Home

Did Fredo know?

Posted By: cannoli

Did Fredo know? - 05/12/03 03:25 PM

I don't know if this has been discussed before. If it has, sorry.

Did Fredo know, when he was taken out in the boat (after Connie called Anthony back to the compound), that he was going to be killed?

Since he's not the sharpest knife in the drawer, I've always wondered about this. The only thing I have to compare it to in GFI is Tessio, who WAS supposed to be pretty sharp, and he understood immediately how the "change in plans" was going to affect him. But with Fredo, this is kind of open-ended.

I vote "yes," for two reasons. First, after Anthony leaves, Fredo says, almost with resignation, "OK, Al. Let's go." And he's praying just a little bit TOO loudly out there on the water.

On the other hand, we've seen him portrayed, in two movies, as a simple-minded oaf who wasn't even smart enough to understand that treacherous people were trying to get to his brother through him. So I've always wrestled with this question.

Comments?
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: Did Fredo know? - 05/12/03 03:53 PM

I think he did know for the same reasons you gave.
Posted By: AppleOnYa

Re: Did Fredo know? - 05/12/03 03:57 PM

Fredo didn't know. He was simply not strong or brave enough to have gone so stoically to his end, as Tessio had.

The way I've always seen it is that Fredo is simply disappointed that Anthony cannot go fishing with him. Had he any idea what was about to happen, he wouldn't have so cheerily promised Anthony he'd catch a fish using their little secret prayer.

I never took his prayer to be 'loud'. I know people usually whisper their prayers or even silently move their lips - but that is not the type of praying Fredo was involved in. It was a ritual he used to catch a fish.

Anyway - we had to hear him recite it just that way for dramatic effect. Especially the cutoff of that final line (for those who know it)..now and at the hour of our death.

Apple

Re: Did Fredo know? - 05/12/03 04:03 PM

Well I give you that the effect was definitely DRAMATIC. And if he didn't know, he was the ONLY one who didn't know. However many millions of people who saw the movie certainly knew. wink

Re: Did Fredo know? - 05/12/03 04:44 PM

Well, I didn't know... wink

I remember being utterly shocked - flabberghasted - the very first time I saw the film - that Michael really did have him killed. I guess I'm just as much of a dull blade as Fredo was!!

Of course, I was only 17 at the time.

Apple

PS - that's the one thing you lose when enjoying a movie over and over, year after year. That innocence or 'openness' of seeing it for the first time, not knowing what's going to happen.
And in the Michael sequences of GFII, you really DIDN'T know...because there was no novel to pre-tell the story.
Posted By: MaryCas

Re: Did Fredo know? - 05/12/03 05:25 PM

by AppleOnYA
That innocence or 'openness' of seeing it for the first time, not knowing what's going to happen.
Oh how true! We comment and conjecture on GF and GF2 often without the recollection of our first viewing. But the Fredo killing was one I remember. SONOFABITCH, he shot him! What a bastard that Michael is....his own brother! eek Something like that. I don't think Fredo had a clue. He was just disappointed that Anthony got called away.

Re: Did Fredo know? - 05/12/03 06:03 PM

It occurred to me that it could happen (emphasis on the COULD) because the whole "change in plans" scenario too closely mirrored Tessio in GFI. That's the only reason why it did, though.

Re: Did Fredo know? - 05/12/03 06:18 PM

Originally posted by cannoli:
It occurred to me that it could happen (emphasis on the COULD) because the whole "change in plans" scenario too closely mirrored Tessio in GFI. That's the only reason why it did, though.
Alot of what happened in GFII mirrored GF. Makes sense that the 'change in plans' scenario would be repeated years later, with another traitor. But Fredo is not Tessio and Fredo was not even around when Tessio was killed. Even if he were, Fredo just wasn't sharp enough to realize the same trap was being set. Remember, when he & Michael embraced so emotionally, Fredo thought all was forgiven and he was being welcomed back. Otherwise, he would've been far too frightened to remain at the lake.

I still say Fredo didn't know.

Apple
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: Did Fredo know? - 05/12/03 07:06 PM

I don't think Fredo was thinking he'd get killed in the boat while fishing. I think we tend to forget that we've seen it so many times, and probably don't think about the initial reaction from the first viewing perspective. confused

As a viewer in the audience, at that time, I didn't know Fredo would be killed until the actual gunshots, because when Connie called Anthony in there was no indication even then that something was going to happen. Remember, think as someone who hasn't seen and analyzed this so many times.

True, Fredo wasn't the brightest bulb, but even he is not that stupid. Why would he'd continue with his fishing plans, knowing he was gonna get killed. ohwell

Like Mary Cas noted, I too was shocked when I first saw it. I remember thinking, "he actually had his own brother murdered", and that wasn't until right after the gunshots

Poor Fredo!! frown

TIS
Posted By: Barbarella

Re: Did Fredo know? - 05/12/03 09:48 PM

I think he (Fredo)must have known -since the day their mother died- that his period of grace has expired at that point. He just resigns because there *is* no way to get out of that situation his ehm...simplicity has gotten him into...
Maybe nonsense, but imho that's it.

Re: Did Fredo know? - 05/12/03 10:06 PM

If Fredo had any idea that there was a 'grace period' which expired the day his mother died, he would not probably not even have appeared at the wake. He was not the type of person to have 'resigned' himself to the thought, 'Oh well, no way out of this, I screwed up, I'm toast anyway so I may as well just sit around and wait for the big one'.

If he had even the slightest inkling of what Michael had in mind he would have kept running as long as he could...the way he did that night in Cuba. Like the selfish, whining coward that he was. He may have been caught up with eventually, but he would not have simply walked into Michael's hands. Not if he knew what was gonna happen.

Fredo didn't know.

Apple
Posted By: Boss_of_bosses

Re: Did Fredo know? - 05/13/03 03:30 AM

No. Fredo didn't know at all. And Apple is right on this one.
Posted By: The Iceman

Re: Did Fredo know? - 05/13/03 03:52 AM

Originally posted by The Italian Stallionette:
I don't think Fredo was thinking he'd get killed in the boat while fishing. I think we tend to forget that we've seen it so many times, and probably don't think about the initial reaction from the first viewing perspective. confused

As a viewer in the audience, at that time, I didn't know Fredo would be killed until the actual gunshots, because when Connie called Anthony in there was no indication even then that something was going to happen. Remember, think as someone who hasn't seen and analyzed this so many times.

True, Fredo wasn't the brightest bulb, but even he is not that stupid. Why would he'd continue with his fishing plans, knowing he was gonna get killed. ohwell

Like Mary Cas noted, I too was shocked when I first saw it. I remember thinking, "he actually had his own brother murdered", and that wasn't until right after the gunshots

Poor Fredo!! frown

TIS
I'm in agreement with TIS on this issue. I know when I first saw it, I had no idea Fredo was going to be whacked.
Posted By: Alexander Supalov

Re: Did Fredo know? - 05/13/03 08:25 AM

Hi!

I think it's again a little bit more complicated than it seems.

Logically, Fredo knew that he was doomed. He was smart enough for that, after all. He knew what happened to Paulie, what happened to Carlo, what happened to Sal. He knew pretty well that there was no way for a traitor to survive as long as the Family hadn't lost its grip.

Now, he was Mike's brother, and quite emotional and weak at that. So, he desperately, absolutely desperately hoped that he would be spared if for this reason alone. To the point of absolutely believing in this and blocking the unavoidable completely out of his mind.

So, yes, he knew, and no, he didn't believe that he would be killed at his kid brother's behest. And I don't believe that Al told him anything either, just to make sure that there would be no unnecessary fuss.

As for his loud prayer, it's of course overdramatized and would probably scare all the fish a mile around the hell out of there. But then, sound propagates pretty well along water surface. Anyone who enjoyed fishing on a great quiet lake would assert that it's utterly astonishing to hear people talking some two-three hundred yards away loud and clear as if they were sitting next to you. So, he might still be praying (nearly) under his breath.

And no, I was not surprised that Fredo was killed when I watched this movie for the first time. Kay's abortion was much more treacherous and shocking. Exactly the last stroke from the loved one, in purely Shakespearean style.

Best regards.

Alexander
Posted By: Willie Cicci

Re: Did Fredo know? - 05/13/03 10:40 AM

I'll just play devil's advocate here, and say that Fredo did know he was going to get shot. I see his hanging around Anthony as being a sort of guarantee of his safety. He also lacks the grit to hang around anyone else in the family!

When Anthony is called away, I see his reaction as being one of resigned disappointment. ("Ah, shit!") He knows he is isolated now, and is going to die.

When he says to Al, "Let's go Al," I see a man accepting his fate, and preparing for execution.

The final prayer is, of course, the last prayer of the condemned man. The way he bends over, and the way he says it, I think he knew all right!!

By the way, I see a parallel between this scene, and the deleted scene where Vito kills one of Don Ciccio's guards. Both executions take place in boats: but what a contrast between them!
Posted By: plawrence

Re: Did Fredo know? - 05/13/03 10:54 AM

Originally posted by Alexander Supalov:
Hi!

I think it's again a little bit more complicated than it seems.

I think we're over-complicating things, here.

New Year's Eve, Cuba. That's when Fredo thought he was gonna get whacked. So he does what anyone, stupid or smart, would do. He runs. Mike gets home and sends out the word to Fredo that everything is OK. Fredo believes him. Then, after the Senate hearings. Fredo is exiled and living elsewhere. After mama's death, there seems to be a reconcilliation between the brothers, and Fredo returns and lives at the Lake Tahoe Compound.

Why in heaven's name would he come back and live with his brother if he thought Mike was going to kill him? Fredo was stupid, but not that stupid. Clearly,he thought everything was OK between the two of them. If he thought Mike was out to kill him, he was certainly smart enough to head for the hills, just as he did in Cuba.

Fredo, I believe, had no idea he was about to die, either on the boat or any other time.

Re: Did Fredo know? - 05/13/03 02:06 PM

Originally posted by Willie Cicci:
....When Anthony is called away, I see his reaction as being one of resigned disappointment. ("Ah, shit!") He knows he is isolated now, and is going to die. When he says to Al, "Let's go Al," I see a man accepting his fate, and preparing for execution....
When Anthony is called away, Fredo is disappointed because his nephew cannot go fishing with him. He did not keep Anthony around as 'protection'; Fredo may have been stupid but he knew darn well that if his brother wanted him dead he would find a way to get it done. Fredo would never have stayed at the compound, let alone hang around Anthony, if he thought he was going to be killed. If you look at the earlier fishing scene, as well as the last one, Fredo is much too relaxed and contented, even when Anthony is called away by Connie. He is not 'resigned' to the fact that he is about to die, because he doesn't know he's about to die. He truly believes Michael has forgiven him. And Michael knows this.

Fredo didn't know.

Apple

Re: Did Fredo know? - 05/14/03 08:22 AM

Re: the fishing rod scene.

I don't see relaxation and a lack of suspicion at all, in Cazale's performance! I see desperate, suppressed fear, bordering on panic. Look at the way Fredo stammers and looks feeble.

I guess it's a great actor who can present multiple personalities to different watchers. (that's a conciliatory way of putting it!)

He also doesn't look convinced that Michael has "forgiven" him. I think he knew that Michael wasn't really forgiving him at all. Look at the histrionic way he clutches Michael's back - I see that as signifying his desperate wish that this was genuinely a reconciliation - but it is merely a desperate wish, not a belief.

I didn't mean that Fredo hung around Anthony for "protection" - only that he knew that as long as he hung around him, he was safe(ish). He was trying to hang on as long as he could.

Which is not to say that Anthony was a "hostage", at all! Fredo hung on to the family as long as he could; Anthony has become the only member who will really accept him, as a person.

The tragedy of Fredo's character is that he has always felt an outsider. He is a futile, ineffective sort of man, who will never amount to anything - yet he is also a Corleone, and desperately wants recognition.

When we see Fredo as a baby, we are reminded of Fredo's remark that his mother told him he was a gypsy. We know from this scene he is not a gypsy; but he does not. This emphasises how weak he is, he knows even less than the audience.
Don Vito weeps over his boy when he gets Pneumonia; but Fredo will not remember his father's grief. We understand from this scene Vito actually loved him; but Fredo never will. He doesn't remember his father, or his family, ever accepting him. All he remembers is "being stepped over".

When michael announces that he is joining the Marines, Fredo tries to congratulate him. Michael is an outsider - in a sense only Fredo will understand him. But before they can become close, Sonny grabs his hand and flings it aside. The Family itself prevents these two outsiders being close.

Incidentally Connie must have believed Michael and Fredo were reconciled. Despite Godfather III, I see Michael's killing of Fredo as alienating Connie - the last member of the family who wants to hang around him. I always saw her as not being able to forgive Michael afterwards. After all, look at her reaction when Carlo was killed, at the end of the first film.

That's what I see michael as thinking, when he is sitting in the garden alone. That absolutely no one from the Family is left. Connie will certainly never forgive him now. Tom Hagen is totally alienated; Kay is gone. Fredo is dead. All that is left is his precious power.

Re: Did Fredo know? - 05/14/03 01:20 PM

Originally posted by Willie Cicci:
...I don't see relaxation and a lack of suspicion at all, in Cazale's performance! I see desperate, suppressed fear, bordering on panic. Look at the way Fredo stammers and looks feeble.
I guess it's a great actor who can present multiple personalities to different watchers. (that's a conciliatory way of putting it!)

He also doesn't look convinced that Michael has "forgiven" him. I think he knew that Michael wasn't really forgiving him at all. Look at the histrionic way he clutches Michael's back - I see that as signifying his desperate wish that this was genuinely a reconciliation ...
Fredo 'stammers and looks feeble' in just about every scene in which he appears in BOTH Godfather films.

Yes, I agree that John Cazale WAS a great actor but we have to take into account what is consistent for THIS character.

Speaking of the reconcilliation hug at mama's wake...I believe that Fredo's clutching of Michaels' back is pure emotion and sentiment, at the fact that he DOES believe his brother has reconciled with him. It's not a desparate wish, it's what he truly thinks is happening. Let's remember, it was Fredo who first asked to see Michael and Tom said no way. Because of Connie's intervention, Michael finally came to Fredo and in Fredos mind (mine too - the first time) that meant they were brothers again and there was nothing to fear.

Fredo didn't know.

Apple
Posted By: Family Honour

Re: Did Fredo know? - 06/20/03 10:09 AM

I was going to post this topic today!! Glad I did a search and found this first haha

I convinced myself Fredo knew he was going to meet his doom in the boat on the lake. The story he told Anthony about saying the hail Marys to catch the fish was nice, a story a kid would like. When he was alone with Neri and still saying the hail Mary plus the way he was sat in the boat, his back to Neri head bowed, praying, all added up that he knew death was imminent.

Now I've read all these great postings I think I've changed my mind again...Fredo didn't know after all.

But, then again....... wink

FH
Posted By: Irish_Consigliere

Re: Did Fredo know? - 06/20/03 08:39 PM

Originally posted by AppleOnYa:
that's the one thing you lose when enjoying a movie over and over, year after year. That innocence or 'openness' of seeing it for the first time, not knowing what's going to happen.
Too true!! I'm always sad when I think of how I will never be shocked at the death of Fredo, or how I will never again experience that intense range of emotions I had the first time I saw Michael preparing to kill Sollozzo.
Posted By: Raymondo Corleone

Re: Did Fredo know? - 06/20/03 08:56 PM

I second you on the sollozzo shooting scene - took my breath away. On the subject on Fredo knowing, I kinda thought that he may have thought it was possible he was gonna be killed, but then I thought that, being quite cowardly, Fredo would never have got in the boat if he knew he could be killed. Mmmmm. I guess we'll never know for sure. A bit like Fredo in a way he he.
Ciao!
Posted By: Vito's Legacy

Re: Did Fredo know? - 06/20/03 09:17 PM

HE DIDN'T KNOW, Michael deluded the weak-minded Fredo into believing he was accepted back into the family and that Michael had forgiven him. Look how comfortable Fredo is on the Tahoe estate later, interacting with Anthony etc., not the attitude of a man knowing he is about to be killed.

Fredo "praying too loud" was a device that Coppola with his brillant directoral vision so as to make the scene more dramatic than Neri simply shooting Fredo.

Who's to say Al didn't regulary fish with Fredo and Anthony? That would be Neri's mind at work, assisting his Don into luring Fredo into a false of security... wink

Re: Did Fredo know? - 06/20/03 09:46 PM

Originally posted by Raymondo Corleone:
...Mmmmm. I guess we'll never know for sure...
Well, yes we will know for sure.

Fredo didn't know.

Best,
Apple
Posted By: Raymondo Corleone

Re: Did Fredo know? - 06/20/03 10:21 PM

Fair point. I'm sure Fredo didn't know, but I didn't wanna seem to dismissive in my statement just incase. Ah well, poor Fredo, he's so weak.. smile
Posted By: Chancre

Re: Did Fredo know? - 06/21/03 12:15 AM

If Fredo knew what was about to happen why would he stay in the boat?

3 reasons for staying in the boat-

1) he was ready to die for his crimes; in
which we see Fredo acting bold for the
first time on film; or:
2) he was not ready to die, but knew he had
little choice in the matter and decided
to die like a true sicilian; or:
3) he did not know and simply wanted to fish

Ok, which sounds more like the Fredo we all know?
Posted By: Double-J

Re: Did Fredo know? - 06/21/03 02:22 AM

You forgot...

4.) He wanted to recite/practice his 'Hail Mary' with Al Neri. grin
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: Did Fredo know? - 06/21/03 02:34 AM

Interesting views but I still cannot see any indication that Fredo knew. As P. Lawrence said, why would he even consider staying in the same house as Michael (not to mention the same town) if he thought he'd get whacked. ohwell And I agree to with Apple that the Michael/Fredo hug at mama's funeral meant, to Fredo. that he was forgiven.

Plus, I don't think the Hail Mary thing was necessarily symbolic of anything to come. It seems beleiveable that in that era, that a Sicilian raised boy may have been taught by his papa to say a prayer when fishing.

TIS
Posted By: Double-J

Re: Did Fredo know? - 06/21/03 02:48 AM

Like TIS said, why would Fredo stick around if he even suspected he would get whacked? The embrace between the two was a sign of peace for Fredo, but in reality, it sealed his fate...

Re: Did Fredo know? - 06/21/03 05:04 AM

Fredo praying too loud may be dismissed as a "device", but the whole film is a "device". There's a difference between the presentation of the events in GF2 as "fact" (in which case logical arguments can be used) and the presentation of events as art, or symbolism.

In Oedipus Rex, I think Oedipus always "knows" the truth, because of the odd guilt in his statements throughout the play. This is not literal knowledge in the sense of fact, but symbolic knowledge - foreshadowing.

The hints that Fredo "knows" his fate is like this; it isn't knowledge in the logical sense, but only as a foreshadowing device.
Posted By: Chancre

Re: Did Fredo know? - 06/21/03 05:38 PM

One will never truly know, beacuse the only person that had a definate say on the matter is dead. R.I.P. my lil' bald headed tuna.
Posted By: violinist

Re: Did Fredo know? - 06/21/03 09:40 PM

I agree that the Hail Mary was purely artistic. And I thought it had a good effect.

But think about it - we all remember how Fredo reacted when Vito was shot. He completely lost his ability to function, and he wasn't even the victim. If he actually suspected danger to himself, he would never have gotten into that boat. I sort of see Fredo as a child. I doubt if he would have taken the knowledge of a plot on his life with calmness and composure. No, he couldn't have known.
Posted By: dontomasso

Re: Did Fredo know? - 03/16/05 05:40 PM

It pains me to say that Apple is dead on.

Fredo didn't have a clue. He really believed that Michael had forgiven him, and he was obviously put out by the fact that Anthony could not go. The key element in the "change of plans" thing in all three GF movies is that someone is suddenly moving out of danger unexpectedly.
Thus Fredo in GF II didn't know any more than Carlo knew he was about to be garotted in GF I.
Likewise in GF III I think Mike first realized that Altobello was a traitor when he conveniently "escused himself" from the meeting room seconds before the helicopter hit.
Posted By: Lollie

Re: Did Fredo know? - 03/16/05 10:47 PM

Fredo must have believed that he and Michael were truly reconciled for one reason: remember his reaction to Michael when Michael first revealed to Fredo that "I know it was you. You broke my heart. You broke my heart." Fredo took off light lightning. Even despite the fact that Fredo may not have been able to get back in the U.S. because of the uprising in Cuba, he chose to run away from Michael even as Michael called to him saying "You're still my brother." and "There's no way else out of here." Fredo was PETRIFIED of Michael at that moment. He was afraid for his own life.

Given his reaction previously to the fear that his brother may have wanted revenge on him, there is no doubt in my mind that Fredo was in complete ignorance of what was to happen to him. Not only that, but as easy as it was for Michael to kill his own blood, it was anathema for Vito--and most other Italian Dons of Vito's time. You might beat a member of your family nearly to death, but you'd never kill him/her. Of course, I am referring to close family: brothers, sisters, parents, etc. I think the murdering of one's own close family was NOT usual, but, in fact, highly unusual and very disgusting to most Italians--even the mob.

Also, how do we know for sure that Connie knew that Michael had Fredo killed? I doubt very much that she would have tolerated it had she really known that Michael could have done such a thing. Is there anything in GFIII which indicates CLEARLY and without question that Connie knew Michael had Fredo killed? If there is, then that is just one more reason why GFIII is so far off from GFI and GFII.

~~ Lollie
Posted By: Kaktus

Re: Did Fredo know? - 03/17/05 01:20 PM

Hi Guys.
I think Fredo knew in a way that his brother was after his blood, maybe he didn't expect it to be on that day or so soon after his mothers death. But I think Fredo (a family member) was clever enough to understand that people who betray the family is going to be dealt with. grin

Just my 2cnts

Re: Did Fredo know? - 03/17/05 06:47 PM

Originally posted by dontomasso:
It pains me to say that Apple is dead on.
lol

Here...lemme kiss the booboo [Linked Image]

Fredo didn't have a clue. He really believed that Michael had forgiven him, and he was obviously put out by the fact that Anthony could not go. The key element in the "change of plans" thing in all three GF movies is that someone is suddenly moving out of danger unexpectedly.
Thus Fredo in GF II didn't know any more than Carlo knew he was about to be garotted in GF I.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

cool

Fredo didn't know.

AppleOnYa

Re: Did Fredo know? - 03/17/05 07:02 PM

Here...lemme kiss the booboo [IMG]AppleOnYa [/QB][/QUOTE]

Awww dats all better now.
Posted By: Don Sonny Corleone

Re: Did Fredo know? - 03/21/05 01:36 AM

Damn, I missed another chance to argue w/ Apple grin
I say he did know, for these reasons
-He was hauled back from NY. I dont think he's leaving the compound. Even a 10 year old is goin to know somethings up
-Fredo might be stupid, but hes been around this business all his life.He's not that stupid
-Listen to the resignation in his voice when he says "OK Al, lets go"

There are many more reasons, but they have left me at the moment. If Apple responds, no doubt I'll remember them by then grin

Re: Did Fredo know? - 03/21/05 06:32 PM

Originally posted by Don Sonny Corleone:
-He was hauled back from NY. I dont think he's leaving the compound. Even a 10 year old is goin to know somethings up
He's got nowhere else to go. He was found & 'hauled back' on his brother's orders and was told 'not to be scared and that Michael knew he was tricked by Roth. He was definitely scared at first...but by the end, thought he had been forgiven. Plenty of 10yr olds alot sharper than Fredo.

..Fredo might be stupid, but hes been around this business all his life.He's not that stupid
He may have been around this business all his life...but he'd never seen anyone betray thier own brother (groundbreaker that he was), so there was really nothing to compare his situation to. If he was stupid enough to be duped by Roth/Ola...he was stupid enough to believe that the embrace from Michael meant he was forgiven and safe (and so was most of the audience).

He's disappointed that he can't take his nephew fishing with him.

Waiting for the 'other' reasons.

cool

Apple
Posted By: micky2guns the barber

Re: Did Fredo know? - 03/21/05 07:38 PM

[b] -He was hauled back from NY. I dont think he's leaving the compound. Even a 10 year old is goin to know somethings up
He's got nowhere else to go. He was found & 'hauled back' on his brother's orders and was told 'not to be scared and that Michael knew he was tricked by Roth. He was definitely scared at first...but by the end, thought he had been forgiven. Plenty of 10yr olds alot sharper than Fredo.

..Fredo might be stupid, but hes been around this business all his life.He's not that stupid
He may have been around this business all his life...but he'd never seen anyone betray thier own brother (groundbreaker that he was), so there was really nothing to compare his situation to. If he was stupid enough to be duped by Roth/Ola...he was stupid enough to believe that the embrace from Michael meant he was forgiven and safe (and so was most of the audience).

He's disappointed that he can't take his nephew fishing with him.

Waiting for the 'other' reasons.

cool

Apple [/b]
Wait Everyone is saying he didn't know because he stayed...or something to that nature among other things, but I argue this point mostly...He knew at the second anthony was taken from the boat.
As to people saying that he would have left the compound, where exactly would he have gone? to another family? To whoever was running the Corleone's in NY? by the time of Fredo's demise the Corleone Family had taken Car of all of it's business. Roth Was Dead, and no family Would offer Fredo protection for fear of the Corleone's coming down on them. I admit Fredo was slow, but not as slow as a child. He went AWOL after Cuba, but he knew as well as anyone that in the End he'd have to go back to Michael. Maybe he thought Going back would make things easier on him, and I think he hoped he wouldn't be killed for his crime, but deep down inside he knew his days were numbered, in that life, if you are in it you know what consequences befall what actions.

Re: Did Fredo know? - 03/21/05 08:07 PM

Originally posted by micky2guns the barber:
[QUOTE]...He knew at the second anthony was taken from the boat.
He didn't have the slightest clue as to what was about to happen. It was deliberately planned that way by Michael.

[QUOTE]... I admit Fredo was slow, but not as slow as a child.
In some ways, he was even slower than a child. Depends on the child.

[QUOTE]...but deep down inside he knew his days were numbered..
If you mean he knew he'd die SOMEDAY, yes I guess we can give him credit for THAT. But he didn't know what fate would befall him on that lake.

[QUOTE]... in that life, if you are in it you know what consequences befall what actions.
The consequences that befell his actions was being shut out of the family by his brother. When Michael hugged him at their mother's wake, he was led to believe he'd had his punishment and all was now forgiven.

He didn't know.

Apple

Re: Did Fredo know? - 03/23/05 03:16 PM

Corfrect-o-mundo Apple. Fredo was too dumb to realize that Michael COULD come to Las Vegas and talk to a man like Moe Green like THAT. Also not only was he dumb enough to believe Johnny Ola's proposition that there would be something in it for him, on his own, if he "helped" with the negotiations, he also admitted to being kept in the dark about what they were up to.

Re: Did Fredo know? - 03/23/05 06:19 PM

Hey, dontomasso...let's give poor Fredo credit where credit is due.

He did figure out how to do coctail waitresses two at a time.

He also knew how to catch a fish.

Those two stellar achievements aside....he was probably dumber than the cat on Vito's lap.

And....he didn't know.

Apple

Re: Did Fredo know? - 03/23/05 06:44 PM

Well, Apple I don't know for sure about catching a fish because we never actually got to see it. Just cause he told Anthony this was the way to do it doesnt mean he was telling the truth. Also if you look at the timing of the gunshot that killed him, he would have been at the part of the prayer that says "now and at the hour of our death, Amen." I always thought FFC did this on purpose, but now I am wondering if it is possible that Fredo was so dumb he didnt remember the second half of the prayer.

You also forgot to give him credit for remembering how to get to the nightclub where Superman performed in Havana.

Re: Did Fredo know? - 03/23/05 10:20 PM

... he would have been at the part of the prayer that says "now and at the hour of our death, Amen." I always thought FFC did this on purpose, but now I am wondering if it is possible that Fredo was so dumb he didnt remember the second half of the prayer.
lol

Excellent point...in fact maybe that's why Neri finally shot him!! ('Hour of our death amen, you idiot, HOUR OF OUR DEATH AMEN [Linked Image] !!!

...You also forgot to give him credit for remembering how to get to the nightclub where Superman performed in Havana.
True, but then he was dumb enough to spill the beans in front of his brother thereby digging his own grave when Michael might not ever have known for sure that he was the TRAITOR.

Apple
Posted By: TheSicilian123

Re: Did Fredo know? - 03/23/05 10:40 PM

Wow, I was just thinking. Fredos dumb how did he ever last that long in the business? hahaha

Re: Did Fredo know? - 03/23/05 11:07 PM

Originally posted by TheSicilian123:
... Fredos dumb how did he ever last that long in the business? hahaha
He didn't.

He couldn't even protect his father or even get a shot at the assasins. He couldn't even hold on to a gun. That's why he was packed off to Vegas to 'rest' and learn the casino business. That's why they took care of him, but gave him nothing more important to do than planning parties, picking up people at airports and bringing 2 million to his brother in Havana.

And that's why he got frustrated and turned TRAITOR. Because he was too dumb to realize that he was to dumb to play an active role in the family.

He didn't last in the business, and he didn't even last in the family.

He was DUMB, and he DIDN'T KNOW !!

wink

Apple
Posted By: svsg

Re: Did Fredo know? - 03/24/05 05:21 AM

How could Fredo know so much about Havana to take the guests for a trip around the place? Did we get any hint in previous scenes... confused

Re: Did Fredo know? - 03/24/05 03:17 PM

Originally posted by svsg:
How could Fredo know so much about Havana to take the guests for a trip around the place? Did we get any hint in previous scenes... confused
Yes, in a previous scene when Fredo brings the suitcase of money into the hotel room, he asks Mike what is going on, and Mike says the family is making an investment in Havana, to which Fredo replies, "Great. Havana's my kind of town."

Re: Did Fredo know? - 03/24/05 03:19 PM

He was DUMB, and he DIDN'T KNOW !!

wink

Apple
Apple, how many dumb people do you know who know they are dumb? And Fredo's not dumb,
he's smart, he's smart! Not dumb like everyone says, he's smart and he wants respect, but he was passed over! And thats not the way HE wanted it....Fredo go pick someone up at the airport, Fredo go run some mickey mouse nightclub somewhere....there was something in it fir him! For Him on his own. Mikey was his kid brother and he takes care of him? Did you ever think about that? Hah?
Posted By: TheSicilian123

Re: Did Fredo know? - 03/24/05 03:21 PM

Yes, in a previous scene when Fredo brings the suitcase of money into the hotel room, he asks Mike what is going on, and Mike says the family is making an investment in Havana, to which Fredo replies, "Great. Havana's my kind of town." [/QB]
Well Havana is a town with alot of fun places to go and Fredo spending sum 4 years in vages and but that he could have ment that since it was a fun place he would like it.

Re: Did Fredo know? - 03/25/05 05:36 PM

No he had been there before...remember he had seen the Superman show (of course he saw it with Johnny Ola, which Mike wasnt supposed to know)
Posted By: Don Sonny Corleone

Re: Did Fredo know? - 03/27/05 03:11 AM

... cool

Apple
I'm really to tired tonight to organize my thought too well, but I'll give it a shot...
Fredo was found in NY and brought back to the compound. He obviously was not allowed anywhere near the edge (if Kay wasnt, Fredo sure as hell wasnt either) even though Mike assured him that nothing would happen to him. Now Freddie's life consists of hanging out with his nephew. He has absolutly nothing else to live for. Anthony gets pulls out of the boat that fateful moment. Mike's bodyguard is the only one with him. I dont care how important freddie was, a bodyguard of Neri's postiton does not usually take the boss's brother fishing alone. Fredo, dumb as he is, knows something is up.
Fredo did know and "went with the flow" persay because, at that moment, what could he have done? Run screaming off the boat? Or prehaps he could have said, "ya know Al, I dont feel like going either" (which, again is asking a lot for a dim guy like him)and stepped back onto the dock.For what? As I have already said, he has aboslutely nothing to live for, and with all that time couped up on the compound, he's obivopusly hads some time to think about it, even if he did truely believe he was forgiven (which he did, until Tony was pulled from the boat)

Re: Did Fredo know? - 03/28/05 02:19 PM

Not so sure, Sonny. The way Fredo speaks to Al is as if Al is working for him. He sort of orders him..."All right Al, lets go." Not only did he not have a clue, he actually thought Al was doing his job by taking him fishing.

Re: Did Fredo know? - 03/28/05 09:41 PM

[QUOTE]..Fredo was found in NY and brought back to the compound. He obviously was not allowed anywhere near the edge (if Kay wasnt, Fredo sure as hell wasnt either) even though Mike assured him that nothing would happen to him.
Unlike Kay who was completely shut out of Michael's life and was lucky to be even permitted to visit with her kids...Fredo was allowed to live on the compound under the premise that he had been forgiven by his brother.

[QUOTE].. Anthony gets pulls out of the boat that fateful moment. Mike's bodyguard is the only one with him.
I never really thought of Al Neri as simply a 'bodyguard'. That aside...he had already been seen playing with Anthony at a much younger age in The Godfather who's to say that they hadn't already established a playful relationship since Kay had earlier complained to Mike that all Anthony's friends were 'buttonmen'.

[QUOTE].. I dont care how important freddie was, a bodyguard of Neri's postiton does not usually take the boss's brother fishing alone.
Why not? Even Neri would get a day off every now & then and who's to say that he, Fredo and Anthony hadn't gone fishing several times before this. Just because Anthony is called off...that is no reason for the now relaxed, contented Fredo not to continue with the fishing trip, never realizing that he's about to have a headfull of led.

[QUOTE]..Fredo, dumb as he is, knows something is up.
No, he doesn't.

[QUOTE].. at that moment, what could he have done? Run screaming off the boat? Or prehaps he could have said, "ya know Al, I dont feel like going either" (which, again is asking a lot for a dim guy like him)and stepped back onto the dock.
Yes, had he any idea he probably WOULD have claimed he didn't feel like fishing, bolted from the boat and probably even tried to run, just out of blind panic. The whole point of the embrace allowing him to hang out with Anthony was to lull Fredo into a sense of security so that he would never know about the fate that awaited him. Michael didn't want him to know. Sad a task as it was...Michael really planned it beautifully.

[QUOTE]..For what? As I have already said, he has aboslutely nothing to live for..
At this point, after what he did (TRAITOR)...Fredo is grateful to not only be alive, but also taken back under Michael's wing. I'd say that before that embrace at their mother's wake - THAT was when Fredo had nothing to live for, which is why he had so pitifully asked to see Mike. He was a lost man until Michael came to him after talking w/ Connie.

[QUOTE].. even if he did truely believe he was forgiven (which he did, until Tony was pulled from the boat)
And even after Anthony was taken from the boat. He had no clue whatsoever.

To be absolutely fair (even though I knew the answer)...I watched this scene very closely last night (on Spike TV), just to see if there was even an inkling realization to Fredo that he was about to die and accepted it. There was not. He was disappointed that his nephew had to go to Reno and even promised Anthony he'd take him fishing 'tomorrow' (a line which I had never really noticed before). If he had any idea what was about to happen, he would not have had the presence of mind to even think of saying that to Anthony, knowing it wouldn't happen.

Fredo said 'Let's go Al...' thinking he was about to catch some fish. He didn't know.

Now Don Sonny Corleone...I hope you're not too tired to go and organize your thoughts again.

Give it a shot, I'm looking forward to it.

Apple

Re: Did Fredo know? - 03/29/05 02:43 PM

Gee whiz, Apple, just think how erudite you will be when you get that DVD player.

Re: Did Fredo know? - 03/29/05 04:04 PM

Dontomasso, where have you BEEN ????

We've owned a DVD player since Santa brought one last Christmas!

And...thank goodness my daughter asked him for one, cause otherwise I probably still wouldn't have sprung for it!!

Ever the cheapskate....
AppleOnYa

Re: Did Fredo know? - 03/29/05 04:25 PM

Sorry Apple thought you didnt have one!! Disregard my other poste somewhere about hitching up your horse and buggy to got to town to get one.
As for the book, when you get it (yeah, it is in paperback) be sure you get the one that says THE GODFATHER -- there is a knock off one out there with the word "Returns."

Re: Did Fredo know? - 03/29/05 04:39 PM

... be sure you get the one that says THE GODFATHER ...
I've actually picked up the novel (yes, in paperback, even the 30th anniversary edition) many times in bookstores and even read a few pages before putting it back on the shelf. Somehow, I always randomly open it up to pretty good parts, like the murders of both Luca and Santino...and my personal favorite (so far)...when Clemenza is forced to ponder on how to do away with Paulie. I must admit it does give the situation a depth that was virtually impossible to put across in the movie.

Apple
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET