Home

The Godfather Trilogy 40th anniversary on blu-ray

Posted By: Sonny_Black

The Godfather Trilogy 40th anniversary on blu-ray - 06/17/12 03:15 PM

Just found out that it's going to be released on June 27th in the Netherlands. I can't find any information for a US release. It's going to contain a final shooting script and a Corleone family tree poster.

http://www.bol.com/nl/p/godfather-trilogy/1002004012268771/#product_images
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: The Godfather Trilogy 40th anniversary on blu-ray - 06/17/12 07:59 PM

Sonny, a Blu-Ray edition of the Trilogy was released in the US about two years ago. It's called "The Coppola Restoration," and it's a legitimate difference from the earlier DVD release. The difference, in addition to Blu-Ray, is that they really did work with different prints to restore some of the quality that was lost in the first DVD release--the "Restoration" version is sharper and has much better color.

But, I'm not surprised that they have a "40th Anniversary Edition." Paramount has been milking the Trilogy for decades with various flavors and nuances. Any day now we'll have "The Tenth Anniversary of Brando's Death" edition; the "Gianni Russo Remembers" edition; "The Mystery of the Year of the Great Massacre Revealed" editon...

Re: The Godfather Trilogy 40th anniversary on blu-ray - 06/17/12 08:53 PM

Turnbull, you're right, that's their concept. They are doing it with practically every classic. But that aside, those collector's items are mostly very well done and include a lot of good stuff.

I'm probably going to buy it anyway as I'm a true Godfatherholic. But I'm going to try and sell my Coppola Restoration first. wink
Posted By: Hisenberg

Re: The Godfather Trilogy 40th anniversary on blu-ray - 06/18/12 07:18 AM

I WANT AMC VERSION UNCENSORED BLU RAY! I'LL PAY ANYTHING FOR IT!
Posted By: dontommasino

Re: The Godfather Trilogy 40th anniversary on blu-ray - 06/18/12 03:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Turnbull
Sonny, a Blu-Ray edition of the Trilogy was released in the US about two years ago. It's called "The Coppola Restoration," and it's a legitimate difference from the earlier DVD release. The difference, in addition to Blu-Ray, is that they really did work with different prints to restore some of the quality that was lost in the first DVD release--the "Restoration" version is sharper and has much better color.

But, I'm not surprised that they have a "40th Anniversary Edition." Paramount has been milking the Trilogy for decades with various flavors and nuances. Any day now we'll have "The Tenth Anniversary of Brando's Death" edition; the "Gianni Russo Remembers" edition; "The Mystery of the Year of the Great Massacre Revealed" editon...

That's the name of the game though, Turnbull. You hit a jackpot like Paramount did and you don't let it go!
Posted By: Matty_Soprano

Re: The Godfather Trilogy 40th anniversary on blu-ray - 06/23/12 08:56 PM

that looks NICE. i don't care if it IS just a cash grab for paramount, i'd buy that in a heartbeat. would just be another thing to add to my already big godfather collection lol

Re: The Godfather Trilogy 40th anniversary on blu-ray - 07/13/12 08:39 PM

I just found out that there's apparantly a REVISED (and probably final) 3rd edition (dated May 11, 1971) of the screenplay of Part I, as opposed to the 3rd edition (dated March 29, 1971) that is available for free on the internet.

http://scriptcity.com/index.php?p=product&id=2027&parent=0

So this means that this revised 3rd edition is probably the final shooting script that is included in the 40th anniversary edition. This also means that the price for this edition is quite normal, as the screenplay is priced at about 20 dollars. The normal Coppola restoration is normally priced around 50 dollars.

I don't think I'm going to buy this anytime soon because of the price and the fact I already own the Coppola restoration. But eventually I want to get my hands on it because of the script. cool
Posted By: olivant

Re: The Godfather Trilogy 40th anniversary on blu-ray - 07/13/12 09:08 PM

Board members may want to tune into the History Channel's Godfather Legacy on July 24. It looks like it will be a history of the film's production.

Re: The Godfather Trilogy 40th anniversary on blu-ray - 07/17/12 06:59 PM

Apparantly this is how the script looks like according to German Amazon.

As you see it includes Coppola's personal notes.
Posted By: NickGeraci

Re: The Godfather Trilogy 40th anniversary on blu-ray - 07/18/12 10:24 AM

I SIR AM WITH YOU.....
Posted By: dontomasso

Re: The Godfather Trilogy 40th anniversary on blu-ray - 07/18/12 04:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Turnbull

LOL...you forgot the "I swear on my kids' lives "Carlo Remembers" edition.

Re: The Godfather Trilogy 40th anniversary on blu-ray - 07/19/12 07:50 PM

At first I thought they just used the same script that was available for free on the internet and printed it in book form. But now that I know it's actually a copy of the script Coppola used himself during production this is an offer that I cannot refuse. I just wish they would also publish Coppola's latest draft of The Godfather Part II. That would be the ultimate collection. Guess we have to wait for another ten years...

I'm suprised that this hasn't come out in the United States yet. I think you guys might expect something big. Maybe the restored Saga that was broadcast by AMC.

Re: The Godfather Trilogy 40th anniversary on blu-ray - 08/13/12 03:20 PM

Shamelessly I couldn't resist buying this, mainly for the script. If I find some interesting stuff in it, as I'm sure I will, I will let you guys know.

Also, the box is HUGE, but very nice looking. The family tree poster consists of a small error; it shows a picture of Tom Hagen "twins", while they are in fact Sonny's twins. I didn't know Tom Hagen had twins in the first place.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET