Home

Remembering the Godfather Films

Posted By: Lilo

Remembering the Godfather Films - 03/30/11 06:01 PM

Didn't see this mentioned yet.

Film Review Discussion
Posted By: mustachepete

Re: Remembering the Godfather Films - 03/30/11 11:22 PM

I think one line is very perceptive: "The Godfather Part II, told via the timeless tradition of D.W. Griffith’s cross-cutting, is more of a study in contrast than it is in similarity and that is the film’s greatest strength." For me, at least, Michael loses all sympathy somewhere around the time that he returns from Sicily in the first film.
Posted By: AppleOnYa

Re: Remembering the Godfather Films - 03/31/11 01:06 PM

Originally Posted By: mustachepete
...For me, at least, Michael loses all sympathy somewhere around the time that he returns from Sicily in the first film.

So he does not lose sympathy for the double murder of a rival and corrupt cop in order to protect his father...but he DOES lose sympathy for stepping into his weakened father's position, protecting and expanding his Family, and avenging the murder of his brother and the betrayals of Tessio, Frank Pentangelli and Fredo Corleone...to name a few.

Interesting.
Posted By: dontomasso

Re: Remembering the Godfather Films - 03/31/11 04:39 PM

Originally Posted By: AppleOnYa
Originally Posted By: mustachepete
...For me, at least, Michael loses all sympathy somewhere around the time that he returns from Sicily in the first film.

So he does not lose sympathy for the double murder of a rival and corrupt cop in order to protect his father...but he DOES lose sympathy for stepping into his weakened father's position, protecting and expanding his Family, and avenging the murder of his brother and the betrayals of Tessio, Frank Pentangelli and Fredo Corleone...to name a few.

Interesting.

I HAD SYMPATHY FOR HIM UNTIL HE BEGAN WEARING AN ASCOT
Posted By: olivant

Re: Remembering the Godfather Films - 03/31/11 04:50 PM

When I first viewed the Godfather I had no idea what role Michael would play in it. Once I did view it, I never developed any sympathy for him. Of course, I had read the novel before hand in which Michael estranges himself from his family. Even so, I read that as his simply not wanting to get involved in lawbreaking which I wouldn't want to do either. There was no sympathy for him accompanying my read.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET