Home

Where Did Clemenza Eat? (Deleted Scene)

Posted By: Signor Vitelli

Where Did Clemenza Eat? (Deleted Scene) - 06/20/22 04:25 AM

Back in 2018, in the Louis’ Restaurant thread, there was some discussion among Michael_Giovanni, olivant and myself about just where the Luna Restaurant was located in the deleted scene in GF1 with Clemenza. This scene was added, years ago, to the re-edited, expanded network TV version The Godfather - A Novel for Television, and has been included as a “extra” in the DVD release. It can also be found (with the other deleted scenes) on YouTube:

The Godfather Trilogy - All Deleted Scenes (The scene in question starts at 29:12.)

After doing a bit of digging, I believe I finally have the conclusive answers. "Walter" (I mentioned him in the other thread) was absolutely right.

Due to the ever-changing nature of the Internet and its various websites, I am posting all photos from my files (so they won't eventually disappear!) and I am breaking this down over several posts.

First off – a photo of Clemenza (below) clearly shows him at the Luna Restaurant. This was, indeed, the location used in GF1. It was located for many years at 112 Mulberry Street, in NYC’s Little Italy. Also below are three other later photos, and you can clearly see that the neon sign in the window close-up matches exactly the neon sign in the Clemenza photo.

Attached picture Clemenza_2.jpg
Attached picture Luna_3.jpg
Attached picture Luna_2.jpg
Attached picture Luna_1.jpg

Re: Where Did Clemenza Eat? (Deleted Scene) - 06/20/22 04:30 AM

At some point, the original restaurant closed and relocated to 115 Mulberry Street, directly across the street from the previous location. It was now called Luna Ristorante, but this restaurant has now permanently closed.

Meanwhile, the original site was split into two stores – a photo taken May 5, 2008 shows Sicilia Gifts and another Gift Shop now occupying the space. Eventually Sicilia Gifts became Chowdhury Traders & Sicilia Gifts (photo also below).

Attached picture SiciliaGifts_05_11_2008.jpg
Attached picture SiciliaGifts_2.jpg

Re: Where Did Clemenza Eat? (Deleted Scene) - 06/20/22 04:32 AM

Remember the empty lot where Clemenza’s car was parked? In 2014, permits were issued and the site was developed into a large building called The Parioli.

Attached picture Luna_09_2014.jpg
Attached picture Luna_Parioli.jpg

Re: Where Did Clemenza Eat? (Deleted Scene) - 06/20/22 04:34 AM

As of August, 2021, the gift shop was called NYC Image Gift & Souvenirs.

Attached picture GiftShop_08_2021.jpg

Re: Where Did Clemenza Eat? (Deleted Scene) - 06/20/22 04:44 AM

Now, for the latest news:

As of this writing, the gift shops have permanently closed and it appears the entire building has been redeveloped and is available for commercial lease (2 ground floor shops, formerly Luna) and pricey apartment rentals:

110-112 Mulberry Street Loopnet listing

A footnote: though the Luna Restaurant may be gone, directly next door to where it once stood still stands the justly-famous La Bella Ferrara bake shop at 108 Mulberry Street. While it may be argued among GF1 aficionados if Clemenza actually got his cannolis at Luna or they were brought to him from La Bella Ferrara, you can still get authentic Little Italy cannolis (and other nice things) there. No website, but it appears they do have a Facebook page.

Leave the gun... well, you know the rest. wink

Signor V.
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Where Did Clemenza Eat? (Deleted Scene) - 06/20/22 06:36 AM

Great work, Signor V. clap Thank you!
Carlo Gambino was a regular visitor to Ferrara's.
Posted By: mustachepete

Re: Where Did Clemenza Eat? (Deleted Scene) - 06/21/22 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Turnbull
Great work, Signor V. clap Thank you!

Seconded. Very interesting!
Posted By: blueracing347

Re: Where Did Clemenza Eat? (Deleted Scene) - 06/21/22 12:23 PM

Great post Signor V. I was going to Brooklyn during Christmas time from 2016-19 and would spend a day in Manhattan and made it a point to get lunch on Mulberry St. For being a tourist spot, the food was cheaper than getting lunch at Disney and never disappointing.

Re: Where Did Clemenza Eat? (Deleted Scene) - 06/27/22 03:55 AM

What I am hoping for is that JG will eventually do an overhaul/update of parts of this site, particularly this page, and incorporate the wealth of new information that has been gathered over the years.

The filming locations have been covered in great detail, and not just on the GBB. All you have to do is search Google for Godfather filming locations and you'll see what I mean. The amount of research is impressive - even if it now means we have to eliminate books such as Zuckerman's The Godfather Journal and the like as being Godfather Gospel, as was originally assumed.

I shall continue to remain optimistic.

Signor V.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET