Home

Clemenza death

Posted By: SinatraClub

Clemenza death - 12/26/13 06:32 PM

I tend to come on here for the Soprano's & Godfather sections as this one is better than some of the other boards. I'm watching the GF II for the umpteenth time during this AMC marathon. And I just noticed that when mentioning Clemenza's passing, Pentangli points to his arm like how guys did during the late 70's through 90's to insinuate someone had a drug problem.

Is he implying Clemenza died from an overdose of something? Perhaps he did it to himself by getting hooked once the drugs became prevalent in NY after the sitdown in the first movie. Or perhaps someone injected something into Clemenza via his food or something else. I know these films are big on subtle hints, so I thought that part was kind of interesting, it's really my first time noticing it, and Pentangli doesn't do it again throughout the whole movie, so it isn't something that was common for his character.
Posted By: olivant

Re: Clemenza death - 12/26/13 06:48 PM

He's pointing to the black armband.
Posted By: Giacomo_Vacari

Re: Clemenza death - 12/27/13 12:27 AM

Pentangli is pointing to the black armband, which is a sign of mourning for Clemenza. They wrote Clemenza off cause the actor who played Clemenza was doing Honor Thy Father at the time, and did not have time to take part in GF2.
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Clemenza death - 12/27/13 02:56 AM

Richard Castellano, who played Clemenza, wanted more money than Paramount was willing to pay. He also wanted his girlfriend in the movie, and script control.
Posted By: Frankie_Five_Angels

Re: Clemenza death - 12/27/13 04:00 AM

Originally Posted By: Turnbull
Richard Castellano, who played Clemenza, wanted more money than Paramount was willing to pay. He also wanted his girlfriend in the movie, and script control.

I think he also said he didn't want to play a rat..... as the Frankie Pentangeli role was similar to the one they had for Clemenza...testifying at the hearing and all..
Posted By: SinatraClub

Re: Clemenza death - 12/28/13 12:13 AM

Yea you guys are right, I hadn't noticed the armband until later in the scene where he confronts Michael in his office in regards to the Rosato brothers.
Posted By: Iceman999

Re: Clemenza death - 12/28/13 03:39 AM

Something I was wondering about though was what Cicci was implying when he said, "That was no heart attack." Was he implying that Clemenza was poisoned or something?
Posted By: Questadt

Re: Clemenza death - 12/28/13 05:42 AM

Originally Posted By: Iceman999
Something I was wondering about though was what Cicci was implying when he said, "That was no heart attack." Was he implying that Clemenza was poisoned or something?

I don't know if it was poison. But Cicci definitely implied that Clemenza was the victim of foul play.
Posted By: waynethegame

Re: Clemenza death - 01/01/14 12:10 AM

Originally Posted By: Iceman999

The general view is that the Rosattos ran him ragged with their goings on, and all the stress gave him a fatal heart attack. There's a part in the second draft of the GF2 script where Frankie says something to the Rosatos about it, and he says this to Michael in the boathouse:

Originally Posted By: Frank Pentangeli to Michael Corleone

Sure, Pete Clemenza died of a heart attack, but the Rosato Brothers gave it to him.

Originally Posted By: Frank Pentangeli to Carmine Rosato

You drove old Pete Clemenza to his grave, Carmine; you and your brother. Turning on him; trouble in his territories -- you and your demands. I hold you responsible, just as though you shot him in the head. And I ain't gonna let that go for long!

Of course, it could have also been a tongue-in-cheek reference to the reason Clemenza wasn't in the movie as well. It wasn't a heart attack because it was a write-out! tongue
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET