Home

Irony in the names

Posted By: The_Doctor

Irony in the names - 02/08/13 08:50 AM

I just thought a bit about the names, particularly Sonny and Michael.

Santino means "little saint" and it's pretty funny, knowing his nature.

Michael means "Who is like God?" as a rhetorical question, and indeed, he could never be like Vito, even though he was the most talented son. Not to mention how instead of fighting against evil like his patron saint, he gives in to it and unlike Vito, who could remain a (mostly) good man despite being a criminal, he ends up cold, unforgiving, paranoid and sometimes needlessly cruel.
Posted By: Danito

Re: Irony in the names - 02/08/13 11:49 AM

Vito is a modern form of the Latin name "Vitus", meaning "life-giver. (according to Wiki)
Posted By: The Last Woltz

Re: Irony in the names - 02/08/13 02:09 PM

I always thought it was funny that the undertaker was named Bonasera ("good evening"), since he deals with people after the sun has set on their lives.
Posted By: olivant

Re: Irony in the names - 02/08/13 08:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Danito
Vito is a modern form of the Latin name "Vitus", meaning "life-giver. (according to Wiki)

Seems appropriate. If you paid your protection money, your gambling debt, or your loan back on time then you were given your life.
Posted By: Sonny_Black

Re: Irony in the names - 02/08/13 09:28 PM

Extraordinary coincidences or not?
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Irony in the names - 02/08/13 09:56 PM

Originally Posted By: The Last Woltz
I always thought it was funny that the undertaker was named Bonasera ("good evening"), since he deals with people after the sun has set on their lives.

lol
When I lived in NJ, one of my town's dentists was Dr.Fang. whistle

Re: Irony in the names - 02/09/13 11:37 AM

Original geschrieben von: Turnbull
Original geschrieben von: The Last Woltz

lol

The name of the gynaecologist of my wife was Musch (the English equivalent would be "Puss"). A couple of months ago she change to Dr. Loch (Engl. equivalent: "Hole").

The meaning of Barzini is brewster - female brewer. No irony here.
Posted By: Professor_M

Re: Irony in the names - 02/10/13 04:42 AM

Re Vito: The similarly-pronounced word "veto" has a certain finality to it, implyimg the ability to quash any dissent in the ranks, or in negotiation.
Posted By: dontomasso

Re: Irony in the names - 02/10/13 02:20 PM

And Connie .... Constanza .... means something like the steady one... which she certainly wasnt!

Then there's Roth who's first name was Hyman ..... not gonna touch that one!

Thomas (Hagen) means "twin" which he was not, but was trying to be.

Re: Irony in the names - 02/10/13 08:02 PM

Hagen in the German Nibelungen legend was the traitor who killed Siegfried. So now it's clear who opened the drapes wink
Posted By: carmela

Re: Irony in the names - 02/11/13 03:38 AM

Originally Posted By: dontomasso
And Connie .... Constanza .... means something like the steady one... which she certainly wasnt!

Then there's Roth who's first name was Hyman ..... not gonna touch that one!

Thomas (Hagen) means "twin" which he was not, but was trying to be.

If you come from Sicily, in the US, the longer version of Connie, would be Concetta. Of course, this is the american nickname. In Sicily, they'd never use the name Connie, as it sounds like cane (pronounced like connie lol), which means "dog" in Italian. Nevertheless, Connie=Concetta to Sicilians.
Posted By: The Last Woltz

Re: Irony in the names - 02/11/13 01:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Danito
Originally Posted By: Turnbull
Originally Posted By: The Last Woltz

lol

The name of the gynaecologist of my wife was Musch (the English equivalent would be "Puss"). A couple of months ago she change to Dr. Loch (Engl. equivalent: "Hole").

The meaning of Barzini is brewster - female brewer. No irony here.

Growing up on Long Island, my brother had a friend whose parents were both gynecologists.

Their last name? Handwerker.

Re: Irony in the names - 02/11/13 02:31 PM

Original geschrieben von: The Last Woltz
Growing up on Long Island, my brother had a friend whose parents were both gynecologists.
Their last name? Handwerker.

That's funny. Also because it's a German word, but it doesn't exist as a name. Must have been some confusion at Ellis Island, just like in the case of Vito Andolini.

Re: Irony in the names - 02/13/13 06:30 PM

Turnbull is somewhat ironic cause Senator Geary was full of bull, and the Corleones got him to "turn."

Re: Irony in the names - 02/15/13 04:10 PM

Corleone, loosely translated, means "Lion's heart."
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET