Home

Michael's fun

Posted By: FrankWhite

Michael's fun - 09/24/11 05:18 AM

Hey guys... sorry for being away for so long. missed all of you.

anywho... i have a question (or rather an observation and a question). I cannot recall an instance of Michael smiling between the periods after Appolonia (sp?) dies all the way through the end of the trilogy.

I can't remember one smile, even...

Can some one explain why this is... and if I missed it?
Posted By: Danito

Re: Michael's fun - 09/24/11 09:20 AM

There are only a few moments where we can see Michael smiling:
- "Do you like your Lasagne?"
- "Then would you like me better if I were Ingrid Bergman?"
- The deleted bed scene between Michael and Kay.
- Michael sees Appollonia touching his gift.
- Michael teaching Appollonia how to drive. (Which is kind of funny because Al Pacino didn't have a driving license back then.)
If I remember correctly he smiles twice at Anthony's party: Once when the photo with the cheque is taken (a fake smile). And in the deleted scene with Sonny's daughter.

The reason why is smile disappears is simple: The Godfather Trilogy is the story of Michael's tragedy. A man who sacrifices all his hopes, all his love for the sake of what he thinks is "his family", which in fact is a crime organisation. In GFII, he finally destroys his family, believing, he's protecting them.
Posted By: Sonny_Black

Re: Michael's fun - 09/24/11 12:06 PM

Nice to see someone else noticed that too. smile

In The Godfather Part II, Michael smiles only two times. The first time is when he forced a smile when he and Senator Geary are taking a picture during the party. The second time is when he's at the meeting in Havana. And he may smile a little bit when he meets with Geary during the show.

In Part III, I recall he smiles multiple times as he's a changed man, or so it seemed at least..

But in the entire Trilogy, Michael never really laughs.
Posted By: FrankWhite

Re: Michael's fun - 09/24/11 01:12 PM

hmmm... thank you guys... i do remember those instances now! but they are, indeed, few and far between (up till GFIII)
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Michael's fun - 09/24/11 03:07 PM

In a deleted scene from GF, Michael and Kay are shacked up in a hotel room (before Vito is shot) and are positively playful together. Michael asks Kay to impersonate a telephone operator to convince Tom that he's still in New Hampshire (not in a NYC hotel), so he'll be late for the family get-together.
Posted By: MaryCas

Re: Michael's fun - 09/24/11 04:47 PM

GF 3 has a few. At his party when Johnny Fontaine starts singing, Michael quips that he is going to listen to some Tony Bennett records.

I think at the end of GF 3, Michael dies with a smile on his face, thankful that the movie is over. tongue
Posted By: olivant

Re: Michael's fun - 09/24/11 05:36 PM

In a deleted scene, Michael is seen laughing histerically at a joke Manolo told him about Hyman Roth.
Posted By: BarrettM

Re: Michael's fun - 09/25/11 12:13 AM

Who is Manolo?
Posted By: Sonny_Black

Re: Michael's fun - 09/26/11 03:54 PM

Manolo is a mysterieus guy only the core members of this board know about...
Posted By: dontomasso

Re: Michael's fun - 10/04/11 06:29 PM

In deleted scenes Michael is always smiling while doing his hobby: Making anagrams of the names of people he has had wacked.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET