Home

Dr. Melfi revelation

Posted By: Don Pope

Dr. Melfi revelation - 07/31/05 12:51 AM

Hey all! This is my first post in a long while. I been watching the Sopranos alot recently because of the season 5 DVD release, and I cant help but notice Dr. Melfi's somewhat suspicious behavior towards Tony. For example in season 5 ep 1. she obviously dosent want to be "with" Tony, as she rejects him every time he trys to take her to dinner, on a vacation etc. The way she acts, she was frightened when Tony got mad after she rejected him the 2nd time. But yet she still takes him in as a patient? In fact she actually pushes him on to come to therapy. I dont get it. I think there could be a possibility that Chase will throw us a suprise in the last season, that all this time Dr. Melfi was wired and was working for the feds, it the only explanation for how she acted with tony when he got mad at her, then the next encourages him to come to therapy? If you watch the episode and some of ep 2. You will see what im talkin about alot better. In season 1 she was completely scared at the end of the season and hated Tony etc. But then somewhere in the middle of season 2 she comes back to being his therapist again forgetting about the whole situation that would tramatize any other regular person. Perhaps she went to the police about her patient then got everyhting setup and got him back as a patient during the time she was on the "lame". Sounds plausible to me. What are everyone elses thoughts or theorys on this?
Posted By: Tony Love

Re: Dr. Melfi revelation - 07/31/05 02:24 AM

I think Chase presented Melfi this way as a demonstration of her merit. She can make a distinction between what they do in her business, with what Tony asks her to do personally. Throughout the entire series there are several situations where she does the 'right thing', this just takes that a little further. Her rejection to Tony kind of reveals that, but it also reveals her disgust with his character.
Posted By: olivant

Re: Dr. Melfi revelation - 07/31/05 04:23 PM

Dr. Melfi is highly ethical and dedicated. First of all, even though there are federal and state statutes that allow a pshychologist to divulge the content of therapy sessions, they probably would not apply in this case. So, her going to the cops is pretty much out of the question. Second of all, she is a therapist. She doesn't abandon or otherwise compromise a patient just because the therapy has some tough moments.
Posted By: Researcher

Re: Dr. Melfi revelation - 08/08/05 01:09 PM

It isn't going to happen. Faced with this question in an interview, David Chase deemed it preposterous and never going to happen, saying it would completely ruin the therapy.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET