Home

Lupertazzis based upon...

Posted By: joey_doves

Lupertazzis based upon... - 01/26/11 05:34 AM

If the Sopranos were loosely based upon the DeCavalcante family then which one of the Five Families were the Lupertazzis based upon do you think? I'm sure its been discussed before but I'm new here, indulge me....
Posted By: phatmatress

Re: Lupertazzis based upon... - 01/26/11 06:14 AM

at first because of their size and power i always thought the gambinos or genovesse but after the whole whack jersey deal they had and i do believe they auctually said that or something close to it i thought perhaps luchesse
Posted By: thebarber

Re: Lupertazzis based upon... - 01/26/11 01:21 PM

At first I thought it was the gambinos cause of the whole father son connection like john and junior gotti. And then I watched a show on the decalvacante family that stated that there leaders were always very close to john gotti. So in my opinoin it must b the gambinos

Re: Lupertazzis based upon... - 01/26/11 05:19 PM

but then again we all know its a tv show it could be a mix of all the 5 families
Posted By: Mooney

Re: Lupertazzis based upon... - 01/28/11 03:15 AM

Perhaps they were not the molded after the gambinos because in one episode when Johnny sac is trying to take the reins from Carmine's son Tony suggests that their family should have a ruling panel and he says "two (or 3 not sure what he says exactly) of the other families have this kind of arrangement"

During the time the sopranos aired the gambinos had a ruling panel
Posted By: LuanKuci

Re: Lupertazzis based upon... - 09/06/11 07:14 AM

Originally Posted By: Mooney
Perhaps they were not the molded after the gambinos because in one episode when Johnny sac is trying to take the reins from Carmine's son Tony suggests that their family should have a ruling panel and he says "two (or 3 not sure what he says exactly) of the other families have this kind of arrangement"

During the time the sopranos aired the gambinos had a ruling panel

Wow...good ear man. Nice.
Posted By: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica

Re: Lupertazzis based upon... - 09/06/11 07:54 AM

With the whole "war" between the NY capos after Big Carmine's death, one could compare them to the Colombo's.

But like Phat said, the whole "whack Jersey" plotline, where else could Chase have lifted it from? Personally, I dont think its important which family exactly they're supposedly based as much the idea of the NY element they represent. The "establishment".

Soprano's was great, but as far as dead on realitic with mob politics...I dont really think so.
I think Chase did a great job but; and if you think about it, there's pretty much a handful of possible real life contenders for just about every gangster on the show, especially when you use the average guidelines. I think Chase was in a position to pick and choose the things he wanted his mobsters to experience. The Families in The Soprano's are composites, with a healthy dose of creative licence..
Posted By: NickyScarfo

Re: Lupertazzis based upon... - 09/06/11 11:20 AM

Yeah we really should look at the sopranos as a great show but not that realistic, there's what 50+ mob murders in 10 years?! That doesn't happen anymore.
Posted By: IvyLeague

Re: Lupertazzis based upon... - 09/06/11 07:10 PM

Originally Posted By: phatmatress
but then again we all know its a tv show it could be a mix of all the 5 families

Yeah, it seems they were a compilation of sorts. Johnny Sac didn't really represent any one family as much as he was meant to represent "New York."
Posted By: Mukremin

Re: Lupertazzis based upon... - 09/06/11 07:38 PM

The Sopranos were not based on the DeCavalcante family.

Re: Lupertazzis based upon... - 09/07/11 03:34 AM

Originally Posted By: Mukremin
i think they were based on The Luchesse faction of Jersey.
Posted By: DickNose_Moltasanti

Re: Lupertazzis based upon... - 09/07/11 03:45 AM

Originally Posted By: phatmatress
Originally Posted By: Mukremin
i think they were based on The Luchesse faction of Jersey.

Whats up with that incidtment with the Pernas and Bloods or whatever the guys title was 5 Star Asshole is the higest rank

BTW who dubbed that an "Unholy Alliance"
Posted By: IvyLeague

Re: Lupertazzis based upon... - 09/07/11 07:00 AM

The basic idea of an small, indigenous family in New Jersey obviously is based on the DeCavalcantes. But Chase, and eventually the other writers, took their inspiration from the entire NY/NJ mob.
Posted By: Mukremin

Re: Lupertazzis based upon... - 09/07/11 06:02 PM

True it had elements of all the NY and NJ families, but Tony himself was based on a real Tony, cant remember his name.

Re: Lupertazzis based upon... - 09/08/11 03:48 AM

ive heard that he was supposedly based off viny ocean. i think he was based more of Micheal Tacetta.
Posted By: Dapper_Don

Re: Lupertazzis based upon... - 09/09/11 01:51 AM

Ive read tony was based off michael tacetta and tony's mob family lots of stuff is very similar to the decalvacante's (like jackie dying of cancer, etc) but theres alo the similarity to the lucchese family (when phil leotardo orders to whack out the jersey fam ala casso ordering to whack jersey)

Re: Lupertazzis based upon... - 09/09/11 03:06 AM

tony physically looks more like tacetta
Posted By: Philip_Lombardo

Re: Lupertazzis based upon... - 07/02/12 09:54 AM

I reckon the Lupertazzi crime family were based from the Colombo's with the inter family wars and low amount of crews along with being based in brooklyn
Posted By: danielperrygin

Re: Lupertazzis based upon... - 07/02/12 12:05 PM

They had what 500 soldiers? How many crew did they have?

Re: Lupertazzis based upon... - 07/02/12 03:38 PM

Its mentioned that they have 200 soldiers, so if it is based on a modern family, can really only be the Gambino's or the Genovese.
Posted By: danielperrygin

Re: Lupertazzis based upon... - 07/02/12 07:57 PM

Wow i was way off. Do you get from the scene where Tony and Chrissy are having a chat with NY behind the bing?
Posted By: Camarel

Re: Lupertazzis based upon... - 07/02/12 11:04 PM

I don't think it's based on the gambinos because of tonis conversation with cusamano about john gotti.

Re: Lupertazzis based upon... - 07/02/12 11:42 PM

Originally Posted By: danielperrygin
Wow i was way off. Do you get from the scene where Tony and Chrissy are having a chat with NY behind the bing?

Yeah I think Chris was like "why do you always cave to this guy?" And Tony says something like the guy has 200 soldiers in his family or something.
Posted By: FEECHLAMANA11

Re: Lupertazzis based upon... - 08/10/12 10:45 PM

I don't think they were based on the Gambinos because in one episode when Tony and Jonny Sac are talking about taking out Carmine Lupertazzi Sr. Jonny says that if they whacked Carmine in a way that didn't shed light on them it wouldn't be like what happened with "Castellano" - invariably referencing Paul Castellano's murder by Gotti. Jonny actually says "Castellano" in that episode.
Maybe someone already pointed this out...too lazy to read all the posts
Posted By: FEECHLAMANA11

Re: Lupertazzis based upon... - 08/10/12 10:47 PM

I guess if you wanna pin-point a family you could say Genovese, because they're still quite big these days, and its the one family that I don't believe is referenced on the show. However, I think the Lupertazzi's are just supposed to represent the "New York Mafia" as a whole.
Posted By: DickNose_Moltasanti

Re: Lupertazzis based upon... - 08/11/12 12:07 AM

Originally Posted By: Camarel
I don't think it's based on the gambinos because of tonis conversation with cusamano about john gotti.

I think I know what your referring too. Tony's playing golf with Cusomano and some of his colleagues. Cusosmano or one of his friends asked if he ever met "John Gotti," which Tony responded yeah he did. Someone correct me if I'm wrong I followed the series but can't recall everything from it.

Re: Lupertazzis based upon... - 08/11/12 03:43 AM

Originally Posted By: DickNose_Moltasanti

I think I know what your referring too. Tony's playing golf with Cusomano and some of his colleagues. Cusosmano or one of his friends asked if he ever met "John Gotti," which Tony responded yeah he did. Someone correct me if I'm wrong I followed the series but can't recall everything from it.

That's what i meant bro wink. My point was the only modern boss mentioned is Gotti on the golf course . Regardless i think the dimeo's are based on MM/DiNapoli.
Posted By: Mastronardo

Re: Lupertazzis based upon... - 08/12/12 09:02 PM

I assume the Sopranos were based on the DeCavalcantes, and the Lupertazzis on the Gambinos.

Key points to back up my thinking are the following:

1. John Sacrimoni and John Gotti were both incarcerated in a prison but later transferred to the United States Medical Center for Federal Prisoners in Springfield, Missouri. They both died from cancer.

2. Sacrimoni came to Tony Soprano and asked him to murder Lupertazzi capo Rusty Millio in Season Six. John Gotti also requested another family, the DeCavalcante guys, to clip someone. The murder of Fred Weiss wasn’t so different than when Rusty was whacked — Milio was in his car, Weiss was by his car.

3. The shooting of Big Paul Castellano is very similar to when Phil Leotardo’s hitters took out Faustino “Doc” Santoro.

Re: Lupertazzis based upon... - 08/13/12 12:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Mastronardo
I assume the Sopranos were based on the DeCavalcantes, and the Lupertazzis on the Gambinos.

1. John Sacrimoni and John Gotti were both incarcerated in a prison but later transferred to the United States Medical Center for Federal Prisoners in Springfield, Missouri. They both died from cancer.

2. Sacrimoni came to Tony Soprano and asked him to murder Lupertazzi capo Rusty Millio in Season Six. John Gotti also requested another family, the DeCavalcante guys, to clip someone. The murder of Fred Weiss wasn’t so different than when Rusty was whacked — Milio was in his car, Weiss was by his car.

3. The shooting of Big Paul Castellano is very similar to when Phil Leotardo’s hitters took out Faustino “Doc” Santoro.

Good point i never thought of Johnny Sac and John Gotti maybe they were based on the Gambinos but i still think the DiMeos were based on the NJ branch of the Luchesse family .

Re: Lupertazzis based upon... - 08/13/12 01:02 AM

Good point i never thought of Johnny Sac and John Gotti maybe they were based on the Gambinos but i still think the DiMeos were based on the NJ branch of the Luchesse family .

There are many options for who the Sopranos were ideally modelled on. The New York Lupertazzi family on the other hand, are definitely the fictional Gambinos in my opinion. Stepping away from John Sacrimoni; In the Gambino family, John Gotti Sr. wanted his son to take over, Carmine Lupertazzi Sr. wanted the same thing — Carmine Jr. (John Gotti Jr.) taking over. Also, the Gambinos and the Lupertazzis were both based in Brooklyn and Queens.

Re: Lupertazzis based upon... - 08/13/12 01:57 AM

There are many options for who the Sopranos were ideally modelled on. The New York Lupertazzi family on the other hand, are definitely the fictional Gambinos in my opinion. Stepping away from John Sacrimoni; In the Gambino family, John Gotti Sr. wanted his son to take over, Carmine Lupertazzi Sr. wanted the same thing — Carmine Jr. (John Gotti Jr.) taking over. Also, the Gambinos and the Lupertazzis were both based in Brooklyn and Queens.

I wouldn't say definitely i agree with some people in this thread that it's a mix of the 5.

Re: Lupertazzis based upon... - 08/13/12 04:52 PM

I’ve come up with reasons on why the fictonal Lupertazzi Crime Family might have been based on the Genoveses, the Colombos and the Patriarcas.

THE COLOMBO CRIME FAMILY:
- Vito’s sudden loss of weight resembles the health problems which were suffered by Colombo Crime Family capo Gerald Clemenza.
THE GENOVESE CRIME FAMILY:
- The man who spotted Vito in the gay bar was named Sal Iacuzzo — David Chase said that Iacuzzo was based on real-life Genovese Crime Family capo Matthew (Matty the Horse) Ianniello.
Outside of the FIVE FAMILIES:
- Gerry Torciano, a rising star with the Lupertazzis, was shot in a similar way that Patriarca Crime Family boss Frank Salemme, except Salemme did not die.

Re: Lupertazzis based upon... - 08/13/12 05:13 PM

I’ve come up with reasons on why the fictonal Lupertazzi Crime Family might have been based on the Genoveses, the Colombos and the Patriarcas.

- Vito’s sudden loss of weight resembles the health problems which were suffered by Colombo Crime Family capo Gerald Clemenza.
- The man who spotted Vito in the gay bar was named Sal Iacuzzo — David Chase said that Iacuzzo was based on real-life Genovese Crime Family capo Matthew (Matty the Horse) Ianniello.
- Gerry Torciano, a rising star with the Lupertazzis, was shot in a similar way that Patriarca Crime Family boss Frank Salemme, except Salemme did not die.

Another reason for the Genovese is uncle Junes wandering about in a dressing gown like Gigante. Also Vito may have been based on the Decalvacante guy ( can't remember his name ) who was killed for being gay.

Re: Lupertazzis based upon... - 08/13/12 06:18 PM

Another reason for the Genovese is uncle Junes wandering about in a dressing gown like Gigante. Also Vito may have been based on the Decalvacante guy ( can't remember his name ) who was killed for being gay.

For sure. I think when Junior’s dementia worsens, him walking off in a rope could easily have been based on The Chin’s actions. The DeCavalcante acting boss who was killed because of his rumored closet homosexuality was named Johnny Boy D’Amato, and yes, it is possible that Vito was inspired on him although their ranks were different.
Posted By: Feech_La_Manna85

Re: Lupertazzis based upon... - 08/15/12 06:44 AM

As for who Tony Soprano was made after Ive always just figured it was a mixture of a few guys (V. Ocean, Taccetta, etc) but I've heard that Chase made the family after Richie the Boot from a few different sources. Not sure how reliable this link is tho.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-453150/Savagery-greed-life-crime--meet-real-Sopranos.html
Posted By: Quiet_Doms

Re: Lupertazzis based upon... - 08/15/18 09:47 PM

It’s so hard to tell.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET