Home

Smoking ???

Posted By: Don Dallal

Smoking ??? - 05/26/06 09:30 PM

i was just wondering i dno if this is silly or not but id realy like to know : what kind of cigarettes does mike smoke in gf1 ?? i dno i just realy like to know theres a wallpaper in jgeoff site that has connie sitting on the floor next to him i think theres a pack but i couldnt tell what it is ... so any help would be apreciated thnx
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Smoking ??? - 05/27/06 04:35 AM

I thought I saw him smoking Camels.
Posted By: plawrence

Re: Smoking ??? - 05/27/06 06:01 AM

For some reason that's the impression I have as well.

I can't say that I ever actually saw the package, though.
Posted By: J Geoff

Re: Smoking ??? - 05/27/06 06:32 AM

Definitely filterless Camels... best tasting cigarette ever made! wink
Posted By: Peter_Clemenza

Re: Smoking ??? - 05/27/06 09:39 AM

Regal Filter is the best tasting cigarette ever, J Geoff. wink

Re: Smoking ??? - 05/27/06 04:21 PM

Originally posted by plawrence:
For some reason that's the impression I have as well.

Guys our age always do, plaw. It's what we rolled up in the sleeves of our T-shirts.
Posted By: XDCX

Re: Smoking ??? - 05/27/06 07:49 PM

In the "Sicilian message" scene, where they bring in Luca's bullet proof vest, the pack of cigarettes Mike grabbed were definitely Camels.
Posted By: Don Cardi

Re: Smoking ??? - 05/27/06 10:54 PM

Originally posted by J Geoff:
filterless Camels... best tasting cigarette ever made! wink
Ahhh, filterless Camels were for wimps. Real men smoked Lucky Strikes! tongue lol

I remember as a kid, the corner candy store used to sell Loose cigarettes. But by the time I was old enough to start smoking, they no longer did that. I do remember paying 40 cents for a pack of Marlboro cigarettes though.
And when I ran out of cigarettes, I used to grub Lucky Strikes off of my uncle or filterless Camels off of my father.

Don Cardi cool

Re: Smoking ??? - 05/28/06 12:46 AM

What is/was it about taking cigarettes from someone that automatically inspires the use of the verb "grub".

I can't think of anything else that one "grubs" besides them.

I'm also wondering when filter cigarettes first made their appearance.

I seem to think around the late 40's or early 50's, but it might have been earlier than that, I guess.

Back in the pre-filter days there were what?

Luckies, Camels, Chesterfields, and Pall Malls.

I'm pretty sure there were also Old Golds, and possibly filterless Viceroys.

I also remember a filterless, "regular" size (yet still menthol) Kools.

I guess all of us oldsters fathers somoked filterless. Mine smoked Pall Mall.
Posted By: AppleOnYa

Re: Smoking ??? - 05/28/06 02:06 AM

What is/was it about taking cigarettes from someone that automatically inspires the use of the verb "grub"...
I've never smoked, but personally have rarely heard of 'grubbing' a cigarette. The term I've usually heard used was 'bum' :

"Can I bum a cigarette?"

Apple
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: Smoking ??? - 05/28/06 02:18 AM

I never noticed the brand of cigarets either but thinking back to when I was a kid, it seems all the oldsters (well at the time they were oldsters tongue ) smoked either Camel or Lucky Strike. Do they even make Lucky Strike anymore?

I can't stand the filterless. Way to strong, makes me gag. tongue

Btw, I wonder how much Michael Corleone paid for a pack of cigarets back then??? The cheapest I remember is either 35 cents or 50 cents a pack.

TIS

Re: Smoking ??? - 05/28/06 04:15 AM

Cigs were about a quarter a pack in the late Fifties, when I started buying them (surreptitiously), so Michael definitely paid less.
DC and plaw: I believe that the first filter cigs to be sold widely were Sano's. The candy store where I worked as a teen (formerly the HQ of Murder Inc. in Brownsville, Brooklyn) used Raleigh's as the "loosie" cigs. Reason: each carton and pack of Raleigh's contained coupons that could be redeemed for merchandise. By using Raleigh's as "loosies," the owner got to keep the coupons.

Re: Smoking ??? - 05/28/06 05:03 AM

Originally posted by Turnbull:
The candy store where I worked as a teen (formerly the HQ of Murder Inc. in Brownsville, Brooklyn) used Raleigh's as the "loosie" cigs. Reason: each carton and pack of Raleigh's contained coupons that could be redeemed for merchandise. By using Raleigh's as "loosies," the owner got to keep the coupons.
Wow! Raleigh cigarettes with the coupons! Boy did you just bring back memories of my mother. She smoked that brand and I can't tell you how many things she got from Raleigh through the redemption of those coupons!

Don Cardi cool

Re: Smoking ??? - 05/28/06 07:58 AM

I remember Raleighs - they had a filtered version and an unfiltered regular size also.

And four extra coupons in every carton, too!

But did they always feature coupons? I seem to remember the coupon concept being introduced in the early 50's, when the trading stamps (remember those?) craze took hold.
Posted By: Turi Giuliano

Re: Smoking ??? - 05/28/06 10:39 AM

Originally posted by AppleOnYa:

"Can I bum a cigarette?"

Apple
You know, some people over here refer to cigs as f.a.g.s.
Posted By: SC

Re: Smoking ??? - 05/28/06 11:36 AM

Originally posted by Turi Giuliano:
[b]
"Can I bum a cigarette?"

Apple
You know, some people over here refer to cigs as f.a.g.s. [/b]
Don't you limeys have a different meaning for "bum" as well??

Re: Smoking ??? - 05/28/06 11:51 AM

Originally posted by Don Cardi:
Real men smoked Lucky Strikes!
Thats what I smoked when I started smoking.... probably because of their billboard in Ebbets Field (see photo below - just down the right field line).

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Turi Giuliano

Re: Smoking ??? - 05/28/06 11:54 AM

Bum, like f.a.g.s., has a few meanings. To bum something could either mean to borrow or get something for free. Or it could mean to take someone from behind. Bum/bottom/arse = same thing.

I've also noticed us slowly taking your bum meaning of hobo and using it as our own.

Re: Smoking ??? - 05/28/06 11:56 AM

Real men smoked Lucky Strikes!
Originally posted by SC:
Thats what I smoked when I started smoking
Well, that cofirms it. I always knew you guys were real men lol tongue wink

Light up a Lucky, it's light up time
Be happy, go Lucky, it's light up time
For the taste that you like
Light up a Lucky Strike
Relax....
It's light up time

Remember?

ohwell rolleyes

Re: Smoking ??? - 05/28/06 12:02 PM

Originally posted by Turi Giuliano:
I've also noticed us slowly taking your bum meaning of hobo and using it as our own.
The word "bum" has more negative connotations than just being a hobo. It can relate to someone who avoids work OR it can relate to someone who does a job poorly (in baseball you can call an umpire a bum after he makes a bad call).

Coincidentally, the Brooklyn Dodgers were lovingly called "Bums" by their fans when they played at Ebbets Field (pictured above).

Re: Smoking ??? - 05/28/06 12:08 PM

Light up a Lucky Strike
Relax....
It's light up time

Remember?
Don't remember that, but I do remember their slogan: LS/MFT ... Lucky Strike Means Fine Tobacco.

Re: Smoking ??? - 05/28/06 12:13 PM

Hey.... check out this link (below) for some great old cigarette jingles:

OLD CIGARETTE JINGLES

Re: Smoking ??? - 05/28/06 12:46 PM

Cool....that The Lucky Strike jingle is there!

Re: Smoking ??? - 05/28/06 01:48 PM

Wow! I forgot all about Oasis, Tareyton, Kent. I remember the Phillip Morris guy/kid; and that song and dance for Lucky's was quite elaborate. lol The announcer was from where? Jack Benny?

Of course the Virgina Slims "You've Come A Long Way Baby", was from the seventies(?). That slogan was big for a while.

Didn't see "Take a breath of springtime." Remember which one that was?????

TIS

Re: Smoking ??? - 05/28/06 02:03 PM

Speaking of smoking in general...I was talking to my daughter a few days ago about how cool it looks as opposed to how bad it is for health.

We were briefly watching a tv movie where a very elegantly dressed lady was sitting at a very elegant bar with a drink in front of her and very elegantly lighting, holding and smoking a cigarette. Being 7 I suppose, she asked why the lady was smoking if she knows they're bad for her...I answered that it just happens to look 'good' in the movies, better than if the woman was just sitting there doing nothing with her hands in between sips of her drink.
We did agree though, that all that smoke must 'smell' aweful...both when making a movie and in real life.

One of the most romantic, sophisticated scenes every filmed was the one in 'Now Voyager', when Paul Henreid lights the two cigs between his own lips and then hands one to Bette Davis.

I wonder what brand that was....????

Apple

Re: Smoking ??? - 05/28/06 03:05 PM

Being 7 I suppose, she asked why the lady was smoking if she knows they're bad for her
Apple
Yeah, kids have a way of cutting through all the foibles of adult life. After I joined the local "Y" many years ago, I took my then-3-year-old son for a tour. I showed him the steam room, which I'd been raving about. I opened the door and a blast of heat and steam came out. "If it's hot, why do you want to go in there?" he asked. ohwell

Re: Smoking ??? - 05/28/06 03:06 PM

Wow! Raleigh cigarettes with the coupons! Boy did you just bring back memories of my mother. She smoked that brand and I can't tell you how many things she got from Raleigh through the redemption of those coupons!

Don Cardi cool
Mad Magazine once had a takeoff on cig ads. When they got to Raleigh, they said that for 2 million coupons, you could get Mr. Raleigh's daughter... lol

Re: Smoking ??? - 05/28/06 03:08 PM

Originally posted by SC:
Thats what I smoked when I started smoking.... probably because of their billboard in Ebbets Field (see photo below - just down the right field line).

...but did the Abe Stark sign--"Hit Sign, Win Suit"--make you want to dress better? wink

Re: Smoking ??? - 05/28/06 03:10 PM

Light up a Lucky Strike
Relax....
It's light up time

Remember?

ohwell rolleyes
L.S.M.F.T.--Lucky Strike Means Fine Tobacco.
--Andre Baruch

(note to younger members: this is something old people do. Just ignore us.)

Re: Smoking ??? - 05/28/06 03:25 PM

I don't know if you'll remember this or not, TB, because I believe Andre Baruch was best known as a newscaster, but he also did the radio broadcasts of Dodger games along with "The Ol' Redhead", Red Barber, who himself later (perish the thought) switched sides and joined the Yankees broadcast team along with Mel Allen and Phil Rizzuto (I know you remember them - I'll bet even a youngster like Don Cardi remembers that trio, who worked together until the mid or late 60's, I guess)

(Edit: I just Googled Baruch, and it seems as though he was Red Barber's replacement when Red moved to the Yankees in 1954.)

Originally posted by Turnbull:
(note to younger members: this is something old people do....]
Hey....I resemble that remark. ohwell wink

Re: Smoking ??? - 05/28/06 03:30 PM

...I'll bet even a youngster like Don Cardi remembers that trio who worked together until the mid or late 60's, I guess)...
Actually, the 'trio' who did the games broadcast on WPIX-11 were Phil Rizzuto, Frank Messer and I believe the other guy's last name was White (ROY White?).

My father was a huge Yankees fan and I remember in a one-tv household having to sit through many a game during the summer's of the 1960's.

I am quite familiar though, with Mel Allen...who probably did the radio broadcasts.

Apple

Re: Smoking ??? - 05/28/06 04:04 PM

My father was a huge Yankees fan and I remember in a one-tv household having to sit through many a game during the summer's of the 1960's.

I am quite familiar though, with Mel Allen...who probably did the radio broadcasts.

Apple
And since this topic was about tobacco:
In the days before cancer-consciousness (remember the TV cameras zeroing in on Whitey Ford smoking in the dugout?), Mel Allen, doing his cigar commercial, would say (in that inimitable Alabama accent): "An' Yogi...smokes a What Owl..." wink

Re: Smoking ??? - 05/28/06 04:17 PM

Actually, the 'trio' who did the games broadcast on WPIX-11 were Phil Rizzuto, Frank Messer and I believe the other guy's last name was White (ROY White?).

Um, no.....

Allen, Rizutto, and Barber worked together as a trio until at least the mid 60's and possibly later. I'll Google it and find out for sure after I finish writing this.

Also, back then there was no such thing as one of them being the radio announcer and someone else doing TV. The three of them would rotate around.

(The Mets had the same arrangment with their original broadcasting crew of Lindsey Nelson, Ralph Kiner, and Bob Murphy)

Frank Messer, I believe, was Mel Allen's replacement, and I think Jerry Coleman were in there before the White (Bill) you are thinking of.

Re: Smoking ??? - 05/28/06 04:33 PM

Oh, ok ... I just remember those three (thanks for correcting me on BILL White) from when I was aware of the games being on, which I'd say was between around 1967 and the early 70's.

But you being the much older of the two of us, I respectfully defer to your memory.

Apple

Re: Smoking ??? - 05/28/06 04:42 PM

OK....here's the chronology of Yankee broadcasters from 1957, the year after Phil Rizutto retired and formed the Allen - Rizutto - Barber trio

1957 - 1964: Allen, Rizutto, and Barber
1965 - 1966: Rizutto, Barber, and Joe Garagiola (replaces Allen)
1967: Rizutto, Garagiola, and Jerry Coleman (replaces Barber)
1968 - 1970: Rizutto, Coleman, and Frank Messer (replaces Garagiola)
1971 - 1984: Rizutto, Messer, and Bill White (replaces Coleman)

So Allen, Rizutto, and Barber worked together as a trio until 1964, and Rizutto, Messer, and White did not begin working together until 1971.

And I am not the MUCH older of thew two of us.

MUCH older would be if you were in your 20's or 30's.....

Let's go with "somewhat" older, shall we?

Re: Smoking ??? - 05/28/06 04:59 PM

plawrence, I've seen you in person. You're much older.

But thanks again for the chronology; again I stand corrected.

Sorry everyone, for the temporary 'sports' diversion. Back to 'Smoking'!

Apple
Posted By: Don Dallal

Re: Smoking ??? - 05/28/06 05:11 PM

Wow My first Topic Look How It Turned Out .. Cool Thanx Guys Help Apreciated And Also The New Intersting subjects that got out from this topic ....

Thanx smile

Re: Smoking ??? - 05/28/06 07:14 PM

Originally posted by Don Dallal:
Wow My first Topic Look How It Turned Out .. Cool Thanx Guys Help Apreciated And Also The New Intersting subjects that got out from this topic ....

Thanx smile
You're welcome! And that's the great thing about these boards--you never know where some threads will take us.

Re: Smoking ??? - 05/29/06 01:30 AM

plawrence, I've seen you in person. You're much older.
I guess it depends on how you define "much".

Re: Smoking ??? - 05/29/06 05:34 AM

[b] plawrence, I've seen you in person. You're much older.
I guess it depends on how you define "much". [/b]
A whole lot?? tongue

Re: Smoking ??? - 05/29/06 06:04 AM

Could you perhaps quantify "a whole lot" as it pertains to age?

A 15-year old is much older than a 4-year old, but is a 57-year old much older than a 46-year old?

And hey, SC....I bet you didn't realize that you're much older than Apple (at least by her definition) also, did you?

[Linked Image]

tongue

Re: Smoking ??? - 05/29/06 06:22 AM

I knew a guy who was 45 and he was dating a 15 year old gal. (He was 3 times older than her). After dating for 15 years he was 60 years old and she was 30. (Now he was only twice as old as her).

My question is: how long does he have to wait before they're the same age?

(apologies to Abbott & Costello)

Re: Smoking ??? - 05/29/06 06:23 AM

And hey, SC....I bet you didn't realize that you're much older than Apple (at least by her definition) also, did you?
Not really. "Much" is defined by a double digit number. grin

Re: Smoking ??? - 05/29/06 12:25 PM

...And hey, SC....I bet you didn't realize that you're much older than Apple (at least by her definition) also, did you?...
rolleyes

Except for one thing, plaw...I never did 'define' it. Although it looks like you tried real hard to. (And to get others to as well)

I do owe you an apology though...I never dreamed you'd become so obsessed with this one particular subject.

Don't fret over it...age is merely a state of mind.

wink

Best,
Apple

Re: Smoking ??? - 05/29/06 12:47 PM

Why is it that lately, in almost every topic that I go into to, Plaw and Apple are going at it, back and forth, post after post?

I think that I'll PM Geoff and ask him if he could make a "Plaw and Apple" only thread, this way you two can have your little "lovers" quarrels without hijacking almost every other topic on these boards. lol

Don Cardi cool

Re: Smoking ??? - 05/29/06 01:02 PM

You've got a point there, Don Cardi!!!

Here I try to be nice and defer to plaw's age and knowledge with regard to a bunch of sportscasters ... and he STILL finds a way to draw it out into a debate!!

lol

Anyway, nothing much would amount in a 'Plaw&Apple' only thread. Too easy. Apparently for some, the thrill is in the chase.

Take care,
Apple

Re: Smoking ??? - 05/29/06 03:18 PM

Why is it that lately, in almost every topic that I go into to, Plaw and Apple are going at it, back and forth, post after post?
I would tell you why, but I think you already know.

After all, it's fairly obvious.

Having separate threads is a good idea, though.

We can start one for you too, for the folks that you always start barking at every time they make an appearance. tongue wink

(Actually, AAMOF, I think you and I have one of those in common lol )

Re: Smoking ??? - 05/29/06 03:24 PM

Don't fret over it...age is merely a state of mind.
No it's not....It's a number of years.

You want to tell me that if someone who is 90 years old thinks and acts like they're 60 then that makes them 60, then you're in for a shock when you get a bit older.

And wasn't it you who said somwhere recently that even if a boy thinks he is a man he's still a boy?
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: Smoking ??? - 05/30/06 12:06 AM

Plaw, You are as young as springtime! And I believe that your urbane wit only adds to your youthful appearance, as, although you feel that age is numbers, it is also attitude to a certain degree, and yours is AGELESS.
(Sucking up as she knows that Plaw tends to like good wine and will bringing some on June 7th).

Re: Smoking ??? - 05/30/06 01:03 AM

[QUOTE]...No it's not....It's a number of years.

You want to tell me that if someone who is 90 years old thinks and acts like they're 60 then that makes them 60, then you're in for a shock when you get a bit older...
Well then in that case, here we are back to square one.

You're still much older than me.

I guess if there can be boys who think they're men...then there are also old men walking around who think and act like boys (or let's say perhaps ... 'younger' men??).

Apple
(Hoping I don't live to be 90 because I probably wouldn't be able to think or act like ANYTHING!)

Re: Smoking ??? - 05/30/06 01:14 AM

Well, I have to tell you, having my almost-80 year old mother live with me has been quite revealing about old age. She has many women friends that she met at the local senior club. One just celebrated her 90th birthday. She is spry and has all her marbles. Another is 85 and looks 20 years younger. She lost her husband to a sudden heart attack and a grandson in the Trade Center attack, yet you'd never know it to look at her. Another of Mom's friends is an old classmate from grammar school, who lives with her 94 year old sister. Every one of them is independent, the love to travel, and they share a social calendar that makes me rather envious.

Re: Smoking ??? - 05/30/06 01:44 AM

SB, I have to say I envy you for your mother and her friends.

My mother is now 76 and over the years has allowed herself to age so drastically (both physically and mentally) that it's really difficult to even look at her. She really has NOT taken care of herself and every time we've tried to get her to, she's basically just cried and whined to be left alone. Although my father did not go out of his way to make her happy in the later years...she has also been a woman who has much to be thankful for. She's happier complaining and feeling sorry for herself than pretty much anything else. She's become the type of person who just CAN'T be comfortable being anything but miserable, and there are times when it simply hurts (emotionally) just to be around her.

Speaking of age being a state of mind vs. 'number of years'...I was telling my mother about a photo I saw of Liz Taylor (now age 74) and that she wasn't looking too well. My mother replied that she think she herself happense to look pretty good for her age. I looked straight at her and said, "No you don't...you look and act about 20 years older than your real age and you've got nobody to blame but yourself." She didn't appreciate that very much, but I really didn't care.

I know that sounds incredibly cruel...and I would have to agree. But it was also something I felt my mother needed to hear because I was certainly NOT going to sit there and let her believe that she looks any better than she does, when she could've taken care of herself alot better than she has (again, I do not mean only in terms of appearance but with regard to her general health both physical and emotional...which DOES eventually have an effect on appearance).

Well...there was a mouthful. Sorry for that venting, everyone...but I guess with this 'Smoking' thread that evolved in to 'much' older vs. 'somewhat' older, Liz Taylor and the final straw with my mother...it was time for my fingers to let loose at the keyboard!!

Apple

Re: Smoking ??? - 05/30/06 04:10 AM

My mother is now 76.... She's happier complaining and.... She's become the type of person who just CAN'T be comfortable being anything but miserable.....
OH, did I want to post

"I guess the apple didn't fall too far from the tree"

Would have been SOOOOOOOOOOO perfect

Re: Smoking ??? - 05/30/06 04:19 AM

lol

Especially coming from an ASSHOOOOOOOOOOLE

I'll have to admit I had that coming and can take it as well as I can give it.

But I gave even plaw credit for being above making jokes about what is really a very serious family matter.

Live & learn...

Ah, well...I'll have to be careful where (and how) I vent from now on. Hopefully, some of us shall get past this old age business and move on to other things. It's a big board out there and there's plenty to chat about.

[Linked Image]

Apple
Posted By: Tony Love

Re: Smoking ??? - 05/30/06 04:42 AM

[b]My mother is now 76.... She's happier complaining and.... She's become the type of person who just CAN'T be comfortable being anything but miserable.....
OH, did I want to post

"I guess the apple didn't fall too far from the tree"

Would have been SOOOOOOOOOOO perfect [/b]
Hahaha! [Linked Image] You're right, it would have!

Re: Smoking ??? - 05/30/06 09:57 AM

But I gave even plaw credit for being above making jokes about what is really a very serious family matter.
Apple -

Its not my intention to "stick up" for plaw here (mainly because he doesn't need anybody else to do so for him) but you HAVE to admit what he said was a funny play on your name.

I'm surprised that you posted something so intimate as that story. I haven't walked in your shoes so I can't speak about your relationship with your mother but I'll say this: my mom will be 88 soon and she's really aging now. She's hunched over from that bone-loss disease that women get from age, her face has taken on a hollowed out look and she loves to complain about her aches and pains. I just hug her and tell her she looks fine. She KNOWS I'm lying but she'll smile.

What does that cost me??

I probably have a different realtionship with my mom than you have with yours, so maybe I shouldn't hold you to an expected level of behavior with your mother. Who knows?

Re: Smoking ??? - 05/30/06 12:42 PM

Originally posted by SC:
[QUOTE]... you HAVE to admit what he said was a funny play on your name.
I did admit that...by positng that 'laugh' icon.

Actually, despite that 'intimate' story I do have a pretty good relationship w/ my mother. She's hunched over as well, and has that same 'hollow' look you describe for your almost 88 year old mother.

I don't mind your gentle chastisement for what I said to my mom. I probably posted the story partially out of guilt anyway. I suppose I could've just stayed silent and said nothing. But after all that's gone on the past few years (the details of which I will not bore this list with)...I was not about to allow her to think she 'looks pretty good' for her age. She's not that delicate yet that she can't handle the truth.

And get real, SC...of COURSE you were sticking up for plaw rolleyes !!

Apple

Re: Smoking ??? - 05/30/06 12:49 PM

Mothers and daughters...a complex relationship to be sure. I've been blessed with the mother I have. Nothing has ever slowed her down, not cancer, not a heart attack, not bypass surgery, not an aneurism, or a broken back, or a shattered hand (rollerskating injury!!), or the loss of her husband of 50 years, who she nursed at home until the day he died. She sold her house, moved here, and walked into a senior club where she didn't know a soul. She made tons of new friends and goes out every Friday night for dinner and cards with "the girls". She's got tons of health issues, yet nobody believes her when she tells them she's going to be 80, and yells at me if I go out without makeup on, as she would rather be dead than caught without her "rouge and lipstick".

It must be hard to deal with someone like your mom, Apple, but perhaps she needs to be encouraged, as you yourself said that your father never encouraged her. It can't be easy, but perhaps if she was nudged gently, she might get back into the swing of things. You never know until you try.

Re: Smoking ??? - 05/30/06 01:10 PM

Sicilian Babe...like I said, without providing boring details...we HAVE been encouraging her, gently nudging. More so since my father's death, but really even before that. If we hadn't been...she'd be in even worse shape than she is now.

Sometimes she responds, sometimes not. It's a bit difficult to explain, but it really appears she has made the 'easier' choice to sink into the abyss of old age long before her time. And THAT is why I could not let her sit there thinking she looks good.

So sorry everyone...I didn't intend for this to now evolve into a thread about my mother.

Weren't we initially talking about smoking? (Which miraculously is one thing neither of my parents ever did and so thankfully, my brother, sister and myself are all non-smokers.)

Best,
Apple
Posted By: dontomasso

Re: Smoking ??? - 05/30/06 01:28 PM

Which cigarette had the slogan "Outstanding...and they are mild"

Re: Smoking ??? - 05/30/06 01:35 PM

Originally posted by dontomasso:
Which cigarette had the slogan "Outstanding...and they are mild"
Pall Mall.

Oh no.... a game topic has broken out in "The Godfather Trilogy" thread. lol

Which popular cigarette (still made today) had English teachers up in arms with their slogan (and improper grammar)?

Re: Smoking ??? - 05/30/06 01:55 PM

Didn't the unfiltered Pall Malls have some kind of secret pathway through the tobacco that was supposed to make them "better for you" than the competition. I remember seeing people smoke filterless Camels. Luckies and Chesterfields, but I dont remember anyone smoling Pall Malls. And why were they pronounced Pell Mells?

Re: Smoking ??? - 05/30/06 02:21 PM

Hey...I seem to remember a commercial depicting that 'double filter' sort of thing! I recall seeing a cross-section drawing of the cigarette, with tobacco on the bottom half and air or something 'lighter' at the top..???

Apple

Re: Smoking ??? - 05/30/06 02:55 PM

Weren't those Parliaments in that ad? Hard to remember. Which cigarettes had the dancing box? I can't remember the brand, but there was a woman inside a box of cigarettes that would dance around. She had GREAT legs!!

Re: Smoking ??? - 05/30/06 02:59 PM

Originally posted by SC:
Pall Mall.

Oh no.... a game topic has broken out in "The Godfather Trilogy" thread. lol

Which popular cigarette (still made today) had English teachers up in arms with their slogan (and improper grammar)?
Hey, has anyone informed DeNiro's Sister that we are playing a game in this thread? lol

What brands of Cigarettes used the slogan " We'd Rather Fight Than Switch?"

Don Cardi cool

Re: Smoking ??? - 05/30/06 02:59 PM

Yeah..thats it a cross section of the tobacco

Re: Smoking ??? - 05/30/06 03:03 PM

DC, I can't remember the brand, but I remember the people in the commercial with the black eyes!!

Re: Smoking ??? - 05/30/06 03:03 PM

[QUOTE]...What brands of Cigarettes used the slogan " We'd Rather Fight Than Switch?"...
Was that 'Tarrytons'??? I remember the black eye being 'stamped' onto the smokers !

Oh, and I'm pretty sure that spelling is incorrect...but you get the idea!

Apple

Re: Smoking ??? - 05/30/06 03:05 PM

[b] [QUOTE]...What brands of Cigarettes used the slogan " We'd Rather Fight Than Switch?"...
Was that 'Tarrytons'??? I remember the black eye being 'stamped' onto the smokers !

Oh, and I'm pretty sure that spelling is incorrect...but you get the idea!

Apple [/b]
Yes I think it was Tarrytons. But I guess the people who smoked them were lousy fighters cause I do not think they make them anymore.

Re: Smoking ??? - 05/30/06 06:36 PM

Originally posted by SC:
"Winstons taste good like a cigarette should.

(Should have been "as".)

Re: Smoking ??? - 05/30/06 06:40 PM

Hey...I seem to remember a commercial depicting that 'double filter' sort of thing! I recall seeing a cross-section drawing of the cigarette, with tobacco on the bottom half and air or something 'lighter' at the top..???

Apple
Lark and Tarryton both had a charcoal filter.

There was the regular filter, then a little chamber filled with charcoal granules, then another filter.

Re: Smoking ??? - 05/30/06 07:35 PM

Parliaments had a "recessed filter"

Re: Smoking ??? - 05/30/06 08:05 PM

I found this "Cigaret Slogan" quiz. See how many you remember. A couple of the brands I don't remember at all. confused I only got 9 right!!! But then I had to do it in a hurry!! tongue

http://www.getcheapcigarettesonline.com/popquiz.htm

TIS
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET