Home

Quick question

Posted By: CommonMafiaHood

Quick question - 10/08/04 02:49 AM

Hey i feel stupid asking this, especially being a big GF fan, but can someone please tell me about Don altobello. What is his past with the family? He isnt in the first 2 (im pretty sure) right?
Thanks
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Quick question - 10/08/04 04:39 AM

Well, CMH, your question underscores one of the many weaknesses of GFIII. Right: Who the hell is Altobello (other than an old acquaintance of the Corleones and Connie's godfather)? Why does he side with Zasa? Why does he betray Michael? Why is he in fealty to Don Lucchese? And why did they choose Eli Wallach to portray him so feebly?
Posted By: Don Schulini

Re: Quick question - 10/11/04 02:02 PM

Originally posted by Turnbull:
Well, CMH, your question underscores one of the many weaknesses of GFIII. Right: Who the hell is Altobello (other than an old acquaintance of the Corleones and Connie's godfather)? Why does he side with Zasa? Why does he betray Michael? Why is he in fealty to Don Lucchese? And why did they choose Eli Wallach to portray him so feebly?
And you don't have the answers to these questions? Wow..
Posted By: YoTonyB

Re: Quick question - 10/11/04 04:47 PM

In GF I, at Vito's funeral, isn't Don Altobello seen getting out of a car to make his way to the grave? A non-speaking "extra?" Just another "moustache Pete" making an obligatory appearance and paying his respects...

tony b.
Posted By: AppleOnYa

Re: Quick question - 10/11/04 04:58 PM

Originally posted by YoTonyB:
In GF I, at Vito's funeral, isn't Don Altobello seen getting out of a car to make his way to the grave? ....
Turnbull (or anybody) please correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Don Altobello a character fabricated solely for the making of GFIII and therefore would not have even existed in any part of The Godfather (either the film or the novel)??? And the old fellow getting out of the car at Vito's funeral - the one who needs chauffer to help him out - wouldn't that have been either Cunneo or Stracci, both of whom are seen earlier at both the wedding and meeting of the Families called by Vito?

As to Altobello's 'past' with the family...if any of the above is true then the only clue to that would be within the dialogue of GFIII.

Apple

Re: Quick question - 10/11/04 07:12 PM

Yes, Altobello was strictly a fabrication for GFIII. The old guy getting out of the limo looked like the old guy who sang raucously at Connie's wedding. Some here think they spotted him at the Don's Convention.
Posted By: Don Cardi

Re: Quick question - 10/11/04 07:54 PM

The old guy getting out of the limo looked like the old guy who sang raucously at Connie's wedding. Some here think they spotted him at the Don's Convention.
Yes, that was the baker Nazorine's father. He sang Gena Luna at Connie's wedding.

Don Cardi cool

Re: Quick question - 10/11/04 08:00 PM

Originally posted by Don Cardi:
[QUOTE]...He sang Gena Luna at Connie's wedding...
I believe that's...Che La Luna.

JGeoff has the translation - first line of song is w/ referrence to the moon...

http://www.jgeoff.com/godfather.html

Apple
Posted By: DonMichaelCorleone

Re: Quick question - 10/11/04 08:07 PM

Originally posted by AppleOnYa:
[b] [QUOTE]...He sang Gena Luna at Connie's wedding...

Apple [/b]
even FREDO KNEW that! grin grin

Re: Quick question - 10/11/04 08:10 PM

Originally posted by DonMichaelCorleone:
[QUOTE]...even [b]FREDO KNEW that! grin [/b]
And that's about ALL he knew.

Excepting of course, how do do coctail waitresses two at a time wink !!

Apple

Re: Quick question - 10/11/04 08:18 PM

[b] [QUOTE]...even [b]FREDO KNEW that! grin [/b]
And that's about ALL he knew.

Excepting of course, how do do coctail waitresses two at a time wink !!

Apple [/b]
I see NOTHING wrong with knowing how to do that, nor practicing to make sure you get it perfect lol

Re: Quick question - 10/11/04 08:20 PM

Apple [/b]
Yes Apple, that's the song I was talking about. Thanks for the correct spelling wink .

Don Cardi cool

Re: Quick question - 10/11/04 08:33 PM

[QUOTE]...I see NOTHING wrong with knowing how to do that, nor practicing to make sure you get it perfect lol
Who said there was anything wrong with it?

If only Fredo had stuck with what he knew - coctail waitresses and Italian songs...he never would've been blown away on the lake WITHOUT EVER KNOWING what was coming.

grin

Apple

Re: Quick question - 10/11/04 08:37 PM

[b] [QUOTE]...I see NOTHING wrong with knowing how to do that, nor practicing to make sure you get it perfect lol
Who said there was anything wrong with it?

If only Fredo had stuck with what he knew - coctail waitresses and Italian songs...he never would've been blown away on the lake WITHOUT EVER KNOWING what was coming.

grin

Apple [/b]
I think if FREDO WOULD HAVE KNOWN he was going to get shot then you would only have about 115 posts on this board lol grin grin

Re: Quick question - 10/11/04 08:48 PM

If you give me a reason to post...I'm gonna post!

tongue

AppleOnYa
4071 posts-to-date...and that's WITHOUT using the board on weekends!!!

Re: Quick question - 10/11/04 08:57 PM

Maybe you can help me with this question then apple:

In GF1 (I know its not in timeline but it confuses me) In a deleted scene Sonny is talking to Tessio and Tom (I think) when Michael is in the room and Sonny says whos head do we blow off, Clemenza or Paulie? So I take that as him suspecting Clemenza as one of them. Yet right after Vito was shot, Sonny goes to the door with the gun when Clemenza knocks but when Clemenza says "its me" Sonny puts the gun away....why is that?

Re: Quick question - 10/11/04 09:04 PM

My theory is that he secretly has the hots for Clemenza and despite initial suspicion of his involvement in Vito's shooting, Sonny still likes to be around the big lug as much as possible.

That's really why Sonny's been carrying on with Lucy...female version of Clemenza & it's the closest he can get without revealing his secret.

I'll be Sonny's real relieved when it becomes clear that Clemenza's innocent !!

Apple

Re: Quick question - 10/11/04 09:10 PM

My theory is that he secretly has the hots for Clemenza and despite initial suspicion of his involvement in Vito's shooting, Sonny still likes to be around the big lug as much as possible.

That's really why Sonny's been carrying on with Lucy...female version of Clemenza & it's the closest he can get without revealing his secret.

I'll be Sonny's real relieved when it becomes clear that Clemenza's innocent !!

Apple
Well at least THAT makes sense lol

and if for some reason thats true, my future son will NO LONGER be named Santino lol

Re: Quick question - 10/12/04 12:30 AM

Maybe you can help me with this question then apple:

In GF1 (I know its not in timeline but it confuses me) In a deleted scene Sonny is talking to Tessio and Tom (I think) when Michael is in the room and Sonny says whos head do we blow off, Clemenza or Paulie? So I take that as him suspecting Clemenza as one of them. Yet right after Vito was shot, Sonny goes to the door with the gun when Clemenza knocks but when Clemenza says "its me" Sonny puts the gun away....why is that?
Don Michael,

When Vito is first shot, Sonny probably did not know that Paulie had called in sick, so therefore at the moment he did not suspect Clemenza. But in all likelyhood, later on when Sonny did find out that Paulie had called in sick and realizing that Paulie was brought into the family by Clemenza, they had to suspenct that Clemenza may have been in on the hit. That is why in that deleted scene Clemenza is sitting OUTSIDE the office when Sonny and Tessio are meeting. But at the point of the meeting when Michael walks into the office, they now know that Clemenza had nothing to do with it because of thier man inside the phone company. Michael does not know this yet. The reason that Sonny asks that question is to try and get Michael rattled for his wanting to sit in the meeting. Sonny knew that the Don never wanted Mike mixed up in the business, so he tried to discourage Michael from sitting in by talking about blowing heads off. But at the same time Michael shows his cunningness for business and his ability to analyze the situation by giving the right answer to Sonny. Michael is not phased and is not shaken by the thought of having to decide who needed to be killed and Sonny realizes this with Mike's answer.

Don Cardi cool

Re: Quick question - 10/12/04 12:43 AM

thanks DC

I understand you are saying that Sonny just asked the question to see how Mike would react but do you think Clemenza thought at any point that they were suspecting him?

Re: Quick question - 10/12/04 01:06 AM

thanks DC

I understand you are saying that Sonny just asked the question to see how Mike would react but do you think Clemenza thought at any point that they were suspecting him?
He probably felt more scared that the Corleone's may hold him indirectly responsible because of Paulie, than of his actually being suspected of setting up the hit itself.

Don Cardi cool
Posted By: johnny ola

Re: Quick question - 10/14/04 01:45 AM

[b] The old guy getting out of the limo looked like the old guy who sang raucously at Connie's wedding. Some here think they spotted him at the Don's Convention.
Yes, that was the baker Nazorine's father. He sang Gena Luna at Connie's wedding.

Don Cardi cool [/b]
How do you know it was Nazorines father? Where was that mentioned or implied? confused
Posted By: Don Sonny Corleone

Re: Quick question - 10/14/04 02:22 AM

^^^^ Thats the first Ive heard of it too. My assumption is that the guy was just one of Vito's (many) firends.

Re: Quick question - 10/14/04 02:36 AM

Originally posted by johnny ola:
[b]
[b] The old guy getting out of the limo looked like the old guy who sang raucously at Connie's wedding. Some here think they spotted him at the Don's Convention.

Don Cardi cool [/b]
How do you know it was Nazorines father? Where was that mentioned or implied? confused [/b]
I have not read it anywhere, nor was it ever implied. But watch the funeral scene very closely. In my opinion the old guy being helped out of the car in that scene looks just like Nazorine The Baker's father, who sang at Connie's wedding. Now if you are asking the question "How do you know it's Nazorine The Baker's father singing at the wedding?" Mama Corleone calls him Nazorine when she asks him up to sing.

SC, "my most valued and trusted friend," you always come up with pictures, do you have one of this old man being helped out of the car at Vito's wedding?

Don Cardi cool
Posted By: SC

Re: Quick question - 10/14/04 09:28 AM

In my opinion the old guy being helped out of the car in that scene looks just like Nazorine The Baker's father, who sang at Connie's wedding.

SC, "my most valued and trusted friend," you always come up with pictures, do you have one of this old man being helped out of the car at Vito's wedding?
Sure do. He looks like the same guy who sang at the wedding (also pictured below). Forgive the bluish tinge to the pictures.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Pepino

Re: Quick question - 10/14/04 12:14 PM

Apple [/b]
"La Luna Mezza"

Re: Quick question - 10/14/04 12:45 PM

Originally posted by johnny ola:
[b]
[b] </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Turnbull:
<strong> The old guy getting out of the limo looked like the old guy who sang raucously at Connie's wedding. Some here think they spotted him at the Don's Convention.

Don Cardi cool [/b]
How do you know it was Nazorines father? Where was that mentioned or implied? confused [/b]
I have not read it anywhere, nor was it ever implied. But watch the funeral scene very closely. In my opinion the old guy being helped out of the car in that scene looks just like Nazorine The Baker's father, who sang at Connie's wedding. Now if you are asking the question "How do you know it's Nazorine The Baker's father singing at the wedding?" Mama Corleone calls him Nazorine when she asks him up to sing.

Don Cardi cool </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">I also kinda thought he was at the meeting of the families with Vito. I will have to look at the scene closer again.

What is interesting is in the picture with the old guy singing, right next to him is Vito Scotti, who played Nazorine the baker, which could lead to thinking that the old guy wasn't Nazorine. cool

Re: Quick question - 10/14/04 03:38 PM

Right, Johnny. I don't think he was Nazorine's father--the proximity in that scene just made for power of suggestion. And I don't think Mama called him "Nazorine."

Re: Quick question - 10/14/04 03:42 PM

Sonny had found out about his father being shot only seconds before Clemenza knocked at the door. He didn't know Clemenza was at the door, so he whipped out the gun as a precaution. He put it away because, whether or not he suspected Clemenza at that point, Clemenza obviously wasn't planning to harm him right then and there--otherwise he wouldn't have knocked. Sonny had to suspect Clemenza since Paulie was out sick (making him the prime suspect) and Paulie reported to Clemenza. Clemenza had to know he was under suspicion as soon as he learned (as he must have) that Sonny had ordered Tessio's men (not Clemenza's) to guard the hospital.
Posted By: Meggie

Re: Quick question - 10/14/04 04:08 PM

Speaking of translations: Can anyone give me an accurate translation of what Don Vito says to infant Michael on the steps after he kills Don Fannucci. The transltion says..Michael, your father loves you very much, but what does 'mi galoso'(sp) mean? Thanks smile
Posted By: sicilianspider

Re: Quick question - 10/14/04 07:09 PM

Vito's nickname for Michael smile

Re: Quick question - 10/14/04 08:37 PM

Right, Johnny. I don't think he was Nazorine's father--the proximity in that scene just made for power of suggestion. And I don't think Mama called him "Nazorine."
Ok Turnbull, I think that I finally got you on one here! grin I am 99.9% sure that mama Corleone says " Nazorine, sing us a song!" and the old guy comes to the microphone while at the same time mama is standing right next to Nazorine the baker and both are hysterical laughing. Turnbull, how about this: A friendly bet here. I say that the old man who sang at Connies wedding is Nazorine the Baker's father. If I am wrong, I will buy your dinner. If you are wrong, you buy my dinner. A bet?

Don Cardi cool

Re: Quick question - 10/14/04 09:04 PM

[b] Right, Johnny. I don't think he was Nazorine's father--the proximity in that scene just made for power of suggestion. And I don't think Mama called him "Nazorine."
Ok Turnbull, I think that I finally got you on one here! grin I am 99.9% sure that mama Corleone says " Nazorine, sing us a song!" and the old guy comes to the microphone while at the same time mama is standing right next to Nazorine the baker and both are hysterical laughing. Turnbull, how about this: A friendly bet here. I say that the old man who sang at Connies wedding is Nazorine the Baker's father. If I am wrong, I will buy your dinner. If you are wrong, you buy my dinner. A bet?

Don Cardi cool [/b]
Hey I want a piece of this, my money is with Turnbull.

While it may true that Mama called Nazorine to come up to the stage, that doesnt mean the old man is Nazorine, nor did it mean she wanted him to sing. She might have wanted him to bring in the cake, so she could stop singing. In the picture you can plainly see Nazorine on the stage.
Proably the old guy had too much wine and just was feeling silly. It happens at every wedding, some old guy has too much to drink and feels the need to sing. If you win, we can go to Louis's in the Bronx for dinner, you will love the veal, best in the city grin

Heres the transcript. You will notice that the old man is referred to as the old man.

VOICE (urging Mama Corleone to come onto the stage to sing)

Signora Corleone! -- [more]

MAMA (laughingly)

No -- no -- no! [more]

(then, once on stage)

La stessa storia? ["the same story?"] La stessa storia!

(then sings the first verse to "Luna Mezz'a Mare")

(then, Mama calls Nazorine to the stage)

CUT TO: Sonny goes upstairs

CUT TO: An old man continues "Luna Mezz'a Mare" while Nazorine dances and laughs on stage

CUT TO: Lucy Mancini goes upstairs

CUT TO: The old man who was singing is now dancing

Re: Quick question - 10/15/04 01:07 AM

Go back and watch that scene very closely. After Mama Corleone sings the first verse of the song she then calls "Nazorine" to come up and sing, the scene changes to Sonny going upstairs, but you still hear the music in the background WITHOUT any break in it, getting ready to go into the next verse of the song. It cuts back to the wedding with the music still playing and you can quickly see what looks like the baker positioning the old man/Nazorine the father on the stage and he starts to sing. If you watch this scene closely you can see that while there is a scene switch there NEVER is a break in the music and from the time Mama calls out "Nazorine" to the time the Old Man starts to sing there is absolutely no way that The Baker Nazorine could have sang some of the song before the old man. My money is that the old man is Nazorine the bakers father and that is who Mama was calling to sing the next verse. Is there any way that we can find this out for sure Don Malta?

Don Cardi cool
Posted By: Krlea

Re: Quick question - 10/15/04 02:54 AM

Originally posted by SC:
Sure do. He looks like the same guy who sang at the wedding (also pictured below). Forgive the bluish tinge to the pictures.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
OMFG!! I love how you wrote "the bluish tint" That is no frekaing tint, those people are smurfs!! ha ha ha lol

Re: Quick question - 10/17/04 11:22 PM

Ok thanks for clearing that up everyone. i think we should also consider the man in GF1 we think may be altobello is definitly not. GF1 took place in the late 40's early 50's, and GF3 in 1979. Altobello wouldnt have looked that old in GF1 if it was him, because that guy would probably have been dead by 1979.

Re: Quick question - 10/17/04 11:22 PM

Ok thanks for clearing that up everyone. i think we should also consider the man in GF1 we think may be altobello is definitly not. GF1 took place in the late 40's early 50's, and GF3 in 1979. Altobello wouldnt have looked that old in GF1 if it was him, because that guy would probably have been dead by 1979.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET