Home

Repeat topics

Posted By: Turnbull

Repeat topics - 05/20/03 04:47 AM

I did a quick (unscientific) scan of the topics posted in all the forums. A pattern of repeat topics emerges--mostly posted by newbies (we all were, once), and giving a feel for what really gets into Trilogy and Mafia fans' blood.

Without question, the most oft-posted topic is: "Who shot the Tahoe gunmen?" Some of the other faves, in no particular order:

--Did Roth plan for the cop to foil Frankie's murder?
--What does "ba fan gool" mean?
--Who is that ghostly image at the Don's burial?
--Who did Clemenza kill in the elevator?
--What are the Mafia ranks?
--Did Connie know that Michael had Fredo killed?
--Who was a better Don: Vito or Michael?
--Did Fredo know he was going to be killed?
--Did Rocco know he was going to be killed?
--Why was Tom out?
--How do I join the Mafia?
--What should I visit when I visit New York City?
--Where can I buy the DVD Trilogy set cheap?

I know some here (many?) are annoyed that these familiar questions get asked time and time again. And those who advise new people to use the "search" function to find the answers are right to do so. But I don't mind these questions being repeated, because every so often someone comes up with a new and interesting interpretation.
Posted By: plawrence

Re: Repeat topics - 05/20/03 09:06 AM

How about "Is that Rocco eating the Chinese food?" wink
Also, "How many families were there?"

I agree with you 100%. If a new member has a question and does a search, he may well find the question he is looking for, but the comments are those from whenever in the past. Unless he has something new to add, or "bumps" the topic, it stays buried and other new members don't have a chance to add their views.

So this is what being a "Professional Godfather Poster" is all about. tongue
Posted By: Family Honour

Re: Repeat topics - 05/20/03 09:39 AM

The repeated topics dont bother me one iota! As Turnbull states every now and then some new and interesting interpretations emerge. Even if they dont emerge though it's still nice for the poster (usually new) to want to talk about how he/she feels about a situation in the GF and add their own piece back. If they always had to use the search function and just read the responses of others they wouldn't get too much chance to add their own views and the GFT could be in danger of becoming a read only section frown

FH
Posted By: Alexander Supalov

Re: Repeat topics - 05/20/03 10:52 AM

Hi!

A nice list of some new topics for my FAQ... Thanks a lot. wink

Best regards.

Alexander
Posted By: johnny ola

Re: Repeat topics - 05/20/03 02:41 PM

I would encourage "newbies" to post questions rather then do a search. First of all they would feel part of the "family", and not an outsider. We must keep in mind that the message board is a "work in progress", with people coming and going all the time. I don't really think anyone wants to have the board take on the look of "clique". By the way, doesn't it appear that the board gets more active when the GF films are shown on TV, and attracts newer fans? cool
Posted By: Fanucci's Revenge

Re: Repeat topics - 05/20/03 05:57 PM

plawrence - that wasn't Rocco, that was someone else. Get your facts straight! wink

Turnbull - bravo. That's why this is a called a MESSAGE BOARD and not just an archive or FAQ... you always do a great job of making new members feel welcome.

One topic you didn't mention was:
"Clemenza or Tessio - who said Luca sleeps with the fishes". I saw this posted a few weeks ago and I was surprised, didn't everyone know Tessio said it? But then the transcript said Clemenza... so I watched my DVD and clear as day I think it's Clemenza... can't figure out why I thought it was Tessio... maybe because he's the one who sets the fish down in Sonny's lap. However Clemenza is the one also sitting next to Sonny. grin
Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra

Re: Repeat topics - 05/20/03 08:13 PM

And the more you read about these recurring questions and answers, and the more you get involved in answering them, the more you learn about the trilogy etc.

Mick
Posted By: L Neri

Re: Repeat topics - 05/20/03 09:21 PM

Great observation Turnbull! I never mind that the same questions are asked...actually it helps you come up with new situations that MAY have happened, if..., etc. (and so on and so on..)
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Repeat topics - 05/21/03 12:18 AM

Originally posted by Fanucci's Revenge:
One topic you didn't mention was:
"Clemenza or Tessio - who said Luca sleeps with the fishes". I saw this posted a few weeks ago and I was surprised, didn't everyone know Tessio said it? But then the transcript said Clemenza... so I watched my DVD and clear as day I think it's Clemenza... can't figure out why I thought it was Tessio... maybe because he's the one who sets the fish down in Sonny's lap. However Clemenza is the one also sitting next to Sonny. grin
Good one, FR! I'm hoping others will post additional "familiar topics."
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: Repeat topics - 05/21/03 02:35 AM

I'm not really bothered by repeated posts as well. Many times we get different insights/opinions that can spark more of a conversation about an old topic. Plus, we were all newbies once and I think it's good that we all understand that and contribute to an old topic when different views are stated. smile

TB, one topic you didn't mention: Why Michael killed Fredo?....did he hate Fredo?, etc. That's been tossed around quite a bit too.

Oh, and let's not forget Appollonia's breast! eek Man, I thought that would have been in the top five easy!! grin As a matter of fact, aren't we about due for yet another round?? lol rolleyes

TIS
Posted By: Luca's boy

Re: Repeat topics - 05/21/03 02:35 AM

I am one of the "newbies" and I find it great that you guys (and gals) care and like to here the oft asked questions.
Posted By: don papa

Re: Repeat topics - 05/21/03 03:26 AM

i can think of names of those who get annoyed with repeated questions/topics ... lol

Turnbull is correct with his observation. and it will never hurt to read other people's take on the subject. who knows, we might see new and interesting insights, which our newbies bring forward. after all, we don't know everything. grin
Posted By: cannoli

Re: Repeat topics - 05/21/03 03:36 AM

So. Did Fredo know or didn't he?

(Ducking)

wink
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: Repeat topics - 05/21/03 03:41 AM

lol Good one Cannoli!!

Answer: No he didn't!! eek (I'll duck too)!!! lol

TIS
Posted By: plawrence

Re: Repeat topics - 05/21/03 12:23 PM

Godfather references in other movies/TV shows/real life.

Must have seen this one at least 5-6 times.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET