Home

Would Michael have made a good Consigliere

Posted By: Philip_Lombardo

Would Michael have made a good Consigliere - 07/03/16 08:18 PM

Instead of Tom would Michael, an Italian-American, have made a good Consigliere for the Corleone family being an Ivy League student and having the ability to integrate with politicians and businessmen
Posted By: olivant

Re: Would Michael have made a good Consigliere - 07/03/16 08:47 PM

Never having been a Mafioso, I can only speculate that the Mafiosi ranks are not populated (then or now) by college educated men. Thus, it would seem that the role of Consigliere is best filled by someone with organized crime experience.
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Would Michael have made a good Consigliere - 07/04/16 01:23 AM

Interesting question. Trying to put it in context: I assume Michael, rather than Tom, would have served as consigliere to Vito at the time of Genco's death. Answer: no. He had no organized crime experience and had rejected his family to that point. Even if he had made a sudden conversion to the family cause by the time of Genco's death, he'd have had a real problem with credibility among Tessio, Clemenza and the troops.

Real life instance: Joe Bonanno named his college-educated son, Salvatore (Bill) his consigliere without Bill having made his bones. That move was deeply resented in the Bonanno Family, and when Joe ran afoul of the Commission ca. 1963-64, about half his family defected, in no small part due to Bill being made consigliere.
Posted By: BillyBrizzi

Re: Would Michael have made a good Consigliere - 09/22/16 04:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Turnbull
Interesting question. Trying to put it in context: I assume Michael, rather than Tom, would have served as consigliere to Vito at the time of Genco's death. Answer: no. He had no organized crime experience and had rejected his family to that point. Even if he had made a sudden conversion to the family cause by the time of Genco's death, he'd have had a real problem with credibility among Tessio, Clemenza and the troops.

Real life instance: Joe Bonanno named his college-educated son, Salvatore (Bill) his consigliere without Bill having made his bones. That move was deeply resented in the Bonanno Family, and when Joe ran afoul of the Commission ca. 1963-64, about half his family defected, in no small part due to Bill being made consigliere.

Great example Turnbull..

Come to think about it, those father-son dynasties in the mob are seldom a success. You had the Patriarcas, the aforementioned Bonannos, the Persicos, the Gottis and the Scarfos. The only one I can think of that was successful is the Rizzuto dynasty.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET