Home

You deal, you die. Michael's policy?

Posted By: Sonny_Black

You deal, you die. Michael's policy? - 03/02/11 05:33 PM

I always wonder what Michael's 'real' policy was concerning narcotics... In GF3 he gives the impression that he's against dealing in drugs by accusing Joey Zasa for allowing it.

But just like in reality, I imagine that the Corleone family was just as involved in drug trafficking as the other families.

Ofcourse they agreed to it at the meeting of the Dons, but their exact role was never made entirely clear. Any thoughts?
Posted By: Lilo

Re: You deal, you die. Michael's policy? - 03/02/11 06:09 PM

Actually Michael was against Zasa allowing the dealing of drugs in traditionally Italian (white) neighborhoods.

Going by the book, the Corleones under Vito , would have provided political protection and possible financing/money laundering for narcotics business.

Of course, in for a penny in for a pound so probably at some time after Vito's death the Corleones would have gotten a bit more involved in the importation and wholesaling and probably division of territories, but not the actual street level (or even close to it) retail dealing.
Posted By: olivant

Re: You deal, you die. Michael's policy? - 03/02/11 07:24 PM

I agree with Lilo. I think that we have to differentiate between the Corleone's higher management and its lower management (just like in any Mafia family). In II and certainly by III, Michael was running a multi-faceted corporation with any number of enterprises under that umbrella. There's nothing to indicate that he had abrogated Vito's agreement to give the drug business legal and political protection in the east.
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: You deal, you die. Michael's policy? - 03/03/11 12:44 AM

I agree with Lilo and Oli. And, as Sonny said, Mafia Dons may inveigh against drugs all they want, but they will always turn a blind eye to any money that comes their way. The figure of merit in a Mafia family is that the Don will order anyone who gets caught in drug trafficking killed because that person could be a threat to him if he's offered a plea-bargain. But he's not going to delve too deeply into the sources of money kicked up the line to him.

Ditto Michael. And when Frankie complained about the Rosatos, I read into his remarks that he was qualifying his beef about drugs: "Everything with them is women and drugs...and they leave the gambling for last [emphasis added]." I inferred that if they'd paid more attention to gambling (Frankie's nominal business, which he got tribute from), he'd have ignored their prostitution and drugs rackets.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET