Home

Today in "Godfather" History

Posted By: SC

Today in "Godfather" History - 03/15/04 06:56 PM

It was 32 years ago today (March 15, 1972) that "The Godfather" was released in theaters.

I never would have guessed then that I'd still be infatuated with the movie (or ANY movie, for that matter) some 30+ years later.
Posted By: MaryCas

Re: Today in "Godfather" History - 03/15/04 07:07 PM

Ditto. About 34 years ago at this time I was reading the Godfather.
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: Today in "Godfather" History - 03/15/04 08:07 PM

Why do I always think it was released around Christmas???? Maybe that was GFII??
Man, 32 years ago?? Gee, I was actually quite young. tongue

Seriously, I do still remember the atmosphere and excitement of that film. I had read the book before I saw the movie, so I was really looking forward to seeing it. I think everyone of my aunts/uncles/cousins all saw it as well. It was quite the talk of the family, and Sonny's death was considered "extremely" violent for it's time.

TIS
Posted By: AppleOnYa

Re: Today in "Godfather" History - 03/15/04 08:21 PM

I was 15 years old.

Though I had absolutely no interest in it at the time, I clearly remember looking over the still photos posted outside our local movie theater (now a Korean mini-mall).

Especially recall studying that famous family portrait from Connie's wedding. I knew this film was big...really big. My mother had read the book about a year before & had been pretty excited about it. But still, I wondered a little bit what all the fuss was about. What could be so serious about a movie that had such a lovely wedding in it ... ????

Ahhhh, youth!!

AppleOnYa
Posted By: angiez23

Re: Today in "Godfather" History - 03/15/04 08:44 PM

It must have been awesome to see the film in theaters in that time, i´m only have the chance to saw it in tv/vhs/dvd, because i was born almost a decade after the released, but my parents saw it and was a cool experience for them.
Posted By: Justin

Re: Today in "Godfather" History - 03/15/04 09:12 PM

I was 20 years old when the movie was released and remember seeing it at the Park Lane Theatre in Palisades Park, NJ where I worked as an usher during college. The theatre was packed every night I worked while it played there and my girl friend at the time, (Lina M) was a huge James Caan fan.
Posted By: AppleOnYa

Re: Today in "Godfather" History - 03/15/04 09:19 PM

Originally posted by Justin:
I was 20 years old when the movie was released and remember seeing it at the Park Lane Theatre in Palisades Park, NJ where I worked as an usher during college...
Hey there, Justin...that was MY local theater!! I grew up in Pal Park!

[Linked Image]

Cool!

Apple
Posted By: Don Lights

Re: Today in "Godfather" History - 03/15/04 10:06 PM

Today is a day that will not be forgotten as one of the greatest American films ever made was released into theatres. I didn't know today was the day of the actual release of The Godfather Part 1.
Posted By: Don Sonny Corleone

Re: Today in "Godfather" History - 03/17/04 01:52 AM

I had one of my friends come up to me that day and tell me that it was the release of The Godfather. They had heard it on the radio. I was born 12, almost 13 yearsa after it was released, so I can only imagine......wish they'd rerelease it in theaters.. grin
Posted By: Godfather_fan

Re: Today in "Godfather" History - 03/20/04 09:04 PM

Greetings,
I just rented The Godfather Trilogy. Getting reddy to pop it in my dvd player. The magazine Cigar aficionado had a great article about Francis Ford Coppola where he shares his secrets about The God Father. Excellent review. I was not even born when the first Godfather started in theaters. I am a big fan of mafia movies. By the sounds of the reviews on this movie, I should be very pleased. Thankyou for bringing to our attention this important date in movie history.
Posted By: Don Cardi

Re: Today in "Godfather" History - 03/21/04 03:14 PM

Originally posted by SC:
It was 32 years ago today (March 15, 1972) that "The Godfather" was released in theaters.

I never would have guessed then that I'd still be infatuated with the movie (or ANY movie, for that matter) some 30+ years later.
I never would have thought that over 30 years later a bunch of us would be disecting, probing, studying and discussing this classic movie over the internet on a computer! Internet? confused Computer? confused What the hell are they? Think about that one SC!

Don Cardi cool
Posted By: juventus

Re: Today in "Godfather" History - 03/27/04 01:58 PM

I was born in 1988 so...
I was 2 when the godfather part III came out but I don't remember a thing
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET