Home

Tony Soprano THE SOCIOPATH

Posted By: Joe_Bonanno

Tony Soprano THE SOCIOPATH - 06/04/12 08:30 PM

Hi guys, I'm watching Sopranos for 3rd time. The first time I thought there's something good in Tony, but the second and third... the way he acts, he e is a TOTAL sociopath, he cares only about himself, not even his family, he cares how HE is gonna look in people's eyes.

Do you think he is realistic as mindset of a mobster? I don't talk about his wrong decisions, but I'm talking about his psychic, is that the way the real mobsters are? Totally selfish, sociopaths and murderers who are never honest even infront of themselves?
Posted By: NickyScarfo

Re: Tony Soprano THE SOCIOPATH - 06/04/12 08:35 PM

I think they probably tried to give him some characteristics that viewers could like about him, otherwise it might be difficult to get viewers to watch. In reality the real guys are completely nasty people who we probably wouldn't have much empathy for.
Posted By: Mark

Re: Tony Soprano THE SOCIOPATH - 06/04/12 08:45 PM

All good points, guys. I've noticed that watching the show week to week back in the day, there seemed to be redeeming qualities about Tony thus gaining audience empathy. However, when you look at the entire"book" and not the small dose weekly "chapters", Tony truly is a very despicable human being.
Posted By: Joe_Bonanno

Re: Tony Soprano THE SOCIOPATH - 06/04/12 09:19 PM

But he truly loves animals, that's because they don't stab you in the back, he care about them, but that doesen't mean he cares about people too. He kills them with no remorse.
Posted By: stevapalooza

Re: Tony Soprano THE SOCIOPATH - 06/05/12 10:29 AM

I think he's an antisocial personality, like all criminals, but I'm not sure about sociopath. Sociopaths can't feel guilt or remorse. Tony has shown guilt and pity on some occasions. He's angry, violent, and has no impulse control, but I think he does have at least a little bit of a conscience.

Richard Kuklinski is a good example of a true sociopath. It never even occurred to him that he should feel guilty over the things he did. He never gave it a second thought.

Posted By: DeMeo

Re: Tony Soprano THE SOCIOPATH - 06/05/12 06:39 PM

In order for one to break the law, one must exhibit different behaviours and remain relatively unafraid.

Thats why legitimate people stay legitimate - they are either afraid of prison, afraid of having the mark against their name or are afraid of what others think about them.

But they are not too afraid of pulling out the plastic, going on shopping sprees, buying all sorts, running up debts and deciding to avoid paying it back. In their mind most people do that sort of thing anyway and they find it a more acceptable line to cross.
Posted By: ukwiseguy

Re: Tony Soprano THE SOCIOPATH - 06/05/12 09:23 PM

I wouldn't say he was an out and out sociopath as there were a few times when he exibited guilt like with getting the cop sacked to desk duty or whatever it was.

Those with anti-social personality disorders tend to still be able to care for animals and small children from what ive read.
Posted By: JCrusher

Re: Tony Soprano THE SOCIOPATH - 06/05/12 11:28 PM

Definetly a sociopath. I mean loving animals doesnt give you an excuse to kill men/women without remorse
Posted By: short841

Re: Tony Soprano THE SOCIOPATH - 06/06/12 09:56 AM

Probably what Chase wanted. To show charateristics of being a sociopath but hes not completely a sociopath. He felt concerned after Melfi being raped when he didnt know. Remember when she suddenly was crying?
Posted By: NickyScarfo

Re: Tony Soprano THE SOCIOPATH - 06/09/12 02:08 PM

Originally Posted By: JCrusher
Definetly a sociopath. I mean loving animals doesnt give you an excuse to kill men/women without remorse

A love of animals is a trait fairly common in Sociopaths, Hitler loved that dog of his...
Posted By: ukwiseguy

Re: Tony Soprano THE SOCIOPATH - 06/09/12 03:36 PM

Yeah the study that Melfi reads towards the latter episodes before she "fires" Tony said the exact thing that they have a love of animals just like Tony with the ducks and the horse.
Posted By: black_velvet

Re: Tony Soprano THE SOCIOPATH - 06/09/12 06:06 PM

Always asked myself whether a milieu dominated by the mafia or mafia-like structures in a way teaches people to become sociopathic personalities in order to do their jobs 'properly' and to survive.
Posted By: Antonio

Re: Tony Soprano THE SOCIOPATH - 07/17/12 07:51 PM

To be honest, I hate all these terms, sociopath, psycho everything! The truth is people are different and until God has proven his existence, humanity is free to feel and do as they please. If Tony Soprano was a sociopath, which he may well have been I hate it when people judge. I mean I know killing people is bad but calling labeling people with terms doesn't solve the problem, I bet a lot of mobsters are actually good hearted people.
Posted By: JCrusher

Re: Tony Soprano THE SOCIOPATH - 07/23/12 12:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Antonio
To be honest, I hate all these terms, sociopath, psycho everything! The truth is people are different and until God has proven his existence, humanity is free to feel and do as they please. If Tony Soprano was a sociopath, which he may well have been I hate it when people judge. I mean I know killing people is bad but calling labeling people with terms doesn't solve the problem, I bet a lot of mobsters are actually good hearted people.

Sure Antonio lets not judge a multiple murderer who robs from the innocent and cheats on his wife. he is a nice guy lol
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET