gandolfini in movies? - 11/09/12 09:05 PM

I just watched him in The Last Castle. I thought he was damn good in it. Of course the first thing that came out of my mouth was hey its Tony..lol
Posted By: Wudstock

Re: Do people enjoy seeing James Gandolfini in movies? - 11/14/12 09:49 PM

He was great actor in Sopranos show but after that he's more like typical cast. Everyime people seen him and they would always said Tony.

James = Ray Liotta
Posted By: JasonAnthony74

Re: Do people enjoy seeing James Gandolfini in movies? - 12/15/12 10:13 PM

How does a guy like James get such an attractive wife? Oh, wait: money and fame? :-)
Posted By: RichieAnimal

Re: Do people enjoy seeing James Gandolfini in movies? - 01/07/13 09:47 AM

Money what else he is also a liberal. That is one thing I can't accept.

There is a new movie comming out in a few months about the iceman the guy that said he killed 200 guys for pleasure or for money or both.

Tony would have been perfect for that part. I guess he did not want to do it.

I am looking forward to seein it. He supposedly worked for Roy Demeo who ran the geminI lounge here in Brooklyn. I would hang out there when I first moved to Brooklyn. I never saw the iceman in that place. The part of Demeo is played by the guy who played Henry hill in good fellas that should be fun

Re: Do people enjoy seeing James Gandolfini in movies? - 01/07/13 10:08 AM

Anyone ever have a soprano party at their house when the soprans started in their first 2 years. I did I invited every law breaker I knew and we would goof on it. I really like that hot girl who did the opening show party in their first two seasons.

I could not invite any soccer people to those who were my other set of friends.

Good advice don't start eating way before the show starts or you can find yourself taking a dump while the show was going on. That happened to me in the second years opening show smile
Posted By: IvyLeague

Re: Do people enjoy seeing James Gandolfini in movies? - 01/07/13 10:39 AM

Gandolfini was a respected character actor long before he did The Sopranos. Check out his IMDB page. And he's actually fairly conservative, at least by Hollywood standards.

Re: Do people enjoy seeing James Gandolfini in movies? - 01/07/13 04:44 PM

I have seen him in other things but he had a once in a lifetime part on tge sopranos. I also liked proval part as Aprio, and the guy who played Johnny sac, and the guy who died while taking a dump
Posted By: Skinny

Re: Do people enjoy seeing James Gandolfini in movies? - 01/07/13 05:46 PM

He had a good character in Get Shorty. I dont know tho, i have mixed opinions as of his acting ability. As far as who he votes for i could give a fuck.
Posted By: LCN1987

Re: Do people enjoy seeing James Gandolfini in movies? - 01/07/13 11:09 PM

His portrayal of Tony Soprano is perhaps the best portrayal of a tv villain ever in my opinion. Of course it is going to be hard keeping up with the same standards when doing movies and entirely different roles. The problem is that most people still really see him as Tony Soprano and not who he plays nowadays. You've seen him for 70+ episodes (70+ hours) doing one role.

That being said, He is a talented actor, but I have to admit that I too still see him as Tony Soprano. Hard watching the Taking of Pelham 123 then...

Re: Do people enjoy seeing James Gandolfini in movies? - 01/09/13 01:00 AM

I've heard he's great in, In the loop i've never got around to watching it though.
Posted By: Mukremin

Re: Do people enjoy seeing James Gandolfini in movies? - 01/13/13 01:00 PM

anyone saw him in Killing them Softly? It was a pretty bad movie, hes acting was shit too.

Re: Do people enjoy seeing James Gandolfini in movies? - 01/13/13 03:37 PM

Its bad? I was gonna try and see it at the dollar theatre when it is there.

Re: Do people enjoy seeing James Gandolfini in movies? - 01/14/13 06:52 AM

It seems the movie didn't translate well from the book. Considering Gandolfini has had his fill of playing gangsters, I wouldn't be surprised if he only took the part as a favor to Brad Pitt. They also did True Romance and The Mexican together. Anyway, Gandolfini didn't have much to do in the movie. Nothing to really sink his teeth into. Vince Curatola (Johnny Sac) neither.

Re: Do people enjoy seeing James Gandolfini in movies? - 01/19/13 03:51 AM

Johnny Sack has got his hands full being the price per head poster boy... lol
Posted By: Jimmy_Two_Times

Re: Do people enjoy seeing James Gandolfini in movies? - 02/05/13 03:29 PM

I think it's difficult to cast him in lead roles. One, he's forever known as Tony S, and second he has that accent/lisp. I generally like him in his supporting roles that I've seen him in, but generally i don't know what kind of lead roles he can get outside of a crime-based one.
Posted By: GAMBINOBOY

Re: Do people enjoy seeing James Gandolfini in movies? - 02/07/13 06:21 AM

I'm afraid James Gandolfini is a bit type cast, he played a hitman in a movie that came out in the 90's with Christian Slater, the name escapes me at the moment, but as an actor he has some potenial, maybe if he stayed away from the gangster roles. Tony Soprano may have been his downfall as no one can picture him as anything else.

Re: Do people enjoy seeing James Gandolfini in movies? - 02/10/13 12:38 AM

Originally Posted By: GAMBINOBOY
I'm afraid James Gandolfini is a bit type cast, he played a hitman in a movie that came out in the 90's with Christian Slater, the name escapes me at the moment, but as an actor he has some potenial, maybe if he stayed away from the gangster roles. Tony Soprano may have been his downfall as no one can picture him as anything else.

I mentioned it above - True Romance. Good film. Tarantino wrote the screenplay but it was directed by Tony Scott.
Posted By: jace

Re: Do people enjoy seeing James Gandolfini in movies? - 03/08/13 08:47 AM

This is a very short clip of him in 1994 movie called Angie. I just watched it other day and was surprised to see him in it. He played boyfriend of Geena Davis, movie is set in Brooklyn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBtBy2W02hw
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET