Home

Is Part II better than Part I?

Posted By: DeathByClotheshanger

Is Part II better than Part I? - 04/18/06 04:43 PM

There has been endless discussion about which is better, Part I or Part II? I intend to continue that discussion.

For me, I personally love Part I because it is the beginning and for some reason I love the beginnings of stories. I love to see where people came from and who they were before the plot thrusts them into a new life. So for me, Part I has more sentimental value.

But part of me also appreciates Part II for being the bolder movie, with more themes and details to delve into. The juxtaposition between Michael's downfall and Vito's rise could quite possibly be the most brilliant storytelling strategy in the history of cinema -- and I mean better than "Rosebud" in Citizen Kane.

We all know Part III isn't close to being as good as Part I or Part II... so which one is really the better film?
Posted By: Antoni Canoli

Re: Is Part II better than Part I? - 04/18/06 05:13 PM

I prefer 1 (if made to choose).... 2 is a great film, but it is VERY hard to ever top the first of any series or trilogy....
Posted By: AppleOnYa

Re: Is Part II better than Part I? - 04/18/06 05:47 PM

Yes.
In terms of artistry, writing, intrigue and just plain storytelling...GFII is a better film than TGF.

Apple
Posted By: DeathByClotheshanger

Re: Is Part II better than Part I? - 04/18/06 06:11 PM

Originally posted by Antoni Canoli:
I prefer 1 (if made to choose).... 2 is a great film, but it is VERY hard to ever top the first of any series or trilogy....
I understand that way of thinking, but if ever there was a sequel that was better than the original, it is Part II.

And you didn't really offer any reasoning other than that. I'd like you hear your thoughts.

And I'd like to hear what Turnbull has to say of course.
Posted By: Antoni Canoli

Re: Is Part II better than Part I? - 04/18/06 11:14 PM

I dont really have any solid reasons, as I said.. if I had to choose I would take 1, but I love them both. It is hard to catch lightning in a bottle twice and the first movie was a brilliant masterpiece. Star Wars is one of the few where the 2nd movie was better than the 1st (to me anyway).

Yes, GF 2 had more of the benefit of FFC's genius and artistic ability in the script and story than 1 did (due to 1 being adapted from Puzo's novel rather then being a creative original), but Puzo struck gold in his novel that 1 was adapted from.

I do agree that the interweaving of the modern (Mike) and flashback (young Vito) was brilliant and unparalled and true art. I personally love the story of GF 1 more than GF 2 (again that is just my opinion).
Posted By: XJimmy the GentX

Re: Is Part II better than Part I? - 04/18/06 11:48 PM

GF1 is a better film overall, but what makes me choose GF2 instead is the whole backstory on Vito Corleone.
Posted By: Ice

Re: Is Part II better than Part I? - 04/19/06 03:03 AM

gf 2 is great of course.....buts it all about the book. the book is the philosophy and ideology of the series so part 1 is better. .......no luca, no sonny, no fat clemenza or abe vigota as tessio? i cant cuddle up with 2 like i can 1
Posted By: mustachepete

Re: Is Part II better than Part I? - 04/19/06 03:15 AM

Originally posted by Ice:
i cant cuddle up with 2 like i can 1
Then you're no Fredo.
Posted By: exgigirl

Re: Is Part II better than Part I? - 04/19/06 03:44 AM

For me, there's only the Godfather
Posted By: Ballsy McDuff

Re: Is Part II better than Part I? - 04/19/06 12:17 PM

For me GFII makes everything so real. The struggle of Vito to cross the ocean to escape death, his name change at Ellis Island and the isolation he experiences there. The color and the feeling of Little Italy is amazing. And how can I forget...I just want to wet my beak. Then his growth as a man until he morphs into a leader at the dinner table over a plate pasta. Of course there's Micheal's change, and how he becomes darker and is more concerned about the "family" than his family. For me, the trial is one of my favorite parts, just because suddenly Frank remembers nothing when his brother shows up. I do however enjoy the first movie, but GFII is my favorite for these reasons.
Posted By: Enzo Scifo

Re: Is Part II better than Part I? - 04/19/06 04:24 PM

I always thought Part I was the best of the trilogy without a doubt, but I begin to appreciate Part II and certain parts of III more.
Posted By: mustachepete

Re: Is Part II better than Part I? - 04/20/06 01:45 AM

In Part I and the flashback sections of Part II, the Corleones are humanized by a sense that Vito and Michael are trapped in the family business. I don't think the contemporary portions of Part II succeed in making the same case for Michael.
Posted By: Puzo

Re: Is Part II better than Part I? - 04/20/06 07:41 AM

I'd say that each of PartI & II has its own taste..
because PartI showed us the beginnings of Micheal..
but PartII was showing us Vito's starts by pulling us back to the past and bringing us back to Micheal..
Nevertheless..i'd prefer PartII

Puzo wink
Posted By: segnorina

Re: Is Part II better than Part I? - 04/20/06 08:41 AM

They're different...
Part II is somehow darker orange
I prefer 2
Posted By: reynols

Re: Is Part II better than Part I? - 04/20/06 12:53 PM

Part I is the essence of The Godfather thats why I would have to choose PT1 but the flashback scences with Vito and some of those scences with Michael in PT2 are classic
Posted By: flucko

Re: Is Part II better than Part I? - 04/21/06 01:21 AM

I think the great thing about Part II is that it made me appreciate Part I a little bit more. I really enjoyed the back story about Vito and where he came from, what he struggled with -- I think it gave Vito from the first film a lot more character and I now watch Vito in Part I with a different persona.

Another great thing about Part II is that it really transformed Michael into a different person. Part I only gave us the beginning of Michael's power, but Part II opens to a different chapter of the story. It shows how powerful he has become and at the end, he can still make mistakes that he would regret for the rest of his life.

Part III is different from the first two films so I don't think I can seriously compare them. When the first two are like one book with two chapters, the third film is a completely other book with its own chapters.

But there is no doubt in my mind that Part I is still a great film. Without Part I, there would be no Part II -- I just prefer Part II better because I thought it was more intense and had richer storytelling.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET