Home

Would Sopranos been better if it was based in NY

Posted By: tiger84

Would Sopranos been better if it was based in NY - 02/26/11 09:06 AM

I think if instead of Tony being the boss of NJ.He should of been a capo in NY and then in the later seasons he should of become boss.I just feel like NY is much better to do a mob series.
Posted By: Don Cardi

Re: Would Sopranos been better if it was based in NY - 02/26/11 08:39 PM

Originally Posted By: tiger84
I think if instead of Tony being the boss of NJ.He should of been a capo in NY and then in the later seasons he should of become boss.I just feel like NY is much better to do a mob series.

Why do you feel that New York is a better place to do a mob series?
Posted By: BAM_233

Re: Would Sopranos been better if it was based in NY - 02/26/11 10:00 PM

chicago is better for a mob series
Posted By: phatmatress

Re: Would Sopranos been better if it was based in NY - 02/26/11 11:43 PM

i think it was perfectly set in NJ. although sometimes i think they made the smaller NJ family out to be a little stronger than it could ever be. but then again it was tv and it was great tv
Posted By: thebarber

Re: Would Sopranos been better if it was based in NY - 02/27/11 12:16 AM

well said phatmatress. I totaly agree
Posted By: tiger84

Re: Would Sopranos been better if it was based in NY - 02/27/11 10:10 AM

Originally Posted By: Don Cardi

Why do you feel that New York is a better place to do a mob series?

Just the feel of brooklyn plus the NY families r stronger so them making johny sack bow down to tony would of been more realistic if T was a New yorker
Posted By: JCrusher

Re: Would Sopranos been better if it was based in NY - 02/27/11 08:03 PM

Originally Posted By: phatmatress
i think it was perfectly set in NJ. although sometimes i think they made the smaller NJ family out to be a little stronger than it could ever be. but then again it was tv and it was great tv

I agree one of the few things i didn't like about the sopranos is that they made the jersey family out to be just as strong as the New york Families. Hell they made them beat the new york family in a mobwar despite being half the size of the new york family. I'm not a mob expert but I have read many books about the mafia and talked to some investigators I know and there is no indication of jersey being this strong. In reality jersey mafia(decalvacante} prettu much did whatever the new york families told them to do. John gotti called the jersey mob the farm team and it was one of the only times he was right about something. I know tony is the main character so they have to make him took like Michael corleone but i think they could have done a better job.
Posted By: jvanley

Re: Would Sopranos been better if it was based in NY - 03/06/11 04:58 PM

Been there, done that. David Chase based The Sopranos loosely on the Decavalante Family in NJ. That is why it was so good, it brought life to the rumors that the Mafia exsits where there is a buck to be made. It also ties in how the NY families work with other families.
Posted By: Sonny_Black

Re: Would Sopranos been better if it was based in NY - 05/05/11 10:56 AM

I think the setting is perfect. A smaller family with less members makes it easier for the viewer to know who's who. A New York setting would probably make it too complicated.
Posted By: thebarber

Re: Would Sopranos been better if it was based in NY - 07/08/11 01:11 AM

Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black
I think the setting is perfect. A smaller family with less members makes it easier for the viewer to know who's who. A New York setting would probably make it too complicated.

this is a good point sonny. The setting may have been better if the soprano's were the jersey based crew for the lupertazzi family. Tony would have been the capo and answered to the guys in new york
Posted By: IvyLeague

Re: Would Sopranos been better if it was based in NY - 07/08/11 06:48 AM

Originally Posted By: thebarber
Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black

this is a good point sonny. The setting may have been better if the soprano's were the jersey based crew for the lupertazzi family. Tony would have been the capo and answered to the guys in new york

Not to mention the fact that there's been a million movies and what not done on the mob in New York. Doing one that was initially based on the DeCavalcantes over in Jersey was a fresh idea.

I say "initially" because, while the idea of a small, indigenous family in Jersey is obviously based on the DeCavalcantes, it's obvious the writers took ideas from New York as well.
Posted By: VinnyGorgeous

Re: Would Sopranos been better if it was based in NY - 07/09/11 05:40 AM

The Sopranos were great as they were, but doing a show about a capo in NY is definitely something I'd be interested in watching, especially if it's on HBO. The elements in NY are just too exciting.
Posted By: ONTARIO613

Re: Would Sopranos been better if it was based in NY - 07/09/11 09:48 PM

It has to do with the writers ambitions and buget shooting in new york would not have sold to th e HBO originally because they didnt KNow how successful it would become . The writers wanted a disfunctional family that they found in the Decavalcanted viiny ocean was based on tony soprano or vise versa

Re: Would Sopranos been better if it was based in NY - 07/10/11 04:07 AM

actually it was because david chase grew up in jersey. garfield new jersey. he was obsessed with oc as a kid. collected news clippings from newspapers like other kids collected baseball cards. he wanted to represent his home state. this is what it stated in the collecter's series of the sopranos. ya know the big huge one that cost like $600 when it first came out....i ran out and bought it like an idiot! but im sure you are correct as well. the budget to shoot around north cadwell, kearney and lodi nj than in any of the 5 boroughs.
Posted By: NickyScarfo

Re: Would Sopranos been better if it was based in NY - 07/10/11 09:39 AM

For me, a guy who doesn't live in the States, it was great for it to be set in NJ. So many US shows are set in NY, so it was good to see a different area and it actually made me want to see New Jersey in person!

Re: Would Sopranos been better if it was based in NY - 07/12/11 04:02 AM

where do u live nickyscarfo?

Re: Would Sopranos been better if it was based in - 07/12/11 06:15 AM

Perth Australia so couldn't be further away from New Jersey LOL
Posted By: Mark

Re: Would Sopranos been better if it was based in - 07/13/11 12:38 AM

Originally Posted By: NickyScarfo
Perth Australia so couldn't be further away from New Jersey LOL

There is a story line going on "The Young & The Restless" soap involving an Aussie mob boss and his family. Pretty lame I must say - compared to "General Hospital" and the whole Sonny Corinthos mob stories. I know, I know - I get asked this all the time..."Do you REALLY watch The Young & The Restless?!?" My answer is always; "Have you seen some of the hottie actresses on Y&R?!? - Fuhgeddaboutit!!!" lol

Re: Would Sopranos been better if it was based in - 07/13/11 05:49 AM

Haha the funny thing is there actually is some mob guys down under!

Re: Would Sopranos been better if it was based in - 07/14/11 11:07 PM

I think joe peshi shouldaa been in the sopranoes as a bilotti doberman character for johnnie sac or carmine sr and then phils consigliere

Re: Would Sopranos been better if it was based in - 07/15/11 01:48 PM

Originally Posted By: ONTARIO613
I think joe peshi shouldaa been in the sopranoes as a bilotti doberman character for johnnie sac or carmine sr and then phils consigliere
they tried to get ray liota to play ralph but he turned it down
Posted By: leftygun62

Re: Would Sopranos been better if it was based in - 07/15/11 10:20 PM

Wow that would have been a disaster....Pantoliano was perfect as Ralph. One of the great villains in TV history

Re: Would Sopranos been better if it was based in - 07/17/11 12:42 AM

Originally Posted By: leftygun62

Wow that would have been a disaster....Pantoliano was perfect as Ralph. One of the great villains in TV history
yeah but liota is such a great actor i think he could have done very well with it. Pantoliano did a fabulous job tho.
Posted By: manhattandon

Re: Would Sopranos been better if it was based in NY - 07/18/11 12:09 PM

I'm a little biased (being from jersey) ... New York City was / is at the heart of it all - the center of most activity... most of Jersey's wealthy inhabitants get their money from interests in NYC - or they commute there.

The idea of The Sopranos was that they were just like your typical suburban family BUT Tony was a sociopath (except when it came to close family & friends). I think that was the underlying story.... Here's a hard core criminal, living in beautiful surroundings just like doctors, lawyers & wall st execs... with all of the family issues & challenges of those same families - against a backdrop of hard core crime, overindulgence, etc....

Re: Would Sopranos been better if it was based in NY - 07/21/11 01:57 AM

Originally Posted By: manhattandon
I'm a little biased (being from jersey) ... New York City was / is at the heart of it all - the center of most activity... most of Jersey's wealthy inhabitants get their money from interests in NYC - or they commute there.

The idea of The Sopranos was that they were just like your typical suburban family BUT Tony was a sociopath (except when it came to close family & friends). I think that was the underlying story.... Here's a hard core criminal, living in beautiful surroundings just like doctors, lawyers & wall st execs... with all of the family issues & challenges of those same families - against a backdrop of hard core crime, overindulgence, etc....

\perfectly put manhatten u sure know how to place ur words
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET