Home

Strasberg Vs Cazale

Posted By: The Hollywood Finochio

Strasberg Vs Cazale - 05/05/11 12:57 PM

Does anybody think that Lee Strasberg's oscar nom for GFII was undeserved? He performed his role adequately, with one really good scene ('His name, was Moe Greene!') but I think that Cazale's performance was far, far better. How he didnt get a nomination is beyond me. I also thought Duvall deserved one over Strasberg, the scene in the army barracks is gold.

Did Strasberg get the nomination because he ran the acting school and it was good politics to nominate him?

Not questioning Michael V.Gazzo or De Niro's nominations, just Strasberg.
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Strasberg Vs Cazale - 05/06/11 01:09 AM

Originally Posted By: The Hollywood Finochio

Did Strasberg get the nomination because he ran the acting school and it was good politics to nominate him?

Absolutely. Politics is all over the Oscars. Strasberg was old, GFII was his first co-starring role in a major movie, and he had mentored countless big stars, including Pacino and Brando. Time to give him the Oscar.

That said, Strasberg actually turned in a worthy performance in II. Consider that the Academy rewarded Liz Taylor for recovering from a near-death experience by giving her the Oscar for "Butterfield 8," one of her least-distinguished roles; and Sidney Poitier at the height of the civil rights movement for "Lillies of the Field," when he'd done far better work in other films.
Posted By: The Hollywood Finochio

Re: Strasberg Vs Cazale - 05/06/11 10:57 AM

Think that reply tells me all I need to know.

Travesty that Cazale wasn't officially recognised though.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET