Home

GF Wedding Scene Translation?

Posted By: Iceman999

GF Wedding Scene Translation? - 09/25/13 12:19 AM

Two things I was wondering if someone could translate for me,

1) What does Don Vito say to Don Barzini when he greets him at his daughters wedding?

2) What does Clemenza tell Paulie after Paulie tells him he looks "teriff on the dancefloor?"
Posted By: waynethegame

Re: GF Wedding Scene Translation? - 09/25/13 02:18 PM

Not that I speak italian but I've gathered this over the years:

1) He says something like "Welcome to our home, Don Barzini"

2) He tells him something to the effect of "mind your own f'n business"
Posted By: dontomasso

Re: GF Wedding Scene Translation? - 09/25/13 02:36 PM

1) Probably something like "welcome" or "thank you for coming," but I am sure it was not a warm exchange. There was no love lost there.

2. Clemenza said a couple of things including something about Paulie not judging dance contests, and to go around the neighborhood and "do your job."
Posted By: Don Cardi

Re: GF Wedding Scene Translation? - 10/07/13 01:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Iceman999
Two things I was wondering if someone could translate for me,

1) What does Don Vito say to Don Barzini when he greets him at his daughters wedding?

2) What does Clemenza tell Paulie after Paulie tells him he looks "teriff on the dancefloor?"

According to the script Don Corleone says: "Eh, Don Barzini."
and then introduces Barzini to someone.

As for Clemenza he tells Paulie, as mentioned in the above post, "Mind your own damn business"
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: GF Wedding Scene Translation? - 10/07/13 04:25 PM

Notice the coldness of the embrace Barzini gives Vito at the wedding.

Richard Conti as Barzini was yet another of FFC's masterful casting decisions.

Re: GF Wedding Scene Translation? - 10/07/13 04:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Turnbull
Notice the coldness of the embrace Barzini gives Vito at the wedding.

Richard Conti as Barzini was yet another of FFC's masterful casting decisions.

Yes, and note that Barzini and his group arrived late, and seated themselves far from the dance floor so that Vito would have to go out of his way to greet them. Brando seemed as enthusiastic as Conti about that meeting, which makes me wonder why Barzini was able to trick Vito into thinking it was Tatttaglia and not him all along.

Interesting (to me) also is that Clemenza went out of his way to say he "hates that God damned Barzini."
No capo ever said he hated the Tattaglias...and when they were discussing the killing of Phillip Tattaglia it was as much a comment on Sonny's temper as it was on the death of an enemy.
Posted By: dontommasino

Re: GF Wedding Scene Translation? - 10/28/13 05:22 PM

It's interesting how the dynamic works in that situation. I don't like you and you know I don't like you, but I have to invite you to my daughter's wedding anyways.
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: GF Wedding Scene Translation? - 10/29/13 01:30 AM

Happens all the time in business--someone invites a hated rival to his daughter's wedding, confirmation, Bar Mitzvah, etc., as a way to show "civility" and "class." Happens in the Mafia business, too.

By some accounts, several thousand people, including most of the NY Mob hierarchy, were invited to the wedding of Salvatore (Bill) Bonanno and Rosalie Profaci.

Re: GF Wedding Scene Translation? - 10/29/13 02:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Turnbull
Happens all the time in business--someone invites a hated rival to his daughter's wedding, confirmation, Bar Mitzvah, etc., as a way to show "civility" and "class." Happens in the Mafia business, too.

By some accounts, several thousand people, including most of the NY Mob hierarchy, were invited to the wedding of Salvatore (Bill) Bonanno and Rosalie Profaci.

That's why God invented place cards for seating.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET