Home

Season 5: Episode 5 "Irregular around the margins"

Posted By: Don Pope

Season 5: Episode 5 "Irregular around the margins" - 04/04/04 07:26 PM

Since no one else has posted a thread for this episode.........

While Christopher is away on business, the Sopranos crew plays a game of "telephone" with a rumor involving Adriana.
Posted By: Anthony Spilotro

Re: Season 5: Episode 5 "Irregular around the margins" - 04/04/04 11:40 PM

Uh oh.
Posted By: Freddie C.

Re: Season 5: Episode 5 "Irregular around the margins" - 04/05/04 12:51 AM

I think the guy who gets whacked might be someone named Eugene Pontercorvo. He just appeared this week on the HBO website under the Sopranos cast and crew section.
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: Season 5: Episode 5 "Irregular around the margins" - 04/05/04 12:54 AM

Well, considering the previews and write ups about this week's episode, I'll be surprised if the Adriana storyline doesn't take a significant route.

TIS
Posted By: SC

Re: Season 5: Episode 5 "Irregular around the margins" - 04/05/04 02:05 AM

Definitely one of the best episodes in the last two seasons!

This whole Chris/Adriana thing (and all its fallout) is really building up to something big.

Funniest scene of the night - Tony going back into his house to retrieve the pizza.

Re: Season 5: Episode 5 "Irregular around the margins" - 04/05/04 02:06 AM

Ok,let me be the first (oops! ok second :p ) to say this was definitely one of those episodes that took me by surprise. The best so far IMHO. Wow!!

I know Tony's a philanderer and a sleaze, but I was so hoping that he wouldn't make the moves on Adrianna. Just isn't right. Glad it didn't happen.

Didn't expect the entire storyline, nor did I think Chris would be the one that Tony was pointing the gun at. I really thought at first he was gonna kill him. And man, how quickly those rumors start. Even the cops knew about it. And Carm going to dinner so Tony could "save face". Do you think the cancer thing is a sign of anything to come? Great episode.

TIS
Posted By: Don Jasani

Re: Season 5: Episode 5 "Irregular around the margins" - 04/05/04 02:15 AM

T.I.S. is right about this being the best episode so far this season. Chris is going fucking insane. Adriana, Carmella and Meadow keep getting hotter. Tony Blundetto was hilarious in the car with the doctor..This is what a Sopranos episode is supposed to be like..Hope next week is even better.
Posted By: Goodfella 69

Re: Season 5: Episode 5 "Irregular around the margins" - 04/05/04 02:22 AM

wow, a great episode (in my opinion). Chris came very close to gettin' whacked, Tony came close to fuckin' Adrianna, and overall it was a more action/drama filled episode. Though It doesnt seem to set any further scenarios for further episodes I dont think, it was good overall.
Posted By: Just Lou

Re: Season 5: Episode 5 "Irregular around the margins" - 04/05/04 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SC:
Definitely one of the best episodes in the last two seasons!

This whole Chris/Adriana thing (and all its fallout) is really building up to something big.

Funniest scene of the night - Tony going back into his house to retrieve the pizza.
I agree, but next week looks like a "filler episode", with not much happening. ....of course that means someone will probably be getting whacked.

Re: Season 5: Episode 5 "Irregular around the margins" - 04/05/04 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Jasani:
T.I.S. is right about this being the best episode so far this season. Chris is going fucking insane. Adriana, Carmella and Meadow keep getting hotter.
Am I the only one that thinks Adriana is a "Butter Face"?
Posted By: Dynamike

Re: Season 5: Episode 5 "Irregular around the margins" - 04/05/04 02:29 AM

I feel that Tony is starting to get sloppy; Open cocaine use, allowing associates to talk out of line towards him, (came close)intimacy with his own nepiew's fiance, etc.

I also felt somewhat tricked. For example, when it comes to the end of the previous show where they say, "Next time on The Sopranos...", there seems to be a lot of editing done to splice together scenes and dialogue to make you excited about the idea of the next episode's scenario. Thus, leaving the audience disappointed rather than pleasantly surprised upon the viewing of the next episode.

No big deal, though. It is still, and will always be, my favorite show on television ever!
Posted By: Don Jasani

Re: Season 5: Episode 5 "Irregular around the margins" - 04/05/04 02:30 AM

J.L. - what you think she looks good except for her face. I'm not with you on that, she's fucking hot.. In reality, Drea De Matteo is engaged I believe to some biker dude I think.. whatever the fuck, he's a lucky guy..

Re: Season 5: Episode 5 "Irregular around the margins" - 04/05/04 02:34 AM

Speaking of cocaine, Tony's never used drugs before has he? I don't remember any episode with him using them?

Just Lou, exactly what is a butter face? Don't know if you meant just for the men to reply, but I never thought Adriana was an attractive woman, but the way she dresses/carries herself makes her attractive. My two cents. I like her character though.

TIS
Posted By: Jonny Lips

Re: Season 5: Episode 5 "Irregular around the margins" - 04/05/04 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Italian Stallionette:
Speaking of cocaine, Tony's never used drugs before has he? I don't remember any episode with him using them?

Just Lou, exactly what is a butter face? Don't know if you meant just for the men to reply, but I never thought Adriana was an attractive woman, but the way she dresses/carries herself makes her attractive. My two cents. I like her character though.

TIS
In the episode where Ralphie gets whacked, Tony says that he has done drugs before...even with Christopher. But we have never seen him do it until tonight.

Re: Season 5: Episode 5 "Irregular around the margins" - 04/05/04 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Jasani:
J.L. - what you think she looks good except for her face. I'm not with you on that, she's fucking hot.. In reality, Drea De Matteo is engaged I believe to some biker dude I think.. whatever the fuck, he's a lucky guy..
IMO, her body is a 9, but her face is a 6. She also looks a lot older than she actually is. JMO. YMMV.

Re: Season 5: Episode 5 "Irregular around the margins" - 04/05/04 03:22 AM

Quote:

Just Lou, exactly what is a butter face?
TIS
Her body is great, "But Her Face" isn't!!
Posted By: The Iceman

Re: Season 5: Episode 5 "Irregular around the margins" - 04/05/04 03:58 AM

I was somewhat disappointed in this episode. Like Dynamike said earlier, I also feel that Tony is getting kind of sloppy. Openly using Cocaine seems kind of hypocritical considering how hard he came down on Christopher and his drug use last season.
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Season 5: Episode 5 "Irregular around the margins" - 04/05/04 04:33 AM

I thought this was a grade-A episode. SC: after the pizza stunt, the funniest bit was when the rumor mill said that Tony "came on the sun visor."
NYTimes today has a story about Drea. She grew up wealthy, with a nanny. She says she plays Adriana "like me when I was 7 years old." Also says she wears falsies on the show.
Posted By: Paul Pisano

Re: Season 5: Episode 5 "Irregular around the margins" - 04/05/04 04:00 PM

Chris has Tony B to thank for his life being spared. I also thought that Tony was going to whack him. I was surprised to see Tony using cocaine. This is sort of reminicent of Scarface, "Don't get high on your own supply." Tony used impulse control in order not to do the wrong thing and it still turned out bad.
Posted By: Don Luciano

Re: Season 5: Episode 5 "Irregular around the margins" - 04/05/04 04:14 PM

WHAT THE FUCK???? i HAVE to see this episode.
Posted By: Irishman12

Re: Season 5: Episode 5 "Irregular around the margins" - 04/05/04 08:41 PM

Good episode & it had its funny parts, but I'm somewhat disappointed. From last weeks previews it looked like someone was gonna die, and no one did. What a gip! But I can't believe Chris beat up & threw out his girlfriend. I was shocked, but then they were eating dinner together at the end.
Posted By: Daigo Mick Friend

Re: Season 5: Episode 5 "Irregular around the margins" - 04/05/04 08:49 PM

I have stopped watching the previews they constantly mislead.

Great episode,

Will Adrianna lieing about Danielle drowning come back and bite her on the ass.

Edie Falco has already locked another best actress emmy after only five episodes.

I thought it was brilliant how Melfi spoke of Tony's great progress which actually is the lowest that he has been. Melfi is not getting a true read it can become dangerous.

Re: Season 5: Episode 5 "Irregular around the margins" - 04/05/04 09:18 PM

DMF,

I think we can all agree the previews are most of the time very misleading. It's fun discussing them though, even tho we seem to be wrong most of the time.

Speaking of previews, did you notice Carm putting a gun under her pillow??? Do we even dare speculate?

TIS
Posted By: Irishman12

Re: Season 5: Episode 5 "Irregular around the margins" - 04/05/04 10:40 PM

Quote:
Speaking of previews, did you notice Carm putting a gun under her pillow??? Do we even dare speculate?
Yeah I saw that. Looks like Steve Buscemi's character is getting into some money trouble. I'm looking foward to that.

Re: Season 5: Episode 5 "Irregular around the margins" - 04/05/04 11:48 PM

For some reason it seemed suspicious to me that Tony B. was helping Tony out letting him know about Christopher's rampage. Don't quite trust him.

TIS
Posted By: The Godfather

Re: Season 5: Episode 5 "Irregular around the margins" - 04/06/04 02:25 AM

The only disappointment of this episode of Tony's cocaine usage. I hate it

Re: Season 5: Episode 5 "Irregular around the margins" - 04/06/04 03:22 AM

Yea, I was disappointed in that and didn't like the "looks/attraction" to Adrianna thing. Don't know why. It's not like Tony's such a good guy. He is always on Christopher about drugs and I was suprised he took part. I think this is all because of he and Carm splitting. He's losing his sense of "business" somewhat and becoming careless because he's not content personally. Call me Dr. Melfi!! :p

TIS
Posted By: Don Luciano

Re: Season 5: Episode 5 "Irregular around the margins" - 04/06/04 04:14 PM

Sorry, i have to ask a few questions.
Did Tony do coke in front his crew???
Does Chris know Adrianna is a rat??
WHEN IS CHRISY2J GONNA POST AN EPISODE REVIEW??!!??
Posted By: Freddie C.

Re: Season 5: Episode 5 "Irregular around the margins" - 04/06/04 07:09 PM

It was good to see Tony Siragusa. He fits right in with all those guys. I hope his character gets some speaking lines. I'm sure he would have really good delivery.

Re: Season 5: Episode 5 "Irregular around the margins" - 04/07/04 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Luciano:
Sorry, i have to ask a few questions.
Did Tony do coke in front his crew???
Does Chris know Adrianna is a rat??
WHEN IS CHRISY2J GONNA POST AN EPISODE REVIEW??!!??
1.As far as I know Tony has not done coke in front of his crew.

2.No, nobody is on to Adrianna yet.

3.ChrisY2J usually posts a episode thread a couple days before Sopranos airs I think.

TIS
Posted By: ChrisY2J

Re: Season 5: Episode 5 "Irregular around the margins" - 04/07/04 02:16 PM

Hey Folks!
Sorry, I've been out of the picture for a week or so. My wife and I just moved from Philly back to our hometown of Buffalo, NY. We've been unloading boxes and setting things up for days now, and I just got my PC set up an hour ago!
I'll get crackin' on an episode review when I get the chance.

Later,
Chris J
Posted By: raggingbull2003

Re: Season 5: Episode 5 "Irregular around the margins" - 04/08/04 03:24 PM

Hey guys. Ive been away for a week, so I havent had a chance to post. But I caught the eppisode last night on indemand.

Very very entertaining eppisode, and very good as well. For a while, I really thought that Chris was gonna buy it. I personally dont think that the Adriana/Tony affair thing will come up again. I also think that Chris has fallen off the wagon regarding his drug problem. They didnt exactly show him shootin up, but I think he was high (as well as drunk) when he shot up Tony's car. One thing that I got out of this eppisode, was a new found liking for Tony Blundetto. He is so diferent from everybody else because of his supposed respect for the straight life, and his unorthodox knowledge. He has become my favorite character. And next week, it looks like he will be under the spotlight. Well see what happens.

Overall... This was the best eppisode of the season. Not the best ever by a long shot, but it definetly gets the thumbs up from RB.
Posted By: Don Pope

Re: Season 5: Episode 5 "Irregular around the margins" - 04/08/04 08:09 PM

heres a review from the episode straight from HBO.

episode 57

"Irregular Around the Margins"

Directed by: Allen Coulter
Written by: Robin Green & Mitchell Burgess

Synopsis

"Everybody knows you been the biggest fuckin' cooze hound around the last four or five years. Your mid-life crisis. You'd fuck a catcher's mitt."

Adriana and Agent Sanseverino are taking one of their clandestine car rides when Adriana mentions that Tony has been spending a lot of time at her club, Crazy Horse. "You think it might be because of you?" Sanseverino asks. Offended by the implication, Adriana tersely replies, "I am not going to blow this guy for your sick purposes." Then she gets sick herself, clutching her abdomen and telling Sanseverino that she has go to the bathroom - "number 2" - NOW. The interrogation ends abruptly as Sanseverino pulls up to a gas station and Adriana bolts for the ladies room.

Despite Adriana's denial, she and Tony have been growing closer. When Adriana's illness is diagnosed - Irritable Bowel Syndrome, probably stress-induced - Tony is far more sympathetic than Christopher. And Tony confides something to Adriana he's told no one else, that he recently had a cancerous lesion removed from his forehead. Then, one night at Crazy Horse, after sharing some lines of coke, Tony and Adriana have an awkward, sexually charged moment. During a dart game in the office, Adriana stoops to pick up some of the darts from the floor. Tony helps her up, holding onto her a little longer than necessary...and Adriana lets him. The tension is finally broken when Phil Leotardo and Joe Peeps knock on the door.

Tony is sufficiently troubled by his feelings to schedule an appointment with Dr. Melfi, who tells him that his desire to resist a destructive impulse is a breakthrough. So he quickly moves to re-establish the platonic nature of his and Adriana's relationship, to their mutual relief. Then, with Christopher in North Carolina on business and Adriana's car on the fritz, Tony offers her a ride home from work. Despite the fact that it's 2 AM, they decide to drive to Dover to score some coke and, swerving to avoid a raccoon, Tony flips his Escalade on its side. Although Adriana is briefly hospitalized, their injuries are relatively minor - but a scandal ensues that has potentially lethal consequences.

By the time the wise guys have finished spinning the story, the widely accepted - albeit false - version of events is that Tony and Adriana were engaged in oral sex at the time of the accident. Christopher, believing the rumors, goes on a rampage. He physically confronts Vito Spatafore, who outranks him; he beats Adriana and literally throws her out of their apartment; then shows up armed and drunk at the Bada Bing, looking for Tony.

Tony, Silvio, Paulie, Tony B. and some miscellaneous muscle are waiting for him. They quickly overpower Christopher and hustle him to a lonely back road, where Tony points a .38 at his nephew's head and delivers an ultimatum. "Either you tell me now that you can take it into your heart that I never did this shit," he says grimly, "or we've come as far as we can together." Christopher remains silent. Just then, Tony B. intercedes, suggesting, "Try it my way."

The two Tonys take Christopher to see the doctor who treated Adriana. He explains that Adriana's injuries support Tony's story and a mollified Christopher believes him. Later, in a display of solidarity, Tony and a reluctant but resigned Carmela, as well as Christopher, Adriana, Tony B. and his mother, Quintina, arrive together at Vesuvio, in view of several of Tony's guys. As they study their menus, Vito Spatafore stops by their table, extends his hand to Christopher and wishes him a pleasant evening. After a moment, Christopher shakes Vito's hand and replies, "You too."
Posted By: ChrisY2J

Re: Season 5: Episode 5 "Irregular around the margins" - 08/31/04 06:17 PM

I'm bumping this thread for the benefit of our fellow "Sopranos" fans in the UK.
Posted By: The Scottish Don

Re: Season 5: Episode 5 "Irregular around the margins" - 09/08/04 07:21 AM

Amazing episode last night, had absolutely everything! Superb moments of suspense involving Chris on the rampage and his near terminal road trip. Horrible when he beat Adriana and threw her out by the hair.....

Tony B certainly came into his own last night, and looks to be an even bigger player next week.

Tony S cannot help but continue to lie to everyone though, adamant that he never even thought about doing anything with Adriana, blatant lie.

All shaping up very nicely, the tension is so tight something has to snap soon!
Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra

Re: Season 5: Episode 5 "Irregular around the margins" - 09/14/04 07:46 PM

Watched it "live" last night, and have since watched the episode again just now.

This was one of Chase's "specials", in dealing with one story plot which breaks up the flow of subplots, and which can stand as one single episode on their own--just like "College" and "Pine Barrens" were.

They definitely keep getting better, although I'm missing Feech already! Imperioli's acting was fantastic, as was Falco (the best on the show).

I don't know about you guys, but since Chris kicked his drug habit, I've really warmed to him, and think he's more mature than ever. I couldn't help but sympathise with him, the way Tony was speaking to him after the crash: "You scored way over your head when you got her." Uncalled for from Tony, and Chris' reaction, although OTT, was understandable, given his past record.

Nice to see Tony Blundetto becoming a likeable (for once!) character. But next week's trailer sees him, Davey Scatino style, gambling at a table and apparently getting into trouble because of it. Can't be good at all.

The direction in this episode was again awesome. I loved the movement (pans, zooms, dollies, etc) with every cut. And AJ's soon going to learn to appreciate Carmela a bit more too.

Fantastic episode, and another reason why I class season five to be the best season so far.

Mick
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET