Home

"Michael" an Italian name?

Posted By: Freddie C.

"Michael" an Italian name? - 06/24/04 12:20 AM

Three of the Corleone children have very ethnic-sounding names...

Santino
Frederico
Constanzia

But then there's Michael. It's odd seems odd that one child would have an "American" name. Is it possible the name given to him at birth was Michele, the Italian equivalent? Any opinions?
Posted By: Caporegime

Re: "Michael" an Italian name? - 06/24/04 12:41 AM

I believe that Michael's birth name was originally "Michele" because it was pronounced that way when Appolonia's father introduced him to her family. Michael is used by all his Italian-American fiends and family. Kinda like how all the children have their own "American version" of their name (Sonny, Fredo, Connie). I'm not positive, but I have a feeling that Michael did in fact have a different birth name.
Posted By: waynethegame

Re: "Michael" an Italian name? - 06/24/04 01:15 AM

Maybe Puzo deliberatley gave Michael an American-sounding name to further show his initial alienation from the family and initial refusal to be part of it?
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: "Michael" an Italian name? - 06/24/04 04:49 AM

I think so, too. It's another little subtle touch--like (in the film) having Barzini smoke a cigarette while all the "moustache Petes" were smoking DiNobile's.
Posted By: UnderBoss

Re: "Michael" an Italian name? - 06/24/04 07:48 AM

Also italians especially at that time were very religious oriented, even the Mafia, as the movie highlights. As many woman are named Mary or Marie in Italy and Spain, after the virgin Mary, so are many males named Joesph or Joe or Michael after the arch-angel.
Posted By: AllAboutTheFamily

Re: "Michael" an Italian name? - 06/24/04 06:12 PM

Micheal's name was really Micheal. I remember seeing on the family tree on the DVD-there is Santino, Fredesco, Constanzia, and Micheal. They were obviously going by all of the birth names here so Micheal must be the birth name.
Posted By: Patches

Re: "Michael" an Italian name? - 06/24/04 06:14 PM

I rember thinkin that was strange, but he was like the odd one out since birth tongue
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET