Home

Did Johnny Boy want out?

Posted By: Crazy_Joe_Gallo

Did Johnny Boy want out? - 04/23/12 11:12 PM

In a brief flashback to 1967, we see Johnny Boy Soprano (Tony's father) and Livia arguing. Rocco Alatore, a bookmaker and sometimes loan shark victim of Johnny's, wants to relocate to Reno, Nevada, and open a new book out there, and after the book gets set up with money, Rocco wants to open a supper club and have Johnny run it. Livia nixes the idea, going so far as to threaten smothering the children rather than going to Nevada. Alatore goes and ends up becoming a millionaire.

Now, by 1967, Johnny was more than likely a made man, a Soldier in the DiMeo Family (given his and Paulie's many trips down to Florida where Johnny owned a piece of a dog track amongst other things). Relocating from Reno from Newark, NJ would've been a HUGE move, especially for a made guy. It'd basically be like retirement. Johnny is often shown as being much more vicious and old school than Tony, but could Johnny wanting to relocate to Reno and run a supper club suggest that at least at one point, he contemplated leaving the Mafia--something Tony never considered?
Posted By: dontommasino

Re: Did Johnny Boy want out? - 04/24/12 01:02 AM

An interesting question. The DiMeo Family probably would not have had any business interests out in Nevada. However, that doesn't eliminate the possibility that Johnny Boy would've gotten himself mixed up in the rackets somehow.
Posted By: Crazy_Joe_Gallo

Re: Did Johnny Boy want out? - 04/24/12 01:37 AM

Originally Posted By: dontommasino
An interesting question. The DiMeo Family probably would not have had any business interests out in Nevada. However, that doesn't eliminate the possibility that Johnny Boy would've gotten himself mixed up in the rackets somehow.

It's highly doubtful that the DiMeos, one of several NJ families (only dominating NORTH Jersey) had any interests as far out as Nevada in the 60s. And Johnny Boy as a made man (possibly even a Capo given he was 43 in 1967) would've been basically running away from his Family had Livia accepted the idea. He might've gotten mixed up in minor rackets, as a bookie, but I doubt he would've been accepted open arms into a Nevada family. It's not the NFL. I don't think guys, especially Captains, usually get traded from family to family. Even Tony says to Livia it was perhaps Johnny's chance to get out...
Posted By: JCrusher

Re: Did Johnny Boy want out? - 04/24/12 03:14 AM

Originally Posted By: Crazy_Joe_Gallo
Originally Posted By: dontommasino

It's highly doubtful that the DiMeos, one of several NJ families (only dominating NORTH Jersey) had any interests as far out as Nevada in the 60s. And Johnny Boy as a made man (possibly even a Capo given he was 43 in 1967) would've been basically running away from his Family had Livia accepted the idea. He might've gotten mixed up in minor rackets, as a bookie, but I doubt he would've been accepted open arms into a Nevada family. It's not the NFL. I don't think guys, especially Captains, usually get traded from family to family. Even Tony says to Livia it was perhaps Johnny's chance to get out...

I think you are thinking of New York which has 5 families. new jersey only has one which is based on the decalvacante family. Philly is another state that only has one family along with Chicago
Posted By: Quiet_Doms

Re: Did Johnny Boy want out? - 08/15/18 09:58 PM

He probably did.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET