Home

Tony and Junior's final scene together

Posted By: Ice

Tony and Junior's final scene together - 04/27/09 05:34 AM

One of the most heartbreaking scenes of the entire show and definitely one of my favorites. Mostly b/c, even though Junior doesn't remember anyone by this point, and has clearly been suffering from severe mental disease over the years, he clearly recognizes Tony for just a brief moment upon seeing him, as Tony asks him in an abrasive manner...You don't remember that you shot me? Alright, enough with the fuckin' burns. I'm Anthony, Johnny's son...To which Junior replies...The fuck you want, a boutonniere?

lol THAT is vintage Junior Soprano!!!

This offers a very interesting commentary on those who suffer from amnesia and dementia, perhaps suggesting that there is a 'selective' amnesia element to be factored in, brought on by the stress of the negative connotations we have with certain memories and life in general. (The show certainly portrayed A.J's suicide attempt as somewhat contrived and shallow (no pun intended), perhaps they're suggesting the same in some levels with Junior's disease?)

This is just such an immensely powerful scene. By the time Tony starts talking about the money for Bobby's kids and everything else, Junior has totally slipped away again, and Tony says "You really don't remember who I am." And by that point he doesn't. But I think Junior is in a stage in his digression where he was still just barely capable of remembering certain little things, places and moments in time, and seeing Tony briefly brings him back. This whole thing is too sad:

Posted By: DE NIRO

Re: Tony and Junior's final scene together - 04/27/09 06:28 PM

I agree, great scene, just a pity we didn't see more of JR in the last season..
Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra

Re: Tony and Junior's final scene together - 04/28/09 01:21 PM

What do you make of the jump-cut from Tony looking at Junior from afar to the long shot of them both together? A POV 'what-if'?

(Perhaps not insignificantly, Chase does the same thing again in the next scene, which is also the final of the series; Tony enters the diner, we see what he sees before him, we see him again looking on, then the next "POV" shot actually contains him in the scene.)
Posted By: veneratio

Re: Tony and Junior's final scene together - 05/21/09 12:25 AM

It's a powerful scene.
Especially wehn Tony grows frustrated and says:
"You and my father, you used to run North Jersey together!"
Junior looks to perk up and says "We did?"
"That's nice"...

All those years risking life and limb and prison time, the notoriety, the lifestyle, in the end it was merely a trifle to Junior.
I wonder if that was a big wake up call to Tony.
Posted By: LaFamiglia

Re: Tony and Junior's final scene together - 06/03/09 07:32 PM

This scene touched me alot because my Pap always reminded me of Junior and watching my Pap slow down through the years with his Parkinson's Disease (since 2001) and Dimentia(since 2008) resembled the way Junior slowed down in his health. Watching the last scene between Tony and Junior was similar to talking with my Pap sometimes, but he didn't mumble goofy stuff all like that. My Pap, however, passed away on May 19 of this year. He was a great man.
Posted By: Paddy

Re: Tony and Junior's final scene together - 06/03/09 09:08 PM

Originally Posted By: veneratio
All those years risking life and limb and prison time, the notoriety, the lifestyle, in the end it was merely a trifle to Junior.
I wonder if that was a big wake up call to Tony.

I think Tony was waaaaay too far past redemption by that point...Throughout the entire series we see Tony getting darker and darker. Example: Would Tony have killed Chris in Season 1 or 2 or 3, even under the same circumstances? I seriously doubt it. Would he have considered killing Paulie just for talking too much in general? I don't think so. But by Season 6B I think Tony would have killed anyone, save maybe Meadow and A.J (but not Carmela), if he thought it might save,or even benefit, himself in the long run.
Posted By: veneratio

Re: Tony and Junior's final scene together - 06/03/09 09:41 PM

My deepest sympathy to you and your family LaFamiglia.
Posted By: SC

Re: Tony and Junior's final scene together - 06/03/09 09:45 PM

Originally Posted By: LaFamiglia
My Pap, however, passed away on May 19 of this year. He was a great man.

I'm sure he was, LF. I'm very sorry to hear that he passed away, and equally sad to hear the details of a slow demise. It's a terrible thing to watch a loved one slowly slip away.

Hang in there and remember the good times you shared with your dad!!
Posted By: LaFamiglia

Re: Tony and Junior's final scene together - 06/05/09 09:01 AM

Thank you Veneratio and SC. He was my Grandfather, not my dad. I notice alot of people use the name Pap for Dad. I must come from a different generation. He suffered through out the years from his Parkinson's and eventually his body and mind weren't working well together. Being there when he passed added closure to the years of seeing him with his illness. I googled "quotes for strength" or something like that and found this:

"If ever there is tomorrow when we're not together.. there is something you must always remember. you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. but the most important thing is, even if we're apart.. i'll always be with you.” -Christopher Robin to Pooh

This is from Easter, 2006

This is from Labor Day, 2008
Posted By: gottamoveon

Re: Tony and Junior's final scene together - 08/30/09 11:25 AM

Can't help thinking the meds he took for something that was originally a hoax to stay out of jail finally done his brain in.Although when the chinese kid beats him up, the end scene of that episode. (Cat on his lap, -Marlon Brando- godfatheresque.) Is he plotting on Tony one final time for leaving him to all this.He always used his uncle.And Tony started the whole family fued when pretending Juniour had control, right from the very beginning.
Posted By: Quiet_Doms

Re: Tony and Junior's final scene together - 08/15/18 10:36 PM

I always felt he faked that dementia.
Posted By: Quiet_Doms

Re: Tony and Junior's final scene together - 08/17/18 12:43 AM

He was antiquated and times were changing ever so rapidly.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET