Home

Michael Lying to Kay.

Posted By: johnny ola

Michael Lying to Kay. - 07/09/20 08:31 PM

At the end of GFI. Michael is confronted by his sister, accusing him of having her husband Carlo killed. When he has her dismissed. Kay then asks him "Is it true?"

1-Was it a surprise that he lied to her?

2-Did she really believe him, especially when the door was closed on her and she saw Clemenza kissing his hand?
Posted By: mustachepete

Re: Michael Lying to Kay. - 07/10/20 04:29 PM

1. No. He just got done lying to God, so lying to Kay is no problem.
2. Some of the extended versions end with Kay in Church, lighting candles for Michael's soul, so obviously at least in those versions she believed the worst. Leaving that aside, though, I still think she knew that Michael had done these things. I think that from the very earliest moments of GF1 she enjoyed the excitement and exotic-ness of being so close to "the Family." I think that she was mostly interested in getting Michael to trust her with information.

Re: Michael Lying to Kay. - 07/12/20 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by mustachepete
1. No. He just got done lying to God, so lying to Kay is no problem.
2. Some of the extended versions end with Kay in Church, lighting candles for Michael's soul, so obviously at least in those versions she believed the worst. Leaving that aside, though, I still think she knew that Michael had done these things. I think that from the very earliest moments of GF1 she enjoyed the excitement and exotic-ness of being so close to "the Family." I think that she was mostly interested in getting Michael to trust her with information.
Good point. I guess if you can lie to God you can lie to anyone. I have always thought it unusual that Mike would choose to tell Kay at Connies Wedding about his "family". I am under the impression that those that are involved in families or connected. Really don't offer that information to outsiders. Was Mike just trying to clear the air of any problems that might come up in the future with Kay? Was he trying to start a marriage with her with a clean slate?
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Michael Lying to Kay. - 07/13/20 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by johnny ola
Was Mike just trying to clear the air of any problems that might come up in the future with Kay? Was he trying to start a marriage with her with a clean slate?

Could be. He said, after telling the Luca Brasi story, "That's my family, Kay--it's not me."
Posted By: olivant

Re: Michael Lying to Kay. - 07/13/20 02:45 AM

Keep in mind that authors and script writers have to inform the audience about characters motivations, etc. and about the relationships among characters. If you didn't read the novel, then you wouldn't know about Luca or his relationship with Vito or how Vito was involved with Johnny. If Michael doesn't introduce Tom by his last name, then you Kay doesn't ask about that and Michael doesn't get to tell the Sonny found Tom story. It's all foundational.

Re: Michael Lying to Kay. - 07/13/20 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by olivant
Keep in mind that authors and script writers have to inform the audience about characters motivations, etc. and about the relationships among characters. If you didn't read the novel, then you wouldn't know about Luca or his relationship with Vito or how Vito was involved with Johnny. If Michael doesn't introduce Tom by his last name, then you Kay doesn't ask about that and Michael doesn't get to tell the Sonny found Tom story. It's all foundational.
I understand what you are saying and its a valid point. I just think there is a major difference in telling Kay about Tom and how his father conducts business with an associate as Luca.

Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: Michael Lying to Kay. - 07/22/20 04:40 PM

Completely different Michael at the wedding than the man at the end of the movie. In the beginning, Michael thought he was above it all. He thought he was going to be a professor, married to a WASP like Kay, completely legitimate. He had no idea the twists and turns his life would take. He was trying to ease Kay into understanding what his family was. But that was his family, not him!

As for lying at the end, of course he did. And of course she knew it.
Posted By: olivant

Re: Michael Lying to Kay. - 07/22/20 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Sicilian Babe
Completely different Michael at the wedding than the man at the end of the movie. In the beginning, Michael thought he was above it all. He thought he was going to be a professor, married to a WASP like Kay, completely legitimate. He had no idea the twists and turns his life would take. He was trying to ease Kay into understanding what his family was. But that was his family, not him!

As for lying at the end, of course he did. And of course she knew it.

Isn't that the way it always is with men, Babe?

(By the way, glad to have you back)
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: Michael Lying to Kay. - 07/23/20 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by olivant

Isn't that the way it always is with men, Babe?

(By the way, glad to have you back)

Thank you. I still keep my eye on you all every now and then! Hope you're doing well. Stay safe!
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET