Home

Sopranos on A&E?

Posted By: Don_Inabinette

Sopranos on A&E? - 12/12/06 08:51 PM

I heard that the sopranos were coming to A&E is this true?
Posted By: Signor Vitelli

Re: Sopranos on A&E? - 12/12/06 09:17 PM

Yes, it's true; The Sopranos will air on A&E beginning in January, 2007.

There was an article in the NY Daily News a few days ago, and it's just as we might have expected - the episodes will be cut and redubbed to make them more "acceptable" for commercial television.

I guess I'm one of the few people who has never seen even one episode of the show. (I don't get HBO.) I'm hoping that one day, I'll eventually be able to see the series on DVD.

In the meantime, I think I'll avoid the A&E version.

Signor V.
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: Sopranos on A&E? - 12/13/06 03:20 AM

Yea, they've been advertising that here too. I can imagine how they'll chop it up, but I guess for those who have never seen it, it might give you an idea of the characters and what all the fuss is about.

Vitelli, you should watch it (or rent the DVD's which is definitely better). I really think you'd like it. Heck, you can see them all before the final season starts (now in March). Then you'll be all caught up.

TIS

Re: Sopranos on A&E? - 12/13/06 05:54 AM

I'll definitely skip the bowdlerized A&E version. I've heard so many good things about the series that I think it's worth holding out until I can see it on DVD or someone sends me VHS tapes from HBO.

Case in point: I have the book Donnie Brasco. Thought it was superb - one of the best Mob books I've ever read. Never saw the movie. Then, a few days ago, it aired on CourtTV (a commercial station). Well, believe me, they absolutely eviscerated it! Dialogue redubbed, scenes ending abruptly with fadeouts added, the whole Japanese restaurant scene missing, etc.

I was so upset (read: foaming at the mouth) that I went onto Half.com and found a very good deal on the Special Edition DVD. And, for good measure, I bought Pistone's other book The Way of the Wiseguy.

You see, I do not buy DVD's (though maybe I should start). The only DVD player I have is my computer. But, I was that enraged. I was a real schmuck on wheels for watching Donnie Brasco on a commercial TV station.

So, I guess I'll wait a little longer and see The Sopranos as it was meant to be seen.

Signor V.

Re: Sopranos on A&E? - 12/13/06 01:39 PM

I didn't get HBO until the third season of The Sopranos. A friend at work asked me if I ever watched it and I told her no. She didn't have HBO either, but a friend of hers rented the first season and let her borrow it. She asked if I wanted to see it and I said sure. She gave me the box set and I figured I'd watch an episode or two an evening. Well, I watched the entire season in two days. It probably would have been in one day, but I didn't put it in til late afternoon and went to bed and got up and finished it. I was hooked. Then, fortunately, she was lent the second season by the same friend and again lent it to me. I knew I "had" to get HBO.

I know some are disappointed at some seasons/episodes and I know sometimes we expect certain storylines to progress or certain things to happen, but for me, it's "still" the best show on tv. I love it.

I'll add though, I am pissed off at how the makers string us along each season, but evidently not enough to not watch it.

TIS
Posted By: Don Cardi

Re: Sopranos on A&E? - 12/15/06 12:25 PM

Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
I can imagine how they'll chop it up, but I guess for those who have never seen it, it might give you an idea of the characters and what all the fuss is about.

Vitelli, you should watch it (or rent the DVD's which is definitely better). I really think you'd like it. Heck, you can see them all before the final season starts (now in March). Then you'll be all caught up.

TIS

TIS -

I read an article a few months back. Supposedly when they originally shot the episodes, they shot them twice; once with the originally written vulgarity and then again with the language that would be acceptable on regular TV. Chase figured that someday a local station may want to buy the episodes so he had the foresight to shoot two version of dialogue. Smart man, huh? They also shot certain violent scenes from different angles and the Bada Bing scenes where re-shot with the dancers wearing tops and bottoms.

BTW, you get me PMs?

Vitelli -

Wadda mean dat you neva saw an episode of Sopranos? Was da matta wich chu? I tink your brains gone souwa from all dat Baronessa you been eatin!

I suggest that you watch the Sopranos on DVD, the way that it was intended to be watched. Unedited. Go out and rent or buy the first season. I promise that you will be hooked!

Don Cardi

Re: Sopranos on A&E? - 12/15/06 01:41 PM

DC,

Oh that's right. I do remember hearing that they shot two different versions. You know, I always thought my parents would like the show, but hate the language/sex scenes. Seems the older they get the more offended they are. This might be just there style.

Also, I pm'd you twice (Dec. 1st & 11th I believe.) Did you not receive them?? Let me know. Maybe Geoff messed something up. Speaking of Geoff, where the heck are you?

TIS

NOTE TO DC: DC, I received your PM and PM'd back just a couple minutes ago. I don't understand why you never recieved the other two. I still have them in my "sent" pm's. Let me know if you get it.

Re: Sopranos on A&E? - 01/10/07 11:15 PM

Just a reminder that tonight is the debut of The Sopranos on A & E. I'm gonna try to catch it. It'll be nice to see it from the beginning again, plus I'm curious to see a "cleaned-up" version.

Do you think it'll affect the story? I know they made two versions of each episode in anticipation of the series running in syndication, so at least there won't be ridiculous inserts like they have on GF when it's on tv.

TIS

Re: Sopranos on A&E? - 01/11/07 01:03 AM

I don't think that it will affect the storyline itself. If alternate dialogue was originally recorded, like they claim it was, computer technology covers up the Bada Bing girls and different angles were shot for the violent scenes, then the story should be just fine.

However, with lines like AJ's " What no f**king ziti?" and Junior's The feds are so far up my ass I can taste their brill cream" being edited, it does take something away. Not for nothing but the way that guys like Uncle Junior use their curse words is hilarious and deleting or changing the dialogue of those types of characters will take something away from those comedic scenes.

But we'll see tonight.

Don Cardi

Re: Sopranos on A&E? - 01/11/07 02:26 PM

Ok, I only watched half of it, and admit I was also watching "Criminal Minds", so I kept going back and forth.

I have always thought, even though it's my favorite show, that I wouldn't mind if they trimmed the language and sex somewhat. However, last night it seemed so very tame. Tony (and the others)not using the "F" word or for that matter any bad language that I noted anyway. I suppose I'm just use to the HBO version, but from what I saw, it sure didn't seem the same. The Sopranos.....the Cleaver family???

Btw, how young not only Tony looked, but AJ looks like a baby!!

I'm sure I'll still watch it. Maybe I just have to get use to it hu??? Is it on once a week or daily? Does anyone know?

TIS
Posted By: SC

Re: Sopranos on A&E? - 01/11/07 02:44 PM

Is it on once a week or daily? Does anyone know?

I believe its on every Wednesday night.
Posted By: goombah

Re: Sopranos on A&E? - 01/11/07 04:39 PM

I don't have HBO and had only seen one or two episdoes. I watched the 1st 40 minutes last night and it was commerical free up to that point. I recorded it and will watch the rest later. I'll give it a few weeks to see if I like it - so far, so good.

I was suprised that A&E left in the word "shit" unedited. I know "bullshit" has been on regular tv, but was surprised to hear the former.

I thought the removal of the f-word was done well. It's not like watching "Goodfellas" on tv and having the edits butchered. I thought it was smooth - you knew what they were saying, but "friggin" or "freaking" came out. I did like the "there's no f---in ziti" statement by the Soprano kid.

Re: Sopranos on A&E? - 01/11/07 05:12 PM

Ok, I only watched half of it, and admit I was also watching "Criminal Minds", so I kept going back and forth.

TIS

So you were switching back and forth betweem "The Sopranos" and "Criminal Minds" which is aka the President's speech?

Don Cardi
Posted By: Mignon

Re: Sopranos on A&E? - 01/11/07 05:21 PM

Man I missed it last night I forgot it was on so I watched the GF on Spike instead.

Would someone remind this old lady next time it comes on?

Re: Sopranos on A&E? - 01/11/07 07:49 PM

Mig

From what I understand, it will be at 9 PM EST each Wed on A&E. And I refuse to call you old
Posted By: Sopranorleone

Re: Sopranos on A&E? - 01/11/07 08:13 PM

Anyone know why they changed "Satriale's" to "Centanni's"??? Copyright, legal stuff maybe????

Me, personally- I'm stickin with the DVDs.

Re: Sopranos on A&E? - 01/11/07 08:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Sopranorleone
Anyone know why they changed "Satriale's" to "Centanni's"??? Copyright, legal stuff maybe????

Actually it was originally Centanni's and then I believe from the second episode on it became Satriale's.

Don Cardi

Re: Sopranos on A&E? - 01/11/07 11:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Don Cardi

TIS

So you were switching back and forth betweem "The Sopranos" and "Criminal Minds" which is aka the President's speech?

Don Cardi

Remember, I didn't say that you did!! Actually the President's speech was on at 6:00 p.m. here, so it didn't interfere with my programming.

Anyway, back to the Sopranos....What is the exact date now that the last season starts???

TIS
Posted By: SC

Re: Sopranos on A&E? - 01/12/07 10:08 AM

Anyway, back to the Sopranos....What is the exact date now that the last season starts???

Sunday, April 8th.
Posted By: DE NIRO

Re: Sopranos on A&E? - 01/12/07 10:25 AM

so about october/November in UK,great
Posted By: Antihero

Re: Sopranos on A&E? - 01/12/07 10:42 AM

Yes. And around jan/feb 2008 in Denmark...Arrghh!!

Re: Sopranos on A&E? - 01/12/07 10:48 AM

Man i couldn't wait a year that would drive me nuts..

Re: Sopranos on A&E? - 01/12/07 10:51 AM

Thank God for stream Tv sites...
My country´s Tv stations are so slow. The first time we were introduced to The Sopranos, was in 2001, as far as i remember. When was the first time in U.S?

Re: Sopranos on A&E? - 01/12/07 10:59 AM

I thnik 1999 was when season 1 first started in the US.

Re: Sopranos on A&E? - 01/12/07 11:47 AM

There you see. We are so way behind, when it comes to Tv.
But then were a little to "upfront", on the cartoon drawings

Re: Sopranos on A&E? - 01/12/07 12:56 PM

Originally Posted By: DE NIRO
I thnik 1999 was when season 1 first started in the US.

That sounds about right b/c the Soprano nephew was talking about where the mob/family would be after the millenium. Sadly, there are shots in the opening of the WTC as well.
Posted By: Double-J

Re: Sopranos on A&E? - 01/14/07 05:39 AM

Originally Posted By: Sopranorleone

Actually it was originally Centanni's and then I believe from the second episode on it became Satriale's.

Don Cardi

The A&E also seems to have a more general, re-edited opening title to go with this. The first season (or at least the pilot) on my DVD shows Centanni's, and the WTC. Neither are in the A&E version. Chase removed the WTC after the third season I believe.

Anyways, the intro aside, I'm glad I've got the DVD's. The A&E version just seemed like a cheap carbon copy. Like wanting to hear the Beatles, and being stuck with the Monkees.
Posted By: Gattone

Re: Sopranos on A&E? - 01/14/07 02:10 PM

As a rural Midwest WASP who has never been to NY or NJ, how typical is the language used on The Sopranos? If someone hung out with non-"mobbed-up" people in those neighborhoods, would it sound just as colorful? Or is a lot of that just clever writing in deep blue ink?

Re: Sopranos on A&E? - 01/14/07 03:54 PM

Gattone, my grandparents are from the heart of "Joisey" and I must say that the language is very similar if not dead on. For example, I am always told of my "muddha, faddha, and bruddha." Usually anything with an -ow becomes -a, like "winda" But of course I'm sure you'll find people in Jersey that speak more properly, there are always exceptions.

Re: Sopranos on A&E? - 01/15/07 10:46 AM

For those who missed the beginning of The Sopranos on A&E last Wednesday, it appears that it is being rerun tonight, Monday, with an additional rerun later in the evening.

Don't know if this following-Monday repeat will be every week, but I did notice it in tonight's schedule.

Signor V.
Posted By: Longneck

Re: Sopranos on A&E? - 01/15/07 08:46 PM

I noticed that too, I wondered about that...

Re: Sopranos on A&E? - 05/22/07 08:17 PM

Why is A&E already running "reruns" of Seasons 1 & 2 and taking a break until next week before airing Season 3? This upcoming week will be the 2nd week in a row of no "new" episodes.

Re: Sopranos on A&E? - 05/22/07 10:17 PM

They are doing a "viewers' choice" set of episodes, where voters picked thier 4 favorites from the 1st 2 seasons....

Re: Sopranos on A&E? - 06/14/07 03:27 PM

For those of you like me who do not have HBO, what do you think so far of what's aired on A&E? Last night was the end of Season 3. I'm glad Jackie Jr. got whacked - he was always an a-hole and always begging Tony "I'm sorry I screwed up - I won't do it again." My only complaint is that Ralph or Tony himself didn't do the job.

I liked the singing part Junior had to end last night's show. Very cool. I'll be interested to see what happens with Ralph and if Gloria is going to get even more psycho with Tony.

Posted By: BDuff

Re: Sopranos on A&E? - 06/14/07 09:44 PM

Too bad season four is upon us. I can think of a few good episodes out of that season. For all Debts Public and Private, No Show, The Weight, Whoever Did This, The Strong Silent Type, and Whitecaps are all very good but the other seven are bad. But for those who haven't seen season four yet I won't ruin the surprises! \:D

Re: Sopranos on A&E? - 12/18/07 09:25 PM

Anybody know when Season 6 is slated to start on A&E? I'm jonesing since Season 5 ended a few weeks ago and nothing is on the A&E website as far as resuming. I'm sure it's a contractual thing with HBO since they are still airing reruns of Season 6.
Posted By: Mignon

Re: Sopranos on A&E? - 12/18/07 10:09 PM

I keep forgetting it's on A&E.

Re: Sopranos on A&E? - 12/19/07 01:48 AM

I I had to guess, goombah, probably after the holidays. Networks usually dont show new episodes over holidays, as people are more focused on other things than burning thier brains with the boobtube.

Re: Sopranos on A&E? - 12/19/07 01:58 PM

I'm not sure, but I never realized how many "bloodsuckers" there were until watching this on A&E.

Re: Sopranos on A&E? - 12/19/07 07:59 PM

Has anybody seen the commercials on A&E for The Sopranos?

Awesome stuff! The kids destroying the Bicycles!

Hilarious!

Re: Sopranos on A&E? - 12/19/07 08:19 PM

Hilarious!

My favorite one is the "Mama, we all go to Hell" commercial.

Re: Sopranos on A&E? - 12/19/07 08:43 PM

Hilarious!

The one where the tractor blows up is hilarious
Posted By: Don Lights

Re: Sopranos on A&E? - 12/19/07 09:52 PM

yeah the tractor blowing up is golden.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET