Home

Sopranos Movie

Posted By: CHRISTOPHER

Sopranos Movie - 06/03/07 04:24 PM

Does anybody know about the so called (Soprano Movie)???
Posted By: chopper

Re: Sopranos Movie - 06/03/07 04:32 PM

No not at the minute but if it did happen then i would really like it if they went back to the sixties showing johnny boy soprano and junior i know its been said on other threads but i think it would make an excellent movie.

Re: Sopranos Movie - 06/03/07 04:33 PM

yeah i heard about the johnny boy part and junior, but they could also put walnuts in there to, that would be great.
Posted By: olivant

Re: Sopranos Movie - 06/03/07 04:47 PM

I would enjoy that movie.
Posted By: chopper

Re: Sopranos Movie - 06/03/07 05:50 PM

Lets hope they make it happen
Posted By: Don Cardi

Re: Sopranos Movie - 06/16/07 12:46 AM

Originally Posted By: CHRISTOPHER
Does anybody know about the so called (Soprano Movie)???

Yes. I hear that they will be filming it on Peoria!
Posted By: dontommasino

Re: Sopranos Movie - 06/17/07 02:31 AM

I'd like to see a movie detailing Johnny and a younger Junior and their exploits along with Don Eckley DiMeo, Feech LeManna and a younger Paulie Gualtieri. I'd also like to see them show the rise of Tony Soprano, Silvio Dante and Big Pussy into the DiMeo crime family. The film could start say in the 1970's and span till say 1986 when Johnny Boy died.

Re: Sopranos Movie - 06/17/07 04:07 AM

yeah during the columbian thing and could end where the tv show ended and make an actual ending!

Re: Sopranos Movie - 06/17/07 04:08 AM

cut the sarcasm i wasnt lieing about the gandolfini crap so seriously?

Re: Sopranos Movie - 06/17/07 07:03 AM

Originally Posted By: CHRISTOPHER
cut the sarcasm i wasnt lieing about the gandolfini crap so seriously?

What the heck are you talking about?

I read that they were thinking of filming part of the movie in Peioria! I read it in the Peoria Journal Star, you know, the newspaper that had all the coverage of that Convention where you met Gandolfini.
Posted By: Tony Love

Re: Sopranos Movie - 06/17/07 05:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Don Cardi
I read it in the Peoria Journal Star, you know, the newspaper that had all the coverage of that Convention where you met Gandolfini.

DC, you're only fooling yourself. But what really surprises me is you didn't catch this the first thousand times you watched the GF:

Re: Sopranos Movie - 06/17/07 05:04 PM

Can't wait for the movie: "Night of the Living Ade"

Re: Sopranos Movie - 06/17/07 05:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Tony Love
 Originally Posted By: Don Cardi
I read it in the Peoria Journal Star, you know, the newspaper that had all the coverage of that Convention where you met Gandolfini.

DC, you're only fooling yourself. But what really surprises me is you didn't catch this the first thousand times you watched the GF:

Surprised?

Don't you remember what pop taught us? I do. That's why I never let anyone outside the family know what I'm thinking.

If you turn to page 3, you'll find the Sopranos Movie story.

Re: Sopranos Movie - 06/17/07 05:20 PM

Originally Posted By: olivant
Can't wait for the movie: "Night of the Living Ade"

I think that "Return of the Living Ade" would be a more appropriate title.

Re: Sopranos Movie - 06/18/07 01:09 AM

You know what would be the a real cool beginning for a sequel movie?

The camera peers through a doorway into a large room much like the one in the finale in which Tony visited Junior. And just like that scene, it is a mental institution and one sees someone sitting in a wheelchair just peering out a window. The camera draws closer and and around the side of the person's head and we see that it is an older and decrepit Tony. Someone says "Tony, there's someone here to see you." The camera goes to the face of an elderly Carmela. The camera moves back and forth bewteen her and Tony and there's some conversation, then the camera moves in closer and closer on Carmela's face and the shot dissolves to her in her kitchen years and years before just like the old days. From then on the storyline is what happened post-Holstein's.
Posted By: Longneck

Re: Sopranos Movie - 06/18/07 06:58 AM

but Tony'd have to be alive for that to happen

Re: Sopranos Movie - 06/18/07 02:14 PM

Well, yeah!
Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra

Re: Sopranos Movie - 06/18/07 04:24 PM

I could be real cynical and say Chase left an open ending in case his career in a year's time is looking grim and he can always revisit it.

If he did, if he were to make a film of this, and have Tony in it (which would be essential), then it defeats the entire purpose of that ambiguous ending, the whole tone of that final scene. Unless the purpose of that scene was commercial and not aesthetic.

For the record, The Sopranos shouldn't be brought to a cinema. The structuring of films rarely sits well with TV-to-film spinoffs. And I think it would be somehow demeaning to television as a medium, as if the whole show was a platform, a basis, to work our way up to a film. Notice how many TV shows are made into films, but how many films are made into TV shows? Exactly: not many. That's not because Film is in anyway "better" than TV, but I think a lot of people treat it so. Like, if there's a film made of it, it is somehow more immortal.

TV and Film sometimes overlap, but they are fundamentally different media, and I think we should sustain some sort of integrity for the uniqueness of both.
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: Sopranos Movie - 06/18/07 04:28 PM

Very well put, Mick. I agree 100%.

Re: Sopranos Movie - 06/18/07 04:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra
I could be real cynical and say Chase left an open ending in case his career in a year's time is looking grim and he can always revisit it.

If he did, if he were to make a film of this, and have Tony in it (which would be essential), then it defeats the entire purpose of that ambiguous ending, the whole tone of that final scene. Unless the purpose of that scene was commercial and not aesthetic.

For the record, The Sopranos shouldn't be brought to a cinema. The structuring of films rarely sits well with TV-to-film spinoffs. And I think it would be somehow demeaning to television as a medium, as if the whole show was a platform, a basis, to work our way up to a film. Notice how many TV shows are made into films, but how many films are made into TV shows? Exactly: not many.

TV and Film sometimes overlap, but they are fundamentally different media, and I think we should sustain some sort of integrity for the uniqueness of both.

Capo, I couldn't agree with you more...on everything that you've said in your post! It's right on.

The ONLY thing that maybe Chase would be able to get away with, and it's a big maybe, is a spinoff series showing young Uncle Junior and young Johnny Soprano in their early days. This way they wouldn't have to bring back any of the original actors, and could portray them a younger people while using new actors.

People just might accept a spinoff of that kind.

Re: Sopranos Movie - 06/18/07 04:31 PM

I agree with that, too, DC. An early years spinoff might just make it. I know I'd watch it. I think a movie, at this point, would cheapen the show's legacy.

Re: Sopranos Movie - 06/18/07 04:34 PM

They might, and I might tune in with curiosity too, but it would be a commercial expansion, for me, not an artistic one; I can't see how Chase could give any further insight into this world of mobsters, family life, oedipal complexes, estranged parentage, homosexuality, race and culture divides, class divides, murder, guilt and redemption with anything new, anything we've not already seen or we don't already know. It'd be like watching the Young Vito scenes from The Godfather Part II without the context of the Michael scenes. An exercise in how to milk success.
Posted By: Sopranorleone

Re: Sopranos Movie - 06/18/07 04:44 PM

It would be able to delve deep into the pre-RICO days. Sort of expands the possibilities.

Re: Sopranos Movie - 06/18/07 04:44 PM

PB - I agree that a movie would cheapen the legacy of the show.

Mick - I would hope that if Chase did decide to do something like that, he would do so with the same artistic approach that he took with The Sopranos. Perhaps showing us what young Tony went through and witnessed at an early age that helped make him choose the path that he took in life. Hey, you never know.

Re: Sopranos Movie - 06/18/07 04:46 PM

Edward Norton as Uncle Eckley, using his PRIMAL FEAR speech impediment.

I know, that wasn't nice.

Re: Sopranos Movie - 06/18/07 08:45 PM

If Chase issues a movie, what chance do you think there is that we would be either extolling its virtues or criticizing the hell out of it? In terms of closure or whatever, what would be the difference between the finale and the movie? Could be nothing.
It could be a financial success or it could end up like the DaVinci Code and not do too well financially and be crticized til the cows come home.
Posted By: Raymondo Corleone

Re: Sopranos Movie - 06/18/07 08:46 PM

Notice how many TV shows are made into films, but how many films are made into TV shows? Exactly: not many.

Out of curiosity, I'm going to try to name some. Buffy the Vampire Slayer, MASH, Lock Stock & Two Smoking Barrels, Star Wars, Stargate, Highlander, Planet of the Apes, and Le Femme Nikita all spring to mind. I don't think it's that uncommon for films to move to the small screen, though I agree it's definitely a case of 'downgrading'!

Re: Sopranos Movie - 06/19/07 02:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Sopranorleone
It would be able to delve deep into the pre-RICO days. Sort of expands the possibilities.
So basically, a more explicit look at violence and illegal rackets, not so much the family life of Johnny Boy Soprano. But even then, even with that family life present, we already know Livia gave him a hard time, I'm sure they had their moments of affection, too.

What makes that narrative thread so great is the fact that we always see it from a distance; even the flashback scenes are filtered through the eyes of Tony. They're fascinating, they're great, they're even deep, so long as they're related to Tony - Tony's anxieties, panic attacks, disturbed view of his sister, his uncle, his father, especially his mother (he's seeing Melfi in the first place because of his mother, and so without Livia's character the show never begins).

Take Tony out of the question, which you'd be doing in a prequel, and what you've got is an exercise in pointlessness, a mere cash-in, something, I'd even go so far as to say, completely unrelated to the original series... which might in a way be a good thing, but let's face it, if the characters weren't called Sopranos, we'd be calling it a phony rip-off. It's like a poor, scraped-up second serving for those in the diner still hungry - but this second serving tastes half as nice, because this time they left out the meat. All you're getting is vegetables and few roast potatoes here and there.

Re: Sopranos Movie - 06/19/07 02:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Raymondo Corleone
Notice how many TV shows are made into films, but how many films are made into TV shows? Exactly: not many.

Out of curiosity, I'm going to try to name some. Buffy the Vampire Slayer, MASH, Lock Stock & Two Smoking Barrels, Star Wars, Stargate, Highlander, Planet of the Apes, and Le Femme Nikita all spring to mind. I don't think it's that uncommon for films to move to the small screen, though I agree it's definitely a case of 'downgrading'!
Good point, actually. Very, very good response.

Re: Sopranos Movie - 06/19/07 02:27 PM

I agree Capo. And that is why I said, in my post above, that Chase could perhaps show us what a "young" Tony went through at an early age that put him on the road to becoming who he became in his adult life. As with The Sopranos, it could show how family and FAMILY affected young Tony and his sisters.

Re: Sopranos Movie - 06/19/07 02:29 PM

I'd like to see how his sister Barbara ended up "normal."

Re: Sopranos Movie - 06/19/07 02:36 PM

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
I'd like to see how his sister Barbara ended up "normal."

Funny because my wife and I were talking exactly about that last night.

My theory is that she was the sister who "ran" away, before it was too late for herself, from the family to persue a normal life. Probably a "let me get the fuck out of here before I wind up like my sister and my brother." She probably only made her appearances at family funerals, weddings,
the big "I have to be there" events.

I thought that I spotted her for a quick second at Bobby's wake/funeral.

Janis probably stood around a little longer than her and by the time she decided to take off, it was too late because she was already affected by her mother and that kind of an upbringing.

And we all know about Tony.

Re: Sopranos Movie - 06/19/07 02:40 PM

It's funny, if you look at the birth order.

1st child: Janice - A horrible human being

2nd child: Tony - A better person but still a criminal. At least he has a conscience.

3rd child: Barbara - Seemingly the best of the lot.

They seem to get progressively better.

I'm the oldest in my family. I guess that doesn't bode well for me.
Posted By: Mignon

Re: Sopranos Movie - 06/19/07 03:25 PM

I'm the oldest in my family. I guess that doesn't bode well for me.

I'm the youngest in my family. Does that mean I can go either way?
Posted By: Beth E

Re: Sopranos Movie - 06/19/07 03:27 PM

They seem to get progressively better.

As the baby of my family I will agree with that. \:\)

Re: Sopranos Movie - 06/19/07 03:27 PM

You go both ways, Miggie?
Posted By: Mignon

Re: Sopranos Movie - 06/19/07 03:28 PM

Good & Bad yes
Posted By: Beth E

Re: Sopranos Movie - 06/19/07 03:29 PM

Nice top of page!
Posted By: Tony Love

Re: Sopranos Movie - 06/19/07 04:38 PM

Buffy the Vampire Slayer, MASH, Lock Stock & Two Smoking Barrels, Star Wars, Stargate, Highlander, Planet of the Apes, and Le Femme Nikita all spring to mind.

I do believe MASH was originally a movie before television sitcom (and I don't think it was that bad of a movie or television sitcom). Star Wars was a movie first too. It's success lead to the inevitable urge to make television shows out of it.

I love(d) the Sopranos, but I seriously hope Chase decides against making a movie. If he decides to go the route of making a movie, I hope he will at least have enough decency to make it a prequel to the HBO series.
Posted By: Raymondo Corleone

Re: Sopranos Movie - 06/20/07 08:47 AM

Originally Posted By: Tony Love
Buffy the Vampire Slayer, MASH, Lock Stock & Two Smoking Barrels, Star Wars, Stargate, Highlander, Planet of the Apes, and Le Femme Nikita all spring to mind.

I do believe MASH was originally a movie before television sitcom (and I don't think it was that bad of a movie or television sitcom). Star Wars was a movie first too. It's succeed lead to the inevitable urge to make television shows out of it.

They were all movies before becoming TV series \:\)
Posted By: BDuff

Re: Sopranos Movie - 06/20/07 06:33 PM

For the record, The Sopranos shouldn't be brought to a cinema. The structuring of films rarely sits well with TV-to-film spinoffs. And I think it would be somehow demeaning to television as a medium, as if the whole show was a platform, a basis, to work our way up to a film. Notice how many TV shows are made into films, but how many films are made into TV shows? Exactly: not many. That's not because Film is in anyway "better" than TV, but I think a lot of people treat it so. Like, if there's a film made of it, it is somehow more immortal.

I disagree. I think a movie adaptation of The Sopranos could work and could be good.

I think Chase left enough out there for a movie to be made. HBO/Time Warner would pony up the money anyway, a Sopranos movie would be a hit and would make them a lot of money.
Posted By: ScarFather

Re: Sopranos Movie - 06/22/07 02:36 PM

Originally Posted By: BDuff

I disagree. I think a movie adaptation of The Sopranos could work and could be good.

I think Chase left enough out there for a movie to be made. HBO/Time Warner would pony up the money anyway, a Sopranos movie would be a hit and would make them a lot of money.

We all know that it doesnt matter how much he "left enough out there" that you wont be seeing much of anything in the movie.

Alot of people are expecting to see the continuation of the diner scene... when it will probably be something like.... you dont even see his trial, he has beat all counts against him and he is buying a new car or something.

That Chase for ya... keep on chasin'
Posted By: Mr.MojoRisin

Re: Sopranos Movie - 06/22/07 04:34 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing a movie or spin-off in the Sopranos universe. Like for instance a movie/show about a young Uncle Jr. and Johnny Boy running the Jersey family in the 60's.
Posted By: BDuff

Re: Sopranos Movie - 06/22/07 04:38 PM

Originally Posted By: ScarFather
 Originally Posted By: BDuff

You're probably right...

We all know that it doesnt matter how much he "left enough out there" that you wont be seeing much of anything in the movie.

Alot of people are expecting to see the continuation of the diner scene... when it will probably be something like.... you dont even see his trial, he has beat all counts against him and he is buying a new car or something.

That Chase for ya... keep on chasin'
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET