Home

Best acting/performance in GF trilogy

Posted By: BigEarner

Best acting/performance in GF trilogy - 08/27/14 12:11 PM

Who do you think did the best acting/performance in The Godfather trilogy? Some say it was Brando, others say it was Cazale, others think that Gazzo, Pacino, DeNiro, Strasberg, etc. In my opinion I love Brando's and Gazzo performances.
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Best acting/performance in GF trilogy - 08/27/14 02:55 PM

Brando, followed by Gazzo.
Posted By: olivant

Re: Best acting/performance in GF trilogy - 08/27/14 03:14 PM

The actor who played Manolo. I forget his name.
Posted By: Its_da_Jackeeettttttt

Re: Best acting/performance in GF trilogy - 08/27/14 03:25 PM

I enjoyed Pacino's metamorphosis over the course of the trilogy. He's so soft spoken at the beginning of The Godfather, turns absolutely cunning and ruthless toward the end of The Godfather, becomes just detestable in The Godfather II, and then tries to redeem himself in The Godfather III.

It's hard to name who the best is. I can say without hesitation that Sofia Coppola was the worst performance out of anyone in the three films.
Posted By: dontomasso

Re: Best acting/performance in GF trilogy - 08/27/14 03:53 PM

This is like a parent to name his favorite child.
Posted By: Footreads

Re: Best acting/performance in GF trilogy - 08/27/14 04:49 PM

The land lord in God father 2
Posted By: Questadt

Re: Best acting/performance in GF trilogy - 09/02/14 02:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Its_da_Jackeeettttttt
I can say without hesitation that Sofia Coppola was the worst performance out of anyone in the three films.

Perhaps so. But she was rather easy on the eyes. At least I thought so. wink

~ Q
Posted By: Beanshooter

Re: Best acting/performance in GF trilogy - 09/02/14 02:42 PM

Originally Posted By: olivant
The actor who played Manolo. I forget his name.

Whi was Manolo? Are you referring to Steven Bauer in Scarface?
Posted By: DonKostic

Re: Best acting/performance in GF trilogy - 09/02/14 04:26 PM

Brando.
Posted By: DE NIRO

Re: Best acting/performance in GF trilogy - 09/08/14 04:15 PM

Brando..I've always liked James Caans performance as well..
Posted By: jace

Re: Best acting/performance in GF trilogy - 10/18/14 11:57 PM

Al Pacino.
Posted By: MaryCas

Re: Best acting/performance in GF trilogy - 10/23/14 07:35 PM

We seem to overlook Talia Shire. Follow her metamorphosis through all three. It is an interesting transition from film to film. The trilogy is heavy on the "guy" aspects, but behind every Italian macho-man is a strong Italian woman. Connie carried on where her mother left off.

Re: Best acting/performance in GF trilogy - 10/25/14 02:54 PM

Originally Posted By: MaryCas
We seem to overlook Talia Shire. Follow her metamorphosis through all three. It is an interesting transition from film to film. The trilogy is heavy on the "guy" aspects, but behind every Italian macho-man is a strong Italian woman. Connie carried on where her mother left off.

Exactly MC. I remember a III critic pointing out that Connie was appropriately blousey in III and that was true.
Posted By: dontomasso

Re: Best acting/performance in GF trilogy - 11/06/14 01:57 PM

Forgetting GF III, all the performances are brilliant. It is amazing how well they stand up.

I think the greatest acting is the ensemble..these pictures proved the shibboleth "there are no small parts" to be true. When you look at the performances of the characters, Tessio, Clemenza, Solozzo, Barzini, McCluskey, Woltz, Carlo, Tattaglia,Mama Corleone, to name a few, it is mind boggling. It is even a greater accomplishment that so many of the characters were reprised as younger people in II.

Re: Best acting/performance in GF trilogy - 11/06/14 11:24 PM

True DT. All of the parts fit together so well and the performers play their parts brilliantly.
Posted By: lucab19

Re: Best acting/performance in GF trilogy - 03/14/21 07:39 AM

Al Lettieri.
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Best acting/performance in GF trilogy - 03/14/21 07:25 PM

Lettieri's an example of how excellent casting extended even to the (relatively) minor characters, all of whom add to the quality of GF and II. Another is Joe Spinell as Willie Cicci. He gets one line in GF and a bit more in II. But he's so perfect, that everyone remembers him.
Posted By: Piano_Player_in_the_Montage

Re: Best acting/performance in GF trilogy - 03/17/21 09:48 PM

I agree that all actors play their part to perfection. It is a gorgeous ensemble effort.

Brando, Pacino, Caan, Duvall, Cazale are obvious. Their performance is so layered.

I would add to the secondary characters peoples have already mentionned : Senator Geary, some top notch acting there.
Also Diane Keaton as Kay. She does a lot with what she is given.

Oh, young Clemenza too !
Posted By: mustachepete

Re: Best acting/performance in GF trilogy - 03/17/21 11:35 PM

Senator Geary

Just saw G.D. Spradlin as a southern Colonel on Gomer Pyle last night. Quite a different character.

Re: Best acting/performance in GF trilogy - 03/18/21 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by mustachepete
Senator Geary

Just saw G.D. Spradlin as a southern Colonel on Gomer Pyle last night. Quite a different character.

He was good in Apocalypse Now, as the general who commissioned Willard's mission. I always remembered the lunch scene which also featured Harrison Ford. He says to Willard something like "If you eat this local shrimp, you'll never have to prove your courage to me."
Posted By: Lana

Re: Best acting/performance in GF trilogy - 03/19/21 04:05 AM

Sure thing Every actor was terrific in the portrayal of their respective characters They even looked like their characters!

All credit to Coppola for his terrific casting
Posted By: The Last Woltz

Re: Best acting/performance in GF trilogy - 03/19/21 06:07 PM

To me, acting is the single biggest difference between the first two movies and GFIII.

While some of the performances in major roles left a bit to be desired (hi, Sofia!), the lack of the perfectly-cast smaller characters also kept GFIII from casting the same spell the first two did.

I mean, George Hamilton?! Really?!
Posted By: Lou_Para

Re: Best acting/performance in GF trilogy - 03/19/21 07:37 PM

For me,the absence of Tom Hagen was the most disappointing part of Part III. Duvall turned down the role over a salary dispute. He said that he wouldn't have minded Pacino getting twice what Duvall was offered,but the figure was more like 3 or 4 times the amount. It would have been great if they would have negotiated with Duvall and got him to sign on. I would have loved to see the character arc continue for Hagen. Not even Father Guido Sarducci's appearance can ease my pain.

Re: Best acting/performance in GF trilogy - 03/21/21 04:30 AM

I meant the Godfather and Godfather 2 I forget Godfather 3 exists!

Well, may we say, Coppola save his Winery because nothing will save Godfather 3!
Ref: Well, may we say, God save the Queen because nothing will save the Governor General
[dismissal of Australian Prime Minister Gough Whitlam government in November 1975]

If Michael had died?
Originally Posted by Lana
“If Roth had succeeded in having Michael killed--either in Tahoe or Havana” Roth would have done us a huge favour! – No Godfather 3!!

Re: Best acting/performance in GF trilogy - 03/22/21 06:33 PM

Ref: Well, may we say, God save the Queen because nothing will save the Governor General
[dismissal of Australian Prime Minister Gough Whitlam government in November 1975]

Like many Americans, I don't know all that much about Australia. But I recently read about the whole Governor General/Whitlam fiasco. What a crazy situation!

That and the disappearance of Harold Holt are two stories that make me think Australia is very similar to the USA in some ways, but has an appealing bizarreness that we can't really hope to match.

(Don't take offense, I mean that as a compliment.)

Re: Best acting/performance in GF trilogy - 03/25/21 04:25 AM

Sure thing Woltz Well, may I say! Godfather can't hold a candle!! to our Great Southern Land

Another crazy situation!

Australia has mandatory voting laws and those who don't vote get fined - nominal but the hassle...Yet voted [elected] Prime Ministers get turfed out [Leadership spill] by their own party eg: in 2013-2018 [not the only time!] there were 5 different Prime Ministers

No wonder Australia has been dubbed the coup Capital! of the Democratic World

The Gangsters have better chance of serving out their terms in the Commission!

Just curious So what piqued your interest recently that you read about Australia?
As regards Down Under crazy! you have not met me!!
Posted By: Lou_Para

Re: Best acting/performance in GF trilogy - 03/25/21 10:26 PM

And what character did Australia play in the Godfather trilogy ?
Posted By: mustachepete

Re: Best acting/performance in GF trilogy - 03/25/21 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Lou_Para
what character did Australia play

That would be Johnny's second wife.

Re: Best acting/performance in GF trilogy - 03/26/21 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by The Last Woltz

That and the disappearance of Harold Holt are two stories that make me think Australia is very similar to the USA in some ways, but has an appealing bizarreness that we can't really hope to match.

It's more bizarre than you imagine. In his old electorate they dedicated a new building in his honour. Can you guess what it was?

A public swimming pool.
Posted By: Evita

Re: Best acting/performance in GF trilogy - 03/28/21 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by mustachepete
Originally Posted by Lou_Para
what character did Australia play

That would be Johnny's second wife.

Makes me smile Would that be Fontane's or Ola's

Can't wait to meet Down Under crazy! Lana

No doubt every actor played their part to perfection Flawless

Re: Best acting/performance in GF trilogy - 03/31/21 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Lana
Sure thing Woltz Well, may I say! Godfather can't hold a candle!! to our Great Southern Land

Just curious So what piqued your interest recently that you read about Australia?
As regards Down Under crazy! you have not met me!!

I wasn't specifically searching out Australia reading but I like books about travel, etc. and I think I came across those stories in Simon Winchester's "Pacific."

Still, I'd love to visit one day.

Originally Posted by lucab19

It's more bizarre than you imagine. In his old electorate they dedicated a new building in his honour. Can you guess what it was?

A public swimming pool.

Ugh! That is bizarre.

Re: Best acting/performance in GF trilogy - 04/02/21 05:22 AM

Australia is an offer you can't refuse!
Posted By: Bussetta

Re: Best acting/performance in GF trilogy - 04/02/21 09:07 PM

Other than the main characters, who were all excellent, to me there were a couple that stole the scenes they were in: Moe Greene and Fanucci
Posted By: Evita

Re: Best acting/performance in GF trilogy - 04/04/21 02:50 AM

The best small part was the dog that was startled when Michael keeled over dying
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET