Home

Roth's Moe Green speech

Posted By: SUPER_MAN

Roth's Moe Green speech - 04/05/06 12:58 AM

He's no Brando, but that's one of my fav parts of Godfather 2.
Posted By: svsg

Re: Roth's Moe Green speech - 04/05/06 01:09 AM

Welcome super_man!
Though it was a little long, I like the way he delivers the speech. Especially, how in the beginnning he says "your father too" affectionately and ends the speech showing his anger over Moe's death.
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Roth's Moe Green speech - 04/05/06 04:14 AM

Roth's Moe Green soliloquey is one of the top five scenes in the Trilogy. Strasberg probably cinched his Oscar in that scene.
Posted By: AppleOnYa

Re: Roth's Moe Green speech - 04/05/06 01:10 PM

Originally posted by Turnbull:
... Strasberg probably cinched his Oscar in that scene.
Except that he didn't get the Oscar. Robert DeNiro did.

I suppose you can say he clinched the nomination, though.

Apple
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Roth's Moe Green speech - 04/05/06 03:19 PM

Originally posted by AppleOnYa:
Except that he didn't get the Oscar. Robert DeNiro did.

Musta been wishful thinking on my part. blush Anyway, I was rooting for Gazzo.

Re: Roth's Moe Green speech - 04/05/06 03:33 PM

Yes, Turnbull...I recall your fondness for Gazzo and his character.

Because of that discussion last September, I always think 'old Mafia' when I see Frankie.

[Linked Image]

Apple
Posted By: Don Cardi

Re: Roth's Moe Green speech - 04/05/06 03:33 PM

Originally posted by SUPER_MAN:
He's no Brando, but that's one of my fav parts of Godfather 2.
Strasberg was a brilliant actor. And his portrayal of Roth was just outstanding. Unfortunately for Strasberg, Gazzo and DeNiro also were outstanding in their respective parts in GFII.

If I had to give the supporting actor award to one of them, I would have chosen Strasberg for his role as Roth.

There is no question that DeNiro was outstanding as a young Vito, and Gazzo's Pentangeli was probably my favorite GFII character. And it is a very hard choice to make between the three of them. They all probably deserved the oscar.

But when push comes to shove, I personally have to give the edge to Strasberg because I agree with Turnbull that Strasberg's Moe Green speech is what probably got him nominated for that role. A brilliant piece of acting by a very talented man.

The funny thing is that Strasberg is the one who taught both Pacino and DeNiro the art of Method acting.

So Strasberg does deserve some of the credit for one of his students winning best actor and another one beating him out for supporting actor.

Don Cardi cool

Re: Roth's Moe Green speech - 04/05/06 03:55 PM

I think that what nailed it for DeNiro is that he was essentially re-creating a character already played to perfection by by a different actor (Brando, who I thnk had ALSO studied method acting under Strasberg).

The fact that DeNiro had to play the younger Vito based upon Brando's older version and more than successfully pulled it off...made his performance all the more impressive.

If he had played the role without the still recent memory of Brando's portrayal, DeNiro may still have gotten a nomination but might not necessarily have won the Oscar.

As that 'Inside the Actor's Studio' fellow accurately put it...DeNiro 'completed a portrait'. And for that alone, he completely deserved the win.

Apple

Re: Roth's Moe Green speech - 04/05/06 04:02 PM

Excellent point Apple. Excellent point.

Don Cardi cool
Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Re: Roth's Moe Green speech - 04/05/06 04:03 PM

What impressed me was not only that DeNiro managed to catch the nuances of Brando's performance, he did so without it looking like a cheap imitation. Additionally, he did it in a foreign language, one that he learned to speak almost flawlessly in short amount of time.
Posted By: plawrence

Re: Roth's Moe Green speech - 04/05/06 04:43 PM

What I always found amazing was that Hyman Roth in GF II was Strasberg's first film role.

Re: Roth's Moe Green speech - 04/05/06 06:17 PM

Originally posted by plawrence:
What I always found amazing was that Hyman Roth in GF II was Strasberg's first film role.
And he only agreed to audition for the part at the urging of Pacino.

Don Cardi cool
Posted By: olivant

Re: Roth's Moe Green speech - 04/05/06 10:53 PM

Yes, between make-up and DeNiro's acting, I think he nailed the young Vito.

Regarding Roth's speech, I think his reference to a lack of a plaque or statue to Green (Siegel) illustrates the insidiousness of those kind of people. Roth wants a plaque for a guy's economic acievement, but ignores the death and destruction he left in his wake. Madonne!
Posted By: Tom

Re: Roth's Moe Green speech - 04/06/06 06:25 AM

Roth's Moe Green speech was so brilliant, it's my favorite speech of all time. I randomly recite it grin .
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET